Video: The obligatory “Brit advises Tiger Woods to convert to Christianity” clip

posted at 8:38 pm on January 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

Not the first guy I would have thought of if you’d asked me to guess which Fox News anchor would call on Tiger to embrace Jesus, but oh well. I’m as ignorant of Buddhism as I am everything else, but isn’t one of the key teachings that all suffering is caused by, er, desire and that the path to serenity lies through freeing yourself from that desire? In which case, Tige’s problem might not be that he’s got the wrong religion but that the one he’s got hasn’t quite penetrated yet. No pun intended.

Update: A question for Brit from DrewM: What’s your advice for, say, Mark Sanford?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

and Norman.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 2:23 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 2:26 AM

One of the basic facts of HA: Cindy Munford is not a troll.

darii on January 4, 2010 at 2:26 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 2:26 AM

LOL!!!

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 2:27 AM

I thought you were referring to her.

Cindy Munford

I was :)

beachgirlusa

And Norman.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 2:28 AM

One of the basic facts of HA: Cindy Munford is not a troll.

darii

Yes, I know that very well. She’s a regular poster here, so am I.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 2:29 AM

darii on January 4, 2010 at 2:26 AM

I am pretty sure that April would disagree with that but then she generally disagrees with everything. Thank you.

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 2:29 AM

there is redemption to be found in traditional Judaism

There is redemption for traditional (and non-traditional for that matter) Jews. As there is for all. In Jesus. not “to be found” but already accomplished; “once for all”.
Respectfully.

kcewa on January 4, 2010 at 2:30 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 2:29 AM

My statement was just an emphatic punctuation mark on your pithy comments than anything else.

darii on January 4, 2010 at 2:30 AM

My statement was just an emphatic punctuation mark on your pithy comments more than anything else.

darii on January 4, 2010 at 2:30 AM

oops. forgot a word

darii on January 4, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Well fellow HotAirians, I am going to be so annoyed when the alarm goes off at 5:45 a.m. and will be calling myself terrible names. So goodnight and sweet dreams to you all. The knowledge of the people at HotAir never fails to amaze me and I thank you all, or most of you, for my continuing education.

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Good night. :)

darii on January 4, 2010 at 2:34 AM

I was :)

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Of course you were, I knew that.

I just do not understand why when I was merely pointing out how the Far Right resembles the Far Left in oh so many ways….

AprilOrit on January 4, 2010 at 2:47 AM

‘night Cindy.

LOL Me too.

The knowledge of the people at HotAir never fails to amaze me

Same here.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Not that I care what Brit has to say about any of this, but surely you aren’t comparing Tiger’s whoring around with poor old Sanford falling goofily in love?

disa on January 4, 2010 at 3:01 AM

AprilOrit

Good night.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:03 AM

disa

Adultery is adultery, although I understand what you’re saying about Sanford. He seems about 90 cents short of $1. Then again I guess it could be argued by some that Tiger’s actions are a form of mental illness, too but I’m not excusing either of them.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM

darii

I haven’t been to HA as much in the past couple of weeks as I usually am, are you new? I don’t remember seeing your name before.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Cindy Munford

What’s become of Loxodonta? I never see him post anymore.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:10 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:09 AM

I’m not new, just infrequent. Started commenting either around late 2007 or early 2008. Due to school I haven’t been commenting much or at all over the past semester. :)

darii on January 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM

‘Night all.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Is Bishop still around? That guy was funny.

darii on January 4, 2010 at 3:14 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:13 AM

Night

darii on January 4, 2010 at 3:14 AM

darii

You’ve been here much longer than me then, I just started around this past Sept. or Oct.

Your twitter name, is it a pun on “The Waltons” Johnboy?

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM

I see Bishop’s name sometimes.

To me Lorien is hilarious, very quick-witted.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:18 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:10 AM

And I am still awake. Lox has decided not to come back to HotAir. While I don’t understand his reasoning, it is his decision. He will be missed, at least I have his email so I can check in with him.

darii on January 4, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Bishop is still around and still very funny. He is easier to catch during the day.

