Pelosi: We’re “very close” to a deal with the Senate on ObamaCare

posted at 8:22 pm on January 6, 2010 by Allahpundit

Nine months ago, the quarterly party identification gap was 13 points. Now it’s five. Fully 67 percent of likely voters say that their congressman doesn’t represent their best interests. Democratic consultants are whispering to lefty blogs that they genuinely fear losing the House.

None of it matters. You’ll eat this crap sandwich and like it.

“We’ve had a very intense couple of days,” Pelosi said. “After our leadership meeting this morning, our staff engaged with the Senate and the administration staff to review the legislation, suggest legislative language. I think we’re very close to reconciliation.”…

House Democrats are reluctant to abandon elements of their legislation favored by liberals but rejected by Senate moderates, but face doing just that. That means no new government insurance plan, which the House wanted but the Senate omitted, and changes to the House’s preferred payment scheme. The House wants to raise income taxes on individuals making more than $500,000 and couples over $1 million. The Senate would slap a new tax on high-cost insurance plans. Although the Obama administration supports the Senate’s insurance tax as a cost-saver, labor unions, which contribute heavily to Democratic candidates, oppose it.

According to the AP, The One’s ready to tell the House to suck it up on that latter point too. There’s only one thing that stands between us and ObamaCare now, my friends: Blanche Lincoln’s terrible, terrible poll numbers. Er, I mean Blanche Lincoln’s inspiring devotion to governmental ethics.

Dude, I think it’s over.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I am right there with you, Omaha…prayers & $$$

BTW, is the global warming affecting your state too?

lukespapa on January 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Dude, I think it’s over.

Not when 22 separate states pass legislation nullifying it, it won’t be. Not to mention the constitutional challenges which will knock big pieces of it right out the door. And, when major portions get repealed a year from now.

It ain’t over until the criminals who foisted this on us are in jail. That’s when it’s over.

JDPerren on January 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM

“Hey, what’s in that healthcare bill?”

“Shut up, that’s what’s in it.”

fogw on January 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM

AnninCA on January 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I’m a real person in need of real help. Why should I force the government to make you help me?

You {deleted} altruists moochers make me sick.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Remember, our Founders were dreamers too :)

Keep the Faith!

lukespapa on January 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM

I have given to him twice so far and I think I have convinced some others as well, at least that is what they said. We need to fight in every arena available, period.

bluemarlin on January 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM

BTW, is the global warming affecting your state too?

lukespapa on January 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Oh, yes. Gonna be -20 actual temp tonight. A talking head from ABC came here to report for Diane Sawyer’s lamestream evening news about our balmy weather.
So glad my father taught me to pay the gas bill in a timely fashion. responsibility.

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2010 at 9:46 PM

How can this administration have 49% approval?
Seriously…how?

Itchee Dryback on January 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Character, a word you will never associate with Obama.

tarpon on January 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM

If the political class insists on oppressing the American people through policies such as Obamacare, then maybe its time for some class warfare.

MeAlice on January 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Yep, it’s probably over. But we could also be witnessing the destruction of the democrat party. If the republicans know how to take advantage. Who likes those odds?

JeffinOrlando on January 6, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Character, a word you will never associate with Obama.

tarpon on January 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM

More like a caricature, me thinks.

bluemarlin on January 6, 2010 at 9:53 PM

turfmann on January 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM
Turfmann, any word on how the online donation $$ are going for Brown?
farright on January 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM

it’s very interesting and very typical of MA hackery politics.

An excellent overview can be found at legal insurrection blog.

turfmann on January 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM

220…221, whatever it takes.

Bruce in NH on January 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Thank you for the laugh!

massrighty on January 6, 2010 at 10:05 PM

But there are real people who need some real help in this area of life.

AnninCA on January 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM

You have been advised for months on this blog that the real help would be provided in the kind of sensible reform proposals put forth by conservatives.

Since neither the Senate nor the House plans include meaningfull free-market based reforms (that would result in competition, cost-savings, and broader coverage,) no amalgam of these plans will include these, either.

So, this bill will actually do nothing to help the people for whom you voice concern.

massrighty on January 6, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Well, that and an potential upset in Mass (unlikely though it may be).

DaveS on January 6, 2010 at 10:15 PM

It will be her swan song

Taxman on January 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Seriously, Don’t Fear the Reaper?

Why not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rDWqjnW7w

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men
Godzilla!

Awesome, dude. One monster healthcare bill.

dthorny on January 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Go ahead Nancy you liberal knot head . . . pass that socialist healthcare manifesto and let’s watch the country eat itself alive. These liberal fascist Democrats are insane.

rplat on January 6, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Dude, I think it’s over.

