Video: Who’s up for some Christmas-themed global warming propaganda aimed at kids?

posted at 6:27 pm on December 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Big Government, a lump of coal anthracitic carbon in your stocking courtesy of the Build-A-Bear company. Stuff like this used to bother me, but it’s not going away so we might as well adapt and take advantage. Try this on for size: “Dora the Explorer Bombs Ahmadinejad’s Reactors.” Eh? Too violent? How about a special episode of Hannah Montana in which Miley’s family takes out a subprime mortgage they can’t afford and ends up bankrupting the whole town? Teach ‘em early, that’s what I say.

I’ve got a bunch of ideas for atheist children’s specials, too, but I’ll spare you those. (Hint: ACLU sues Santa, proves he doesn’t exist.) If you’re in a hurry here, clip three is the one to watch, although the “ice caps are melting” exchange with Santa — replete with allusion to “The Day After Tomorrow” — near the beginning of clip two is also fun.

Comments

Their store on 5th Ave always scared me.

exception on December 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I’ll build my own bear on gay websites!

SouthernGent on December 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Build a Bear? They can take this special and Stuff It!

(like someone wasn’t gonna do that joke)

DrAllecon on December 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Dang, now Santa can’t even put a lump of coal in people’s stockings lest they use it to make energy.

PackerBronco on December 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM

wow
im currently watching Joe Dirt

didnt think I could find anything more replete with stupidity

thanks AP!

blatantblue on December 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Haven’t they gone out of business yet?

upinak on December 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM

The only thing left to do is tax and tax and tax the developed world’s rich and middle-class, until they give up their energy-guzzling capitalist lifestyle. Bicycles are fun!

RBMN on December 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I plan to cut up my daughter’s and send it back to them.

I wonder what carbon-emitting processes are used to produce their bear-skins and clothing? Or the items in their stores?

PrincipledPilgrim on December 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Marxists, Libs and Fascists do stuff like this all the time.
All that was missing was having the cute little elf fit the polar bear with an environmentally friendly, explosive vest, made in Santa’s workshop. Santa could have air dropped the little suicide muffin down into the middle of some electrical coal fire power plant and blown it sky high.
Give it time.

JellyToast on December 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM

PrincipledPilgrim on December 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Imagine the CO2 released shipping their merchandise.

darwin on December 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

ACLU sues Santa, proves he doesn’t exist.

YOU LIE!

ThePrez on December 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Ugh, and I just bought my youngest a certificate to build a bear.

Sekhmet on December 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Now I know where my grand kids get their silly ideas. Wait until they find out Santa is as phony as man made global warming.

fourdeucer on December 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

GarandFan on December 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Let ‘em all drown. Save us some money.

GarandFan on December 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Build-a-Bearville sound suspiciously similar to Bildeberger.

thomasaur on December 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I recently received a survey from LEGOs saying they wanted my opinion on a new line. So I clicked the linky and the first question was about global warming and do I believe that it is destroying the planet. What does that have to do with Legos? Besides them being plastic and all…

The toy companies are definitely going after the children.

cibolo on December 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

The toy companies are definitely going after the children.

cibolo on December 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

The toy companies have always targeted children, it’s just that they are either being shakendownb or infiltrated by the warmists.

thomasaur on December 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Except of course, the North Pole is just fine. The sea ice extent is about normal now:

Sea Ice Extent

Alarmists hate data that they haven’t “homogenized”.

theCork on December 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Santa real, Yo. Got a stash. Jus’ like Obama. We lub Obama.

TXUS on December 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

As if Christmas was being abused enough already.

podank on December 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

This video:

1. Teaches children that commericalism is king; and
2. Jesus is not the reason for the season.

I wonder parents who take their kids there would mind if I stood outside the store and told their kids, “You know what, little Sally? You’re mother just bought you a ticket to Hell.”

Would that bother them? Because this vid p+sses me off.

madmonkphotog on December 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

This is both wrong and evil.

Dave R. on December 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Poorly written, vile propaganda – but it was uplifting so I’ll give it a solid B+.

Kronos on December 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

The toy companies are definitely going after the children.

cibolo on December 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

thomasaur on December 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Well, yeah, that is what I meant- though not what I typed. Thanks!

cibolo on December 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Hundreds of years ago, before there was Al Gore, adults, some crazy, some stupid, some just mean, liked to scare gullible little children with stories of goblins, witches, vampires, werewolves and other monsters. Sure seems like some adults have regressed back to the Dark Ages.

MB4 on December 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

When I see this tripe I think of the Mencken quote at Ace: I want to spit on my hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.

John the Libertarian on December 22, 2009 at 6:54 PM

So this is build a bear?
Aren’t they just prostituting bears?
Aren’t they really just ingraining into children’s mind that animals are nothing but pets? Just “things” to be used, dressed up and then later, thrown out with yesterdays’ garbage??
Build a Bear is pushing the stereotype of the bear as “Cute and Cuddly!” This is nothing but more species racism! Bears are proud creatures! No bear would ever allow itself to be clothed, decorated or carried around by a child,, forced to sit at a table and drink pretend tea with a flowered hat on its head!
Species Racism! And Build a Bear is the one profiting from it and promoting it! And now they want to come out and try to pretend they care about the planet! Well, if they really cared about all the little animals that have suffered because as a result of President Bush and his policies, they’d give back the millions they have taken in pushing this sick subliminal idea that bears are just property!

JellyToast on December 22, 2009 at 6:55 PM

(Hint: ACLU sues Santa, proves he doesn’t exist.

actually this would be a great commercial for Theism, not Atheism which is on par with beleif in Santa or the Tooth Fairy, given there is no way to Rationally Account for the worldview, unlike the Transcendental Triune God.

Which your boy Hitch found out

jp on December 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM

“Dora the Explorer Bombs Ahmadinejad’s Reactors.”

Muy Bueno!

portlandon on December 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Wow if I had kids I would be VERY upset that these bastards are trying to manipulate them so. Very pissed indeed.

ronsfi on December 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Hey kids…

Getting presents causes global warming.

Enjoy your time off from school sitting in a cave and scrounging for grubs!

Seven Percent Solution on December 22, 2009 at 7:01 PM

MB4 on December 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

At least the old fairy tales were cautionary: Don’t be careless or too trusting, there are some bad ones out there. Sage advice for the Dark Ages.

The moral of this fairy tale is a lie. It’s eco-socialist-propaganda.

theCork on December 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM

What kid is going to sit still long enough to watch one of those videos?

RushBaby on December 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Ha! Ecological Activism from a company that actually charges children to work in their sweatshop making their own bears and then paying for them! This company is obviously run by capitalistic, Marxist, Imperialists, money grubbing hypocrites!

saltydogg14 on December 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM

No. I think it’s pretty damn evil.
Indoctrinating children with false science so you can line your pockets and perpetuate your corrupt ideology.

YoungAmerican on December 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM

My kids are always coming homing preaching the green propaganda they learn at school. Mom and Dad just need to get with the program. All those tree huggers should come to North Dakota. All of the 4WD vehicles up here idle for about 30 minutes before you go anywhere, several times a day. Some people leave their vehicles running in the parking lots. Suck it, green people!

TXMomof3 on December 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I’m looking forward to the EID/Kwanzaa special showing underaged gay children at a winter solstice camp in Ecuador saving the rain forest from corporate greed.

Mojave Mark on December 22, 2009 at 7:12 PM

What kid is going to sit still long enough to watch one of those videos? – RushBaby

None, it’s not for them, it’s for their very gullible, child-like parents.

Tony737 on December 22, 2009 at 7:12 PM

This is absolutely disgusting.

There have been reports of children coming home from school distraught and in tears because of similar propoganda in Australia.

No wonder parents are taking their children out of the public/state run school system in large numbers in Australia.

Crux Australis on December 22, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I love the smell of propaganda in the morning.

WildBillK on December 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Meh.

No, not evil.

Just stupid.

I’ve had my fill of stupidity for multiple lifetimes. It was bad enough that Captain Planet was foisted on my childhood.

meep on December 22, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Whatever idiots titled this show are hilariously ignorant of the fact that Under the North Star is also the name of a three-volume literary work by the famous Finnish novelist Väinö Linna.

ClassicalMusicNerd on December 22, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Flood their order desk with complaints.

daveinguelph on December 22, 2009 at 7:28 PM

The politicization of children disgusts me. Our children are losing their innocence at a younger and younger age these days, and it saddens me.

Red Cloud on December 22, 2009 at 7:31 PM

i actually found this oddly entertaining

MFn G I M P on December 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM

“The ignorant you shall always have with you – along with the poor.”

What I really want to know is can I still ‘build a polar bear’ and drop it from a high rise?!

locomotivebreath1901 on December 22, 2009 at 7:36 PM

if liberals really wanted to convince kids to support AGW then they should just show this hillarious clip repeatedly.

“Just like daddy puts in his drink every morning. and then he gets mad”

MFn G I M P on December 22, 2009 at 7:38 PM

How about the new Obamao Xmas tree at the whitehouse. Seriously!

Check out the Mt Rushmore ornament as well…

AnthonyK on December 22, 2009 at 7:57 PM

PrincipledPilgrim on December 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

You are going to be soooooooooooooooooo popular with your daughter.

Reaps on December 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Bullsh-t.

Not wrong, just evil.

They know full well this AMG global cooling/warming/climate change is a bunch of crap, and their own e-mails prove it. This is a global hoax, dedicated and engineered to the enslavement of billions. Its ultimate aim is to destroy livelihoods and redistribute wealth as the new globalist plutocracy sees fit. Its designed to rob nations of their sovereignty and Mankind of God-given, unalienable rights, reducing them to hand-out dependant ward of the state serfs and peons. Its a hoax designed to concentrate all power and wealth in the hands of the few (ie: UN) and turn all other, ‘lesser’ states into UN subordinated peonages.

If that’s not evil, then you’d better explain what is.

Virus-X on December 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Evil is as EVIL DOES.

leftnomore on December 22, 2009 at 8:41 PM

They pulled the videos I just checked. I am glad they decided to pull it.

Brat4life on December 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Don’t you people listen to NPR the science is settled. Seriously I hope you are listening to it. They only give one side ..the supposedly settled side. They are using your tax money to spread this stuff. Luckily more and more Americans are not buying it and even if they do they know we cannot afford the green boondoggle.

CWforFreedom on December 22, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Wow, I’m convinced. Those fossil fuels are bad.

I’m going to go unplug my furnace right now and turn off all my electrical devices so I don’t use any more…

Gee its cold… are my fingers supposed to be blue?

Why can’t I feel my legs? I’m tire…

/not a true believer, so not either a hypocrite or frozen into a person-sicle.

//if I did believe I wouldn’t be demanding cuts from others first, I’d be the first to risk dying for my beliefs instead of burning food for fuel and forcing others to starve for my ideals.

gekkobear on December 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Evil, wrong, what’s the dif?

Coronagold on December 23, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I actually find this to be very appropriate. Man made global warming is nothing but a fairytale.

Dollayo on December 23, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Not evil, just wrong Not just wrong, but evil.”

FIFY.

Dusty on December 23, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Wow, I think that I just vomited a little bit in my mouth. :(

Theophile on December 23, 2009 at 5:07 AM

All the time they spent on energy-using computers to make this when they could have gone the environmentally-friendly way and made it all hand drawn.

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 23, 2009 at 6:24 AM

Guess the ol bottom line was more important in the end. As Brat4life mentioned, the videos are down and this is up on the site.

Jim708 on December 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM

To paraphrase George Carlin, gotta get ‘em while they’re young. Like the tobacco companies.

Right, liberals?

Good Lt on December 23, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Pathetic.

UltimateBob on December 23, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I have never taken my kids to that store. I love all these companies that charge 20x more than their crap is really worth, then turn around and act like capitalism is eeevil. If I don’t have disposable income, how am I supposed to buy their $400 fossil fuel based teddy bears?

We recently watched some Miser Brothers special made last year where Heat Miser complains that Snow Miser is trying to hide the truth about global warming. We turned the channel.

The media, like the public schools, have every intention of brainwashing kids into believing whatever revisionist garbage they want and turning children against their parents.

ExcessivelyDiverted on December 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Apparently there has already been a big backlash and Build a Bear was getting hammered with complaints. They have already removed the videos from their site and the CEO and founder issued the following statement:

Letter from Maxine Clark Regarding Online Webisodes

December 22, 2009

We have received inquiries regarding our online webisodes and would like to provide you with the following information.

Our goal is to entertain and engage the imagination of children with our stuffed animals, our store environment, and online. Our intention with the Polar Bear story was to inspire children, through the voices of our animal characters, to make a difference in their own individual ways. We did not intend to politicize the topic of global climate change or offend anyone in any way. The webisodes concluded this week with Santa successfully leaving on his journey to deliver gifts around the world. The webisodes will no longer be available on the site.

I started Build-A-Bear Workshop as a place for families and children to come for a fun experience combining imagination, creativity and empowerment. I have always placed great value in the trust that our Guests have in our brand.

At Build-A-Bear Workshop we also strive to encourage kids to help others by participating in their communities. We listen to parents and kids about topics that they are interested in and care about. We especially value the input of parents. We are listening and taking all points of view into consideration for the future.

If you have questions, please contact us:

Guests with questions should contact:
Guest services
314-423-8000
866-232-7269
Guestcomments@buildabear.com

Media with questions should contact:
Jill Saunders
314-423-8000 ext. 5293
314-422-4523 (cell)
JillS@buildabear.com

Investors with Questions should contact:
Investor Relations
314-423-8000 ext.5353
Invest@buildabear.com

Sincerely,

Maxine Clark
Founder and Chief Executive Bear
Build-A-Bear Workshop

ExcessivelyDiverted on December 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Like the tobacco companies.

Right, liberals?

Good Lt on December 23, 2009 at 8:45 AM

BS! It was the liberals that used propaganda to start taking away your rights, starting with tobbaco.
It has worked so well that even conservatives buy into it. So they keep using the same template with global warming, health care, etc, etc. And guess what: A lot of conservtives buy into the
same sort of propaganda.
Like the nazis taught: Tell a lie enough and
people start to believe it.

WildBillK on December 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

theCork on December 22, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Recently read a copy of Grimm’s Fairy Tales that my mom had bought in the 50s. The end of many of the tales would have the witch nailed into a barrel and rolled into the river.

Not sure you could print that now, but I like their ideas on crime and punishment.

TugboatPhil on December 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM

These are the kinds of videos that you can flag as Spam > Scams/Fraud. I kind of doubt Google/YouTube would see it as such though…

onfire4g05 on December 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM