Red, red meat: Gingrich rallies the base to take back Congress

posted at 9:44 pm on December 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

A palate cleanser in the spirit of Lt. Col. Allen West’s now-famous stemwinder, offered to boost your morale as the Reaper descends and to remind you that rumors of Newt’s Scozzafavification have been greatly exaggerated. This is actually the fifth of five parts; the other four are at David Horowitz’s site, but this one works well as a standalone summa of recent Democratic madness.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Newt loves to have one foot within the GOP Washington Establishment and one outside of it. Whenever he thinks what’s best for Newt.

A man divided cannot survive. Politically.

Yeah, I’m not a fan in case you can’t tell.

SteveMG on December 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM

The date on this speech was a month ago. Stale meat is more like it.

Marcus on December 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM

We’ll do it despite you and your inside-the-beltway cohorts, Newt.

SouthernGent on December 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Erm…please not Newt. Do we have anyone who isn’t a retread?

changer1701 on December 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM

This..is..SPARTA!!!

javamartini on December 22, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Go away Newt. You chose party loyalty over principles. You are dead to me.

Blarg the Destroyer on December 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM

“You know, his favorable rating is a reasonably healthy 43/36 according to one recent poll. Hmmmmmmmm.”

McCain II? I can’t get the image of Newt and Nancy on the sofa out of my head.

ncjetsfan on December 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Gingrich is awesome and useful, screw what most here will say.

Narutoboy on December 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM

He has one foot in the beltway and one foot out of it.

Suck wind and take a hike Newt. I remember the first time around when y’all spent money like drunken sailors.

AZ_Redneck on December 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM

The date on this speech was a month ago. Stale meat is more like it.

Yes, and? West’s video was two months old when I posted it and no one complained about that.

Allahpundit on December 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM

oh, stop that hmmmmmmmmmmm. Here let me help: GLOBAL WARMING

rob verdi on December 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Gingrich is awesome and useful,

Especially to himself.

Newt above all. If he needs to be a party loyalist, he’ll be a loyalist. If he needs to play the populist outsider, he’ll do that.

It’s all about Newt.

SteveMG on December 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM

To paraphrase…

“Newt, I think you got it…, buddy!”

Seven Percent Solution on December 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Go away, Newt.

Phildorex on December 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Stale meat is more like it.

Stale, rotten, maggot infested meat.

oldleprechaun on December 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I like his energy, I like his ideas. I like his willingness to be different, to think of new approaches to governing. And we have too many people who want to burn things down and too few who want to build things up.

But he’s got to stop the games. It’s clear what he’s trying to do.

SteveMG on December 22, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Gingrich – like John McCain – is history. Bad history. He made a TERRIBLE decision in New York and has reduced himself in effectiveness to just about zilch. Like McCain, his day has come and gone. Gingrich is now, officially, a loser.

GoldenEagle4444 on December 22, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Say what you want about Newt… but that was a hell of a speech.

BPD on December 22, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Or, “Is there anybody besides Palin we can draft to lead the pack? Please?”

/allahpundit

Oh, and this is a good speech. But would he say this, or govern like this, consistently? Or would he reach across the aisle couch to partner with Pelosi, etc.?

Hmmmmm….

cs89 on December 22, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Go spoon with Nancy, Newt.

You had your chances. You messed up. Now be a good boy and take a hike, and take all your phony “conservatives” buddyroos with you.

MrScribbler on December 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM

As many problems as Newt has, we needed his vision in 1994, and we need someone (else) like him now.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on December 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Newt who? You mean that assclown that likes liberal, baby-killling white supremacists (Margaret Sanger awardee; like Hillary) from New York?

F–k that fat, wife cheating bastard.

I couldn’t give a CALCIFIED DAMN what he thinks, even a broken clock’s right twice/day (once in military time, which is what I use). He needs to go back under his rock, with the rest of the assorted white supremacists, baby killers, liberals and other various scum. If anybody needs to STFU, its him.

Virus-X on December 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Or would he reach across the aisle couch to partner with Pelosi, etc.?

If it benefitted Newt, sure he would.

In a occupation of large egos, he’s up there with all of them.

I want him on my team but not calling the plays.

SteveMG on December 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM

SteveMG on December 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Newt has done more for this country (good things) than most here will ever do, including myself. He has my respect. When he starts supporting the policies of the idiot in office, then I’ll join this “I hate Newt” parade.

Narutoboy on December 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Newt, you had your time and blew it. You were run out of town if you recall. Stay out of town despite your good ideas. You bring baggage that makes independents vote for the devil instead of you and yours.

Keep giving speeches but don’t even think of national public office. Stay in the background if you really want to accomplish something.

patrick neid on December 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Red, red meat: Gingrich rallies zzzzzzzzzzz…

FTFY

Enoxo on December 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Or, “Is there anybody besides Palin we can draft to lead the pack? Please?”

/allahpundit

Mm-hmm. I saw that instantly. Red red red meat.

Marcus on December 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Not a CHANCE, AP. Never. I’d vote for Bob Barr first.

fossten on December 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM

then I’ll join this “I hate Newt” parade.

I didn’t say I hated him. I just don’t want him running things.

He’s clearly willing to abandon principles in order to promote himself. It’s always all about him.

SteveMG on December 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM

That speech was very good but why did he fail to adhere to his own words about fighting when he stuck by Dede. If he can help fire people up that is for the better. I will not jump on his bandwagon after the Nancy and Dede episodes. As so many said in the link of the blue dog congressman flipping sides today, we can use all the help we can get right now. I have serious doubts about Newt as any kind of successfull candidate but if he can get some grassroots going, fine by me.

bluemarlin on December 22, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I’ve always liked Newt, even during his debacle with NY-23. He just got caught with his pants down and had too big an ego to acknowledge the mistake.

John the Libertarian on December 22, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Served his cancer stricken first wife with divorce papers in front of their children in the hospital for wife number two who divorced him when she found out he was carrying on an affair during “Lewinsky” with a congressional staffer, who is now wife three. Oh, What FUN! How would that stack up election season with a salivating press against shiny Zero and his cutesy-pie daughters, who will be dating age next term!

He’s insane if he want to put Conservatives through that.

Marcus on December 22, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Allahpundit on December 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Some may not like Newt, he has had his ups and downs, but I would suggest some of the earlier commenters to actually view the clip and listen to what he has to say…

You just might be surprised.

Seven Percent Solution on December 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Shouldn’t you check with Nan Pelosi and HRC before you say such things, Mr. Newt?

Go away.
And stop sending me those e-mails. I always delete without reading.

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Amazing… Well done, Newt.
What we need now is historical context, and Newt delivers just that.

PattyJ on December 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Allahpundit on December 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Ahhh… creating Buzz for the RINOs… how… not suprising…

Romeo13 on December 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Hell’s bells, I’d rather hear what Bob Livingston has to say.

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM

weak.

moonbatkiller on December 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Newt’s time has passed. He was the rally man back in the early 90′s but was knocked down by his own inability to see his own hubris and adjust accordingly.

But his miscalculation with the Scozzofava endorsement AND his refusal to back down when presented with her actual stance on the issues makes him only a side resource now.

His judgement is suspect, as are his core principles. And that’s not what we need in the new up and coming leadership in the GOP/Conservative movement.

Intrepid on December 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Newt is a strategist, we need strategies. Conservatives need vision. Angle biters are not useful

r keller on December 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Shouldn’t Newt be in Copin’Hoggin’?

DeathB4Tyranny on December 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Sorry, being on the couch – literally – with Pelosi regarding AGW, and then backing the GOP establishment in NY23, was enough for me. The trust factor with Newt is gone. We need new leaders.

paul1149 on December 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Angle biters are not useful

How about ankle biters? (heh)

Intrepid on December 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Call me crazy but I think the top three Republican presidential candidates will be (in no particular order): Mitt, Sarah, and Newt.

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Newt made a terrible political calculation on NY-23, but he is one of the best on our side at articulating conservative principles in a reasonable way. We need more like him.

Dudley Smith on December 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM

r keller on December 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Angle Biters? Musta missed that term….

Romeo13 on December 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM

I thought that the speech was well-articulated. What he says about the need to begin articles of impeachment against Holder has merit.

Look at the latest stunt Holder has pulled, as described by Andy McCarthy:

It’s disgusting enough that Eric Holder has politicized the DOJ, but he is jeopardizing our national security. The release of these Gitmo detainees is appalling.

onlineanalyst on December 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Mitt, Sarah, and Newt.

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Step away from the crack pipe.

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM

As seriously pissed off at Newt as I was over his supporting Scozzafazzafuzzywuzzy and being a lapdog for the party establishment, I still have to admit that was a damn good speech there.

thirteen28 on December 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Step away from the crack pipe.

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I said in no particular order. I would not be surprised if they are the top three. Has anyone polled Newt in Iowa?

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Newt can really deliver! :)

For both sides :(

Spirit of 1776 on December 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Ego or no, Newt knows his sh*t. You cannot ignore the import of his statement about judges. I say we waterboard Newt until he gives up all the tactical goodies, then pat him on the head and give him a medal and send him back home.

Joan of Argghh on December 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM

GREAT SPEECH

John the Libertarian on December 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Yes, self government requires the governing of the self.

I’m not sure that that “governing of the self” can be undertaken from Washington.

SteveMG on December 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM

We’ve got to look at all the options and Newt could conceivably be one of them…I wouldn’t rule him out. I’d take him over several other options. There was a time when he was pretty good. Can he be good again remains to be seen but we’ve got to find someone, and fast.

scalleywag on December 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM

You guys picked our candidate last time. No more!
(Or maybe you didn’t)

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Pretty clear to me, he’s trying to throw a saddle on the tea party horse. Too late, Newt. You had your chance. Your Glibness is wonderful but it sounds like a conservative Obama. HOLLOW!!

PaCadle on December 22, 2009 at 10:23 PM

You guys picked our candidate last time. No more!
(Or maybe you didn’t)

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Oh come on. Newt is not McCain. He’s much more to the right of McCain. I can’t see anyone making a legitimate that Newt is some sort of RINO. He’s not.

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Not interested. Not our future. Not leadership for this time.

rrpjr on December 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Newt is too immersed in the establishment. He’s smart on history, bad on many other things.

cubachi on December 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Nice speech. After his antics with the Botox Bimbo, Al-not-so-Sharpton, race-baiter extraordinaire, and Dede, he needs to walk the walk before I listen to sh*t that this maggot has to say.

Sam_I_Am on December 22, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Well, he seems to be one of the few that realizes just how bad things are at the moment. Does he have idea on how to fixe them? I don’t know.

scalleywag on December 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM

You guys picked our candidate last time. No more!
(Or maybe you didn’t)

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Most of the GOP here in Iowa changed parties to caucus for Obama. They did that because the cry was ‘No More Clintons’

However the Huckster won the IA Caucuses.

Rndguy on December 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Lanceman:

I am wondering if conservatives are capable of getting behind one candidate. It seems as if they just have to divide into camps. After all, the same nomination process that gave the GOP Reagan also gave them McCain. Not that they would admit that.

I just hope they are unified this time.

Terrye on December 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM

cubachi on December 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Newt has made people mad over the years, but I remember when he was Speaker of the House and they had the Contract with America. He was and is conservative. That does not mean he will ever be president or that people are going to forget the whole NY23 thing, but he really is conservative.

Terrye on December 22, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Oh yeah, we’re not allowed to like Newt because Rush and Levin have him in the dog house. It’s not like they’re into personal enrichment…or plugging things non stop, to their financial benefit. It’s not like we can speak off the Rush/Levin hymnal. After all, we’re not sycophants like the Kos Kidz.

Truth is…being POTUS is about leadership. NOBODY in the GOP could pull off that speech you just heard. Nobody. Flaws and all.

That’s just the truth.

AYNBLAND on December 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I just hope they are unified this time.

Terrye on December 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I’ll support whoever gets the GOP nominations (except maybe Huckabee or Ron Paul).

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Two words: Scazzofazza Palooza.

Sorry Newt.

Bruno Strozek on December 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM

That’s just the truth.

AYNBLAND on December 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM

True dat.

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Satire: Obama Says “A Giant Pork Sandwich” Will Lower Health Care Costs http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/12/obama-says-giant-pork-sandwich-will.html

Mervis Winter on December 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Terrye on December 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Knowing human nature as I do, I can tell you this: If Sarah Palin were a man, she wouldn’t see 90% of the crap thrown at her from our side.

We’ve tried the first black president, how’s that workin’ out for us?

The only scenario I can envision where I don’t want to see her run is if HRC runs against the puke in office now.
That old skank would win because too many people (on both sides) have been conditioned to believe she’s presidential material. She’s a full-fledged member of this obomination of an administration.

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:36 PM

The problem with Newt and his peers is they are concerned with obtaining and maintaining a majority in Congress. Nowhere does he so much as imply that governance is the goal.

It’s all about power. Even Newt doesn’t get the genesis of the Tea Party. And that’s bad.

Advice to Newt: Start brewing some tea, or get lost.

BobMbx on December 22, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Gingrich is awesome and useful, screw what most here will say.

Narutoboy on December 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM

I agree. I’ve seen him speak live, it’s good.

The sheeple of HA are doing their best lefty impression…ignore the message, hate the messenger.

uknowmorethanme on December 22, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:36 PM

You wouldn’t like it if people called Sarah Palin those names so please don’t throw those ugly names to people of the other side.

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Forget it.

FORGET IT.

Newt Scozzofava has zero chance.

drjohn on December 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM

We need all the footsoldiers we can get to win this war.
Perfect or not.

Good speech, son.
Draw a weapon and join the fight.

justltl on December 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM

On the other hand, Allen West?

You betcha.

drjohn on December 22, 2009 at 10:41 PM

A man divided cannot survive. Politically.

SteveMG on December 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM

The sea of Tea Party protesters was angry that day my friends.

Darth Executor on December 22, 2009 at 10:43 PM

terryannonline on December 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM

If? If? Please. Sarah Palin has been called a lot worse in one year than HRC has been called in her entire political career. What I like is irrelevant.

Now. On to the business at hand. Are you the good Terry, or the bad one? ;)

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Gingrich is awesome and useful, screw what most here will say.

Narutoboy on December 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Really helped us out when he sat on that couch with Nancy, and that project he had with Al Sharpton, brilliant. And thanks to Newt’s stand on principles we have Congressman Hoffman in NY-23.

I’m right there with you Narutoboy, right there with ya!

Blarg the Destroyer on December 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM

uknowmorethanme

Indeed
Like I tried to say these are Ankle Biters…or maybe even false flags.

I know that Rahm dearly hopes that conservatives are splintered. Schumer wants to rule for a couple of generations, so if conservative fight over NY-23 all the better.

No vision, no unity around core values, just infighting.

r keller on December 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM

No vision, no unity around core values, just infighting.

r keller on December 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Christ on a stick, its like arguing with baboons in here. You want to talk about Newt Gingrich and core values? Do you really want to have that argument? Really?

Blarg the Destroyer on December 22, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I’m right there with you Narutoboy, right there with ya!

Blarg the Destroyer on December 22, 2009 at 10:47 PM

So you’re just going to toss him aside because of some poor decisions? The guy is out there every day advocating conservative policies. A few screw ups here and there do not outweigh that. Newt is one of our best assets and is probably the most articulate Republican right now.

Narutoboy on December 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM

No vision, no unity around core values, just infighting.

r keller on December 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM

We’re not splintered.
Listen, come election day, McLame could be the candidate and we’d all line up behind him to replace the perpetrator there now.
In the mean time, let us have our arguments, our disagreements and our fun. We’re all on the same side and regardless of who runs where, we’ll be there to vote.
I suspect that even Allahpundit is right-leaning.

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Newt who?

Mr. Arrogant on December 22, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I’ll pick Newt any day over the idiot NDS sufferers on this blog. Steve and Lance, don’t flatter yourselves. You can’t touch Newt, he owns you.

mike_NC9 on December 22, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Based on the tone of the excoriation of Gingrich over his Scozzafava endorsement, I presume y’all have never, ever made an error in judgement. Listen to all the segments of Newt’s speech at Horowitz and come back and provide some useful criticism or else shut up.

Congress is about numbers, even if the Rebublicans only have a one member majority, they run the show and pick the agenda and the committee chairs. If the Republicans, RINOS included, had control of congress, do any of you think there would be a health care bill or a Cap ‘n’ Trade bill?

Pelayo on December 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I really hope you are right, I’m all for fun…but somehow Obama/Reid/Pelosi take the joy out of politics.

r keller on December 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Starlink, you and some of the others around here have forgotten that Newt was responsible for the Rebublicans regaining control of the House in ’94 for the first time since around 1948. It is no coincidence that when Newt gave up the Speaker gavel it all fell apart.

Pelayo on December 22, 2009 at 11:07 PM

r keller on December 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM

If the anger is self-perpetuating , or it can be re-created by election time, game, set and match.

Lanceman on December 22, 2009 at 11:07 PM

This clip is why you can’t quit on Newt.

He may wander off the reservation occassionally, but NOBODY combines eloquence, knowledge and principles like he does.

And he destroys the simpering msm whenever they challenge him.

He would TEAR UP the moron in debates.

The little boy king would crawl away wimpering.

notagool on December 22, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Man, that was a great speech. There’s no question that Gingrich can get my blood stirring when he wants to. On the other hand, what the hell was Scozzafava about? Newt, Newt.

I must admit that one of my primary misgivings about Newt Gingrich is that he happily produces “alternative history” novels. I guarangoddamtee that there will be people in 40 years that believe his “what woulda happened if?” scenarios to be the gospel truth about what in fact took place – and in that respect his oeuvre is the precise equivalent of Oliver Stone movies like JFK and Nixon.

There is no question that it’s hardly an exaggeration to claim that nobody under the age of 60 ever learned to read. Historians would be much better advised to write and novelize about actual events in the hope that our incredible history will never be forgotten. If novels like his ever get made into movies the result will be whole new generations that believe in untruth.

Helluva speech, though. It doesn’t matter in the least, imo, whether he ever runs for office again. For that matter, it doesn’t really matter whether the wonderful Sarah ever runs for office again. The fact that powerful speakers (and God DAMN I love hearing Allen West) can and will stand up and declare the obvious truth in public is the only antidote to the insanity inculcated by 40+ years of Public Education.

Rat own, Bubba.

warbaby on December 22, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Well, nuts.

“Progressive” Education, not “Public.” You know…

warbaby on December 22, 2009 at 11:17 PM

cs89 on December 22, 2009 at 11:04 PM

She hits it out of the park yet again.

John the Libertarian on December 22, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Granted I’m young and missed Newt 1.0, but this speech was gold. Newt haters should actually watch the whole speech. He delivers a genuine, articulate, common-sense argument. Not sure why our side is so quick to throw out someone who is clearly passionate about America’s greatness and has a grasp on policy that exceeds nearly all of our other candidates. Anyone?

wowrob on December 22, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Joan of Argghh on December 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Agreed. Newt is to the Republican Party these days as Balaam was to the children of Israel.

Even so, IMHO, all Newt would have to do to regain his position as elder and leader of the GOP is to a) admit that his actions over the past few years in political circles caused him to stray from the base (AGW, Scuzzyfava, and the focus on the political position of the party uber alles); and b) focus on conservative governance over politics.

So little to ask for, yet so much…sigh.

Wanderlust on December 22, 2009 at 11:21 PM

We’re making a big mistake when we start tossing people out even when they say and do what is right!
It is one thing to dump on a politician when they get it wrong,, it’s another thing to do it when they get it right!
No one, no one is going to be perfect all the time. There is no perfection around here anywhere!
I’ve nearly been spamming this speech because it is that good! There were a couple slight points I didn’t really agree with,, but take the time and listen to the speech! Regardless of what you think about him,, listen to the speech! It is a great analysis of what has been happening and what needs to and can happen the next 3 years! It is also very inspiring!
You know, I posted somewhere else something about my Dad. He hated FDR! But during and only during WWII and as he marched all over Germany, FDR was his president!
We are not doing the conservative movement, America or ourselves, for that matter, any good by tossing out every single leader or politician just because they aren’t perfect! That is in fact acting the purest we are constantly being accused of!
I am a purest on my ideals. I will not be a purest on people!
If Al Gore joined our side and gave a great speech about defeating Obama, I’d listen and pass it on! I might not trust him with the treasury, but I’d welcome him into the fold! I can certainly do the same for someone like Newt!

JellyToast on December 22, 2009 at 11:24 PM