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Oh, there are all flavors of adultery. I’m more inclined to pity Sanford for falling in love so late in life (although I despise him for his foolishness).

For Tiger, I feel only contempt.

disa on January 4, 2010 at 3:21 AM

I feel sorry for them both, I think they’re both messed up in different ways.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Your twitter name, is it a pun on “The Waltons” Johnboy?

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Nope. It’s just my name. John H. Boyer. :)

darii on January 4, 2010 at 3:24 AM

Cindy Munford

I hate to see Lox go. Will you please tell him I said hi next time you email him? Thx.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Ah. Thanks!

darii on January 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM

darii

Ok. I’m more tired than I realized, seeing puns where none exist.

Now I really hafta go to bed, so ‘night everyone….again :)

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:27 AM

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM

I will pass on your best wishes. I hope he is lurking but he says he is not.

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 3:30 AM

Of course, since we live in a post-Christian world, Brit’s suggestion is even more offensive to the Godless hedonists than Tiger’s abhorant behavior.

Don L on January 4, 2010 at 5:33 AM

Brit was talking about redemption. I’d say the same advice would work for Sanford.

highhopes on January 4, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Don L on January 4, 2010 at 5:33 AM

As one of the godless around here (I wouldn’t say I’m a hedonist), I find Britt’s remarks not to be offensive at all. Goofy, but not offensive.

MJBrutus on January 4, 2010 at 7:24 AM

What’s your advice for, say, Mark Sanford?

That’s easy… same advice. If you are suggesting that Sanford is already a Christian, it only proves what all true Christians know… they are not perfect, and sin in their lives will continue until the end of their lives, at which point their souls will be sanctified. Mark Sanford may or may not be a Christian, but if he is, there must be a struggle to resist sin, not the absence of sin. If Tiger turned to Christianity, he would have forgiveness and the Holy Spirit to assist him is his struggle with his sin.

Of course, what do I know? I’m agnostic (but a former student of theology).

lionheart on January 4, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I like Brit. This is a weird comment.

I’m choosing to see this as a plug for his “team” sort of thing. “Hey I’m a Christian, it’s awesome, you should try it I think it would help you!” Which, you know, ok …I guess?

Dash on January 4, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Also… HOPEFULLY, Tiger would take this at least in the spirit that Penn Gillette (a devout Atheist) did when given a bible:

Dash on January 4, 2010 at 7:33 AM

And the struggle continues to pretend that all faith claims are equally true. All are winners, and all must have prizes.

Sorry, friends. No matter how much you wish all faith claims were equal, they are not.

To the extent you want them all to be equal, and therefore equally meaningless, you are like Beavis and Butthead scoffing at math class, heh, who needs math, heh, it’s just a bunch of squiggly lines on the blackboard, heh.

When you find yourself clinging to the myth that it’s all just a bunch of squiggly lines, that’s a sure sign it may be time to become an adult.

Food for thought.

jeff_from_mpls on January 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Food for thought.jeff_from_mpls on January 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM

They are equal in their assertions about the supernatural world, unequal in the richness of their moral teaching. A practicing Buddhist would know why Tiger’s behavior was wrong. The public is less interested in Tiger’s divine redemption than seeing him fix things with his family and get his life in order.

dedalus on January 4, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Brit’s absolutely right. But converting from one religion or belief system is extremely hard; it involves discipline, learn the new boundaries and the history of the religion itself, and above all, embrace in his heart an amazing feeling of love from Christ/Jesus/God/Our Blessed Mother, etc.

I don’t know about Buddhism, I just think of the Dalai Lama and Richard Gere. The Dalai Lama looks always so happy and content, of course anybody would want to meet him! I see him as a wise man, and that I can learn happiness from him. That’s about it. Please don’t mention to me any political stuff that happens in his country. I want to narrow it down to the person.

Even a woman of faith that I am, it does take discipline to pray, to look and to listen (quote comes from a Maria Rosa Mystica prayer) and Padre Pio, “pray, have faith and don’t worry”. I have the faith, I have the ability to connect with Heaven, and be on the right path for individual salvation.

This does NOT apply to the Kennedys. You can call yourself a Catholic, go to a Catholic church and cheat on your wife; be a treasonous man and a liar. Be filthy and dirty on the eyes of your family, friends, the world-and God will look at all that and check off His Commandments. The best example was their funeral. My gosh it felt like they were covered with tar, goo, charcoal! And to top it off, bring politics to the Church to campaign for Obamacare. Repulsive! If I was a high rank member of the Catholic church, I’d excommunicate(sp?) them all. They are not worthy of entering the House of God with their filthiness. Sorry that’s my honest opinion.

It’s easy to call yourself a Catholic and not practice it. It’s easy to go to church while at the same time do all the things the Kennedys do. I know, I have been there. But when you are called to battle alongside Him, you must!

Prayer is a challenge, and whenever you pray, something happens and it forces you to pause, or stop. It is very satisfying to overcome whatever’s outside (ykwim) and not interrupt your conversations with God.

I wish Tiger to perfom a 360 in his personal life, but stay away from golf and leave any personal golf goals behind. That won’t bring his family back. Besides, I went to Oakmont for two days, and the crowds scream all kinds of things. I remember he had to take off in a helicopter to go back to Elin b/c she was due to have her baby. It is a shame that he was cheating that much, and that often.

It would be nice someday that Allahpundit finds Christ and posts it here. It would make the hundreds of us insanely happy. And I am patient!

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Awesome.
I too hope for TW that he finds the peace that comes from forgiveness through Jesus Christ.

balkanmom2 on January 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM

I wonder what Church he got married in. Can’t he just be Buddah and not be good at it, like some Catholics? eh I dunno. He made his bed. I have no sympathy.

As far as Britt. wow. You go sir. Preach away. We dont get enough of it, but don;t put FOXNEWS into another level the public isnt ready for to force them into the darkside of CNN again.

johnnyU on January 4, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I like Brit. This is a weird comment.

Dash on January 4, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Weird? How is it weird to point out Christianity’s redemptive nature? It’s the whole point of the faith!

People seem to be weirded out that a Christian actually mentions Christ. More of us should be doing so in everyday situations no matter how much the faithless are weireded out by folks not sticking to the PC world of pretending faithless hedonism is the norm.

highhopes on January 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM

He made his bed. I have no sympathy.

johnnyU on January 4, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I do have some sympathy- for his wife. It’s unfair that this very private matter is public fodder. In the best of circumstances, I think it nearly impossible to repair a relationship where there has been this kind of betrayal. I don’t know how one would even start in this case.

My guess is that Tiger will go back to playing golf, will get a divorce, and all will be forgotten by the public as he continues to win major tournaments.

highhopes on January 4, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Wait, what’s the difference? Don’t Mormon’s believe in Jesus Christ?

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I went couple of times to a LDS church; the second or third time I believe, I witnessed a baptism. Not the usual baptism that we have seen; it was (in that church in particular) all dressed in white gowns, toga-type not satin. The child dressed in white too. The “bathtub” had a Jacuzzi thing to it, the church leader preached to everybody and the child, and then the child was baptized. Kid was like 6-7 years old. I believe an adult or two followed suit. They felt total overjoy and happiness; I felt good for them, but utterly confused. It was like dunking a grownup in a hospital tub.

Not the way Christians do. They also deny the Trinity, among many other things. Here is what the Christian (Lutheran) Cyclopedia has to say about them. Most Christian church bodies do not recognize their baptisms as valid.

They have their own belief system (I still have some Mormon books here, with stories in them). My problem is that they look onto men in Utah as their 12 disciples of the LDS church, and after one passes away another disciple is chosen, if I remember correctly. So they look to the Bible, with the Mormon book chapters inserted in it.