And to think I dared to allow myself to have any hope of our “representatives” actually representing the voters wishes.

2010 and 2012 will be a bloodbath for many if not most of those who vote for this disaster… for all the good it will do us.

2010 and 2012 – Repeal platform… or nothing.

Yakko77 on January 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM

But there are real people who need some real help in this area of life.

AnninCA on January 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Even if you’re correct they won’t get it from this socialist healthcare manifesto that’s being shoved down our throats by this government of liberal fascists.

rplat on January 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

rplat on January 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Ann will not hear or get that as she sings the Hallelujah song.

OmahaConservative on January 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Dude, I think it’s over.

You’re right, Allah, you’re right.

Lock and load.

TinMan13 on January 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM

If the republicans know how to take advantage.

JeffinOrlando

Not holding my breath on that.

beachgirlusa on January 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM

This just in. Obama tells house leaders that they will have to drop their opposition to taxes on high end health insurance.
Anybody have the number to SEIU? I don’t think the WH has talked to them lately……
Going to go get the popcorn ready.

JeffinOrlando on January 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM

JDPerren on January 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I hope to God you’re right. (Does the “JD” stand for “Juris Doctor”, by any chance?)

Dopenstrange on January 6, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Sigh.
The only thing I think can give me some hope; it is possible, just possible, that a real tsunami bringing in Repubs could give them the ability to repeal this terrible law.

I know, but I’m a dreamer.

Aquateen Hungerforce on January 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Glad you brought this up. Question: Is this thing really unrepealable by future Congresses? Pages 1019 and 1020 seem to have language that would indicate this, but I am unsure of all the legal-ese, nor was I able to find the “subparagraphs” and “subsections” that are referenced. Anyone?

Dopenstrange on January 6, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Schadenfreude on January 6, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Any person with half a brain need only adjust their number of dependents upwards to counteract this attempt at an under-the-table heist. Sorry Obamabots, this one will hit you hardest because you’ve demonstrated that you don’t have half a brain. Serves you right, fools!

ya2daup on January 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Redstate had the details last week about how the REPUBLICANS – especially Mitch McConnell in the Senate, were telling the public that they had done everything possible to stop the bill and that they were powerless to stop it.

This is a lie worthy of obama. There were simple parliamentary rules that the GOP could have invoked and employed, such as the House and Senate GOP insisting that each 2,000 page bill be read. If just that was done by the GOP who had every right to demand that it be read, it would be tied up right now, and exposed to the public as the horror that it is.

But the GOP have laid down and let the democrats send our country to hell. I don’t blame the democrats for this avalanche of corruption and commie control, because they are just being true to their evil nature. Much like rabid dogs.

No, what’s really offensive is that the “conservatives” who understand the threat and have the power to stop it, instead of standing up with integrity and courage, instead have handed us over to an incredibly ugly future, and lied about it just like the dems do.

tigerlily on January 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM

cannonball on January 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Are there ANY Republicans in the room with the Dems discussing this bill?

cannonball on January 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM

As parents, we can have no joy, knowing that this government is not sufficiently lasting to ensure any thing which we may bequeath to posterity: And by a plain method of argument, as we are running the next generation into debt, we ought to do the work of it, otherwise we use them meanly and pitifully. In order to discover the line of our duty rightly, we should take our children in our hand, and fix our station a few years farther into life; that eminence will present a prospect which a few present fears and prejudices conceal from our sight. – Thomas Paine, ‘Common Sense’

j_galt on January 7, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Oh no.

This is just the beginning.

Skywise on January 7, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Let the Dems pass this piece of crap ALONE. Then hang it around their necks!

GarandFan on January 7, 2010 at 12:12 AM

“Didn’t they try to read the bill already, and didn’t it get skipped over in some sort of shocking display of protocol abuse that was covered here a couple of weeks ago?”

cannonball on January 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM

That happened with an amendment to the bill, not the actual bill.

Meremortal on January 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM

AnninCA on January 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM

The TAX side kicks in now, 2010. The help side, LOL, doesn’t kick in until 2014. Hows that going to work for those in need NOW? You are clueless AnninCA.

chemman on January 7, 2010 at 12:20 AM

No, what’s really offensive is that the “conservatives” little statists who claimed to understand the threat and have the power to stop it, instead of standing up with integrity and courage, instead have reverted to form and handed us over to an incredibly ugly future, and lied about it just like the dems do.

tigerlily on January 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM

FIFY:

chemman on January 7, 2010 at 12:26 AM

chemman on January 7, 2010 at 12:26 AM

you can edit me anytime…

tigerlily on January 7, 2010 at 12:32 AM

I WILL NEVER OBEY
I WILL NOT BOW DOWN TO THE FALSE GOD called obama
I WILL NOT REPORT MY INCOME

Heck i might just get a cabinet post..

No you cannot force me to buy your communist obama-nazi-care.

I dont care
Go ahead BITCH
MAKE MY DAY..

Try to Jail me..
Try to arrest me..

See what happens..

veteranoutrage on January 7, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Go ahead you nazi PIGS..
Go ahead and try to force me to buy your commie CRAP
Make my friggin DAY..

I will not obey
I will not pay
I will not bow down

SCREW pelosi
SCREW OBAMA
SCREW the DEMOCRATS

Go ahead
Try it..

veteranoutrage on January 7, 2010 at 12:43 AM

AP,

The Democrat Leadership in the House is claiming that they’re going to “ping pong” the health care bill. Fine.

Why do you believe they have the votes to do it? Has Stupak said he’ll vote for the Senate Bill? How about the other supposedly pro-life Democrats in the House?

Sweat when the house actually passes something that looks like the Senate bill.

Greg Q on January 7, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Question: how many hotair regulars are willing to defy any mandate to purchase insurance?

2) How many would be willing to participate in some sort of tax revolt if this crap sandwich passes?

I need to know, becuase if this unaffordable, unwanted, socialist mess passes, the time will be right for increased action against our corrupt and out-of-control liberal government.

I’m as serious as a heart attack.

moonbat monitor on January 7, 2010 at 6:51 AM

From what everyone says, it looks like it will pass but what is it that will actually make Stupak and company actually vote for the final bill?

Not to mention, the other differences. Maybe I’m being too optimistic but I really think the Dems are further from a final agreement than anyone is leading us to believe.

Having said that, even if this thing does pass, I think the Dems have sealed their fate including Obama. The American people are pissed.

I think Americans have learned and are learning that elections have consequences.

gatorfanatic on January 7, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Let the Dems pass this piece of crap ALONE. Then hang it around their necks!

GarandFan on January 7, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Instead of hanging it around their necks, how about we settle for hanging them from the streetlights along Pennsylvania Ave???

doriangrey on January 7, 2010 at 7:40 AM

I’m as serious as a heart attack.

moonbat monitor on January 7, 2010 at 6:51 AM

This is just a little too public a place for that question, unless you happen to be Janet Napolitano and you are making a list of doors to break down.

doriangrey on January 7, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Let the Dems pass this piece of crap ALONE. Then hang it around their necks!

GarandFan on January 7, 2010 at 12:12 AM

doriangrey on January 7, 2010 at 7:40 AM

I understand your frustration and believe me, I share it with you but we really need to be careful and avoid such talk.

Yakko77 on January 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Notice the only thing mentioned daily is “Raise taxes on individuals earning over $500,000 per year”

I’M POSITIVE that this is the talking point that scored best, and now the Lame Stream Media always uses it.

What about the 1,000 other taxes, fees, mandates, increases?

Jesus H

marklmail on January 7, 2010 at 7:49 AM

But there are real people who need some real help in this area of life.

AnninCA on January 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM

If govt weren’t taking half of our national income, there would be a lot of money available to help these people.

If govt weren’t doing everything in it’s power to make health care more expensive, maybe they wouldn’t be needing help in the first place.

MarkTheGreat on January 7, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Dopenstrange on January 6, 2010 at 11:25 PM

The SC has ruled several times that one congress cannot place limits on future congresses. The language requiring super majorities to change this bill will be ruled unenforceable.

MarkTheGreat on January 7, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Nancy is becoming(has become)a kind of Cruella DeVille or the Wicked Witch of the West or one of those evil crones in the fairly tales doling out poisoned apples. Now does she like this or does she not know?

jeanie on January 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM

OK. Who got what and how much?

jeanie on January 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Nancy Pelosi — Christian Spokesperson

georgealbert on January 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Greg Abbott Attorney General of Texas is sitting dead on ready to tie this thing up in court for years!

He has identified 5 points at least that are unconstitutional in the bills. Starting with Nelson’s deal. He states that if these things are not taken out he will file suit to protect the interest of Texans. And he further states that if there are things for which he as attorney general does not have standing to bring rest assured he has citizens at the ready to file suit which he will back up. Of course the individual mandate is another potentially unconstitutional item he states.

He says that the state of Texas will persue these things all the way to the supreme court so this boondoggle will be tied up in court for years even if they do happen to pass some sort of crap they call health care reform.

patriotparty1 on January 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM