Amazing: Scott Brown about to raise $1 million for the day; Update: Done!

posted at 9:34 pm on January 11, 2010 by Allahpundit

His site’s not loading at the moment, but as of 9:20 ET he was at $984,000 and change. It’s a done deal; he’s about to double his targeted fundraising amount for this push. Mind-blowing.

While we wait for the official numbers, here’s a short but tasty snippet from tonight’s debate with Coakley followed by what Ben Smith describes as a “kitchen sink” attack ad from her camp. The photo of Bush and Cheney is, needless to say, the centerpiece — apparently Coakley brought up Bush at the debate too — but the suggestion that Brown is somehow pro-rape is a nice touch, I thought. Exit question: They’re getting nervous, aren’t they?

Update: He did it.

mil

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 8

AP you are a mean guy. You looking for two 700+ comments ?

antisocial on January 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM

That ad will just backfire. People will be more interested to read what Brown really said and will not want to vote for someone who smears other people.

pedestrian on January 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Cousin Pookie just donated $9.12.

GnuBreed on January 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM

“With all due respect, It’s the people’s seat.”

AWESOME! Brown was stellar tonight. Come on Massachusetts–do the right thing!

conservative pilgrim on January 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM

That’s the spirit yo. Yell rebel yell.

Geochelone on January 11, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Oyy GEO, my boy, mucho tiempo no hablamos, porque’? Tienes cerveza anoche?

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

LOL. Ace has TWO flaming skulls up now.

Geochelone on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Let’s give Obama a one year anniversary present he won’t forget!!!!

behiker on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Hump. Bot.

OhioCoastie on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

You guys, it’s time to embrace the term teabagger.

Ask yourselves…if you’re the teabagger, who’s the teabagee?

We’ll find out in Nov.

Cheers!

bloghooligan on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

It’s the People’s seat….beYotch!

Hehe.

javamartini on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Marco Rubio just beat “sitting governor” and Florida senate candidate Charlie Crist in the Pinellas county straw poll 106-54. That is Crist’s home county. Rubio has not lost a straw poll yet.

Another possible winner for conservatives.

Here is video of Marco Rubio today on Cavuto.

Nelsa on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

!!!Redstate is predicting Crist will drop out of senate race.

Lost straw poll in his home county to Rubio!!!

Wethal on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Actually, some of it is from me, too: Californian’s Plea To Massachusetts!

Mutnodjmet on January 11, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Hope this gets posted in the MA media somewhere. Well said Mut

Wolfen on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Seriously, I know everyone feels broke…(trust me, I’m thinkin’ about eatin’ greens…from my yard!)

But do ya’ll know what kind of a message you could send if hundreds send, oh, lets say, $9.11, or $9.12????? choot, even if all you can send is 91 cents!
I doubt if the republs can ever win Teddy’s seat, but I’m willing to work like a dog to make sure we don’t leave any turn unstoned!

How sweet to make them flippin sweat…and if we could pull it out???? Viva la Repubic! (God Bless America!)

Chewy the Lab on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Thanks for that.

El_Terrible on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Hey, I raise my glass to Omahaconservative, huskerdiva and all the rest of the hotheads out there that have been rattling the bushes for the last week about this moneybomb. *cheers fellas*

cha cha cha ching$$$$

spend it wisely scott…. Pay your respects to Teddy and then chart a course forward for Ol’ Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Tonight, in that tomb beneath that old church in Boston—John and Abigail Adams are smiling…..

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Thanks to YOU for some of the most humorous posts evah to keep the morale of the troops up buddy!

huskerdiva on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Wow. If MA votes Brown, we just might have to stop calling them Massholes.

parteagirl on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

PappyD61 on January 11, 2010 at 9:57 PM

The thing is, if she had been paying any attention at all, and had people motivated in her campaign, she would have known that line was coming along with the “you are running against me, Scott Brown” line. Scott had no problem saying them at 3pm on local talk radio. Like I said, the woman is clueless and the people around her aren’t motivated.

TheBigOldDog on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Quick!

Send in McCain’s election staff…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Hump. Bot.
OhioCoastie on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is a “Humpbot”?

Insert witty screen name here on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Why is David Rodham Gergen moderating? Good lord.

Gergen is a professor at the Kennedy School at Harvard.

Y’alls yankee accents up yonder in Massachusetts are amusing to say the least.

SouthernGent on January 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM

My daughter was watching with me and asked, “What’s her name?” Martha. “Oh, he keeps saying Marther.” haha

conservative pilgrim on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

I tried this on the other thread and got zero response, even criticism. My view about Mass voters and HRC is that we may be getting it exactly wrong: they already have healthcare….
LastRick on January 11, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Ding.Ding.Ding. I’ve been making this point for a week, with no response (possibly because it doesn’t fit their Mitt sucks, he can’t be elected because of his health care plan which is no different from ObamaCare talking point).

Buy Danish on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

They will bus in libs from NH, ME & RI. The dead will turn out like never before in Southie. We’re talking bout the soul of Kennedy country here. This should be a cluster farc after the vote. stock up on pop corn.

Alden Pyle on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

How many watched the debate and what are his numbers tomorrow?

JIMV on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

ONE MILLION 50 THOUSAND teabags

Ris4victory on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

huskerdiva on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

hey girl! thanks much. Keep doin good things and we’ll get this place turned around.

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Ted Kennedy could not be reached for comment…

Jeff2161 on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

To the above…you know the Mass media will spin debate win into a defeat if they get a chance…

JIMV on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Hump. Bot.
OhioCoastie on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I think we should wait until Brown wins. Then multiple videos and fireworks!

conservative pilgrim on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is a “Humpbot”?

Insert witty screen name here on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

AP’s alter ego.

txag92 on January 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Wait a second – it’s only 10:00 pm!

Sure making it to $1 million is “done” as far as achieving thaat patricular goal, but the night’s still young – move the goalposts.

racecar05 on January 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Win one for Teddy! Salt in the wound!!

Mayhem on January 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Insert witty screen name here on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

it’s the only live video feed of AP ever seen by human life forms….

it appears like once in a blue moon, and only for a second. So you have to look quick or ya miss it….

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Ace of Spades upgraded to 2 burning skulls.

Jeff2161 on January 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM

boston herald online poll went 86% to Brown

good sign.

Anti-Harkonnen Freedom Fighter on January 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I was watching the debate and I laughed when she said kennedy’s seat and he slaped her down so hard

Aggie95 on January 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM

…she would have known that line was coming along with the “you are running against me, Scott Brown” line. Scott had no problem saying them at 3pm on local talk radio.

TheBigOldDog on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Zinged her with it just a few days ago in the last debate too. Made all the local sound bites (ch 4,5,6,7, 10) even tho ALL the channels are lib sounding board except FOX 25.

Alden Pyle on January 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Sorry, but you don’t know that. You have no idea how pissed off people really are right now. Target acquired. Lt. Col. Brown, you are cleared hot!

ElectricPhase on January 11, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Confirmed. Unless you live here in the People’s Republic of Massachusetts, you really have no idea of the sentiment on the streets, in the offices, in the watering holes, etc. Haven’t seen anything like this. It’s growing daily and tonight’s thumping of Coakley will have enormous impact on Brown’s momentum, Globe polls nothwithstanding.

On a side note: Brown’s answer that it’s the people’s seat probably did more to marginalize Coakley than anything he’s done to date.

singer on January 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM

AP’s alter ego.

txag92 on January 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM
Yeeooow!

Wolfen on January 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I sent in my $17.76 just now to Brown. Let’s do this.

What can Brown do for you? Stop socialized medicine in the U.S.

Mojave Mark on January 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is a “Humpbot”?

Insert witty screen name here on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Wethal on January 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Now we’re at $1,050,156.36.

amerpundit on January 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM

We’ve raised $1,050,156.36 so far!

Jeff2161 on January 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM

They still love to drag Boooosh into it. It’s all they got.

tbear44 on January 11, 2010 at 9:43 PM

and they got to add in Cheney’s name to make it stick for the die hard haters. Did she refer to the Obama/Biden ticket?

yakwill83 on January 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Lost straw poll in his home county to Rubio!!!

Wethal on January 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Yeah, and not even close (106-54).

LastRick on January 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM

The “it’s the peoples seat” line needs to become an add and aired continuously untill the 19th.

farright on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

has anyone seen my leg?

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Dumb question: I’m trying (in vain) to track down the quotes that Martha attributes to Scott Brown, but am having no luck. For example, she claims that the Boston Globe said that Brown would “deny rape victims care.”

In addition to his sponsorship of the Women’s Right to Know bill, Brown sponsored an amendment to a 2005 bill on emergency contraception that would have let emergency room doctors or nurses turn away rape victims if they had religious objections to providing emergency contraception.

“Through our conversations, I’ve heard, ‘what if somebody has a sincerely held religious conviction about dispensing the emergency contraception medication? What about their rights? How do we address those?’ ’’ Brown said on the Senate floor, according to a State House News Service transcript.
Link to the Globe article.

Is she full of crap? A search of ” ‘deny rape victims care’ brown boston globe” turns up absolutely nothing.

Roxeanne de Luca on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

DEPLOY HUMPBOT!

fusionaddict on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Common sense,gotta love it!!

And go,Brown!

canopfor on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Come on Massachusetts–do the right thing!

conservative pilgrim on January 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Fingers crossed, but I don’t think its in Mass. to do the right thing. It would be like Berkley electing an anti gay marriage mayor. Image is more important to these kind of people. Style over substance always wins with them. They would rather have their throats cut by a stylin’ PC liberal celebrity than be given a million dollars by a conservative grandmother type.
Hope I’m wrong.

Itchee Dryback on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is a “Humpbot”?

Insert witty screen name here on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

It dates back to the immigration/amnesty debate. Any victory we achieved would be met with the humpbot video. It became a mark of celebration at HA.

amerpundit on January 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Poll: Who won the debate? Brown dominating the results. Coakley and Kennedy tied.

Nate G. on January 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM

“It’s the people’s seat.”

Okay, I’ve already donated to Brown’s campaign.

After watching that, I’m headed over there to donate again.

Midas on January 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM

“It’s not Kennedy’s seat”

Gergen just took a prison beating. LOL.

fogw on January 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM

er, my LEG!!!!

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM

has anyone seen my leg?

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

ted c: Has it been tingled!

canopfor on January 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

That’s the song I was thinkin of. I almost linked it. Great minds. :)

Us Tea Partiers were Born to be Wild.

I’m having a Corona.

Let’s Roll.

Geochelone on January 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM

And here’s the humpbot video.

amerpundit on January 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Coakley thought this a ‘done deal’. She had been SELECTED for the KENNEDY SEAT. Who the hell does Brown think he is? Some kind of representative for the working classes. Those people obviously don’t know their place.

GarandFan on January 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM

singer on January 11, 2010 at 10:06 PM
Man it’s good to get dispatches like this from behind enemy lines. Thanks

Wolfen on January 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Alden Pyle on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Fine. Then ya’ll “Yankee” Massecheuceans (or whatevah) better take a whoop-ass lesson from your Southern bretheren and get the heck in their faces at the polls, demand to know if they are registered (in a very polite way).
Perhaps it’s different in Missouri, but I am always asked for I.D. when I show up to vote…it doesn’t have to be a stellar ID, but it’s sumpthin’, And I have the feeling that if I showed a drivers’ license with a picture of Mickey Mouse, they’d prob’ly ask me to back it up with somethin else.

Chewy the Lab on January 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM

pedestrian on January 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM

The ad is a “get out the vote ad” for the nutziod left.

The Donks are getting nervous. I wonder what their internals are saying.

Bruno Strozek on January 11, 2010 at 10:12 PM

OT, but can’t help being totally delighted at this news, as some here undoubtedly will also be:

Warning: Prediction only by Erick

But Crist has got to be completely demoralized about the results of this straw poll tonight

Marybeth on January 11, 2010 at 10:12 PM

For all the eeyores out there that think that we here in MA can’t pull this off, head on over to legal insurrection blog and inform yourself.

This. is. going. to. happen.

Take it to the bank.

turfmann on January 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM

conservative pilgrim on January 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Hey, I have an Ant Marther!

Even better though, my younger sisters, who happen to be twins, are “Shawner ‘n Heathah.”
(For those of you who do not speak south shoah that would be “Shauna and Heather.”)

Go Scott Brown!

racecar05 on January 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Hope I’m wrong.

Itchee Dryback on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I think so too. There are loads of good people in Mass., but still far too many who reflexively vote Democrat.

ddrintn on January 11, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Geo—goin’ old school, +4 good one!!

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:14 PM

HumpBot is being saved for the 19th if Scott Brown wins the seat.

Enoxo on January 11, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Dumb question #2 (hereafter, fact-checking Coakley’s ad part 2):

This is the WBUR article which is the basis for the first slam (i.e. block tougher oversight). Brown isn’t even mentioned. Was WBUR entirely on-air, and, if so, could anyone find it for me?

Roxeanne de Luca on January 11, 2010 at 10:14 PM

If you are a Mass resident, but will be away from home, it is still not to late to get an absentee ballot and overnight it back in time.

pedestrian on January 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Buy Danish on January 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I’ll be honest, maybe I picked it up from you, BD, but I know for sure it’s a theme I’ve been watching Daily Kossacks toss around the past few days. Their biggest concern is complacency — especially in races (like this one, or Romney or Reagan) where the Dems aren’t running the most energizing candidate. How do they get Democrat voters motivated to come out and support the candidate, in the cold, in an off-cycle election, when she’s kind of robotic, etc. But they also are concerned about how do they get people with health care (97% IIRC have it) motivated to vote for paying for other states’ healthcare? You just can’t. Or you can, but it’s not as easy as you might think. Tell me I need to vote for a candidate b/c I’ll receive something, BAM, done. Ask me to vote money out of my wallet to pay for the Cornhusker Deal, you got to be kidding. I’m not surprised it’s this close. Why? Greed.

LastRick on January 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM

ThunderStruck!

canopfor on January 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.
John Adams (1735 – 1826), Letter to Benjamin Rush, 18 April 1808

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Sure, okay, I’m a tea bagger. And I’m about to sink my fangs in some liberal nutz.

John the Libertarian on January 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM

OOOgha BOOOgha. That voice always cracks me up. “Pass the saaaahlt, you’re gonna die!” “In a world like this, who’s gonna save you from the big bad Republicans”. Puh-leeeease.

birdhurd on January 11, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Enoxo on January 11, 2010 at 10:14 PM

We are counting on you to keep us updated with a real time vote tally, like you did for NY23 and NJ and VA races. Nice work it was.

Geochelone on January 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM

amerpundit on January 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM

I refuse to watch it. It doesn’t count if AP hasn’t issued it at that moment. I move to disable to link. :)

LastRick on January 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM

LastRick on January 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Oh, sorry, I was just trying to explain what it is to those who haven’t been around as long.

amerpundit on January 11, 2010 at 10:19 PM

How could the voters of Mass. NOT vote for this guy?

indy8 on January 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Fact-checking the Coakley ad, Part 3:

Coakley quoted the Lowell Sun as saying that Brown wanted to cut taxes for the wealthiest.

Lowell Sun article reads, in pertinent part:

“She wants to increase taxes to get out of the deficit and thinks tax increases are an investment. I completely disagree,” Brown said.

Brown’s Web site does not detail any specific tax-cut proposals, though his campaign said he supports a 15 percent cut “across the board,” including corporate and payroll taxes. He believes cutting taxes for individuals and businesses will encourage consumer spending and investment.

Brown also supports an extension of all tax cuts signed into law in 2001 and 2003 by then-President George W. Bush, including those for the most wealthy Americans.

“The tax cuts benefit taxpayers at all levels, and Scott Brown believes they should all be kept in place,” said Brown spokesman Felix Browne. “Allowing them to expire will stifle economic growth and prolong the recession.”

The expiration of the Bush tax cuts would eliminate the 10 percent tax bracket for low-income citizens, pushing them into the 15 percent bracket, according to Brown’s campaign. Taxpayers with children would lose 50 percent of child-tax credits, and married taxpayers would see the marriage penalty increase.

Bitch is just desperate.

Roxeanne de Luca on January 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM

In the sceond video,the Leftys mean;

‘A lack of Compassion,or Emotion
or

Fellings’ is what Liberals are trying
to convey!!Ugh!!

canopfor on January 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM

That just won him the election.

Did you see Coakley bite her lip after he said that? She knew right then, she’s in trouble.

Saltysam on January 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Go Scott Brown.

BuckeyeSam on January 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM

pedestrian on January 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Go to Scott Brown’s campaign website. You can do your absentee vote from there. DO IT!!!!!

califcon on January 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM

canopfor on January 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM

awesome, breaking out the apache vids.

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM

So far, the only thing I can find in regards to denying rape victims care is:

“supporting a measure in the state Legislature to allow hospital personnel to deny emergency contraception to rape victims.”

“Brown Recently Reiterated His Belief That Hospitals Have The Right To Refuse Emergency Contraception To Rape Victims Based On Hospital Personnel’s Religious Beliefs. During the WTKK debate Margery Eagan pressed Brown on his sponsorship of an amendment to an emergency contraception bill that would allow emergency room personnel to turn away rape victims based on their religious beliefs. Eagan asked, “Should if a woman come to the hospital in that situation should she get the emergency contraceptive or if there are people that for religious reasons oppose, she should have to go, and get back in her car and go to another hospital?” Brown replied, “That’s really up to the hospitals.” [WTKK Debate 1/5/09]”

From: http://www.ryanstake.net/2010/01/passing-t-forward.html (a pro-Coakley site, so take any commentary with your own grain of salt.)

DaSaintFan on January 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM

cha cha cha ching$$$$

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Thank you all so much and God Bless you all. Let’s take our country back. Let’s roll

OmahaConservative on January 11, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I love it. All Coakley can do is scream “The REPUBLICAN boogie man is out to get you!”

WannabeAnglican on January 11, 2010 at 10:23 PM

the latest figure for your consumption:

1,050,156.36 raised!

maggieo on January 11, 2010 at 10:23 PM

ThunderStruck!

canopfor on January 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM

With smash mouth music like this, WE CAN NOT BE STOPPED.

Move aside Libs or take a dirt nap.

Geochelone on January 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM

You guys, it’s time to embrace the term teabagger.

Ask yourselves…if you’re the teabagger, who’s the teabagee?

We’ll find out in Nov.

Cheers!

bloghooligan on January 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Aaaamen to that, Judge Joe Brown!

disa on January 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Sorry, but Coakley will win. We’ve been through this with Hoffman. We’re talking NE, where it was a near-miracle that a more or less “moderate” like Christie was able to beat a corrupt Democrat like Corzine.

ddrintn on January 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Can you say eeyore?

maggieo on January 11, 2010 at 10:24 PM

How could the voters of Mass. NOT vote for this guy?

indy8 on January 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Um, they voted for Teddy for how many years? Uninvolved go with the flow voters, have voted one way all their life and will continue. I am heartened by some on here that are from Mass. and are giving local accounts about the local feelings on the street, I hope that it hold and that enough get out to beat the cheating at teh booths.

bluemarlin on January 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Geochelone on January 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I shall try. :)

Enoxo on January 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM

has anyone seen my leg?

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:08 PM

ted c: Has it been tingled!

canopfor on January 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM

it’s only tingling cause it’s so damn cold outside. It’s like algore factor 5 cold out there–with the polar bears hittin’ up walmart for parkas and muggin’ dudes for their ear muffs….

ted c on January 11, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Anyone else catch Rush Limbaugh 7 seconds into that add giving what looks like a Nazi salute? The Democrats are really trying to pull out all the stops on that one.

mizflame98 on January 11, 2010 at 10:26 PM