Breaking: Nelson will vote for cloture

posted at 9:47 am on December 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Every man has his price, apparently, and Harry Reid found Ben Nelson’s price for a cloture vote on ObamaCare.  Nelson announced this morning that the language in the manager’s amendment on aborti0n will be enough to secure his support for Reid’s compromise bill, but Think Progress reports on what really sold Nelson — or bought Nelson, depending on your perspective.  First, the Washington Post:

Sen. Ben Nelson (Neb.), the final Democratic holdout on health care, was prepared to announce to his caucus Saturday morning that he would support the Senate reform bill, clearing the way for final passage by Christmas.

“We’re there,” said Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), as he headed into a special meeting to announce the deal.

Democratic leaders spent days trying to hammer out a deal with Nelson, and worked late Friday night with Nelson on abortion coverage language that had proved the major stumbling block. But Nelson also secured other favors for his home state.

A few favors?  Try a boatload of federal cash:

Under the current merged legislation (the version unveiled on November 18th), the federal government fully finances care for the expanded population for two years and increases its matching funds (known as FMAP) thereafter. Page 98 of the managers amendment specifically identifies Nebraska for higher federal matching funds, fully funding its expansion for an additional year:

‘‘(3) Notwithstanding subsection (b) and paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subsection, the Federal medical assistance percentage otherwise determined under subsection (b) with respect to all or any portion of a fiscal year that begins on or after January 1, 2017, for the State of Nebraska, with respect to amounts expended for newly eligible individuals described in subclause (VIII) of section 1902(a)(10)(A)(i), shall be determined as provided for under subsection (y)(1) (A) (notwithstanding the period provided for in such paragraph)

Subsection (y)(1)(A) refers to page 399 of the original merged Senate legislation which fully funds state Mediciad expansions for the first two years. The manager’s amendment also provides 2.2% increase in FMAP to help states finance their existing Medicaid programs.

That will be worth at least hundreds of millions of dollars in federal cash for Nebraska … for the first three years.  After that, Nebraskans get as screwed as the rest of the country.

And what about that abortion coverage? Nelson caved, as one can read in the published version, via Patriot Room:

Managers Amendment

Scroll down to Section 1303, which uses the same reliance on the “prohibited under HHS rules” dodge as the earlier Senate version, rather than using the language from the Stupak Amendment in the House that explicitly prohibited public money from funding abortions or abortion coverage. If Congress fails to renew the Hyde Amendment for just one year, this language will become moot. This version will lose none of the progressives, because they know they can just kill the Hyde Amendment renewal now to eliminate the problem.

Nelson caved on abortion and sold out for an extra year of federal Medicaid subsidies.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 13 14 15

SouthernGent on December 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

hope so…truly do…the folks who are not paying attention to this on a daily basis are the ones that I’m afraid are going to get snookered in by these slick weasels…

cmsinaz on December 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Ah, but he’ll vote against final passage ya see. Now, he and Lincoln and Bayh and McCaskill, etc. all have a 10-vote margin they can play with. They can say they voted against the bill. Hopefully the voters are smart enough to know that this vote was tatamount to voting for it, though.

SouthernGent on December 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I know. We also have to look at the GOP. I know they stuck together on this vote, but as you said “Remember the Maine” sister, and McConnell could have done more.

Some are suggesting a half-hearted fight was the GOP plan all along and maybe they aren’t really interested in defeating this legislation, only in regaining power in 2010 and 2012. Gee, if I were cynical, I might just believe it too. Oh, wait . . .

Firefly_76 on December 21, 2009 at 8:36 AM

cmsinaz on December 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM

I agree. People don’t even know what hit them this morning at 1:00 a.m.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Nelson claims to love “states’ rights”. Besides getting Nebraska “permanently free” care at the expense of everyone else, Nelson also managed to censor ANY cross-state insurance policy marketing. THAT would have helped to bring down the costs of health care nationally, but thanks to Nelson, this legislation prohibits interstate policy.

NELSON revised himself into the Grinch who stole Christmas but never repented. Mine, mine, all mine.

maverick muse on December 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Then it is on our shoulders to let them know and get the message out.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Does anyone know if Laura Ingraham is live today, or does her best of shows start today?
What about Rush?

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I’ve already started. I started an e-mail on the article that I had on the link I posted above to my friends.

I’ll keep you informed on the Omaha Tea-Party e-mails that I receive. Did you meet any at the Rally?

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:45 AM

No, but I will be at the next protest. It is now a priority for me.
I am also attending this.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I remembered you mentioning it yesterday. I will keep that date in mind.

Have a good day OC!!!! I will be on the phone this morning when Nelson’s offices empty their messages.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:59 AM

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:59 AM

You have a good day too. I think I will print all the comments from this thread and fax them to all of his fax machines, and drive a hard copy over to Pacific Street. May even drive a copy down to the Lincoln office.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM

The blitzkrieg against the American economy has commenced.

Really Right on December 21, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Senator Judas Iscariot Nelson’s quarterly talk show is today at 2:00 CST on KKAR 1290. You can get live streaming from the website.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 9:49 AM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I am shocked he is willing to take calls from his constituents today. Melt the phones, people!

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Nelson is hitting the airwaves to justify his vote. Should be interesting.

Gothguy on December 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Gothguy on December 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Nelson, Heineman and Johanns all do quarterly shows on KKAR at two PM. I imagine this was scheduled eons ago, and it was just coincidence that it was this soon after his betrayal. You are right, it should be very interesting. I usually call in, but better not today. I’m afraid of what I might say to him…

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I have never been so eager for Rush to wrap it up than I am today so I can hear what Judas Iscariot Nelson has to say, and what the callers have to say to him.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Wow. He actually showed up.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM

So far it has been only libs who are thanking him for voting yes. Wonder if they are screening the callers for him?

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Give Ben The Boot.

Geochelone on December 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Benedict Arnold Nelson is evil lying scum.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM

He called the 67% a loaded poll, and he is very defensive. People are reaming him now, and boy are they pissed.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I’m listening. I hate democrats. I hate politicians.

LtE126 on December 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM

LtE126 on December 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM

My contempt for Nelson is on par with my contempt for 0bama.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Yep.

LtE126 on December 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM

No doubt the first 5 callers were set-up to call.

I liked Garth’s statement – “looks like the senate seat is for sale”. Nelson didn’t like Garth’s comment.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Garth was from Louisville, right? Yeah, that was great.
Judas Iscariot Nelson is lying when he says he didn’t support this crap to keep 0bama from failing.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 3:56 PM

The polls were pretty close if the number of calls count.

7 For
1 ??
13 Against

I liked Dave’s questions about his 25 employees.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I liked Dave’s questions about his 25 employees.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 4:01 PM

So did I. I also liked the guy who said this was great, having his neighbors foot the bill for him, and the went on to ask how he could get them to pay for his car insurance.
Ol’ Judas was on the hotseat.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Scott talked about 67% against in Nebraska and Nelson didn’t like being challenged by that poll.

There were 21 calls today and 13 were against…hmm, 62% against.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM

There were 21 calls today and 13 were against…hmm, 62% against.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Judas, along with the rest of the dems owns this now. He sure didn’t like that 67 percent number being slapped at him.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I think I’ll send Senator Nelson a card with a picture of a dead baby next to 30 pieces of silver. Happy ****ing Holidays, Senator!

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Actually it’s people like nelson who give Benedict Arnold a bad name.

enginemike on December 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Please do Mary!!!!! Nelson needs to know people are outraged about this. My husband is in another state today and he said he was questioned about Nelson’s vote after the men saw my husband’s Nebraska license plates.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Please do Mary!!!!! Nelson needs to know people are outraged about this.

Okay, I’ll fire up Photoshop when I get home. I’ll send the result to Ed and AP, though whether or not they want to publish it will of course be up to them.

Whoa! That’s harsh — and impressive in that it implies that more people are starting to pay attention. Not everyone’s a sheep, in spite of what our esteemed legislators seem to think.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Thanks for the support! Best wishes to you and your husband. Somehow we’ve all got to wring a Merry Christmas/Happy Chanukah/etc. out of all this misery, right? Or else the terrorists win. :-/

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Nelson’s a ho!

MCGIRV on December 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM

We are going to do the best we can to fight a good battle here in Nebraska to oust this traitor!!!!

Thank you for your kind words!!!

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Thank you Mary, we here in NE really appreciate it. He kept saying we wouldn’t have to fund abortions here in NE, what he didn’t say is that we would have to support them for CA.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Wow. We don’t like to be thrust in to the national spotlight, esp. in such a negative manner.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Rush said today he was taking some heat for calling Nelson a prostitute, so he said fine and started calling him Ben Bribery Nelson. It was classic Rush.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I understand! My midwestern forebears (not from Nebraska, but adjacent states) took pride in being quiet and hard-working. This must be lacerating to your sensibilities. I, on the other hand, being Kaleeforneea born and raised, am well beyond the point where I’m even able to blush for my state.

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I caught that.

We don’t like to be thrust in to the national spotlight

I’m ashamed every time I hear Nelson’s name mentioned on FOX. The traitor is now trying to blame Heineman on this mess!!!

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Wow, I like your governor much better than our Goobernator!

Gov. Heineman Urges Sen. Nelson to Vote against Cloture

(Lincoln, Neb.) Gov. Dave Heineman today sent the following letter to U.S. Senator Ben Nelson regarding the health care reform:

“Thank you for your December 20th letter.

“Regarding the unfunded Medicaid mandate, Nebraskans expect a fair deal not a special deal. Governors all across America are troubled by this unfunded Medicaid mandate. If the U.S. Senate plans to address the unfunded mandates issue, all states must receive fair and equal treatment. Neither Nevada, Vermont, Massachusetts, Louisiana, Nebraska, nor any other state should receive a special Medicaid deal that is not available to other states. It is imperative that every state is treated fairly and equally or all special deals must be removed.

“However, the bottom line remains this bill is bad news for Nebraska and bad news for America. The effects on our State and the Nation will be disastrous and Nebraskans are asking you to stop this bill in its tracks. Nebraska’s businesses, as expressed by the State Chamber, are worried about middle class tax increases and the loss of jobs. Nebraska’s seniors are outraged about Medicare cuts. Nebraska’s pro-life community is furious with your compromise. Nebraska families are concerned about future increased premiums.

“Senator Nelson, Nebraskans are strongly opposed to this bill. As Governor, I urge you to reconsider your position and vote “No” on the next cloture vote currently scheduled for tomorrow morning.”

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM

This does not sound like a man who will change his mind:

Nelson isn’t taking the backlash lying down.

“So far, the focus seems to have been on some people who are angry. They’re ignoring the fact that not only were there good reasons to do what I did, but that there would have been a backlash the other way.”

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I lived in San Diego for 25 years, and moved back home to Omaha in 9/2005. Glad I left CA when I did, and please don’t blame me, I voted for Tom McClintock when we recalled Gray-Out Davis.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Yes, Gov. Heineman is a very respected and much-loved politician here. He is a real gem, and I’d love to draft him for Nelson’s seat in 2012. They don’t come much more ethical with solid integrity than Dave.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM

We like Governor Heineman too!!! Nice man when you meet him.

I wasn’t here when Ben Nelson was Governor, so I don’t know what he was like years ago.

Also, watch for Senator Mike Johanns who was also the Governor here in Nebraska.

Ben Nelson is going to get some backlash when he comes back for his 3 week break. I can’t wait until he starts making visits around the state and he’ll get to see how most of us really feel.

His office in Lincoln sure didn’t like my call this morning, but the young lady listened and took my name and address again.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 5:46 PM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM

How could I blame you??? I voted for Ah-nie, and look how well that turned out. :-P

Mary in LA on December 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I hope he [Sen. Judas Iscariot Nelson] is stormed in and his Christmas is ruined for him. Either end, DC or Omaha, I don’t care. He just told Tom Becca on KFAB 1110 he can’t fly home until Christmas Day.
Boo-friggin-Hoo. Cry me a fcukin’ river…

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM

yoda, OmahaConservative, fellow HA Nebraskans,

I was listening to the radio earlier, and Nelson was sputtering and stuttering about his vote like Obama without a teleprompter.

Pathetic.

Gothguy on December 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Gothguy on December 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Nelson is a pathetic weasel who is completely out of touch with his constituency.

Help us Give Senator Ben Nelson The Boot

Ben Nelson Says:You’re “Laughable” if You Oppose His Support for the Reid-Pelosi Health Care Bill

“This is all orchestrated,” Nelson said Sunday. “It’s so thinly disguised … it’s almost laughable.”

Senator Nelson has sold out Nebraskans to the likes of Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, and Barbara Boxer – even hugging Boxer after negotiations. The medicaid issue was settled by noon on Friday, but the American people didn’t know about it till Saturday morning!

“Schumer, who spent more than 13 hours in Reid’s office Friday, said the Medicaid issue was settled around lunchtime, Boxer estimated she spent seven hours in Reid’s offices — without ever once sitting in the same room, even though they were all of 25 steps apart.”

“Nelson later joined Boxer at her end of Reid’s office, greeting the Californian (Barbara Boxer) with a big hug.”

Senator Nelson Failed to Listen!

The American people have overwhelmingly expressed their opposition to the health care reform bill being considered in Washington. Yet he has arrogantly become THE deciding vote in favor of government-run health care.

Well, Senator Nelson, it’s time we give you OUR deciding vote. Nebraskans will have no choice but to give you the boot.

It’s time you heard our voices loud and clear: We didn’t want government–run health care, but you didn’t listen, so we’ll let our boots do the talking.

67% of Nebraskans oppose the current health care reform, yet you voted against us.

We gave you the chance to work for us, now we’ll find someone else.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Gothguy on December 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM

He sure was sputtering and didn’t like it when he got callers who were negative. I still think the first 5 callers were told to call and I think those callers were all from Lincoln….a nurse and student called in and they were both for Ben’s vote and sure gave him a big pat on the back.

Then ol’ Ben started to get the negative callers and he started to bow-up. One of the callers, (Vince) had a good question about insurance and Ben’s voice got louder and he didn’t let the guy get away until Ben made his point.

We all need to keep working to get Nelson voted out of office.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM

We all need to keep working to get Nelson voted out of office.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM

He should be arrested and tried for racketeering.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM

They all should be. I think there should be term-limits for every politician, so no one gets too comfortable in their position. And Nebraska needs to be able to recall a senator. I couldn’t believe it when I called the Secretary of State and he told me that Ben Nelson could not be recalled! We could have been working on a recall months ago like Montana and could have gotten him booted in 2010.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 7:58 PM

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Agreed. We used the recall in CA when I lived there. It was an effective tool worth having.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Abortion
deal may be hard to keep in health bill
Email this Story

Dec 21, 10:42 PM (ET)

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR

WASHINGTON (AP) – Twice now, abortion was almost a dealbreaker. This time, it was a dealmaker. But of hundreds of deals cut so health care legislation can stay alive, the hardest to keep may be the Senate’s abortion compromise – achieved after 13 hours of negotiation. The volatile issue remains the biggest threat to getting a history-making bill to President Barack Obama.

Deals are the lifeblood of legislation. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana got $100 million more for her state, Connecticut’s Joe Lieberman stripped the bill of a government insurance plan and Ben Nelson won a slew of favors for Nebraska – all in exchange for their votes.

Nelson was also pivotal in the abortion compromise. The abortion-rights foe cast the 60th vote Monday to prevent Republicans from burying the bill.

Abortion is an issue that doesn’t usually lead to common ground, since interested groups have radically opposed views. That makes the Senate compromise – which seeks to prohibit the use of tax dollars for abortions – rare, even surprising. It’s also why, as Senate Democrats move to negotiations with the House, other deals in their bill may stick more easily.

House liberals are starting to accept that they probably won’t get a government insurance plan. But abortion opponents in the House nearly stopped health care once before, and they are poised to try again to preserve their more restrictive approach. It could be a dealbreaker.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., represented abortion rights supporters in the negotiations only to face criticism from women’s rights groups, not just abortion opponents. Now, Boxer is urging lawmakers to take a second look. “You have both sides criticizing it, which means that we did what we had to do, we compromised in a fair way,” Boxer said.

Hours before the Senate’s abortion compromise came together last Friday, it looked like things would fall apart. Three Democratic officials familiar with the talks detailed how events unfolded. They spoke on condition of anonymity, because the talks were private.

Obama’s health care remake extends coverage to 94 percent of Americans, not including illegal immigrants, and tries to slow increases in medical costs. But in the Senate, Nebraska’s Nelson stood in the way. Among his chief objections was his belief that the Senate’s restrictions on government funding for abortion were too lax.

The negotiations began at 9:30 a.m. Friday in a suite of offices in the Capitol occupied by Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. Steps from the Senate floor, Reid’s spacious lair is shielded from inquisitive media. There would be suspense, shuttle diplomacy, hugs, and a call from Obama aboard Air Force One before the day was done.

Among those taking part were Reid, Nelson, Boxer, Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and White House deputy chief of staff Jim Messina. Nelson and Boxer did not negotiate face-to-face but set up camp in different offices. Schumer, the No. 3 Senate Democrat, shuttled back and forth.

By the middle of the day, Nelson’s home-state concerns had been addressed, and the focus turned to abortion. Federal law bans taxpayer funding of abortion, except in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother. For months, the debate has been how to apply those principles to a new stream of federal subsidies under the health care bill. Senators had previously voted to reject Nelson’s attempt to incorporate the more restrictive House language in the Senate bill.

Two alternatives were under discussion in Reid’s office. Abortion opponents wanted no coverage in health plans receiving federal subsidies under the bill. Mirroring the House, women would have to buy a separate policy for abortion coverage. Abortion rights supporters wanted to allow plans to offer coverage, but individuals could opt out and get a partial rebate of their premiums. The two sides were deadlocked.

“I don’t know how we’ll ever solve this,” Schumer said, according to one official who was present.

Then Nelson and one of his senior aides decided to try something different. States would be allowed to decide whether or not abortion could be covered by health plans operating in a new insurance marketplace under the bill. Plans covering abortion would have to collect a separate premium for the procedure, directly paid for by the person buying coverage. Premiums for abortion would be kept in a separate account.

Nelson believed it would solve the problem of segregating taxpayer funds from money for abortions. He told people he felt the discussion had degenerated to minutiae, so “we were arguing about a staple,” said an official involved. Nelson meant it was acceptable to abortion opponents if supplemental abortion coverage was stapled to an insurance policy, but not if it was spelled out in the body of the policy itself.

By evening, the two sides took a break to consult with their respective constituencies. Nelson left Reid’s suite, planning to return at 8:30 p.m. He called a leading anti-abortion activist in Nebraska, but was not able to get a commitment for the deal.

At 9:00 p.m. Nelson had yet to return. At 9:15, still no Nelson. Reid and Schumer started getting nervous. Finally, at 9:30, Nelson turned up. He and Boxer signed off on the deal within a half hour. Nelson came into Reid’s office to say he’d hold off on a formal endorsement until the text of deal was released in the morning.

Reid and Nelson started to say goodnight, and wound up hugging each other. Nelson hugged Schumer next and then left.

Obama, aboard Air Force One on his way back from the climate summit in Copenhagen, called with congratulations. Reid put the president on speaker phone so Boxer and Schumer could hear.

After the deal became public Saturday, Nelson was slammed by former allies opposed to abortion. He tells people he feels like he’s been bitten by the family dog.

Associated Press writers David Espo and Erica Werner contributed to this report.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I’m confused, it says on drudge that we’ll all pay a monthly abortion premium with obamacare. Did nelson ever address that?

TTheoLogan on December 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM

TTheoLogan on December 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM

No, but Jamie Allman addressed that today. We will all have to pay $1.00 a day for abortions in CA.
Nice. Out of state.