Max Baucus: I was totally sober

posted at 9:14 pm on December 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

Whatever. I liked the idea that he might be toasted: It was just before Christmas break, his side had finally achieved its decades-long dream of destroying American health care, and he had to get up and crap out the same old “party of no” talking points we’ve been listening to for six months. Why shouldn’t the man knock back a few? He earned it, damn it.

A spokesman for Baucus released the following statement: “When his friend of 30 years Ted Kennedy, with whom he had fought so hard to provide health care to children, was being used as a cheap foil to oppose health care reform, Senator Baucus gave a passionate defense. Unfortunately, those who want to kill any meaningful reform, turned it into an unfounded, untrue personal smear internet rumor. This is beyond the pale and this type of gutter politics has no place in the public sphere. It is this type of slander that makes Montanans, and Americans, disgusted with the politics as usual in Washington. And what is even more sad is that such a personal attack would be given any validity at all, let alone being elevated to the status of ‘news’.”

Mellow out, really. After a month filled with stories about this tool giving his girlfriend pay raises and trying to have her named a U.S. Attorney, getting liquored up on the floor would be the least of his sins. Exit question: Is MSNBC siding with conservatives on this one? Watch the clip from his speech that they chose to illustrate this story and tell me they aren’t.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

RJGatorEsq. on December 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM

HEH!!!

That’s probably not far off the mark. You see all these stories about his mistress(qualified lawyer x 10)…

woof….

BigWyo on December 29, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Closer examination may show that Harry Reid slipped a provision into Obama care that covers detoxification in a Nevada brothel for Congressional members.

Yoop on December 29, 2009 at 10:39 PM

He was toasted, next.

TXMomof3 on December 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM

As WC Fields once said, “I never drink water because fish f*ck in it”..I see Max follows the same rule….

lovingmyUSA on December 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

LMAO! I’d forgotten that quote, but at least Fields drunken behavior made us laugh… and didn’t take the future away.

TXUS on December 29, 2009 at 10:44 PM

He was toasted, next.

TXMomof3 on December 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Hey, we been missin’ you. Good to see you back.

TXUS on December 29, 2009 at 10:47 PM

“And I love my wife” – so there. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Sure Chief, whatever.

Fuquay Steve on December 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Well if he wasn’t toasted he has some other kind of problem he should look into. I don’t know what else makes you act/sound like that. Pain pills perhaps. It really doesn’t matter because the fact is he’s an idiot whether he’s inebriated or not. Like so many Senators, he’s just a big bellowing bag of hot air. (No offense to HA intended.)

scalleywag on December 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Rule for congress:

Saying “You Lie” to a liar = Disgrace
Drunk on the job spending billions = Honor, Ted Kennedy would be proud of.
Why is this nation broke… I can’t figure it out?

Indian Outlaw on December 29, 2009 at 11:23 PM

He was drunk.

The giveaway was when he called Barbara Boxer “Sugar Tits” as Schumer was dragging him out.
__________

RJGatorEsq. on December 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Bwaahhhh.

Geochelone on December 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I don’t know which is worse — that he was drunk on the floor of the Senate when he made that speech, or that he was not drunk on the floor of the Senate when he made that speech.

/If I was him, I’d go with the “I had a few too many” defense.

AZfederalist on December 29, 2009 at 11:26 PM

A spokesman for Baucus released the following statement: “…Unfortunately, those who want to kill any meaningful reform, turned it into an unfounded, untrue personal smear internet rumor. This is beyond the pale and this type of gutter politics has no place in the public sphere. It is this type of slander that makes Montanans, and Americans, disgusted with the politics as usual in Washington. And what is even more sad is that such a personal attack would be given any validity at all, let alone being elevated to the status of ‘news’.”

Unless, of course, your name is Sarah Palin.

Or you’re a conservative who opposes Obamacare.

GrannyDee on December 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Ha! For the record, I noted that he appeared drunk at 4:41 pm on December 22nd right after he made his slurred speech on CSPAN so just for fun I’m going to claim credit for starting this “rumor”, although if I read the statement correctly that makes me guilty of “slander”. Good thing this is an anonymous blog:)

i.i.r.c., the faux outrage about Ted Kennedy was in reference to a statement McCain made about how there was more aisle crossing and less door locking when Kennedy sponsored legislation and there was nothing “cheap” about that observation. Of course if you’re a Dem you own Ted Kennedy just like some people indignantly insisted that Michael Jackson was theirs. If they want to play this game they can totally have Che’ Guevara, Hugo Chavez, and Fidel.

Buy Danish on December 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM

“Where’s the courage?”

ya2daup on December 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I was totally sober

He’s a lier and a drunk? Go figure….

Unfortunately for America he’s in the right line of work.

FloatingRock on December 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM

If he wasn’t drunk, I’d hate to think of what he sounds like when he is drunk!

unclesmrgol on December 30, 2009 at 12:02 AM

“It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘was’ is.”

Dopenstrange on December 30, 2009 at 12:11 AM

We were offering you the only reasonable defence for your behavior.

You want to own that as your cold stone sober performance, well, have at it chump.

TexasDan on December 30, 2009 at 12:23 AM

You Tube parody (featuring Senator Baucus): Great Drunk Moments — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6UDyCXaIzg

Mervis Winter on December 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Downright Bacchanalian. *snort*

Mojave Mark on December 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM

My friends tell me that I say the same thing after having more than a dozen beer. Especially my friends tell me that I insist I can drive fine.
———-
He gave an intoxicated slurry defense with the passion of a drunkard. This is beyond the pale and this type of gutter politics has no place in the public sphere. It is this type of slandergutter behavior that makes Montanans, and Americans, disgusted with the politics as usual in Washington.
———-

antisocial on December 30, 2009 at 12:42 AM

the leftists are waging jihad against their own Senators for the healthcare debacle. pass the popcorn. oh and we need to pile on too.

elduende on December 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Multiple antidepressants can do that to you. Especially if mixed with other meds. If he is taking any med and is not watching closely interactions, he’s toast. Or he’s hooked to laughing gas. An anesthesiologist died of that, he got addicted in my town.

But I still think he’s a goner…drunk. Is there a straight line somewhere in that room? Make him say the alphabet? Count to 10?

ProudPalinFan on December 30, 2009 at 1:23 AM

LOL!

Anyway, lets say that by the ruffle of his pants you can tell he’s wearing pantyhose and see if he defends the remark.

- The Cat

MirCat on December 30, 2009 at 4:15 AM

He was certainly carrying on so…. Why on earth would someone proclaim to be sober after viewing that tape? To me, it seems a lot more idiotic to keep protesting that this was some wild, unleashed venom that has been harboring in his simple mind, and then now has the opportunity to explode against the wicked and evil right. Should totally admit to full-blown drunkenness,OR, the alternative, the left is, well, the left is……scattered-brain numb and dumb. No other alternative.

betsyz on December 30, 2009 at 4:20 AM

I was totally sober but for some reason I smelled like a brewery and slerred my werds while doing my stand up comedy routine on CSPAN. Tough crowd. Hey I\’m buyin\’, drinks on on me, I love you man. Nancy you Rock babe. Is this thing on? Testing 1,2,3. Where is the camera?

Geochelone on December 30, 2009 at 4:39 AM

“I was totally sober”

Maybe his brain tumor was acting up.

crosspatch on December 30, 2009 at 4:52 AM

I note that in his “defense”, the fact he WAS drunk wasn’t specifically mentioned, just that he was “fighting for healthcare reform”. You can fight drunk, and apparently, that’s what ol’ Max was doing {{{{ BELCH }}}}, “Right honey? Hmmm les’ go home and you c’n be good to ole maxie………(((( b u r p ))))…”

{{{ BELCH }}}

“Who ere’ wassa getaliddle drinky hmmm? ((( belch )))”

bradley11 on December 30, 2009 at 6:01 AM

One for the road:

{{{{{ BELCH }}}}}

bradley11 on December 30, 2009 at 6:02 AM

He was either drunk, on pills, or he was having some kind of stroke. For his people to go on an aggressive defense like that and imply nothing was wrong other than a viscious personal attack seems strange, because he really didn’t sound normal. This leads me to believe he was in fact hammered and they are trying to bluster their way thru it with some self-righteous indignation. I love how they bring up their beloved Saint Teddy, and actually use the phrase “for the children”.

I’m surprised his reps didn’t pull out the standard “He is suffering from extreme exhaustion blah blah blah” line. Don’t they learn anything from Lindsay, Brittany, etc?

Boudica on December 30, 2009 at 6:24 AM

Comrade 0bama has surrounded himself with a historic and unprecedented assortment of idiots and mental missfits.

The Senate healthcare plan is crafted by a semi-functional alcoholic and the national security is in the hands of a clueless nitwit who thinks that terrorism is a man-made disaster.

The most serious mistake was made by Comrade 0bama himself, who sincerely believes that his muslim brothers will change their ways as a result of the bowing and scraping that he does around the world.

Stay alert folks, nobody has your back.

joe btfsplk on December 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM

“When his friend of 30 years Ted Kennedy, with whom he had fought so hard to provide health care to children, was being used as a cheap foil to oppose health care reform,”

This says he’s lying, but he’s a pol so he will lie about anything.

LtE126 on December 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM

It is a politician of the usual sort that can become morally indignant, cite friendship with the recently deceased, and dismiss what has become a story without any alternative explanation why Max was slurring his words and appeared incoherant. The spokesman could at least have used the Stockdale defense.

highhopes on December 30, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Sorry Senator, sounds like you’ve been hittin’ the bottle to me…hic.

yoda on December 30, 2009 at 7:16 AM

I do hope the GOP has paid attention to this. The political ad writes itself. Out of control Democrats ‘drunk’ on power continue with their pledge to ruin this country by…..(fill in the blank at your choice). I do wish Senator Foster Brooks and his girlfriend the very best I just don’t want to pay for it any longer!!

shov74 on December 30, 2009 at 7:42 AM

The sad part is that there are liberal zombies out there that believe this dolt.

rplat on December 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Hammered.

pugwriter on December 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM

rplat on December 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM

It’s even sadder that there are people who will vote for this kind of crap again, and again, while the rest of us have to pay the wages of these kind of fools.

Yoop on December 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM

The local rag ran his story on this yesterday. Max supposedly has a halting manner of speaking, and this was ta total smear. Pardon me while I lmao. People in Montana don’t like it when people drink and drive, two local girls where hit and killed Sunday night. We don’t like being made a laughing stock,either. This can be used in the future if he runs again.

Kissmygrits on December 30, 2009 at 8:09 AM

So when a drunken womanizer like Kennedy dies, it’s ok for the other drunken womanizers in the Senate to drown their sorrows in the Senate cloakroom? And then stagger out to the floor?

Wethal on December 30, 2009 at 8:16 AM

The guy is totally baked. His speech could have been delivered by Foster Brooks.

Pavel on December 30, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Denials made through spokespeople are easier to walk back later. He sure sounded hammered to me, and I’ve been listening to him a few hours a day on WCSP in finance committee hearings since the Fall…

DrSteve on December 30, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Isn’t this what they all say when they get pulled over?

Drunk and lying, or lying drunk, take your choice.

tarpon on December 30, 2009 at 8:50 AM

“I swear to drunk I’m not God”.

bloviator on December 30, 2009 at 8:50 AM

He says he was not drunk. I hear slurring…. Unless a breathalizer says he was sober OR Teddy has possed his body the ass lice was drinking!!!

charmingtail on December 30, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Yeah he was drunk…….drunk with “power”

grapeknutz on December 30, 2009 at 9:11 AM

His spokesperson’s response indicates that they were at lunch together and shared the same amount of liquid lunacy.

MSGTAS on December 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM

He is a dem senator…liquor and botox, they go together…

right2bright on December 30, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I think they should pass a “sober bill” in congress, before anyone speaks they have to do a breath analyzer test, or they get a SUI…

right2bright on December 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I have said for years that they should have breathalizers in the house and senate. Don’t drink and destroy our health care!

jeffn21 on December 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Unlike mad max, ted kennedy has been sober for four months and four days.

Dukehoopsfan on December 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Sorry USA, our village idiot has, once again, made Montana look stupid. Honest, Montanans are embarrassed by this fool. Conservatives are mustering forces to defeat Buttcaus in the next election. Once we get him back to Montana we will get him into rehab, both for chemical dependancy and liberalism. Again, apologies to the rest of the country from the State of Montana.

MadinMT on December 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM

My family and friends here in MT, including mostly Rs but a few Ds, are of the unanimous opinion that he was not drunk — he is just a really REALLY lousy speaker and he sounds kind of like that all the time. But I can certainly see from that video why people who aren’t used to Max would think he was plastered.

acasilaco on December 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

acasilaco on December 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Puh-leeeze. If he wasn’t plastered, why would you vote into office a man who sounds like David Hasselhoff on a hambuger bender?

anniekc on December 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM

“The Senator was not drunk.”

“Obama did not bow.”

Who you gonna believe, me or your lyin eyes?”

Renae on December 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM

The only other excuses for his behavior I can come up with off hand are:
1) head injury. There should have been EMS up on Capital Hill to care for him
2) Stroke or TIA. Again, no emergency service personnel on Capital hill.
3) Hyperglycemia. Still, no EMS personnel.
I’m still pointing towards him being drunker than Cooter Brown. That’s the one that makes the most sense.

mizflame98 on December 30, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Hyperglycemia. Hypoglycemia. Sorry.

mizflame98 on December 30, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Max gets the “Drink Like a Kennedy” Award.

Now touch your nose with the index finger of your left hand

Kuffar on December 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM

“Where’s the bipartisanship? Where’s the courage? Where’s the…’hic’…mini bar?”

GreenBlade on December 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM

anniekc on December 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Well, I did not vote him into office. I would much prefer a conservative senator.

Part of the blame falls on the state GOP which ran completely inept campaigns the last two times Max has stood for reelection. In 2002, the GOP nominee was too stressed out by an ad Max ran and dropped out of the race. In 2008, the “GOP” nominee was a former Green Party candidate who is a nice old man but is far, far more liberal than Max. And now we’re stuck with Max until 2014.

I don’t care for his politics, and I wish for a more conservative senator…. I just don’t think he’s a drunk.

acasilaco on December 30, 2009 at 6:43 PM

So Max wasn\’t drunk…but he didn\’t say whether he was on crack!! (Someone better check the drug provisions in Max\’s latest bill…)If Baucus was high, this would explain a lot about his \”health bill\”!!!…but what excuse will the other Democrats use to defend their vote on this bill bull?!?!!

landlines on December 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM