Breaking: Nelson will vote for cloture

posted at 9:47 am on December 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Every man has his price, apparently, and Harry Reid found Ben Nelson’s price for a cloture vote on ObamaCare.  Nelson announced this morning that the language in the manager’s amendment on aborti0n will be enough to secure his support for Reid’s compromise bill, but Think Progress reports on what really sold Nelson — or bought Nelson, depending on your perspective.  First, the Washington Post:

Sen. Ben Nelson (Neb.), the final Democratic holdout on health care, was prepared to announce to his caucus Saturday morning that he would support the Senate reform bill, clearing the way for final passage by Christmas.

“We’re there,” said Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), as he headed into a special meeting to announce the deal.

Democratic leaders spent days trying to hammer out a deal with Nelson, and worked late Friday night with Nelson on abortion coverage language that had proved the major stumbling block. But Nelson also secured other favors for his home state.

A few favors?  Try a boatload of federal cash:

Under the current merged legislation (the version unveiled on November 18th), the federal government fully finances care for the expanded population for two years and increases its matching funds (known as FMAP) thereafter. Page 98 of the managers amendment specifically identifies Nebraska for higher federal matching funds, fully funding its expansion for an additional year:

‘‘(3) Notwithstanding subsection (b) and paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subsection, the Federal medical assistance percentage otherwise determined under subsection (b) with respect to all or any portion of a fiscal year that begins on or after January 1, 2017, for the State of Nebraska, with respect to amounts expended for newly eligible individuals described in subclause (VIII) of section 1902(a)(10)(A)(i), shall be determined as provided for under subsection (y)(1) (A) (notwithstanding the period provided for in such paragraph)

Subsection (y)(1)(A) refers to page 399 of the original merged Senate legislation which fully funds state Mediciad expansions for the first two years. The manager’s amendment also provides 2.2% increase in FMAP to help states finance their existing Medicaid programs.

That will be worth at least hundreds of millions of dollars in federal cash for Nebraska … for the first three years.  After that, Nebraskans get as screwed as the rest of the country.

And what about that abortion coverage? Nelson caved, as one can read in the published version, via Patriot Room:

Managers Amendment

Scroll down to Section 1303, which uses the same reliance on the “prohibited under HHS rules” dodge as the earlier Senate version, rather than using the language from the Stupak Amendment in the House that explicitly prohibited public money from funding abortions or abortion coverage. If Congress fails to renew the Hyde Amendment for just one year, this language will become moot. This version will lose none of the progressives, because they know they can just kill the Hyde Amendment renewal now to eliminate the problem.

Nelson caved on abortion and sold out for an extra year of federal Medicaid subsidies.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14 15

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Thank you for doing what you are doing. You sound as angry as I was when Franken *cough* won *cough* the election.

If that had been handled differently – we wouldn’t be in this mess.

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM

There are certainly cornhucksters who are happy that their hooker brought home “a boatload of cash”, sadly for the tarty things the bribe will probabl be stripped out of the bill and he would have peddled his azz for nought

clnurnberg on December 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I didn’t vote for him. I voted for Pete Ricketts when he was reelected, and before that I voted against Feinstein or Boxer since I was living in California.

I worked my ass off to try and get Ricketts elected.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Been there done that. When I was living in California, my Santa Monica based Congresswoman’s big causes were “living wages” and tattoo removal for gang members. If you have been able to glean anything from my posts, I hope you will understand that these are not the issues I am concerned about.

Fact of the matter is that your state elected a high-cost whore. He got you guys a deal that the rest of us will have to pay for. I’m glad you are angry but please understand that the rest of us are angrier.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Ain’t this fortunate. A Senator has a guilty conscience over a bill, then another Senator sends him some Christmas goodies to smooth over his guilt and sends the bill to other people.

There ought to be extra small cells in hell for such people. This is not leadership, this is not statesmanship, this is not acting in the best interests of people. This is corruption, straight up and I am utterly sick of it.

ted c on December 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM

If that had been handled differently – we wouldn’t be in this mess.

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM

God Bless you, my dear. I understand the anger and resentment from the others, but we are even more outraged and indignant here. I don’t appreciate/want the spoils the great whore Judas Iscariot Nelson is bringing us anymore than anyone else, but for the most part, Nebraskans are a decent lot of hardworking folks who loathe handouts or porkulus. Your support is greatly appreciated

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Thanks gophergirl for your kind words. I don’t blame people for being pi$$ed…we are too.

Didn’t know you were from Minnesota. Enjoy reading your posts.( :

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I’m glad you are angry but please understand that the rest of us are angrier.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM

I know how angry you are, but I cannot fathom anyone being angrier than we in NE who were betrayed by our Benedict Arnold Nelson. I have been melting the phones and emails to Judas Iscariot Nelson’s offices.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Hey this is out of line. I am from Minnesota and I didn’t put Franken or Klobuchar in office – I did everything I could to keep them out. I don’t expect people to celebrate my Senators but keep the attacks on them – not on me and the people who DIDN’T vote for them.

I understand people are angry – I’m furious but the last thing we should be doing is turning on each other.

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:13 PM

I’m sorry but I saw Senator Klobuchar on Fox News Sunday today. Not a woman afraid of people like you. I’m very angry that this whole vote is getting through on a purely partisan vote without any regard for the public. Your Senator even went so far as to suggest that we’d get over it after some time had passed and we forgot all the “lies”
being told about the Dems intent.

I’m also very frustrated. With the exception of the time I was living in Alabama (where I would probably be deemed a liberal), more often than not my voice is not relevant. The political class does not pay any attention to ordinary voters who do not come bearing huge checks for the re-election funds. My current Senators, Webb and Warner, didn’t even have the forethought to hold out for bribes the way Nelson and Landrieu did. Virginia closed most of her rest stops this year because of budget cuts and, yet, Virginians will be footing the bill for Ben Nelson’s constituents because he was the bigger whore. Don’t expect me to be happy about that.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM

It’s not your fault, it’s not anybody who voted against this idiot’s fault.

The guy is a liar, sellout and has no morals. In a perfect world all of us would have DeMint, Coburn, etc as our representatives but it’s not a perfect world and we have to live with what we have and fight the fights we can.

I love the 30 pieces of silver idea – great!

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:39 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I never took Nelson at his word that he was concerned about federal funding of abortion. He isn’t a traitor so much as he is astute enough to become a high-class whore.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 8:41 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Can he be impeached? How many of the Democrats might be impeached? Or be forced to have a special election?
I worked in California. I know it got them Arnold, but hey, it worked!

JellyToast on December 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM

being told about the Dems intent.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I know you are angry but you are bordering on out of control. “People like me” she will be afraid of when we vote her out of office and we will. Minnesotans are as pissed as Nebraskans.

Stop attacking us because we don’t have the “perfect” represenative and for goodness sakes stop telling us that we aren’t doing ENOUGH. You’ve failed to say what you are doing with your two democratic senators who are voting just the same as mine are.

We are all angry but you are personally attacking people – stop it.

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:43 PM

ted c on December 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM

It’s a Wonderful Life in reverse. Old man Potter got the Baily Savings and Loan and rules Bedford Falls with an iron fist.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Didn’t know you were from Minnesota. Enjoy reading your posts.( :

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Yep born and lived here my whole life. Except for the crappy winters and the political climate – not a bad place to live.

Thanks for the nice compliment – I enjoy reading your posts too.

Keep fighting the good fight!

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I worked in California. I know it got them Arnold, but hey, it worked!

JellyToast on December 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for Tom McClintock.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I have to get out of this post before I get myself banned.

Omaha, Yoda – you guys have a great night.

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Total political whore. And Quisling. A deceiver.

That is who Ben Faust Nelson is. He who preens himself as Mephisto awaits.

Several political enablers of the past century come to mind. Hindenburg. Henri Petain. Pierre Laval. Vidkun Quisling. Ben Nelson.

Hindenburg and Petain might be slightly excused for senility. Pierre Laval, Vidkun Quisling and Ben Nelson cannot.

viking01 on December 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM

We are all angry but you are personally attacking people – stop it.

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I have NEVER made personal attacks. The most you can charge me with is generalization about citizens of your states but even that would never hold up. If you had really read my posts, you would see that even your best efforts is meaningless. Your Senators do not care about your views any more than mine do.

I go through the motions of contacting them with my opposition but they go ahead and vote the party line anyway. It makes no difference and never will. But, where I think I’ve got an advantage over you is that Virginia is not Minn and the lizard people (not to mention the Wellstone legacy). While the liberals in Northern Virginia, Richmond, and the tidewater generally determine election outcomes, there are plenty of conservatives “clingers” who are as good as independents when it comes to statewide races. Webb and Warner have signed on to Obamacare at their peril and I think that one if not both will be taken down as a result when they come up for re-election. I’m not sure you can say the same about Franken who is years away from ever having to account for his vote.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Pierre Laval, Vidkun Quisling and Ben Nelson cannot.

viking01 on December 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Laval & Quisling were executed by firing squads. Judas Iscariot Nelson will enjoy a cushy ambassadorship or something in his dotage.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM

gophergirl on December 20, 2009 at 8:44 PM

My husband picked up a tractor the other day in Minnesota…you folks are a hardy bunch up there.

I called our Secretary of State last month and we can’t even recall the traitor, so we’re stuck with Nelson until 2012.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM

But you can make his life such a living hell each and every day until then that he decides not to run for office. It is the least you can do since the rest of us are going to be paying your way when it comes to healthcare.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Only if a Democrat is in the White House. My guess is that the GOP will win by a resounding debate in 2012 because of the treason of this administration and traitors like Ben Nelson.

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I plan to make his public life such a living hell each and every day as long as he remains in office. Every letter I have submitted to the editorial page of the Omaha World Herald has been published. I will step up my efforts and encourage our like-minded bretheren to do the same, for a start.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I am a woman of my word and I will do exactly that. I think you have been talking to two people tonight from Nebraska who will make Ben Nelson’s life hell for you and everyone else here.

I protested in front of Ben Nelson’s Lincoln, NE office last March and I continue to write, fax, e-mail and send money to get him out of office.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 9:09 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I’m aware of Laval & Quisling’s fates. Both thought they had it made. For several years. Then history caught up with them.

In not so many years from now Ben Faust Nelson may feel he’s a perfumed prince out of place in 1790s France. Nelson is enabling the spending of money we don’t have and the Chinese Communists are becoming increasingly reluctant to lend.

viking01 on December 20, 2009 at 9:10 PM

highhopes on December 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Only if we, the people rise up and get off our lazy and apathetic asses collectively to defeat B. Hussein 0 in 2012. I worked my ass off on the phones and walking precincts for McCain/Palin 2008

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM

The Omaha Rally is on another thread.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM

yoda and I are both Missouri Synod Lutherans. We tend to follow through on our commitments and promises, or the guilt would eat us away.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Amen!
I wonder if Nelson can take communion now since he has shown his true feelings on abortion? Isn’t he Catholic?

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Nope. United Methodist Church. The anti-war church that ran anti-war ads against Bush during the Iraq & Afghan war.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM

They will commune him. Liberal/Bad as ELCA and The Episcopal Church.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:41 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Darn…thought I had something there. Ahhhhhhh, why aren’t there any anti-war ads being run by the anti-war church since we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan?

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 9:48 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I remember those people. Too bad they couldn’t have their tax-exempt status undergo some scrutiny…although I suppose the looney liberals would just love to do the same en masse.

Dark-Star on December 20, 2009 at 9:50 PM

The whole insult to injury in those damned ads is that GWB is a member in good standing of a UMC parish, along with Laura.
The 0bamas have not joined a church since tossing Rev. “GodDamn America” Wright and his church under the bus.
Oh, the irony.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Liberal/Bad as ELCA and The Episcopal Church
OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 9:41 PM

(((:::
My husband’s brother is an ELCA Pastor and a very Liberal Democrat…..very difficult to keep my mouth shut during family gatherings.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Well, we now know which way Webb is going to jump.

The only thing is the article did not say how much a Webb costs.

Anyone know?.

I would like to call Boxer, excuse me…Senator Boxer, and see if she will up the ante

enginemike on December 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM

(((:::

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I have relatives who are ELCA pastors as well. They are a liberal and godless strain of the far-left Libtard wackodemonrat party IMHO. Their only gospel is social justice and free trade coffee from what I can see. Our Lord Jesus Christ is lost in the shuffle in the “official” ELCA. Lord, Have Mercy!
We sang O Come, O Come Emmanuel as the chief/sermon hymn today. My favorite Advent hymn. :)

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM

free trade coffee
OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Yeah, never could understand the Starbuck’s connection after church service.

Are you using the red book?

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 10:13 PM

If there was true justice in this nation in the year 2009, we would see Reid and a number of his fellow travelers served with arrest warrants as they try to enter the senate chambers tomorrow morning.

Considering not only the scope of the Osama Obama Care bill (what we know of it, anyway), the secrecy with which it has been drawn up, the blatant lies spoken on its behalf and the outright bribery used to win its passage, those responsible should be facing imprisonment. It seems impossible that laws have not been broken, not the least of which are the laws prohibiting treason: does not destroying the nation’s economy give “aid and comfort” to our enemies?

At a minimum, there are 60 senators, 200+ representatives and a president who have violated their oaths of office, in that they are doing the exact opposite of “preserving and defending” the Constitution.

That’s perjury.

MrScribbler on December 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Democrat John Murtha was cleared of all ethics violations. We will not see justice until these crooked Dems are voted out of office.

TN Mom on December 20, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Are you using the red book?

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Yes, the new red book Lutheran Service Book. But I really miss the old red book, The Lutheran Hymnal. Never did like the blue book, Lutheran Worship circa 1982.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I sent Ben Nelson the below with a picture of my daughters attached. I am not surprised on his vote. I have had dealings with him in the past. I knew how he would land on this. He is not a man of character. He is a politician.

Government should do not harm. Your vote to support health care has done just that, caused harm. Below is a picture of my children They are happy and healthy.

I think of all the thousands of children that will not be given the opportunity to laugh, love, struggle and live. I think of all the missed opportunity, all the potential forever silenced. Children like them, taken away, aborted with my money and yours. I truly can’t imagine how you sleep at night. Look at their picture. Look long and hard. You made it possible for children like them to be aborted.

We need reform that gives real relief to American’s. We need open competition. We need government to get out of the way. We don’t need this.

Good job.

May God have mercy on your soul.

Inzax on December 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Inzax on December 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Ballsy. I do hope that your message makes it past the staff that censors anything that doesn’t contain butt-kissing praise, that’s the kind of thing our politicians need to hear.

Dark-Star on December 20, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I am sure his office is going to get a few visits tomorrow. You might tell them that he sold his soul and Nebraska to the devil.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 8:00 PM

And be sure to tell him that the rest of America doesn’t want to pay the f*cking tab!

ladyingray on December 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM

We used the green book until a few years ago.

Inzax on December 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Your letter sent chills through me. I have a feeling Ben Nelson will receive more letters like yours. Keep sending letters, e-mails and phone calls. Tomorrow will be the day to make a phone call or e-mail.

Ben Nelson sold us all out!!!!

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM

ladyingray on December 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM

ladyingray, I promise to tell his staff exactly what you want conveyed. Personally, tomorrow at eight o one. Your message will be verbally delivered in addistion to my own.
I promise you I will deliver it.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 10:42 PM

ladyingray on December 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I will.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 10:43 PM

We used the green book until a few years ago.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Aha. ELCA’s Lutheran Book of Worship. As bad (actually worse) than Missouri’s blue Lutheran Worship. Glad we retired those hymnals.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 10:45 PM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 8:00 PM

He did that when he registered as a Democrat and decided to run for the Senate. He caucuses with the most vile, anti-American, traitorous group in Senate history. He is what he is and has been for a long time.

mankai on December 20, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Judas Iscariot-Benedict Arnold Nelson’s staff sure ain’t gonna’ like hearing from our fellow Hot Air’ians manana. I am copying and pasting some of the more scathing and vitriolic comments from this thread to print in triplicate to present to the great whore, Nelson. High time these libtards hear from Jane & Joe Average.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 10:52 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 10:45 PM

You are right. The green book was from the ELCA church…we attended one in San Antonio.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 10:54 PM

My Senator, Kay Hagan (SWP-NC), hasn’t even been in play in any of this… and she ran as a “centrist” Democrat. I guess she’s too bust helping her husband keep black members out of the Greensboro Country Club to remember she represents North Carolina.

I wrote to my Communist representative (Brad Miller – CPUSA, NC13) and he sent me a long email full of lies, written as though I’m some gullible idiot… but he could have easily checked my registration to see I’m not a Democrat.

mankai on December 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM

anti-American, traitorous group in Senate history
mankai on December 20, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I agree with you and I am going to do what I can to get this traitor voted out in 2012. We can’t recall him, so we are stuck with the jerk until his term is over.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM

And to think we seceeded from England over taxation without representation. If this isn’t an example of non- representation. I don’t know what is.

Run them off in 2010, make them pay for their arrogance and lack of support for their voters.

dthorny on December 20, 2009 at 11:03 PM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM

In CA we recalled Gray Davis, and then got stuck with Schwarzenegger. We went from worse to bad.
Don’t blame me, I voted for Tom McClintock.

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 11:09 PM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM

The gloves are off now. He will vote for anything 0bama wants until 2012.
Lord, Have Mercy!

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Told everybody that this was a done deal when Lieberman voted for cloture a couple weeks ago, so it baffles me why anyone would be the least bit surprised by what’s about to go down.

JFS61 on December 20, 2009 at 11:15 PM

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I don’t remember McClintock, but I remember Arianna, Gary Coleman and the porn star. Had hopes for Schwarzenegger, but he is not much better than Davis was for California.

He will vote for anything 0bama wants until 2012.
Lord, Have Mercy!
OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 11:14 PM

What does Nelson have to lose now….he’s already sold his soul to the devil and he knows he won’t get voted in again. I could see this coming when he said he wasn’t going to vote for the increase in the porkulus back in February and then he did.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 11:37 PM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I think he’ll “retire” in 2012 because the writing will be on the wall, as in polls will show him 10 points behind. :)

NathanG on December 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Judas Iscariot Benedict Arnold Nelson has sold his soul/birthright to the devil for a bowl of cheap lentil pottage. EXACTLY like Jacob and Esau.
LORD, Have Mercy!

OmahaConservative on December 20, 2009 at 11:50 PM

“retire” in 2012
NathanG on December 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM

The only ones who can save him would be ACORN. He’s done here in this state. Hope he enjoys being shunned by Nebraskans.

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Even if we beat every dimmocrat, we’d only have 56.

darwin-t on December 20, 2009 at 12:55 PM
It’s still better than 40.

ladyingray on December 20, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Here’s hoping for more democrat early retirements! Tennessee Democrats John Tanner & Bart Gordon (US Congress) chose an early retirement instead of facing an embarrasing and expensive defeat.

TN Mom on December 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM

In 2010 54 percent of the Senators up for reelection are republicans. But wow in 2012 72 percent are Democrats. 24 Dems : 9 Gop

Dasher on December 21, 2009 at 12:00 AM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Usually I try to be a gentleman, but if I run into Judas/Benedict, I may punch him out.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 12:00 AM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I am sure he will have staff around him when this all breaks tomorrow in D.C. and he’ll hide out during the Christmas break, so there’s not much of chance to get too close to the jerk.

Tried to watch news at 10:00 to see the rally….no news on Sunday night?

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 12:22 AM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Exactly. And what pisses me off even more is the quotes in the AP article about the “Republican talking points” crap that he shelled out when questioned. Really? Isn’t he supposed to be better than that. It’s a wonder he was elected in such a Republican state. I guess he was fairly popular when he was governor. He’s gone, he’s done, and I am SO glad he is. That means another Republican will take the seat. It would be great irony if it was Heineman.
At least Joe Lieberman wasn’t bribed, that we know of.

NathanG on December 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I guess he was fairly popular when he was governor.

I didn’t live here in Nebraska when Nelson was Governor, but I heard that he was well liked.

It would be great irony if it was Heineman.

Heineman will be the next Senator if he wants it. He’s a good man.

We have to deal with Nelson until 2012, but he’s done after this term.

I had hopes for Joe Lieberman, because I knew that Nelson would cave-in and vote Yes. I didn’t think it would be this bad though.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Did anyone else just throw up? Sorry for the graphic comment but I feel betrayed and sick. Disgusting.

Thanks US Senate. You have turned this Christmas-ite who lives for Christmas every year into a blubbering idiot. I have my dream of a White Christmas outside but I feel sick.

margategop517 on December 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM

God, its a sad day. My heart aches for the demise of our country by the hands of fools.

Mo2Do on December 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM

60 scumbags. 60 Fausts. 60 Traitors. 60 swine. 60 marxists. 60 clowns.

May the flesh rot from your bones while you still breathe to feel, all 60 of you. What else is there to say? You sold a great country into nothingness. And for what? Only to enable the feeble minded and lazy from among the people.

It aint over.

Western_Civ on December 21, 2009 at 1:25 AM

60 scumbags. 60 Fausts. 60 Traitors. 60 swine. 60 marxists. 60 clowns.

It’s a crying shame that a bill of this magnitude can’t be voted on by the people instead of being rammed through in the dead of night by a bunch of crooks.

tbear44 on December 21, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Western_Civ on December 21, 2009 at 1:25 AM

I long for the day when we see Reid, Nelson, Baucus, and the other 57 traitors in the senate led away in chains to do the time for their crimes.

MrScribbler on December 21, 2009 at 1:31 AM

He’ll vote against final passage, though, so he can say he voted against it. Just like Webb, Lincoln, Bayh, and McCaskill will do.

SouthernGent on December 21, 2009 at 1:32 AM

JFS61 on December 20, 2009 at 11:15 PM

This was a done deal when Olympia Snowe allowed this to go forward out of commmittee. I put the blame squarely on her.

SouthernGent on December 21, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Let the shite hit the fan!!! Disgusting bunch of crooks!!!

galvestonian on December 21, 2009 at 1:37 AM

The only way the Democrats will win in 2010 and 2012 is voter fraud.

What will it take for you Americans to fix your voting system so they don’t win again?

Crux Australis on December 21, 2009 at 3:43 AM

I do believe the people in power in Washington DC are out of their cotton pickin’ minds.

They live in some fantasy world where right and truth do not matter. It is sinister the way they bribe, extort, crush, and destroy to get what they want and those with even a hint of courage crumble under the pressure like the paper dolls. What are they afraid of? The American way? It doesn’t make sense to me.

I have lost respect for all of them. Every single one and they all must go. I’m itchin’ to get to the polls and vote the wimps and scallywags out of office as fast as possible.

Miss Molly on December 21, 2009 at 3:44 AM

It aint over.

Western_Civ on December 21, 2009 at 1:25 AM

Hear hear!

Miss Molly on December 21, 2009 at 3:46 AM

What happened to all the Polly Anna BS about Webb defecting?

csdeven on December 21, 2009 at 6:58 AM

someone wrote on an ABC blog Cash for Clotures…how true that is…

cmsinaz on December 21, 2009 at 7:00 AM

someone wrote on an ABC blog Cash for Clotures…how true that is…

cmsinaz on December 21, 2009 at 7:00 AM

my bad…I see the verbiage as a link to MM’s blog on the home screen….apologies

cmsinaz on December 21, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Kearney
Tel: (308) 293-5818

South Sioux City
Tel: (402) 209-3595

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:44 AM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Nelson’s D.C. fax number has been busy since 5:00 a.m. I got through his Lincoln fax.

BURN THE LINCOLN AND OMAHA FAX LINES UP!!!

402-476-8753
AND
402-391-4725

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 7:50 AM

yoda on December 20, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Dang. I’m praying for you.

I grew up Catholic, and switched to LCMS when I got married. I call it ‘Catholic Lite’.

My sister, however, is still Catholic, but remains very liberal. She is a teacher and, unfortunately, shapes more of her views from the information she gets from the Teachers Union than she does the Church.

I have emailed and called Nelson several times, reminding him he works for the people of Nebraska, not for Barack Obama or the Democrat Party. Apparently he disagrees.

I’ll campaign for Ricketts or Heineman or whoever decides to run against Nelson.

cntrlfrk on December 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Frak. Knew Webb would cave. I’m so pissed. I am going to personally contribute the max against his opponent and go door to door in ’12. Damn these people.

Firefly_76 on December 21, 2009 at 7:54 AM

There are more ads on TV here in Omaha urging Judas Iscariot Nelson to vote no on healthcare than there were for or against him during the election.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Happy Monday to all!

*sigh*

cmsinaz on December 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Btw, thanks for all your hard work; you and your fellow Nebraskans have been busy and we appreciate your efforts.

Firefly_76 on December 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM

cntrlfrk on December 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Help us Give Senator Ben Nelson The Boot

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Firefly_76 on December 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Thank you, but we aren’t finished yet. I am re-arranging my schedule this week to accommodate more leg work so I can remind Nelson who he works for.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:01 AM

cntrlfrk on December 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Mine and my husbands money will be on Governor Heineman. Pete is good, but Governor Heineman is who I will be campaigning for.

Yeah, it’s amazing the difference between liberal and conservative Lutheran’s…..my husband and I have to remind each other to keep our mouths shut about politics when we are around his family.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Help us Give Senator Ben Nelson The Boot

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Awesome.

Will do. And often.

cntrlfrk on December 21, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Firefly_76 on December 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM

We are going to do our best to make Nelson’s life he!! here in Nebraska.

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Ben Nelson’s “Cornhusker Kickback,” as the GOP is calling it, got all the attention Saturday, but other senators lined up for deals as Majority Leader Harry Reid corralled the last few votes for a health reform package.

Nelson’s might be the most blatant – a deal carved out for a single state, a permanent exemption from the state share of Medicaid expansion for Nebraska, meaning federal taxpayers have to kick in an additional $45 million in the first decade.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:07 AM

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:03 AM

ELCA has greenlighted non-celibate gay and lesbian clergy, while LCMS still rightfully calls homosexuality sinful behavior.

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:09 AM

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Did you read this?

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

yoda on December 21, 2009 at 8:14 AM

WOW………………just, wow……….

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:17 AM

WOW………………just, wow……….

OmahaConservative on December 21, 2009 at 8:17 AM

ditto

cmsinaz on December 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM

The public mandate that elected Obama into the presidency was to CUT TAXES!

Nelson’s Nebraska IS what Mr Gordon Brown calls “narrow self-interest” and “beggar my neighbour” ruthlessness.

What’s good for Nebraska is bad for everyone else.

Cornhusker mutates into Cornhuckster blood sucker of the remaining 49 dupes.

Nebraska will be the ONLY state in the union free forever of the taxation mandated to support this universal health care. ALL 49 other states are going to let Nebraska off the hook of taxed contributions into the system?! Industries will not locate to any other state than Nebraska considering the tax benefits of no required contribution to the blood sucking health system. How many unemployed/employed will immigrate to Nebraska for the free lunch? Imagine the local taxes raised everywhere to adjust for the influx of such a population’s migration. For Nebraska, roads, GREEN utilities and schools. And the drain on all 49 other states’ income tax revenues, and lost property value when property is sold at deflated price below market that is already deflated when Obama’s raised taxes drive the modest homeowners bankrupt unless they migrate to Nebraska. AS IF NEBRASKA CAN EMPLOY SUCH A MIGRATION. Space does not equate to opportunity.

The dangerous idea that the democratic accountability of national governments should simply be dispensed with in favour of “global agreements” reached after closed negotiations between world leaders never, so far as I recall, entered into the arena of public discussion.

Nor was much consideration given to the logical conclusion of all this grandiose talk of global consensus as unquestionably desirable: if there was no popular choice about approving supranational “legally binding agreements”, what would happen to dissenters who did not accept their premises [on eugenic health care, for example] when there was no possibility of fleeing to another country in protest? Was this to be regarded as the emergence of world government? And would it have powers of policing and enforcement that would supersede the authority of elected national governments? In effect, this was the infamous “democratic deficit” of the European Union elevated on to a planetary scale. And if the EU model is anything to go by, then the agencies of global authority will involve vast tracts of power being handed to unelected officials. Forget the relatively petty irritations of Euro‑bureaucracy: welcome to the era of Earth-bureaucracy, when there will be literally nowhere to run.

maverick muse on December 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Frak. Knew Webb would cave. I’m so pissed. I am going to personally contribute the max against his opponent and go door to door in ‘12. Damn these people.

Firefly_76 on December 21, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Ah, but he’ll vote against final passage ya see. Now, he and Lincoln and Bayh and McCaskill, etc. all have a 10-vote margin they can play with. They can say they voted against the bill. Hopefully the voters are smart enough to know that this vote was tatamount to voting for it, though.

SouthernGent on December 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Embarrassed to be a Nebraskan, but proud to say I never voted for slick lying bastard.

rollthedice on December 21, 2009 at 8:26 AM