NPR ‘toon: “Learn to speak teabag”

posted at 8:26 pm on January 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, who wants you to see what your tax dollars are being used for. Ironically, NPR’s reputation for liberal bias means that I don’t listen, which leaves me unqualified to say just how biased this is. Are there token conservatives there to “balance” stuff like this? Or do people like Fiore, who skews sufficiently left to have had his stuff featured in the Village Voice, have the run of the place? This toon’s from November, incidentally; his latest one, published on New Year’s Eve, attacks Obama for … not being liberal enough. So there’s your balance, I guess.

In fairness, this isn’t the worst use of my tax dollars that I’ve seen today. Exit question: After the past eight years, should leftists really be so quick to mock people for tossing around the word “Nazi” lightly? Click the image to watch.

teabag

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

kagai on January 4, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Thank you for that!

massrighty on January 4, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Comment to the Ombudsman:

The next time someone representing your organization is about to utter the words “coarsening the debate” or “the politics of personal destruction,” you should take a moment to reflect on what colossal hypocrites you are.

Ironically, I’m about at the point of giving money to ensure no more tax dollars flow to your organization.

I probably should have listed a few other offenses, like Lake Woebepermanent shows describing Republicans as eating babies and murdering poor people (which could be seen as satire except the author expresses the same thoughts in political speeches), continued lies about the Honduras, Israel, and, let’s face it, America in general…

… but then I realized I had to sleep sometime.

Merovign on January 4, 2010 at 10:52 PM

That was disgusting. I’m sure nobody HERE watches or donates to NPR (National People’s Radio).

Mojave Mark on January 4, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Outrageous Outrage of the Day!:
Lefty cartoonist mocks the teaparty’s ill-informed, knee-jerk name calling. NPR reposts. Two months later, HA readers explode in anger. Clear evidence NPR is a socialist tool of the government? or clear evidence Fiore was on the money?
Keep up the good work kids.

hippiepunk on January 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Isn’t the point that we all donate to NPR with our taxes?

kagai on January 4, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Isn’t the point that we all donate to NPR with our taxes?

kagai on January 4, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Yes! Damn shame that it is.

bluemarlin on January 4, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Mojave Mark on January 4, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Just me.

But, that was lame beyond words.

Didn’t hear this on the radio, though. Are we sure he’s actually getting cash from NPR? Or is he just getting picked up or linked to.

Bleeds Blue on January 4, 2010 at 11:08 PM

This is NPR without the smooth smarmy tone.

darii on January 4, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Bleeds Blue on January 4, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Doesn’t matter. NPR’s propagating it.

ddrintn on January 4, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Bleeds Blue on January 4, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Even that is objectionable. Those who try to struggle to defend NPR as “non-partisan” will have a hard time explaining this away. Even if it’s not funded by NPR, it was featured.

During college I used to listen to NPR regularly. They don’t have “balance.”

darii on January 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Lefty cartoonist mocks the teaparty’s ill-informed, knee-jerk name calling.

hippiepunk on January 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM

By calling them “teabaggers”. Talk about ill-informed. And nah, there’s no explosion of anger. We know what to expect from NPR, which is why they have to be subsidized. Ill-informed O-bots would never send in enough of their allowances to help keep it afloat.

ddrintn on January 4, 2010 at 11:46 PM

During college I used to listen to NPR regularly. They don’t have “balance.”

darii on January 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM

LOL…a “balanced” NPR discussion on health care is one guest who says ObamaCare is juuuuust right and another who says ObamaCare doesn’t go far enough to bring about the reign of social justice. In other words, as someone said above, left and far left.

ddrintn on January 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I had to burp at that one.

Thanks for sharing this NPR flagellation.

HotAirJosef on January 5, 2010 at 12:12 AM

WTF!!! Not tax dollars for NPR!!!

Star20 on January 5, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Feel free to do a little fact checking:

hippiepunk on January 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM

hippiepunk on January 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM

hippiepunk on January 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM

17% is enough for me to be upset.

darii on January 5, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Lessons in Tea Bag for D-Bags.

Steve Z on January 5, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Feel free to do a little fact checking:

hippiepunk on January 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM

On average, public radio stations (including NPR Member stations) receive the largest percentage of their annual operating revenue (31%) from listener support. For FY07, the most recent data available, the average station’s revenues came from the following sources:

31% from listeners in the form of pledges, memberships, and other donations
20% from businesses via corporate underwriting
11% from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), which is federally funded* 10% from licensee support
9% from foundations and major gifts
5% from local and state governments, and
14% from all other sources.
*A note on CPB funding: There are 434 stations in 47 states and territories (including Guam and Puerto Rico) that specifically serve rural and minority communities; the latter includes numerous African-American, Native American, Latino, and multicultural licensees. In many cases, they are the sole local broadcasting service available. These stations receive significantly higher funding from CPB – in some cases, as much as two-thirds of their budgets – since many of their listeners simply don’t have the financial resources to provide support.

Your point is…what? I still say “NO tax dollars for NPR!”

Star20 on January 5, 2010 at 12:47 AM

NPR- or: How to speak Douche-Bag.

Numbskulls Propagating Retreat.

profitsbeard on January 5, 2010 at 12:50 AM

hippiepunk on January 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Besides, the other issue is NPR’s veneer of “neutrality.” It sure doesn’t seem very neutral to post this crap.

darii on January 5, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Feel free to do a little fact checking:

hippiepunk on January 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM

On fact is that NPR screeches like a banshee when it’s even suggested that government money be cut off.

ddrintn on January 5, 2010 at 12:59 AM

*One

ddrintn on January 5, 2010 at 1:00 AM

And they wonder why so many have no use for NPR.

itzWicks on January 5, 2010 at 1:17 AM

On NPR – Jessie Helms was right.

Caststeel on January 5, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Mojave Mark on January 4, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Sadly we all donate to this BS, liberal, propaganda machine. We donate forcibly through taxes. sigh

IowaWoman on January 5, 2010 at 2:15 AM

National Proletariat Radio is better…though I guess I’m a Prole using the word people sounds like we’re all down with it and that they’re actually doing something good for us.

At least most of the comments were negative concerning this piece…of…

Just a taste of what is to come, my friends. Don’t think that’s it’s going to magically disappear with the elections this fall one way or another.

These people are reaching for the golden ring and they aren’t going to let anyone get in their way. They’ve waited too long for this and the pendulum that folks like to pontificate about over a glass of Bud down at Harry’s is about to get stuck far to the left.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 5, 2010 at 2:26 AM

The next time your local NPR station has a pledge drive, call in to tell them you won’t ever give them a dime. Then call back and say the same thing again and again and again. Tie up their lines to hurt their pledge drive.

I hate to recommend something “Alinsky-esque” but this really ticks me off and no one in government will listen to us about defunding NPR anyway. We’ve got to use other methods.

Django on January 5, 2010 at 5:30 AM

The part that really upset me was the big lie that ONLY Republicans get campaign contributions from Big Pharma.

In 2008 for every $1 the Republicans got from Health Insurance Companies, Big Pharma, etc, the Dems got more than $3. Read the book “Obama-Nomics”

Where’s the mention NPR. Or as I like to call it NPU Radio, that Obama and the DEMS HAVE RECEIVED MILLIONS FROM Big Pharma, the SEIU, and yes even EVIL Insurance Companies since their bill will FORCE US TO BUY THEIR PRODUCTS.

P.S. NPR I am SO SICK of you guys playing JAZZ Music inbetween each and every program. “All things considered, except for the conservative side”

rednebulastudios on January 5, 2010 at 5:46 AM

I love hearing things like this, it’s motivating. I just bought 1000 rounds of 5.56 NATO, thanks NPR!

M-14 2go on January 5, 2010 at 6:28 AM

I stopped even MARGINALLY listening to NPR some ten years ago, after walking into a room at my office where it was on and realizing they were having an ENTIRE afternoon dedicated to the subject of “ANAL CLEANSING”. Right. JUST the toilet MY tax dollars should be flushed down.

That crap, and the endless stories of “importance” involving indigenous peoples of obscure jungle tribes in faraway places I’ll never go to and could give a flying damn about.

bradley11 on January 5, 2010 at 7:05 AM

Just more of the paradigm shift where deficit spending under a Republican President and Congress spelled the doom of the nation but under a Dem President and Congress it is vital for economic recovery.

I stopped listening to NPR during the Clinton perjury scandal. They were so intent on skewing the whole thing to being “about sex” and not lying under oath that they lost all credibility.

highhopes on January 5, 2010 at 7:51 AM

In fairness, this isn’t the worst use of my tax dollars

Why does it have to be the worst? That’s the problem, if it isn’t “dramatic” then we assume it is okay.
It is the constant, the CONSTANT drain that sucks us dry. We all see the big bills, but it is the millions of “little” bills that end up costing us.

right2bright on January 5, 2010 at 8:01 AM

NPR: Notoriously Putrid Rendition.
An active branch of ACORN and Black Panthers in America.
F them.

Cybergeezer on January 5, 2010 at 9:04 AM

How about some tax dollars for Limbaugh as a measure of fairness?

drjohn on January 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Interesting that the bigoted artist that lumps all those that are fed up with Obamoa and the worse Congress in history operates from an “undisclosed” location in San Francisco. It would be very easy to reverse the collective perspective that the artist entertains, and presume that there is much to about “undisclosed locations” in terms of where their brains are, how they spend their weekends at public masturbation festivals (bring the kids), and how they take their tea (other than orally).

So when does NPR come out with the cartoon about San Francisco?

Hening on January 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM

When it comes to healthcare, I say we find a compromise. They say there is nothing to worry about with rationing, it will save us money and the nation money, that no illegals will get coverage, etc. Why not add an explosive chip to the brain of everyone who votes for this bill. If any of the above things do occur, then we set off the chips and the entire bill becomes null and void….

jeffn21 on January 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I sent a post to NPR telling them that whoever approved or authorized this to be on their website should be fired. A government sponsored corporation using its money to put down a good portion of the tax paying population. If this was on the Right, you would never hear the end of it.

mbabbitt on January 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Wasnt the gravest sin the fact that it wasnt a bit funny? I could have taken it if was at least a funny new concept. Alas, just tea bagging slams from nuts.

di butler on January 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Ironically, NPR’s reputation for liberal bias means that I don’t listen

Very open-minded.

Grow Fins on January 5, 2010 at 9:38 AM

NPR is so, so, pseudo graciously elite. How many of you have heard the people who fancy themselves as ‘intellectuals’ say that they never watch TV except, of course, for NPR and it’s latest Jane Austen series or what have you in this genre. Not that there’s anything wrong with these, they are entertaining. I watch them too. But NPR should stick to this sort of programming and stay out of the political arena even in advertising as long as they take public money. I used to give them money, I have not in years and do not plan to.

jeanie on January 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Tax money for a group that got over a billion dollars from the ultra-leftist Jew hater, (McDonalds) Ray Kroc’s widow. Great not only do we give them airwaves for free but we pay part of the cost of this dreck when NPR is sitting on billions of dollars in capital. Tax Revolt

georgealbert on January 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I listen to Radio Lab on NPR which is ostensibly a science program but even that skews left. One host is straight down the line left, the other I’d call traditional but moderate. Even the subject matter they address skews left.

That’s my only experience with NPR.

As for this… meh. Whatever.

Dash on January 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Perhaps those of us(no longer includes me!!)who still give to NPR need to stop, at least until they get the message. And the message should not be whether to lean right or left, just to keep their noses out of partisan politics. Discussing issues is, needs be, tricky. It can be done though by including true balance and presenting compelling arguments on both sides. NPR needs to leave the political leaning to the regular networks.

jeanie on January 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Django on January 5, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Great plan. Notify us when they have their pledge drive. Oh, and don’t forget to let us know where they are on the radio dial.

OmahaConservative on January 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM

The cartoon is hilarious because it’s true.

Norman Blizter on January 4, 2010 at 8:44 PM

..coming from a true teabagging and fisting aficionado.

VoyskaPVO on January 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

M-14 2go on January 5, 2010 at 6:28 AM

..for the second most noble battle rifle created evah!

~M-1 collector.

VoyskaPVO on January 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

This is why I no longer support NPR and CTPR financially during their fund raising drives. I am perplexed by this whole idea because time and again this vernacular was used against the previous administration but the hypocrisy is that there was no such mockery or name calling of the perpetrators at that time. They weren’t labeled as anything but held up as shining examples of freedom of speech and democracy in action. The ignorance or arrogance of the producer of this spoof, presupposes that most people are naïve or simply so stupid as to not be able to connect those dots.

The funniest thing I heard here was the use of “baby killer”, a long held phrase dating back to the liberal antiwar movement of the 60’s and carried forward by such bastions as John Kerry and Jack Murtha when they spoke of killing innocent women and children in the dark of night. At this rate this independent wonders aloud, how long before NPR seeks a bailout from the people they are shilling for.

PatriotPete on January 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Tea Bag is hard for liberals to learn because they do poorly on all of nations scholastic standards.

Also, the clip had to be in toon because libs like bright colors and are into anime.

Finally, the give away that this bit of humor isn’t is because it contains language that only Ogerman could use.

This toon also show that liberals live in Wonderland with Obagem and his Vice filling the roles of Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum. Remember the definition of Twiddle is “to toy or trifle with some object”, which is exactly what this Administration does with every program it wants.

MSGTAS on January 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Well, that was pretty stupid. Stereotyping is the lowest form of discourse.

That, of course, goes for both partisan sides.

AnninCA on January 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Mojave Mark on January 4, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I doubt many watch, but ALL of us donate, whether we like it or not.

hippiepunk on January 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Right, we’re the ones freaking out, while your side is the one actively trying to force “balance” on conservative talk radio.

Try some perspective, hippie.

Bleeds Blue on January 4, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Does it really matter? Is this something our tax dollars should be used to support in any way? Even if he’s not getting paid, he’s being advertised.

Very open-minded.

Grow Fins on January 5, 2010 at 9:38 AM

What, you think it’s better to go to a site with views that differ from yours just so you can mock them and pretend to listen?

Esthier on January 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM

That, of course, goes for both partisan sides.

AnninCA on January 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Sure, but only one partisan side is paid with my tax dollars.

Esthier on January 5, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Remove ANY federal funding NOW!

Winebabe on January 5, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Ever notice how NPR berates and criticizes Islam and makes fun of Allah?
I especially like their cartoons of Allah!

Cybergeezer on January 5, 2010 at 10:50 AM

our taxpayer bucks fund these dunderheads that mock us? We need to fight this and begin stealing liberal money to mock liberals….

ted c on January 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I used to listen to NPR, but stopped when they had a call in show from women who had abortions. The host made it clear in the beginning of the show, the topic wasn’t about whether it was right or wrong, it was just to tell why you decided on this course of action.

Reasons ranged from “I was in graduate school and this was going to get in the way” to “It didn’t fit into my plans at this time” to “we already had 2 children and didn’t want any more”. Bottom line: Babies are just too inconvenient. (Reminds me of the current health control debate, from partial birth abortion support to death panels). I didn’t hear one word of remorse or regret. Maybesome women called in who regretted a decision based on selfishness, but those calls never made it on the air.

Regardless, NPR has NEVERbeen in my home or car since. And I used to be a supporter. No longer. I can’t/won’t listen to such a litany of elites and morally shallow people. This is what NPR is today.

manateespirit on January 5, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I listen to NPR in my car on a daily basis, and they usually don’t do political theatre.

Vincenzo on January 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Well, that was pretty stupid. Stereotyping is the lowest form of discourse.

That, of course, goes for both partisan sides.

AnninCA on January 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Staying on topic is difficult for you.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

also, come on now, its an opinion piece. take it easy already.

Vincenzo on January 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Vincenzo on January 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Talk of the Nation is slanted left and their show On Point is very much so. All with my tax dollars.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

NPR may have referred to this piece. It’s not an NPR position, however.

I think, personally, that most of their stories are less partisan than any of the cable news shows.

AnninCA on January 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM

its an opinion piece. take it easy already.

Vincenzo on January 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Opinion…gotcha with a touch of perverted humor.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Staying on topic is difficult for you.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

The story is about the cartoon, which stereotypes people.

If that escapes you, OK, but that’s your issue.

AnninCA on January 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM

AnninCA on January 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM

You ain’t listening.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Juvenile at best. But that is the self limiting quality of the liberal leftist intelligence and mind set. They never become self aware. Its a hive mentality.

Itchee Dryback on January 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

AnninCA on January 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Comprehension is another of your negatives. Read my original post directed to you. Sheesh pubwic schools really did know what they were doing….creating a bunch of idiots for the Dems to feast upon.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Annin

I see you do not comprehend well. Read my original post to you. This is just silly. Public education at its finest/

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Hmmm delay in my post. Thought a word flagged a censor.

CWforFreedom on January 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM

its an opinion piece. take it easy already.

Vincenzo on January 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM

And we can expect a similar piece presenting the “other” opinion when?
If never, then its not really an opinion piece, its a statement of position and advocacy.

Itchee Dryback on January 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM

God, that so sucked.

TheSitRep on January 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM

31% from listeners in the form of pledges, memberships, and other donations
20% from businesses via corporate underwriting
9% from foundations and major gifts
5% from local and state governments, and
14% from all other sources.

I got 90% total. Anyone else get this? Government math at its best!

dIb on January 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM

why the last part was struck out, I have no idea:

I got 90% total. Anyone else get this? Government math at its best!

dIb on January 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM

NPR may have referred to this piece. It’s not an NPR position, however.

AnninCA on January 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM

You mean it’s not one they acknowledge openly on the radio. It’s getting harder to make the case that it’s not their actual position considering they left this up for at least two months and have no counter on the site.

Either it’s their position, or they simply don’t mind insulting a large portion of the voting and taxed public. Either way, it doesn’t look good for NPR.

And you don’t help NPR by saying they’re less biased than cable news. Why in the world should a federally funded news organization have ANY bias? Why should voters of all political persuasions be forced to pay for something with even a hint of bias?

Esthier on January 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM

when i read your line about the waste of tax dollars, that stupid bloomberg heroin pamphlet came to mind! this is why i can’t watch local news!

anna on January 5, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I like how he has to cut off right from the first line:

“I think the public option and the competition it would foster”…

I can just see Fiore’s little mind reeling. “Wait a minute, that doesn’t make sense. Not even to me. And if I continue that thought, it might just show how much of a tool I am… I better make up some nonsense right now, in a [pathetic] attempt at humor!”

Smacks similar to the analysis of Avatar from yesterday. A fifth grader writing for a third grader, and us eighth graders are watching and criticizing it. The difference is, we’re just seeing just how infantile the fifth grade writing really is, and fails to show any point whatsoever (as opposed to accidentally bolstering a conservative point), other than to insult those who disagree (rather than bring up any substantive counterpoint whatsoever).

NPR, if we fall to the land of Idocracy, you can proudly claim to have been the vanguard and flag carrier. Bravo and tallyho!

CatsGodot on January 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Keep up the good work kids.

hippiepunk on January 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM

No, it’s clear evidence that no one listens or pays attention to NPR. It takes a conservative site such as HA to make anyone want to even take a look. NPR, much like Air America (is that even still on?) could have static and have about the same audience share as it does now.

Nice try. Thanks for playing.

CatsGodot on January 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM

All politics aside,that was just plain juvenile.The fact that any media outlet would broadcast such drivel demonstrates a complete lack of respect for the intelligence of their audience.

DDT on January 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Summary of thread:

Most people: “Why do my tax dollars have to go towards propping up this trash?”

NPR apologists: “Actually, there’s no evidence NPR paid for this, and only a tiny minority of public radio funding comes from the federal government, most of that for only select programs.”

Most people: “Um…. Defund NPR!”

NPR apologists: *facepalm*

I support public media, but a few of the things they’ve done in 2009 have been worrying to me, so I halved my annual donation. Upset listeners are going to make a lot better of an impression on public radio than an upset government, considering both the independence they cherish and the amount of funding they get from both. If you count CPB funding as “federal,” you’d have to count corporate underwriting (ads by another name) as from the “listeners,” and 11% is nothing compared to 51%.

calbear on January 5, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Vincenzo: I must be so lucky, all of the rare times I tune into NPR (or more likely I’m somewhere already tuned in), it’s political propaganda.

AnninCA: One more time – OF COURSE you don’t think they’re partisan, you’re a liberal, they’re liberals, they’re saying what you’re thinking. Leftists don’t seem to be able to comprehend that they aren’t centrists.

calbear: If NPR was anything but leftist propaganda, we could talk about theft-based entertainment. It isn’t, so we can’t.

If it seems to you like I’m a little sick and tired of my money being taken to be used to insult me and campaign against my ideals, YOU’RE RIGHT.

Merovign on January 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Oh, and they lie constantly about how much of their money comes from taxes, like everything else.

Merovign on January 5, 2010 at 9:49 PM