Palin signs “multi-year” deal to become Fox analyst

posted at 1:36 pm on January 11, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Sarah Palin’s supporters have reason to cheer, and perhaps lament, the media news leaked to the New York Times this morning.  The former governor and VP candidate will become a Fox News analyst, signing a multi-year deal for appearances as a political pundit.  That gives Palin an even larger stage, but might mean that she’s looking at a longer game plan than some may want:

The network confirmed that Ms. Palin will appear on the network’s programming on a regular basis as part of a multi-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Ms. Palin will not have her own regular program, one person familiar with the deal said, though she will host an occasional series that will run on the network from time to time. This person would not elaborate, but the network does have a precedent for such a series. Oliver L. North is the host of an occasionally running documentary series on the military called “War Stories.”

It’s a good move on Palin’s part.  She gets more national exposure, which never hurts anyone’s political ambitions.  Fox News may be already attracting her core supporters, but her appearances will receive a great deal of scrutiny from the Left as well.  The regular to-and-fro on politics will allow Palin to expand her credibility and build a broader base of support for her political ambitions.

However, a multi-year deal may mean that Palin will wait to run for higher office.  She could either go for the Senate or the presidency next, but either way, she’d have to start building a campaign no later than a year from now.   Media outlets generally cut off analysts when they start building campaigns to avoid the necessity of giving opponents free air time for responses.  A multiyear deal doesn’t preclude the possibility of entering into a campaign in 2011, but it indicates that Palin isn’t yet envisioning such a step.

That’s not necessarily a bad idea anyway.  Palin is young and has plenty of opportunity to run for office, with 2016, 2020, and 2024 all being very realistic for her in terms of presidential campaigns.  The Fox appearances will give her an opportunity to hone her craft while keeping expectations in check.  Taking her time would be a smart move, and at least since her resignation from office, Palin has been making a series of smart moves.

But for those who wanted a Palin run in 2012, this could be a temporary disappointment.

Update: HA commenter Cubachi notes via Twitter that Roger Stone predicted this in July:

Palin has the most valuable commodity a Presidential candidate can have – a base. Between roughly 23% of Americans and 68% of Republicans have a favorable view of Palin. She alone has the kind of intense following. She alone can fill a large hall or small stadium anywhere in Republican Country. This is similar to the following that sustained Nixon through two defeats and his ‘self-destruction’ in 1962 to win the White House in 1968.

Like Nixon, Palin needs some rehabilitation to her political image caused by the relentless attacks of the elitist media, the knife-work of the relatively talentless Republican Party pros like Steve Schmidt and her own self-inflicted wounds from the post election period that were born out of inexperience at this level of political combat. Like Nixon, Palin can re-make herself in the controlled environment of television. Instead of being tortured by smug media types like Katie Couric, Palin can demonstrate her better understanding of issues and articulate a case against Obama. She can be folksy and plain-spoken and above all, ‘smart.’ All hail the Conservative Oprah!

The “New Palin” is crucial to the expansion beyond her base of true believers to be a viable presidential candidate. The obvious place for Palin to re-tool her political image is FOX television. FOX’s viewers are Palin’s potential voters. It is ironic that FOX president Roger Ailes is the genius TV producer who erased candidate Nixon’s flaws in a controlled environment and facilitated the greatest political comeback in American history, is at the helm at FOX.

Not ironic, but perhaps providential.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

I think she’ll be content to let the GOP cut its own throat in its own way.

ddrintn on January 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Bruno Strozek on January 11, 2010 at 11:09 PM

You named 4 GOP Mondales there. But my gut feeling is that Palin will never run or be nominated, so relax. There’s just too much resistance against her from within the Republican party. So, they can nominate whatever bland sacrifical lamb they want, as far as I’m concerned.

ddrintn on January 11, 2010 at 6:05 PM

They didn’t want Reagan either. hell, when the PEOPLE nominated him, “the establishment” ran Anderson as a indie!

Tell me again how that worked out!

This is as stupid an idea as hosting “Death Valley Days”

bill30097 on January 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Excellent!

For those that don’t know, Ronald Reagan hosted “Death Valley Days.”

This is a Reagan two-fer!!

Look folks, every single thing Sarah is doing has already been successfully done by the great Renaldus Magnus. All Sarah is doing is putting her unique touch on it.

The path Sarah is taking is a proven path to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

This move, like pretty much every move she makes, is brilliant, and inspired. Sarah is a natural politician and a natural strategist.

This gives her a high profile position on the number one cable new network where she can say what she wants AND get paid for it!

In other words, she is going to get tons of free commercial air time to campaign, plus a fist full of dollars!

How many other politicians could pull that off, besides her and Huckabee? And Huckabee doesn’t do any hard analysis. His show is basically Hee-Haw for the 21st century, nothing more.

gary4205 on January 11, 2010 at 11:13 PM

So does this mean the Palinistas will finally get behind a realistic candidate for 2012? If so, happy days!

Speedwagon82 on January 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Palinistas will most likely go for whomever Sarah endo’s.

Tell me … what is best? Being King?

Or Kingmaker?

HondaV65 on January 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM

LOL … I like the trolls in here who say Sarah can’t win.

Well…

Let me assure you.

She would beat Obama.

And she would beat him TODAY.

HondaV65 on January 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM

A lament over the lack of “conservatoive” candidates with “guts, money and name” after a snark about Palin’s “quitting”. There’s your answer. None are going to be good enough.
ddrintn on January 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Just like anyone with an “R” next to his/her name is good enough for “conservatives”, right?
I don’t care for Mrs. Palin, the politician, for a number of reasons: She has yet to write or speak on her systematic political philosophy, public policy views, or any semblance of a holistic foreign policy by which she would base her military and diplomatic decisions. Then you have her illegal immigration views, views on feminism, TARP, among other things, that show us more about her thoughts and convictions than any words she or others may say in a speech.
In 500-word answers, I’d love for each candidate to answer the following:
1. What is the role of the President?
2. What is the role of Congress and the Supreme Court?
3. What is the purpose of government?
4. What role, if any, should the government play in the economy?
5. What is your foreign policy, not in reference to any particular country, but as a holistic policy?
6. What is the role of the military, and how would you use it?
7. From where do you derive your world view?
8. Is the Constitution a “living” document? If so, how?
9. What are your views on state vs. federal roles?
10. What is the most just and revenue-maximizing form of taxation?
11. What makes you qualified for this position?
12. How would you improve the American education system?
13. When does life begin?
14. How would you increase national security?
15. What is your vision for the nation?

Send_Me on January 11, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Speedwagon82 on January 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM

It means we will be voting for candidates she supports – whether they be Republican, Democrat, or 3rd Party (or we stay home and don’t vote Mittens or the rest of the mealy mouthed wish-washy has-beens).

Mr Purple on January 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Of course they aren’t, given the way “conservatives” eat their own.

Well, on that basis you don’t care for any potential GOP candidate.

In 500-word answers, I’d love for each candidate to answer the following:

Send_Me on January 11, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I’ve had professors that could give you absolutely beautiful, compelling answers to every one of those questions. I wouldn’t want them anywhere NEAR the White House, though.

ddrintn on January 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM

The meaning being she hasn’t been interviewed by Couric or Gibson since.
ddrintn on January 11,

Who is/are/what Couric or Gibson?

DSchoen on January 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Tell me … what is best? Being King?Or Kingmaker?HondaV65 on January 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM

In the immortal words of Mel Brooks:

“It’s good to be the King!”

trigon on January 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Dude, she’s the sainted mother of a speshul snowflayke chyld.
Dark-Star on January 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM

You really hate children, don’t you?

When are you going to start supporting your own children, you deadbeat dad?

You really are disgusting.

atheling on January 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Speedwagon82′s sentiment sounds like Democratic groupthink. I don’t owe anyone my vote. I don’t even have to vote, unless I actually like a candidate. Most voters feel this way. It’s why McCain lost the GE but beat the others in a primary.

chunderroad on January 11, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Does it seem as though the posters who harbor the greatest contempt for Sarah Palin are also the biggest most putrid human-hating scumbag a__holes on the board, or is it just me?

Aitch748 on January 11, 2010 at 3:05 PM

atheling on January 11, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Send_Me on January 11, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Let me guess: You haven’t read her book?

NoLeftTurn on January 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM

***
AWESOME NEWS! Go gettum, Sarah’Cuda. Sarah Palin for POTUS, John (stasch) Bolton for V.P. The America First ticket for 2012.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on January 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM

This is going to be awesome. Huge boost to Fox, and Sarah gets to sharpen her weapons. An unstoppable force, America.

DRILL BABY DRILL

John the Libertarian on January 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM

In 500-word answers, I’d love for each candidate to answer the following:
Send_Me on January 11, 2010

Why?

The point of communication is to communicate, not fill a 500-word quota.

Btw, do you know the meanings of the questions you ask?

