Oh my: McCain working on getting another Democrat to switch? Update: Carney says no

posted at 6:52 pm on December 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

And so the decade comes full circle, with Maverick talking to Democrats about switching parties. Except this time, he’s the hunter, not the hunted.

Second look at McCain?

Democratic Rep. Chris Carney received a phone call Wednesday from Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) asking him to consider becoming a Republican, a top GOP official told POLITICO.

A spokesman for Carney declined to say if the congressman was considering such a switch…

A top House Republican aide, wanting to avoid revealing a poaching patrol, downplayed the effort.

“You’ve got to have a willing partner; you don’t just hunt these guys down,” said the Republican. “They have to nudge you first.”

But the aide acknowledged that they had gotten “a nibble” from Carney and were now making the pitch that he’d be better off switching parties than running again as a Democrat in a northeastern Pennsylvania seat that President Obama lost by 9 percentage points last year.

Carney won easily last year, 56/44, even in a solidly McCain district and felt confident enough about reelection to vote for the stimulus in February. In fact, on that legislative scorecard I posted yesterday, he’s slightly to the left of Griffith. Pretty amazing that the GOP thinks he’ll be formidable enough next year, even in the poisoned climate of huge unemployment and ObamaCare bitterness, to try to flip him instead of knocking him off cleanly in the general. There’s no Dixiecrat dynamic to worry about here: Unlike Griffith’s seat, the GOP had a lock on this one until just recently. Why flip him when you can whip ‘im, especially with grassroots righties eager to flex their muscle by running conservatives against centrists in primaries?

As for Griffith, here’s the scene from the House floor today when the ceremonial committee de-pantsing took place. And of course, the whisper campaign is gearing up as we speak.

Update: Most of the article’s behind a reg wall but Roll Call says Carney has nixed the switch. I wonder what the Dems have on him. Or did Politico’s source mess up the deal by leaking information too soon?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

chickasaw42 on December 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM

i figured he may be treading water in the primaries on either ticket at this point. he may as well come around full circle at this point to make the sell out complete. maybe a single bullet theory for those low hanging…

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Carney’s probably just playing games to get as much money as Nelson and Landrieu did.

Mark1971 on December 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I’m in Carney’s district, and can’t say I’ve been happy with anything he’s done. Don’t care if he gets bribed by the Dems, no one here will see any money trickle down anyway, as we are the most corrupt area of Pennsylvania.

I don’t care what label they carry – D or R – if they vote against my values, I vote against them. Should Carney flip to R and win in a primary, I would most likely vote for the Dem in November over a Republican Chris Carney (unless the Dem is a Reid- or Pelosi- type!). This way if the Dem won at least we’d have the opportunity to get a conservative in the next election, rather than have Carney the closet Democrat vs. an acknowledged Democrat.

Ultimately, I’d prefer we just wipe the slate clean and start over, instead of trying to move the writing on the wall from one area to another.

SouperConservative on December 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Just what we need more RINOs.

Dandapani on December 23, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Not sure I trust these folks switching sides. Could be they’ve seen that they are toast in 11 months and are just grasping at straws. I think it’s a good idea to get a few of them to switch to build momentum, but I really think the best hopes for true conservative pick-ups are in the so-called “blue dog” districts. I’d hate to give too many of those away to people who were perfectly happy running on the Dem platform a year ago.

jdp629 on December 23, 2009 at 8:32 PM

And in his two terms in the House, Carney, a Blue Dog, has been a fairly reliable leadership vote. He supported the stimulus earlier this year and recently provided a key vote on health care and financial regulation legislation

Awesome sounds like a guy McCain would love to have on board the GOP, why not just ask Obama to come on over and make the entire House, Senate and Whitehos a Fascist State!

Oh and a question for the McCain Jock Straps….
Where was the gang of 14 when it came to stimulus or HealthScare?
Maybe the genius McCain got suckered on that one too.
Given the Dems what they wanted and gettin diddely squat in the process!

dhunter on December 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM

and every one of the 40 Republicans said ‘Nay.’
onlineanalyst on December 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM

the vote may have been 60 to 40, but I don’t think every Republican said ‘Nay’. Roll call vote. It seems that Inhofe (R-OK), didn’t care to vote. Not that it mattered in the outcome.

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I think it’s brilliant. Imagine 2, 3, 4 blue dogs switching over to the GOP in rapid succession, at the moment of Obamacare’s climax. It’s not the votes that count (unless we’re talking Senators) it’s the energy, the momentum, the message.

joe_doufu on December 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Because clearly what we need is more liberals in our party!

I think Democrats have shown that if you do not have strong party people, you have a fight on your hands to get legislation passed.

Enoxo on December 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Second look at McCain?

It’s an election year for him in 10 days and this kind of BS is designed to help us unwashed to forget what a G.D. RINO he is and always will be!!!!!!!

katy on December 23, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Arizona get me an absentee ballot up here to Iowa and I’ll gladly vote against the inarticulate old panderer!
Ever since I donated to SARAH during the campaign the Old lecher has been stalkin me, sendin emails askin for money!

He’s a Good Old Boy whose respnosible for helping rig the system so its’ almost impossible to get rid of incumbants.

He’s everything thats’ wrong with D.C.
Out of touch Good Old Boys who think they know whats’ good for we who pay the bills!
Get Rid Of McCain!

dhunter on December 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM

What good would he do for the Pubs other than a symbolic vitory? I do not see a real benefit when he switches as Nancy still has a huge majority. Maybe the momentum of two House members flipping this quickly is worth it! I really cannot get behind someone who can change his position like that, leaves a bad taste, even if it helps in the short run.

bluemarlin on December 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM

McCain needs to work on getting Stupak to switch.

WordsMatter on December 23, 2009 at 8:52 PM

dhunter on December 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM

without a doubt, straighten’ the curves and flatten’ the hills

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

FLIPPING WILL PREVENT FURTHER DAMAGE UNTIL ELECTIONS SINCE AFTER THAT THINGS CAN BE FILIBUSTERED

IT’S POLITICS, GIVE AND TAKE: MORE CLEANUP WORK AFTER NEXT NOVEMBER OR LITTLE BIT LESS CLEANUP WORK BUT PREVENTING FURTHER DISASTERS.

mooseburger on December 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Hemorrhoidal hypocrites usually shoot themselves in the foot due to their lack of vision caused by having their heads up their arses which makes it harder to see said foot. Butt proximity to head usually makes it easier to avoid shooting themselves there. Specter seems capable of doing both. Wait a minute–your right, he could revert back to RHINO status again as he’s proven himself well qualified!

chickasaw42 on December 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

mooseburger on December 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I wish he was in the Senate, unless I read wrong, he is a Congressman.

bluemarlin on December 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I haven’t read the comments but I’m going to predict a bunch of anti McCain nonsense (“you had your chance” and so forth) and I’m sure somebody’s going to call him Juan McCain or something.

Anyways…good for McCain and I hope he’s successful. We need as many people on our side as we can get.

Narutoboy on December 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM

mooseburger on December 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

There’s no filibuster in the House.

Bounce the Dem. We don’t need more liberal Republicans.

Chris_Balsz on December 23, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Self-serving link, but my favorite pic of John McCain.

VoyskaPVO on December 23, 2009 at 9:05 PM

On His Way To defeat
When It Took Him By Surprise
And With One Pull Of The lever
His lag Would vanish Overnight
Dancing By The Roadside
Holding On For Dear Life
Then a Gov From Out Of Nowhere
Started a new life.

I Don’t Mind
Single File Down The Runway
Feelin’ Fine
And I’ll See You My Friend
Over And Over Again

Who Can We Get On The Case?
We Need Sarah Palin

They could wind Up dead

I Don’t Mind
Draw The Line, Then Draw Me An Arrow
Feelin’ Fine
And I’ll See You My Friend
Over And Over Again

Who Can We Get On The Case?
We Need Sarah Palin
Someone To Put You In Place
Calling Sarah Palin Again, Again

Wake Me When It’s Over
Tell Me It’s All Right
Just Keep On Talking Sarah
I’ve Been Listening All Night
How Much Did You say to Me
Tell Me It’ll Be All Right

Who Can We Get On The Case?
We Need Sarah Palin
Someone To Put You In Place
Calling Sarah Palin Again
Again Again Again Again

F15Mech on December 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM

My above post should have included apologies to Ozzy.

F15Mech on December 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM

chickasaw42 on December 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I’m sure, given the chance, that the GOP would welcome him back with arms wide open. Conservatives, on the other hand, tend to bend over backwards pushing said head further up stream. Who cares if he represents vote #60, or 59, or 58 for that matter?

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM

As an Arizona Republican I can tell you that this is the way John McCain behaves come election time. Every six years he becomes a raging concervative. Otherwise, not so much!

I sincerely hope we can get rid of the Maverick once and for all.

BillyGoatGruff on December 23, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I sincerely hope we can get rid of the Maverick once and for all.

BillyGoatGruff on December 23, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Amen! Let him become the raging conservative and help if he can, I am still for getting him out next election.

bluemarlin on December 23, 2009 at 9:20 PM

F15Mech on December 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I always liked Matlock.

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Why not get ONE senator to switch so this turd would get flushed?

dthorny on December 23, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I sincerely hope we can get rid of the Maverick once and for all.

BillyGoatGruff on December 23, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Me too brother. JD Hayworth WILL run against him and beat him. Lots of voters in AZ are not happy with McCain.

dthorny on December 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Or did Politico’s source mess up the deal by leaking information too soon?

Duh

I almost commented right off about Politico’s attempt to queer the deal but thought it was too obvious a point. Perhaps not.

Oh my.

KittyLowrey on December 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Hi kitty!;- Maybe we could do both? Flip Carney plus any other dem who’s amenable to the idea AND let grassroots righties flex their muscles against them in the primaries. Make the flippers prove their mettle, demonstrate they are beholden to conservative principles or let the best man win?

leilani on December 23, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Not sure why you felt I needed to be told this but my response is “of course”. Nothing I said implied otherwise.

KittyLowrey on December 23, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Maybe MopeyDick should have sent in his loudmouthed daughter, Meghan ThunderThighs to try and close the deal!

pilamaye on December 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM

But if you encourage Blue Dog Democrats to switch to Republican, you’ll wind up with a bunch of RINO moderates….

Which is exactly why I find it plausible that McCain would be doing this.

There Goes The Neighborhood on December 23, 2009 at 9:37 PM

the McCain hate here makes my ass tired. The dude has done more for the good of this country in his years than ANY of these other douchetards in congress or any of the new conservative icons that have not done squat. The most hilarious part is that if Dubya walked into the room you’d get all weak in the knee’s and say how you much you missed him. Hilarious.

AntonDomi on December 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM

MB4, here’s a request…
how ’bout a McCain Convoy song

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 9:50 PM

too bad, Carney is a good guy, if he is who I think he is, he refused to flip to Obama when the Dems tried to push HRC out by flipping superdelegates

ginaswo on December 23, 2009 at 9:51 PM

What about this one? I watched him on C-span and he sounded too good to be a Democrat. He’s prime for the picking or a good liar…I haven’t researched him, so I don’t know which.

njpat on December 23, 2009 at 9:53 PM

McCain always seemed like a much better backroom dealer than an upfront guy. Too bad he never would have settled for being VP.

Speedwagon82 on December 23, 2009 at 9:55 PM

AntonDomi on December 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Please give details on how he

has done more for the good of this country in his years

I will say that he is not all bad, and I respect him for his service. However I just do get the McCain love that you are talking about.

F15Mech on December 23, 2009 at 9:56 PM

do get = do not get in my last post

F15Mech on December 23, 2009 at 9:57 PM

F15Mech on December 23, 2009 at 9:56 PM

From the little research I’ve done on McCain, he is a Progressive “elite” Republican…much like Obama but from the other side of the aisle. I respect the man for what he’s done in the past, but only voted for him because he was the lesser of two evils.

njpat on December 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM

AntonDomi on December 23, 2009 at 9:47 PM

PRINCIPLES FIRST and then we judge mortals by how they uphold those principles. Both McCain and Bush weakened the First Amendment. They sought open borders. That was dreadful. There’s no excusing it.

Conservative icons have done plenty for America.

They fought McCain.

Chris_Balsz on December 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM

McCain is recruiting vulnerable Democrats to switch to keep out conservative challengers.

pedestrian on December 23, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Jim Webb is the one they should try to flip. Either he flips or they start campaigning against him now and keep it up until 2012.

huckleberryfriend on December 23, 2009 at 10:09 PM

and every one of the 40 Republicans said ‘Nay.’
onlineanalyst on December 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Those were Specter’s words in the email. I am still on his mailing list from the era when he “claimed” to be a Republican.

onlineanalyst on December 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM

huckleberryfriend on December 23, 2009 at 10:09 PM

F Webb

Sen Webb is my Senator.

Like typical Navy talk, or an squid that writes a book…

I would love to turn him upside down and insert my “male member” into his mouth

F15Mech on December 23, 2009 at 10:22 PM

In 2010, I see two ways of going at reachable Dem seats.

For Dems who voted for stimulus, cap-and-trade, Obamacare, etc., just ream them and impress upon the district or state that as Dems they are hostage to Pelosi, Reid, Frank, and Obama.

For Dems who didn’t vote for any or only some of this nonsense, ream they for their bad votes and, again, impress upon the district or state that as Dems they are hostage to Pelosi, Reid, Frank, and Obama.

For each group, impress upon the constituency that the GOP candidate holds the mainstream position, and emphasize that a promise to be independent is no promise at all. The Democratic party has been hijacked by the farthest-left 5% of the party.

The Dems are the incredible shrinking party.

BuckeyeSam on December 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM

onlineanalyst on December 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I inferred that from the comment, sorry I didn’t make clear in the comment that those weren’t your words. In a thread where some commenters don’t care about voting numbers and yet complain about voting outcomes, I wanted to point out that Inhofe is like minded. This gaffe seemed to be overlooked.

disillusioned on December 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Why flip him when you can whip ‘im,

Perhaps the GOP set Carney up? They knew he would reject the offer. And in a conservative district they forced Carney to get on record as to his true leanings as a democrat lap dog. He can’t very well claim conservatism next election when he had the chance to reject the despicable behavior of his party this session. This gives the GOP more ammunition to hammer him on come election time.

If I’m right, expect this to be a common theme the next few months. Putting these traitors on record so they can’t do an Obama bait and switch and claim they have been blue dogs all along. Aren’t a lot of these turds voting both ways on the Obama care bill to provide cover next election? Well, this seems to be a fairly effective way to head them off at the pass, so to speak.

csdeven on December 23, 2009 at 11:26 PM

SouperConservative on December 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Couldn’t disagree with you more. As others have said every “flipper” sends a message of rejection of the Reid/Pelosi/Obama agenda. This is a country that loves winners-every flipper form D to R, makes that unholy trio look more and more like losers, and that is a very powerful message that resonates with the voters.

Beyond the momentum factor, there’s the demonstrable tendency of flippers to move toward the ideological direction of their new party, once they switch (just look at Specter for example, and if you don’t think he’s moved considerably leftward since he switched parties, then you are not paying attention.)

A lot easier to get someone to flip, and keep him in power than to try to beat an incumbent.

joe_doufu on December 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Exactly. If we had more of them, we wouldn’t even be talking about Obamacare right now.

Dreadnought on December 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Here’s a theory to think on. Did McCain’s people leak about Carney because they’re going after someone else?

Zaggs on December 24, 2009 at 12:03 AM

When a politician switches parties I’m reminded of a phrase penned by Will Cuppy in The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody: “He had the courage of his convictions, it’s just that he didn’t have any convictions”.

ya2daup on December 24, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Why would the GOP want a liberal trying to convince a dem to switch? What would he say? “The only difference is the label”?

Vashta.Nerada on December 24, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Once again the Maverick is working hard to insure the total destruction of America as fast as possible. Moderates are the truest form of the worst of government. They help speed up the passage more and more legislation, and an aggressive government is a bad government.

astonerii on December 24, 2009 at 12:15 AM

ya2daup on December 24, 2009 at 12:03 AM

interesting quote.

disillusioned on December 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Is Megan McCain still showing her boobs, I mean mammaries on Twitter?

Did Allah get the chance to squeeze them passionately? What?, they were dating, no?

McCain had his concession speech prepared at the end of July 2008. Rose Parks my ass, … historically and for the smarter people in this world it’s always been deeper than skin color.

Anyone

father on December 24, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Dang it hotair post this video

(Ray Stevens – We The People)

The latest from Ray Stevens, We the People is spreading like fire! visit RayStevens.com or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc_-L4fyLUo

Nearly Nobody on December 24, 2009 at 1:33 AM

I’ll agree with some on this thread that McCain isn’t that bad.

However, he has a history of siding with the ‘rats on some important legislation, and these questional votes are usually tied to how close or how far we are to an election.

My 2cent’s worth.

ConservativeTony on December 24, 2009 at 1:34 AM

McCain and his Democrat handlers want to rat-ify the Republican party because it is causing the Democrats a lot of distress that they don’t have that “bipartisan” thing going for them lately.

McCain and his Democrat handlers will find a way to bring some new bipartisans into the Republican Party. McCain has no room to do any bipartisan maneuvers the way things are right now. He can’t afford to be conspicuous in his natural treasonous form, he needs cover by non-usual suspects because his boy Graham and the Maine witches used up all of their bipartisan cards.

The only reason that Graham, Snowe, Collins, Cornyn, Hutchinson and other fraudulent Republicans who have yet to be exposed, aren’t voting for marxist medicine is because Reid instructed them that the Democrats have the votes so they can play the Republican role for a bit longer. There are about 15 senators who aren’t owned by the Democrat Party at this point.

Buddahpundit on December 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM

I’m glad McCain tried. He’s earning some of my respect back after I voted for him and he turned on Palin.

ErinF on December 24, 2009 at 2:02 AM

I’ll tell you why to flip instead of whip. Pennsylvanians voted out Rick Santorum, an amazing conservative Senator, and left us with Arlen Spectre, that’s why.

scotash on December 24, 2009 at 3:02 AM

dthorny on December 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I hope so too, but McCain has a huge warchest from the Presidential election. He’s already running. I’ve gotten 2 or 3 electronic calls from him.

Tim Burton on December 24, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Now rumors of McCain becoming a Republican- That would be news!

John McCain is one of the tools of the left that need to be thrown out of office so the healing and rebuilding can start. I don’t blame Sarah Palin for her work with a sharpie.

highhopes on December 24, 2009 at 7:10 AM

scotash on December 24, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Don’t forget the RINO wing of the GOP that supported Specter all those years instead of recruiting and mentoring real Republicans.

highhopes on December 24, 2009 at 7:12 AM

Of course he said no . . . after he was publicly exposed he became afraid that he would find a horse head in his bed. The lowly Democrat congress critters are scared to death of chairman Pelosi, comrade Reid and the messiah. This government is sick. I meanbhow can you blame them when their president hangs a likeness of chairman Mao from his holiday tree.

rplat on December 24, 2009 at 7:57 AM

We don’t need any more RINOs we are trying to deplete the herd not increase it.

philly_PA on December 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM

The INTENT of the politico article was to screw it up.

True_King on December 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Or both.

Buy Danish on December 24, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Either way, it sows paranoia on the left. We should float a few more names of dems who are thinking about switching.

Ronnie on December 24, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Paulnuts are worse than RINOs. You’re all dismissed.

mike_NC9 on December 24, 2009 at 10:24 AM

McCain is just a moron and an embarrassment to Arizona. RINO!

ultracon on December 24, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I think a lot of moderate Republicans will start talking like John. *haha

They see what’s working.

AnninCA on December 24, 2009 at 11:19 AM

McCain might be president today if he’d switched to the GOP a few years ago.

Labamigo on December 24, 2009 at 1:18 PM

McCain working on getting another Democrat to switch increase the strength oft he RINO faction?

Fixed it.

Axeman on December 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM

So we are still purging…

RINO building?
Monica

McCain is a back stabbing RINO
astonerii

: Presto! *Pulls Rino out of his hat*
Americannodash

Replace the RINO
dhunter

Just what we need more RINOs.
Dandapani

RINO!
ultracon on December 24, 2009 at 10:28 AM

RINOs…..
mike_NC9

We don’t need any more RINOs we are trying to deplete the herd not increase it.
philly_PA

RINO wing of the GOP

highhopes

RINO moderates….
There Goes The Neighborhood

So a communist majority in the House and a Trotskyite filibuster proof majority in the Senate isn’t enough to get people some caught up with the learning curve. Lets purge everyone so the Al Frankins of the world can run the show. It’s working out really well for the USA.

Boxy_Brown on December 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM

We don’t need tax-raising Democrats to be a farm team for growing new RINO’s!! Anybody who voted for the destructive cap-and-tax or “health care” bills should be prosecuted for dereliction of duty: NOT rewarded with a new term…in either party.

I just learned that a herd of RINO’s is called a “CRASH”. How appropriate!!

Let’s train our elephant guns on the RINO’s in 2010 and never allow our party to be CRASHed again!!!

landlines on December 24, 2009 at 5:07 PM

McCain is a stinking RINO who was on the verge of jumping to the Democrat Party not too long ago.

jay12 on December 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Carney probably would’ve switched parties, but he learned about the multitudes of howling RINO-shooting purists who want to kick out everyone who has less than a 95% ACU rating.

jgapinoy on December 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Boxy_Brown on December 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Well said.

jgapinoy on December 25, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Apparently some people think the answer to socialist Democrats is amoral plutocrats out for pork. It’s just sad how the last big Republican victory – 2004– must not be studied at any cost. It showed a Party promising to do things, and that hurt a lot of plutocrats in 2006. No, what we need are lots of incumbents herded for no particular reason!

If Carney was gonna resonate so big when he switched, where are you now that he publicly refused?

Chris_Balsz on December 25, 2009 at 11:41 PM

McCain needs to work on getting Stupak to switch.

WordsMatter on December 23, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Stupak appears to be the closest thing left to what Democrats were when I was younger. I often wonder if I was simply naive and didn’t understand the true goals of “Progressivism” in my teens and twenties, or if the Democrat party was hijacked, as some claim. Thoughts?

Red State State of Mind on December 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM