Choose the Obamateurism of the Year!

posted at 8:05 am on December 31, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve been highlighting the amateurish stumbles of our new President since March, and now it’s time for Hot Air readers to pick the Obamateurism of the Year!  Over the next few days, I’ll offer polls in different brackets (or “flights”) of previous Obamateurism of the Week winners, and you’ll pick the winners between five or six selections in a new poll each day, except Christmas.  I also hand-selected a few second-place winners in a second-chance bracket, which will run next week.  After we’ve narrowed down to eight finalists, Hot Air readers will select the OOTY!

And now we have the final poll ready for Hot Air readers on the last day of the year — the Embarrassing Eight!

I’ll have a special post on this tomorrow, when the poll closes. This should be a tough decision indeed!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think the SEIU:McChrystal ratio probably says the most and/or offers the best insight into Hopey’s true nature. Its significance can’t be overstated, says that pattern makes clear his function is merely to operate as a puppet for his handlers. They put him in our White House, so he will do their bidding.
However, I think the vile ‘shout outs’ are more emblematic as a ‘Obamateurism,’ because he is too stupid and arrogant to have realized what he was showing the world by placing higher value on his Cool than on our nation.
Giving his handlers unlimited access to the reigns was deliberate, intentional and was a planned act from the beginning of his eternal campaign. His blatant and frequent disrespect of our citizens and our country as a whole is (mostly) unintentional because he still needs to be liked enough for the uninformed to cede their freedom to his unprecedented intellect.

Tom_OC on December 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM

It revealed his character and priorities about national security.

He doesn’t take it very seriously.

keebs on December 31, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Exactly. His behavior not only showed his lack of feeling for his own troops, it revealed his inability to even fake empathy of some sort. He’s got a hole in his soul.

Lightswitch on December 31, 2009 at 12:25 PM

So hard to decide, but I ended up going with the idiotic shout outs…. But I all ready regret not voting for abandoning Poland.

I’m afraid that next year’s choices will be even harder…

darkpixel on December 31, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I think it was an easy call. The most egregious, amateurish action by these rodeo clowns has been their inexcusable and costly fiscal incoherence. Security accrues from prosperity and they have ensured that we will not enjoy anything like the standard of living for at least a generation and also that we will be on the defensive for the foreseeable future. All the while, mouthing the word, “responsible” as some sort of magical incantation that will make their gluttonous governance seem austere.

MJBrutus on December 31, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I’m afraid that next year’s choices will be even harder…

darkpixel on December 31, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Understatement.
Be afraid. Very afraid.
And informed.

Tom_OC on December 31, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Understatement.
Be afraid. Very afraid.
And informed.

An understatement.
Be afraid. Very afraid.
You must stay informed.

That last post of mine begged to be reposted in the form of a haiku.
Kinda disappointed I was so close the first time without seeing it.
Flippin’ decaf!!

Tom_OC on December 31, 2009 at 12:57 PM

The half-white half-wit currently occupying 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is proof positive that Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Obama is the Obamateurism of the Year!

Bubba Redneck on December 31, 2009 at 1:06 PM

boy, that is one depressing list…nothing funny about this poll.

Let’s see, common thread: an admixture of arrogance, disdain, and carelessness….and of course a big dash of not having professional people counsel him on the role of President.

Too bad.

r keller on December 31, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Two minutes of shout-outs before addressing the Fort Hood terrorist attack at a press conference. I heard that live while listening to talk radio and it blew my mind. I will never forget that. It will forever be my impression of Maobama – sheer ignorance, arrogance and cold-hearted contempt for our heroes in uniform. He has a heart of stone and a head full of rocks.

Philly on December 31, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I went with the trip to Copenhagen because I think it was one of only two with unintended outcomes, the other being the reference to the Cairo speech.

As angry or embarrassed or worried as I was over some of the other items in this slate, all the others fit with the leftists’ world view and values.

It’s a tough choice, and now I’m wishing I had gone with the Cairo item.

alice on December 31, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Nutting like ending the year on a bang!
If this is true, this is biggest FU, WTF were you thinking!!! Un F’ing believable!

The Politics of Incompetence

On December 26, two days after Nigerian Omar Abdulmutallab allegedly attempted to use underwear packed with plastic explosives to blow up the Amsterdam-to-Detroit flight he was on, and as it became clear internally that the Administration had suffered perhaps its most embarrassing failure in the area of national security, senior

Obama White House aides, including chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, David Axelrod and new White House counsel Robert Bauer, ordered staff to begin researching similar breakdowns — if any — from the Bush Administration.

“We were told that classified material involving anything related to al Qaeda operating in Yemen or Nigeria was fair game and that we’d declassify it if necessary.

So the long silence was due to research finding out is Bush ever $crewed the pooch this badly before?

Not to find out what went wrong.

DSchoen on December 31, 2009 at 2:00 PM

This is one of the hardest decisions I’ve made in a while – well, I actually haven’t made it yet. The bow bothered me, the shout-outs pissed me off, but the Polish blood in me boils when I remember how he threw Poland under the bus on that day.

This would be a lot more fun if it weren’t such a reminder of how plain awful our President is. It’s almost as if it’s unprecedented.

Anna on December 31, 2009 at 2:15 PM

DSchoen on December 31, 2009 at 2:00 PM

the way this year has turned out, not surprised in the least and they can’t see the problems they are creating

cmsinaz on December 31, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I chose “Warning on deficits and spending while pushing big-spending programs” for two reasons. First, in the long run, I think it’s the most dangerous thing he and his accomplices have done. Second, it’s the only one in the list that is blatantly hypocritical. The other choices are simply embarrassing and disappointing.

Bludgeon on December 31, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Tough choice, but I had to go with Fort Hood, for three reasons:

1) My personal runner-up was the bow to King Abdullah, but horrible as that was, it was early enough in his presidency that (despite his reprise to Japan later) you could chalk it up to stupidity. The Fort Hood shout-outs have no such excuse.

2) Though no one in the media will call it what it was, every American knows that the Fort Hood massacre was the first act of terrorism committed on American soil since September 11. The gravity of the offense stands out in the field.

3) This is the event, above all others, that opened the eyes of the former Obamabots I know. His total lack of feeling was the most revealing act of the year, and it may have been the beginning of the end for him.

Animator Girl on December 31, 2009 at 2:42 PM

I went with The Bow, as it’s a perfect visual representation of the guy, his beliefs and policies. Plus, the spin afterwards were obvious lies (he didn’t bow), another perfect example as to how this current admin operates – just flat out lie and those who don’t like it can suck it.

Amazing.

RedNewEnglander on December 31, 2009 at 2:48 PM

This was hard. Though I lean toward McChrystal and the shout outs I had to go with the bow. It was the bow seen round the world. It showed the rest of the world just who Obama is, how he will prostrate himself and America. Just as the shot heard round the world signalled the beginning of the revolution, the bow signalls the beginning of Obamas surrender and his new direction for this country.

atxcowgirl on December 31, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I thought of the most shameful thing he’s done, and I had to go with giving two minutes of shout-outs before addressing the Ft. Hood shooting. While a nation mourns the loss of their service men and women, they look to a commander in chief to point the way and lead. And instead, he gives shout-outs. Pathetic.

mauipundit on December 31, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I go with the Polish missiles; stabbing an ally of America in the back due to his left-wing ideology, and the amateurism that expected something reciprocal from Russia, shows us the mess he will get the USA into with the world over the next few years.

waelse1 on December 31, 2009 at 4:16 PM

O-scumbag giving shoutouts after American Soldiers are killed.

cold and calloused …

*******************

The following is just a fact and nothing more:

Liberal/Socialist/Commie/Marxists killed 100 million over the last century.

What?

father on December 31, 2009 at 4:23 PM

This one was hard, went with the shout outs.

El_Terrible on December 31, 2009 at 4:33 PM

The flights were easy, the final was very hard. So many pathetic actions, and only one vote. Since the vote for amatuerish action rather than bad policy (Poland), hidden beliefs (Bowing to Saudi price) or plain stupidity (take your pick) I went with the Gates debacle.

Obama had a perfect opening for post-racial leadership and behaved like an amatuer for over a week, managing to rub salt in the wounds on both sides of the racial divide.

Meremortal on December 31, 2009 at 6:46 PM

If by an Obamateurism you mean a really stupid mistake, then you utterly missed it.

It is BY FAR choosing to try KSM in NYC

It didn’t even make the list!!!!!

So I refuse to vote in this Iran-like FIXED election. LOL.

Danzo on December 31, 2009 at 6:50 PM

The “shout outs,” definitely.

The central themes of this administration are that American lives are cheap and that soldiers are primarily there to be used as props.

Y-not on December 31, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I went with #1 Obowmao, embarrassing, amaturish, and disgusting.

tbear44 on December 31, 2009 at 8:40 PM

“I planned to make some broader remarks,” he told the crowd. “But as some of you might have heard there has been a tragic shooting at the Fort Hood Army base in Texas.”

The following Soldiers and a civilian employee died Nov. 5 on Fort Hood of wounds suffered from small arms fire.

Lt. Col. Juanita L. Warman, 55, of Havre De Grace, Md. She was assigned to the 1908th Medical Company, Independence, Mo.

Maj. Libardo Caraveo, 52, of Woodbridge, Va. He was assigned to the 467th Medical Detachment, Madison, Wis.

Capt. John P. Gaffaney, 54, of San Diego, Calif. He was assigned to the 1908th Medical Company, Independence, Mo.

Capt. Russell Seager, 51, of Racine, Wis. He was assigned to the 467th Medical Company, Madison, Wis.

Staff Sgt. Justin Decrow, 32, of Plymouth, Ind. He was assigned to the 16th Signal Company, Fort Hood, Texas.

Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29, of Kiel, Wis. She was assigned to the 467th Medical Company, Madison, Wis.

Spc. Jason Hunt, 22, of Tillman, Okla. He was assigned to the 1st Brigade, Fort Hood, Texas.

Pfc. Frederick Greene, 29, of Mountain City, Tenn. He was assigned to the 16th Signal Company, Fort Hood, Texas.

Pfc. Aaron Nemelka, 19, of West Jordan, Utah. He was assigned to the 510th Engineer Company, 20th Engineer Battalion, Fort Hood, Texas.

Pfc. Michael Pearson, 22, of Bolinbrook, Ill. He was assigned to the 510th Engineer Company, 20th Engineer Battalion, Fort Hood, Texas.

Pfc. Kham Xiong, 23, of St. Paul, Minn. He was assigned to the 510th Engineer Company, 20th Engineer Battalion, Fort Hood, Texas.

Pvt. Francheska Velez, 21, of Chicago, Ill. She was assigned to the 15th Combat Support Battalion, Fort Hood, Texas.

Chief Warrant Officer, retired, Michael Cahill of Cameron, Texas. He was a civilian employee on Fort Hood.

Critics say that through both the tone and brevity of his remarks, Obama “did not appreciate the gravity of what he represents,” said Brad Blakeman, former deputy assistant to President George W. Bush

davo on December 31, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I rarely am surprised by politicians and their antics. But the Ft. Hood shout-out truly, truly appalled me.

AnninCA on December 31, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Palin’s take on Fort Hood massacre

davo on December 31, 2009 at 10:18 PM

This should be a tough decision indeed!

It was. I went with the “shout out” because it shows how utterly out of touch the administration is with reality. It was compounded this week when golfing was more important than dealing with the UndieBomber.

highhopes on December 31, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Giving two minutes of ‘shout-outs’ before addressing the terrorist attack that killed 14 (one soldier was pregnant) at Ft. Hood.

I was stunned by his aloof manner. I was shocked beyond words, then I hung my head and cried.

TN Mom on December 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM

The really sad thing is that there are so many credible candidates for Obama’s worst amateurism, including major screw-ups that don’t even make the cut because a list does have to have some limit . . .
`
And yet, even after this latest fiasco with the Knickerbomber where the staff wouldn’t interrupt Obama’s golf game to advise him of the attack although they awakened him with the news of the Nobel Peace Prize, with the “system worked” nonsense, the “isolated extremist” baloney, Obama has learned nothing at all. His people have been frantically searching classified records to find examples of screw-ups with terrorists in the Bush Administration. It’s all politics, all the time with them, and they are One Trick Ponies.
`
Like the Bourbons, he has learned nothing and forgotten nothing. It’s not encouraging. There will be no on-the-job learning curve like with Truman or JFK. No, this is Jimmy Carter’s hubris without even his level of competence. Obama is the ultimate comic foil, the classic empty suit – even in the Emperor’s new clothes! The guy and his gang of Ivy League leftist theorists can’t actually DO anything, and when their “reset” of foreign relations by concentric apology tours didn’t bring instant Peace on Earth, they were pretty much out of ideas.
`
We have at least one more year of unbridled Lefty rule in Washington. The question isn’t whether we face disaster; the only question is when.
`

Adjoran on January 1, 2010 at 2:23 AM

With a full mag and a target rich environment, what is first? Especially when your spotter says, “Holy cow! Fire at will!”

Caststeel on January 1, 2010 at 6:31 AM

With so many Obmateurisms, sometimes I wonder if his administration will be able to stay afloat in 2010. Would anyone agree that his last trump card is the economy? It just seems that he has spent so much political capital, this is the only “bright spot” that might hold him up as the economy is supposed to rebound. However, I feel this is where the media is propping up the President with their distortions on the economy so 2010 could be a very difficult year for POTUS.

gatorfanatic on January 1, 2010 at 7:23 AM

They’re all worthy.

The Ft. Hood response gets my click because it was emblematic of everything that Obama lacks as a leader. It was the moment that the average American got to know the real Obama. It will be a nail that he won’t be able to remove from his 2012 campaign coffin.

ElectricPhase on January 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Poland; Ft Hood told us he does not care, but we knew that. Ft Hood was abvout him; but we knew that too. Poland was about stabing a friend in the back. Poland will come to hurt the US in ways we cannot forsee. When we need help; who will stand with us knowing taht if Russia objects we will buckle. He bowed to the King of Saud, the Emperor of Japan, but he crumbled under Putin! This will hurt the US for years to come.

Dennis227 on January 1, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Bludgeon on December 31, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Well said.

That was my vote. The compounding deficit will drain the country of resources, including defense, and could lead to a more devastating set of circumstances. And yet, Obama talks out of both sides of his mouth, and he’s not being called on it by MSM.

Pazman on January 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM

November 2010 is 11 months away, reign the fool in, and cast him into the rubbish bin of history in November 012.

bayview on January 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM