ABC: Steele gives himself a “solid B” for his first year

posted at 11:30 am on January 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Sometimes in this job, one has to laugh instead of crying.  After Barack Obama went on national television and gave himself a “good, solid B-plus” and endured national ridicule for it, other public figures may have taken that as a warning.   Not only did Michael Steele fail to learn that lesson, he also lashed out at Republicans for giving him significantly lower grades, despite being accountable to them:

ABC News’ Aaron Katersky and Rick Klein report: RNC Chairman Michael Steele is lashing out his critics, with a series of blunt messages for prominent Republicans who have blasted him over his leadership for the Republican Party.

“I tell them to get a life. That’s old Washington, that’s old ways, and I don’t represent that, and that kills them,” Steele told ABC News Radio in an interview today.

“I’m telling them and I’m looking them in the eye and say I’ve had enough of it. If you don’t want me in the job, fire me. But until then, shut up. Get with the program or get out of the way.”

Shut up?  Maybe Steele hasn’t noticed, but America is a place where we hold our leaders accountable, or at least attempt to do so.  While the GOP should be focusing on holding Democrats accountable, Steele argues that we treat him like a dictator, given the keys to Rome for a year in order to rout the barbarians.  At the very least, Steele should familiarize himself with Harry Truman’s famous maxim: if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

And while we’re all supposed to “shut up,” as Steele demands, what kind of evaluation would he give himself?

In his first year as GOP chairman Steele said he would give himself a grade of a “solid B.” He credits himself with raising $80 million, paying off senatorial and congressional committee debt, infusing state parties with money, creating a new Web presence, and winning governor’s races in New Jersey and Virginia.

“A B is not bad; I can do better,” he said.

For the year in which he agreed with D.L. Hughley that the 2008 GOP convention looked like a Nazi rally and his opinion that Republicans aren’t ready to lead?  Er, sure.  He could give himself that “good, solid B-plus.” And it would have much the same meaning as the one Obama assigned himself — a great argument against self-evaluation as a technique.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Republican National Committee

310 First Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003

info@gop.com

p 202.863.8500 | f 202.863.8820

farright on January 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM

He may be doing it on purpose so as to not show that the RNC in charge, rather that the people who elect them, the conservatives are in charge.

NathanG on January 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I love you and I’ll give you a giant hug for staying positive, however, a lot of the bad things he’s said has been against the conservative base. We’re rednecks and racists, don’t forget.

Michael Steele is better at promoting Michael Steele than he is promoting the Republican party. The result is an RNC chair who looks like he isn’t pushing the RNC forward mostly because he isn’t.

12thMonkey on January 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Fire Steele.

Hire Fred Thompson.

Done.

Rebar on January 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM

OK Michael. I gave you your first year.

You get at best a C-. Nobody trusts the RNC. Fundraising is down and you are giving the appearance that you are not anchored securely on the right and that the job is more for you personally via paid speeches, the book, etc.

You are too self-focused for the head of the RNC.

Now is the time to be selfless and step down.

Now is the time for a champion to step in with their feet running, who has NO DOUBTS of their conservative convictions and can articulately express them openly and with confidence and persuasion.

But most of all, someone who can convince Americans to give money to the RNC and build trust and confidence in it’s leadership.

The Scozzafava incident should alone be enough to send the current losers out with their luggage on the streets.

My suggestion?

I don’t know.

Any suggestions?

Sapwolf on January 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Looks like Steele has a bad case of Obamism. Ok then–you’re fired!

conservative pilgrim on January 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I actually think Fred Thompson would be a good choice.

Give him a shot at it. I trust Fred. I bumped into him in Watertown, NY at the Hoffman rally the night before the election.

He has the convictions, is respected, and has experience.

Sapwolf on January 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Narutoboy on January 7, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Nothing would make me happier than as many D’s being swept away during the mid-term elections as possible. I wish Steele would do more to help that happen, he has golden opportunities that he’s letting slip.

DrAllecon on January 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

12thMonkey on January 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Correctomundo.

Sapwolf on January 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Ahhh, contributions to the GOP don’t support Steele’s grading of himself. Republican leadership is not coming from the RNC.

MainelyRight on January 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Exactly.

He’s got his face in the news every day, it seems, but somehow has managed to put his real job responsibilities on the back-burner.

And this is a real shame, because at one point I felt he was going to be an awesome cheerleader for the Republicans. Drill. Lower taxes. Less government.

The number of times I’ve seen him denegrating the party probably outweigh the number of times I’ve seen him promoting a conservative agenda.

He’s out there cheerleading, all right, but it’s mostly for Steele.

12thMonkey on January 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM

So the Republicans have someone in charge who rates himself using the same method as Obama does. Red flag. Apparently he is someone who doesn\’t understand the position he holds either.

ConDem on January 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Fire Steele.
Hire Fred Thompson.
Done.
Rebar on January 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Fred would be awesome at the RNC.

conservative pilgrim on January 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Ken Blackwell should have been the guy.

KeepOhioRed on January 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM

That is the guy I was pulling for in the RNC head election. I sense his convictions are solid.

Sapwolf on January 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I think Palin should be the head of the RNC. That would bring money in.

gophergirl on January 7, 2010 at 11:36 AM

She would bring money in IF she can convince the head honchos in DC to her vision for victory, and big ELITE donors who may not be her biggest fans. I think over time she could convince them.

And, if the GOP took the House back + 5 Senate seats, she would be in position to win the GOP nomination for 2012.

Sapwolf on January 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM

*facepalm* Who’s dumber, the guy who answers the question the first time (and catches heat for it),….or the second guy that answers the same question (and gives himself a lower grade….)???

ted c on January 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Don’t forget, Steele is supposed to lead or represent the GOP leaders.

Sir Napsalot on January 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I think a B would be a strong grade for him.

GW_SS-Delta on January 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Here is the RNC contact info, contact them and demand his resignation.

Republican National Committee

310 First Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003

info@gop.com

p 202.863.8500 | f 202.863.8820

farright on January 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Thanks, farright, just sent off an email.

Rosmerta on January 7, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I think Palin should be the head of the RNC. That would bring money in.

gophergirl on January 7, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Ha, I told the National Committee to draft her in my email. Hey, if they get enough requests like that, who knows?

Rosmerta on January 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM

If only I could fire him, he’d be long gone. Instead, I had to fire the whole damn party.

Mr. Grump on January 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM

It looks like a vote of no confidence.
Michael needs to go and he needs to go now.

diogenes on January 7, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Karl Rove!!!! I know he has a negative name but that won’t matter.

lavell12 on January 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I agree that Fred Thompson would make a good RNC chairman. If he wants the job. If.

Fred shares one of Reagan’s fine attributes which is knowing how to use the TV camera without being obsessed with seeking out the TV camera or over-playing to it. Thompson also already has his other successful careers so he’s not out showboat or get rattled like less seasoned alternatives.

viking01 on January 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM

viking01 on January 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I love Fred. I do. I supported him in the last election cycle before it became obvious he just simply didn’t have the enthusiasm for rolling up his sleeves and getting to brass tacks on things.

Great guy. But I think at this point anything that takes away from sack-time energy for his missus ranks very low on his list of priorities.

12thMonkey on January 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM

>>>Steele lost all of my support when he made the race pandering remark about white people being afraid of him because he is black. Here is the RNC contact info, contact them and demand his resignation.

Republican National Committee

310 First Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003

info@gop.com

p 202.863.8500 | f 202.863.8820

farright on January 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM<<<

Farright, thank you for posting this info. I have been emailing them regularly but I never get any response other than the standard "thank you for contacting us" form letter. Maybe phone calls will work better. Steele needs to go!

GrannySunni on January 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM

So, how’s the GOP fund raising doing?

Washington Times

Party officials say privately that they will need at least $50 million cash on hand by this fall to augment spending by the NRCC in those House races…

the RNC’s $8,749,091 cash on hand.

So he’s doing fine, he just need 41 million dollars in the next 6-8 months. That’s similar to other years, right?

At this time in 2005, the RNC had $34 million in cash on hand

Oh… well, good solid B work, do a little better and we’ll give it a B+ like Obama got.

Don’t sweat it, I’m sure the DNC is worse off, right?

Right?

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) … saw its cash on hand climb to a debt-free $13 million.

Ok, so we’re worse off financially than the Dems, coming in against incumbents in most races, needing to spend more, and seeing a number of our big donors decide not to give.

Shoot, why not call this A- work? Since clearly we’re living in la-la land and not reality.

Wasn’t “B” considered “above average” in the old school grading setup? How does “failing to achieve most of the goals set before you and get things prepared for next year as your job entails” = “above average”? When you fail at most of your primary tasks you’re lucky to get a “D” grade… at least if you’re using the grading scale we’re all familiar with.

Or is the RNC Chairman job not supposed to worry about fundraising and campaigns and instead only supposed to worry about his personal metrics and book sales? Do I have the job description wrong?

Because if his goal was to aggrandize himself and work on his book sales he’s look at a solid A closing in on A+; but I didn’t think that was the job of the Chairman of the RNC.

gekkobear on January 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Mr. Grump on January 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Sounds like a GREAT PLAN!

The place to start is CPAC 2010, February 18-20, 2010 at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel in Washington D.C.

I HOPE & PRAY the Tea Party is out in FORCE that weekend to FORCE the ejection of ALL RINO’s from the GOP.

It’s time for Mainstream Conservative America to take back the Party of Lincoln from the liberal-lites who have infected it.

Roy Rogers on January 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Did they change the grading system again???

Solid B = Fail

PappaMac on January 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Instead of the placing the usual scoop of dog dirt in the return envelope , I will just write “shut up” on the next RNC solicitation I get . I might send a donation to the next repugnican incumbent who calls for his firing .

borntoraisehogs on January 7, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Steele thinks he’s a pundit, not a fundraiser and organizer. On the other hand, maybe it’s working. We did win two gubernatorial races this year. How is the fundraising going?

joe_doufu on January 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I don’t think Affirmative Action gives anything lower than a “B”, so he’s being humble.

Hening on January 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Hening on January 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM

He graded himself lower than Obama, should have given himself a good, solid B-plus using the affirmative action grading scale.

farright on January 7, 2010 at 3:22 PM

If that “Solid B” stands for BUTTHEAD, Steele will get nary an argument from me.

pilamaye on January 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM

12thMonkey on January 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I think what turned off Fred Thompson was that McCain was being promoted as a sort of owed-the-nomination Bob Dole II with about as much thrills and excitement. Romney combined dull person and glossy suits/ hair. Too shiny to sell. That, and GWB had become much like his father… one who didn’t fight back until the free shots given a thoroughly corrupt Democrat Party by their media lackeys (and turncoat double-agent Scott McClellan) took its toll against him. By not using the power of incumbency, particularly after 2004, GWB made it much tougher for any potential GOP successors. Plus GWB began to spend more carelessly, thinking it would increase popularity, instead of alienate him from his base. It reminds me of his father versus Clintoon where Clintoon was a known sleazebag as Arkansas governor yet GHW Bush pretty much rolled over and let the Old Media repackage Slick (e.g. via 60 Minutes shill Steve Kroft) as “a changed man.”

I agree that Fred Thompson appeared far less energetic (maybe more from disgust at the process than lack of energy) than one would have hoped yet much of that appearance attributed to him is played through the same distorted Old Media lens which projected Zerobama as a new Messiah rather than the incompetent vacationing Scare Force One tourist that Obama has proven himself to be.

viking01 on January 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM

“Black Republican” is a oxymoron.

Decider on January 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM

RACIST TROLL ALERT!

Roy Rogers on January 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Solid B? B for Bad!!! How can Steele lead Republicans to take the House if he told Republican-friendly Sean Hannity they can’t do it?

If Steele really wants to know how to lead Republicans to victory, let him follow the Tea Parties around the country for a month, and let THEM write the platform! Then go find candidates pledged to do what the American people are begging them to do! When there’s a mad-as-he!! wave sweeping the country, SURF ON IT!!!

As for who should replace Steele, I nominate Jim DeMint.

Steve Z on January 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Fire Steele.

Hire Fred Thompson.

Done.

Rebar on January 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Amen and amen.

teffertoes on January 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Fire Steele.

Hire Fred Thompson.

Done.

Rebar on January 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Sugarbuzz on January 7, 2010 at 4:05 PM

If the RNC grows a pair and fires the idiot, he’ll go ronin and trash the party as a bunch of racists. He might even offer to help the Dems. Regardless, HE NEEDS TO GO!

jnelchef on January 7, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Sorry Michael Steele. I really dislike you as head of the RNC. I give you a solid D and man, you got to GO!

I will NOT give any wampum to the RNC ’til they get someone with balz to lead!

Gob on January 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Obama gets elected and the GOP is too smart by half putting Steele in front of the camera representing the party.

Why not Colon Powell who crapped all over the Republican Party last year. You could get Chris Buckley to be his handmaiden too.
The moderates will just flood the treasury with cash.

chickasaw42 on January 7, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Roy Rogers on January 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Yippee-ki-yay Mofo !!!!

Jerome Horwitz on January 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM

When you really think about it, only Palin has the hard core conservatives behind her. I say Palin should be the RNC chair…till 2012 of course.

royzer on January 7, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I hope he’s crazy like a fox but I have my doubts.

JohnBissell on January 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM

My suggestion?

I don’t know.

Any suggestions?

Sapwolf on January 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Sarahcuda!!!

Watch the donations POUR in!

Vntnrse on January 7, 2010 at 4:56 PM

So Steele was elected as a response to Obama and Sarah Palin was nominated as a response to Hillary but only Steele is the “Affirmative Action” Candidate according to HA posters.

I think that says it all…

Decider on January 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Until he redirects money to support conservative candidates

Fail.

dthorny on January 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I think that says it all…

Decider on January 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Why does it ALWAYS turn to race when race has NOTHING TO DO WITH WINNING ELECTIONS?

When the democrats get their heads handed to them next November: I think that says it all…

dthorny on January 7, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Get rid of him. Never could stand the guy.

suzyk on January 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM

This assbag needs to go….and pronto!

SmallGovtGuy on January 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Chairman Steele: “The regional czars now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local cells in line. Fear of this battle station being labelled RACIST WHITE TEA BAGGERS.”

What did that other Great Socialist have to say about fear??? Something about the only thing you have to fear is fear itself???

Roy Rogers on January 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Sometimes in this job, one has to laugh instead of crying.

That about sums it all up!

JellyToast on January 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Sapwolf on January 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Agreed on Ken Blackwell. Steele was second choice. Given that RNC is not a reflection of those who vote Republican, Steele was okay.

His campaign for MD Gov. was sad. His self promotion is over the top.

But the glass is half full. Steele has become more conservative. Not enough yet. His aggressiveness is welcome. And it is a way to go to Nov. of ’10 even.

A strong RNC chairman is not suitable for this support position. RNC is support not leadership. A place to watch and promote candidates but from the background. IMHO, appearing on the tube is not helpful but typical of the person. All the same, Steele is doing well enough so I contribute at a low level. But mostly to Jim Inhofe. I get to pick a senator since CA has none.

Constitution, small government and low taxes.

Caststeel on January 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM

But, but the Republicans = Good and are going to save us!

ronsfi on January 7, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Give the keys to Palin on your way out, B-dog.

Ronnie on January 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Steele can have the job until somebody takes it from him.

Hopefully tomorrow.

But I don’t want some apparat to agree to fill a vacancy.

I want somebody to TAKE it.

Chris_Balsz on January 7, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Slightly off topic, but I live in Arizona and just heard a John McCain radio ad this morning for his re-election that has me fuming!! McCain spoke of how he is fighting “massive spending at the worst possible time.”

What?! So, massive spending is okay as long as the economy is doing fine?

No wonder this bozo lost the election! He needs to lose this one, too!!

Come on, J.D. Hayworth!! RUN!!

Special K on January 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Here’s the John McCain link where you can listen to his stupid ad. It’s radio ad 2.

Special K on January 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Hmmm. Let me see…this affirmative action Party head isn’t bringing in blacks, is pissing off whites, is incoherent week to week about what he’s doing and why he was hired….time for Mr. Steele to go and write some more books. Get someone in that job with his head on his shoulders.

bradley11 on January 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM

There’s a lady named Michelle Steel on the California State Board of Equalization. She sent me an email today and I almost wrote her back something less-than-cordial, until I realized that the mail wasn’t from him. LOL

Michael Steele should have been gone after agreeing with D.L. Hughley(sp) regarding that Nazi comment–a comment that was extremely offensive and unequivocally contemptuous toward white people.

baldilocks on January 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM

“Black Republican” is a oxymoron.

Decider on January 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM

You’re a moron.

baldilocks on January 7, 2010 at 7:46 PM

GOPs attempt at affirmative action has failed. I give Steele a Z- grade. No wait that grade is for president Zero. So give Steele a Z+.

docdave on January 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I’ve finally had it with him. He needs to GO!

xplodeit on January 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Steele has to go. We need a real conservative for a RNC chair!

Dr Bob on January 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM

But, but the Republicans = Good and are going to save us!

ronsfi on January 7, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Close..but no cigar.

Conservatives = Good and are going to save the country.

Itchee Dryback on January 7, 2010 at 9:53 PM

He’s just as stupid as Obama. He’s a detriment to the GOP, he’s just as big a RINO as the McCains and he needs to go.

Virus-X on January 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Fred Thompson would be a good replacement for Steele. However, as some have pointed out, why not Palin? I think Palin’s more effective doing exactly what she’s doing now.

So, why not Fred Thompson’s wife, Jeri?

eanax on January 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I get calls from the RNC all the time. I used to donate, regularly. Nowadays, I just hang up on them.

I can donate to candidates directly. Actual conservatives, as I see fit. Not the buffoons Mike Steele seems to like.

rogersnowden on January 8, 2010 at 1:10 PM

“I hope you play this tape over and over again because these folks are the problem, not the solution. Get with the program. I’m the chairman. Deal with it.”

Mr Chairman, I’m sorry, but you are only the chairman and you are as replaceable as anyone else. You are as vulnerable to vices and malfeasance as anyone else. Had I seen this quote without context I’d think you were acting as arrogantly as Barack Obama but now I see you for who you are.

You are here on the pleasure of the members of the republican party, not appointed by higher powers to your position. We can replace you as we see fit and we see no reason to keep you at your station.

Chaz706 on January 8, 2010 at 2:55 PM

D- from me.

Very disappointing.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Bad , bad, Ed And AP. [Nun ruler hand smack.] I heard Steele on Michael Medved today. You went with the fascist mede rather than the Hannity record. Whattsa d’matter youse?

The actual was that Steele wanted no RINOs and it was early in the year.

And all youse guys that took a shot at Steele owe him big time for cheap shots.

Pay up time. $100 each for the indulgence. /sarc Good show for you that this is 21st century.

Now go and sin no more.