Rock the Vote tries out new strategy for ObamaCare

posted at 2:50 pm on December 18, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I don’t share Sammy’s outrage over this NSFW strategy to proseltyze the youth of our nation into ObamaCare, but I do find it amusingly ignorant on at least two points. Besides, it’s not even all that original. Ad-hoc efforts like this pop up once in a while on YouTube, although perhaps not on such an established site like Rock the Vote (which is also supposedly non-partisan). It could be hard time for cougars, poachers, and others looking to hook up or try out some of the more exotic menu items from GLSEN’s curriculum if RtV succeeds:

Why ignorant? First, the young people to whom they’re preaching largely avoid buying health insurance, and for good reason. They don’t need to spend $3600 per year (Minnesota’s average in 2007) to cover a couple of doctor visits every year. They’re better off buying catastrophic health insurance, rather than the mandated comprehensive coverage under ObamaCare, and use HSAs to pay for their health care with tax-free cash. That’s what Keith Olbermann does, after all, and he’s a lot older than the RtV target audience.

Who benefits from this push? The young adults don’t; they’re going to pay a lot more than they receive. Insurance companies will benefit by forcing them into the system, reducing the risk and spreading the costs over a wider base. I don’t consider insurance companies evil, but many of the ObamaCare advocates do — and yet they’re pushing their followers to subsidize slight declines in health insurance premiums for the older generations in America. It’s just like Social Security, only with a worse payoff in the end.

Finally, the irony of this campaign is that young adults would probably remain healthier if they abstained in the first place. Maybe sleeping with cougars and hot Colombian women sounds good, but promiscuity in practice means greater transmission of disease, especially during flu season. Don’t tell Joe Biden, but it’s even more risky than public transportation!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The main chick talking is rediculously hot.

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Who . . . “Ol’ Fisheyes”? NOT. Her jaw’s bigger than yours, dude.

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Okay, what is a cougar?

fourdeucer on December 18, 2009 at 2:55 PM

No. That is what The Boys down the pub call a Walking Petri Dish. LOL

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Notice too you only get to see them from the waist up. I have three possible reasons:

1) To hide the puppeteers’ arms

2) To hide the leg irons

3) To hide the various bulbous cauliflower growth visible even through their clothing.

StubbleSpark on December 18, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Panty crickets are SEXY!

Monica on December 18, 2009 at 3:09 PM

OMG and I really thought I had heard it all.

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM

You do realize this is what they call Palin. Could be a slam at the ‘Cuda.

promachus on December 18, 2009 at 3:16 PM

aaaaaaand the obligitory “It’s All About Palin” branch chimes in. Who would consider sleeping with Palin? She’d quit halfway through. HAW HAW HAW.

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Is there a word stronger than pathetic?

Dorvillian on December 18, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Fail-tastic.

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Bleeds Blue at a bar: So what’s your name

Cougar: Beat it dork.

Bleeds Blue: Did I mention I am a lib troll for ObamaCare?

Cougar: Yummmmy

angryed on December 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM

LOL best thread in ages

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I’m still trying to figure out how that series has lasted this long on NBC of all networks. It’s an unabashedly conservative show. At least it was during its first 2 seasons. I never watched Season 3.

Doughboy on December 18, 2009 at 3:10 PM

And the most politically conservative show on network TV is Chuck — also on NBC. Not only are several lead actors known real-life conservatives (yep, more than Baldwin), but clearly some of the writers and producers are too.

You won’t see any of the standard anti-american, moral relativist BS Hollywood usually spits out. And for a lighthearted show, it takes national security seriously, with very positive portrayals of the CIA and military.

John Casey (Adam Baldwin) is Mr. Patriot and one of the most endearing characters on the show. He’s an unabashed Reagan-admiring, military-supporting, second amendment-loving, America-defending Badass Super Spy. Not to mention hilarious.

Anyone not watching it is missing out on one of the best (and most conservative) shows on TV.

As for Friday Night Lights — I thought Season One was brilliant, but I haven’t had a chance to watch any of the other seasons yet. After this, and seeing three other main actors in other leftist propaganda videos — I’m thinking I might never. It will be hard to see Matt Saracen the same again.

jjraines on December 18, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Notice that clip of the older woman/younger guy comes right after the “death panels is a lie” scene.

yogi41 on December 18, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Now THAT was clearly about Palin.

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Oh, and I’m not sure why anyone is outraged by the injection of trashy sexual elements. It’s their way of being “edgy” and “funny,” with a deadly serious subtext.

jjraines on December 18, 2009 at 5:40 PM

This campaign presents a cunundrum.

If you agree to help destroy medical care in the US just to get laid, mightn’t there be a long line at the government clinic waiting for the treatment for the STD?

I could go blind waiting for the delay!

applebutter on December 18, 2009 at 5:43 PM

And you people wondered why I don’t like dating liberal broads. Whenever some stupid young girl bad-mouthes Sarah Palin, I have an uncontrollable urge to ram my fist down her throat.

Lanceman on December 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I know I’m conservative and thus biased, but I can still look objectively at video production values in ads such as this and I gotta be honest…this one blows, no pun intended.

Goldy1 on December 18, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Lanceman on December 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Well, either you’ve rammed your fist down the throat of any number of young girls, or (a la Princess Bride) “uncontrollable” does not really mean what you think it does.

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I think you get my point.
Or do I need to start calling you pooptech? ;)

Lanceman on December 18, 2009 at 6:04 PM

What would be persuaded by this? Tree moss? A curb stone?

nico on December 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM

If you don’t mind, I’d rather not.
Chip on December 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Ahh… you know you want the 2010 calendar edition.
Badger40 on December 18, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Maybe if I was on diet and wanted to suppress my appetite..

Chip on December 18, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Finally! The Appetite Suppression Socialist 2010 Calendar!

Somebody put it together and it’ll make millions. Better than the latest fad diet and weight loss pills combined.

Ah, that Capitalist entrepreneur spirit.

*sheds tear of pride*

shades_of_gasden on December 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM

In addition to this ad being devoid of class and wit, I’ve heard it said that if you can’t express yourself without vulgar or obscene language, then your vocabulary–therefore your intelligence–is lacking. So much for Rock the Vote.

ncborn on December 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM

The Appetite Suppression Socialist 2010 Calendar …

Nancy Pelosi for January. That, or the Centerfold.

shades_of_gasden on December 18, 2009 at 6:25 PM

WWSD? What Would Snookie Do?

milwife88 on December 18, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I believe Obama had a Snookie in mind when he mused “What would Pookie do?”. Or, was he dreaming about Snookie’s pookie?

Yoop on December 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Well they certainly would “F*!K” us if that monstrosity is pushed through.

ErpichtAuf on December 18, 2009 at 7:09 PM

What did Ed say about these types putting their heads together and playing a game of tic-tac-toe with a carnival chicken?

csdeven on December 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Even back in the Seventies, nobody ever got laid by acting liberal.

logis on December 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Free Health Care = Free Love?

WyoMike on December 18, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Wow. Rock the Vote comes out as a Democrat media shill group.

How courageous.

Axeman on December 18, 2009 at 7:34 PM

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM
I think you get my point.
Or do I need to start calling you pooptech? ;)

Lanceman on December 18, 2009 at 6:04 PM

No, they annoy me equally. It was fine when they were easy but once they started becoming vectors for disease (and we all know what demographic that carried over from) there was no usefulness left. :)

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Every generation has stupid kids, but this last one………

Lanceman on December 18, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Who wants a venerial disease anyway?

shick on December 18, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I think I contracted one just from watching that video.

SagebrushPuppet on December 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Whore yourself for ObamaCare? Nice. I’ll be sure to tell my 15 year-old.

Claypigeon on December 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Can I say “retarded”? That clip AND RtV is just flat out retarded!!!

AH_C on December 18, 2009 at 8:28 PM

15-year-old to Claypigeon: Ewwwwww! That’s gross, Dad!

SagebrushPuppet on December 18, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I pledge …

SagebrushPuppet on December 18, 2009 at 11:13 PM

The main chick talking is rediculously hot.

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 18, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Who . . . “Ol’ Fisheyes”? NOT. Her jaw’s bigger than yours, dude.

voxpopuli on December 18, 2009 at 5:27 PM

She’d be really pretty if she had a different face.

SagebrushPuppet on December 18, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Youth is wasted on the young.

This was the dumbest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Ten bucks says most of them will end up in bed with someone who could give a shit about politics. A couple of drinks, music, dancing, full moon…..done.

Yeah right.

Saltysam on December 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM

She’d be really pretty if she had a different face.

SagebrushPuppet on December 18, 2009 at 11:15 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me. The blonde chick is hot! Big eyes and all!

DethMetalCookieMonst on December 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Wow. The most tedious Friday Night Lights character pitching in to help the most tedious president in U.S. history.

“I dunno, izjust . . . m’Dad, goes offta Arack, n’ I gotta takecare ma Grammaw . . . n’ . . . affordable health care . . . izjust . . .”

DrZin on December 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Reminds me of Harlan Ellison’s line in Stalking the Nightmare when a sleazeball producer sent him a starlet as a bribe to break a writer’s strike: “I wish I could say I used her brutally and then threw her out, but I just told her politely to leave.”

Chris_Balsz on December 19, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Obviously.

The country’s in the very best of hands.

(wait; didn’t you like already post that comment in another thread?

yeah, man. but it’s the same crap here. whatever.)

Never, ever going to, huh? Yeah, I’ll bet that’s what Uncle Joe said as he was signing the orders to have the gulag rail cars brought into the station.

Line up suckers. No pushing.

dissent555 on December 19, 2009 at 3:05 AM

Yet one more reason to have an IQ test of some sort to vote. The language was crude, and I ain’t no prude. Just “Rock the Vote” is catered to kids as young as 12. Another MTV abomination. That “Music” channel destroyed any true political thinking among young people and put Rock and Roll in a coffin long ago.

And, oh yeah, the cougar chick is pretty damn hot. One weekend with me, and she’d be a Barry Goldwater Conservative and a loyal Tea Party Attendee…..

adamsmith on December 19, 2009 at 6:27 AM

I would ask that young man “What do you consider a reasonable profit margin?” You know he has no idea what the profit margin is. He’s just like Obama, except that he was probably born in America and isn’t black.

disa on December 19, 2009 at 9:52 AM

That sure would not impact me — I wouldn’t touch that skank with a ten foot pole, much less any part of my body.

RhymesWithRight on December 19, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Skanks for Obama.

RobCon on December 19, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Hey dude with older chick: Is Chlamydia covered under Omamacare?

kurtzz3 on December 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM

So where is the feminist outrage?
They are too bust polishing their new d/cks.

RobCon on December 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I WANT MY MVD.

RobCon on December 19, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Well this Eva is after all the offspring of the sarah palin hatin’ Susan Sarandon. Just preachin’ what her parents taught her. Can’t say I am impressed.

SouthTexasLady on December 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM