Video: The obligatory “Brit advises Tiger Woods to convert to Christianity” clip

posted at 8:38 pm on January 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

Not the first guy I would have thought of if you’d asked me to guess which Fox News anchor would call on Tiger to embrace Jesus, but oh well. I’m as ignorant of Buddhism as I am everything else, but isn’t one of the key teachings that all suffering is caused by, er, desire and that the path to serenity lies through freeing yourself from that desire? In which case, Tige’s problem might not be that he’s got the wrong religion but that the one he’s got hasn’t quite penetrated yet. No pun intended.

Update: A question for Brit from DrewM: What’s your advice for, say, Mark Sanford?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

When I said that Glenn Beck, as a Mormon, was not a Christian, I was refering to the classical, orthodox definition of Christianity. He may well be a genuine follower of the only Son of God, Jesus Christ of Nazareth–no one knows another’s heart but God.

However, the teachings of the Mormon church are in conflict with and opposed to the Bible from which the orthodox definition of “Christian” derives.

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

God’s knockin’ on Tiger’s door, it’s up to Tiger to open it.

ted c on January 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Could I have some crackers with that cheese?

therightscoop on January 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

But even in Iran people secretly convert to Christianity on pain of execution if discovered.

aengus on January 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM

thats not the only place…Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan..pakistan (I think)

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Hah. My thoughts exactly.

Allahpundit on January 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Those are some pretty bold words, AP. All things are natural, remember? There is nothing supernatural such as “morals” “ethics” “gods” etc. All these are invented as supreme “ideals” of our own natural projections; elevations of our self-evident inefficiencies. What, then, are your thoughts, exactly? Silly little firings of electrons between nerve endings that cannot connect in any real way to the outside world, are they not? Your assumption that what was expressed by one commenter in relation to Tiger’s actions to his “wife” (another appeal to a false relationship)have any real relation to “your” thoughts reveals your own self delusion, yeah? Unless, of course, you believe there to be something about mankind that stands outside of nature? You don’t think that, do you?

Weight of Glory on January 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

You call him a d*pshit when you cant even read. How stupid are you?
thphilli on January 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I’m not sure, why don’t you tell me? I assumed he was calling Hume a bigot.If not, apologies.
In any case, it’s not necessarily bigotry even if you do imply there’s no redemption for followers of other faiths.

Also, I meant to write dipsh*t, not d*pshit. I didn’t mean to spell out a profanity.
All square with everyone?

CarolynM on January 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Tiger better convert to something; he’s shedding sponsors like fleas… Brit’s probably right…

IntheNet on January 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Why does anyone want to redeem anyone? Do they think they are a pawn shop?

The world would go around a lot faster if everyone just minded their own business.

Cheshire Cat on January 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM

IntheNet on January 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

He needs to play some golf and convey a sense of competence about his personal matters.

dedalus on January 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Cheshire Cat on January 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM

So no one should help other people. Give advice. Because everyone should just mind their own business?

terryannonline on January 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Nice try. Implying that there is no redemption for any members of any other religious faith is bigotry.

ProfessorMiao on January 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Then Jesus is a bigot…

John 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.”

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Message to Mark Sanford? Duh, keep it in yr pants. Thats the same advice I would give everyone regardless of their religious affiliation. If you cant do it by yourself, then seek mental health treatment.

di butler on January 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Weight of Glory on January 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Yeah. What WoG said.

Babino on January 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Those were some of the most courageous words I have ever heard spoken.
Brit saw another man who needed help. He then, on national TV and regardless of the personal cost, told that man where he needed to go to find true help. That is what real men do. They stand up and speak the truth as they see it regardless of the consequences.
Thank you Brit. Your words held more wisdom and understanding than what is contained in all the colleges and universities the world over. That being, a man who is down and needs saving can find salvation in Jesus Christ.

JellyToast on January 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Given that Britt entered the seminary after retiring full time from Fox, this isn’t that surprising.

tommyboy on January 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I concur with Britt.

Captain America on January 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Oy. Google “Eightfold Path”, please.

So much profound ignorance of Buddhism in this and the other thread.

Allah’s comment at the top is about the only accurate statement I’ve seen, and he self-professes ignorance of Buddhism!

Purple Fury on January 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Oy … The Eightfold Path doesn’t detail anything about which actions, just to pursue the “right” actions in eight different areas, with “right” being open to interpretation and not canonically specified. What I said in my comment was absolutely true and described the nature of Buddhism.

Buddhist enlightenment is a state of mind, not a prescription of actions.

neurosculptor on January 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Well you got me there, Dave. If the definition is something more nuanced that someone who believes in Jesus, I’ll just have to fluff my pillow and dream of the eternal hellfire that awaits me.

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I don’t know much about Buddhism but the belief that one religion is as good as another, and all interchangeable, is the belief in multiculturalism and more particularly it isthe belief in non-discrimination, which practically every modern person now alive accepts as essential to being a good person.

Hear, hear. This is an example of how the faculty of discrimination has been destroyed via PCness and Multikulti rot in our schools. And the worst examples are by these kids who don’t know how to think. Whether they are conservatives, libertarians, liberals or progressives, they are all alike in their inability to distinguish right from wrong, good from evil, etc.

But Christians are called to discriminate in favour of Jesus Christ and against all other faiths, including Judaism. There is no reason to affect a kind of detached neutrality. Being seen as tolerant is not important.

aengus on January 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Yes! And why the hell is “discrimination” a bad thing? Thinking that all religions are equally good or bad is just as stupid as thinking that all nations are equally good or bad. Like Obama does.

atheling on January 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I believe in one God,
the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth
and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the only-begotten Son of God,
begotten of His Father before all worlds,
God of God, Light of Light,
very God of very God,
begotten, not made,
being of one substance with the Father;
by whom all things were made;
who for us men and for our salvation
came down from heaven,
and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary
and was made man;
and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate.
He suffered and was buried.
And the third day He rose again
according to the Scriptures
and ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of the Father.
And He will come again with glory to judge
both the living and the dead,
whose kingdom will have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord and giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son together
is worshiped and glorified,
who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins,
and I look for the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

OmahaConservative on January 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM

dedalus

He needs to keep his fly zipped…

IntheNet on January 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

the problem you run into is the muslims believe in Jesus too…its just that their Jesus isn’t the Jesus of the bible..

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Huh. Looks like a really unbiased site with no axe to grind. Manbe now I’ll skate on over to Huffpo to find out what that pesky Tea Party movement is all about…

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Just like Glenn Beck tells the naysayers, “Show me where I’m wrong.”

Whether Othodox Christianty is right or wron–whether Mormonism is right or wrong is not the issue before us at this point.

The point is, they are mutually exclusive. One or both are wrong. But they can’t both be right.

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Way to go, Britt!

Check out this recent article from another Buddhist turned “God-seeker”…truly amazing and inspiring!

parteagirl on January 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Tiger needs to go to Dubai and get arrested for adultery.

PrezHussein on January 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Anyone who does not believe Christ is the son of God, makes God out to be a liar.

royzer on January 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

“Mormons” do believe in Jesus Christ.

I mean, the official name of their religion is The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints. …

Jesus makes it pretty simple. Come unto Him. That’s Christianity in its basic form.

Conservative Samizdat on January 3, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Just because you accept a name, it doesn’t mean you believe in the same thing.
Politicians do that all the time…
What you mean to say is that “Mormon’s believe in A Jesus Christ”.
The Christian religions definition of Christ, if you want a “basic form” is summarized in any one of the Christian Creeds, which has defined Christianity for over 1500 years (Irenaeus was 115-202BC).
Here is a summary of all the creeds.
The Creed of Nicaea basically answered one question, who is Jesus…the answer God.

right2bright on January 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Anyone having trouble posting on the headlines?

I can post here but not there. It says I’m not logged in but clearly I am.

curious

katy on January 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Yeah. I thought it went without saying that my position was that I believed Christ to be the divine Son of God, without whose atonement, salvation wouldn’t be possible. Haven’t met too many Muslims who can say they believe the same. Let me know if you run into any. Maybe you and I and Brit Hume can work together and flip them.

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

don’t the mormons think that their church is the only true church on earth? and that the rest of christianity is apostate and mistaken?

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM

When did Charles Johnson start blogging under the name Allahpundit?

The Notorious G.O.P on January 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Because someone sins when they are Christian does not mean that there is no redemption from sin in Christianity. Not to mention that the act of adultery with one woman is a little different from giving the waitress from every local diner along the PGA tour one tip at the table and another tip in the workout trailer. I really think Woods is a sick bast@rd. He needs a psychiatrist.

Ted Torgerson on January 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM

He needs to keep his fly zipped…

IntheNet on January 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM

If he’s trying to save his marriage it’s essential, though he doesn’t need to convert (or even find religion) to understand that. His wife’s golf clubs and divorce lawyers should be incentive enough.

dedalus on January 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Then Jesus is a bigot…

John 8:24

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Exactly right.

Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; and no one comes to the Father but by Me.”

Intolerant and bigoted–unless He’s correct. Then He’s simply being compassionate for telling the Truth.

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 9:33 PM

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Agreed. But I never said you were right. I simply contended that we both believed in Jesus Christ.

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM

do mormons believe Jesus is God Almighty, creator of heaven and earth? the First and the Last? as it says is Isaiah 43:10??

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Yes. Mormons believe this.

nitzsche on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I wonder what the fall out will be other than the blogosphere?

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Little girl massacring two dozen people with gleeful abandon = Awesome entertainment.

Christian prosetylizing = Intolerable trash.

Get it?

Chris_Balsz on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

The dude is addicted to sex. He needs a stint in rehab, possibly needs to go through twice.
You can read the Bible front to back but if you have an addiction it takes more than prayer.

However, rehab does not always work. I have a cousin that went to rehab for sex addiction. She met her current husband there.
(they don’t go out much)

FireBlogger on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Christians believe in a Jesus who is God Almighty, creator of heaven and earth, the first, the last…

is Jesus a created being to mormons?

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM

JellyToast on January 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM

That was a very nice answer.

anniekc on January 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM

(they don’t go out much)

FireBlogger on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

LMAOROF

OmahaConservative on January 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

sisterchristian on January 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Some people become very coy about their beliefs, and shroud the beliefs in names similar to others.
Notice how careful the wording?
If he accepts the Apostles or Nicene Creed (or any number of the derivatives), then you know he is a Christian, if he rejects then he is not…pretty simple test.

right2bright on January 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Well Done Brit! I am very surprised to hear something like that on a nationally televised show.

I am proud that he said clearly that Jesus Christ and Christianity is the way to find the right path. I am equally impressed that he contrasted it with another religion, Buddhism and said that Christianity is much stronger. Amen and Amen Brit

wiseprince on January 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Christian prosetylizing = Intolerable trash.

Get it?

Chris_Balsz on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

+10

atheling on January 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM

You are 100% correct. That is what we believe. However, we don’t believe that non-Mormoms go to Hell. Unlike what I have been told by many is what awaits me.

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

(they don’t go out much)

FireBlogger on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

awesome

blatantblue on January 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I wonder what the fall out will be other than the blogosphere?

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I don’t think it is a big deal. I would hope there isn’t much fall out.

terryannonline on January 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Christian prosetylizing = Intolerable trash.

Get it?

Chris_Balsz on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

i didn’t see anyone call it intolerable trash

exaggerate much?

blatantblue on January 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Brit Hume is a real common sense intellectual, a rare breed. It’s the smug elitist that finds forgiveness a non-issue. Nobody and I mean nobody seems willing to forgive Tiger. But Jesus will.

mike_NC9 on January 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

For an EXCELLENT description of what kind of thinking NO discrimination leads to, see:

Click on the video link entitled: “How Modern Liberals Think”. Truly eye-opening! I’ve never heard it explained better…

parteagirl on January 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM

“Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried” -GK Chesterson

jonnyshocko on January 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I don’t believe that Mormonism is Christianity, but that is my opinion based upon what I have discovered. I’m sure others disagree.

Philly on January 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM

So no one should help other people.

Has he asked for your help? A lot of women have already helped him, it would certainly seem. Maybe too many already, in fact. Do you really want to be number 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25?

Give advice.

terryannonline on January 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I think his wife is the one who needs advice … … from a lawyer. If she is even thinking of staying with him then she needs to see a back surgeon.

Cheshire Cat on January 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I wonder what the fall out will be other than the blogosphere?

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I’m sorry- maybe I’m just an old, conservative b*tch, but I’m totally offended by Tiger Woods, and I’m not thinking he can “go back to being king of the athletic world”. I think he’s a dirtbag, and I don’t care how well he golfs. I don’t think he even deserves to play in the Masters, or any other tournament. I’ve known a lot of very successful people, and Tiger had every opportunity to appreciate the gifts he was given and he didn’t; I’m sick of making excuses for people who just decide to check out of “having good character.” He’s a lemon.

anniekc on January 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM

and that is a typical belief of a cult. that they are the only ones…

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM

After reading some of the posts in this thread, one can only conclude that devout Christians are utter morons.

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

During Hanukkah and Christmas, Fox News ran the most beautiful faith fill greetings to their audience. Given the habit of public institutions from shying away from displays of faith it was truly touching.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Kataklysmic on January 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM

The Jesus of the Bible is the only eternally begotten Son of the Eternal God Who was always God and Who has no one (e.g. father) above or before Him.

The Jesus of Mormonism was born, in time, of a god who had a father and mother.
The Jesus of Mormonism has a brother.

Two different Jesuses. Salvation is, according to the Jesus of the Bible, in and through no one but Himself.

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM

It is not appropriate for any journalist, whether it be Brit Hume or anybody else, to suggest that Tiger Woods convert to Christianity or any other religion.

If he was suggesting it only as a publicity ploy then that would be OK, though.

Really Right on January 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

This troll should be reported for going off-topic.

atheling on January 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM

So simply being a Christian is bigotry? Nice.

terryannonline on January 3, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Isn’t prejudicial exclusivity the entire premise upon which being “saved” is defined? Those who accepted Jesus Christ as their personal lord and savior, admitted to their sins and professed their faith are “saved.”

So in some ways, “simply being a Christian” does promote prejudice. I think “simply” doing anything leaves a lot to be desired. The world is a serious place, simplicity does not always simplify things.

Thoughtful Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Wiccans, Rastafarians, Zoroastrians, etc can practice their faith without disrespecting the spiritual or religious beliefs of others. Respect does not require agreement.

The Race Card on January 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Why, thank you Norman. Prayers are ascending for you.

OmahaConservative on January 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I thought Christians were followers of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Did I miss something?

sisterchristian on January 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM

devout Christians are utter morons.

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

some

not all

blatantblue on January 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Be fair, Norman, you think every commenter on HotAir that doesn’t fully embrace your beliefs are morons and idiots. It must be so wonderful to be one of those open minded progressive liberals. You seem so happy.

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM

By all means, AP. Brit should have suggested that Tiger become a stronger Buddist, or a good Jew, or maybe he should become devoutly Islamic. Anything but Christianity. Because, as we all know, it’s completely unfair to mention Christianity without giving a complete and unbiased presentation on Zoroastrianism.

What is it that you have problems with here? That someone would suggest one faith without mentioning all of them, or that someone who you apparently admire (and should) would unapologetically suggest that Christianity might be helpful?

applebutter on January 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Yes. Mormons believe this.

nitzsche on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

apparently not…

from the LDS website:

We believe Jesus is the Son of God the Father and as such inherited powers of godhood and divinity from His Father, including immortality, the capacity to live forever.

We feel that the sheer preponderance of references in the Bible would lead an uninformed reader to the understanding that God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are separate beings.

apparently if Jesus inherited his divinity, then He is a created being to mormons…

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

applebutter on January 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

i think youre suggesting things he didnt suggest

blatantblue on January 3, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Cheshire Cat on January 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Uh, yeah, I wasn’t talking about giving advice to Tiger Woods. The way you worded your comment made it seem like no one should ever get into someone else’s business.

terryannonline on January 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM

If he was suggesting it only as a publicity ploy then that would be OK, though.

