Choose the Obamateurism of the Year: The second-chance flight

posted at 8:05 am on December 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve been highlighting the amateurish stumbles of our new President since March, and now it’s time for Hot Air readers to pick the Obamateurism of the Year!  Over the next few days, I’ll offer polls in different brackets (or “flights”) of previous Obamateurism of the Week winners, and you’ll pick the winners between five or six selections in a new poll each day, except Christmas.  I also hand-selected a few second-place winners in a second-chance bracket, which will run next week.  After we’ve narrowed down to eight finalists, Hot Air readers will select the OOTY!

All but one of the slots in the OOTY finals — the Embarrassing Eight — have already been filled:

• Obama bows to Saudi King Abdullah
  • Warning on deficits and spending while pushing big-spending programs
  • Change in Iran coming because “Obviously, after the speech I made in Cairo…”
  • Obama opines on Gates arrest without “having all the facts”
  • Throwing Poland under the bus on missile defense on 70th anniversary of Soviet invasion
  • Obama goes to Copenhagen for Olympics (and comes home empty)
  • Giving 2 minutes of “shout-outs” before getting to the Fort Hood shooting

Nice job on yesterday’s poll — it was a tough one, to be sure.  But we’ve had some tough polls for the OOTW this year, and some close calls.  For the final slot, I decided to pick eleven close-call second place finishers from OOTW polls during the year.  Which of the runners-up deserves a second look for an OOTY?  Bringing the war in Iraq to an “irresponsible end,” putting Tonsil Vultures and Foot Rustlers in charge of your medical care, 20 centuries of the American Constitution, or one of the other near-miss OOTW candidates?  Make your pick!

Comments

Whew! Much easier today. Yesterday was a tough one.

The CIC who tries to vote present is not much of a commander.

Peri Winkle on December 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM

These will make a great book in no time!!

DamnYankee on December 30, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Speaking of second chances….C’mon, the bow in Japan HAS to be in there for a final vote. It just wasn’t fair to pair that one with Fort Hood. Heck, the logo design of OOTD was inspired by the bow mocked ’round the world.

I urge you to write this wrong, Ed, and give a “wild card” spot to the Asian Prostration.

Hawkins1701 on December 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Hawkins1701 on December 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Yeesh, *right*.

No more sobering up typing for me.

Hawkins1701 on December 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

These OOTY are starting to look like the Darwin Awards set in book form. The question is: will we survive?

BetseyRoss on December 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I like the budget cuts.

rob verdi on December 30, 2009 at 8:19 AM

The problem with SEIU and McCrystal, is that it’s not a gaffe or an amateur moment. It’s pure evil and insight into his true priorities.

uknowmorethanme on December 30, 2009 at 8:20 AM

McChrystal/SEIU. Some of the others can be attributed to normal speaking flubs (but for which W. was excoriated & Dear Liar is such a smooth talker) but this one shows exactly where The Whine’s priorities lay. And it is not with keeping the US secure.

rbj on December 30, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I had to go with the McChrystal/SEIU choice because it is so much what this administration stands for. Political paybacks, cronyism, leftist agenda….. all more important than foreign policy or national security. It, IMO, will be the legacy of this very bad era and the affirmative action President.

highhopes on December 30, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I had to go with treating Gen. McChrystal as a second class citizen.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2009 at 8:23 AM

He sure had a few but you couldn’t find this many screw-ups for Bush in eight years and isn’t he the one that’s supposed to be the inarticulate doofus?

ncborn on December 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Went with missing the day of thanksgiving. I believe it truly reflects his feelings about my country.

vegasguy on December 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I went with the Tonsil Vultures and Foot Rustlers. Demonizing members of such a noble profession for political purposes is inexcusable. Unfortunately, that’s SOP for Democrats. Anger and hatred are their stock in trade, and they seem incapable of taking any other approach.

backwoods conservative on December 30, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Can we somehow work in the Golf mag cover of ’10 tips ogabe can learn from tiger?’ The timing on that was perfect, and I think he is going to fall just like tiger, and it will not be pretty for him or our nation.

lukespapa on December 30, 2009 at 8:25 AM

These are indeed still “tough ones”. In the vain of “second chances”, one has to wonder if there aren’t now millions of independents and the “youth vote” that would now like to go back to November of 2008 and reconsider their choice to elect a community organizer/spending fanatic.

Rovin on December 30, 2009 at 8:27 AM

McChrystal/SEIU – another excellent example of this idiot voting present – he wants all the cool parts of the job with none of the hard work.

PatMac on December 30, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Stan flappin’ in the wind.

ted c on December 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Rovin on December 30, 2009 at 8:27 AM

The vast majority of people I have spoken to that have voted for Obama aren’t paying attention to what is happening now. So as to whether or not they’d like to got back to change their vote, I doubt many would. They voted the guy in then walked away and are ignoring the situation. After all, he couldn’t mess anything up, could he?

boomer on December 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM

PatMac on December 30, 2009 at 8:27 AM

It is not all his fault. When in his career has he had to work hard? Life has come very easy for the President and he can’t understand why he is failing because he is doing all the same things he has always done with the exception that there isn’t some higher job to be campaigning for within days of winning the last election (though I think he’s priming himself to become UN Secretary General or some such citizen of the world job).

Obama reminds me very much of Ray Nagin. He was a great mayor for New Orleans prior to Hurricane Katrina because there wasn’t all that much to do other than host Mardi Gras. All the institutional and systemic problems were pretty much on autopilot. During and after the storm when real leadership was needed, Nagin wasn’t anywhere around. I predict much the same fate for Obama.

highhopes on December 30, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Yeah, I have to go with McChrystal/SEIU, although it goes waaaay beyond a slip of a tongue or policy disagreement. Leaving our military to hang out to dry while protecting those SEIU thugs and crooks proves what a corrupt, self serving douche Obama is.

Spunky06 on December 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM

boomer on December 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I’ve had the opposite experience. The Obama voters I know are not necessarily disavowing their support but it is well-tempered with admission that the President is screwing things up and isn’t living up to the hype of this time last year.

highhopes on December 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Obama: Never too big to flail.

pugwriter on December 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Can we somehow work in the Golf mag cover of ‘10 tips ogabe can learn from tiger?’ The timing on that was perfect, and I think he is going to fall just like tiger, and it will not be pretty for him or our nation.

lukespapa on December 30, 2009 at 8:25 AM

At least Tiger was doing sex only to his mistresses.

rbj on December 30, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I work with some of those tonsil vultures and foot rustlers…

ladyingray on December 30, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I had to go with treating Gen. McChrystal as a second class citizen.

Cindy Munford on December 30, 2009 at 8:23 AM

It’s just a perfect example of Obama’s mindset. In his eyes we are all second class citizens. Walking, talking, hard-working ATM machines. He now has the debit card.

Yoop on December 30, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Whew! Much easier today. Yesterday was a tough one.

The CIC who tries to vote present is not much of a commander.

Peri Winkle on December 30, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I agree with you. Yesterday was a tough choice. Today, there are a lot of terrible/incredible things on the list but nothing tops the McCrystal v. SEIU disparity.

MainelyRight on December 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM

no question…talking with McChrystal once….we know dear leader’s priorities and national security ain’t top of the list…

cmsinaz on December 30, 2009 at 8:47 AM

I hope our patriots don’t get out of the military because of Obama. Glen Beck was wrong. If all the patriots leave, these guys will take their place and then the military would have no compunction about killing US citizens.

csdeven on December 30, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Maybe the two bows to foreign rulers should be grouped together as one.

SEIU/McCrystal: Priorities, priorities, priorities

Beaglemom on December 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Primary job of the President is to be CIC, and the security of the country is job one. Epic failure at his primary function.

iurockhead on December 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Somewhat O/T:

Do the pollsters take the holidays off? (Not that they don’t deserve to…they can probably just throw out a number that’s a few less than the day before and be fine…)

I have to imagine that Barry’s numbers have suffered from his lackluster response to ongoing terror.

anniekc on December 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM

While I agree with the sentiments about Obamao’s treatment of McChrystal, it doesn’t seem amateurish enough. What does seem amateurish is for anyone to believe that (1) the Federal Government can create private sector jobs and (2) that anyone would believe Obamao when he says that he spends “every waking moment, when he’s talking to his economic team” (which means when he is not doing something else) thinking about how to put people back to work. No clue, he has no clue about business and economics yet he amateurishly won’t admit it.
The guy knows nothing about economics or business yet thinks he can create private sector jobs. That’s amateur.

ExpressoBold on December 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM

highhopes on December 30, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Yes. Obama is always seeking “higher” office. He has no interest in being President, just the trappings of the presidency. This is why there are no records to be found for anything he has done in his “career”. This is perhaps the best I’ve heard it expressed:

Carol Platt Liebau was first female managing editor of the Harvard Law Review;

It reminds me a little bit of my experience with him when he was president of the Harvard Law Review. You know, I hesitated to say a lot about this during the campaign because I really thought maybe it wasn’t fair. That maybe, finally, when he got to be President, this would be a job big enough to engage and hold Barack Obama’s sustained interest, because really, is there a bigger job out here?

[...]

[W]hen he was at the HLR you did get a very distinct sense that he was the kind of guy who much more interested in being the president of the Review, than he was in doing anything as president of the Review.

A lot of the time he quote/unquote “worked from home”, which was sort of a shorthand – and people would say it sort of wryly – shorthand for not really doing much. He just wasn’t around. Most of the day to day work was carried out by the managing editor of the Review, my predecessor, a great guy called Tom Pirelli whose actually going to be one of the assistant attorney generals now.

He’s the one who did most of the day to day work. Barack Obama was nowhere to be seen. Occasionally he would drop in he would talk to people, and then he’d leave again as though his very arrival had been a benediction in and of itself, but not very much got done.

So, you know, you see that and you think, gosh, maybe that’s the way the guy operates, hut then you figure ok, obviously he always had his eye on bigger and better things.

But now he’s President…there really isn’t a bigger or better thing.

singer on December 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM

The McChrystal one is not an error or gaffe, but a deliberate attempt to minimize the military, and increase the power of the unions…no gaffe there, that is his politics and beliefs.
Tonsils, constitution, good ones…I chose every waking hour.
It shows how out of touch with reality he is…and how he understands the people who support him, he knows they will believe what ever he says.
He has the liberals spell bound, “every waking hour” is as much of a big lie as you can muster, but the liberals eat it up…

right2bright on December 30, 2009 at 9:18 AM

All these were Obama being an idiot or a political hack, so I went with the most amateurish of the bunch: dithering about AIG and then getting it wrong. The McChrystal thing was a close second, though.

Kafir on December 30, 2009 at 9:18 AM

uknowmorethanme on December 30, 2009

Making it the perfect Obamateurism. Remember, it’s not just the foolishness and stupidity of Obama that makes an Obamateurism. It also encompasses his vile and venal proclivities.

Extrafishy on December 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I always tend to give politicians a pass for verbal miscues. Saying 57 states, missing dates of holidays, etc. The idea of public speaking is one I have never enjoyed and I give much respect to people who can address millions of others at a time. If they slip up a word or three, I can only imagine my own frozen terror.

BierManVA on December 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM

The Disaster in Chief shouldn’t have to “read” any statement about the Constitution if he WAS a lecturer at Harvard on the Constitution.
UNLESS, you were just putting in an appearance and absentmindedly mouthing a written speech.
BUT; We all know how Obama does just that; Put in an appearance, read some speech, then speed off on a golf cart back to the green.
OBAMA IS A TRAITOR: IMPEACH OBAMA NOW: HIS NEGLIGENCE AND INCOMPETENCE WILL GET MANY AMERICANS KILLED, AND CAUSE UNTOLD DAMAGE TO THE UNITED STATES.

Cybergeezer on December 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I went with making CA the model to follow in fiscal responsibility. It’s the one promise he’s actually carried out.

MJBrutus on December 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM

BierManVA on December 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM

On occasional public speaking, yes: But not the professional, consummate speaker Obama is supposed to be.
And any one can READ a speech.

Cybergeezer on December 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I have two questions.

1. Why do you have to make this so hard?
2. When is the book coming out?

Oldnuke on December 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

uknowmorethanme on December 30, 2009 at 8:20 AM

That’s why I didn’t got with that choice. It’s what outraged me the most on the list, but it wasn’t amaturistic, it was intentional.

DrAllecon on December 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I urge you to right this wrong, Ed, and give a “wild card” spot to the Asian Prostration.
Hawkins1701 on December 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Agree! I think that day each one was a contender, but especially the bow. Wild card Ed!!!

conservative pilgrim on December 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM

anniekc on December 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Judging by the latest attempt by Team Barry to “sound tough” on terror, I think you can safely assume that the White House is keenly aware that Barry’s initial responses to the Christmas plane bomb attempt have not been well received by the American public. (They do their own polling in the WH, so they don’t have to wait for the numbers from the big pollsters).

AZCoyote on December 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I chose the McChrystal and SEIU boss. It reveals Obama’s priorities and shows how empty his words/priorities are.

conservative pilgrim on December 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

These will make a great book in no time!!

DamnYankee on December 30, 2009 at 8:14 AM

IU_Conservative on December 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I was torn between the SEIU thing and Gandhi, but chose Gandhi. We all know Odinglenuts is in the pocket of the unions (and, by extension, organized crime), but I think the Gandhi remark is not only another revelation of what a complete dope Obama is, but also what $lutz the media are: think of the howls of derision we would have heard had GWB said something so egregiously stupid.

Obama likes to say big words, and tries to sound intellectual, but his rather pedestrian verbal ability (not to be confused with his now hackneyed teleprompter reading style) actually end up sounding grandiloquent and pompous. He’s a vain poseur who assumes people are as ignorant and shallow as he is.

mr.blacksheep on December 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Tonsil Vultures and Foot Rustlers HAS to beat out McChrystal/SEIU (even though that’s a good one) because taking over “health care” is a MAJOR Obama issue.

katablog.com on December 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Ya think?

katablog.com on December 30, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I thought that we would get a second look at some of the second place finishers from Flights 1-7. I see that I misunderstood, and that we only get a wildcard look at some of the best WEEKLY second-placers.

I don’t think that’s quite right. The 2nd and 3rd place finishers from Flight 7 ought to be on the final poll. Reason being that, although they might lose out to the 1st place finisher from Flight 7 (again), the final poll will be looked upon for what came in 2nd, 3rd, etc. And the Asian prostration might come in the top 5 or 3 if included.

I know there is no Congressional Medal of Honor, or even a Presidential Medal of Freedom hinging on this. But it matters to some of us.

connertown on December 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM

connertown on December 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM

If there’s such a thing as an excellent cheap shot, that had to be it.

mr.blacksheep on December 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM

mr.blacksheep on December 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Not to sound critical, but:

“pedestrian verbal ability”
“grandiloquent”
“pompous”
“vain”
“poseur”

Pot.Kettle?

To summarize Mr. Blacksheep: “Obama is stupid”. As eloquent as Obama is when he reads, he is a piker when compared to the verbosity of John “The flip flopper” Kerry.

BobMbx on December 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM

boomer on December 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM

..they weren’t paying attention then, either.

VoyskaPVO on December 30, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Tough choices. I was torn between the 17 billion in cuts and McChrystal/SEIU. Both were pro-active damage to our country.

Went with McChrystal/SEIU because I think it was most damaging act without doubt. Ah, the smell of socialism in the Rose Garden.

donh525 on December 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Ed,

Count me as another patriot in the chorus of voices clamoring for inclusion of the “Asian Prostration”. By itself, perhaps not as egregious as the top selections, but it is emblematic of the cavalier attitude of this POSOTUS towards the country he purports to lead.

VoyskaPVO on December 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Off topic but the President is snorkeling in Hawaii and in the same breath we hear about Bush taking vacations in Texas. He couldn’t possibly give off a more un-serious, weak image if he tried. Relaxation, I get. Acting like a teen aged tourist while pretending to represent us on the world stage as a leader and Commander-in-Chief who takes his responsibilities seriously is mortifying! No wonder the Islamic terrorists are ramping up their attacks.

Spunky06 on December 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM

I seem to recall that at the very first cabinent meeting stunt that was charged with finding places to cut spending, they came up with only $100 million, which was one of the biggest laughs of the year for me. I seem to recall that one of these geniuses came up with the idea of buying office supplies in bulk. duh! gee ya think so?

exceller on December 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM

BobMbx on December 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Looks like I kept you busy with the dictionary, then. What? You don’t own one? Who would have guessed?

mr.blacksheep on December 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

uknowmorethanme on December 30, 2009 at 8:20 AM

EXACTLY!

royzer on December 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

exceller on December 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM

That’s only because somebody else had already come up with double-siding copies.

PatMac on December 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Tough choices…. Had to go with “tonsils and feet.”

As others have said, the SEIU/McChrystal choice was no amateurism, it was a clear demonstration of 0bama’s priorities.

The tonsils and feet thing was a cheap shot at the medical profession, intended for his adoring and uninformed audience.

UltimateBob on December 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I love this exercise. There are sooooo many instances of Obama stepping on his, well, never mind, but the McChrystal/SEIU situation is more than a verbal slip or a sign of an unprepared amateur in the most powerful position in the world.

It shows how truly dangerous Obama is and how foolish the electorate was.

Star20 on December 30, 2009 at 12:22 PM

exceller on December 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Which begs the question, what did they do before some brain-trust came up with this cost cutting measure? Did they buy copier paper by the individual sheet?

UltimateBob on December 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM

It’s just impossible to choose from the above selections.

Obama is an utter loser, which is exactly what I thought last summer.

To be fair, I’d hoped that the Democrats would get some experts to back up this loser dunce. Boy, was I wrong.

disa on December 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

> The problem with SEIU and McCrystal, is that it’s not a gaffe or an amateur moment.

Yes. Thank you. Maybe next year, in addn to Obamateurisms, which are lots of fun, there could be Obundermining of America, or Obansformation to Socialism moments of the week. Separate categories for boners and evil deeds. Whatever. Inshallah.

wkgdyw on December 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

> Which begs the question, what did they do before

That’s not what begging the question means. Google it.

wkgdyw on December 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Heh, just the choices listed are enough fodder for a book.

The Pretender in Chief is the ‘gift’ that keeps on giving.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM

How about this? – he should satrt with his own records.

Schadenfreude on December 30, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Waiting 70 days to speak to McChrystal. As Obama explained after the recent foiled terrorist attack in Detroit, he needs a few days to absorb all the info, make a decision and prepare TOTUS for his remarks. Quite a few days, apparently. I miss Bush and Cheney more and more.

Philly on December 30, 2009 at 2:31 PM

His entire presidency has been an obamateurism. I have to pick only one?

HornetSting on December 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM

wkgdyw on December 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Thanks you for clarifying that for us! Whatever did we do without such insightful genius before you came along?

Whatever. Inshallah.

wkgdyw on December 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Words of wisdom. What an immature douche. Don’t you have anything to add to the discussion?

UltimateBob on December 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I didn’t vote; apathy.

Pathetic

Obama is no different than that relative, family member, of yours that is liberal – saying and doing some of the most asinine things.

But mostly White people felt good, real good, about voting in a marxists that happen to appear ‘black’. How shallow …

He is now declassifying secrets, why doens’t he declassify his College transcript – why, because that alone would have had him lose the elections.

I’d bet $200k that I don’t have – this is the case.

and btw, Mostly Americans feel more like Cheney now, than o-scumbag.

father on December 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Ever notice how many goofs he makes when it comes to numbers in any manner? I wonder if, without a calculator, he could add 2 + 2 and come up with right answer first time.

Oleta on December 30, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Wow. I find myself in the distinct minority here!

I agree the McChrystal thing is probably the most significant thing on the list, but I chose the AIG option.

Why? I feel it best illustrates how this guy works.

A problem arises.
Wait to see poll numbers, discuss what to do internally, etc.
Make your decision known to the public after much of the above dithering.
Still get it wrong.

To me, the poor decision on the AIG situation, along with the accompanying smugness (“I like to know what I’m talking about before I speak”) is a microcosm of this guy’s admin.

RedNewEnglander on December 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM

There’s another way to look at these poll results. It’s a slow day at work so I threw all of the poll results into a spreadsheet and sorted by the number of votes per Obamateurism. The original list above is chronological by poll date. If you re-order the list above based on actual votes you get the following results:

* Throwing Poland under the bus (3,108 votes)
* Obama bows to Saudi King (2,078)
* Obama talks to McChrystal once in 70 days (2,007)
* Giving 2 minutes of “shout-outs” (1,924)
* Change in Iran coming “speech I made” (1,580)
* Warning on deficits (1,552)
* Obama on Gates arrest (1,450)
* Copenhagen for Olympics (1,445)

cannonball on December 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Reading the first few choices I thought “oooh, this is going to be a toughie” then I came to:

Obama talks to McChrystal once in 70 days while SEIU president visits once a week

And realized that Ed had made this one pretty easy afterall.

Some of these I missed like the “20 centuries” one and the “irresponsible” one. Funny how when Reagan accidentally said “employment” was down instead of “unemployment” everyone in the MSM knew about that…

-Aslan’s Girl