Video: “The A-Team” trailer

posted at 7:16 pm on January 8, 2010 by Allahpundit

I want to love it but what is there to love? It looks like any other generic CGI action caper. The way to go with a show as cheesy and beloved as “The A-Team” is to follow the lead of “The Brady Bunch Movie” and turn it into a loving spoof of the cheesiest elements. This looks like … a straight-up remake, without even the sort of stunt casting that could have partly redeemed it. Instead of Ice Cube as B.A. Baracus, we get some Ultimate Fighting guy. And of course the tool from the unwatchable “Hangover” as Face.

The only hopeful sign: Sharlto Copley, who was fantastic as the lead in “District 9,” gets to show his range by playing, er, Murdock. Exit question: Wait for the DVD?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Alahpundit, I was going to recommend a pizza place in Chicago, where they do it right, but then I saw this. I hate you.

livefreerdie on January 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I just can’t do it. However, I did buy a mini-14 because of the show.

Sanjoboy on January 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Exit question: Wait for the DVD?

Chump. I’ll be there opening day.

Vyce on January 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM

This needs to be permanently shelved. All copies destroyed. And let’s pretend like it never happened. I hate it when a bad movie remake of a mediocre TV series fails to come together.

Carl on January 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I went to see Sherlock Holmes over the Christmas holidays and enjoyed it. One of the trailers was for the remake of Clash of the Titans with Liam Neeson as Zeus. While watching that unfold on screen I felt the coffin lid being nailed shut on my childhood.

When can we expect a movie version of Manimal?

Mike Honcho on January 8, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I was partial to Automan and Misfits of Science myself.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM

When can we expect a movie version of Manimal?

Mike Honcho on January 8, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I’d prefer a movie version of Pink Lady And Jeff starring Maki Goto and Rika Ishikawa as Pink Lady and me as Jeff.

holygoat on January 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM

That doesn’t make you a heretic. Not liking the A-Team simply means you prefer having sex with men instead of women. :)

AaronGuzman on January 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I think Mrs. Fawlty, Sybil, just fainted. :)

Basil Fawlty on January 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Can’t wait to see it. Can’t. Wait.

bonnie_ on January 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I think Mrs. Fawlty, Sybil, just fainted. :)

Basil Fawlty on January 8, 2010 at 11:32 PM

¿Que?

Left Coast Right Mind on January 8, 2010 at 11:35 PM

According to IMDb, both Dirk Benedict and Dwight Schultz are on the cast list, but without character names. I’m wondering if that means they have cameos or something. Don’t see Mr. T though, maybe he was asked and refused, since he got that gig with World of Warcraft.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Looks good!!!

canopfor on January 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM

HotAirExpert,

I’m worried about this, but I will probably see it. The real problem is I hear they are fast-tracking a Back to the Future remake. That I cannot stand for. Smurfs, GI Joe, Transformers, A-Team fine, but leave Marty McFly ALONE!!

So for the Back to the Future Remake will the timeline change? Perhaps Marty is going back 30 years…to 1980?

Mike Honcho on January 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM

I’ve watched the trailer several times. The potential is there.
As per Wiki:
According to writer Michael Brandt, the adaptation will be more in vein of Die Hard, The Bourne Identity, and Casino Royale.”
Make the plan come together. There is no Plan B.
But the use of a vehicle (that predates GW-1) by characters from 2003 (a 20 year difference), as a battering ram to bust through a “gate” (5 fence poles and goat fence?) gave me a bad feeling.
The para-drop of a tank (looks like a T-72 derivative) is simply beyond my suspension-of-disbelief limits (yeah, I know it’s been done, but with sub-20ton vehicles and a retro-rocket pack that fires about 300’ up).
Please tell me that this is from a dream-sequence or a shock-therapy-and-thorazine-induced-WoW flashback, or something.

Arbalest on January 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM

¿Que?

Left Coast Right Mind on January 8, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Even though I am a B+ in all things and should receive a Nobel Peace Prize even though I don’t deserve one, I will admit I need you to please translate “¿Que?”

Basil Fawlty on January 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Glad to hear you also thought “Hangover” was unwatchable.

rrpjr on January 9, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I was never desperate enough to watch the A team, so I’ll watch the movie with no preconceived notions about how cheesy the actors have to be to get down to the original A Team level.

csdeven on January 9, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I was expecting a disaster, but the trailer isn’t that bad.

Fighting from a tank on parachutes against a jet fighter? Probably worth the price of admission right there.

Might be the only good thing, who knows.

Merovign on January 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Basil Fawlty on January 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Your waiter, who’s from Barcelona by the way, used to say it all the time.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 9, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Stuntcasting is always good for cheesy blockbusters. Though I don’t see how Ice Cube makes for a more interesting choice. What fanbase in terms of cheese would he be pulling in?

The choice of Rampage Jackson (“the Ultimate Fighting guy” makes sense. Always looked the part. Has a following being part of the fastest growing sport in the US plus as an added bonus. He’s never acted before. oi

It is what it is. Citizen Kane on steroids.

PunditFight on January 9, 2010 at 1:42 AM

SilverStar830 on January 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Mike Honcho on January 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM

“Hello? Kurt? This is your cousin, Marvin Cobain. You know that new sound you’ve been looking for …”

AaronGuzman on January 9, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Yeah I just don’t see a revised timeline working out. Culturally, socially, and technologically, things haven’t changed as dramatically in the past thirty years as they had in the thirty year period covering the first film. Okay so yeah you have the internet and the fall of the Soviet Union, but I don’t see how you’d work that into the story in any meaningful or humorous way.

A film version of the 90′s cult series Sliders would be interesting. That series had so much potential.

Mike Honcho on January 9, 2010 at 4:32 AM

Just more proof that Hollywood is totally bereft of any new ideas.

Mike Honcho is right – Sliders ended too soon. But how about some of the more obscure cartoons of the seventies? Like SeaLab 2020?

Squiggy on January 9, 2010 at 7:11 AM

Even when this comes out on DVD, I won’t watch it. I will never be that bored. If I even come close to being that bored, I’d eat a gun barrel.

Clash of the Titans…The A-Team…A Nightmare on Elm Street…Alice in Wonderland…The Green Hornet…Robin Hood…The Smurfs…The Karate Kid…Marmaduke…Footloose…Red Dawn…Marvin the Martian… No, this is not a trip down nostalgia lane. These are upcoming movies!

ynot4tony2 on January 9, 2010 at 8:26 AM

It actually looks alright. And I loved the TV show, but you have to admit, there isn’t too much to work with there.

I’m glad they played it straight–the spoof angle like in Starsky & Hutch is more a cop-out than anything, since it’s admitting you can’t make a movie worthy of the original.

I look forward to renting this one someday.

cackcon on January 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM

*loved* Sharlto Copley in District 9. He had a lot of depth in that role.. was able to play a guy who seemed a bit awkward, yet was incredibly skilled at his job. At the start of that movie I expected to hate his character, and by the end I really felt for him.

*loved* Taken, and would see Liam Neeson in just about anything. I forgive him for phantom menace.. who among us is without sin, right? plus, wikipedia tells me he was an amateur boxer, “footballer” in college, physics and computer science major, forklift and truck driver for Guinness… he has done stuff that prepares him, somewhat, for this role. I just like the guy. He seems to have had a faithful and loving marriage, always comes off as a really nice guy in interviews, and this year became a naturalized US citizen. I hope he does well, and will support him in this movie.

Ice Cube? Really? He’s a good actor, but I just don’t see him in this role. I don’t follow the ultimate fighting, so I’m not familiar with this Rampage guy, but he certainly has the physical presence that is essential for B.A. Ice Cube really doesn’t have it. I’ve read some comments on other sites that Rampage is a good performer, so I’m willing to wait and see how it all turns out.

Never saw the hangover, nor anything else Bradley Cooper has done, so I’ll reserve judgement there, too.

vermillionsky on January 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Holy crap! It’s Rampage! Hahaha awesome! What crme are they accused of? Giving a terrorist a fat lip?

Perhaps Marty is going back 30 years…to 1980?

– Mike

No! I’ve been saying this for years! They have to wait until 2015 and he goes back to 1985!

1885, 1955, 1985, and 2015 – that’s the time line of the BttF series … please Hollywood, don’t screw it up!

Tony737 on January 9, 2010 at 9:26 AM

“Oh my God, they found me. I don’t know how they did it, but they found me.”

“Who?”

“Who do you think? AL-QAEDA! RUN MARTY!”

