Telegraph: The most conservative movie of the decade is…

posted at 8:22 pm on December 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’ve seen two of these, I think. Drumroll:

1. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Peter Weir, 2003)

Peter Weir’s unashamedly old-fashioned and visually stunning adaptation of Patrick O’Brian’s novel is one of the greatest odes to leadership ever committed to celluloid. Australian director Weir has made many terrific films, including Gallipoli, Dead Poets Society, The Year of Living Dangerously, and Witness, but Master and Commander was the pinnacle of his career so far. Nominated for 10 Oscars, including Best Picture, it should be essential viewing for any commander-in-chief. Russell Crowe delivers a powerhouse performance as Jack Aubrey, Captain of HMS Surprise, a British warship that hunts and ultimately captures a far larger French adversary during the Napoleonic Wars. Set in 1805, it is an epic tale of heroism and love for country in the face of incredible odds, and a glowing tribute to the grit and determination that forged the British Empire.

Every movie in Nile Gardiner’s top ten deals with war in one way or another except for one, and that one — The Dark Knight — is often read as allegorical about the war on terror and enhanced interrogation. Gardiner’s reasoning: “A central theme that runs through several of my top ten picks is the eternal conflict between good and evil, and why the forces of tyranny and despotism must be confronted and defeated. They include films that Barack Obama should watch as he contemplates appeasing the likes of Iran and North Korea, or turning a blind eye to mass murder in Burma, Sudan and Zimbabwe.”

Didn’t see number five on his list but he’s on very solid ground based on what I’ve heard from others. As for number ten, it was the subject of one of the all-time great hysterical leftist movie reviews, so he’s safe on that one too. The obligatory exit question: Have at it. Which ones did he forget?

Update: Ah, here’s a good one courtesy of a friend: “Hot Fuzz.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

conservative movie? “the Road” just released

mathewsjw on December 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Yes. Definitely a conservative rumination on what it’s like to raise children in a “fallen” world.

Robert_Paulson on December 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I guess, if that’s “conservative,” then why isn’t “Gods and Generals” on the list?

Robert_Paulson on December 30, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Speaking of that movie, did you notice Robert Byrd’s character? The most famous modern West Virginian is given a cameo about the Civil War and he chooses to play a Confederate general. That would be a little like giving Matt Damon a cameo in a Rev War movie as a Brit…

18-1 on December 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

OT, but…

Sources: Limbaugh Rushed To Honolulu Hospital
Conservative Radio Show Host Suffering From Chest Pains

HornetSting on December 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

aikidoka on December 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Me too. As well as Dark Knight and Rocky Balboa……And I have a three day weekend, guess what I`ll be doing! :)

ThePrez on December 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

The best flick of the decade, hands down, Band Of Brothers!

Major Dick Winters, you Sir, Easy, and all who answered the call,are HEROS!
M-14 2go on December 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

100%.

Robert_Paulson on December 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

amazing how much Conservatism in film comes out of hollywood

jp on December 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

18-1 on December 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. You gotta wonder what he was thinking. Oh wait….

Robert_Paulson on December 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM

The Iron Giant was much, much better. And missed this list by one year.

JetBoy on December 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Except it was anti guns. I had to apologize to my dad for showing it in his house. I didn’t know, I swear!

Rosmerta on December 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

ThePrez on December 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Excellent choices!

aikidoka on December 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I’d definitely put Pursuit of Happyness at number 1. In fact it was one of the most shocking movies of the decade, how it portrayed rich white guys as relatively nice people,like anyone else, didn’t play the race card at all, and showed that working your ass of…..works.

The Incredibles was almost as surprising. The father getting into an argument with his wife about the elementary school graduation, “They keep on coming up with new ways to celebrate mediocrity.” That blew me away when I heard it. And the father isn’t some typical dolt, but a fairly smart guy. The bad guys main mission is to make everyone equal, so no one is special. I mean, did Ayn Rand write this?

Dongemaharu on December 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

OT, but…

Sources: Limbaugh Rushed To Honolulu Hospital
Conservative Radio Show Host Suffering From Chest Pains

HornetSting on December 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Where did you get that from?

aikidoka on December 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I am suprised that nobody mentioned
The Great Raid, the DVD is worth it just for the Documentary about the Raid and the real men.
Katyn is about Polish solders and what the USSR did to them.
Flammen & Citronen based on a true story about Danish Resistance

Patricksp on December 30, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Glory

mizflame98 on December 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Second Hand Lions.

If you haven’t seen it, check it out.

perroviejo on December 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM

Ab absolute sleeper of a hit IMO as well. Never really paid much attention to any political overtones about it but it is a good story.

Yakko77 on December 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM

amazing how much Conservatism in film comes out of hollywood

jp on December 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Well consider what some movies would be like if given a leftwing revamp.

Aragorn goes to Morder to apologize to Sauron and give him back his ring…as a marriage proposal. Sauron is so taken with love that he changes from a flaming all-seeing eye to a happy, progressive all-seeing eye and promises to one day soon wither away the state…right after he creates the New Eastern Man. Oh, and they adopt Gollum.

The orcs forswear eating meat after a poetry jam session with the elves who agree not to be so lookist and intolerant of the greenskins.

The dwarves continue to be evil little capitalists and die due to underground global warming (and Balrogs). As Al Gore explains its like a million degrees in their caves due to CO2 emissions and greedy thoughts.

The hobbits for their part learn the lesson that standing up and fighting for yourself is wrong, and agree to submit to Sauron rule. He is kind enough to let them smoke dope when not tending his fields though.

Heck – I think I found the next James Cameron movie.

18-1 on December 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM

OT, but…

Sources: Limbaugh Rushed To Honolulu Hospital
Conservative Radio Show Host Suffering From Chest Pains

HornetSting on December 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM
Where did you get that from?

aikidoka on December 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Never mind, I see it is in the headlines :(

aikidoka on December 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Hilarious, self-deprecating, beta-RINO punchline of the post:

I’ve seen two of these, I think.

I’ve seen 7 of the 10 and almost all of the Honorable Mentions, and I don’t even consider myself a movie buff. Once again, Allah proves difficult to love.

Jaibones on December 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM

It never got good reviews, but “The Ultimate Gift” was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen from a story and moral perspective.

Fighton03 on December 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM

I would add the most recent Rambo installment to this list.

I need to see Master and Commander…

18-1 on December 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Robert Byrd’s Confederate role in Gods and Generals was even more interesting when you consider his history as a paid recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan.

Cylor on December 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Glory

mizflame98 on December 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

One of the best movies of all time, but it was made in 1989.

Knucklehead on December 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I would like to enter my vote for a great Conservative movie, Law Abiding Citizen. Guys wife and daughter get murdered, Justice System fails him and he gives both the killers and the System a true lesson in Justice.

SittingDeadRed on December 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM

New gory Rambo tells liberal Christians to stop helping corrupt countries. Good conservative movie.

Second Hand Lions is a less profane Gran Torino.

All these revenge movies you guys are listing are not conservative.

PrezHussein on December 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM

One of the most conservative movies/TV series I’ve seen in the last five years is Serenity/Firefly. You’ll have to watch all of it before you understand why I say so, but the portrayal of people running from a government bent on control of every last living breath is a major theme.

Mommynator on December 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM

How did “The Blindside” not eke out a place on the list at the last minute?,

princetrumpet on December 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Hillary the movie is probably #1 seeing how it got banned by the government

PrezHussein on December 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Anyway, The Iron Giant was much, much better. And missed this list by one year.

Don’t know about “much, much better”, but it was one heck of a movie, one of the best movies of the last ten years, “conservative” or not.

ExUrbanKevin on December 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM

PrezHussein on December 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I took the message to be that if you want to help an oppressed people you’ll need to provide them with more then just spiritual guidance and food/medical supplies.

This has been a central aspect of conservative foreign policy since Reagan, at least.

18-1 on December 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM

um. no list is complete without barbarian invasions

joeindc44 on December 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Iron Man was great.

Rosmerta on December 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Although I didn’t see the movie, I noticed no one mentioned Gran Torrino.

mizflame98 on December 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

I would have included the Watchmen. Rorschach was a great Conservative hero.

DarkKnight3565 on December 30, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I would add the most recent Rambo installment to this list.

Rambo IV was the absolute best so far. It is John Rambo’s Redemption.

Holger on December 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM

It seems all they picked were big splashy productions.

How about “Knocked-up” (2007)?

That movie had a pretty profound pro-life message and a very strong take responsibility message. It was somewhat torturous to watch the male lead actor come around to doing the right thing but in the end he does. It was also aimed at a younger market & very well done in reaching them with the message. And it was funny.

And how about “Hidalgo” (2004)?

Hidalgo is a wonderful story of perseverance, honor and for goodness sake talk about being politically incorrect – a little cowboy beat the Sheik. Justice and the individual win over treachery.

Although I didn’t see the movie, I noticed no one mentioned Gran Torrino.

mizflame98 on December 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

You know what was wrong with that movie? Every Hollywood movie nowadays shows our old soliders as criminals and this movie made that point at least 3 times. The ending – he had to die to repent for serving our country in Korea.

batterup on December 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM

In my opinion “Bigger, Louder and Uncut” is more conservative than any on this list.

AntonDomi on December 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Iron Man was great.

Rosmerta on December 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Iron Man 2 looks to be a Conservative’s Wet Dream just from the teaser of Tony Stark testifing before Congress that they cannot claim the fruits of his intelligence and labor.

Holger on December 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I would have included the Watchmen. Rorschach was a great Conservative hero.

DarkKnight3565 on December 30, 2009 at 10:55 PM

You are confusing conservative with anything goes libertarians. There is nothing conservative about gratuitous sex and violence in movies.

PrezHussein on December 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

batterup on December 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM

No matter how you cut it. Soldiers in Korea and in the Pacific in WWII did horrendous things. Justified in 99 percent of the cases, but utterly horrendous. Even in the European theater they did horrendous things such as taking a flamethrower to a German pillbox and turning the Krauts into well-cooked bratwurst.

Yes that is war, but it is brutal and horrific. The fact that turning Japs or Norks or Krauts into stir-fry is justified does not wipe out the fact that it is brutality and will effect the individual to the point of psychological breakage.

Gran Torino did not make the judgement that Saint Eastwood’s character is a criminal. The first Rambo movie did not make that Judgement, there was no condemnation in either movie. Instead, the point of both movies is to get the audience to sympathize with the ‘heroes’.

Pointing out that good men have done horrific things does not equal a condemnation.

Holger on December 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Yes, AntonDomi – the South Park movie did have a lot of subversively conservative themes! But what would Brian Boitano do?

Rosmerta on December 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Shouldn’t they wait for the decade to be over?

jdkchem on December 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Peter Weir, 2003)

That was the film I saw with my husband on our first date. Excellent movie, even for someone who hadn’t read the novels (my husband has read, and owns, almost all of them).

englishqueen01 on December 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM

wtf? Where’s Taken? And Equilibrium ? And serenity? And Man on Fire? And Rambo ought to be on there at #1 or close to it.

ReformedAndDangerous on December 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Okay, I’m collecting a list of the movies mentioned on this page and will add those to my Netflix queue. Master and Commander is awesome, and I wouldn’t mind seeing it for the fourth time.

Funny that the Incredibles was mentioned above…that’s one of our family’s faves and we watched it for the (probably) 10th time last Sunday night.

Pazman on December 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM

the decade not being over until the end of 2010…Is this not like saying that the 80′s were not over until the end of 1990? or am I missing something?

AntonDomi on December 30, 2009 at 11:22 PM

englishqueen01 on December 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM

The Aubrey/Maturin series is a great read. It served as inspiration for David Weber’s Honor Harrington series which is a great military-political science fiction and very Conservative when you look at the People’s Republic of Haven which is a Welfare/Warfare state versus the Star Kingdom of Manticore which is pretty much Capitalist and Libertarian through and through.

I prefer it over Horatio Hornblower and if you liked Master and Commander the movie, watch the Hornblower series done by A&E, it is awesome.

Holger on December 30, 2009 at 11:25 PM

PrezHussein on December 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Rorschach would probably agree.

This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout “Save us!”… and I’ll look down and whisper “No.” They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father or President Truman. Decent men who believed in a day’s work for a day’s pay. Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn’t realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don’t tell me they didn’t have a choice. Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody Hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers… and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say.

He seems to identify as a deist or atheist which would put him at odds with most conservatives. He is by no doubt an anti-leftist. Night Owl would probably seem closer to what one would expect a true conservative hero to look like.

18-1 on December 30, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Here’s what has been mentioned on the Page 3 Hot Air thread, a list of Air Heads’ favorite movies.

I’m using the list for reference on my Netflix queue, although I haven’t heard of several of the titles.

Master & Commander
The Dark Night
The Road
Gods & Generals
Band of Brothers (series)
The Iron Giant
Taken
Equilibrium
Serenity
Man on Fire

Pazman on December 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Pazman on December 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Happy viewing, but be aware of one thing: not all of these films are what you’d call “family” movies. Especially not Rambo IV (which is simply titled “Rambo”, FYI), as it is more violent than the first three Rambo movies combined. And I do not exaggerate.

The movie’s fundamental theme is one that others have observed about some of these others, like Gran Torino, for instance. And that is that sometimes good men must do terrible things to prevent evil men from doing far worse. And that evil must oftentimes be confronted on its own terms.

Cylor on December 31, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I’ve watched all of them, including his “honorable mention” list, except for “The Hurt Locker” and “The Lives of Others”. I enjoyed all of them, so I’ll have to watch those two as well.

OscarSchneegans on December 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Personally, I’d put Amazing Grace on the list — but I don’t watch that many movies, so take that recommendation for what it’s worth.

I did buy Hotel Rwanda, and I agree with that choice.

notropis on December 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM

PrezHussein on December 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Rorschach actually spent much of the movie railing against gratuitous sex; as well as illegal drug use, prostitution, communism, and liberalism. He was hardly “anything goes”.

DarkKnight3565 on December 31, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Another Conservative Movie: Tears of the Sun. I watched it and was utterly blown away. The White-guys are the good guys and some brown-skinned people are the bad guys (genocidal bad guys mind you).

Bruce Willis and his SEALs are tasked to rescue three people from a mission in Nigeria as it goes to hell. Bruce Willis’s character decides to go off mission and get everyone at the mission to safety…

It is bloody violent showing rape, mutilation and genocide. The violence is the backdrop to awesome story telling and character study.

For another Conservative movie… To take a risky gamble, Children of Men.

Holger on December 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I really thought the main message from Gran Torino was I thought what happens to boys who don’t have a Fathers.

Patricksp on December 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

For another Conservative movie… To take a risky gamble, Children of Men.

Holger on December 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

My understanding is that the took the very good, and very conservative, book and liberalized it?

18-1 on December 31, 2009 at 12:31 AM

DarkKnight3565 on December 31, 2009 at 12:17 AM

The character dilemma of Rorshach is interesting. In the heyday of comicbook heroes the Hero was perfect protecting a perfect society.

Then the 60s and 70s hit and along with it came the Anti-Hero, psychologically broken or in some other way dysfunctional if not outright sociopathic protecting a less than stellar society.

Rorshach has his own problems but he sees society for what it is, unworthy of saving.

Take it one step further. My idea for a comic book. You got the comic book society. Outwardly it appears as a utopia. But when you delve deep, it is ugly as it can be. You got Society’s hero protecting it, protecting the utter rotteness and depravity found within. And you got the ‘Enemy’ who is infact the perfect hero from yesteryear who seeks to push the house of cards over while protecting whom he deems to be the ‘Good’ people of society.

The actual Hero of the comic who is treated as the enemy by the Society is conservative to the core. The Society’s Hero is as rotten inside as the society he protects.

To give you an idea of what it deals with. The Actual Hero stumbles across a mugging and raping in progress. He discovers the woman is a drug addict who has had multiple abortions. The Actual Hero tosses the woman back to the criminals. That is what I am envisioning.

Holger on December 31, 2009 at 12:40 AM

18-1 on December 31, 2009 at 12:31 AM

It is a Conservative movie they tried to make into a Liberal movie. They couldn’t. There are some things they simply can not get rid off without destroying utterly the message which is decidedly conservative.

The entire story is a Christian fable. Theo and Kee are basically Joseph and Mary.

Holger on December 31, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Holger on December 31, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Gotta admit…that would be a great read!

DarkKnight3565 on December 31, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Has anyone else noticed that in the movie “An American Carol” at the airport screening scene they make reference to the “Underpants bomber”? Am I late on this? Because I’ve been out of the loop…

Claypigeon on December 31, 2009 at 12:58 AM

“The Patriot”

Discussion is now over.

AaronGuzman on December 31, 2009 at 1:50 AM

I missed that one one about An American Carol.

I would suggest another book Blood Rock about the Hospitaller Knights and there fight with Islam in Malta, it’s Historical Fiction but its very good.

Patricksp on December 31, 2009 at 1:51 AM

If nobody’s mentioned it yet, Starship Troopers fits the bill. I’m not sure if Verhoeven consciously attempted to over-satirize the extremely conservative/neo-fascist political & social evolution, or if this was true to Heinlein’s original text (never read the book), but to be honest, by the end of the movie, you get the strange feeling that the “reactionary”, militaristic human culture that is portrayed isn’t so terrible to imagine after all…

PaulMorphy on December 31, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Dongemaharu on December 30, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Your mention of the Incredibles is a good one. Yet another good movie may I add.

Mommynator on December 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Ah, another one of my favorites in Serenity.

Pazman on December 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Taken is on my list.

Moral of that story: don’t work for a fat sheik who buys girls as slaves.

Chaz706 on December 31, 2009 at 3:01 AM

OscarSchneegans on December 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM

“The Lives of Others” is incredible and profound. I cannot recommend it strongly enough. I think it should be required viewing for anyone mature enough to understand it.

“An American Carol” had good intentions, but let’s face it: it was a really terrible movie. When politics trump storytelling, from either side, failure follows every time.

“Starship Troopers”? Sorry, no. Paul Verhoeven DID intend to over-satirize the military culture portrayed in it, and from what I understand, he took wild liberties with the book. I’ve always viewed that movie as a black comedy and enjoyed it as such, but director Verhoeven (as nutty a lib as you’ll ever find) always intended for the humans to be seen as the film’s villains, and was mightily frustrated when audiences chose not to see it that way. It’s an entertaining flick, but if it’s conservative, then so is Stephen frelling Colbert.

Cylor on December 31, 2009 at 3:55 AM

Holger on December 31, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I probably shouldn’t take the bait, but…what does the skin color of the protagonists/antagonists have to do with a movie’s political philosophy?

Cylor on December 31, 2009 at 4:13 AM

I did buy Hotel Rwanda, and I agree with that choice.

notropis on December 31, 2009 at 12:04 AM

I agree with the choice as well. Gardiner’s description is way off base though. He makes it sound as though the movie was entirely about the impotence of the UN and the lack of response by the outside world. Far from it. It’d be hard to make a movie about things not happening, after all. Hotel Rwanda focused mainly on the interaction between Africans. The villains were Africans. The heroes were Africans. Whites only played periphery roles, portrayed fairly, in my opinion, as being sympathetic but powerless to affect the turn of events on the ground. Hence the (non-neo) conservative message: the plight of Africans is caused by evil within the African society and it will only end when Africans on the side of good find the courage to confront them.

I walked in fully expecting a white-guilt orgy and was pleasantly surprised. Highly recommended to those who haven’t seen it.

A film I think that deserves a mention is the recent Children of Irena Senderowa, with Anna Paquin in the lead role.

year_of_the_dingo on December 31, 2009 at 6:12 AM

Glory

mizflame98 on December 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

A great movie but quite a departure from the real life of Colonel Shaw and the 54th. You should read, “Blue Eyed Child of Fortune.”

hawkdriver on December 31, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Honorable Mentions
Cinderella Man (Ron Howard, 2005)
Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone, 2006(

And in that vein, how about Million Dollar Baby? A great sports flick with a conservative message.

UltimateBob on December 31, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Glory

mizflame98 on December 30, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Great one, but it wasn’t made in this decade. ;-)

UltimateBob on December 31, 2009 at 6:53 AM

How is Serenity not on this list?

TBinSTL on December 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

how is it that I got to the second page of comments before someone asked that question? Bravo!

Not only that but I would add:
Ladder 49
United 93
Finding Nemo
Star Trek
Inglorious Basterds
Up
40 Year Old Virgin
The Wrestler

Maybe Knocked Up for the fact it was a pro-life movie.

Pcoop on December 31, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Also, The Great Raid. How could I have forgot that one.

Pcoop on December 31, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Numbers 7 – 9 are huh? Never even heard of two of those.

Where is “We were soldiers”? and he puts Narnia is the also ran list?

Where’s “The Path to 9/11″ ?

Where’s Mel Gibson’s “The Patriot”? or “Live free or Die Hard”?

dogsoldier on December 31, 2009 at 7:03 AM

dogsoldier on December 31, 2009 at 7:03 AM

path to 9/11 was a made for tv movie, don’t know if he would consider it…but you are right, it needs to be there…disney (i believe) needs to man up and get it on DVD…

cmsinaz on December 31, 2009 at 7:15 AM

The Objective

Two months after 9/11, a CIA operative leads a US Special Forces team on a classified mission deep into Taliban territory. Their objective is to locate a Muslim cleric with possible ties to a deadly cache of WMDs. But what they instead discover is…

Best line of the movie

If these people suddenly gain the ability to destroy nations, the rest of us can only pray that they’ve become weary of fighting.

BDU-33 on December 31, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I loved Master and Commander. Read the entire Aubrey/Maturin series; took an entire year, there were 20 novels. Even in 1805, Jack Aubrey was considered old fashioned; he was contrasted against his best friend Stephen Maturin, the newly emerging scientific, modern man. Jack was a consummate seaman and commander, but couldn’t function on land, where he was naive and often inept; he could keep perfect account of his ship’s stores, but his personal financial accounts were often in shambles. Stephen was a master intelligence agent and a passionate scientist, but was completely hopeless at sea. Jack pulled off a daring rescue when Stephen was captured and tortured, and Stephen often worked behind the scenes with the Admiralty to further Jack’s career.
I recommend the novels to anyone seeking a rich literary experience. O’Brian really immerses you in the Napoleonic era.

Geoffry T. Spaulding on December 31, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler’s List

The Incredibles (hey, I’ve got kids, so that’s how I ended up seeing this)

olesparkie on December 31, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Oops, I forgot

Braveheart

olesparkie on December 31, 2009 at 8:35 AM

ugggggg. wrong decade

olesparkie on December 31, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Read some of the comments on that article; check out “Spud”, he acts like he wants to win the Smackdown on the Jim Rome show.

ProudPalinFan on December 31, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Amazing Grace

daesleeper on December 31, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I agree with Team America:World Police as I’m what they call a South Park Conservative, a Barry Goldwater conservative if you will. The most expensive puppet movie ever made and one of my all time favorites.

Anything with Russell Crowe in it is gold.

To the commenter who hasn’t seen Gran Torino, see it. Not a Hollywood shoot ‘em up, but as with anything involving Clint Eastwood, great flick.

Quentin Tarantino’s “Inglourious Basterds” is conservative in a weird way. Total rewrite of WWII, very strange, but done well with some outstanding performances. Brad Pitt was the draw, but was outshined by some really fine actors. When I saw it in the theatre, the sheep laughed everytime Pitt said something. Love that group think. Pitt wasn’t all that but I’m a Tarantino fan….

adamsmith on December 31, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I’ve seen two of these, I think.

(From Allahpundit)

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK. He WORKS here! Hey it’s me and I can’t see what I want going to the theaters, or just renting it out. These two kids always crave attention!

BTW Allah, I have Tweeted you on this too. Been sticking up for ya many times, even with the Sarah posts (except on one article in particular). My wish for the next year, is that you acknowledge more of us baby bloggers and the ppl that post here. Will work to a fruition towards the end, friend.

ProudPalinFan on December 31, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Not anarchist. The government had swelled and had become oppressive of the people. It therefore needed to be destroyed so a better one could be built. If you watch the movie and don’t just rely on kneejerk reviews like the one Hotair did claiming the movie justified terrorism, then you would completely understand the movie, and I think like it. Its very founding fathersy, in freeing yourself from the shackles of an oppressive government that no longer represents you.

thphilli on December 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM

That’s a typical theme in Alan Moore stories. It was intended to be anti-conservative but the meaning inadvertantly gets changed over time. That’s why Watchmen is so profound. It was origianlly meant as a statement against “Reagan’s America Imperialism” but nowadays, especially when it comes to the climax, can be used as a statement against Obama’s “rebuilding of America.”

Pcoop on December 31, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I can’t watch 300 with a straight face and seriousness after watching “Meet The Spartans” on HBO. I was on a trip and hoping to see something else but all they broadcasted was this movie.

All I think of is the segment where they have a beer and “Real Men Of Genius” plays in the background, and mocks all of ‘em.

ProudPalinFan on December 31, 2009 at 9:20 AM

There is nothing conservative about gratuitous sex and violence in movies.

PrezHussein on December 30, 2009 at 11:04 PM

I think you’re confusing your version of social conservatism with conservatism in general. Many conservatives agree little on the former.

strictnein on December 31, 2009 at 9:23 AM

PaulMorphy on December 31, 2009 at 2:38 AM

Read the book and then come back and tell us what you think of the movie.

Oldnuke on December 31, 2009 at 10:08 AM

WINDS OF WAR
WAR AND REMEMBRANCE

These two mini-series should be in every classroom in America.

Unbelievable mix of real footage and drama…Chock full of facts and timeline leading up to WWII and Holocaust..Holocaust facts should be seen every day for all of these spoiled kids that have been taught it was no big deal.

Netflix has both, or cost is about one hundred dollars for both on Amazon…great to watch with your teenagers….great to combat what big bad America and big bad Jews were up to in the 30′s and 40′s….

nondhimmie on December 31, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I liked Inglorious Basterds.

Dr Evil on December 31, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Read the book and then come back and tell us what you think of the movie.

Oldnuke on December 31, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I don’t think anybody who read Starship Troopers will talk about that feelm.

Chris_Balsz on December 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Pursuit of Happyness was definitely a conservatively themes movie. The rest…depends on your interpretation.

angryed on December 31, 2009 at 11:41 AM

These films didn’t make the final list, but would be strong contenders for a top 20.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (Andrew Adamson, 2005); Cinderella Man (Ron Howard, 2005); Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood, 2008); Juno (Jason Reitman, 2007); The Passion of the Christ (Mel Gibson, 2004); Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone, 2006); Tears of the Sun (Antoine Fuqua, 2003); United 93 (Paul Greengrass, 2006); We Were Soldiers (Randall Wallace, 2002).

WTF?

TheUnrepentantGeek on December 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Starship Troopers is one of my favorite novels of all time, Heinlein is an amazing author, although not always espousing a conservative message, in contrast the film was garbage

MyImamToldMeToDoIt on December 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Oh, and holy crap, Downfall (2004) should be on that list. If anyone hasn’t seen that movie, it is absolutely amazing. Best Hitler portrayal ever.

thphilli on December 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM

… I especially like the part when Hitler complains about Favre signing with the Vikings …

PackerBronco on December 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I had to see the movie after Hitler lost his Xbox live account.

thphilli on December 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM

If you guys thought those were funny, you will ROFL at “Hitler and the G Spot“. ;-)

Mary in LA on December 31, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Wow. Only one mention of the Incredibles so far. Totally conservative. Family values, right vs. wrong, etc…it got everything right.

And to prove it, amaze yourselves at the list of awards it received or was nominated for.

BobMbx on December 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I loved The Incredibles.

Another movie I would name for its courageous portrayal of life under the Taliban is Osama. It’s not conservative per se, but certainly a movie I think Conservatives would enjoy.

DarkKnight3565 on December 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Master and Commander was my first thought when I saw the headline. It is also my favorite movie of the decade. The Aubrey-Maturin stories changed my life, and although M&C isn’t a perfect adaptation (none could be), it is damned great. See it if you haven’t.

Missy on December 31, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Wait – Trotsky was a neo-con?

Ok, I’m now officially confused.

mojo on December 31, 2009 at 2:06 PM

My list for most conservative movies of the Decade

10: United 93 (2005)
9: Michael Moore Hates America (2004)
8: Screw Loose Change (2007)
7: Transformers (2007)
6: Black Hawk Down (2002)
5: American History in Black and White (2003)
4: FahrenHYPE 9/11 (2004)
3: The Dark Knight (2008)
2: 300 (2007)

And my #1 Pick for most conservative movie of the decade

1: TEAM AMERICA WORLD POLICE (2004)

rednebulastudios on December 31, 2009 at 3:29 PM

“The Incredibles” was the worst piece of trash Pixar ever produced. Probably the only one.

Didn’t like it. And frankly, I’m absolutely amazed so many here do. But alas.

It’s about family, particularly about moms and dads. There are a lot of family people here. Its a film that turns the average hard working, boring, run of the mill suburban family — the lifeblood of the country — into the coolest most powerful people on Earth. Its a film that recognizes that the most undervalued people in America are average suburban families. Family is enormously important to family people. Many single people in their 20s and 30s, especially single men, dont really give that much of a crap about family — understandably so — even though they think they do. Its just not where their heads are at. I’m guessing thats why you dont get it.

American Elephant on December 31, 2009 at 7:07 PM