Prayers for a friend

posted at 8:48 am on December 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday’s news that Rush Limbaugh was hospitalized in serious condition with chest pains produced a wide variety of political responses, which is entirely to be expected.  After all, we know politics ain’t beanbag, and Rush is as tough as they come in this business.  Anyone who outboxes not one but two Presidents over a twenty-year career doesn’t need anyone expressing outrageous outrage over the fact that some people don’t like him and won’t wish him well under any circumstances, and I’d bet that doesn’t bother Rush one single bit anyway.  (Besides which, it’s a common problem on both sides of the political divide, and we all know it.)

I have a different perspective on Rush, based on our very first interaction, which had nothing at all to do with politics.  Rush allowed me to share this story over three years ago when it happened, and I’d like to share it with Hot Air readers now while asking them to pray for a speedy recovery for Rush.

====

June 18, 2006
A Correspondent To Thank

I have received many e-mails and comments on my back injury and recuperation from [Captain's Quarters] readers, giving me their personal stories and advice based on their own experiences, and I have found all of it tremendously helpful. I have been grateful for all of the correspondence, but I would like to acknowledge one correspondent whose personal story and outreach to me touched me very deeply, especially considering his experiences with his own difficulties.

I wrote last week about the excruciating pain that the disc rupture caused and the painkillers that doctors prescribed to ease the situation. Some of you wrote to caution me about Vicodin and Percocet and their addictive qualities. One person in particular wrote to me about his own addiction, and in particular gave me solid advice on physiological conditions that would indicate an addictive response from my body. Given the very public nature of his addiction, his note had one hell of a lot of impact on the decisions I have made this week.

That man is Rush Limbaugh.

I know that some people think that conservatives all take orders from Rush, but we’re really not that lucky. I have corresponded with Rush’ staff on a couple of occasions where they wanted to quote my blog — they are extremely scrupulous about asking permission — but other than that, I have never written directly to Rush nor him to me. He read my post and wanted to make sure that I took precautions with pain medication in order to avoid the problems that he faced in very public (and very overblown) fashion.

It takes a special kind of person to reach out in those circumstances to a man unknown to him just to help protect that man from a danger he might not see. That correspondence informed my decisions in the hospital to hold down my pain medication and to transfer to Ibuprofen as soon as possible. I’ve been fortunate; my pain since the surgery has allowed me to rely on the over-the-counter analgesic instead of the Vicodin and Percocet. Had I never heard from Rush, I might not have had the discipline to make that decision.

All conservative writers and radio hosts, even those who do radio as a hobby and political writing as an avocation, owe a professional debt to Rush for his pioneering efforts in creating and expanding the market for conservative communications. I owe a very personal debt to Rush — and I thank him for his thoughtful and timely personal advice.

=====

As I said before, politics is a tough business, and we all sometimes fall into the trap of making arguments personal.  We often forget that the people we either hail or deride are human beings, with virtues and foibles not unlike our own.  I offer this not as a remonstration to anyone, but just as a way to give people a personal perspective on a man who has become a friend and a mentor over the years, and whose generosity and spirit may not be as widely known as his opinions.  Say a prayer for Rush and for his family, and if you can’t do it for the political commentator, do it for the friend.

Get well soon, Rush.

Update: A commenter rightly points out that the “heart attack” was an early assumption, not confirmed.  I’ve edited the first paragraph accordingly.

Update II: Tommy Christopher notes the good, the bad, and the ugly of the response so far.  Again, this is a problem which plagues both sides of the political divide, and Tommy’s piece takes a fair look at it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Awesome post Ed.

Look forward to hearing Rush on the air in 2010!

Get well soon Rush!

Talon on December 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Luckily prayers far outweigh the negativity hurled at Rush.
From the unseen realm of God he is being watched over. Blessings and a happy and healthy New Year to everyone.

Nalea on December 31, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Get well soon Rush!!!

The Conservative Movement might be able to muddle along without you for a little while, but it wouldn’t be as much fun.

hawkdriver on December 31, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Omnipotent and eternal God, the everlasting Salvation of those who believe, hear us on behalf of Thy sick servant Rush for whom we beg the aid of Thy mercy, that his bodily health be restored. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

TheBigOldDog on December 31, 2009 at 10:18 AM

hawkdriver on December 31, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Hey Hawk! :D Happy New Year, to you and your guys! Stay safe…

ladyingray on December 31, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for posting this, Ed.

Get well soon Rush!

Dave R. on December 31, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Great post, Ed. I have said here several times, I have met Rush twice. He has been very supportive of the Drs performing cochlear implants and as my dad was a pioneer, we met at a conference. He was not anything like his radio persona, he came across as shy, maybe even self-conscious. Very warm. I have suffered hearing loss and pain med addiction, so I really feel what he has been thru. Many prayers being sent from here.

di butler on December 31, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Ed,I remember how pleased I was for you when I heard Rush quote something from Captain’s Quarters and give credit. This morning what I most cared about when first scanning the google news page was seeing a story that Rush was doing well. I know no one is irreplacable but he really is important to putting into words the push back that is necessary to the ever expanding liberalism that is happening right now.

michaele on December 31, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I admit, for purely selfish and macro-political reasons I wish Rush a full and quick recovery. But for Rush and his family alone, I wish all the solemn prayers of those previously posted and more. G-dspeed Rush.

Western_Civ on December 31, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Praying for you El Rushbo as well as the poor, sad, scarey, sick libs that have to wish someone death in order to feel good about themselves. Really sad….Get back to work soon, we miss you.

sicoit on December 31, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for sharing Rush’s letter, Ed.

Rush, rest easy and mend; we’ll hold the fort until you’re ready to return to the fray.

ya2daup on December 31, 2009 at 10:34 AM

The Republic needs you now more than ever Rush. May your strong personality, sunny optimism, and His Grace see you through to a speedy recovery. All the best to you, sir! Rush Hudson Limbaugh. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm.

HadithHarry on December 31, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Great post Ed. Michelle picked a First Class winner when she tapped you to join her and Allah here at Hot Air.

Get well soon Rush, our Prayers are with you.

Zorro on December 31, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Hey Hawk! :D Happy New Year, to you and your guys! Stay safe…

ladyingray on December 31, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Happy New Years to you too.

(Honks imaginary horn)

I’ve finished all of your packages and will try to mail them the day after tomorrow.

hawkdriver on December 31, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I’ll be making a toast tonight for the health and happiness of El Rushbo ( get well soon dude ), the troops and for all the good people here at Hot Air.

Happy New Year everyone.

Jerome Horwitz on December 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Rush, thank you for being the personification of genuine hope and change.

For a generation you have provided hope for the cause of conservatism and have done it in the right way — positive, entertaining, and with unabashed resolve.

And, not only have you changed the lives of millions by helping them see themselves as they are and not as others would have them be, you have changed the way conservatism battles liberalism, from a crouched, defensive posture to a robust and proud offensive position.

We are heartened to hear that you’re doing better but, just in case, I want you to know there are millions and millions of us out here who…

WANT YOU TO SUCCEED!

Godspeed, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

TXUS on December 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I owe my conservative conversion to Rush. If not for him, I would still be one of the sheeple.

Blessings and prayers for your speedy recovery Rush.

And thanks for sharing Ed.

JohnnyD on December 31, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Rush is what happens when you combine the power of truth and the freedom of speech. Nobody does it better than Rush. He is the king of talk radio. God save the king.

Extrafishy on December 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Rush needs to get the surgery for his back. He said on the air last week that he was suffering back pain and can’t take the pain killers any more but reported to the ambulance crew that he had taken some.

scrubjay on December 31, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Amen, Ed. Speedy recovery dittos to Rush, and a Happy New Year to all at Hot Air.

itzWicks on December 31, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Give Rush some advice and tell him to lay off the cigars. They put my Dad in an early grave at 54. Smoking one cigar is like smoking one pack of cigarettes. It doesn’t matter weather you inhale them or not. Each time you smoke, your veins are instantly restricted and hardened while your blood is thickened, a deadly combination that makes your heart work much harder. Out of 8 kids in my Dad’s family, 6 died before they were 55 and they all smoked. The other 2 are on heart medication. The ones that died all died of myocardial infarctions. Want heart disease? Smoking is guaranteed to give it to you.

OxyCon on December 31, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Godspeed Rush!

rjoco1 on December 31, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I love you Rush!! Get better soon!

SueM on December 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Get well soon Rush.

RMR on December 31, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I pray God will hear all the prayers we are asking Him for your recovery Rush. You are loved by millions upon millions of people.
Thanks for sharing Ed.
L

letget on December 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Best wishes and get well soon Maha-Rushy! Get back to work soon. We have libs to school!

sonnyspats1 on December 31, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Speedy recovery Rush. Hope to see you back in action soon.
Remember not to let the pressure get to you. Time to start taking it a little easier? Maybe?

jeanie on December 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Our prayers our for you today Rush! And our prayers for you are ultimately for this country as well. We need you, El Rushbo! Your audio of “Thank God for Rush Limbaugh” comes to mind. We say it every day as we listen to you. Get well soon!

Christian Conservative on December 31, 2009 at 11:24 AM

God bless ya, Rush! We’re praying for you!

atheling on December 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Get well soon, Rush! Prayers for you, your family, and staff.

TN Mom

TN Mom on December 31, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Agree on the cigars. I wish Rush an extremely long and productive life, and speedy recovery.
Please update. I refuse to read about Rush on the MSM.

ORconservative on December 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Rush.

Purple Fury on December 31, 2009 at 11:32 AM

God Bless Rush Limbaugh.

He really is a decent and brilliant gent. I had the absolute pleasure of meeting him waaaaay back in 1991 when I was a Liberal and he was such a nice guy. He let me and my friend (who was the Rush fan) watch him broadcast and per chance it was “Meat Free Friday” (I was a veggie at the time) and he bought the WHOLE studio McDonald’s hamburgers! I got such a kick out of it and liked him even though I was a Lib (which you should read as not really knowing what I was talking about and NOT knowing the issues). He was so sweet to my friend and me, I’ll never forget it.

I bought his first book soon after and enjoyed it. Since that book I NEVER worried about Global Warming.

Since election day 2008, his show has been THE BEST and the most vital. I hope to hear him live on Monday!

Gob on December 31, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Oh my…..

Surgically-altered, chemically-enhanced radio blowhard is on the ropes?!?! Wanda Sykes sends her best.

Hey Rush, you’re right….it’s fun to make jokes about sick people.

Good4Onan on December 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

One of the most unjust things about the way Rush is protrayed is that he is painted as a selfish, greedy, heartless bastard, and that isn’t at all true. It just fits the narrative for liberals.

This is one of the areas we need to focus on as conservatives – to explode the myth about “kind” liberals and “mean” conservatives. The opposite is true.

disa on December 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

You are so right! He is not what the Libs say he is. He’s a great guy and those whom listen know his heart!

Gob on December 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Here we go. I hope Rush calls in.

Walter “Rush continues to rest and had a comfortable night”

Will have further testing to confirm source of his chest pain today.

Buckeye Babe on December 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Some good news…Walter Williams, subbing on the Rush Limbaugh Show today, just said that Rush is still resting comfortably, and a heart attack is still unconfirmed at this point.

ornery_independent on December 31, 2009 at 12:10 PM

…if I’m gonna be beaten by a girl, I prefer it to be by a babe ;)

ornery_independent on December 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM

ACK! My local station dropped Rush as of today. I still have Rush 24/7 but this sucks!

Monica on December 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Good4Onan on December 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Behold the hateful Left. This is the very same troll that defended tooth and nail the man who bit off a counter-protester’s finger at a MoveOn rally.

His thesis was that he was there so he deserved it.

He also bragged about a “colleague” who got off scott free after violently smashing another mans face. You, as I recall, were impressed that he had smashed his entire eye-socket. Of course, we only get this tools side of the story if there’s any truth to it at all.

Tit for tat vitriol and violence is a dangerous thing.

Can’t wait to go home and see one of those bandana wearing leftist thugs at a gathering of any sort. I’ll dedicate our meeting to you.

hawkdriver on December 31, 2009 at 12:15 PM

From a longtime dittohead, God bless and keep you, Rush. Get well soon!

Liam on December 31, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Hawk! Happy New year, Buddy. Let your fellow Patriot Heroes know that they remain in our thoughts and prayers as do you. Stay Safe.

kingsjester on December 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM

hawkdriver on December 31, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Thanks for highlighting the Latrine Slime’s (Good4nuthin’!) slime trail Hawk.

As ALWAYS these cretins are hypocritical beyond belief.

Blow it out your arse, Good4nuthin’!!!

Gob on December 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Monica on December 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM

????
What were they thinking?
That too many listeners makes it difficult to keep track of all the advertising revenue? Bad businesspersons deserve to go out of business.

Tom_OC on December 31, 2009 at 12:24 PM

kingsjester on December 31, 2009 at 12:21 PM
Gob on December 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Yep and yep.

hawkdriver on December 31, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I only listen to rush about 1/2 hour a week (on the way to a meeting), but his impact on America is so great.
What radio talk show host has ever had a president so consumed that the president has a weekly panel, a weekly meeting on how to combat a radio talk show host. Obama has spend more time and meetings on Rush then on the economy, security, terrorism, cabinet appointments…Rush is amazing, no one has impacted a president more then him.
Mark my words, when history is accurately reported, it will show that Obama was consumed by a radio talk show host…double amazing.
Get well Rush, I know the liberals are praying for another outcome…that should make you feel better…

right2bright on December 31, 2009 at 12:45 PM

our prayers are with you Rush

cmsinaz on December 31, 2009 at 12:50 PM

And a Happy New Year to Allah and Ed…many post on other blogs, this is the only one I have ever really posted on (about four days on dkos, to tweak then and until I really let loose).
You guys are insightful, intelligent, and continuously post the most interesting blogs.

right2bright on December 31, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Our prayers for a full and speedy recovery, Rush!

I want to thank you for teaching me to pay attention to not what was being reported in the news, but what was NOT being reported also. I trace my Dittoness to August 1989. You had been on nationally for about 2 or 3 weeks.

One of the guys in my office was from NYC. He told me about your show and described it as being “just like Morton Downey Jr.” It didn’t take 5 minutes to realize that you were nothing like that loudmouth. It also didn’t take the advised 6 weeks for me to “get” your show. In fact, the only time you threw me for a loop was when you endorsed Bill Clinton. It took me about 15 minutes to get that one.

I am not able to listen to your show daily anymore, but I consider myself to be in the graduate program of EIB. Like yourself, I am no college grad. But after listening to some of the “great” teachers at our leading universities, I don’t consider them any smarter than I am. Thank you for teaching me to think.

TugboatPhil on December 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Ed,

Last night I was telling a few people about my little situation with a herniated disk in my lumbar spine, for which I was given three choices to treat it: cortisone injections, decompression machine and back surgery. I was told that back surgery was a 50/50 proposition, that I could end up taking painkillers to numb the pain afterward – not that I’m not in pain right now. I already let my chiropractor know that, whatever I choose, I will never consent to taking prescription painkillers, because of their narcotic pull. It was remembering Rush’s experience that made me come to that realization.

Yep, Ed. I, too, owe him one.

newton on December 31, 2009 at 12:54 PM

right2bright on December 31, 2009 at 12:45 PM

That would be an outcome liberals better be careful about wishing for.

What’s in it for them if he dies? Plenty, but not what they think it might be. For what would be easier for them – to fight one Rush Limbaugh, or twenty-five to fifty million Rush Limbaughs? Because, if he’s gone, they will still have to contend with too many Dittoheads to keep count. That would be a war they cannot – and will not – win.

“If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.”

newton on December 31, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Get well soon

John the Libertarian on December 31, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Here’s to a speedy recovery for The Great Man. Happily, Breitbart reports him “resting comfortably” in Honolulu, and that there is no indication that he actually suffered a heart attack at all.

Long life, Rush!

Jaibones on December 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM

On top of back problems, Rush has talked on his radio program about a bulging disk in his neck, both things I also share. The pain is dreadful, and yes, at times it can cause chest pains as well as numbness down the arms, so Rush is smart to be getting a complete medical workup just to be sure that there’s no hidden medical problem, or if there is, to be in the right place to have it addressed immediately.

Continued prayers for Rush for his speedy recovery! He’s one of a kind, and an even greater historical trailblazer than a certain One who’s attempting to claim the fame. ;-}

KendraWilder on December 31, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I heard the news late last night,and prayed,
God speed in recovery Rush,EIB is awaiting
at your liesure:)

canopfor on December 31, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Rush, this country is falling fast into the Obama Marxist pit – we all love you – we all need you. Godspeed and tons of prayers your way! God bless you and the U.S. of A.

Cinday Blackburn on December 31, 2009 at 1:45 PM

A few select comments from the left:

tontosage wrote:
limbaugh had been swimming and was first noticed by a whale-watching boat whose crew at first thought they were witnessing the death throes of a blue whale afflicted with painful anal cysts.
They only realized their mistake when rush cursed after the boat’s captain prodded his blubber with a grappling hook.
As a precaution against toxic pollution, state health authorities have closed all beaches near to where limbaugh was hauled ashore.
12/31/2009 12:37:12 PM

jjreding wrote:

At least we won’t have to deal with Rush while he’s in hospital. I hope this knocks him off-air permanently – and what’s he doing in Hawaii anyway? Is he stalking Obama?
12/31/2009 12:24:56 PM

unclesmrgol on December 31, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Prayers for a full and speedy recovery for Rush. Love that guy.

Missy on December 31, 2009 at 1:46 PM

unclesmrgol on December 31, 2009 at 1:45 PM

We don’t need to know what childish scum are saying. Just leave them alone. Let them wallow in their own mud.

newton on December 31, 2009 at 1:59 PM

unclesmrgol on December 31, 2009 at 1:45 PM

newton on December 31, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Give me a break. Its not like the D’s have have exclusivity on spewing bile.

rjl1999 on December 31, 2009 at 2:12 PM

hawkdriver on December 31, 2009 at 12:15 PM

He’s also quite proud of his ability to beat off.

Blake on December 31, 2009 at 2:17 PM

If he had back pain again, I believe the 80 lb. weight loss helped a bit. I know he hates to exercise, but I hope he was somehow working on the core muscles to help him deal with it.

I send to him St. Padre Pio, miracle healer with a good sense of humor. He often said: “Pray, have faith, and don’t worry”. May St. Pio lay His Holy Hands upon him, and bring my fuzzy teddy bear back into Florida for bragging rights back on the radio.

I was there one time; I was worse than him; I believe I had a NDE. But I pulled through somehow. Prayers from different countries helped, and if we pray he will be fully recovered.

ProudPalinFan on December 31, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Good4Onan on December 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Charles “No” Johnson sock puppet. Bragged about this idiotic comment over there at the lizard asylum.

daesleeper on December 31, 2009 at 2:21 PM

“The people calling for Rush Limbaugh to die are the same people who ask to control your healthcare.” – LDoren

This should be yelled from the rooftops till we see it in the MSM!

MechEng5by5 on December 31, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Great post Ed and I really appreciate your posting a picture of Rush in his present slimmer condition. I cannot imagine going into 2010 without Rush in it! I have faith that Rush will get through this and continue his impressive tenure behind the Golden Microphone!

Conservalicious on December 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM

ProudPalinFan on December 31, 2009 at 2:19 PM

He said he was doing the treadmill for thirty minutes, twice a day. I don’t know if he has kept it up but he said it on his show a while back.

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Thanks for the insightful words, Ed. Godspeed to Rush. I just love that man – not in a restraining order kind of way – just in a love to hear what he has to say way! Also, wishing a Blessed and Happy New Year to all the good people on HotAir.
Stay strong America!

redwhiteblue on December 31, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Thanks Ed…

… and Rusty, if your reading this, get well soon. We are all praying for you.

Seven Percent Solution on December 31, 2009 at 2:50 PM

The left will pray (ooops!) that something bad does happen to Rush -but if it does they’ll treat him just like one of their own -Pauy Wellstone -they’ll throw another party.
The culture of death is their training ground.

Don L on December 31, 2009 at 2:52 PM

we need him more now than ever

hey ed, you really need to apologize and retract this comment:

“Again, this is a problem which plagues both sides of the political divide”

PLEASE. lumping the two together is both insulting and stupid

ted kennedy – even though he was a lowlife scumbad who had a big hand in destroying this country, when he died there was none of the blog vitriol hatred being spewed like there is on the left now about RUSH.

that comment really pisses me off. and unless i see some kind of retraction from “ed”, im done reading his posts. and since im already done reading allahpundits posts because he/she is such an asshole, i would be done with hot air.

and also, some poster wrote that rush told the paramedic that he took a painkiller – DONT POST NONESENSE IF YOU DONT HAVE A LINK TO BACK IT UP. you dont know he said that. i have not heard that anywhere.

sidewinder22 on December 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM

This has probably been said, but you ever notice when the MSM does a story on Rush that they use a photo from a heavier time? Not the thinner, suave looking Rush in your photo. No, they choose the most unflattering photo available. Just sayin’

bakediggity on December 31, 2009 at 3:03 PM

As I have been extremely busy … I thank Ed for his story and letting us know about Rush.

It reminds me about when my father had a heart attack when I was 13 yrs old did CPR on his and had to drive him to the hospital, because we couldn’t get a hold of my mom and I wasn’t leaving my brother alone with the neighbors. Very scarey.

Any chest like problems scare me. If anyone hold up their hand to their chest and throat area, I ask them if they are okay… even if they give me this look like I am out of my mind.

I hope it will be explained. Nothing extreme like bypass surgury. Good Luck Rush.

upinak on December 31, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Get well Rush. Stay well Ed. You too Allah. Michelle too. Happy New Year.

Mr. Joe on December 31, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Get well soon, Rush. The country needs you now more than ever.

So Cal Jim on December 31, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I am praying for you, Rushbo.

JKahn913 on December 31, 2009 at 3:09 PM

we need him now more than ever

but “ed” really needs to retract or apologize for this comment – “Again, this is a problem which plagues both sides of the political divide”

DONT EVER COMPARE ME WITH THE LOWLIFE LEFT. comparing the two sides is both insulting and stupid

as big of a lowlife scumbad ted kennedy was, there was none of the vicious vitriol hatred coming from the right like there is now from the left about rush. “ed”, go read some of their posts and mabey you’ll retract that comment.

“ed”, i already stopped reading allapundants post because he’s such a douchebag. i dont want to have to do the same for you

and another thing – there was a poster who wrote that rush told a paramedic that he took a pain pill. DONT POST CRAP LIKE THAT UNLESS YOU HAVE LINK. you dont know he said that. thats very lame to put that out there without proof

sidewinder22 on December 31, 2009 at 3:14 PM

double posted because i didnt think it took the first time

sidewinder22 on December 31, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Godspeed El Rushbo!

Ted Torgerson on December 31, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Get well soon Rush! My prayers are with you and your loved ones.

DanaSmiles on December 31, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Opiod addicts can take pain meds if really needed, we just have to be EXTREMELY careful of their pull. It is not a thing I would wish on my worst enemy. I had to take some recently and I was terrified when I ran out. I threw up for 2 days. Its tough.

di butler on December 31, 2009 at 3:25 PM

I hope he is able to get out of Hawaii as soon as he can.

JellyToast on December 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM

White House reporter David Corn tried to strike a balance, urging restraint while pointing out the lack of the same that Limbaugh displayed as Ted Kennedy fought for his life.

So many things wrong with this sentence starting with the idea that a far left pundit is called a “reporter” rather than socialist mouthpiece. It’s also a complete lie that Rush Limbaugh was out there cheerleading Teddy Kennedy’s death. This crap belongs in the same genre with Wikipedia which actually declared Rush Limbaugh dead (why anyone reads Wiki is beyond understanding).

With that said, Prayers to Rush and his loved ones. Get well soon. The 2010 conservative rout of radicals wouldn’t be the same without you there reporting from the front lines in the fight for freedom and the overthrow of the tyrants running and ruining this nation.

highhopes on December 31, 2009 at 3:30 PM

A lot of sanctimonious outrage at lefty commenters here. When many here were cheering at news of Ted Kennedy’s brain tumor, making tasteless jokes about it, and often actually wishing for his death, I said that I would remind everyone of it the next time someone on our side of the aisle fell ill. So, that’s what I’m doing.

Very few people here have any moral credibility to complain now, because at the time they tacitly approved of the very same behavior right here. Unfortunately, this is what passes as normal now, and some if you are as responsible as anyone else. Get over yourselves, and EVERYONE stop “other-izing” people you disagree with.

DaveS on December 31, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Rush is a very good man and he is in my prayers.

God bless him and all of you here in the New Year.

Elisa on December 31, 2009 at 3:38 PM

“…it’s a common problem on both sides of the political divide, and we all know it.”

Sorry, but this is just false. It makes for a nice “everybody does it” sort of relativism that may help deflate tensions but the left has far more hate-drenched kooks who look for any opportunity to let loose with the worst things they can think of. I’ve lived most of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area and, believe me, there are plenty of libs who are eager to one up each other in the psychotic vitriol department.

Django on December 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Get well and come back to us soon, Rush. We love you!

Key West Reader on December 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM

DaveS = dishonest liberal moby

Django on December 31, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Praying for you Rush. Get well soon!

NYconservative on December 31, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Monica on December 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM

????
What were they thinking?

Tom_OC on December 31, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Same in my hometown. Now instead of him I get Dennis Miller; still Neal Boortz precede, and Sean at 3 pm. It was said that Rush people asked for more money and that’s why they cut him off. Now I am a Dittohead (a.k.a., RushBaby); before I streamed online thru ‘puter or the Touch. Yeah, I saw how uncomfortable it was for him before leaving. Crap.

ProudPalinFan on December 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM

As I said last night~NO ONE cares what these mattress stains have to say!

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Have libtrolls been elevated to mattress stains while I wasn’t looking? I thought they reproduced by fission like all other malignant bacteria.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on December 31, 2009 at 3:50 PM

DaveS on December 31, 2009 at 3:37 PM

You don’t have a clue what you are posting. What I rally hate about liberals is the way they feel compelled to become holier than thou when somebody like Teddy Kennedy dies and completely ignore the hypocrisy of the way they responded to the deaths of somebody like Ronald Reagan or Strom Thurmond. You and those of your ilk have no moral superiority to be a preachy saint unless you also spoke out when your side does this stuff. I’m sure you didn’t so you have no right to set yourself up as arbiter of civility today.

highhopes on December 31, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I see no problem with leftys talking smack about Rush and hoping he dies. That just demonstrates that they want him removed from the arena of ideas because they can’t beat his arguments and he gets under their skin. Good for Rush.

On the other hand, I hope as many people as possible get to hear Rachel Maddow and Ed Shultz. I’m not worried about them changing the minds of reasonable people. I’m convinced Maddow and Shultz will repel most Americans and so I welcome them to the arena of ideas where they will be defeated over and over again.

Meremortal on December 31, 2009 at 4:07 PM

God Bless You Rush! My thoughts and prayers are with you and we are all anxiously waiting for you to get back behind the golden EIB mic!

tbear44 on December 31, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Not to nitpick, but there has not been any news that Rush had a heart attack. Just that he had chest discomfort, which can be any number of things without even considering the heart.

He’s been having massive back pains for the past few weeks, and he was golfing.

Enoxo on December 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM

You are correct. I have muscular pains in my back and flank that cause refereed pains in my chest from time to time. I know what it is, that is why I don’t run to the ER when I feel a pain in my chest.

Of coarse I went to my GP who ordered a stress test to ensure it was in fact not a heart attack.

Rush has been in much pain the last few weeks, so it may simply be that. Always better to be safe than sorry until you know what it is, and what it isn’t.

RobertInLexington on December 31, 2009 at 9:04 AM

You are absolutely right. I have really bad arthritis, as well as a thyroid condition, that over the years has caused me to have many muscle spams. Mostly in my legs or back though.

Back in 1997 though, I had massive chest pains, got dizzy, couldn’t breath, left arm went numb, all of the signs. Spent a couple of days in the hospital. BTW, nitro gave me a headache so bad it to a bunch of morphine to kill it!

Long story short, a stress test showed no problem. Before I found the right endocrinologist, and got a handle on the thyroid, I had a few more of these over the years, some bad enough to literally knock you down.

I pray you are on the right track here.

Rush is a good man. He’s a true patriot, and a true inspiration.

He’s one of my real heroes. Hope he gets well soon.

gary4205 on December 31, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Highhopes, I did speak out when “my side” (ie commenters on Hotair) did this stuff, when Ted Kennedy was dying and continue to do so now–which was the entire point of my comment and which seemed to go over your head. Pretending that I’m on the “other-side” does not make the problem go away, and in fact you are exhibiting exactly the sort of behavior that is the problem… you disagree with me (or want what I say to not be true) so you attempt to “otherize” me.

Ironically, if someone on the left spoke out there as I have and am here, they would likely be treated exactly as you are trying to treat me now–called names and baselessly associated with The Other. That’s my point, “you” (and, apparently, you) are the yin to their yang, their mirror image, and neither you nor your counterparts on the left actually see it when your own “side” does it… When it’s pointed out, you just rationalize it away.

Those wishing I’ll on Limbaugh are your breathren, and you are the problem.

DaveS on December 31, 2009 at 4:14 PM