Tony737 on January 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM

God forbid Obama gets re-elected, but …

“I’m goin’ to college and I’m gonna make something of myself!”

“That’s right, he’s gonna be president!”

“Yeah I’m gonna be pr … PRESIDENT!”

“A black president? That’ll be the day.”

“You watch, I AM gonna be president! And I’m gonna clean screw up this country!”

——————————————————–

“Ok, ‘Future Boy’, who’s president of the United States in 2015?”

“Barack Obama.”

“Barack Obama? A MUSLIM?! HA! And who’s VICE president, the Ayatolla?! And I suppose Kadaffi is the Secretary of State!”

Tony737 on January 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Mike Honcho on January 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Dude. (brain explodes onto the monitor)

- The Cat

MirCat on January 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Yes, it’s Liam Neeson.

It could have been worse.

James on January 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Sanjoboy on January 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Hopefully your a better shot with it than anyone on the show was.

Allah, thank goodness I’m not the only one who thought “The Hangover” was pretty, ‘meh’.

My whole family was so stoked about the movie telling me how hilarious it was. I watched it about a week ago and thought it was, well, ‘meh’.

catmman on January 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Count m as one who will see it. Loved the TV show, so why not see the movie. Not sure I agree with face man casting, but WHO CARES? IT’S THE ATEAM YA’LL!

jdsmith0021 on January 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I thought The Hangover was hilarious, but I think it’s one of those movies that depends on the element of surprise. It’s not as funny if you’ve heard all the hype and had all the funny situations described to you beforehand. I wouldn’t see it again.

packsoldier on January 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I would like Ving Rhames
To play B J Baracas.
I’ll go anyway…

Haiku Guy on January 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Mike Honcho on January 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM

[Marty wakes his father by blaring Lady Gaga over his iPod]

“I am Jar Jar Binks. And I come from the planet Pandora.”

AaronGuzman on January 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I do enjoy watching Liam Neeson. Especially enjoyed Taken. Don’t know if I will see this movie but AP’s review of a trailer (or Ed’s review of the movie if there is one) won’t be a factor. Frankly, I pity da fool who cares what unpaid, untrained reviewers think of anything.

Extrafishy on January 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I guess remakes are the easy way to make money.
Original, real original…

elderberry on January 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

It could have been worse.

James on January 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Actually, I’d pay money to see that.

AaronGuzman on January 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM

And of course the tool from the unwatchable “Hangover”

This is the most offensive thing you’ve ever written. As your penance, I think you need to make a 70-minute movie review explaining your case.

Heywood U. Reedmore on January 9, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Are you kidding me? Of course I will see this!! B-action movies are my favorites!

And yes, I am serious.

ladyingray on January 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I pity the FOOL that will go see this movie!!!!

Bubba Redneck on January 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM

B

asil Fawlty on January 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Your waiter, who’s from Barcelona by the way, used to say it all the time.

Left Coast Right Mind on January 9, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Ah Pauli, whatever you do don’t mention the war. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

Bubba Redneck on January 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Haiku Guy on January 9, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Not to be a correcting jerk, but it’s B. A Baracus.

And in general…Liam..No. George Peppard is they guy who can woo Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, then be a badass in A-Team. Not you.

walnut on January 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I dunno, it doesn’t look too bad. And don’t diss Liam Neeson. I never thought of him as an action hero until I saw Taken. That guy kicked some serious ass. And he wasn’t even remotely apologetic about it.

SukieTawdry on January 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Personally, I don’t think the trailer was that bad either, but then my own memory of the original A-Team is somewhat limited and that could easily be a factor in my impression.

I do have to question how they could possibly even attempt an A-Team movie without Mr. T, however. Mr. T doesn’t get old: he just ferments.

Cylor on January 10, 2010 at 7:21 AM

I reserve the right to make a judgement.

Most movies made from TV shows suck with the exception of three I can think of.

The Fugitive
Startsky and Hutch (mindless popcorn movie fun,but not a classic)
Get Smart (more mindless fu plus you get to stare at Anne Hathaway for two hours [insert tiger growl sound effect here])

I leanred a long time ago, you can’t always trust the previews. They can sometimes look like crap and the movie rocks or they they look good and the movie’s crap (ie: X-Men Origins Wolverine.)n

Pcoop on January 10, 2010 at 9:52 AM