5.What is your foreign policy, not in reference to any particular country, but as a holistic policy?

Holistic foreign policy?

Holistic, as in “total”?

Simple. What ever is best for the USA.

A few years ago Sen John Kerry was giving a speech on the floor. It was 23 pages long, Some Senators just got up and walked out cuz they were board to tears (even the Dems).

In short, I read the speech and it could have been reduced to simple this.

“Mr. President, either Blank or get off the pot”

The point of communication is to communicate, not fill a 500-word quota.

If you were actually edumacated and enlighted youed nowed dat!

DSchoen on January 12, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Another right move by the Cuda.

She will be positioned to either run if Obama is weak or go for Senate or something else til 2016 if Obama moves back to the middle like Clinton.

She is coiling like a rattlesnake and saying “You tread on my Americans, I strike you in 2012.”

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 12:47 AM

What would make me laugh myself to death is if on BOR’s show tomorrow, she whips out a RED CELLPHONE and tells BO on TV that he can call anytime if he has a problem with it.

Mr. President, simply call my red cellphone. You HAVE the number.

Then whip out a nightstick and whack the phone.

NOT!

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Send_Me on January 11, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Uh, she wrote a book delineating all that.

I have noticed that the greatest thing in common held by all purportedly conservative Palin critics* is ignorance.

Now don’t you feel like a fool for writing what ends up being just an example of foolish irony?

atheling on January 12, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Aitch748 on January 11, 2010 at 3:05 PM

atheling on January 11, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Dang it. I answered incorrectly. I meant to say, yes you’re right, they are.

atheling on January 12, 2010 at 12:59 AM

She can co-host a special on the Korean War with Ollie North and talk to veterans including Korean civilians, AND go over the reasons for the partition after WW2.

Most Americans don’t know why it was split in the first place. Heck, according to Schmidt she didn’t know. I don’t know. I only know the Cuda pulled an Inchon on Axelrod & Co. when she resigned, went national, and began her nightstick campaign on the One.

Does anybody know why it was split in the first place? Was it because the Russians declared war on Japan before the surrender and in addition to Manchuria, they pushed into the northern half of Korea?

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:03 AM

dnlchisholm on January 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Sorry, but I’m not doing sh*t for him.

I’ll take my chances on a second O term and my guns.

Mitt will have no stomach to fight. He is a moderate and will not stop government from growing.

We need the GOP equivalent of Ray Lewis in there hitting fast and hard every thing the Left tries and then hit them some more.

Mitt is a puss*. No offense intended to the ladyfold here at HotAir.

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:07 AM

bopbottle on January 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM

It ain’t his religion. He just is a moderate that’s all.

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Well, on that basis you don’t care for any potential GOP candidate.

Probably not, which is my point.

ddrintn on January 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Because they were wrong?

Let me guess: You haven’t read her book?
NoLeftTurn on January 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Not yet. I’m still working through Thomas Sowell’s “Basic Economics” and just started Mao’s book “On Guerrilla Warfare”. Unless Mrs. Palin’s book discusses her political philosophy and/or worldview, then I’m frankly not interested at this time. I have other priorities right now.

Send_Me on January 12, 2010 at 1:13 AM

SrahCuda on Fox,Awesome!

She is making her moves!!

canopfor on January 12, 2010 at 1:14 AM

I fantasy is that she covers the March for Life and interviews me about being a Notre Dame 88′er.

We could talk religion and the importance of mercy and forgiveness.

Then she nightsticks Fr. Jenkins of ND and he has the prosecutor drop the cases.

OK, I’m kidding about that last part. Wouldn’t want it to read back to me at my trial.

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Send_Me on January 12, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Oh, excuse me, I thought you were just an ignorant fool.

Now I see that you’re really an ignorant ass by choice.

atheling on January 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Korea was a Japanese possession prior to WWII. After the war ended, as part of the agreements at the Potsdam Conference, the US occupied the southern part of the peninsula and the Soviets got the north.

trigon on January 12, 2010 at 1:27 AM

I just want to say, everybody here has me laughing a lot.

Great thread.

Dark-Star should simply make a sincere apology. Be a man about it. Not all trolls are consciousless, just 99.99999%. He needs to be the 0.00001%.

(But Rywall is beyond help)

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:31 AM

trigon on January 12, 2010 at 1:27 AM

I figured the Russkies had boots on it at the time and simple kept it commie.

Potsdam, where FDR sold everybody out.

Sarah needs to do a special report or story about Katyn Forest Massacre and visit the memorial in Poland. I believe the site of the massacre is in Russia.

That would be very moving, a solid heavy story about the horrors of communism. The only problem is that knowing Sarah, she would choke up and tears would form while trying to do the story of this massacre and she might not finish it the first take.

The Polish people would remember her like they remembered Reagan.

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Hey, while driving through the heartland in Indiana, I played the soundtrack of “The Natural”. I thought of Sarah.

Somebody needs to do a vid with that music.

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Another place Sarah could do a heavy-hitting story is in Cambodia, or interviewing people who survived the killing fields.

By reminding us of why huge government is bad and ideology kills people in huge numbers in its attempt to make us ‘perfect’

Year Zero anyone?

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Send_Me on January 12, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Of course it discusses her political philosophy and worldview.

John the Libertarian on January 12, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Very nice gig!

I wish I could be an analyst for FOX instead of just a super analyst or whatnot in a Walter Mitty fashion. I know, get a life . . . .

Getting a life, Boss!

Okay, Boy!

Sherman1864 on January 12, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Mr. President, simply call my red cellphone. You HAVE the number.

Then whip out a nightstick and whack the phone.

NOT!

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Oh, that would be the most awesomely awesome TV evah!

gary4205 on January 12, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Which racist hatemonger? I don’t watch O’Reilly much anymore…

uncivilized on January 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Marc Lamont Hill,
they say he is some kind of Professor
He was fired by Murdoch but he is back

macncheez on January 12, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Anybody have an update on the San Carlos, CA case against the guy who wanted to put the photo of Sarah with the President 2012 message on the moster billboard off of Bayshore 101 freeway?

AnninCA, have you got an update?

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM

The city of San Carlos slapped a blanket ban on all giant billboards, even while the case was in a Fed court

They take freedom of speech very seriously over here !

macncheez on January 12, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Sarah Palin seems like a good person. But supporting her for president is like a liberal supporting Barack Obama for president… it’s just stupid.

Opinionnation on January 12, 2010 at 3:55 AM

Cool. I’ll be watching. Hope its not too much in the hen house though. As far as her gettig herself out there, its a great move. We’re starving for it.

johnnyU on January 12, 2010 at 4:48 AM

Maybe BOR will move on to someplace else and leave the show to SP? A lot of conservatives really hate BOR.

Friendly21 on January 12, 2010 at 6:42 AM

I would LOVE to see Sarah become a regular or semi regular on Special Report’s panel. OT bit here: I’m watching last night’s episode and having Juan William in Charles Krauthammer’s seat is blasphemy.

darwin-t on January 12, 2010 at 7:00 AM

Hmmmm.

“Media outlets generally cut off analysts when they start building campaigns to avoid the necessity of giving opponents free air time for responses. ”

But if FOX took the position that since Palin herself was on the air that any opposing candidates would personally have to be on air rather than any spokesmen AND that such responses would have to be on the same show … in essence that would result in multiple debates but completely under FOXs control.

memomachine on January 12, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Opinionnation on January 12, 2010 at 3:55 AM

Why would it be stupid? Even if I voted for McCain, I can understand why my liberal friends voted for Obama. I thought his policies would be disastrous for this country, but I think those who voted for him meant well and supported the policies he ran on.

Sarah Palin has infinitely more experience than Obama had when he ran. She has a solid record of achievements and a political philosophy more in line with my own and many other voters, judging by the response to her book and the crowds at her speaking engagements. I think Sarah Palin would make a great President.

alliebobbitt on January 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM

AnninCA, have you got an update?

Sapwolf on January 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Wow, no from here. But then I can barely find Krogers.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Well, I think it’s a very smart move on her part, and she’ll maintain control, no doubt, of her contribution content.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM

When are you going to start supporting your own children, you deadbeat dad?

atheling on January 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Sigh. One more time, for all the mealymouthed wingnuts who seem to have their fact-filters engaged:

I DO NOT have children, am NOT married, and will not even consider changing that status until I am able to support a family on my own.

Dark-Star on January 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Oh, excuse me, I thought you were just an ignorant fool.
Now I see that you’re really an ignorant ass by choice.
atheling on January 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Oh, well, since you’ve resorted to calling me names, I suppose I will drop all of my deployment preparations, forget about reading caliber books like Thomas Sowell’s works, and put off learning more about insurgencies from a master like Mao just to read an autobiography by Sarah Palin. What was I thinking?

The point of communication is to communicate, not fill a 500-word quota.
If you were actually edumacated and enlighted youed nowed dat!
DSchoen on January 12, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Seriously? My point is that no longer are politicians concerning themselves with such questions. They could use 50 or 500,000 words for all I care. I just wish statesmen would actually write articles and books on these topics, like the days of old, not just memoirs. But hey, to assuage any anger from those who claim this is her magnus opus of political philosophy and public policy, I’ll read through it at the PX while I’m at lunch today. Based upon my readings of her book thus far (the first few pages available on Amazon), it should only take that long.

Send_Me on January 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM

The Fox appearances will give her an opportunity to hone her craft while keeping expectations in check. Taking her time would be a smart move, and at least since her resignation from office, Palin has been making a series of smart moves.

She’s definitely working her way slowly to something huge. This is probably a step in her living her dreams–her degree is in communications with a focus on journalism. Her star power is larger than life to just be making an occasional appearance on FOX. Whatever it is, she’s got my respect and support 100%. FOX will make a much more powerful platform than Facebook in the meantime.

RepubChica on January 12, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Dang it. I answered incorrectly. I meant to say, yes you’re right, they are.

atheling on January 12, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Heh. Now that we can agree on! While we’re talking about Sarah Palin, I must say that the article by Halperin and the other douchebag is one of the most biased I have ever read. McCain “foisted” her upon the world? Are they sh*tting me? Maybe if they weren’t so f*cking stupid, they would do their research beyond finding ways to kiss Obama’s a$$ and read up on all governors in the United States, whether they’re governors of Wyoming or Pennsylvania. Elitist morons.

NathanG on January 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM

And one more thing: Notice how there is nothing negative said in the article, and probably not in the book either, about Obama. Not surprising. Maybe they should own up to “foisting” Obama on the world, along with Newsweek, CNN, MSNBC, New York Times……….

NathanG on January 12, 2010 at 11:17 AM

How come Ed’s post on Palin show such a good looking picture, while AP’s always that squint?

Sir Napsalot on January 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

What I thought was really funny was how this news completely eclipsed the Schmidt 60 Minutes deal.

Talk about cutting off the 24 hour cycle in 12 hours. *haha

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 12:22 PM

ROMNEY 2012 = 2ND TERM FOR OBAMA!

Beck’s prophecy will be so much in play here!

Palin, I beg you to run in 2012.

TheAlamos on January 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM

What was I thinking?

Send_Me on January 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM

You were the one who declared that the reason you couldn’t support Palin was because she had neveer answered your list of questions.

Then when someone points out that she has answered your questions and tells you were those answers can be found, you declare that you can’t be bothered.

It just shows that you are not being honest in your complaints.

MarkTheGreat on January 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Palin, I predict, will set new records for viewership, just as she did with her book.

It’ll be fun, fun, fun to watch.

AnninCA on January 12, 2010 at 2:11 PM

And crush Couric in the ratings while doing it!

CliffHanger on January 12, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Looking forward to her uninformed views on a range of topics. Perhaps she now knows why there are two Koreas and who her son was fighting in Afghanistan.

lexhamfox on January 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM

lexhamfox on January 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Speaking of uninformed, her son was fighting in Iraq. Thanks for playing…

joejm65 on January 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM

lexhamfox on January 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM

You were a lot funnier at Captains’ Quarters, lex.

Del Dolemonte on January 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM

And she would beat him TODAY.

HondaV65 on January 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM

You overestimate Palin’s talent, and underestimate the stupidity of the American people.

In other words: LOL!

2Brave2Bscared on January 12, 2010 at 10:06 PM

CUDA

Metro on January 12, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Send_Me on January 12,

Really? So why the

“In 500-word answers, I’d love for each candidate to answer the following:

Request?

Thanks for answering my question,

“do you know the meanings of the questions you ask?”

Apparently you don’t.

“those who claim this is her magnus opus of political philosophy and public policy, I’ll read through it at the PX while I’m at lunch today. Based upon my readings of her book thus far (the first few pages available on Amazon), it should only take that long.
Send_Me on January 12”

Ah, ya.

Did you read Obama’s “

magnus opus of political philosophy

” known as “Dreams of my Father”

Here’s the first paragraph.

“The apartment was small, with slanting floors and irregular heat and a buzzer downstairs that didn’t work, so that visitors had to call ahead from a pay phone at the corner gas station, where a black Doberman the size of a wolf paced through the night in vigilant patrol, its jaws clamped around an empty beer bottle.”

And this is from a Harvard grad! ROFLMAO!

DSchoen on January 13, 2010 at 12:24 AM