Oh my: Lieberman out of town before crucial Senate vote as snowstorm moves in

posted at 7:53 pm on December 18, 2009 by Allahpundit

Supposedly he’s in Connecticut for the Jewish sabbath, but come on. We all know he’s in Barbados. Laughing his ass off.

Already, they’ve wheeled in the cots for members and staff who choose to slumber party the night away in the Capitol, or Senate offices. But tomorrow, bright and early, all of them could need to be on hand for procedural reasons. For instance, Democrats expect to have to waive a budget point of order they expect Republicans to raise against the defense appropriations bill. That requires 60 votes…

“After being assured by Democratic and Republican leaders that his vote was not needed to pass the Defense Appropriations bill, Senator Lieberman went to Connecticut to spend the Sabbath and the last night of Hanukkah with his wife, Hadassah, and their children and grandchildren,” reads a statement to TPMDC from Lieberman’s spokesman Marshall Wittmann.

That means Democrats will be relying on at least one Republican to help them get the defense bill over a procedural bump in order to push them back on to health care. They’re crossing their fingers.

Cloture on the defense bill passed 63-33, with Collins, Snowe, and Kay Bailey Hutchison voting yes. With Lieberman gone, if all three flip to no on the budget point, the Senate will be paralyzed until Joementum gets back to D.C. to cast the 60th vote. Which, given Reid’s exacting timetable for passing health care on Christmas Eve, would cock up the whole schedule. Can the wonder twins from Maine do that much for us? They’re both voting no on cloture for ObamaCare and the defense bill is a fait accompli, so what do they have to gain by voting yes tomorrow morning? Delay, delay, delay.

Oh, and a friendly reminder from Politico: Not only are negotiations with Nelson expected to stretch long into the night, but we still don’t have a CBO score on whatever the hell it is that Reid’s planning to submit. Exit question: What exactly are they negotiating with Nelson? It sounds like they can’t give him anything more on abortion than the Casey language that he’s already rejected or else pro-choice senators will walk, so they must be either trying to buy him off or just weeping in front of him about “making history” and what not. How long does he need to make up his mind? He’s going to cave or he’s not. Let’s go already.

Comments

I don’t know if there have ever been two more perfectly timed blizzards in all of history.

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Amen. God has a sense of humor – no doubt about it.

Midas on December 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Doesn’t “born again American” suggest that for the first time in your adult life, you are proud of your country?

LibTired on December 18, 2009 at 8:51 PM

My question is are these people ‘born again Americans’ because of our Precedent?

thomasaur on December 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM

TGIF!

cmsinaz on December 18, 2009 at 8:48 PM

cmsinaz: I second that!!:)

canopfor on December 18, 2009 at 8:58 PM

BO better return his peace prize since we just bombed Yemen.

txag92 on December 18, 2009 at 8:03 PM

txag92: Hopey pulled a Clinton!!:)

canopfor on December 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM

will there now be children out of baby milk or aspirin?
where is peter arnett on this one?

ted c on December 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Bruno Strozek on December 18, 2009 at 8:42 PM

LOL, hadn’t read far enough down – +1 to you!

Midas on December 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Clown -“I’m sorry. The Senator has spoken for 10 minutes.”

Liebernman -“I wonder if I could ask unanimous consent for just an additional moment?”

Clown -“Um, in my capacity as Senator from Minnesota, uh, I object.”

The only difference being that in shutting Lieberman up, Franken was performing a public service.

Bleeds Blue on December 17, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Good stuff.

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM

clinker46 on December 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I really enjoyed that. Thank you!

sisterchristian on December 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I expect that Franken’s response will be to physically attack Lieberman.

csdeven on December 18, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Take it from someone who has met Al Franken, the only thing he could physically attack is a potato knish. Anything tougher than well done pastrami would kick his ass sideways.

JohnGalt23 on December 18, 2009 at 9:01 PM

thomasaur on December 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Why else?

LibTired on December 18, 2009 at 9:03 PM

He doesn’t roll on the Sabbath.

liquidflorian on December 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Palin/Lieberman 2012!

Rovin on December 18, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Nelsons indecision is an end around. By him hem hawing, others are out of the limelight and have the pressure off them. Count on him to be number 60.

Wade on December 18, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I hope Washington gets buried in ten feet of snow, the power goes out and no one can get in or out to vote on this disaster!

Rovin on December 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I could not agree more.

I live in Northern VA, my generator is all set to go.

Fired up the snow blower tonight (first time in 4? years).

Plenty of food/alcohol on hand.

Car in garage all nice and cozy.

I want to see this area get buried.

(Who says God does not have a sense of humor?) :)

F15Mech on December 18, 2009 at 9:11 PM

How ironic; global cooling may save our republic.

LASue on December 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Best comment.

Schadenfreude on December 18, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Good stuff.

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM

BH, how schadenfreudig of you :)

Schadenfreude on December 18, 2009 at 9:24 PM

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Amen. God has a sense of humor – no doubt about it.

Midas on December 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Oh yeah. And this isn’t the first time, either.

tgharris on December 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM

The last time there was a storm with such impeccable timing, I believe the Spanish Armada was involved.

nogooddeed on December 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I think every bill should be read in the Senate…

Then maybe they would cut them down to two pages.

Seven Percent Solution on December 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I have always opined that if it is worth passing, it is worth reading to the electorate.

riverrat10k on December 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I’m hoping for 4 feet of snow tomorrow morning, followed by a power failure.

GarandFan on December 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Amen. God has a sense of humor – no doubt about it.

Midas on December 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I am rolling on the floor laughing at 5 inches out my window and the news from Denmark. Did y’all read the link about Lord Monkton getting assaulted?

riverrat10k on December 18, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Is now a good time to tell D.C. that they should lead the way and implement Obama’s proposed 80% CO2 cut?

gekkobear on December 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM

nogooddeed on December 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM

This story actually made me think of Washington’s December 25, 1776, march through a violent snowstorm with his dwindling troops for a surprise and last ditch attack on the Hessians. In less than an hour, the Battle of Trenton was won and the tide of the Revolutionary War had been turned.

LASue on December 18, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Well it looks like we may have beat this thing this year. I am being cautiously optimistic and I am hoping and praying that Nelson does not cave. I am also praying the Republicans stand strong and that there will be no defections.

Die zombie bill!

Shogun144 on December 18, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Hasn’t been snowing long…but turning white already and definitely sticking…hehehe

DCJeff on December 18, 2009 at 9:55 PM

How is Senator Byrd feeling these days?

stenwin77 on December 18, 2009 at 9:59 PM

or just weeping in front of him about “making history”

I would pay good money to see Reid in tears.

Kevin71 on December 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I hope this global warming blizzard prevents them from voting for this hideous bill!

MCGIRV on December 18, 2009 at 10:19 PM

From The Hill

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) will not be trudging through the snow to a Senate vote this weekend.

Earlier this month on a Saturday, Lieberman walked five miles through inclement weather from his home and synagogue in Georgetown to make it to the upper chamber to vote on healthcare reform amendments.

Lieberman, an observant Jew, does not plan to do that again this weekend.

Schadenfreude on December 18, 2009 at 10:53 PM

“It isn’t nice to fool Mother Nature”

darwin-t on December 18, 2009 at 10:53 PM

How is Senator Byrd feeling these days?

stenwin77 on December 18, 2009 at 9:59 PM

He won’t walk to the hill either.

Imagine being Al Gore or Obama.

Schadenfreude on December 18, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Heh

I just put a tape measure in the snow on my deck…

1″ in 3 hours, grass is mostly covered now (pavement was covered a while ago).

A couple of more inches and traffic via car to DC will be shutdown. (Course a Humvee/Carryall/Helicopter may be able to make it).

As the temps dip DC Metro will probably also be shutdown in the morning due to ice on the tracks.

(I live about 30 minutes west of DC).

F15Mech on December 18, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Forgot

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

F15Mech on December 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM

According to the weather channel, Washington DC is predicted to get between 15 and 24 inches of snow by tomorrow night.

playblu on December 18, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I’ll repeat my comment from Page 1:

Have there ever been two more perfectly timed blizzards in all of history?

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Franken should have let him speak.

Little Boomer on December 18, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it. It would be historically historic if this is undone by an act of God.

Mojave Mark on December 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Well here in DC we are expecting up to 2 feet of snow by tomorrow night.
It couldn’t be more ironic, because AlGore isn’t even here.

Dhuka on December 18, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I’ll repeat my comment from Page 1:

Have there ever been two more perfectly timed blizzards in all of history?

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I know it is not over yet but I have to say…

Everyone that prayed to God for some sort of intervention.

Thank-you and keep it up.

F15Mech on December 18, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Dhuka on December 18, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Any snow in DC yet?

F15Mech on December 18, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Franken should have let him speak.

Little Boomer on December 18, 2009 at 11:10 PM

You are right. One minute and it could cost them health care reform.

milwife88 on December 18, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Winter Storm Warning in effect until 6 am EST Sunday… Light to occasionally moderate snow will continue across the metropolitan areas of Washington DC and the city of Baltimore overnight. Through 1230 am…the heavier snowfall is expected across the Washington DC area…but will move north to the Baltimore metropolitan area after midnight. Snowfall amounts of one quarter to one half an inch an hour are likely.

It’s a pretty nice night here in the TC’s. Made even nicer by Sen. Al’s absence from the state.

Sorry DC & Virginny posters, hope nobody get frostbite.

(This could be payback for all of Percy Peabody’s snide comments about Minny…)

Bruno Strozek on December 18, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Current weather conditions in Washington DC.
Light snow and mist, going to get worse overnight and into Saturday.

milwife88 on December 18, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Disclaimer-haven’t read any of the comments yet. But Joe is no fool-try taking AMTRAK from DC to CT about now.

Del Dolemonte on December 18, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Snow in DC is coming down hard and is expected to accumulate to 7 inches by morning and up to 24 inches by late night Saturday. DC will essentially be shut down tomorrow.

Dhuka on December 18, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Snow, Snow, Snow!

Joe, Joe, Joe!

Ho, Ho, Ho!

LibTired on December 18, 2009 at 8:24 PM

We have a winnah!

Del Dolemonte on December 18, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I am not Jewish, so I have no idea what his beliefs are nor am I sure what plan he has.

For the sake of argument what is the worse/best case for Lieberman to be back in DC based on his heritage?

Not counting the weather in DC.

F15Mech on December 19, 2009 at 12:19 AM

And in related news, Kay Bailey just wrecked whatever slim chances she had of being governor here in Texas.

Erich66 on December 18, 2009 at 8:29 PM

You know how that ignorant woman has been running ads how she is staying in the Senate fighting for us “even if it costs her her political future”? Kind of her version of McCain’s “suspending the campaign.”

I’ve been pushing the idea everywhere, including Perry’s facebook page that Rick needs to call her bluff. Tell her to go ahead and step down, and he can go ahead and appoint Michael Williams to her seat. Problem solved and she won’t be forced to “sacrifice herself!”

We need to really get a movement started pushing this deal!

gary4205 on December 19, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Ohhhhhhhh…
The bill on Harry’s desk is frightful,
And the Kenyan in the manger is spiteful,
They chisel with the lights down low,
Make it slow, Shabbas Joe, make it slow!

(Apologies to Sammy Cahn)

Western_Civ on December 19, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Heh heh heh….

D.C. snow emergency in effect at 7 a.m. Saturday
Washington Post (blog) – ‎4 hours ago‎
DC Mayor Adrian Fenty has declared a snow emergency as of 7 am Saturday, and that has some specific consequences for people who live or travel in the …

mnealtx on December 19, 2009 at 12:35 AM

currently live about 45 minutes east-ish of DC (30 minutes away from Andrews Air Force Base) and it is coming down in droves…lots of snow and boy is it STICKING!

Although it is going to be a pain for my friends trying to return home from college & law school around the Maryland and Virginia areas and for me to shovel out tomorrow may God be praised for this is truly by all appearances a Christmas miracle.

SgtSVJones on December 19, 2009 at 1:01 AM

If paybacks are really what they are supposed to be here’s what could happen……

Abortion destroys the Libs/Dems chances of passing this bill.

PappyD61 on December 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM

+1000

tigerlily on December 19, 2009 at 1:38 AM

AS SO MANY OF US HAVE BEEN SAYING, READ THE BILL!

The GOP better play their Ace THIS WEEK and make sure that the HealthScare bill gets read – every word and at every opportunity parlimentary rules allow.

Just using this simple tactic could delay a vote for months. And, since 61% of Americans are against the bill, the GOP should be all over the airways talking about why it is a disaster and proudly proclaiming that they are protecting the citizenry and the Constitution.

Say it loud and proud GOP – we are not the Party of NO, we are the party of HELL, NO!

tigerlily on December 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Thanks for that BH! I am watching the snow beautifully fall at the South Jersey shore. Dare I say that I feel hope for all that this storm brings? God really does work in mysterious ways (sorry Allah!).

margategop517 on December 19, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Rovin on December 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Power outages will be a given. The idiots aren’t smart enough to bury their power lines. A stiff breeze is disaster.

jdkchem on December 19, 2009 at 2:14 AM

All three flip to no? That is a lot to ask from these political “poll” dancers.

patrick neid on December 19, 2009 at 2:32 AM

Cars spinning in circles on I-270 in Maryland. Still falling at 2am

Anyhow, all these politicians are power hungry socio-paths.

Term limits would allow for Obamacare to not even be considered because normal people would come into the position to make responsible decisions and then leave. Normal people …

father on December 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM

What earmarks were inserted in the military funding bill this time?

The three Republicans who supported cloture were Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas and Maine Sens. Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins

Kay’s on dope ‘n change. ‘AS TOUGH AS TEXAS,’ her @ss.

“I’m doing everything I can to defeat the Democrats in Washingon.”–Hutchison, “I’m staying in Washington at risk to my political career.”

maverick muse on December 19, 2009 at 6:09 AM

Freakin Franken…. Joe didn’t take it personal!

God must not like this bill!
How ironic killed by a global warming blizzard and the baby killers. Oh please let it be so!

dhunter on December 19, 2009 at 7:30 AM

BadgerHawk on December 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Gorebal warming…

ladyingray on December 19, 2009 at 7:59 AM

The Maine clown(ettes) will screw it up, guaranteed.

mr.blacksheep on December 19, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Hope it’s heavy wet snow, too. Not even 4×4’s go through that without chains, and then when it ices up, that’s even better. Does Harry see the bill going slip sliding away yet??

Kissmygrits on December 19, 2009 at 8:46 AM

It’s 9:22 a.m. here in D.C., and we’ve already got at least 7 inches on the ground. And that’s with the heaviest snow yet to fall, and there’s the fact that it’s not supposed to stop snowing altogether until at least 6 a.m. tomorrow.

If Joementum is to save Obamacare, he’s going to have to hire some sled dogs to mush him on into the Capitol.

Vyce on December 19, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Nelson is a YES per drudge. Gee what a shock!! Never saw that coming.

angryed on December 19, 2009 at 9:34 AM

The worlds most elite club needs dismantling now.

bluegrass on December 19, 2009 at 10:00 AM

They know how to manipulate people and now they have the power of the U.S. federal government and the wealth and credit of the American People to use as they see fit (the ultimate political campaign treasury…so why all this pretense that this monstrosity won’t pass and that it won’t somehow end up with exactly what they want including the public option, cost-cutting measures, public option, etc.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 19, 2009 at 10:35 AM

After Sen. Franken’s conduct towards Joe he should be proud to kill this bill…’graveyard’ dead!

shov74 on December 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I see the Republican Party isn’t above playing political games at the military’s expense during a war.

hicsuget on December 19, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Not counting the weather in DC.

F15Mech on December 19, 2009 at 12:19 AM

*ZERO*
He’s an Orthodox Jew.

firefoxy on December 20, 2009 at 2:59 AM

Allah, what is an EXIT QUESTION?

leftnomore on December 20, 2009 at 6:36 AM