Should Palin skip CPAC?

posted at 9:05 pm on January 8, 2010 by Allahpundit

A better question: Why shouldn’t Palin skip CPAC? She’s got her grassroots flank covered by speaking at the tea party convention and she’s got her party establishment flank covered by speaking at the SRLC. What does she gain by speaking at CPAC? With no obvious benefit in attending, better to skip it and use your absence to burnish your credentials as a crusader against corporate interests. Even Rick Moran, who’s no Palin fan, agrees she’s making some shrewd moves.

Or is she? A better question is, should Palin be skipping the tea party convention?

The Tea Party Convention is being organized by Tea Party Nation, a for-profit company that runs a social networking website for activists, but is not considered a leading group in the tea party movement. It’s paying for Palin’s fee (reported to be in the low six figures) and other overhead by selling tickets (at $560 a pop) and by offering sponsorships, in some cases for $50,000 each.

Tea Party Nation is hoping to turn a profit from its convention so that it can “funnel money back into conservative causes” through a 527 group it plans to set up to get involved in campaigns, according to Judson Phillips, the group’s president…

But some Tea Party activists and organizers have questioned whether Tea Party Nation can pull off a successful convention, and also whether its plans are consistent with the goals of the grassroots movement, which exploded onto the scene last year when conservatives mobilized in opposition to the ambitious big-spending initiatives backed by President Barack Obama and congressional Democrats…

“She thinks she’s coming to endorse the tea party movement, but most tea party people won’t be there because they can’t afford it,” [Anthony Shreeve, a Tennessee tea-party organizer,] said. “The tea party movement is a grass-roots movement; it’s not a business,” he added, asserting the convention “could potentially harm the movement, because it’s a premature national initiative that doesn’t have the support of the majority of we the people.”

The base loves her too much to hold her participation in the cooptation of the tea-party movement against her, but for what little it’s worth, when I tweeted about the ticket prices last night there was plenty of grumbling in response and some complaints (echoed in Politico’s story) that the convention isn’t a “true” bottom-up leaderless tea-party event. If she’s decided she’ll only do either that or CPAC, she probably made the right choice — it’s tea partiers who have the media buzz right now — but I’m not sure it’s an unalloyed good. Exit question: Is it?

Comments

Yes. Until CPAC disassociates with Keene and the John Birch Society.

Enoxo on January 8, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Bingo.

powerpro on January 8, 2010 at 11:09 PM

The John Birch Society is a sponsor of this event. William F. Buckley spent years trying to keep these racists apart from the conservative movement.

tetriskid on January 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Thanks. If that is the case then why did Rush and Ann appear last year?

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM

All this smack talk about CPAC isn’t making much sense. What am I missing?

Saltysam on January 8, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Good Post! I am wondering the samething. I don’t see how you get anymore conservative than Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Jim Demint and they spoke last year.

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Probably because the Birchers didn’t sponsor last year.

ihasurnominashun on January 8, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Probably because the Birchers didn’t sponsor last year.

ihasurnominashun on January 8, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Thank You. I watched some of CPAC last year and thought it was good but I guess we can now stand back and watch the Republican Party Civil War start. Somehow this is not going to end good.

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Somehow this is not going to end good.

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM

You are absolutely right … if you support RINO’s like Scozzafava. ;o)

DannoJyd on January 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM

When I looked at the CPAC site they had a list of great “invited” speakers. Including Rush & Ann, but I don’t know who has committed. It will be interesting to see if others have a problem with anything going on this year.

Cindy Munford on January 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM

CPAc is a mitt fanboy site. why would Palin set herself up to be used as a foil for Mitt?

As far as the tea party “convention” yes it is a bottom up organization however it also needs to have some type of leader/leaders. It is only fitting that those leaders met the grassroots somewhere inbetween

unseen on January 8, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Good grief Batman these people are crazy! Are You people nuts? Ann Coulter and Rush? These two are entertainers who make their living off of the right wing of the Republican party. I love these two but they are in a different position than Palin. They will NEVER run for office! These two would be happy to get nothing more than the extreme right wing as their base and they can make a glorious living from that base. Sarah has to walk a fine line between being lumped in with the extreme right wing and never being able to reach out to the middle OR coming across as a go along to get along Republican; IE McCain, Steele and the RINOs. It is fun to wave the bloody shirt and enjoy the wave of adulation but someone has to be an adult here and it looks like Sarah!

inspectorudy on January 8, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Relax. I venture to guess that uknowmorethanme was referring to only the faux conservatives with all the poor representation of unattractive abstract ideas of big government or unprincipled in character like Frums, Brooks, Parkers, etc … You know, the token ones who voted for Obama.

Americannodash on January 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM

That I absolutely agree with. I truely didn’t/don’t understand his post. I could not see that in there, if thats’ what he was getting at I agree
100%.

dhunter on January 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Cindy Munford on January 8, 2010 at 11:39 PM

My point exactly Cindy. If Rush & Ann spoke there last year now why is it all the sudden so RINO? Capt. Ed Morrissey was at last year’s CPAC. I don’t understand. Guess we will see.

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:50 PM

inspectorudy on January 8, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Love your post.

She really is….the ADULT when you think about it.

Sapwolf on January 9, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Palin’s fee
$560 a pop
they can’t afford it

You need to bold more references to the cost.

I can’t see the spittle flecks on my screen yet.

cs89 on January 9, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Oh, and I attended a local Tea Party event here on April 15, and it was kind of what you would expect of a new, growing and developing movement. Amateur public speakers, passion, not a lot of polish and folks pulling in 3 directions at once.

Kind of like the colonists in 1774, IMO.

It’ll take time for the Tea Party movement to either form into a recognizable force within a conservative GOP (my wish), a separate entity, or a fringe group (e.g., current Libertarian Party or Greens).

cs89 on January 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM

cs89 on January 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Good Luck!

Dire Straits on January 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:50 PM

As others have said, the Birchers are a huge part of the problem. With the media trying to paint Palin and the Tea Party movement as a bunch of kooks, the last thing any conservative needs is to be associated with a movement whose founder was a Pearl Harbor truther, and who called Eisenhower a “conscious, dedicated agent of the Communist conspiracy”.

We’re the party (and movement) of Reagan and Buckley, not Welch and RON PAUL!!!

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM

We’re the party (and movement) of Reagan and Buckley, not Welch and RON PAUL!!!

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I know that there will be a lot of good conservatives (long before the Tea Parties) at CPAC so try to make sure that your Tea Party movement doesn’t kick some good conservatives to the curb.

Dire Straits on January 9, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM

You want to avoid a civil war? Then work to marginalize people like Scozzafava, and the Birchers. Because as much as they hate each other, they are both objectively pro-infighting. The Birchers exist primarily to keep conservatism out of the mainstream, and the Scozzafavas exist to keep conservatism out of the party. They can both point to each other, with sincerity and even accuracy, as evidence that conservatives/Republicans are crazy/cynical, respectively.

I have had my doubts about Palin, and I still do. But what she is doing now is a great service to people who want to prevent a civil war.

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Dire Straits on January 9, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I don’t doubt it. And it isn’t exactly my movement – I’m just some guy commenting on the internet. If the Tea party movement starts going after people for attending CPAC, you’ll have a legitimate complaint, and so will I because I’ll agree with you. But here we are talking about a dispute with the organizers, who have clearly lost their way.

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 12:35 AM

test

platypus on January 9, 2010 at 12:36 AM

test

platypus on January 9, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Success!

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 12:38 AM

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Good Point! Good Posts! I just do not want a Civil War in the Republican Party and looks like we are fixing to go down that path so let’s just hope for best.

Dire Straits on January 9, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Dire Straits on January 9, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Agreed, I’ve been worried about it as well. Here’s hoping for sanity.

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:50 PM

My understanding of the reason Gov. Palin turned it down is because of corporate sponsorship. I believe she is on record believing that they may expect something in return which again she has steered away from. I have no reason to think there is anything wrong with CPAC this year as opposed to last year. But I will be able to tell by who decides not to speak whether there is a problem. I look forward to watching.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Good info and you are right about being able to see who shows up. Should be interesting. Meanwhile lets help kill Obamacare!

Dire Straits on January 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Dire Straits on January 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM

I am with you. Job One!!

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Go Sarah!

sweet pea on January 9, 2010 at 1:16 AM

wordpress sucks

platypus on January 9, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Do all you doubters live in eternal hope of fairy tales coming true? You sound like obamabots who are looking for your net fix.

Tea Party is a mindset – like it was in the beginning. Leaderless is what won the American Revolution. Don’t start with the GEO. Washington stuff either – there was over 12 years before the constitution was even ratified so that he could be president.

Part 1

sweet pea on January 9, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Word press will not let me post the intended comment on this thread. So, it is now the 29th comment on the Dr. Zero Tea Party thread.

sweet pea on January 9, 2010 at 1:43 AM

You know, the convention price sticker includes six meals and a bunch of speakers over a 3 day period, with Sarah being the keynote speaker on the last day, with a banquet.

I don’t really think of $550 that high a price for what it involves.

atheling on January 9, 2010 at 2:09 AM

What the heck?

All Anti- Palins SHOULD BE HAPPY, right? She’s not attending. Period. Your favorites will be monopolizing the Events. They can all suck on Keene and the racist, 9-11 conspirator JBS. It’s another chance to get the good graces of Rush, Anne, etc.

If Palin doesn’t want to, it’s her decision. Unwise Decision? Let me give you an example:

Romney’s MACare.

WHO ARE WE TO TELL PALIN WHAT SHE SHOULD DO OR NOT? YOU ARE ALL PEOPLE OF SHORT MEMORY. REMEMBER LAST YEAR WHEN SHE RESIGNED AND EVERYBODY’S THROWING ALL DIRTY WORDS AGAINST HER BECAUSE IT’S AN ‘UNWISE DECISION’?????

YOU PEOPLE SHOULD START SHUTTING YOUR MOUTH UP! PALIN OWES YOU NOTHING!

Allahpundit <<<< Now fast-becoming a dirty Palin stalker! Yuck!

TheAlamos on January 9, 2010 at 2:09 AM

YOU PEOPLE SHOULD START SHUTTING YOUR MOUTH UP! PALIN OWES YOU NOTHING!

Shhh, it’s late and some of us are trying to sleep.

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Even Rick Moran, who’s no Palin fan, agrees she’s making some shrewd moves.

Rick needs to pull his head out of his butt. I like a lot of what he writes, but he has a real blind spot when it comes to Sarah Palin. And I don’t think it’s rational.

Regarding CPAC, she’s right not to go just because of the Bircher connection; they’re poison. And who cares what fee she charges where? Capitalism, baby. If the market will bear it, charge it.

irishspy on January 9, 2010 at 2:44 AM

unseen on January 8, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Palin/Romney
Romney/Palin

Either choice would work for me.

btw – If the Tea Party forms a national organization I think we’ll be surprised at how many formerly uninvolved people join. especially if the Tea Partiers don’t call themselves a political party. at least at first.

CSK on January 9, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Where is Allahpundit and who is this cat sitting in his chair?

I mean you are almost starting to “get it.” Good. Glad the ether is wearing off.

But with that said, what is there to understand about all of this stuff? If there was ever a serious no brainer…..

First, we know Keene is corrupt, we also know Sarah knows Keene is corrupt. (Meg’s statement pretty well spells that out, and kicks him in the nuts at the same time, something the ‘Cuda has down to a science)

We know Sarah’s signature issue, her real claim to fame is taking on corrupt Republicans…..anyone need further explanation?

Second, CPAC most certainly has become “establishment.”

Remember, this is a place that had Arlen Specter not long ago. Throw in Romney and Huckabee, and as someone else said, there isn’t a whole lot of “C” in CPAC!

Plus, they screwed Sarah over big time last year by using her name to sell tickets when she had never said she’d come.

Remember this was when Celtic Cow, Jeanne Devon, and the rest of the Alaska Mafia were in high gear and filing ethics complaints every time she farted, so she pretty much couldn’t accept.

So what does Keene do? Trash her.

On the other hand, anyone who goes to the Tea Party convention website that has an IQ higher than canned cling peaches can figure out who this convention is geared towards and what the agenda is.

This isn’t an overgrown Amway meeting!

It’s not intended for the rank and file Tea Party attendee. Though they are welcome. This convention is geared toward the local Tea Party LEADERS. The ones who run the local chapters.

The idea is to send the leader(s) from each local group, fill their heads full of knowledge and ideas, and allow them to network with other LEADERS of local Tea Party chapters. Ideas, plans, and phone numbers will be exchanged.

The networking opportunities alone are worth the price of the ticket!

Besides that, the folks putting on the convention encourage and offer up suggestions on how each chapter can raise some money to send their representatives, so basically, this won’t even cost the attendees anything out of their pockets.

That’s how capitalism, and conservatism works.

BTW, I especially love everyone who is chirping that Sarah should do this for free. I tell you what, I need about $100,000 worth of updates to the house. Anyone want to come do that for free. Sure would appreciate it. Besides, if you are good at it, you SHOULDN’T charge! (sounds stupid when you say it, huh?)

With all of the lies out there about Sarah, speeches and fees, I’d take the “being paid” angle with a grain of salt.

Remember Iowa? Remember the outrage over her $100K fee. Remember it turned out she wasn’t even going, and never was?

That came from Politico as well. (Romney shills) CNN, certainly no Palin supporter says she is NOT getting paid, so who knows. Two men say they’re Jesus, one of them must be wrong! (H/T Mark Knoffler)

But I hope if she is getting paid, it’s HUGE, she deserves it!

Now, back to the convention. The price isn’t all that out of line. I’ve been to a bunch of these sort of things in the automobile business, and the costs of renting facilities, putting together materials for the attendees to read and take home, plus event supplies, staff, security, whatever, add up fast. Throw in some crappy coffee, a stale donut or two, and some rubber chicken dinners,and there you are.

Frankly, most of those I went to had little to offer from the actual planned event. But the networking, the ideas I got from other attendees, was absolutely priceless.

The Tea Party deal will be a success. Just looking at their stated goals, it will be hard to screw it up.

They will LOVE Michelle Bachmann and they will LOVE Sarah.

The people who get to go will come home with a sack full of handouts and phone numbers, and they will be pumped to the max. They’ll tell stories to the rank and file and get them excited.

Works every time it’s tried.

This is a win all of the way around.

gary4205 on January 9, 2010 at 2:50 AM

Love your optimism gary. It’s a breath of fresh air during extreme doldrums. No matter what happens at the convention, the momentum is going to grow. It’s just a matter of how much and how fast.

CSK on January 9, 2010 at 3:00 AM

tetriskid on January 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Thanks. If that is the case then why did Rush and Ann appear last year?

Dire Straits on January 8, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Your LACK OF COMMON SENSE is NO BOUNDS.

Haven’t you thought that JBS was NOT a sponsor last year or even in the last 5 years?

Wait until this fact becomes viral. Even Rush will be forced NOT TO ATTEND.

But notice this: It’s no harm for Rush or Anne to attend this event. After all, they won’t be looking for VOTES of the grassroots in the near future. They can even go to CPAC and slam its organization.

TheAlamos on January 9, 2010 at 3:50 AM

I wonder how much Lincoln and Douglas charged for a debate?

unclesmrgol on January 9, 2010 at 4:49 AM

To all NON-Democrat stalkers here at HA,

THE TEA PARTY MOVEMENT is a new organization. No money. No national network yet.

If you want to build it … PAY FOR ITS COST!

That if you’re really serious ENOUGH!

US$560 may be too much but I THINK it’s worth it, given the efforts being made by the all local Tea Party organizers.

We need to formalize everything and that requires “funding”.

TPM is not idiot enough to give everything to Palin, if every, unless its organizers are idiots like Dire Straits.

TheAlamos on January 9, 2010 at 5:07 AM

And just what is wrong with the John Birch Society?!

BobAnthony on January 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM

They’re conspiratorial nuts?

Enoxo on January 8, 2010 at 9:16 PM

You Rushtards are too much. The JBS were more accurate about the subversion of the nation than your precious triumvirate of Limbaugh,Hannity,Levin.

Are you saying there is no socialist attempt at taking over our society?

True_King on January 9, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Are you saying there is no socialist attempt at taking over our society?

True_King on January 9, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Just wondering, do you believe in the Illuminati?

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 6:07 AM

I think the convention is overly organized, personally. Grassroots works best when there’s a bit of spontanaeity. There’s some Teaparty action planned where nobody goes to work or buys anything coming up. I forget the date, but it’ll get news soon.

That sounded terrific and fun and different. A convention is just so….well, typical.

However, Palin perks it up. At least they snagged her.

AnninCA on January 9, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Not so long ago any conservative who did not go to CPAC was in trouble. I don’t know, I have to admit I am getting a little weary of all this.

Terrye on January 9, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Not so long ago any conservative who did not go to CPAC was in trouble.

Times change. Anyway, mandatory attendance doesn’t speak well for a movement. If not going to a conference gets you in trouble, that suggests its gone from being an opportunity to meet and exchange ideas to a stupid ritual.

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM

There’s some Teaparty action planned where nobody goes to work or buys anything coming up….

That sounded terrific and fun and different.

AnninCA on January 9, 2010 at 6:41 AM

I’m afraid that sounds like the antithesis of the conservative philosophy.

RINO in Name Only on January 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Palin made the right choice in turning down CPAC.

The JBS is putting out press releases promoting their sponsorship of CPAC, and she, or any other conservative, doesn’t need to be labeled as endorsing the fringe. And that’s exactly how the media will play it.

I hope CPAC attracts all the kooks away from the Tea Party movement, including the Paulians and the birthers, many of whom are Birchers, or at least see nothing wrong with JBS.

Gather them all in one place and get the circus over with.

Nichevo on January 9, 2010 at 7:58 AM

CCRWM on January 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM

You really don’t learn a whole lot. I go every year it is more of a social event than a learning event.

xler8bmw on January 9, 2010 at 8:08 AM

I wonder how much Lincoln and Douglas charged for a debate?

unclesmrgol on January 9, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Not applicable they were candidates. Although how many 25K dinners and 10K breakfasts have candidates attended.

Cindy Munford on January 9, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Sarah should do whatever works for Sarah–period.

jeanie on January 9, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Actually after going to the website it looks like the ticket to the convention is $349 and the banquet where Palin is going to speak is another $349. You can get a combined ticket to both events for $540, but it looks like they are counting on just the banquet to fund Palin speaking fee.

The real point and issue is if this was a real political movement she endorsed she would be attending it for only travel cost at most, but instead as you said this is just a for profit event. The fact that she is charging them tells me she is not endorsing this group and why I won’t attend.

JeffinSac on January 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Yes, but my point is that the convention itself might not really be part of the tea-party movement. At least, not in the eyes of some.

Allahpundit on January 8, 2010 at 9:11 PM

If those involved in the tea party movement feel that the convention is inappropriate I guess they won’t be attending and therefore should stop kvetching about the cost.

People need to stop expecting Palin to pander to them – seems like she is entitled to decide who she will support/endorse.

katiejane on January 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Allah’s full of crap pitching Erickson’s self-serving BS.

So RedState is Owned by CPAC and he’s bitching that Palin shouldn’t be going to a convention organized by a “for profit” company?

Washington “conservatives” aren’t! That seems to include Mr. RedState himself. At least he should admit upfront he’s pissed Palin dissed his boss. If Eric had any guts he’d disassociate RedState from CPAC’s sponsorship and go back to being an independent conservative. Is the marketplace too tough for you now Mr. Erickson?

rcl on January 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

AnninCA on January 9, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Spontaneous grassroots organizing has it’s place and should be part of the movement, but it’s a recipe for failure in fielding candidates who actually get into office.

The “Convention” may be a step in the right direction (and Palin will give it energy to work toward movement cohesion and messaging), but it’s a pretty far leap from independent Tea Party rallies to getting people aligned with TP philosophy into Congress and Senate seats.

I think it’s doable, but a lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen.

$ and good candidates are key.

Egos and infighting are likely to pop up, though, and can smother this baby in the crib.

We’ll see.

cs89 on January 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Joke: The only problem with the anarchy movement in the US is that it lacks strong leadership and guidance.
Fact: The tea party movement can be a real political force, but it needs to focus on a key objective and work in concert to make it happen. I see Sarah Palin as the philosophical leader of that movement, but she must declare and assume the leadership mantle.
When I was in the Army I knew real leaders. Men that I would follow into hell. I knew others I wouldn’t follow to the mess hall. I will follow Sarah Palin into hell because I have faith that she will lead us through to the other side and we will come out singed, but victorious. I have NO such faith in any other Republican right now. I’m just waiting for her to say “lock and load”.

Extrafishy on January 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Do all you doubters live in eternal hope of fairy tales coming true? You sound like obamabots who are looking for your next fix.

Tea party is a mindset – like it was in the beginning. Leaderless is what won the American Revolution. Don’t start with the Geo. Washington stuff either – there was over 12 years before the constitution was even ratified so that he could be a president.

The Tea Party Nation is an effort to pivot certain cultural forces into a money profit. Private enterprise at its finest. But it is not grassroots and only an idiot would think that Sarah doesn’t see at least what allahpundit sees.

Sarah is on her way to the White House. The path is a secret, whch is as it should be. Make no mistake – this is not a Sarah ad hoc operation. More like the Iraq surge – a bold visionary strategy designed by a brilliant general.

The tea parties must remain grassroots, meaning local small groups loosely affiliated with nearby groups like a spider web. Each one (or a few of them acting in concert) popping up at random with a flashmob every so often. Individually, each one is like a single rice krispie. But across the country, it’s thousands of rice krispies and taken together it will be a deafening sound.

It’s our version of whack-a-mole. A steady drumbeat of protests rolling across the country back and forth.

No way the libtards can get in front of it nor can they assign group fault because the groups have sufficient differences so that anything that sticks to one will be greeted by “you talkin’ to me?” from the next one.

When the time comes to go political, Sarah will whip out her Palin Bot Whistle and we alone will hear her call. (okay, that’s a sarc but just barely)

sweet pea on January 9, 2010 at 1:31 AM

For Sweet Pea

GunRunner on January 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Ah, the whiners, going on and on about the price. Grow up. We just paid $1,500.00 for our daughter to attend our state’s Young Leaders Conference. Why? Because we feel this will help her future career goals. And you people are whining about $500.00? Are we rich? Not at all. But if you believe in something you will pay the costs, make the effort and succeed. If you are going to get caught up in the issue of cost, the issue of whether or not it was a good decision, or other incidentals, you need to get out of the way and shut up. So far, Sarah Palin has made all the right moves for her political positioning. I think she can handle it from here on out.

chrisknits on January 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Let me start off by stating that I am not a person in the know about CPAC or the Tea Party Movement. All I was asking was what has made CPAC so viral after one year? Last year I streamed a lot of the CPAC conference and saw a lot of conservatives speak and give their views. I then witnessed one of the best speeches (Rush) I ever heard to rally the conservative base to wrap up the conference. Many conservative voices on the radio were talking about the speech for days after it occurred. It left me with a great feeling about conservatism. Now fast foward one year later and we have a group that says CPAC is horrible. I just wanted to know what happened. Several posters have told me it concerns the John Birch Society’s association to the CPAC event. There again I do not know much at all about this group. I will leave that up to the CPAC leadership to determine if they should be involved in the conference.
Sarah Palin is going to be the keynote speaker at the Tea Party Convention and this is rallying a lot of folks. That is great and I am glad. I like Sarah Palin and think she brings a lot to the table. It seems to me that the Tea Party movement has selected her as their point person. I have family and friends that participate in the tea party movement and I do think that the Tea Party movement has spearheaded change. As for myself I am not a Tea Party participant. I am going to let the dust settle a little bit because the Tea Party movement is still unstable in my opinion. While I understand that the Tea Party platform is very simple; it is still trying to bring a lot of different groups together. There is nothing wrong with what the Tea Party is doing but I am old enough to know that when you cast such a wide net some will want to dominate the agenda an have all the power. This has happened all thru history and will happen again ( See far left wing of Dem. Party in power now). So right now I am waiting to see how things shake out.
In closing I want everyone to know that I am a CONSERVATIVE first who votes Republican. But I am like Rush and do not want to see a third party because that will only help the Democrats (He told Palin this also). I prefer to step on a bandwagon instead of jump head first because I see what jumping head first can lead to (refer to 2008 Hope & Change). I Hope I haven’t offended no one. I just asked a simple question and some did not like it. I enjoy talking to each and every one of you and God willing will continue to do so.

Dire Straits on January 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Dire Straits on January 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM

IDIOT! WE ANSWERED YOU ALREADY. JOHN BIRCH SOCIETY!

JBS is an advocate of “SEND ALL TROOPS” back home and a major supporter of 9/11 CONSPIRACY.

Indeed, CPAC 2009 = MITTPAC + PAULPAC!

What will a Palin be doing in there? Politically and by principles, GOOD DECISION FOR PALIN!

TheAlamos on January 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Here is a great post from conservatives4palin.com…

CPAC Or Not CPAC?

Picture this scene:

SP: So, Meg, is there any other business we need to discuss?

MS: Just the CPAC invitation, Governor.

SP: Okay. Kind of a shame that we weren’t able to attend the last coupla years. Now remind me, Meg, who runs the show over there at CPAC?

MS: That would be David Keene, Governor.

SP: Uh-huh. What do we know about Mr Keene, Meg?

MS: Well, if I recall correctly Governor, in an interview with Newsmax in July 2009 he’s the guy who accused you of harbouring resentment about the campaign. He said that you are a quitter, said that you bailed out, that you’ve got to be more than a “rock star”, said that you lack foundation, that you didn’t follow through as a governor, that you’d dropped the pipeline project, that you spent your time whining, that our operation isn’t well run or polished enough.

SP: Hmmm… so Mr Keene thinks I am a resentful, whining, quitter who bailed out and didn’t follow through. That about it?

MS: Yup.

SP: Doesn’t sound like much of a friend to us does he, Meg… And this guy’s invited me to speak at his conference this year, you say?

MS: Yes, Governor.

SP: Now Meg, maybe you can remind me who it was that said this,

“What you need to do is to calculate where your friends and your enemies are, who you need and what you need, and if you’re going to get your message out and you’re going to play on the big stage, those people are all going to be there, so you don’t kowtow or pussyfoot to them…”

Who was it that gave that sound advice, Meg?

MS: That would be David Keene, Governor.

SP: Let Mr Keene know that we won’t be pussyfooting this year, will you please, Meg.

PhilipJames on January 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM

IDIOT! WE ANSWERED YOU ALREADY. JOHN BIRCH SOCIETY!

Indeed, CPAC 2009 = MITTPAC + PAULPAC!

TheAlamos on January 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I get your point!! But could you also get my point. Here is the list of invited speakers to the 2010 CPAC…Invited Speakers Include:
Hon. John Ashcroft*, Amb. John Bolton*, Sen. John Barrasso, Andrew Breitbart*, Herman Cain*, Tucker Carlson*, Sen. Tom Coburn, Ann Coulter*, Sen. Jim DeMint, Hon. Newt Gingrich*, Doug Hoffman*, Gov. Bobby Jindal, David Keene*, Wayne LaPierre*, Mark Levin*, Rush Limbaugh, Gov.-elect Bob McDonnell, Rep. Ron Paul*, Gov. Tim Pawlenty*, Gov. Rick Perry, Hon. Mitt Romney*, Hon. Marco Rubio*, Hon. Rick Santorum*, and many more!

Wow! Looks like CPAC 2010 is all about Romney and Paul doesn’t it. And I also don’t think that all of these speakers are “Birchers” either.

As for the sponsors: Check out the list….
The American Conservative Union

Vernon K. Krieble Foundation

Victory Solutions

The Washington Examiner

Xtreme Media

Young Americans for Freedom

Young America’s Foundation

While there may be some on there that you don’t like there are a whole lot of them that stand for CONSERVATIVE principles and uphold them.
You are entitled to your opinion as an American and I respect that. If Palin wants to miss CPAC 2010 that is her choice and I respect that. In fact that is what makes America great… Freedom of choice!! But I still believe CPAC is a Honorable CONSERVATIVE organization until proven otherwise.
Thank you for your post!

PS.. I am not an idiot and neither are you! Have a good day :)

Dire Straits on January 11, 2010 at 12:28 AM

BTW for all you Palin fans, Mike Huckabee is not going to CPAC either, and before you say he is following Sarah Palin, he told CPAC the middle of December. So, she is probably following his lead.

VFT on January 11, 2010 at 1:44 AM