Ramirez on “systemic failures”

posted at 12:15 pm on December 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

How do people feel about government taking over health care after the display of self-admitted “systemic failure” over the last few days on what should be the government’s primary role?   Michael Ramirez puts it into perspective at Investors Business Daily as only the two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist can:

The TSA reference doesn’t spring so much from the botched attack itself, which was hardly the fault of TSA.  After all, the US does not provide security in Lagos, Nigeria, or in Amsterdam.  But the TSA’s Chicken Little responses — banning laptops and requiring people to remain seated in the final 60 minutes of the flight — showed an amazing ignorance of the actual incident.  None of the measures would have stopped Umar Abdulmutallab from detonating his underwear bomb.  It’s as if they had a playbook of new restrictions to slap onto travelers just in case something happened and they needed to look as though they were responding to it.

And this same kind of bureaucratic mentality will be coming for your health care soon, if Obama and the Democrats get their way, as will the competence displayed by everyone in the loop who should have stopped Abdulmutallab from getting on that airplane.

Ramirez has a terrific collection of his works: Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion, which covers the entire breadth of Ramirez’ career, and it gives a fascinating look at political history.  Read my review here, and watch my interviews with Ramirez here and here.  And don’t forget to check out the entire Investors.com site, which has now incorporated all of the former IBD Editorials, while individual investors still exist.

Comments

Barney Fife and his one bullet he lovingly calls ‘Obamacare’.

That about sums it up.

SilverStar830 on December 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Ramirez has a great understanding. But the “gun” in Obama TSA’s hand….. I don’t see it. I would have to be pepper spray or a taser. Not a gun.

upinak on December 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Barney Fife had more testosterone than Obambi.

AubieJon on December 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM

You realize that’s a dire insult to Barney Fife.

CPT. Charles on December 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Is that supposed to be a hybrid of Maobama and Barney Fife? Good cartoon, but I’d like to see him make that image an immistakable combo of the two.

Western_Civ on December 30, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Wow! He simultaniously looks like Barny Fife and Barny Obama. That’s the kind of artistic talent I wish I had.

rihar on December 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Anyone who knows whats in ObamaCare knows this isnt true either.

Chuck Schick on December 30, 2009 at 12:23 PM

But don’t worry government rationed healthcare will be so much better.

But one way to look at it, the newly rebuilt WALL worked perfectly.

tarpon on December 30, 2009 at 12:23 PM

“Nip it in the bud!”

Del Dolemonte on December 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

The mom jeans are spot on.

txag92 on December 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Teh One is probably just as adept at quoting the Constitution as Barney Fife was…..

“We the people….”

One of my favorite episodes.

Intrepid on December 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I think the 1-hour-in-your-seat rule is unnecessarily strict. There should be a 1-finger-or-2-fingers rule. All those not holding up fingers can play the quiet game.

Bugler on December 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Remember that Sherriff Andy would allow Barney Fife to carry only one bullet in his pocket.

That’s about what Obama has done to our national security apparatus, what with prosecuting CIA operatives, prosecuting Navy Seals for giving a killer-terrorist a bloody nose, the decisions to try terrorists in NYC and to close Gitmo and send the enemy to Yemen or Illinois, the imposition of unrealistically strict ROEs in theatre, the stopping construction of the border fence…

TXUS on December 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM

No laptops, iPods, coats on laps, movement out of seats in the last hour of a flight? I see their plan…they’re going to reduce terrorist attacks on flights by making sure that no one wants to ever fly again.

It’s so crazy it just might work!

(I wonder how many more blood clots people are going to get if they’re forced to be immoble for that last hour btw?)

DrAllecon on December 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Overheard at WH strategy session:

“You know, we could pay for healthcare by taxing terrorist acts. As those nutty conservatives always say ‘if you want to get rid of something, tax it.’ Moreover, we could develop terrorism cap-and-trade legislation that would allow countries with no terrorism plans to sell their terrorism credits on the free market to countries and even non-state actors who perform a lot of terroristic acts. The act would specify annual reductions in the quantity of credits available, thereby reducing the threat of terrorism to the pre-1980 levels overtime, giving terrorists time to find ways to conduct green terrorism and create green jobs.”

BobMbx on December 30, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Barney Fife, at least, was willing to use the bullet.

Russ on December 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Michael Ramirez it always brilliant. But I hope he and we would add profuse and heart felt apologies to the late Don Knott’s family. Don’t think Don would have appreciated the association with the horrendous bungling of TSA/Congress/The President and the countless obscure parts of our illustrious guvmint monster.

Roger Brown on December 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

BigBrotherCare: One bullet per customer.

Vashta.Nerada on December 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

My two (Dem) Senators caved with the vow that if the final bill didn’t look like the one they voted for in the Senate, they’d withhold support. It is, obviously, a big fat lie.

While I would wish Obamacare go down in flames, the reality is that we need to go into damage control and get rid of the worst of the worst aspects of the plan the Dems have manage to craft without any GOP input. We also need to make it emphasize is that this utterly evil bill is all the work of a single political party looking to take over one-sixth of the economy. Then, we need to work to get the Congress so overturned to dismantle Obamacare bit by bit in 2011.

Obamacare will pass but that doesn’t mean it is the moment to be silent.

highhopes on December 30, 2009 at 12:44 PM

BigBrotherCare: One bullet per customer.

Vashta.Nerada on December 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Then charge the family for the bullet to keep it all deficit neutral.

highhopes on December 30, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I like Bruce Schneier’s take:

I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks.

Schneier on Security

karl_lembke on December 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Obambi’s answer to transportation security is to cut off use of the bathrooms and let the American people sit in a cramped airplane seat in a puddle of their own urine.

kurtzz3 on December 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Not trivial. I have a friend flying for 6+ hours next week that has a blood clot in the leg.

Two other things:
1. Aren’t the new restrictions ending today?
2. Can you read a freaking paperback book in the last hour of the flight?

WitchDoctor on December 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I still can’t believe that anyone that has ever been to the DMV would ever let government take over the care for their health.

On that note, my DMV fees have gone up 400% in the last three years. I fully expect that spectacular achievement to be surpassed with Obama Hell-care.

jukin on December 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM

upinak on December 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

No my dear lady, YOU may not have a gun, but those enforcing the new “insurance” mandates will need to keep us radical tea-bagging flat-earthers in line.

Please let me know when they come for YOUR gun. I’ll want to pop some popcorn and tune into breaking news.

Laura in Maryland on December 30, 2009 at 1:13 PM

But the “gun” in Obama TSA’s hand….. I don’t see it. I would have to be pepper spray or a taser a marker and eraser for a white board (excuse me, “board without color”) and a stack of post-it notes. Not a gun.

upinak on December 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Fixed.

ya2daup on December 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Can you read a freaking paperback book in the last hour of the flight?

WitchDoctor on December 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Exceptions have been issued for those reading books “authored” by The Unprecedented: “Sins of My Father” and “The Audacity of Dopes”

ya2daup on December 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Oh, and we can’t hide our hands during the last hour either. Sorry, can’t fill out that customs form, because I’d have to hide my hands to get a pen.

What’s so special about the last hour of flight anyway? A terrorist could explode a plane over the ocean earlier in the flight! For an overland flight, the plane could be taken down over a big city more than an hour before landing.

Steve Z on December 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Steve Z on December 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

The lack of the 7 P’s strike again.
Proper Prior Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance.

Anybody who gave even a moments thought to the new procedures would understand they are doomed to failure.

chemman on December 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM

So let me get this straight- now that we won’t be allowed to go to the bathroom on flights, won’t that mean that more people will have to wear depends, and then that will call for more screening of everyone’s suspicious underpants? If this wasn’t so serious, it would be hilarious.

Kristamatic on December 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Bugler on December 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Due to the manner in which alleged human disaster causer Abdulmatullab allegedly attempted to detonate himself, the TSA has implemented new regulations forbidding passengers from touching their genital areas in airplanes outside the lavatories.

The American Civil Liberties Union has filed suit to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in protest of the new regulation on behalf of plaintiffs Levi Johnston (father of former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin’s grandson), Joycelyn Elders, and the estate of Michael Jackson.

/sarc off

Steve Z on December 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM

upinak on December 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

=======================================

Right – not a gun. Wrong – more likely a strongly worded letter (and a book of ‘Curious Obama Goes to Washington’).

Danny on December 30, 2009 at 1:50 PM

“Listen here, Achmed T. Bass! This is Deputy Fife! I’m armed and if you don’t go home, I might just take a shot at you”

faraway on December 30, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Kristamatic on December 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Not at all. Here’s how the conversation goes:

“Excuse me, stewardess….can I get a big, empty cup?”

followed shortly thereafter with:

“Oh stewardess…can you take this garbage for me? Be careful you don’t spill it.”

I really did this while sitting on the runway waiting to take off in St. Louis, circa 1988.

Security measures and closed restrooms have no effect on my bladder.

BobMbx on December 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM

ya2daup on December 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM

New DoT rules specify these two books (audio versions) are to be on continuous loop on Channels 10 and 11, respectively, whenever passengers are aboard an aircraft.

BobMbx on December 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM

kurtzz3 on December 30

Seems to fit with other Obambi’s cures for our problems.
Remember, we can end reliance on Reliance on foreign oil by inflating our tires!

DSchoen on December 30, 2009 at 2:41 PM

DrAllecon on December 30

Why not!

It worked with income taxes!

If you no longer have a job,

you no longer are paying income taxes,

due to no income!

Brilliant!

DSchoen on December 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion

ObamaCare: you have the explicit right, to die early and get out of the way.

Speakup on December 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Not only that, Barney always left the keys to the cell right on the hook, next to the celll–I don’t have a good feeling about this….

lovingmyUSA on December 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

And what is your name, sir?

K.B. Muhammed.

And why are you here today?

I’m a student f-f-flying home for Ramadan.

Are you nervous?

NOO!!

Tell me, what does the K.B. stand for?

KA-BOOM!!

warbaby on December 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Why not!

It worked with income taxes!

If you no longer have a job,

you no longer are paying income taxes,

due to no income!

Brilliant!

DSchoen on December 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM

davidk on December 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I agree that they are overreacting, but there is a logic to the new rules. They are trying to prevent someone from being able to take a syringe and inject the acid into the explosives concealed in their underwear without being seen by the crew or other passengers. That’s why they are prohibiting blankets, coats across your lap, laptops, and visits to the bathrooms. If everyone has an unobstructed view of your lap, you won’t be able to use the syringe without drawing attention.

I suppose we are lucky that they are only applying the rules to the last hour of flight, at least for now.

Anon Y. Mous on December 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Warbaby, thank you for reminding me of Steve Allen and the man on the street. Great Shows. Hi-ho Steverino

Pelayo on December 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM