Danish magazine: Obama’s greater than Jesus

posted at 4:10 pm on December 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

Think about it. Jesus? The miracle of the loaves and fishes. The One? The miracle of jobs “created or saved.” Jesus? Water into wine. The One? Money from thin air. Jesus? Capable of being everywhere all at once. The One? Ditto. And of course, people have been known to pray to both.

In fairness, to a left-wing atheist, I’d imagine this is a toughie.

Despite all the compromises, it has finally been possible to ensure something so fundamental, as the right of every American not to be financially shipwrecked when their health fails them. Add to that the biggest ever financial support package in America’s history, a major disarmament agreement and the quickest-ever re-establishment of American reputation.

On the other hand, we have Jesus’ miracles that everyone still remembers, but which only benefitted a few. At the same time, we have the wonderful parables about his life and deeds that we know from the New Testament, but which have been interpreted so differently over the past 2000 years that it is impossible to give an unequivocal result of his work.

Obama is, of course, greater than Jesus – if we have to play that absurd Christmas game. But it is probably more meaningful to insist that with today’s domestic triumph, that he has already assured himself a place in the history books – a space he has good chances of expanding considerably in coming years.

Not the first time this comparison’s been made, needless to say. Exit question one: Are they for real or is this just the, er, Danish sense of humor at work? Exit question two: If they are for real, does this mean FDR is greater than Yahweh? Exit question three: On the “greater than” scale, where does this leave The One vis-a-vis the Beatles?

Update: A silly error on my part, now corrected: This is a Danish magazine, not a German one. Apologies for the mistake.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So much for the term “Great Dane”…

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM

He’s even greater than Mohammed, too. Obama Akhbar!!!

TXUS on December 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

That’s pretty funny.

Also ff the author compared Obama to Mohammed. The author would have death threats by now.

Oil Can on December 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM

When women start screaming “oh Obama” instead of “oh God” during sex then I’ll believe it.

stormin1961 on December 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM

ROFLMAO!!! Over my dead body would I scream out that dolts name. ICK!!!

capejasmine on December 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Oh Jesus.. what did I do now?

upinak on December 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM

You do know the difference between a Lutheran and a Catholic….the Lutheran’s read the bible (an old, very old seminary joke)…

I’m a Catholic and I’ve read the Bible.
Anyway, back on topic, I think both Catholics and Protestants can agree that Obama’s not going to be walking on water anytime soon.

VanPalin on December 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Greater than Jesus? Based on his ability to spend money?…….if that’s it, they may have a point.

ORconservative on December 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Was something lost in the translation of this tripe? Like common sense.

anXdem on December 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

….And all this time I thought he was just a rock star!

For sure?

He’s God?

Actually, you know he might be. Didn’t Reverend Wright say “God Damn America”????

It was a coded message to O Bomber!

Who knew?

GoldenEagle4444 on December 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM

He’s even greater than Mohammed, too. Obama Akhbar!!!

TXUS on December 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

SILENCE! I KEEEEEL YOU!!

Sefton on December 29, 2009 at 4:47 PM

No one has ever been born again by accepting Obama as Lord and Savior, but many have been by accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. Obama didn’t send the Holy Spirit to fill believers as evidenced by speaking in tongues and the other spiritual gifts, yet Jesus did. Shall I go on? How silly these humanistic western Europeans are!

MeAlice on December 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Once John Lennon made a similar comment it was all downhill for the Beatles. Portend?

Mojave Mark on December 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

With colored marshmellows of course!

conservative pilgrim on December 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM

RACIST!

SouthernGent on December 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

WWBHOD?

tommer74 on December 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Of course? Let’s see Obama heal the blind, the deaf, and the lame! Oh no, not the One! He tells them to take a pain killer and die!

But if our Copenhagen Pagans want to test whether Obama is greater than Jesus, why don’t they crucify Obama and see whether he rises from the dead for the New Year?

But it is probably more meaningful to insist that with today’s domestic triumph, that he has already assured himself a place in the history books.

What domestic triumph? Playing golf for three days after 300 Christmas travelers nearly get blown out of the sky? He might be more faithful than Tiger Woods, but that’s not saying much.

As for the Beatles being more popular than Jesus, well John Lennon wanted to imagine there was no heaven. If there’s no heaven, where is Lennon now?

May God bless America, because Obama won’t.

Steve Z on December 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Do atheists give respect to Jesus’s teachings at least in the same way they may do for Plato, Socrates, and other great philosphers? Even removing the religious matters, Jesus is still a great man one of the greatest men in history.

WashJeff on December 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Nope. They don’t even give credit to Plato, Socrates, Aquinas, etc… They are untutored barbarians.

atheling on December 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Is that the bobblehead Obowma?

tbear44 on December 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Oh Jesus Obama.. what did I do now?

upinak on December 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM

You touched our fighting men’s hearts with your gifts of love and support…and it blows me away of how grateful and heartfelt Hawkdriver delivered his message of appreciation.
You, and Cindy, and the others, define what conservative is…you hold what is truly sacred, you respect and honor it.

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Right beside Stalin and Lenin.

Johan Klaus on December 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Is that the bobblehead Obowma?

tbear44 on December 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Is there any other?

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Oh. I never saw it. But I know he and his guys liked the gifts!

upinak on December 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM

WashJeff on December 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Every atheist I have met only respects their own “independent” thinking, which happens to be exactly what all the other atheists think.

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Exactly right. I wish Barack The Magnificent cared as much about our fighting men and women as the majority of the regulars on Hot Air do.
By this way, this imbecilic magazine writer probably has a job waiting for him at MSNBC.

kingsjester on December 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Oh. I never saw it. But I know he and his guys liked the gifts!

upinak on December 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I don’t think it was the “gifts” that he was thankful for…it was the love he felt, the compassion, the caring, the gift (like Jesus, by the way) was just the package, it is what it represented that is of value.

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I hate the term “free-thinking.” Or people who think they “think for themselves.” Because, of course, they’re “independent.”

But they use other people’s words and concepts.

Keljeck on December 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM

The scary thing about this is Obama probably believes it,s true.

thmcbb on December 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Jesus just said that the system worked, doubling down.

Enoxo on December 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM

LMAO!!

bernzright777 on December 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Lutherans sing in four part harmony?

Green Jello?

… potlucks?

Keljeck on December 29, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Choir WIN

Fallen Sparrow on December 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM

that he has already assured himself a place in the history books

Benedict Arnold is in the history books too, so what?

This article has an alternate title, “Why Americans Should NOT Model Our Domestic And Foreign Policy On The Whims of EuroTrash.”

Branch Rickey on December 29, 2009 at 4:57 PM

But they use other people’s words and concepts.

Keljeck on December 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Just like everyone else…but they don’t think so, they think they are “independent” and “objective”…objective is the other buzz word they like to use.

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Jesus….B+?

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Yeah, you can’t bother but be bound by the words and concepts you are given, no matter how “independent” you want to be. It’s so easy to point this out, but it takes forever if ever to get them to realize it.

Keljeck on December 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Danes always were a little nuts or a lot stoned.

tarpon on December 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I guess redeeming mankind doesn’t count for them.

Proof that lefties have no souls?

malclave on December 29, 2009 at 5:02 PM

If the Danes think he’s so great, ask them how come he has publicly FAILED two times in their own capital?

PJ Emeritus on December 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM

So much for the term “Great Dane”…

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Only one Great Dane-former NFL placekicker Morten Andersen!

Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Obama has turned money into paper. He’s turned peons into tsars. He is working on ‘heeling’ the sick, using the famous ‘pivot’ move.

GnuBreed on December 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM

The great fall of Barack Hussein Obama.

Key West Reader on December 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Error 404?

Midas on December 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM

RACIST!

SouthernGent on December 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

ACK!!! I’m innocent! Please don’t simplesimon me.

conservative pilgrim on December 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM

There’s a little problem for any jerk (and there seems to be a lot of them) who thinks obama is greater than the Son of God — it’s called the Resurrection. Something obama will never be capable of. Not even John Lennon or Houdini were able to come back from the dead. And we have proof of Jesus’ Resurrection.

simeon on December 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Only one Great Dane-former NFL placekicker Morten Andersen!

Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Actually, Paul Elvstrom….four consecutive Olympics, four consecutive gold medals…

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Error 404?

Midas on December 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM

my fault, let me try again if this doesn’t work the original link at 4:20 still does

RushBaby on December 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM

OBAMA IS A TRAITOR AND SHOULD BE IMPEACHED AND BROUGHT UP ON CHARGES OF TREASON.

Cybergeezer on December 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM

The senate passes a health care bill so Obama is greater than Jesus Christ. Jesus, Mary and Joseph these people are disgusting.

Ted Torgerson on December 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Red and yellow, black and white, we are equal in his sight…

Mmm-mmm-mm!

JetBoy on December 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM

simeon on December 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM

As a Christian, I’m not ready to say that the Shroud of Turin proves the person wrapped in it was Jesus, nor does it prove the Resurrection – even should the shroud be proven to be an authentic relic from the appropriate time period.

Perhaps I’m mistaken; I’ll peruse that site a bit more later (thanks for the link).

Midas on December 29, 2009 at 5:18 PM

WWBHOD?

tommer74 on December 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Vote “present” and then take a vacation.

ya2daup on December 29, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I’m a Catholic and I’ve read the Bible.

Van Palin, I’m a Catholic too, and was offended by that idiotic drivel that I emailed the author and told him he is an idiot. And sacrilegious, obviously. What a jerk…

chai on December 29, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Only one Great Dane-former NFL placekicker Morten Andersen!

Del Dolemonte on December 29, 2009 at 5:04 PM

As a scientist I gotta disagree and offer: Niels Bohr

ya2daup on December 29, 2009 at 5:24 PM

simeon on December 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM

The Miracle Tortilla of New Mexico
The Jesus Fish Stick
The ‘NunBun’ of Nashville, Tenn.
The Holy Eggplant
You can’t eat a Shroud, I say these are the true statements of Jesus…

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Of that, I have no doubt.

Rae on December 29, 2009 at 5:30 PM

stormin1961 on December 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM

You obviously haven’t read any of Kathleen Parker’s or Peggy Noonan’s columns the last 18 months.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Obama = Jesus?

That’s soooo last year.

Besides, I’m thinking he has more in common with Judas.

CPT. Charles on December 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Years ago, when the Beatles claimed to be more popular than Jesus, I didn’t get too excited. Jesus WASN’T that popular then and He’s not that popular now. If He were, people would be doing what He told them to do. Popularity?

“Then a mighty roar arose from the crowd, and with one voice they shouted, “Kill [Jesus], and release Barabbas to us!” Luke 23:18 NLT

“Pilate argued with them, because he wanted to release Jesus. But they kept shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!” Luke 23:20-21 NLT

Obama greater than Jesus? Among His miracles, Jesus also gave sight to the blind, cast out demons and raised the dead. Clowns like the writer of this garbage will always be happy to serve evil and call it “good”. Somewhere a Dane is totally stoned on his ass and he’s writing crap like this.

oldleprechaun on December 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM

The point of the article seems to be that Jesus really wasn’t that great. If so, what’s the point of comparing President Obama or anyone else to Him?

If Jesus was just some guy that told stories a couple of thousand years ago then every Nobel Prize winner, Medal of Honor recipient or Academy Award winner is greater than Jesus.

If Jesus wasn’t that great then what is the author’s point in comparing anyone to Him at all? This is the “journalistic” equivalent of running naked across a baseball field. Just trying to get shock attention and cause a “scandal.”

29Victor on December 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Now I begin to understand why so many equate liberalism with insanity.

jeanie on December 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I kid you not….if you look at the videos of Odumbo speaking wisdom to the small peeps you can see the women (and possibly some of the men) all yelling the same thing to teh one…I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABY!!!!! No wonder Mo always looks so miserable. Guess she’s wondering if she is not the only one with teh one. Just sayin…

sicoit on December 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM

isn’t Denmark the one place that any kind of drugs aren’t illegal? Looks like they are smoking some really, really good sh*t over there

Niteowl45 on December 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I’m sure the point’s already been made, but the redemption of mankind benefitted more than ‘a few’.

This article is willing to say that Jesus was able to perform miracles but stupid enough to think that they only benefitted a very small number of people.

BadgerHawk on December 29, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Will Obama be talked about in 2000 years from now? Or even in 100 years?

Crux Australis on December 29, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Today, his historic Health Reform is being passed through the American Senate – a welfare policy breakthrough that several of his predecessors have been unable to manage.

He comes from humble beginnings and defends the weak and vulnerable, because he can identify himself with their conditions.

So being forced, against my will, to buy something with my money that I don’t want is me being “defended”? Being forced to pay a fine or face jail time if I refuse is good for me?

Damn, quit defending me guys, I can’t afford all this assistance and help.

gekkobear on December 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Is it Copenhagen or Copenhogen? I forget which…

joe btfsplk on December 29, 2009 at 6:23 PM

AP-DK is Denmark. DE is German (Deutschland). This article is from a Denmark site.

conservative pilgrim on December 29, 2009 at 4:14 P

C’mon, guys. Take it easy on Allah. He doesn’t speak “Denmarkian”.

FishFearMe on December 29, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Alleluia, we’ve been “saved”. NOT!

GarandFan on December 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I’m still saying twenty four months later, shave his head and find the three sixes…Anyone?…….

adamsmith on December 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Not only that, but under Obamunism, Americans won’t have any pesky financial wealth to lose at all. We’ll be paying it all in taxes to pay for all the “free” healthcare and stuff.

venividivici on December 29, 2009 at 9:01 PM

MeAlice on December 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM

simeon on December 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Weeell, I think you two might have to work I liitle bit harder to convince me he ain’t Jesus. Simeon, O ain’t died yet, so how we know he ain’t gonna rise from the dead?

chris999 on December 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I don’t care if Obama is Jesus, I still don’t wanna join his church. At least the old Jesus only made you give him ten percent of your income.

chris999 on December 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Uh, I guess it depends on what your definition of sex is.

chris999 on December 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

chris999 on December 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM

No, Jesus didn’t make you give anything. Will has quite a bit to do with what Jesus desires of you, while will has very little, and compulsion very much, to do with what Obama wants of us.

unclesmrgol on December 29, 2009 at 11:58 PM

unclesmrgol on December 29, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Well, I think you may be taking me a little bit too literally.

But you remind me of an important point that a lot of the mainstream Protestant and Catholic churches seem to have missed about Jesus’ teachings. There is nothing in the gospels requiring Christians to hand their money over to the state to provide for the needs of their fellow man. However, I believe it is part of the Christian faith to use my own personal means and action to aid those in need. The individual Christian must act. I hear too many sermons preaching the social gospel – telling me I must empower the state. That’s what the religious left preaches, and they are extremely powerful.

chris999 on December 30, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM

True, I haven’t. But then I forgot how Matthews and Olbermann scream it out in orgasmic delight everynight.

stormin1961 on December 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM

This may be a good thing. The more liberals believe Obama is the Messiah then more of them will drink the Kool-Aid when the time comes.

AaronGuzman on December 30, 2009 at 1:08 AM

President A.D.D. greater than God? Since when do Barry’s Believers accept there is a God?

shov74 on December 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM

The last guy who claimed to be better known in the world than Jesus got shot. GOD don’t like ugly.

Kissmygrits on December 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Below is a copy of my letter to the editor of this Danish rag (and their response):

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reaction. I will pass it on to the editorial writer concerned.With best regards,

Julian IsherwoodEditor – News in English POLITIKENRådhuspladsen 37DK-1785 København V Tlf: +45 49 76 50 22Mobil: +45 40 36 01 29

From: Sayabule1
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:39 PM
To: Julian Isherwood
Subject: Obama greater than Jesus

Dear Sir,

I am not sure what planet you are living on, but it certainly does not come close to resembling our beloved planet Earth. If you love Obama so much, please take him to your planet. As you may have noticed, an ever increasing majority of Americans have finally realized that he is a total and complete bafoon. Your public slobbering over him and lust for the words dripping from his mouth are truly disgusting. I am not sure if you are Christian, but even comparing him to Jesus – let alone saying that he is greater than Jesus – is truly sad and despicable. Indeed, I think that you might need serious mental help.

What you and all of your socialist European friends will come to realize in time is that the American people reject statists like Obama and, contrary to your hopes and dreams, we will overwhelmingly vote him out of office in 2012. Mark my words. He will be known in history as nothing more than a weak and ineffective politician who gained our highest office on lies, deceit, and the main-stream media’s narrow and fleeting desire for a politician that was not George W. Bush. Much like America’s current views towards Tiger Woods, Obama’s popularity is dropping like a stone because the proverbial ivory tower created by the media (and morons like you) cannot withstand the events of the real-world.

As to your comment about the “historic health reform” bill that may be enacted into law, the only thing historic about it is the epic debt and economic misery it will bestow upon my childen and grandchildren – not to mention the unprecedented corruption associated with buying off several members of the U.S. Senate in order to gain passage. Ironically, this so called “welfare policy breakthrough” will guarantee Republican control of at least one house of Congress in the 2010 elections and might very well signal the end of the Democrat party in the Southern U.S. for 1-2 generations. Your ignorance of American society and politics is apparent from your writing. Keep it up and you might just be able to write for the New York Times:)

Best of luck to you and yours. I will envision you writing your next “editorial” about your Messiah while wearing knee-pads and a baby-bib (you will need them to prevent your knees from getting abrasions and to catch the slobber from your drool).

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Thomas Jefferson: “Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have … The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.”

Best regards,

Sayabule1

sayabule1 on December 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

If O’bama can’t do it, nobody can ! AP aren’t there other things to start a thread on besides this drivel?

Fuquay Steve on December 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Fuquay Steve on December 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

LOL.

atheling on December 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM

If they like him so much, they can have him. I would gladly suffer through the rest of his term with someone happily less then the son of God.

drocity on December 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM

I am loving all your comments today! Hot Air readers are so witty!

I agree, let the Danes take him. Oops, Him. (You should uppercase the Deity). And MO. And Valerie Jarrett. And Rev. Wright. And the czars.

At least Jesus’ disciples didn’t promote fistgating. Basically that’s what Obama is doing to America.

manateespirit on December 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM

This editorial is a tongue in cheek satire piece.
And most of the Danish replies to this editorial
have been that Americans are crazy if they think this about Obama.

Willow on December 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I’d like to think that the real Jesus would have been able to get the olympics to come to his hometown if he really wanted it to.

DrAllecon on December 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Phew…they only said he was better than Jesus, not actually Jesus. So no need for a second look at Obama the anti-Christ. What a relief./

Will Obama be talked about in 2000 years from now? Or even in 100 years?

Crux Australis on December 29, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Well, assuming the movie is wrong and the world doesn’t end in 2012, I bet he’ll be talked about in at least 100 years. Being the One who puts the final nails in the coffin of the greatest country on earth has to be worth a few words while the peasants are sitting around the fire in a cave somewhere.

pannw on December 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM

The Miracle Tortilla of New Mexico
The Jesus Fish Stick
The ‘NunBun’ of Nashville, Tenn.
The Holy Eggplant
You can’t eat a Shroud, I say these are the true statements of Jesus…

right2bright on December 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

right, you are not 2 bright. You think you are so clever with your dumb comments. In every Shroud presentation I have given, I’ve always stated I could talk until I am blue in the face about the science, history and spirituality of the Shroud, but that means nothing. What really matters is what you say. Every one on this planet who has seen the Face on the cloth has to answer the same question Jesus asked Peter:

But Who do you say I AM?

Only the individual can answer that question and you have publicly done so. So you can be irreverent all you want and think there are no consequences because of some idiotic images of junk that have nothing to do with the Shroud, but are designed to disorient not-so-bright people like you. Therefore, continue on your way and ignore the evidence. As an aside, the Person whose Face graces the Shroud was once asked by two nuns 100 years apart from each other the same question from each: how is it that God tolerates blasphemy on this planet? Jesus’ response was simple and devastating. He said:

I have Eternity for punishing.

Have a Happy New Year!

simeon on December 30, 2009 at 2:47 PM

This is so offensive on so many levels its unbelievable.

May the Lord have mercy on this writer’s soul.

Niere on January 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

29Victor on December 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM

But hey, Allahpundit lives for this sh!t. Please don’t spoil it for him.

kg598301 on January 1, 2010 at 8:24 PM