Really Right on January 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Brit is an analyst and commentator, not a journalist.
He was perfectly within his rights to say what he did.

OmahaConservative on January 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Tolerance.

terryannonline on January 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM

A question for Brit from DrewM: What’s your advice for, say, Mark Sanford?

Brit’s advice to Mark Sanford could and should be the same as it was to Tiger Woods.

Mr. MacIan on January 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM

The authority of the doctrines of orthodox Christianity are derived from the apostolic witnesses of the Gospel writers, as well as the writings of Paul. Each of these either had first-hand knowledge of Jesus’ life, ministry – and most importantly, His resurrection or had carefully interviewed those who knew Jesus.

We have over 12,000 ancient copies of the New Testament documents, with the oldest dating to within a few decades of the original. There are hundreds of copies dated within two hundred years of the originals. By contrast, we have about 600 ancient copies of Homer’s writings, with the oldest being 500 years after the original. For most other ancient writers, we have a only handful of copies dated within a thousand years of the original.

Mormon doctrine is on the Book of Mormon, which Joseph Smith claimed to have translated (with angelic assistance) from a set of golden plates (since taken back by the angel).

Muslim doctrine is based on the testimony of Mohammed, who claimed that Allah dictated the Koran to him verbatim in Arabic.

Buddhist doctrine is based on the writings of Prince Guatama, who sat under a tree until he got it all figured out.

Hindu doctrine is based on a library of ancient texts (the Vedas and the Gita) whose origins are lost to history.

It is impossible to disprove the teachings of Islam, Buddhism, Mormonism, or Hinduism. They are ideas. You can accept them or reject them, but you cannot prove or disprove them. (It should be noted that no trace of the Central American civilizations described in the Book of Mormon have been found by archaeologists.)

In contrast, it is possible (at least in theory) to disprove Christianity’s central claim – that Jesus rose from the dead: Just produce the body.

skydaddy on January 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Rich men do not go to heaven. Tiger would have to do a lot to be redeemed.

PrezHussein on January 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Cindy Munford on January 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM

It has nothing to do with my beliefs. To go out on national TV as a Fox news/political commentator and say “my religion is better than yours” is stupid. And people who agree with Hume are just as stupid.

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

anniekc on January 3, 2010 at 9:42 PM

If you are looking for a collection of individuals with outstanding moral character, professional sports is a bad place to start. Tiger’s behavior is notable because it runs against his manufactured image; however, he’s not the only pro athlete with an overactive sex life.

dedalus on January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Yes. Mormons believe this.

nitzsche on January 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM

No, they don’t. They believe in a number of Gods, each God has his own world (basically), and each God was once a man.
They do not accept Isiah 43:10, only in the context that 43:10 is referring only to earth, and not all of the heavens.
This is where they resort to “you have to have the spirit within you to understand this verse”, then they try to say that the scribes were wrong, the bible is wrong, that if God says there is no God before Me, then doesn’t that infer that their could be a God before Him? (yeah, that one is too Zen for me)

right2bright on January 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM

AP

I would assume Brit would give the same advice.
It actually works when tried.

Bubba Redneck on January 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM

stupid

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

absolutely true..

right4life on January 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM

devout Christians are utter morons.

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Tell that to the next doctor who operates on you…pray that he isn’t an “utter moron”…

right2bright on January 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

No it’s not. Instead, it would be absurd to belong to a religion when you did not think it was the true one. It’s only natural to think your religion, or your country, or your wife is the best there is. Therefore, your way of thinking is unnatural and rather stupid.

atheling on January 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

skydaddy on January 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

A little light reading. :)

sisterchristian on January 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

skydaddy on January 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Nice summary…

right2bright on January 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

devout Christians are utter morons.

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Nonsense. Tripe. And this comes from someone who is decidedly non Christian.

The morons are the ones who demand nation wide adherence to their Religious doctrines. Who believe they are somehow the only ones who can salvage the Republic, the only ones fit to Govern the Republic and contend non-Christians are somehow less than full Citizens who should have full rights, liberties and responsibilities as a full Citizen.

Holger on January 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

If anyone becomes a Christian just to avoid hell, they are missing the greatest aspect of being a Christian–praising and worshipping the One Who is worthy of all praise and of all worship.

It ain’t about us.

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

For those of you who suspected that I am really a Muslim, you are right. I implore my fellow Americans on HA to convert to Islam, for there is only true peace when we submit to Allah’s will.

Repeat after me and Allah will protect and bless you and America:

There is no god but Allah and Mohammed is His prophet.

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

stupid

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

ad hominem is Latin for, “I’m out of ideas.”

skydaddy on January 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I don,t know what,s in Brit,s or tigers heart and some have ask why would anyone would want to try to redeem anyone.All i know is what Christ said.Go out among men and Spread the good news and If you are not willing to recognize me before men.I will not recognize you before my Father who is in Heaven.

thmcbb on January 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

dedalus on January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

You are exactly right and I’m sick to death of people defending him and “pundits” claiming that before long he’ll be back on top with all new endorsements. Why do we allow Madison Avenue to decide our role models for us? What makes Tiger Wood’s endorsement of a watch or a car valuable to anyone?

anniekc on January 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Not if they are right.

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

And people who agree with Hume are just as stupid.

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

So you feel that opinion makers should give no opinion? If he said that he believes that Nuclear Power would be an asset to the Nation’s economy, you would take issue with that commentary?
Your problem is that you are so nervous about Christianity, that you don’t see that opinions are given to you on any number of items throughout the day…people make economic predictions, do you hold them in the same contempt when they make them?
You must really hate the Dog Whisperer….

right2bright on January 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM

All stand and cheer
The Red Queen is here!

Cheshire Cat on January 3, 2010 at 9:59 PM

The same one would think. Repent, seek forgiveness, atone; especially from the children?

Branch Rickey on January 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

You’re a freak.

anniekc on January 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

right2bright on January 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Harper’s Bible Dictionary records that “the formal doctrine of the Trinity as it was defined by the great church councils of the fourth and fifth centuries is not to be found in the New Testament” (Paul F. Achtemeier, ed. (1985), 1099; emphasis added.)

Most of the Creeds are a result of fierce debates followed by a vote on what would make the official doctrine of Christianity. The Nicene Creed as it came to be known has since been amended several times beginning with the Athanasian and Chalcedonian Creeds in 451 AD and, more recently, the Westminster Confession of Faith in 1646 AD.

So, if you want to define “Christianity” by document(s) drafted and revised by men after the result of heated debates that were resolved by a vote and that has no basis in the New Testament, fine go ahead.

I’ll stick with Bible which makes no mention of the trinity, sola scriptura or creeds.

Jesus clearly stated that anyone who denies themselves and takes up their cross and follows Him is a follower of Jesus Christ. That’s a much simpler definition of a Christian than what the Creeds state.

Conservative Samizdat on January 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

atheling on January 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

You totally missed the point, moron. It’s OK to believe that your religion is the best, but to say it on national TV, on a program that’s not even religious is STUPID!!!

Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

For those of you who suspected that I am really a Muslim, you are right.
Norman Blizter on January 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Funny. You don’t look Muslim.

davidk on January 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Let me say at once that I am no advocate of a foolish cosmopolitanism. I believe that a man must be a good patriot before he can be, and as the only possible way of being, a good citizen of the world.

Experience teaches us that the average man who protests that his international feeling swamps his national feeling, that he does not care for his country because he cares so much for mankind, in actual practice proves himself the foe of mankind; that the man who says that he does not care to be a citizen of any one country, because he is the citizen of the world, is in fact usually and exceedingly undesirable citizen of whatever corner of the world he happens at the moment to be in.

In the dim future all moral needs and moral standards may change; but at present, if a man can view his own country and all others countries from the same level with tepid indifference, it is wise to distrust him, just as it is wise to distrust the man who can take the same dispassionate view of his wife and mother. However broad and deep a man’s sympathies, however intense his activities, he need have no fear that they will be cramped by love of his native land. – Theodore Roosevelt

This can also be applied to religion. It is an absurdity for someone to adhere to the silly idea that all religions are equal, just as it is to think that all countries are equal.

atheling on January 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM