Prayers for a friend

posted at 8:48 am on December 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday’s news that Rush Limbaugh was hospitalized in serious condition with chest pains produced a wide variety of political responses, which is entirely to be expected.  After all, we know politics ain’t beanbag, and Rush is as tough as they come in this business.  Anyone who outboxes not one but two Presidents over a twenty-year career doesn’t need anyone expressing outrageous outrage over the fact that some people don’t like him and won’t wish him well under any circumstances, and I’d bet that doesn’t bother Rush one single bit anyway.  (Besides which, it’s a common problem on both sides of the political divide, and we all know it.)

I have a different perspective on Rush, based on our very first interaction, which had nothing at all to do with politics.  Rush allowed me to share this story over three years ago when it happened, and I’d like to share it with Hot Air readers now while asking them to pray for a speedy recovery for Rush.

====

June 18, 2006
A Correspondent To Thank

I have received many e-mails and comments on my back injury and recuperation from [Captain's Quarters] readers, giving me their personal stories and advice based on their own experiences, and I have found all of it tremendously helpful. I have been grateful for all of the correspondence, but I would like to acknowledge one correspondent whose personal story and outreach to me touched me very deeply, especially considering his experiences with his own difficulties.

I wrote last week about the excruciating pain that the disc rupture caused and the painkillers that doctors prescribed to ease the situation. Some of you wrote to caution me about Vicodin and Percocet and their addictive qualities. One person in particular wrote to me about his own addiction, and in particular gave me solid advice on physiological conditions that would indicate an addictive response from my body. Given the very public nature of his addiction, his note had one hell of a lot of impact on the decisions I have made this week.

That man is Rush Limbaugh.

I know that some people think that conservatives all take orders from Rush, but we’re really not that lucky. I have corresponded with Rush’ staff on a couple of occasions where they wanted to quote my blog — they are extremely scrupulous about asking permission — but other than that, I have never written directly to Rush nor him to me. He read my post and wanted to make sure that I took precautions with pain medication in order to avoid the problems that he faced in very public (and very overblown) fashion.

It takes a special kind of person to reach out in those circumstances to a man unknown to him just to help protect that man from a danger he might not see. That correspondence informed my decisions in the hospital to hold down my pain medication and to transfer to Ibuprofen as soon as possible. I’ve been fortunate; my pain since the surgery has allowed me to rely on the over-the-counter analgesic instead of the Vicodin and Percocet. Had I never heard from Rush, I might not have had the discipline to make that decision.

All conservative writers and radio hosts, even those who do radio as a hobby and political writing as an avocation, owe a professional debt to Rush for his pioneering efforts in creating and expanding the market for conservative communications. I owe a very personal debt to Rush — and I thank him for his thoughtful and timely personal advice.

=====

As I said before, politics is a tough business, and we all sometimes fall into the trap of making arguments personal.  We often forget that the people we either hail or deride are human beings, with virtues and foibles not unlike our own.  I offer this not as a remonstration to anyone, but just as a way to give people a personal perspective on a man who has become a friend and a mentor over the years, and whose generosity and spirit may not be as widely known as his opinions.  Say a prayer for Rush and for his family, and if you can’t do it for the political commentator, do it for the friend.

Get well soon, Rush.

Update: A commenter rightly points out that the “heart attack” was an early assumption, not confirmed.  I’ve edited the first paragraph accordingly.

Update II: Tommy Christopher notes the good, the bad, and the ugly of the response so far.  Again, this is a problem which plagues both sides of the political divide, and Tommy’s piece takes a fair look at it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Prayers sent last night and will continue until he’s back home and fighting fit.

Wethal on December 31, 2009 at 8:50 AM

atta guy, Ed.
Get well soon, Rush.

james23 on December 31, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Get well, Rush.

Rode Werk on December 31, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Thanks for posting this. And yes, get well quickly, Rush. Not because we need you, but for yourself.

MainelyRight on December 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Christ I hope its nothing serious …..it would please to many liberals

Aggie95 on December 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM

I have been listening to The Man since he burst on the scene. He created a new radio format and saved AM Radio. Even when 2 Presidents of the United States tried to attack him, he did not falter and kept his good cheer. God Bless You, Rush. Keep fighting the Good Fight.

kingsjester on December 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Nice post, Ed.

Stay strong Rush. Get well soon.

austinnelly on December 31, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I have a strong feeling Rush will pull through. My prayers go out to him, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

chunderroad on December 31, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Yesterday’s news that Rush Limbaugh had a heart attack…

Not to nitpick, but there has not been any news that Rush had a heart attack. Just that he had chest discomfort, which can be any number of things without even considering the heart.

He’s been having massive back pains for the past few weeks, and he was golfing.

Enoxo on December 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Mega dittos!

javamartini on December 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I posted last night on Facebook that I was praying for Rush and about what had happened. It’s amazing to see self-righteous people who’ve obviously never listened to Rush challenge me on it. Very disappointing.

AubieJon on December 31, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Patients with chest pain are often hospitalized overnight to run blood tests to check enzymes to see if the DID have a “heart attack”. I’d think we will know the whole story 30 minutes into Rush’s show, hopefully from the man himself.

Marcus on December 31, 2009 at 8:58 AM

very nice

rob verdi on December 31, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Great post Ed.
Prayers for a speedy and full recovery for Rush limbaugh. May God continue to bless him and watch over him as well as you Ed.
We’re blessed to have Rush as our spokesman for conservatism may he continue to have another two decades of excellence in broadcast.

cubachi on December 31, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Thank you for sharing that, Ed! I think Rush is wonderful, and I hope he listens to his Dr.’s and comes back to us quickly/

anniekc on December 31, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Christ I hope its nothing serious …..it would please to many liberals

Aggie95 on December 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Stop worrying about what liberals think feel. Trust me, you’ll be a happier person. :-)

SouthernGent on December 31, 2009 at 8:59 AM

He’s been having massive back pains for the past few weeks, and he was golfing.

Enoxo on December 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Good point Enoxo

MainelyRight on December 31, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Rush, get well soon. Praying for you! We need you!

deidre on December 31, 2009 at 8:59 AM

He is just looking for birth records at the hospital.Move along nothing to see here!

tim c on December 31, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Prayers are ascending, dear friend.

OmahaConservative on December 31, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Nice post, Ed.

Prayers for Rush.

ladyingray on December 31, 2009 at 9:00 AM

This post from Ed just confirms what a sweet, sincere guy Rush is; thanks for sharing Ed.

Get well soon Rush- for your sake and ours. We need you and I personally adore you, you lovable little fuzzball.

Monica on December 31, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Prayers for Rush.

Gothguy on December 31, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Get well soon, Rush! We’re all praying for your fast recovery.

Kissmygrits on December 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Get well soon, Rush.

We need you.

rbj on December 31, 2009 at 9:03 AM

There’s very little I disagree with Rush on. He speaks my mind for me pretty much everytime I listen to him. The lefties would say I get my “talking points” from him, rather Rush only reinforces what I believe already, letting me know I’m not the only one who thinks that way.

Speedy recovery Rush. We need the light of truth and the voice of reason for at least 3 more years. Mega Dittoes…

adamsmith on December 31, 2009 at 9:03 AM

He’s been having massive back pains for the past few weeks, and he was golfing.

Enoxo on December 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM

You are correct. I have muscular pains in my back and flank that cause refereed pains in my chest from time to time. I know what it is, that is why I don’t run to the ER when I feel a pain in my chest.

Of coarse I went to my GP who ordered a stress test to ensure it was in fact not a heart attack.

Rush has been in much pain the last few weeks, so it may simply be that. Always better to be safe than sorry until you know what it is, and what it isn’t.

RobertInLexington on December 31, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Nice post, Ed. Thanks. Like Rush, you are a genuinely good person.

Based on how often he references your writing, Rush is a pretty regular reader.

I have a New Year’s prediction: Rush will host you at one of his (Allen Brothers steak) dinner parties in 2010.

petefrt on December 31, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Prayin’ for Rush . . .

WannabeAnglican on December 31, 2009 at 9:07 AM

maybe some sort of acid reflux which made him think he had chest pains

hopefully thats what it is

blatantblue on December 31, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Might be a good time for all of us to step it up a little. The big guy may need a little help for a while.

huckleberryfriend on December 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Rush will be on the mic Monday morning SHREDDING the WH and Dems on HCR.

Can’t wait!

artist on December 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I have listened to Rush for about 20 years and find him entertaining and informative. Having said that, you cannot lose 90 pounds in six months without wreaking havoc on your cardio vascular system. Sure, I’m not a doctor, but I read a lot. (See: Karen Carpenter)

Get well, Maha Rushie.

BigAlSouth on December 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Mega dittos on the prayers. Go to Rush’s website for a statement:

Rush was standing during his last few shows because of the pain.

uber-con on December 31, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Rush helps make the “fight” worth fighting for all conservatives.

Get well Rush!

gophergirl on December 31, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Rush says he’s not going anywhere until everyone agrees with him. Rush, you’ve still got a lot of work to do! May God bless you with a full and speedy recovery.

parteagirl on December 31, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Great post, Ed. Thank you.
And, to Rush~been praying hard for a speedy recovery~I will continue to pray for you, for our brave troops, and for our great country!
We need you to lead us through these dark days~2010 will be epic and we await your return to the golden EIB microphone!

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 9:12 AM

It’s really touching that Rush is paying attention to others and willing to share the possible pitfalls of shared situations. I listen to talk radio all day long and although I admire everyone for their individual talents, Rush is the only one that I agree with 100%, or more accurately 98.8% of the time. As to the other side of the aisle and their reactions, I can’t look. I don’t want to think badly of my fellow humans.

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2009 at 9:13 AM

God bless Rush Limbaugh.

Things happen for a reason. Reports of sympathy for the boogieman may open peoples’ minds to hear some conservative common sense.

Of first import though, get well soon.

exdeadhead on December 31, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Nice post, Ed! Get well soon Rush!

becki51758 on December 31, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Hello Ed,

Thanks for sharing the insight into this wonderful man Rush. I will continue wishing him the best and praying for his quick recovery. He will beat this, as he says, ‘with half a brain tied behind my back!’

God bless!

OneConservative on December 31, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Rush, get better soon. We need you in the fight coming this year. Many, many prayers are going up for you. And thanks for all that you do. I started listening in ’92 to get me through the Clinton years, and I’ve been a loyal fan ever since. Nobody is as keen at slicing and dicing the opposition (whichever side of the aisle) as you are. Mega dittos, Maha Rushie!

theotherone on December 31, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I was sitting in my father-in-law’s living room when I read about Rush’s hospitalization. I announced it to the room knowing that my Liberal sister-in-law would have a positive reaction to the bad news.

Sure enough she made a snide comment about it being related to his overuse of pain killers. My reply was that no one will know if pain killers are going to have the same fate on Rush Limbaugh that they had on John Kennedy but we could all hope not.

watson007 on December 31, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Perhaps tangential, but regarding the evil thoughts expressed by some liberals over Rush’s recent chest pains, I wonder how the right side of the political spectrum would react if Obama experienced chest pains and was hospitalized?

While there might be a few misguided souls who offer incautious remarks, one believes that, for all of the political enmity we feel for the president, we would wish him well and that he recover quickly.

Or at least that’s what I feel. I mean, how can one not feel that way with Joe Biden waiting in the wings?

VoyskaPVO on December 31, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Thanks for posting this Ed…
May God continue to bless the great Rush Limbaugh.

Keemo on December 31, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I’ve been listening to Rush for nearly 20 years and have been a devoted student at the Center for Advanced Conservative Studies.

Rush helped put me on the blog map when read an item of mine on the air a couple years ago. I still get a kick out of that.

Get well, Rush. We need you to help lead the battle in 2010 and beyond.

JammieWearingFool on December 31, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Rush Limbaugh Hospitalized: Liberal grassroots express glee

davidk on December 31, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Maybe he’s really just sneaking in to get to Obama’s birth cert.

I’m JUST KIDDING.

Prayers for Rush! I hope you are well and that this is NOT a heart attack!

bridgetown on December 31, 2009 at 9:25 AM

My prayers are with him and his family.

grapeknutz on December 31, 2009 at 9:26 AM

HEY RUSH!!

Get well soon. We love you. What you started as a tiny snowball has morphed into an avalanche ready to descend on the liberals’ heads. YOU DID THAT! You accomplished what you set out to do.

God bless you for that, and many other things.

Your pal,
JiangxiDad

P.S. Only you could make the really important news coming out of Hawaii this week :)

JiangxiDad on December 31, 2009 at 9:27 AM

History will show that Rush Limbaugh was the bridge between the last great conservative president and the next great conservative president.

However, it’s not time to consign Rush to the history books just yet. There is still so much to be done.

Glad to hear you’re doing a little bit better, Big Fella. Our thoughts and prayers are with you in your recovery, and we’re looking forward to getting you back on the front lines of the ongoing battle…

Nat Hound on December 31, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Rush Limbaugh Hospitalized: Liberal grassroots express glee

davidk on December 31, 2009 at 9:24 AM

As I said last night~NO ONE cares what these mattress stains have to say!

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Mega prayers coming your way Rush!
I pray to God that you will have a full recovery and return to the golden mic soon.
We miss you Rush! May God bless you!

InquiringMind on December 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

We need Rush around for the next 3 yrs of this idiot in office. Please get well Rush!

xler8bmw on December 31, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Thank you, Ed, for sharing your personal experience with Rush. You reaffirm what many of us know – Rush is more than a voice on the radio. He is a kind person and a wonderful human being.

El Rushbo: Get better soon! Millions of people are praying for you – I know you can feel it!

Mark Boabaca on December 31, 2009 at 9:29 AM

As I said last night~NO ONE cares what these mattress stains have to say!

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Thank you for the laugh!

Mark Boabaca on December 31, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Man when I saw the headline for this I feared the worst. Gave me a little scare thinking he passed away overnight.

clement on December 31, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Get well soon Rush, God bless you!

Richard Romano on December 31, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Get well soon Maha Rushie!

jbtripp on December 31, 2009 at 9:36 AM

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

*snicker

ladyingray on December 31, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I will definitely be praying for Rush. I don’t get to hear him as much as I once did, but I am long-time listener.

telemwill on December 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Ditto Heads everywhere are praying for you today

WyoMike on December 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM

God bless you Rush! I just heard the news this morning and was so worried–I am glad to hear that you are now resting comfortably and that thank God you are still with us. We’ll be praying for you–I’m certain a lot of churches will be running out of candles because of you.

Talent on loan from God indeed–glad to see he doesn’t want it back yet.

Niere on December 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Just heard about this on the radio this morning.

A speedy recovery to you, Rush – and God bless you and yours!

Midas on December 31, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Come on,Rush! Get well soon!

We need you to lead the charge when we take control of the Congress out of the hands of Pelosi and Reid in Novermber 2010!

We need you to continue to send the insane asylum talk show hosts at MSNBC up the wall!

We need you to keep making B.O. break out in a cold damp sweat at the mere mention of your name!

Most important, Rush, WE NEED YOU!!!!!

You get well, dude!!!! You get well soon!!!

pilamaye on December 31, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Godspeed Rush. We love you!

American Elephant on December 31, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Beaming you white light, Maha Rushie, and an epic new year as the icon of conservatism and “last man standing.”

Thanks for sharing this, Ed, it just reaffirms the admiration all of us have for El Rushbo.

sabu on December 31, 2009 at 9:46 AM

As I said last night~NO ONE cares what these mattress stains have to say!

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

You owe me a keyboard!!!

Get well soon Rush-baby–we all love you!

lovingmyUSA on December 31, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Thanks for the wonderful post Ed. At another more appropriate time, a post about the potential dangers of becoming dependant or addicted to prescription medication would be great. I’ve seen sadly far too much of it.

But for now, get well soon Rush!

Careful you don’t let any of those tonsil-rustlers get away with anything!

DrAllecon on December 31, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Rush, get well soon! We are praying for you!

Kjeil on December 31, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Get well soon, Rush, we need you now, more than ever!

PatMac on December 31, 2009 at 9:50 AM

I am not surprised, Ed, that he would reach out to you. After listening to Rush for almost 20 years he is like family at our house. In fact some in the family aren’t as close to us as Rush is. Conservatives are “family” as far as I am concerned. I know Rush’s mind like I know my husband’s or my own. Likewise he knows yours and ours as well. That is why he is so successful. He just says it better than I ever could. Same with Sarah. She says what we all think, but now she has a microphone, too.

Get well, soon, Rush. We love you like family and make sure you follow the doctor’s orders for a little while, anyway.

BetseyRoss on December 31, 2009 at 9:51 AM

We love you, Rush. Please get well soon and get back behind that golden EIB microphone ASAP!

Lizzy on December 31, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I started listening to Rush in the early 1990′s-and since I’ll be 40 in 2010…it means that I’ve been listening to Rush-bo pretty much my entire adulthood.
Get well so Sir-we need you in this battle.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I wonder if the hospital he is in is surprised at the public reaction?

Cindy Munford on December 31, 2009 at 9:54 AM

One of the most unjust things about the way Rush is protrayed is that he is painted as a selfish, greedy, heartless bastard, and that isn’t at all true. It just fits the narrative for liberals.

This is one of the areas we need to focus on as conservatives – to explode the myth about “kind” liberals and “mean” conservatives. The opposite is true.

disa on December 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I spend 3 hours a day, 5 days a week with the man. I love him. Praying for a speedy return to good health, Rush.

God Bless you.

David2.0 on December 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

This ditto-head wishes you well and will be praying for you Rush.

fourdeucer on December 31, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Hang tough Rush, get well soon.

Hog Wild on December 31, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Thoughts and prayers indeed.
It must be terrible to have chronic pain- Rush losing all that weight may have been in regard to putting less strain on his back, etc.
Ironic that him and Waffles are in the same place.

jjshaka on December 31, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Woke up this morning and just found out about this. My wife and I prayed right away! We love you Rush!
My wife is an RN and works in the cardiac unit. She said, today, people can live another 30-40 years after a heart attack. Medicine and technology have come a long way!
May God be with him!

JellyToast on December 31, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Godspeed, Rush! Get well soon.

Sgt. Hartman on December 31, 2009 at 10:00 AM

May the Lord grant you a speedy recovery and a timely return to the airwaves RUSH. Your talents, “on loan from God”, are still needed in these trying times.

Rovin on December 31, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I’ll be 40 in 2010

annoyinglittletwerp on December 31, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Same here. Sure makes keeping counting easy, doesn’t it?

Mark Boabaca on December 31, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Mega-ditto-prayers, Rush!

Praying for a swift recovery!

rebuzz on December 31, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Sure makes keeping counting

Speaking is another story entirely!

Mark Boabaca on December 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Rush Limbaugh Hospitalized: Liberal grassroots express glee

It is funny that the libs always say us conservatives are just full of hate. I read what some of the Liberal had to post about Rush, pure hate and vile.

Rush my family is praying for you big guy, may God Bless and keep you well.

Teleycoman on December 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM

DAILY KOS KOMMENTS: “I hope he sees death “/”I HOPE HIS KIDNEYS FAIL.. “/”I hope it’s nothing trivial… “/”I hope that fat f****r dies today. Perfect way to start the New Year “/”I hope he dies and I’m glad he’s sick.”/”I hope he’s on his way DOWN to meet his maker.”….(THIS IS JUST A SMALL SAMPLING).

sbvft contributor on December 31, 2009 at 10:03 AM

God bless you Rush. You are in the thoughts and prayers of myself and my family.

shawno on December 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM

sbvft contributor on December 31, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Dude~like Rachel Madcow’s middle finger, Jeanine Garafalo’s toilet seat, Michael Moore’s underwear, and Keith Olbermann’s bathtub ring, NO ONE wants to hear or even THINK about what these liberal nutcups are doing or thinking or smelling or spewing.

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 9:28 AM

You’re welcome.

davidk on December 31, 2009 at 10:08 AM

All the best, Rush.

Looking forward to your return.

BTW – nice piece, Ed. It speaks well of you.

[O/T] Earthquake on the US/Mexico Border [Cali region].

CPT. Charles on December 31, 2009 at 10:10 AM

HornetSting on December 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Hey, Hornet, tell us how you really feel! Don’t hold back! LOL

You’re killing me this morning…

ladyingray on December 31, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Thank you Jesus. Rush doesn’t have to face Obamacare, death panels and rationing. If you need a little cardio work up, now is the time before the destroyer takes over. I am sure like the do not fly list, there will be political decisions on who gets “preferred care”
Sure glad he isn’t in Canadia or the U.K. waiting 100 days to see a cardiologist.

seven on December 31, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I like Rush, just don’t get to listen to him much. I wish him well and a life free of pain.

sbvft contributor on December 31, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Yea, like Ed says, we knew that was coming. God help them. God help anyone who wishes things like that. It’s bipartisan though, I’ve seen comments here like that too.

scalleywag on December 31, 2009 at 10:12 AM

LORD bless Rush and complete his healing.

We’re not ready for a Rush-less world yet.

Mojave Mark on December 31, 2009 at 10:13 AM

hahah, I struck out my own comment. Need more coffee.

scalleywag on December 31, 2009 at 10:13 AM