That the Bible is not complete, it is missing the chapters of their Mormon bible, and in fact some of their Bibles have the Mormon chapters inserted in between.

Just like when my Catholic deacon came home and checked and inspected every single Bible I have here (approx. 8). KJV is not acknowledged by the Catholic church, since he said it’s missing 12 chapters, and of course, the King James’ Bible is NOT Catholic. I have yet to pick up my Catholic Bible and see the differences so I can share it with you.

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Sorry for the repeat!!!

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I forgot to add that Mormons don’t want you to look on the Internet for their religion; they feel there’s a lot of misinformation about their religion (wink, wink). If you are in the process to become a Mormon, they mention this several times.

Just a heads-up. Of course, I could not resist :D

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM

I have been told by “Christians” that if I get rid of my husband via divorce, God won’t forgive me, but if I get rid of him by “offing” him, that God will forgive me.

Guess which method I chose?

He’s my son’s father, so choose…wisely…

ladyingray on January 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Now-a-days it is considered impolite to advocate one’s religion over another and so if Brit had simply said: “I urge Tiger to get counseling”, everyone would have smiled and nodded and said, “oh yes, that’s great. Get counseling.”

But what if Brit thinks most counseling is a lot of bosh and that Tiger needs a fundamental change in his very being? Should he still urge counseling because it’s more important to be polite?

I’m reminded of a few quotes by Catholic writer Flannery O’Connor:

“You have to push as hard as the age that pushes against you”

“The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.”

and finally:

“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.”

I see all three of those things in Brit’s comments. Well done Mr. Hume and thank you again Miss O’Connor.

PackerBronco on January 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Getting caught with your pants down and leading a double life…. Tiger’s already got religion down pretty good.

lexhamfox on January 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Thank you, Brit, for not letting Political Correctness get in the way of your Faith.

kingsjester on January 4, 2010 at 8:38 AM

That is why the truth was restored in our times through a prophet and apostles. http://www.lds.org

scotash on January 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM

What, a prophet who took molested children was chosen by God? Then I guess Mohamed was chosen by God also.
Listen, people can have dissenting opinions, even “Bible Dictionary’s”, but the fact is, it wasn’t a “vote”. When that is stated it shows me that you were raised as a Mormon, because that is a standard Mormon propaganda statement.
It was a debate that started in 140 AD, born from men who believed differently. The differences are pointed out in my other posts.
You do know that Harpers also states that the name Jesus does not appear in the bible? That the name Jesus is not even a Hebrew name? So now you will tell the Mormon church to no longer use the word Jesus, since Harper’s says it doesn’t exist? You want to supplant the bible with Harper’s? Or do you just choose whatever supports your theory at the time?
Easton’s, Nave’s, dozens of other authoritative books state differently then your one example….
Because a word is not in the bible, but a word to describe a concept in the bible, does not mean that concept is wrong.
That is like saying if a ruler has only inches marked, that 1/4 inches don’t exist…often words are used to describe, or define, complex ideas, and sometimes they are used as a “shorthand” to define those ideas.

right2bright on January 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Er, isn’t he implying what Jesus actually said?
I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”John 12:6

Jesus is the ONLY way, according to him.
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” Acts 4:12

So many here thinks Jesus is some weak sissy, but he’s the toughest man, humanly speaking, that ever lived. He came as a sacrifice the first time, but he will come as a judge the second time.
Common sense tells you that if you want to know who Jesus is, go to the source: the bible.

maynila on January 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

The Apocrypha, or Deuterocanonicals.
Those are the 12 books that were not included in the catholic versions of the bible.
From what I understand, it was not included in the KJV because they are spurious.

maynila on January 4, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Tiger’s already got religion down pretty good.

lexhamfox on January 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM

You are right on!
But, biblical Christianity is about a personal relationship with God not religion/religious duties.

balkanmom2 on January 4, 2010 at 9:03 AM

kcewa on January 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM

We know that “persons” exist because they display personalities.

And, yes, Skydaddy’s analogy could lead to modalism.

I’m all about concise theoogical explanations, but not straining at gnats and swallowing camels.

davidk on January 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Jesus Christ! (no pun intended) Some people need to get out of the house.

killtruck on January 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM

This is an unbelievable bunch of sanctimony. Whose religion is better? Who isn’t Christian? Brit Hume is ridiculous? “Oh, please” to it all.

If you really want to get right down to it, the one true Christian faith is that of the Catholic Church; it is the only one founded by the Man Himself, Jesus Christ. All other Christian faiths, like it or not, are offshoots from it in one way or another.

I am a Roman Catholic; it is part of what I believe.

And from these posts, I’m sure all of you of different Christian faiths believe yours is the one true faith as well. I would hope you do, or why be a part of it?

In a general sense, we should be looking at what unites us, instead of what divides us. Morals & values. Not nitpicky bits of doctrine here and there. That discussion is better left for times other than this, At this very dangerous point for America, how is that helpful?

Same with the Jewish faith. the Buddhist faith, the Hindu faith . . . and even atheists.

Frankly, I don’t care if someone worships a tree in their backyard, as long as they do not intend to harm my family, my country, or me.

This is still a free country; Brit Hume is perfectly within his rights to give his opinion about how to help Tiger Woods. I would bet that opinion is based on some very personal experiences for him in his own religion. Didn’t Brit’s son Sandy kill himself a few years ago? Perhaps Brit sought comfort in his faith, and seeing how it helped him, is recommending Tiger do the same.

Marybeth on January 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM

ladyingray on January 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Divorce him and get all his stuff and then off him.

davidk on January 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM

Oh no! Lox is gone? That is a true loss. I can’t imagine him getting insulted enough to leave. Maybe I am infrequent enough I missed something big?

petunia on January 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Don L

Excellent point.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 9:27 AM

No pun intended.

None taken. :)

mikeyboss on January 4, 2010 at 9:28 AM

The fact that the world is offended at what Brit said is pretty good evidence that Jesus would approve of his message. Not dispositive but a strong prerequisite.

tommyboy on January 4, 2010 at 9:30 AM

petunia

I wouldn’t think he’d let insults bother him, he’s thicker-skinned than that, a tough old elephant, remember? Tough but still sensitive to the feelings of others.

Maybe he got tired of the threads being hijacked by trolls; maybe he realized the futility of trying to have honest discussion with (most) libs; maybe he felt he was online too much; maybe he’s fed up/disgusted with the political scene; could be anything.

I miss him, though.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 9:32 AM

ladyingray

I think you’re being facetious but obviously anyone who says or believes such a thing is crazy, no matter their religion.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Just a heads-up. Of course, I could not resist :D

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Not ture at all. Mormons have http://www.lds.org, and http://www.mormons.org and many other websites.

If you are looking for false information about Mormons then by all means go to the people who hate us and spread all the same old lies and distortions over and over again although they have been disproved over and over.

But if you want to know who we are and what we believe all our lesson books are online, all our scriptures, all our doctrine. Go to the source, http://www.lds.org. Our doctrine is our doctrine and it is all online.

The haters are on the internet and have quite a few organizations… and they are off the internet as well. And yet we still stand as a witness of Jesus Christ and his divinity.

And we have no “robes” at Baptisms. But traditionally we do use white clothes as a symbolism for purity and cleanliness. I suppose that is offensive although I have no idea why.

People just like to be offended I suppose.

petunia on January 4, 2010 at 9:36 AM

In other words Tiger, get saved!

Right on Brit.

Mojave Mark on January 4, 2010 at 9:36 AM

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010

Glad that would make you happy. You are easily satisfied.
I don’t care what he finds. I see two possible explanations for his professed atheism: He’s so shallow that the only reason he professes it is so he can sleep in on Sundays. Or…, he’s just pissed off at God for some reason and this is his way of sticking his tongue out at Him. Claim what he will, I don’t think it goes much deeper than that.

Extrafishy on January 4, 2010 at 9:37 AM

the only reason he professes it is so he can sleep in on Sundays.

LOL

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Claim what he will, I don’t think it goes much deeper than that.

Extrafishy on January 4, 2010 at 9:37 AM

AP puts considerable thought into his hundreds of postings every year. It seems likely that he’s put at least as much thought into his position regarding the creator of the universe. He may ultimately be wrong, but he doesn’t seem shallow.

dedalus on January 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Brit tripped over his ignorance of Buddhism and did a faceplant on the concrete sidewalk of his ethnocentrism.
fair and balanced was knocked unconscious…

max1 on January 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Same Advice I’m sure

jp on January 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Agree that Brit is absolutely right. But the conversion thing is made much more difficult by religion. It is actually much easier than that. You don’t have to start the process through the mind, you can get there by experience: Sincerely ask God to take over. Confess Christ as Lord of your life. Ask Jesus to enter your life and change it by His Holy Spirit. Read even a little of His Word (the Bible) every day. Then watch what God will do in your life — internally and externally. And the head knowledge will flow from that. (Ref: 2Cor 5:17, Rom 10:9-10)
[Accordingly, Bret's comment would have been more powerful (but less politically correct) if he had advised Tiger to embrace Jesus Christ vs. the Christian Religion.]

Christian Conservative on January 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Buddhism has nothing to say about what constitutes enlightened “action”, let alone actions that specifically lead to enlightenment, other than meditation.

neurosculptor on January 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM

um, no, you could not be more wrong sir…

max1 on January 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Christian Conservative on January 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Right as rain, Believer.

kingsjester on January 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

ProudPalinFan on January 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

A Catholic friend gave me a copy of the Douay-Rheims version of the Bible; it has Genesis 3:15 saying (to the serpent in the Garden), “I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed; she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.” Commentary at the bottom of the page says that “it is by her seed, Jesus Christ, that the woman crushes the serpent’s head.” The woman, my Catholic friends tell me, is the Virgin Mary.

But my non-Catholic versions say, “He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel.” The “He” is Jesus, and that verse (often called the Protevangelium), is the first messianic prophecy in the Bible.

KyMouse on January 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

As for the New Testament — Catholic version or the KJV….I prefer the Greek. Original language. Can be studied. Original intention revealed.
Sweet.

balkanmom2 on January 4, 2010 at 9:57 AM

kingsjester on January 4, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Upsetting Buddhists in the U.S. isn’t a big financial risk for Hume and the network.

Has Brit offered the same advice to Eliot Spitzer?

dedalus on January 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM

And all you need to conduct a powerful study in the original language is a reverse interlinear Bible and a good lexicon. It’s not quite the same as being fluent in Koine Greek but it’s very strong.

tommyboy on January 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM

–KyMouse on January 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Your non-Catholic versions are correct. Exegesis trumps eisegesis.

Yephora on January 4, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Has Brit offered the same advice to Eliot Spitzer?
dedalus on January 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM

The subject was Tiger. But, considering his strong faith, I’m certain he would. So would I. Christians aren’t perfect. Just forgiven.

kingsjester on January 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM

WoW! 500 comments, looks like this topic needed to be discussed.

royzer on January 4, 2010 at 10:28 AM

petunia on January 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM

No you didn’t miss anything, his problems did not play out on HA but that’s truly all I know. He is not giving specifics. I tried to convince him that sticking with HA made sense because he would be surround by friends and obviously the moderators but no sale. Just in case he’s lurking. He is a lovable BULL HEAD, not that there is anything wrong with that. He needs to come back.

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM

ladyingray on January 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM

That’s just crazy.

Cindy Munford on January 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Concerning Mormonism — I have a paperback copy of “Gospel Principles,” an LDS Sunday School book whose text is online (or at least was the last time I looked) at official LDS Web sites.

“Gospel Principles” very plainly says that God has a body of flesh and bone; that Jesus and Satan/Lucifer are spirit brothers; that when LDS Presidents (a.k.a. Prophets) speak for God, “it is as if God were speaking”; and that “exalted” Mormons will become gods. Those, and many other claims, are clearly stated.

At the back of my copy of “Gospel Principles” is a selection of Mormon hymns. One of the most amazing is “Praise to the Man,” a tribute to founder Joseph Smith:

Praise to the man who communed with Jehovah!
Jesus anointed that Prophet and Seer.
Blessed to open the last dispensation,
Kings shall extol him and nations revere.

Praise to his mem’ry, he died as a martyr;
Honored and blest be his ever great name!
Long shall his blood, which was shed by assassins,
Plead unto heav’n while the earth lauds his fame.

Great is his glory and endless his priesthood.
Ever and ever the keys he will hold.
Faithful and true, he will enter his kingdom,
Crowned in the midst of the prophets of old.

Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven;
Earth must atone for the blood of that man.
Wake up the world for the conflict of justice.
Millions shall know “Brother Joseph” again.

Chorus:
Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!
Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.
Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;
Death cannot conquer the hero again.

KyMouse on January 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Christian Conservative on January 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Amen brother.

dthorny on January 4, 2010 at 10:49 AM

They always have these round-table discussions at the end of Fox News Sunday, where they all just give their opinions. I see nothing wrong with Brit saying what he did, I don’t hear any uproar over some of the crap spewed by Chris Matthews when he gives his oh-so-unbiased opinions on msnbc.

beachgirlusa on January 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Good for you, Brit!!

theaddora on January 4, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Concerning Mormonism — I have a paperback copy of the LDS book “Gospel Principles,” which I believe is online at an official LDS site for anyone who wants to read it. It plainly states that the supreme God has a body of “flesh and bones”; that faithful Mormons become gods; that everyone who lives on earth was the heavenly brother or sister of everyone else, and so Jesus and Lucifer are spirit brothers. And LDS Presidents, a.k.a. Prophets, speak for God. There is much more I could mention, but anyone who wants to find what Mormonism actually teaches should read their “Gospel Principles.” But please put on your whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:11) before you do so.

KyMouse on January 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Sorry for the repeated comment above — it was taking so long for my comment to be posted, I figured it wasn’t going through.

KyMouse on January 4, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Has Brit offered the same advice to Eliot Spitzer?
dedalus on January 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM

kingsjester on January 4, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Yes, though if a Christian’s advice to every non-Christian who fails consists of a conversion request, then it can come across as more self-serving than helpful.

A religious conversion shouldn’t be based on ad hoc problem solving.

dedalus on January 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Allahpundit

you disgust me

long_cat on January 4, 2010 at 11:51 AM

dedalus on January 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM

If you had Good News, wouldn’t you want to share it? If you sincerely thought you could help someone with their problems with an insight you possessed, would you offer a suggestion?

kingsjester on January 4, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Wait a minute. You mean the United States is and was and will be a C h r i s t i a n country? OMG! Got to love Brit! God Bless you Brit!

Cinday Blackburn on January 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Brit Hume has as much right to express this stated comment in a public forum as does Allahpundit in stating his disgust in this public forum.

And in that case, AP is guilty by his own accusation.

Cody Baker on January 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Practices Buddhism?

That’s just Tiger’s trick to get chicks to rub his tummy.

marklmail on January 4, 2010 at 12:10 PM

A religious conversion shouldn’t be based on ad hoc problem solving.

dedalus on January 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Hi dedalus,
Seems to me from my experience of 30 years walking with Jesus that He is the ultimate answer to every major problem in life. Many people (myself included) only looked for Him during a crisis and found that He was there all the time with arms outstretched! God cares about our life on this earth as well as the next in heaven. Why wouldn’t we want to share that with others?

Christian Conservative on January 4, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Being ashamed of Christ is no way to live.

Voter from WA State

A+

Cinday Blackburn

A+

Practices Buddhism?

That’s just Tiger’s trick to get chicks to rub his tummy.

marklmail