Breaking: Michael Yon arrested at Seattle airport

posted at 1:22 pm on January 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Thank goodness our Homeland Security people are on the job after the EunuchBomber botched attack on Christmas Day.  We certainly don’t want to have independent war correspondents passing through our airports without revealing their annual income:

Got arrested at the Seattle airport for refusing to say how much money I make. (The uniformed ones say I was not “arrested”, but they definitely handcuffed me.) Their videos and audios should show that I was polite, but simply refused questions that had nothing to do with national security. Port authority police eventually came — they were professionals — and rescued me from the border bullies.

When they handcuffed me, I said that no country has ever treated me so badly. Not China. Not Vietnam. Not Afghanistan. Definitely not Singapore or India or Nepal or Germany, not Brunei, not Indonesia, or Malaysia, or Kuwait or Qatar or United Arab Emirates. No county has treated me with the disrespect can that can be expected from our border bullies.

Jazz Shaw wonders what the hell is going on:

Very strange. Even if you’re into profiling, Yon would hardly fit one you’d be interested in. Of course, his passport, by now, doubtless has a list of countries stamped into it which could give an inspector pause, but that’s no excuse. Very, very strange. I expect this one will be high profile enough that you’ll see an apology coming from the government.

Unless there is more to this story, an apology would be the least owed to Yon.  When an American citizen with a valid passport presents himself for travel, there should be some reasonable screening to verify identity and to determine whether there is a physical risk, ie, weapons and the like.  Why should border security be interested in Yon’s annual income?  How does that relate to national security and border protection?  Unless this is an arm of the Internal Revenue Service, it doesn’t, and Yon was right to refuse to answer the question.

Instead of hassling American citizens about their income or watching the ice melt, how about paying attention to actual security and intelligence issues?  Please?

Update: Media Matters wants to quibble over the use of the word “arrested,” but when the cops slap handcuffs on you and detain you, you’ve been arrested, both literally (as in “motion stopped”) and practically.  Yon didn’t get booked, or charged with any offense, as Yon himself notes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

Since you all have apparently confused yourselves through illogical obfuscation, let me sum up…

DaveS on January 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM

and with this post DaveS has crossed fully into the Troll Zone….

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 7:07 PM

ALLOWABLE TSA security questions to ask include:

How much do you REALLY weigh?
Straight, gay, or fetish?
Did you vote for The One?
The Constitution: Fundamental flaw or fundamental law?
Your papers, Please?

It’s an Obamanation out there.

Roy Rogers on January 5, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I’ve only read the comments on this page, but what a bunch of silliness. None of you have enough information to make a proper judgement about this incident.

You are behaving like Obama with his “acted stupidly” remark during the police versus Gates matter. You are taking positions without knowing enough to defend said positions. It’s OK for you to do so, of course. It’s also alright for me to point out why you shouldn’t.

All that said, I may be arrested the next time I travel overseas, since I won’t answer questions I deem inappropriate either.

Meremortal on January 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Jazz,

Westerners have become terrorists… as you know.

Ed,

“Their videos and audios should show that I was polite, but simply refused questions that had nothing to do with national security.” Obviously there was MORE than just the question about his income, not that I am giving the border bullies a complete pass, but Yon is saying there is more to this than just the income question.

This story just doesn’t add up as it stands.

Danzo on January 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Having traveled in the old Soviet Union, most of the Middle East, and some of the ‘worst’ parts of Africa… I can honestly say that US Customs and border points are the world’s worst. You really have to kow tow and they can seize anything they like as I found out once when they hassled my mother and I over a coat and camera. We actually lived overseas so it was none of their business but they took both and we were not able to find out what happened to them. Sad to see this tradition is still firmly in place. At a US crossing they can ask you whatever the hell they like.

lexhamfox on January 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM

DaveS: Under a Terry stop, the police can restrain an individual if they have reason to have concern for their safety, and reasonable suspicion that a crime is about to be, is being or has just been committed.

Just what grounds do you think a guy traveling through an airport, having just cleared customs, might have to threaten a TSA goon?

HBowmanMD on January 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Hmmmm.

@ DaveS

1. This isn’t about -Customs-. This is about the -TSA-.

2. Yon is self-employed a circumstance that all independent contractors have to deal with. As self-employed, e.g. working for yourself, you don’t get a paycheck from some giant multi-national corporation. You might get a paycheck from an S-corp or what not.

But it all goes back to the simple question of why the hell was the TSA asking about his income? Not Customs, the TSA.

Now you, amongst others, have been asserting that Yon doesn’t have a “visible means of support”. By that I assume that you mean he doesn’t work for a large corporation and is self-employed. If you don’t mean that then I’d suggest you sit down and precisely outline what you do mean.

And while you’re at it why don’t you specify how the TSA knows that Yon doesn’t have a “visible means of support”!

memomachine on January 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM

WTF?

HornetSting on January 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I’m a dance instructor.

AsianGirlInTights on January 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Best not to elaborate. There are uncouth men here who might take advantage.

Esthier on January 5, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Oh heck, there are couth men here who would take advantage. Maybe more than once.

platypus on January 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Sounds to me like some rent-a-goons mistook acting ‘rude and intrusive’ for acting ‘tough’. Bet they were just using the training they got at SEIU meetings.

starboardhelm on January 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM

who claims to have an unverifiable and fantastical profession.
DaveS on January 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Now you have gone off the rails!!! Yon has certifiable creditials…where are you drawing the conclusion that they are not credible?

You don’t know why he was “arrested” (which he wasn’t). We don’t have the details

I didn’t say he was arrested–I said he was cuffed. How much clearer does he have to get–

“Got arrested at the Seattle airport for refusing to say how much money I make”

You have already stated that the TSA was out of order–what are you doing–argueing with yourself?
Illogical obfuscation–indeed…

lovingmyUSA on January 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Hmmmm.

@ DaveS

“Have you ever told them that you were entering the country with lots of high-tech gadgetry–coming from 2 active war zones and Jihadi hotspots–because you were an independent war correspondent? Probably not.”

Because you can’t buy “high-tech gadgetry” at BestBuy.

You are serious descending from irrelevance into insanity.

memomachine on January 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I’ll tell you exactly how much I make:
$f1cky.oo

TheSitRep on January 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM

You are taking positions without knowing enough to defend said positions.
Meremortal on January 5, 2010 at 7:10

Don’t come in at the end of a discussion and pretend to be all-knowing. You don’t know enough, basing your opinion on this page of comments…Read the comments and then make an INFORMED opinion–not come in and speak out your a$$..

lovingmyUSA on January 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Hmmmm.

@ DaveS

Frankly I’m rather amused that you’re desperately hanging everything on behavioral profiling.

The average TSA employee is expert on -behavioral profiling-?

Really?

Because using behavioral profiling on an American citizen returning to the USA by low-wage employees with the TSA is … what?

And that whole “hesitation” thing. So you’re suggesting that if someone doesn’t answer ridiculous questions in a quick and snappy way the TSA employees will … what?

memomachine on January 5, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Lucky he’s not Muslim.

Grow Fins on January 5, 2010 at 1:42 PM

He’d be luckier if he was, he would get through without any one even pretending to notice!

cableguy615 on January 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I’m a dance instructor.

AsianGirlInTights on January 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Heh! I had a feeling, judging by screen name!

cableguy615 on January 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM

OK, I just have to say it. That picture that HotAir uses for this man, zowie, HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on January 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Thoght this might be a good place for this:

Sarah Palin: It’s War, not a Crime Spree

“Now he must back off his reckless plan to close Guantanamo, begin treating terrorists as wartime enemies not suspects alleged to have committed crimes, and recognize that the real nature of the terrorist threat requires a commander-in-chief, not a constitutional law professor.

___Sarah Palin

BOOM, taste my nightstick!

gary4205 on January 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Under this administration? I’m not the least bit surprised.

The “rich” are more dangerous than the terrorist, doncha know?/sarc

Lady Heather on January 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM

karenhasfreedom on January 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Yep, my kind of alpha male!

lovingmyUSA on January 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Hmmmm.

A little more on this episode over at BigGovernment.com if anyone is interested.

memomachine on January 5, 2010 at 8:13 PM

memomachine on January 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I mean “self-employed”, as in, ‘no you can’t check with my HR department’. It isn’t “visible” because he won’t declare it.

Chris_Balsz on January 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I used to wonder how the hell people along the Atlantic coast could refuse to shut off the lights when the Uboats were drowning American sailors a few miles away. Now I know.

Chris_Balsz on January 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM

In Obamerica income matters. Terrorist affiliations, not so much.

TheBigOldDog on January 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Remember a few months ago the story here of the preacher stopped at a boarder patrol road block well inside the interior of the country? Remember how as an America citizen he refused to answer intrusive questions? Remember how they smashed in his windows and cut up his face by making him lay in the broken glass on the pavement (iirc)? Makes you think doesn’t it now.

TheBigOldDog on January 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM

God Bless Michael Yon.

I have been teaching my son about WOT using Yon’s photo-journalism as a teaching aid. I really admire his ability to sniff out a good story. He has some of the most interesting enterprise pieces out of WOT coverage. He is a fine journalist bucking the tired, biased framework which has plagued journalism and the newspaper industry.

I think it sucks that he was targeted for profiling. But I am ready to accept such frustrating inconveniences as a result of living under the threat of terrorism aimed at Americans.

If Michael Yon was named Habib Muhammad would anybody give two rips about his feelings or his rights?

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

They’d be hollering that he walked the same day before his file was run past Interpol, Scotland Yard and Mossad.

Chris_Balsz on January 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM

He was inside his house.

People get arrested in their house/home all the time.
Its one of the most common places where people get arrested.
Watch MSNBC on the weekend, they got lots of cop shows. Drugs, alcohol, domestic abuse, people get arrested all the time in their own house.

Your argument that cuz someone is in their house they cannot get arrested is just stupid.

DSchoen on January 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM

The “rich” are more dangerous than the terrorist, doncha know?/sarc

Lady Heather on January 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM

The average lib considers 100k/year as rich. That’s going to be a long no-fly list.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Makes you think doesn’t it now.

TheBigOldDog on January 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Nope…It’s coming to a MV safetycheckpoint in your neighorhood soon enough…

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Have you actually READ the comments?? There are comments by people like me who have traveled to all manner of terrorist hot zones and war zones. Who know what it’s like to go through actual security by people smarter than a rock.

I can definitely make a judgement about what happened and how it happened because I’ve been through all manner of country and security. I can only conclude that you haven’t.

mjk on January 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Nope…It’s coming to a MV safetycheckpoint in your neighorhood soon enough…

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Here in Kalifornia they now conduct ‘random’ Vehicle smog checkpoint. Dynamometer and everything. They need money bad and will take at the point of a gun (yes, an ARMED CHP officer was pulling cars out of traffic).

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 8:42 PM

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

No, what’s the point?

right2bright on January 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

If his name was Habib Muhammed and he didn’t have a passport and had 2 lbs of bomb shoved up his ass, I can guarantee I wouldn’t give a flying f*ck about his feelings or rights.

This is a non-sequitor. It isn’t about him being white (although it appears it is to you). It’s about a vastly inappropriate question asked by a TSA screener who is probably too stupid to work at Burger King to a man who had every right to tell him that it wasn’t appropriate.

mjk on January 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I like him a lot; he looks a lot like our dear actor Gary Sinise. Got stumped there when I read the headline. Unbelievable!

When I travel I carry enough docs with me to prove my own existence, and my family’s. Gee, TurboTax too? :eyeroll: Whatinthefriggin’ heck is going on here????

ProudPalinFan on January 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I got hassled because I was chewing on a stick of cinnamon the last time I went through the airport.

“What’s that in your mouth?!”
“Cinnamon.”
“Are you eating it?”
“Just chewing on it.”
“Is it a food item.”
“It’s bark.”
“What are you doing with it?”
“Chewing on it.”

Long pause. I could tell he was thinking of SOME reason to make me spit it out. I finally just walked through. Sheesh.

Sarjex on January 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM

mjk on January 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM

And the vast majority of our TSA do not stand up when compared to real security officers. I received better and more thorough, and POLITE, screening when in Mexico, passing through their many checkpoints. And these are military with maybe high school education equivalent.
I think our “high school” graduates, that work at these govt. jobs maybe are equivalent to 4th or 5th grade in most other countries.
If you asked them, how much change would I receive from one dollar if I have you 16 cents…they would stare at you….

right2bright on January 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Sarjex on January 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Classic…

right2bright on January 5, 2010 at 8:49 PM

If only he’d have paid cash for his one way ticket and flow without luggage, THEN he’d ‘ve been fine.

Mojave Mark on January 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM

fighton03,

A brother of mine says it’s insane out there…I feel for all of you…
Fear… that it’s more than money.
i hope i’m wrong.

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Sarjex on January 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Reminds me of playground monitors in grade school.

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM

lovingmyUSA on January 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM

What you said!

Yoop on January 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM

It’s bad here, but not as bad as michigan. I own a small business (until the 25th of this month, CARB/AQMD have put me out of business) that sells parts for big rig trucks. A couple of customers are in michigan. Well I just got a notice from the state of michigan that I may be subject to michigan income tax on the revenue earned from those customers.

It’s a long convoluted read, but basically it sounds like if anyone from out of state physically went to michigan for 1 day or more to do business you’re toast. Lucky for me I used UPS….I think….

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

So, smarter people than me, what did JOAN RIVERS do that made her miss her flight??

You know I find a threat to national security?
1. Michael Yon
2. Joan freaking Rivers

mjk on January 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM

You can keep this piece trash home.

He wants to contravene Canadian OPSEC in Afghanistan so he get a “story” out?

Screw him!

Jim708 on January 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Fighton03,
Do you know was that done legislatively or ….?

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

F#$kin Seattle no surprise there! Bunch of effin liberals. Sue there ass!!

build the wall on January 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I’m not sure, the info packet cited a court ruling about about what constituted business nexus (i suppose that refers to physical interaction). I read through the basic material and it looked like my business will not hit the minimum dollar level to make it worth it to them to extort the money from me and honestly, reading it made me want to throw up in my mouth.

I get the feeling it was primarily designed to tax businesses that fled across the border but still shipped to people in the state.

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM

mjk on January 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM

If you’re complaining about the intelligence of TSA screeners, fine. I’ve been detained delayed by all types of idiots, some with badges, some with clipboards. But that’s not relevant to this discussion.

My view is simple. Treat all passengers equally, regardless of the delays, regardless of hurt feelings.

I’m glad for Yon’s work. But my appreciation for his professional success is unimportant. If questions about income are used during profiling…so be it. Flying is going to get more difficult and time consuming for everybody.

***
I don’t care if he’s white. I did not mention race, you did. Race is irrelevant in this discussion. Bring it up again only to address your own issues.

Effyou and your suggestion that I’m bothered by his race.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Effyou and your suggestion that I’m bothered by his race.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

How does that work? You must hate your whole family.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Effyou and your suggestion that I’m bothered by his race.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

You brought up someone named Mohammed, buttercup, inferring that a man who is of a different color would be treated differently by the TSA and we wouldn’t care.

Keep your argument straight.

Oh and swearing at me, totally wins the argument. God you’re s-m-r-t.

mjk on January 5, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM

This looks like just another attempt for states to tax across state lines .
They’ve been trying to do it with sales tax…internet and so on for years…
It’ll be interesting to see where it goes

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM

This looks like just another attempt for states to tax across state lines .
They’ve been trying to do it with sales tax…internet and so on for years…
It’ll be interesting to see where it goes

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. I think I’ll wait for them to enforce it and see how it goes.

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM

insert “yea you’re right” at the begining…

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Let it be known…

jerrytbg on January 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

There are some tools here who wouldn’t care, but I think there are a greater number who would, provided he wasn’t doing anything that would suggest an immediate threat.

The complaint isn’t about him being stopped and searched, its about him being handcuffed after refusing to answer questions that the TSA has no right or business asking about, and that have nothing to do with the safety of anyone at the airport or the passengers.

RINO in Name Only on January 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM

He’s always looked suspicious to me.

tlynch001 on January 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Yeah, that’s really funny, considering liberal scumbags basically said the military and domestic security forces were all untrustworthy, uneducated, corrupt thuggish stormtroopers, under the Bush Administration, and they’ve that little prison incident to prove it (nevermind the fact that everyone involved was tracked own and either imprisoned, busted, dishonorably discharged, or all of the above). When liberal political hack yellow journalists are asked about national security leaks, here comes the Fourth Reich. Here come the FEMA dress rehersals for erecting pre-fab internment camps.

Let people actually behave like that under Obama’s inept ministrations (especially to someone that is ostensibly Conservative, pro War on Terror, and a Special Forces vet), and its like it never happened. The Liberal Entertainment Complex will say they’ve never heard of him nor seen his work, and that it must’ve been his fault, anyway. Maybe the DHS has him flagged as one of us ‘disgruntled vets’. They’re already out to discredit and run him out of town on a rail with their plans to mess with the shield law.

Virus-X on January 5, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Never attribute to malice what can be more easily explained….

Screw that. This is purposeful.

spmat on January 5, 2010 at 10:05 PM

This might sound a little out of place and I know a bit conspiratorial but Michael Yon has been telling it like it is over in Iraq (at least as far as the right is concerned) and it wouldn’t surprise me if he hasn’t ticked off a lib or two along the way. Maybe even the Prez. Amazingly, all of this happens just after the underwear bomber incident and it gives the President reason to mess with people’s lives, especilly knowing the MSM would never report it. I know, very conspiratorial. But it was something that occured to me while reading the blog. Sorry.

ranzofola on January 5, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Instead of hassling American citizens about their income or watching the ice melt, how about paying attention to actual security and intelligence issues? Please?

You’re asking a lot Ed.

You should know by now that this Admin. is at war against many things but external threats are not exactly high on the priority list but domestic dissenters certainly are. Yon, being an avid supporter of our troops if not always the manner in which our troops are being ordered to carry out their mission is certainly suspect for that alone methinks.

Yakko77 on January 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM

FYI from Wikipedia:

The border search exception is a doctrine of United States criminal law that exempts searches of travelers and their property from the Fourth Amendment warrant requirement.

The United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP), a division of the United States Department of Homeland Security, is permitted to search travelers and their belongings at the American border without probable cause or a warrant. These searches are therefore exempted from the Fourth Amendment warrant requirement. Pursuant to this authority, CBP may generally stop and search the property of any traveler entering or exiting the United States at random, or even based largely on ethnic profiles.[1] However, CBP may only conduct searches of the traveler’s body — including strip, body cavity, involuntary x-ray, and in some jurisdictions, pat-down searches — if the Customs officer has reasonable suspicion to believe the traveler is concealing contraband.[2]

Although border-searches are exempted from the Fourth Amendment warrant requirement, they are still subject to the amendment’s reasonableness requirement.[3] Whether a border search is reasonable depends on a judicial analysis that balances the intrusion into an individual’s legitimate privacy and dignity interests against the government’s legitimate interest in the subject of the search.[4] In reviewing the reasonableness of border-searches under the Fourth Amendment, many courts have distinguished between “routine” and “nonroutine” searches.[5] CBP may conduct “routine” searches without any level of suspicion, while “nonroutine” searches must be supported by “reasonable suspicion”.[6] Under this analysis, searches of a traveler’s property, including luggage, briefcases, wallets, and other containers are “routine,” while searches of a traveler’s body, including strip, body cavity and involuntary x-ray searches, are considered “nonroutine.”[7]

Jimbo3 on January 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM

This happened in Seattle…what’s to question? It’s practically Canada now. And by the way, when is Canada going to invade and take Detroit. Please, please take Detroit.

Bruce Hendrix on January 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM

There is to much incompetence from the top all the way through to the bottom of the Obama administration for this to happen.

The Obama administration is loaded with liberal ideologues,socialist,and pay to play friends that have little to no experience in the jobs they hold.

Failure,gaffes,ignorance,bad decisions,lies,and excuses will be the norm for the next 3 years because the people in charge just don’t know what they are doing.

Obama is to arrogant and self-conscious to let anyone smarter or more experienced than him in a place of power and risk being shown up.

So that sets the bar pretty low concerning who is allowed to advise him or help make policy decisions.

This incident with Yon is more than just stupid and rude,it makes you wonder if there might be more than just a “terrorist” watch list.

I am sure the last thing Obama is going to want is the truth coming out of Afghanistan over the next 3 years so Yon,Bill Roggio,and Micheal Totten better watch their backs.

Baxter Greene on January 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Yon is outside of the box, as in outside of the constraints of “the powers that be” at mainstream media outlets. He is unafraid to criticize political and military decisions and discuss the ramifications of the things he has seen firsthand.

It makes one wonder if there isn’t a Nixonesque enemies list somewhere in the possession of Ojesus or one of his minions.

hillbillyjim on January 5, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Jimbo3 on January 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Uh, this was not a search… it was a Free Speech situation, which TSA is NOT exempted from as far as I know.

Romeo13 on January 5, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Something so powerful, yet so stupid, as the Americans’ “federal” government seems likely to come to a very bad end. I control my fear of its foreseeable destruction, as best I can, by reminding myself over and over again what an interesting spectacle that destruction seems likely to be and how satisfying it will be to observe the faithful, as their awareness of their ignorant trust dawns on them.

Kralizec on January 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM

And even if his income is appropriate fodder for interrogation by the Too Slow for Arbys goons, how would they know if his answer was correct? Do they have a link to IRS databases?

The TSA goon needs to be fired so he can collect his unemployment….clearly all he’s qualified for

HBowmanMD on January 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM

@ Bruce Hendrix

Canadians are socialists, eh? Not idiots…. And this coming August, when the proles in Detroit have had enough of the Zero’s failure to deliver on promises, they’re going to riot – making 1965 look like a girl scout campout. Which will spill over to Windsor, ON

HBowmanMD on January 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Keep your argument straight.

Oh and swearing at me, totally wins the argument. God you’re s-m-r-t.

mjk on January 5, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Liar. I did not mention race. And you might brush up on your English vocabulary. You have no clue what “infer” means or you just prefer to appear ignorant of said definition.

As far as me swearing, I’ve made thousands of vulgarity-free comments here at HA. I could care less if you want to use this aberration as an excuse to ignore the obvious points of my argument.

Fallibility suits you well.

RINO in Name Only on January 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Thank you for making my point. The TSA can do whatever they want since flying is a privilege and not a right. I will be glad when we all have to submit to such queries every time we fly.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I have had an issue with these “airport security” folks as well in the past. I was getting on a domestic flight in uniform (military) and they made me empty out an entire piece of luggage because I had an iPod in my bag and the XRAY people couldn’t figure out what it was. Then they took my toothpaste because it was more than 3.5 oz. For some reason I can carry a book of matches or a butane lighter on a plane but 3.6 oz of colgate is far more dangerous than 3.5 oz.

In September of 2005, I was on one my way to one of my all inclusive government vacations in southwest Asia. We stopped in Baltimore before the hop over the pond and my friends and I got off the plane to go have a cigarette. We left all of our bags and gear (including m16s, m249s, m203s) on the plane. One of my friends, we will call him Phil, got off the plane forgetting that he had an empty m16 magazine in his pocket. We didn’t think it would be much of a problem boarding the plane again as the only people in the Baltimore airport on this weekday night were about 160 soldiers in uniform but boy were we wrong. I would have loved to caught the security lady’s face on camera when he pulled the magazine out of his pocket to put it through the XRAY machine. I’m pretty sure she stained her drawers. She confiscated it immediately and said she had to report it to her supervisor which only made us laugh even more. He told her she can keep it because he had about a dozen more next to his 40 millimeter grenade launcher already on the plane. By this time I’m pretty sure she had a tingle in her left arm while I had a warm sensation running down my leg (due to laughter of course).

It was a bit of a hassle getting through that security checkpoint but was probably the funniest thing I have ever witnessed in an airport.

Eprider on January 5, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I thought that was the meaning of “due process” and “equality before the law”. I thought that separated the Right from the Left.

***

Effyou and your suggestion that I’m bothered by his race.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Speaking as a white man, I reject utterly the notion that I must trust a white man because he is white.

This is what a Japanese spy looks like

The FBI’s interest in Mrs. Dickinson stemmed from a letter about dolls intercepted by wartime censors because of its unusual contents and brought to the Bureau’s attention in February, 1942. The letter, purportedly from a Portland, Oregon, woman to an individual in Buenos Aires, Argentina, dealt with a “wonderful doll hospital” and observed that the writer had left her three “Old English dolls” for repairs. Also mentioned in the letter were “fish nets” and “balloons.”

If you guys were running US security in WW2 we’d be speaking German.

Cat Stevens still has a US passport, I guess we gotta let him back in anytime he wants without a beef? Nobody has a right to cross the US border in wartime without explaining themselves.

One day innocent people will be killed by an AQ terrorist who doesn’t fit your cookie cutter, simply because they “looked like us”.

Chris_Balsz on January 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM

@Chris_Balsz

He does? I thought he was British.

HBowmanMD on January 6, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Yon’s had a hard-on for the security screeners since his Asian girlfriend was detained, questioned, and asked to provide her password to read her email. Can’t blame the guy for digging in when he felt abused too.

Problem is that USA/TSA just went through a close call at Detroit — naturally the security types will be edgy, and prone to overreact. Sometimes I think Yon is his own worst enemy.

Still, maybe Joan Rivers and Yon’s handcuffing will call more attention to the Lying TSA Director(Obama appointee), and the other lower eschelon types who are seeking job protection via Unionization.

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on January 6, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Thanks for letting us know that his girlfriend is Asian. I was wondering about that.

The Race Card on January 6, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Why do they need her email password? Since when are they looking at computers more than just to turn them on to prove they work? No wonder I drive everywhere now and avoid flying overseas. Geesh.

karenhasfreedom on January 6, 2010 at 2:33 AM

karenhasfreedom on January 6, 2010 at 2:33 AM

You really avoid flying overseas because you don’t like screening procedures? Weirdo.

If you were serious, if you had the opportunity or means to travel abroad, I doubt that such trivial considerations would matter.

How many email addresses do you have? You should have one with a limited profile of you that is just used for third-party crap including TSA.

The Race Card on January 6, 2010 at 2:58 AM

American Power tracked-back with, ‘Michael Yon: ‘No Country Has Ever Treated Me So Badly’.

Donald Douglas on January 6, 2010 at 3:27 AM

I am sure this has already been mentioned but considering that Mr. Yon is paid by the good will of readers and the publications that pick up his articles and photos, determining his income can’t be very easy. It’s still none of their business.

Cindy Munford on January 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Chris_Balsz on January 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM

THIS.

AQ may be fanatics, but they’re not stupid.

Donald Douglas on January 6, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Yon can track-back his rump roast on the next plane home with a one-way ticket.

Dark-Star on January 6, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Fighton03 on January 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Did they learn this scam from New York? That’s why Rush won’t set foot in the state anymore. The minute he does, the tax meter starts running at warp speed.

Extrafishy on January 6, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Jimbo3 on January 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Romeo13 on January 5, 2010 at 10:46 PM

–TSA is part of the Department of Homeland Security. But I do think after doing some research that the TSA seems to be limited in its authority, in this case, to just identifying/eliminating security threats by investigating/screening passengers, luggage and cargo.

Jimbo3 on January 6, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Put the blame on THIS COUNTRY AND ITS TSA!

BobAnthony on January 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Chris_Balsz on January 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Sure, you’re not at all engaging in insulting hyperbole. This is a winning argument.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

First off, I think it’s obvious to you why people think you brought race into this discussion.

Even Chris seems to believe you did:

Chris_Balsz on January 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM

And it is completely insulting to be suggesting that people who object to what happened here are racists who think white people should get a pass on screening.

I’m not saying you intended this, Race, but it’s not as though the accusation came out of thin air, and it’s not as though other people aren’t making this point.

That said, if Michael were Habib but otherwise completely the same person, I’d still be bothered by this. We haven’t given the TSA unlimited authority and nor do I believe we should.

I’ve said before that I don’t have a problem with the question being asked, assuming the interviewer is simply checking behavior and looking for a reaction, but I don’t believe it’s acceptable to detain someone for refusing to answer the question when it does nothing to address the question of whether or not an American citizen should be allowed back into the country.

I will be glad when we all have to submit to such queries every time we fly.

The Race Card on January 5, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Except he wasn’t asked this when he was trying to fly. He was asked this after he was already back on the ground, back in America, trying to leave the airport. How is that supposed to make us safe?

And for that matter what does asking the question even before we get on a plane have to do with making sure we’re safe? Before we do this, “everyone must be miserable on planes or else we’ll all die,” why can’t we just try common sense things that were completely ignored that day? What about not letting people on a plane without a passport, or not letting on people on terrorist watch lists without some serious pre-screening, or not letting people pay for tickets in cash (or anything that can’t be used to identify them later, like a gift card), or not letting people on with just a one way ticket?

Or maybe we could just take the new security measures into further advisement, seeing if we can trust TSA to do the obvious things first before deciding it’s OK to treat everyone as a potential terrorist.

I just went on a trip. On the way there, my mother had to open up her luggage and have everything rechecked. On the way back, I somehow set of a metal detector even though I’d never set one off before. I even set it off twice, because I got turned around and had to go through it a second time. Both times I had to be patted down. And I support all of this and even said so at the time.

But forgive me if I’m beyond sick of our reactionary security screening procedures when I’ve seen time and time again that they don’t work. Forgive me for just wanting something that works instead of something that treats me like a criminal.

If that’s our only solution, we will eventually see people decide flying isn’t worth it, and we’ll again see another influx of cash to the industry to keep it alive. But does anyone believe that will mean the airlines will finally be safe? They only need to “win” once.

Esthier on January 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Put the blame on THIS COUNTRY AND ITS TSA!

BobAnthony on January 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Prison Planet? No, thanks, really.

Esthier on January 6, 2010 at 12:12 PM