Top House liberal hints: We’re ready to cave on the public option

posted at 7:02 pm on December 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

I figured they would — but not before the Senate’s even voted on its own bill. Why not wait, threaten, and pile up as much negotiation leverage as you can? Either Pelosi’s already put the fear of god into this guy or he’s as big a sucker as Bayh, Lincoln, and the rest of the unbribed Blue Dogs are.

So goes the last, best chance of stopping the bill.

In the inteview, Grijalva confirmed that House Dems were beginning to discuss the idea of revising the Senate bill in conference to move up the implementation date for insurance coverage and make it more in line with the earlier date in the House bill.

I asked Grijalva if he could support the bill if such a change were made, even if it lacked a public option or other similar concessions sought by liberals…

Asked if he was suggesting that he’s open to supporting such an outcome, Grijalva answered in the affirmative, but insisted that he would have to evaluate the changes in conference before making any decision. He said House liberals would continue to push for a public component and a repeal of the anti-trust exemption for insurance companies. And he demanded that conference negotiations not merely “rubber stamp” the Senate bill.

“We need a win on our side of the aisle,” Grijalva said. “That’s very important politically.”

Is there anything left in this bill that’s not about political face-saving? Nelson needed the Medicaid bribe, Reid needed it passed by Christmas, and of course the bill itself needs to be passed because … it’s “very important politically.” Sean Trende saw it coming from a mile away:

To begin, very few of the progressives are likely to kill the bill, just as, at the end of the day, Feingold, Sanders and Burris all voted for the bill. The impending retirements of Congressmen Tanner, Gordon, and Baird have probably given Pelosi a few extra votes to play with. Moreover, a public option-less bill gives some of the less conservative “noes” some cover to vote yes; Democrats like Adler (NJ-3), Boccieri (OH-16), Davis (AL-07), and Teague (AZ-05) come to mind. This could offset losses among the progressive caucus.

I’m also guessing that there were ten-to-fifteen Democrats who voted “no” who were available for the Speaker if she really needed them, or wanted them badly enough. Given the buy-offs of Senators Nelson, Sanders and Landrieu, it is pretty clear that no price is too high for the leadership and the White House…

Their only hope for a good outcome is that the bill passes, and Obama somehow convinces the nation over the course of the next year that it was a good thing, that unemployment declines substantially, and that his popularity rises. This isn’t particularly likely, but it is the only path that offers some hope of survival for Democrats in marginal seats.

Translation: It is indeed very important politically that something pass, which is why even a fight fight fightin’ nutroots hero like Grijalva is prepared to break the left’s heart. As for the other wing of the caucus, Stupak’s Blue Dog, expect a few dozen of them to sell out too — if Pelosi needs them — once they get a bill without a public option in front of them. Stupak’s talking tough and he’ll surely vote no himself, but a lot of the pro-life votes he attracted last time were likely due to the fact that Pelosi simply didn’t need them and could afford to give them cover. She may need them now. Repent, for the end is nigh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oops! Zach W. is my congress person/critter.

Pelayo on December 22, 2009 at 8:23 PM

First, I admit, I know almost almost nothing about procedures in congress. But, for the life of me, I find it hard to believe that Republicans in congress cannot do more than they already have to stop this bill.
What are they really doing with their time??

JellyToast on December 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM

BigWyo, FU and I don’t mean Felix Unger.

Pelayo on December 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Pelayo on December 22, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I regretted that as soon as I posted it….

Just a little miffed lately.

BigWyo on December 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Have you folks in Nebraska planned any kind of a ‘welcome home’ party for the sorry POS?
farright on December 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Not yet, but we organize pretty quickly here. I am praying he is stuck in an airport for Christmas. Earnestly.

Wow, yer state has 3 senators??

You must have had Obama for your Civics teacher.

BigWyo on December 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM

LOL! Beat me to it.

OmahaConservative on December 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM

If this is the proper point, it looks as if objection just leads to a formal vote.

•AFTER PASSAGE Going to Conference, Motions to Instruct Conferees, Matters Out of Scope of Conference
•Going to Conference – The Senate must pass 3 separate motions to go to conference: (1) a motion to insist on its amendments or disagree with the House amendments; (2) a motion to request/agree to a conference; and (3) a motion to authorize the Chair to appoint conferees. The Senate routinely does this by UC, but if a Senator objects the Senate must debate each step and all 3 motions may be filibustered (requiring a cloture vote to end debate).

Here is a link listing procedural tactics, I do not know much about Keith Hennessy

bluemarlin on December 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM

In this one, your right-wing paranoia is right: the only reason this bill is important is because it brings us one step closer to single-payer.
Bleeds Blue on December 22, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Nah. You guys are too incompetent.

Look at what the bill was a week ago compared to later in the week.

All the liberal costs control schemes were dropped like a dress on prom night. Healthcare stocks were at 52 week highs by the end of the week.

Chuck Schick on December 22, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Lest there be any doubt re who Chris Matthews’s heroes are, here he says it in his own words in an interview with Sanders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCryNzrcxWY

Saul Alinsky? Say it isn’t so, Chrissie…

onlineanalyst on December 22, 2009 at 8:31 PM

This bill is a major win for insurance, pharma and doctors. Dont believe otherwise. Chuck Schick on December 22, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Nobody wins. Some schmucks just want their millions and then they can retire and die, to hell with America and its people.

Mojave Mark on December 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM

bluemarlin on December 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Hennessey’s reliable, and the block quote you posted looks like what I’ve seen a few others discuss. Ultimately a way to stall, but not defeat.

If the House doesn’t make any changes to the Senate bill it’s all over. If they make minor changes there’s a slim, slim chance that one of the vulnerable Senate Dems may get enough of an earful over break to flip.

It’s not looking good, but I suppose a slim chance is still a chance.

BadgerHawk on December 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM

BigWyo, I have a bad habit of writing as if everyone can read between the lines. Zach Wamp is not a very widely known Rep. Here is the Felix Ungar reference:

Oscar Madison: You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Ungar!

“Odd Couple” via Internet Movie Database

Pelayo on December 22, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Can you explain the details on this? What would be the process for such a last stand, and the risks involved?
Dark-Star on December 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM

As I understand it this is just a delaying tactic. I believe it just causes a couple of House votes, but I haven’t seen anyone discuss it in depth so I may be wrong.
BadgerHawk on December 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM

If a conference committee is blocked, the House has the option of passing the Senate bill as is or amending it.

If they go the first route, extremely unlikely, the bill goes to Obama for signature.

If it’s amended in any way, the amended bill goes back to the Senate, where again there would be a fillibuster and 60 votes required for cloture… shutting down the fillibuster.

The likelihood of undoing the Reid 60 is so much higher if the House libs or the Stupak group can have a run on their amendments than if you have a management-appointed conference committee basically endorse the Senate bill as is, which I think would happen.

Blocking the conference committee, in my view, gives us more time… and time is on our side.

TXUS on December 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM

It’s not looking good, but I suppose a slim chance is still a chance.

BadgerHawk on December 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I will certainly maintain hope but I just don`t think they care about anything but passage. I truly believe they will cave to Stupak if they have to, assuming he actually has enough votes to hang this up. I think they will be willing to pass it and begin working to add abortion later. It is abundantly obvious they do not care who they piss off to pass this, left or right. I hope that is wrong but nothing has seemed to phase them yet.

bluemarlin on December 22, 2009 at 8:48 PM

It’s not looking good, but I suppose a slim chance is still a chance.

BadgerHawk on December 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM

There you go BH, that’s the spirit!

russcote on December 22, 2009 at 8:49 PM

“It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.” – G.K. Chesterton, The Cleveland Press, 3/1/21

JDPerren on December 22, 2009 at 8:59 PM

farright on December 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM

EXACTLY! I believe these idiots need to be hounded and followed 24 hrs a day.

royzer on December 22, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Say what you will. Use any language you want. Who you are speaks so loudly, I can’t hear what you’re saying.
“ObowmaoCare”, “public-option”, “universal healthcare”, it’s all “a government run nightmare”. A contract I make with a another “person” is NOT the government’s business. PERIOD.

I’ll stick with Sarah.

Blacksmith8 on December 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Mojave Mark on December 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM

You can bet the Democrats will all be looking for huge campaign contributions next year.

Rovin on December 22, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Good to hear. Events are converging – anti-Democrat sentiment is on the rise and the lefties are so pissed they won’t show up in the numbers they did in 2008. 2010/12 is going to be a blood bath.

gwelf on December 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Great so we end up with the lesser of 2 evils. The R’s can continue the same crap that they did under Bush.

rjl1999 on December 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM

rjl1999 on December 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Possible, but doubtful. Americans have short memories, but not quite that short. They do learn. That said, the solution to our current political problems is not politics. The American people have to change their culture at a much deeper level or the seesaw will simply continue as it has for the past 100 years, increasingly so in the past 40 – with the overall direction increasingly down, just as a slower or faster pace.

Do they have the courage or wisdom? Time will tell.

JDPerren on December 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM

They’ll get it in somehow, some day, some way.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 23, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Whether this passes now or we are saved by some sort of Christmas miracle (please G-d) I fear we are destined for socialized medicine. For the life of me, I cannot understand why the leftists don’t get this. They want everything now; the embodiment of the expression “fools dreaming of gold handed them on a silver platter.” Even if they get wiped out in ’10 and ’12, this monster will have been unleashed on us and it would then be nearly impossible to kill. And when the inevitable shift back to Dem control occurs, they will continue to hammer away at our freedoms relentlessly, with millions of new voters via amnesty for illegals, unconstitutional laws via a corrupted judiciary and SCOTUS and rule by executive fiat via the czar system.

Since the beginnings of the so-called “progressive” movement, going back to Woodrow Wilson, their dream has been to change the American system of government and have government run our lives. Despite nearly 100 years of abject failure with a body count of over 100 million victims, and the victories of Reagan and the conservatives in the 80′s and early 90′s, the left is still entrenched not just in government, but in media, culture and most importantly in our schools.

The left seeks total control by hook or by crook. They may get it, but we need a cultural revolution of our own to ensure that they are stopped. If not, it may take another form of revolution, the consequences of which I do not want to think about now.

G-d save us all.

J.J. Sefton on December 23, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Hey!

Who’s ready for higher taxes and liberal politics forced into your health care decisions forever?

Even if you aren’t, that’s what you’re getting!

Get the message out, GOP.

It isn’t that hard.