Freakishly hulking slugger: Oh yeah, I used steroids when I broke the home run record

posted at 9:05 pm on January 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

And so a shoe that’s been hanging in mid-air for more than 10 years finally drops, due largely to his being named Cardinals hitting coach and wanting to put the rumors behind him. Two clips for you here, one brief one of McGwire talking to Costas about ‘roiding up since the early 90s and the other of his longtime manager, Tony LaRussa, insisting that he’s shocked, shocked to find steroid-taking going on in here. My favorite line from McGwire’s interviews today: “I wish I had never played during the steroid era,” a statement that’s downright Edwards-esque in its creepy ability to pass responsibility for one’s moral failings onto others.

The most painful detail? He phoned Roger Maris’s widow today and had to explain that he broke her dead husband’s record by cheating his ass off. Exit question: 12-time All-Star, 583 home runs. Hall of Famer? After this, I say no. Click the image to watch.

mark-mc

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Guys like McGwire cut my heart out; I no longer watch the sport of my youth, and if I met him I would spit in his face.

cane_loader on January 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM

What I really dislike is the high ticket prices and very high concessions. Not a family sport any more.

chris999 on January 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM

You guys should go to some College Games – The game is pretty exciting there, the kids are “all in”… meaning they love the game & it shows, they play hard most of them are there on the team for their 4 years (which is longer than the pros in smaller markets), the fans are fun, it’s affordable and you’re supporting the school… if you like a faster pace try the college softball games those move at breakneck speed.

batterup on January 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM

batterup on January 11, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Isn’t Clemens on the steroid list now too. Henderson was one of the best lead off hitters that I’ve seen.

disillusioned on January 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I used to love baseball. Now, I would probably not walk across the street to watch a game. I don’t know if I used to like it better when they were all juiced up or if it is something else. I just get bored to death trying to watch a game now.

kahall on January 11, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I can’t see why you wouldn’t put Mark in the HoF. Because if Mark doesn’t get in we have to clear a whole hell of a lot of players out of there.

We should have the “Classic Era” “Integration Era” “Amphetamine Era” and the “Steroid Era” because each person should be labeled if thats the case.

Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth’s record by playing in stadiums that looked like little league parks compared to what the Babe played in, also he was in the era where an upper before a game wasn’t looked down upon.

Barry broke Hank’s record by juicing and having battle armor on that would make our soldiers look like they were funded by Obama’s congress. (As much of a cheat as A-Rod is at least he didn’t have a mechanical swing device on his arm every time he went up to bat)

But as many have said, juice up a nobody and they still won’t hit a baseball. You had juiced pitchers pitching to juiced batters while fans cheered every homerun knowing damn well something wasn’t right.

Rbastid on January 12, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Baseball? What’s that?

Nobody gives an “S” anymore. The country is all about the NFL first and NBA a distant second. MLB is dead. Boring. Lethargic. So on.

JoeinTX on January 12, 2010 at 12:22 AM

I wish we could get the same type of aggressive investigative zeal applied to Obama’s radical background, czars,and all the “Pay for Play” stealing of our tax dollars by the democrats that I have seen applied to running down steroids in Baseball.

I mean these guys are only running the country while the Bonds and McGwire’s are hitting a freaking baseball.

MLB knew dam# well these guys were hitting the juice but were making a fortune with their “Home Run Derby” quest for 70+ homeruns so they rolled with it the same way most major sports are rolling with it now.

The community would be much better served having Congressional hearings on Climate-gate or Obama’s Czars than on whether some baseball players were shooting test or not.

If we are going to kick people out or prevent them from being in the Hall of Fame based on the use of performance enhancing drugs….then the NFL…NBA…MLB…and NHL are going to need a lot of moving trucks to haul all of those bronze statues and pictures out of there because these types of drugs have been in use since the 60′s at least.

Baxter Greene on January 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Gaylord Perry, documented cheater, is in the Hall. Whitey Ford, documented cheater, is in the Hall. McGuire is a clear Hall of Famer, and those who oppose it because of steroid use are hypocrites, pure and simple.

woocane on January 11, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Throw them all out at first.

unclesmrgol on January 12, 2010 at 12:25 AM

If we are going to kick people out or prevent them from being in the Hall of Fame based on the use of performance enhancing drugs….then the NFL…NBA…MLB…and NHL are going to need a lot of moving trucks to haul all of those bronze statues and pictures out of there because these types of drugs have been in use since the 60’s at least.

Baxter Greene on January 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Let’s all invest in moving company stock. It’s going to be going up.

unclesmrgol on January 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM

kahall on January 11, 2010 at 11:59 PM

That walk across the street would probably cost you a hundie or two. Gone are the days when the players would autograph a kid’s ball for free. Gone forever.

unclesmrgol on January 12, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Been a Card’s fan for almost 50 years. I say SHAME on you McSteroid for LYING in 05. And I say H*LL NO to you in the hall of fame, or anyone else who CHEATED.

p51d007 on January 12, 2010 at 12:37 AM

But as many have said, juice up a nobody and they still won’t hit a baseball.

Who holds the records for most fly balls caught out? You hit the ball, it gets caught, you don’t get a higher batting average, you don’t get career yardage, you get rotated back to AA.

And anybody who said the obvious was told to damn well prove it or damn well shut up. Today’s confession is, to too many people, the first “evidence”.

There’s too many honest guys in the Hall to turn it into a temple to the guys who got away with cheating in broad daylight.

Chris_Balsz on January 12, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I don’t know if his looking so good now is that he’s back on the ‘roids, or if it’s just the TV makeup, but he looked scrawny and half-dead back when he testified before Congress.

eeyore on January 12, 2010 at 1:36 AM

I had season tickets for the A’s during the 80′s. The Business special–all games that started at 12:15(?) I had the pleasure of seeing McGwire’s rookie year–he hit 49 HR’s by flicking his wrists. He was 6’4/5″. Paul Bunyan.

Years later I had tics when the Giants opened the new ball park downtown and saw Bonds before and after on steroids. McGwire simply looked like a big guy aging and gaining weight. Bonds in one off season came out looking like a freak. A guy that was averaging 35 HR’s suddenly starts hitting 50, 60 70. Yet he is going to waltz into the Hall and McGwire won’t. Go figure.

patrick neid on January 12, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Bad deal all around, I agree.

Question though: Are all muscular guys “freakish” to you AP?

I am thinking the answer would be yes to this question, thus revealing another AP bias (besides the usual religion thing, namely Christianity).

I am still waiting for AP to slam islam the way AP does Christianity . . . .

Sherman1864 on January 12, 2010 at 1:57 AM

No, Barry Bonds won’t waltz into the Hall of Fame. He turned into a bloated freak and lied and lied until no team would sign him because it became obvious he was lying but no one would touch the fact that he was the new baseball “Home-Run ‘King’”

The day Bonds makes the Hall of Fame is the day that the power goes out in Cooperstown and the Hall burns down from no water pressure.

cane_loader on January 12, 2010 at 2:28 AM

cane_loader on January 12, 2010 at 2:28 AM

They voted him MVP three or four times after the “new” Barry showed up. Unless he goes to jail he’ll be practically a unanimous first ballot.

patrick neid on January 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM

patrick neid on January 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Bonds will not make the Hall of Fame. At this point, a first-ballot selection is an impossibility. About half of the HOF voters will not vote for a guy who used PEDs, and players need 75% of the vote to get in. Bonds won’t get the votes. If he never used steroids, he’d be a shoo-in. He used, and he’ll be kept out.

joejm65 on January 12, 2010 at 2:46 AM

There’s a lot of hypocrisy on this issue. The owners certainly knew who was juicing, as the Mitchell Report makes clear. You don’t make multi-million dollar investments in players and not know what they’re putting in their bodies. The media, with all their “inside access”, must have known, which is why they are the most vicious in condemning the players. And the fans at least suspected. The players took steroids because we created an environment which not only allowed it but encourage it. What did we think was going to happen?

It always comes back to me to a quote from Buck O’Neill, who said the only reason players in his day didn’t use steroids was because they didn’t have them. Ask yourself: would you take drugs to improve your job performance? Or to restore it if ill health was taking it away?

I would also point out that there is likely a huge amount of steroid use in football and probably HGH use in basketball. But everyone’s mum on that.

Hal_10000 on January 12, 2010 at 2:51 AM

As a life long Cardinal fan I was jumping up and down screaming in my living room for 62. I was in Busch Stadium for 499 and 500. I knew, baseball knew, the media knew that he and may of the others where taking something. We all looked the other way.

I always wanted hear the truth but I never looked forward to the day that it would actually happen. Well it happen, he admitted it, and I’m not proud of my participation. Today already I’ve had to explain myself to my three grown sons. Actually it turned out to be a good day and I suspect most parents will appreciate why. It’s not often I get to have a meaningful life/choice conversation with all three of my adults sons…in one day………

I still love my Cardinals. If you would like to witness the best and classiest fans in all of sports watch the home opener for the Cardinals this year.

Take care all…

Bogeyfre on January 12, 2010 at 5:17 AM

You can say what you want about it but nobody, and I do mean NOBODY, uses performance enhancing substances of any kind whatsoever at 200 mph.

NASCAR absolutely rocks compared to baseball.

What’s not to like? The drivers actually have a group prayers session before every race. Then they have an invocation, present the colors, have an Air Force flyover, and sing the National Anthem before the green flag drops.

When the race is over the drivers kiss and hug their wives and children like they mean it.

American as apple pie.

Baseball sucks and has ever since they went on strike in 1981 and more or less screwed over their fans of which I was one. I left baseball then and never looked back. They were totally selfish jerks back then and they have been ever since. Using performance enhancing drugs is yet another self serving way to screw the fans over and makes a mockery of the slogan, “America’s Pastime.”

What a joke.

trapeze on January 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM

What a liar. Pete Rose was banned for gambling, but it’s ok to break records using illegal substances. It makes me sick. He should never even be considered for the Hall of Fame. Never.

SueM on January 12, 2010 at 5:33 AM

The ultimate justice in all this is ironic, in its own way:

After ten years of steroid use, McGwire’s testicles are probably the size of peas, and he’ll never get laid again.

So, while he was screwing baseball, he was also screwing himself. Sort of the ultimate multi-tasker.

bradley11 on January 12, 2010 at 5:53 AM

Is current St. Louis player Albert Pujols on the juice, or is he legitimate?

The Dean on January 12, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Here is my look at this latest distraction to the battle against the NWO…

I am wondering if Pete Rose (who bet on baseball) or McGuire should be in the hall of fame. Here’s my simple answer…

NEITHER!

If this country had any sense of liberty and fair play left in it, it would say to both guys you both defied the rules so take your medicine (pun intended for McGuire), no matter how bad it tastes.

And as for Tony LaRussa, manager of the Cardinals…

FIRE MCGUIRE AS BATTING COACH!

BobAnthony on January 12, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Crybabies don’t belong in the Hall of Fame.

zoyclem on January 12, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Does this mean we can take the silly sign down on “Mark McGwire Highway“?

J in STL on January 12, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Crybabies don’t belong in the Hall of Fame.

zoyclem on January 12, 2010 at 7:52 AM

There’s no crying in baseball.

wildcat84 on January 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Is current St. Louis player Albert Pujols on the juice, or is he legitimate?

The Dean on January 12, 2010 at 6:24 AM

See, this is what ticks me off….because players have been caught or admitted to juicing, now every good player is a suspect. Check Albert’s physical appearance and stats numbers since he was a rookie: consistent. He has been tested as part of the random testing agreement…he has also said MLB can knock on his door and test him any time they want.

And if Big Mac doesn’t make the HOF, then Bonds shouldn’t either. Bonds should also give at least two of his “tainted” MVP awards to Albert Pujols. There, I said it.

atlgal on January 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM

He hit 49 homers his rookie year in 1987 before the ‘roids.

Something tells me that his numbers would have compared very favorably to other power hitters of his era — or any other era — had the the whole league’s numbers not been inflated by the Consecos, Palmieros and the other ‘roid fueled power hitters. He was guilty of keeping up with the Joneses.

Your analogy would only be accurate if every politician out there was also cheating on their cancer stricken spouses and having love children with flakes.

tommylotto on January 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM

For me, the coffin lid began to be nailed over my love of baseball when the first player strike began. Then the umpire strikes, lockouts, etc. Finally, steroid abuse. The game is dead for me and I can’t bring myself to watch it anymore. Yes, it is a big business with big bucks on the line. I’m not naive. But the game used to have a facade of purity with good athletes doing what they loved in the sunshine. Now it’s all about the Benjamins and phony, juiced up records. The fans are reduced to faceless walking wallets, spewing their contents for ridiculously priced tickets and concessions.
Well, there’s always little league.

SKYFOX on January 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Using steroids without a perscription was totally illegal when McGwire used them. They weren’t specifically banned by baseball back then, and they didn’t need to be, IMO, because society’s laws supercede anything regulated by a sports league. I don’t think there’s a specific ban against murder in baseball’s bylaws either, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not illegal in baseball…

joejm65 on January 11, 2010 at 9:35 PM

And thus your argument is very similar to what I tell all af my friends that said it wasn’t against the rules to juice up.

“When I make it to the Bigs as a 30 something rookie I am going to carry a .40 S&W and take shots at the infielders as I round the bases, becasue it’s not against baseball’s rules. Of course that would be after I cut the tendons of the entire pitching staff.”

The whole it was not against the rules argument is BS. It was against the law. However we already know the law doesn’t apply to Baseball/basketball/football superstars.

cobrakai99 on January 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Clear ‘em all out. The record holder is Hank Aaron. Anybody wants to try and beat him, step up.

mojo on January 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I too saw McGwire early in his career before he started using PEDs. He was an awesome physical specimen even then, though not all bulked up. I don’t think the drugs helped him that much, but even so I don’t think he belongs in the HOF.

I’m pretty sure Pujols is not taking PEDs. He’s another guy, like McGwire, that really doesn’t need them.

Snidely Whiplash on January 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM