DeMint’s amendment to ban vote-buying with earmarks fails, 53/46

posted at 5:31 pm on December 23, 2009 by Allahpundit

A tasty drizzle of shinola atop the heaping open-faced crap sandwich that is ObamaCare. Interestingly, while most of the GOP’s amendments today — like the vote on whether the bill is constitutional — were knocked down along party lines, this one earned seven Democratic votes. The seven? Bayh, Feingold, McCaskill, Merkley, Warner, Webb … and Ben Nelson.

Note also: The amendment would have applied only to future bills, not to this one, so no one was giving up anything by voting against it except the promise of pork to come.

“The American people are disgusted by the earmarks, kickbacks, and backroom deals that have been used to buy votes for this health care takeover,” said Senator DeMint. “We had a chance today to put an end to this practice but Senate Democrats voted for business as usual. 53 Democrats just gave their personal seal of approval to the Louisiana Purchase, Cornhusker Kickback and other earmarks used to bribe senators into supporting this atrocious bill.”

“Democrats have truly hit the bottom on their reckless pursuit of a government takeover of health care. The Democrat majority just voted to retain the culture of corruption in Congress. Just two years ago, Democrats bragged about draining the swamp, but now they’re endorsing political bribery. This is Washington at its worst.”

Senator Ben Nelson (D-Nebraska), who secured a special earmark for his state that forces taxpayers in 49 states to fund Medicaid in Nebraska, first voted against the ban on trading earmarks for votes but switched his vote before the final tally. Senator DeMint responded, “Senator Nelson, unfortunately, is trying to have it both ways, he was for trading his vote for earmarks before he was against it.

Good ol’ Ben, still trying to cover his ass and put the toothpaste back in the tube. Here’s Nebraska’s governor laying into him last night on Greta. When was the last time you saw a state official ripping one of his own senators for succeeding in getting a special federal favor for the state?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

donkichi on December 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Webb’s a weird guy. Anger issues. I hope we still have an election system when he’s up. He’s out. Warner too.

darwin on December 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

DeMint has little affect on the legislative actions by these fascistst but he is establishing a firm recorded trail of corruption.

rplat on December 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

rplat on December 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

The word is “fascists” not “fascistst”

My apologies I missed it on the preview.

rplat on December 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

But he is up for reelection next year

ConservativePartyNow on December 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

NO HE IS NOT!!!

PappaMac on December 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhh,be very quiet,
SarahCuda has her sights locked on to all those careless and arrogant simplistic simpletons that are too busy yap
ping,and not paying attetion to their surroundings,it’s
gonna be a Liberal turkey shoot!

Now,back to regular scheduled commenting,carry on!(Snark).

canopfor on December 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Crapola,thats should be attention,spelling snafu!!Ugh.

canopfor on December 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM

The word is “fascists” not “fascistst”

My apologies I missed it on the preview.

rplat on December 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

rplat: Spelling boo boo,me too!!:)

canopfor on December 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM

The ends justify the means. Lie, cheat, steal- whatever it takes.

alwaysright43 on December 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I, Tuco Ramirez, will tell you something. Those democrat politicians think they are better than I am. And the rest of you too! Where I came from, if one did not want to have to do actual work for a living, one became a democrat politician or a bandit. They chose their way, I chose mine. Mine was harder! I don’t remember for how long, but I tried the democrat political path! I tried, but it was no good! My standards may be low but I do have some standards. Now I am going to tell them something….. they became democrat politicians because they are too cowardly to do what I do.

Tuco on December 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM

NO HE IS NOT!!!

PappaMac on December 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Oh. I though he was.

ConservativePartyNow on December 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

darwin on December 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Pretty much. Me and my bubba compound in Fredericksburg will still have an electoral system come hell or high water. Count on that.

donkichi on December 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Tuco on December 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM

That is my favorite movie. And the sound track is scintillating.

Geochelone on December 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Tuco on December 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM

If you have to shoot, shoot…don’t talk.

BigWyo on December 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Tuco on December 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Spread the word Tuco, spread the word.

darwin on December 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM

For your listening pleasure.

Geochelone on December 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM

The only place where they might be more criminal activity than in the US Congress is the Mafia…and that is debatable.

sdd on December 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Feingold is almost as liberal as they come, but he’s a true idealist and does quite a bit to hold onto some integrity. His voting for the amendment, I would guess, is more out of principle than opportunity, as it falls in line with moves like voting against congressional pay raises ever since he took office.

MadisonConservative on December 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM

When was the last time you saw a state official ripping one of his own senators….?

I held my nose, buttoned my lip, and voted a straight Republican ticket.

According to some, (you know who you are) I was misguided.

franksalterego on December 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM

At least Landrieu didn’t sell herself out on this one!

SouthernGent on December 23, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Disgusting. I am so tired of making phone calls and writing letters and emails to these people. I always have the feeling they are rolling their eyes and making blah blah blah gestures with their hands while I tell them they are liars and thieves etc.

Terrye on December 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I held my nose, buttoned my lip, and voted a straight Republican ticket.

franksalterego on December 23, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I hear ya. Who in their right mind wouldn’t?

darwin on December 23, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I believe 53-47 will be the final vote on Obamacare…assuming Byrd votes (then 52-47). I predict Jim Webb will vote NO, but it’ll be too late then.

SouthernGent on December 23, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Such a ban would be like a little bandage on the gaping wound in the Americans’ formerly federal orders. I don’t think one can set aside federalism as the Americans have and reasonably expect to maintain the other features of the American regime indefinitely. If the Americans don’t somehow manage to restore federal orders, the ongoing revolution will continue to be interesting, if also terrifying. The American case will perhaps serve as an example to others, for thousands of years to come.

Kralizec on December 23, 2009 at 7:29 PM

So much for “Change”.

SoulGlo on December 23, 2009 at 7:33 PM

What really burns me is the impact that this past year will have on my children and future grandchildren. It is literally going to take decades if not more to eventually pay off the debt that has accumulated this year. My question to all of the trolls and the so-called progressives is why do you hate the future generations of this country? There is really no way to explain the support for the systematic dismantling of this country except by having a complete disregard and malice for our future generations.

dawgyear on December 23, 2009 at 7:38 PM

CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!

ultracon on December 23, 2009 at 7:56 PM

November 2010– “Tea’ed” off electorate is going to “tea” all these bastards up and bag em!

chickasaw42 on December 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM

sdd on December 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM

The mafia actually has rules. The liberals don’t believe in rules, unless they are ones they make up as they go along.

Yoop on December 23, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Everywhere we go-o
Vo-ters already know-o
Who we a-are
And what we stand for
So we show them
We’re the spendthrifts
Greasy sleazy spendthrifts
And if they won’t applaud us
We spend a little faster

… and repeat, louder each time, until …

And if they won’t support us
They must be PISSED OFF!

ya2daup on December 23, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Hey AP, I don’t think you’ll ever get elected Whip with those counting skills. 7 Dems voted for it? Don’t you mean 13?

Rocks on December 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Nevermind I was wrong it was a motion to table so a Yea was really a Nay for Demint’s amendment.

Rocks on December 24, 2009 at 12:40 AM

At least you tried Jim Demint and I salute you for it. Its got to be hard to not want to steal from the American people when everyone else around you is doing it to include the POTUS and getting away with it.

bluegrass on December 24, 2009 at 9:55 AM

This is why the 17th Amendment needs repealing.

Send_Me on December 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM