Bill Clinton 2008 on Obama: A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee

posted at 5:08 pm on January 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

Another hot excerpt from the same book that’s got Dingy Harry groveling. What a treat to hear how the Lords of Tolerance talk to each other behind closed doors.

This is turning into some day.

[A]s Hillary bungled Caroline, Bill’s handling of Ted was even worse. The day after Iowa, he phoned Kennedy and pressed for an endorsement, making the case for his wife. But Bill then went on, belittling Obama in a manner that deeply offended Kennedy. Recounting the conversation later to a friend, Teddy fumed that Clinton had said, A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee.

As politically tempting as it is to demagogue this, and duly aware that the left would never give the benefit of the doubt to a conservative in an argument over racial subtext, I can’t believe Billy Jeff meant it “that way.” Comparing a guy running to become the first black president to some sort of servant is astoundingly tone-deaf, but that was par for the course for Clinton throughout that campaign. Remember when he idly compared The One to Jesse Jackson in the run-up to the South Carolina primary, at a moment when the media was paranoid that Hillary would try to “racialize” the campaign? All he meant by the coffee remark, I assume, was that The One was too young and green to be president, not far removed in age and experience from, say, a Senate aide. Which is also plenty insulting given how long Obama spent as a state senator, but certainly not racially untoward. The great mystery here is why Teddy was so offended by the remark. Did he perceive some racial subtext in it? Hard to believe he’d flip out simply because Clinton belittled Obama’s resume.

Ambinder’s got a new list up of juicy quotes from the book, including reports of our eventual secretary of state cheering on attempts to push the cokehead meme against Obama, so go check that out. A parting thought that scarcely needs articulating: Had a Republican said what BJ said, he’d be finished, finished, finished.

Update: A theory as to why Teddy might have been pissed at Clinton for denigrating Obama’s youth: JFK was even younger than The One when he became president, and Teddy and Caroline were both eyeing Obama as some sort of lost heir to Camelot. Not absurd to think he might have taken it personally somehow.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

DSchoen on January 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Unless you have inside information and a link, I don’t think so. Our neighbors that attended the school were military families and definitely not of Hawaiian descent.

conservative pilgrim on January 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM

WOW! JUST HAD A 6.5 EARTHQUAKE!!!!! EVERY THINGS ALL OVER THE GROUND……WHAT A MESS!

Rovin on January 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Stay safe, Rovin!

HornetSting on January 9, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Seven Percent Solution on January 9, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Wow ! Ask and ye shall recieve !

Thanks 7% I needed that ! Love those sweeties *Rowrrr* ! ;-)

cableguy615 on January 9, 2010 at 7:59 PM

OT:anybody need a quick weight loss program guaranteed to work?
Threadworthy,Allahpundit! h/t newsbusters!

theTarCzar on January 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Can ANYONE truly accept this bama guy as president of the U.S? Worthless, worthless lying turd!!!

jgdp on January 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM

How noble AP. Do you think the dims would cut you such slack for a similar statement. They certainly don’t for any in the GOP.

chemman on January 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Rovin on January 9, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Da** been through to many of those. Stay safe and beware of the aftershocks.

chemman on January 9, 2010 at 8:04 PM

cableguy615 on January 9, 2010 at 7:59 PM

:O)

I’m jumping back and forth, too…

Seven Percent Solution on January 9, 2010 at 8:04 PM

But a photoshop of Obama polishing shoes was racist, right ?

macncheez on January 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM

But a photoshop of Obama polishing shoes was racist, right ?

macncheez on January 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Exactly.The shrieks of the loon-o-sphere are still reverberating in my ears.

theTarCzar on January 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I used to live in a condo across the street from Punahou School on the corner of Punahou and Wilder and I later married a graduate of Punahou. All I can say is that there is not now, nor has there ever been any truth to your statement regarding “blood decendents” as far as I know.
Punahou School’s big rival, Kamehameha High School, did have some of the racial requirements you describe such as being at least 25% native Hawaiian, but I’m not sure that they still do.

Hoof Hearted on January 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM

With her husband, she could be intensely affectionate or brutally dismissive. At times subtly, at times blatantly, she was forever letting John know that she regarded him as her intellectual inferior. She called her spouse a “hick” in front of other people and derided his parents as rednecks. One time, when a friend asked if John had read a certain book, Elizabeth burst out laughing. “Oh, he doesn’t read books,” she said. “I’m the one who reads books.”

I wish I had known this before I bashed him for the girlfriend and lovechild. Poor guy, living with her is probably tough.

TXMomof3 on January 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Like Hillary started out baking cookies and hosting White House dinners and later moved up to U.S. Senator.

pedestrian on January 9, 2010 at 8:11 PM

We went through 8 years of the left calling Bush a cokehead. I think the fact the left then chose a cokehead to represent them is something we should not ignore.

18-1 on January 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM

18-1 on January 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Ironic, huh?

TXMomof3 on January 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Stay safe, Rovin!

HornetSting on January 9, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Thanks everyone……have had three aftershocks so far…just little 3 pointers. We hadn’t had one in a while, so we were past due. Think I’ll wait a few hours to start pickin’ things up off the ground.

Rovin on January 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM

O/T: The just showed “W” watching the game in Dallas sitting next to Emmit Smith…

What a class act. I miss him very much.

Seven Percent Solution on January 9, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Del Dolemonte on January 9, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Aforementioned practice was still going on in Guam in the 80′s when I stationed there in the Air Force. Had to keep our son and daughter out on school those days.

chemman on January 9, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Stay safe in the earthquake zone, Cali!

Philly on January 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Of course, Bill meant nothing racial by this.

Obama was a long-shot. He still is, in my opinion.

Hillary was the logical choice, which we lost, due to the race card.

Oh well. Live with it.

AnninCA on January 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

conservative pilgrim

of Hawaiian descent

Of Hawaiian descent, your confused.

By the “blood” decedents of the Hawaiian missionaries, I’m talking about the “White” missionaries that settled in Hawaii circa 1820′s.

Of the top of my head family names like
Alexander
Baldwin
Castle
Cook
Dole
Hitchcock

Inside information, yes. My father went to that school in the 1950′s.

Today this school is open to all who can get in, but what caused me to respond in disbelief was this statement of some “ancient tradition

“the Islands practicing the ancient tradition known as “Kill Haole Day””

As I said, I find that a little hard to believe considering Punahou restricted students to the “blood” decedents of the Hawaiian missionaries.

In other words, their all related, literally related.

Further information.

DSchoen on January 9, 2010 at 8:40 PM

All those years and all those books about Bush and the Democrats just lapping it up…it never occurred to them that they don’t exactly live in glass houses themselves. Serves them right.

Terrye on January 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Hoof Hearted on January 9

True! as far as you know.

Now do you know the history of the Hawaiian islands?

Blood decedents of the WHITE Hawaiian missionaries.

Hint: The Blood decedents of the WHITE Hawaiian missionaries are not ALL White.

“Founded in 1841, Punahou School was originally a school for the children of Congregational missionaries serving throughout the Pacific region. It was known as Oahu College from 1859 to 1934.”

DSchoen on January 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I think Obama could at least do that job.

He is unfit for his current job, unless utter failure and destruction is the goal.

Harry Schell on January 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Herein lies the difference between a Southern Democrat and the effete liberal Dems of the Boston-NY-DC corridor: Of course Clinton didn’t “mean it” that way. Clinton doesn’t have to play the race card, or racialize anything, because he doesn’t have the same kind of white guilt hang ups that people like Teddy have. Only a true racist would even make that kind of association in the first place. Of course, Clinton grew up surrounded by blacks whereas Teddy’s only association with them in his childhood probably didn’t extend beyond the staff at the local country club

NoLeftTurn on January 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM

On the other hand, he is the President who said “You hear Rush Limbaugh defend Madeline Albright? He only did it because she was attacked by a black guy.”

Bill Clinton can strike a pose.

Perhaps that’s what burnt Kennedy; he knew Clinton was posing because Clinton presumed Kennedy thought along those lines.

Chris_Balsz on January 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM

No, the dems wouldn’t cut any of us that slack, but I agree with AllahPundit that the remark wasn’t meant that way.

Course Obama would be just as incompetent at getting coffee as he is at everything else.

Alana on January 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM

“The great mystery here is why Teddy was so offended by the remark. Did he perceive some racial subtext in it?”

Because Liberal Lion’s ilk *always* have race foremost in their minds. It makes up their cognative DNA.

KS Rex on January 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Alana on January 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM

AP was being sarcastic. Of course it means what it looks like it means. It’s Bill Clinton after all.

pedestrian on January 9, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I’m not sure I understand your comment. You do realize that I was quoting Clinton’s comment.

And in any case, I see nothing wrong with what Reid said other than I think most of us would have said “black” or “ghetto” and not “negro”.

mrsmwp on January 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Go see drudge, because Mr. Reid used your words and now feels the need to eat them, so to speak.

What Mr. Reid was implying (and I think you did too) is that Mr. Obama is not “authentically” black. It’s a persona he puts on — kind of a reverse “passing” required because of his privileged upbringing in a non-black household.

The big difference is that, while you don’t see the need to apologize, Mr. Reid apparently does. That was the point I was making.

If I were Reid, I wouldn’t apologize, because I think it’s true — Mr. Obama has not faced what many blacks face in their lives, doesn’t speak that southern patois associated with the descendants of slaves, and, in fact, speaks the patois associated with the descendants of slaveowners — because, of course, he is the descendant of slaveowners.

‘Nuf said.

unclesmrgol on January 9, 2010 at 9:20 PM

First Reid, now Clinton as well! Oh it is time to make some popcorn.

What an ironic statement from the man that liked to think of himself as the first black president.

rukiddingme on January 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM

According to Mark Levin,

He (Clinton) gave the nation’s highest civilian award — the Presidential Medal of Freedom — to a man (William Fulbright) who spent the vast majority of his public career and life as a proud segregationist.

jgapinoy on January 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM

And yet, the leftist trolls here call US the racists.

As far as I’m concerned Bill Clinton is the one to blame: If he hadn’t let 0bama give that big speech at the Convention some years ago and catapult him to the national stage, 0bama would still be in his natural element in corrupt Illinois politics rather than destroying the whole country.

LegendHasIt on January 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM

This isn’t the first time Clinton was mentioned for racial slurs against Black Americans, but being the first Black President himself…it’s cool.

It’s pathetic that people are willing to support these back room racists, because they still think the are getting money for nothing.

Hening on January 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM

2008
——–

The Liberal Party geared up for an epic historical election,

meanwhile,when Bill was starting to campaign for HilRod,
he said things that were racist,towards the one,and every
Liberal was aghast,

meanwhile,in 2009/2010,the Leftys were enjoying a historical
election,of the first African American,and now,the news is
running like a political wildfire,that Liberal politicians
are racists,and are acting,as if it was the 1600′s all over
again!!

So,is the Liberal Party,the true PURITY PARTY,and have
painted themselves into a political corner!

canopfor on January 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Rovin on January 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Rovin, where are you? I’m in Santa Rosa and didn’t feel anything, or know about it ’til I picked it up on the Web a few minutes ago.

By the way, I’ve just been rereading Thurston Clarke’s California Fault, which I think you’d find interesting.

warbaby on January 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM

warbaby on January 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I’m just outside of Eureka up on the hill two miles from town.

The link here will show you what’s happened so for this evening. Funny that I’ve still got the internet yet no tv stations. I hear I’m not missin much with Dallas kickin butt. No power in the south end of town. My sis-in-law manages the local Sears, and says it will be closed for a few days. This one rocked in the opposit direction than most of the others, so most of the big stores have half their enventory on the ground. My best friend on the property here has major structural damage—can’t close his front door. It’d be exciting, if there wasn’t such a mess to clean up here…….

No Tsanami warnings

Rovin on January 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Rovin on January 9, 2010 at 8:18 PM, warbaby on January 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Do not know either one of you but please stay alert and safe.

rukiddingme on January 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I can’t believe Billy Jeff meant it “that way.”

Allahpundit

Wrong! Remember, Clinton was a disciple of J. William Fulbright, a known racist!

fossten on January 9, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Of course, Bill meant nothing racial by this.

Obama was a long-shot. He still is, in my opinion.

Hillary was the logical choice, which we lost, due to the race card.

Oh well. Live with it.

AnninCA on January 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Yes, Dear.

Del Dolemonte on January 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM

DSchoen on January 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM

And as I noted earlier in the thread, Punahou also practiced “Kill Haole Day”. One of my uncles taught there in the early 1950s-I’ll have to ask him about it.

Del Dolemonte on January 9, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Maybe Kennedy just figured with the then political environment BHO was the ticket to the WH and Clinton wasn’t. Obama was, after all, a good way to energize the “black” vote.

boomer on January 9, 2010 at 11:40 PM

W in Jerrah’s box during the Cowboys game… Would’ve been awesome if he had held up a sign saying “Miss Me Yet?” or, maybe, “Hi Keith”.

Mike in GB on January 9, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Dem on Dem idiocy: taste the scum.

profitsbeard on January 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM

You realize, of course, how racist you are for pointing out how racist the left really is…

DamnYankee on January 10, 2010 at 1:47 AM

I don’t know about that Mr. Clinton; do you really think he would be competent enough to get the coffee?

cjk on January 10, 2010 at 2:18 AM

In fairness, Bill thinks that everyone should be him his coffee.

thgrant on January 10, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Oh, crap. Should be…

In fairness, Bill thinks that everyone should be getting him
his coffee.

thgrant on January 10, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Bill Clinton… The gift that keeps on giving…

Khun Joe on January 10, 2010 at 8:08 AM

munch…munch…munch…smile.

Fuquay Steve on January 10, 2010 at 8:46 AM

A]s Hillary bungled Caroline, Bill’s handling of Ted was even worse.

Well, maybe. But Bill redeemed himself when he took out his sword and went after that “medieval dickweed”.

Squiggy on January 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Well Cletus, a few years ago you’d be back in Arkansas having you way with a pig. Oh um, er

esnap on January 10, 2010 at 9:15 AM

And a few years ago the Libs would have been smoking dope, dodging the draft and bad mouthing their country while supporting our enemies.

Hmmm.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

In other words, their all related, literally related.

Do you know which family Obama is related to?

I know he likes to hang out on the Castle property, is there a less than obvious reason for that?

DSchoen on January 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I lived on Oahu for years. You’re right, that was true when the school was founded, but nowadays, to get into Punahou, if you’re smart enough and, most importantly, can pay the high tuition, you’re good to go. No missionary blood required

NavyMustang on January 10, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Of course, Bill meant nothing racial by this.
Obama was a long-shot. He still is, in my opinion.
Hillary was the logical choice, which we lost, due to the race card.
Oh well. Live with it.
AnninCA on January 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Whatever allows you to sleep at night, Ann.

kingsjester on January 10, 2010 at 9:54 AM

But a photoshop of Obama polishing shoes was racist, right ?

macncheez on January 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Right. A photoshop of Obama polishing shoes — which I don’t recall seeing, but I’ll take your word for it — would be undeniably racist. And if you don’t understand that, I urge you to stop what you’re doing, sit down and contemplate that image until you do understand it.

And if you don’t know me, then trust me when I say that I am very nearly The Last Person Here Whom Anyone Would Mistake For a Racialist Liberal Panderer.

Jaibones on January 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM

PS You were kidding or being sarcastic in some way, right macncheez? I’m mean WTF?!

Jaibones on January 10, 2010 at 10:28 AM

pedestrian on January 9, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I didn’t read sarcasm at all, and think I agree with AP’s take, that what Clinton was saying is “this guy has never done anything meaningful in his entire career — he’s a total nothing that should be getting coffee for us, not running for President”. Which is spot-on, frankly, but applies right down the line to Hillary! as well.

She was an affirmative-action hire for NY Senator, and although she is smart and has done good work for the libs in the Senate, she was utterly unqualified to run for President. We have so lowered the standard for this job that it’s like President of the Student Council now – just a popularity contest for a figurehead position.

Jaibones on January 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM

What I heard was “this BOY would be getting us coffee”…

Maureen Dowd

TN Mom on January 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM

This illustrates how allah really thinks about the democrats. He ascribes real human feeling and emotion to kennedy, as if kennedy actually had altruistic intentions and really meant well. kennedy was a foul, dishonest, mean, gluttinous, greedy elitist pig with an IQ most college students would be embarrsassed to admit. His intention was to get us peasants down and keep us down. To even try to imagine that he, or any of the kennedys for that matter, believe that anyone in this country may be their equal is fantasy. allah shows his liberal new york democrat face again.

peacenprosperity on January 10, 2010 at 10:52 AM

angryed on January 10, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Jaibones on January 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I saw it-the picture shows O’bama shining Sarah Palin’s shoes. But the picture was circulated by a registered Democrat, which means it’s not racist.

Just curious-why is a picture of someone shining shoes for a living “racist”? After all, Rush Limbaugh worked as a shoeshine boy. So did Rod Blago. Even the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, worked as one. So did “racist” pro golfer Lee Trevino.

Del Dolemonte on January 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM

see!! here they are after my Big Dawg while DIngy Harry walks on his comments!!

he means the newest Senate members get coffee!!

HILLARY used to be the one to get the coffee when she first came to the Senate

my Gawd they see RACE everywhere, it was an innocent comment exactly becuase Bill does NOT see race. sheesh!

ginaswo on January 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM

ginaswo on January 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM

You seem to forget that Bill Clinton’s political mentor was a racist.

And he used racist language campaigning for Hillary in 2008, so much so that he had to apologize. Even O’bama’s own campaign called Bill a racist:

Del Dolemonte on January 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Did you heard what Clinton said?

He said a few years ago this chubby whitehouse intern would have been on her knees giving us …

O wait, Sorry, my bad I’m confusing stories.

**********

Democrats are Racists, for sure.

father on January 10, 2010 at 6:54 PM

esnap on January 10, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Well, if by pig you mean hillary then I think you got it.

whiskeytango on January 11, 2010 at 2:32 AM

This is not necessarily a racist statement. After all, Obama was in the second year of a first term as senator; he had never served as head of anything, and his legislative record was non-existent. White or black, with his record, he should have been getting coffee.

fleiter on January 11, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Ha anyone else noticed that all these leaked quotes reflect badly only on people who are likely to be challenging Obama in 2012?Why no tone deaf, insulting remarks from Obama or his team?And don\’t try to tell me that no one made any.

schmuck281 on January 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Wild Bill’s gaff shows U.S. another double standard by dem. Dirty Harry’s remark coupled with Wild Bill’s show that dem are OK with slamming blacks,

BUT! if a conservative of any race made the same statements they would be labeled a Racist or other demeaning slur to demean U.S..

MSGTAS on January 11, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Uncle Tom AND Uncle Ben support Bill Clinton AND Harry Reid.

“It’s not what you say, or how you meant it, it’s who you are.” ~ Robert K.K.K. Byrd

Roy Rogers on January 11, 2010 at 12:40 PM

PICTURE THIS……

Lying Ted Kennedy gets a call from Lying Hillarys’ husband Lying Bill Clinton. Kennedy (the liar) recounts this conversation to someone else WHO TELLS SOMEONE WRITING A BOOK.

This is the honesty of American Politics.

God help us save the Republic.

PappyD61 on January 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM

The book is nothing but trash. And what, pray tell, is so bad about what Bill Clinton said? Easily, the quote can be interpreted to mean that just a few years ago, Obama was a nobody. So much of what we call racism today, tells more about the people reading politico’s comments than what the politicos are saying.

Halli Casser-Jayne
author, A YEAR IN MY PAJAMAS WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA,The Politics of Strange Bedfellows

The CJ Political Report on January 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM

There’s much jucier bits of gossip in this gossipy book, this tidbit fades by comparison.

I loved the one that Obama didn’t even talk to Biden in the campaign. *haha

AnninCA on January 11, 2010 at 1:38 PM

PICTURE THIS……

This is the honesty of American Politics.

God help us save the Republic.

PappyD61 on January 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Too bad Ted’s not around anymore to take Harry for a drive.

Roy Rogers on January 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I’ll have mine bl

oops, never mind!!

Sweet_Thang on January 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Just curious-why is a picture of someone shining shoes for a living “racist”?

Del Dolemonte on January 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM

You can’t be serious….let me guess, public education?

right2bright on January 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I don’t believe Bill Clinton said this. It comes from an aide to an aide of a brain damaged drunk supposedly. Yeah, right!
Rather interesting the book trashes everyone except barky, the light-skinned, no audible dialect while reading teleprompter candidate they helped elect.

lonestar1 on January 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Okay,, I am in no way a Clinton fan, but how is this racist exactly? Perhaps he meant because he was a freshman senator with absolutely no experience? Maybe he was referring to “on the job training” or “low man on the totem pole”, or “entry level position”, ?

shar61 on January 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM