China snubs Obama in Copenhagen

posted at 8:48 am on December 18, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Perhaps Barack Obama saw his arrival in Copenhagen today as “the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal,” but it turns out it wasn’t even the moment when nations began to pay attention to him.  While Obama trotted out his familiar exhortation that “the time for talk is over,” the Chinese apparently took him at his word:

“There is no time to waste,” Obama said. “Now I believe it is time for the nations of the world to come together behind a common purpose. There has to be movement on all sides. It is better for us to act rather than talk. ”

But action was hard to find.

A hastily arranged meeting this morning attended by Obama and leaders from a sea of other nations (Russia, Japan, Mexico, England, Germany, France, Colombia, Australia, Denmark, India, Brazil, South Africa, Spain, South Korea, Norway and Ethiopia) yielded nothing. Heads of state say they were unable to dislodge the barriers to a deal all-along:  developed and developing nations cannot agree on the pace of emission control, how to verify pollution cuts are occurring, and who will pay and how much for the inevitable economic dislocations carbon cuts will bring.

Senior Chinese officials — those empowered to make decisions here – boycotted the meeting. Chinese Vice Foreign Minister He Yafei came mainly as an observer. His  attendance was viewed widely by heads of state as a formal Chinese snub of an 11th-hour push for compromise.

The move signaled China’s go-it-alone approach. China has committed only to reduce its carbon-intensity, a method of pollution control linked to increases in gross domestic product the West finds underwhelming. China has also balked at allowing tougher international verification of its pollution control efforts.

Well, at least the Chinese agreed with Obama.  The time for talk was over for them yesterday.

France’s Nicolas Sarkozy blamed China for the apparent collapse of the Copenhagen conference, but that’s only because no one was listening to them in the first place.  China made clear that it was prepared to discuss carbon intensity, the issue of efficiency in production to reduce carbon emissions from manufacturing and energy production, but not arbitrary reductions in carbon emissions that would stifle economic growth.  China actually has the correct approach, not just for China but for an entire world struggling through an economic crisis.

I warned yesterday that Obama risked his credibility by traveling abroad again and returning home empty-handed … again.  It reduces the impact of presidential diplomacy and makes Obama look desperate.

Of course, Obama also plans to meet with Russia’s Dmitry Medvedev to discuss the stalled START pact, in which the Russians have also balked on verification issues.  The White House doesn’t expect to win any agreement there, either, which makes this a double failure.

Update: The AP has updated its reporting on Copenhagen to include this blast from Friends of the Earth:

Some environmentalists criticized his remarks.

“This speech appears to be more of a face-saving exercise for President Obama than an attempt to unite countries around a truly planet-saving agreement,” said Friends of the Earth U.S. President Erich Pica in a statement.

They changed the headline, too.  It now reads, “Obama urges climate action, offers no new proposals” — which sounds a lot like his efforts on ObamaCare over the last few months, too.

Update II: Here’s a good question from Rob Port — did Obama and Nancy Pelosi jet-pool to Copenhagen?  They didn’t take separate carbon-spewing jets, did they?

Update III: Obama finally tracked down China’s premier for a meeting — in private.  However, no one expects more than a political statement from the conference now:

President Barack Obama and other world leaders took stalled climate talks into their own hands Friday, holding an emergency meeting to come up with a political agreement to salvage a conference marked by deep divisions between rich and poor countries.

But neither Obama nor Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao offered any new commitments to cut greenhouse gas emissions as they addressed the U.N. climate conference in Copenhagen. And Wen skipped the high-level meeting, sending an envoy instead. …

Any agreement was expected, at best, to envision emissions-cutting targets for rich nations and billions in climate aid for poor countries, but fall well short of the goal of a legally binding pact. If the political deal is done, it would still be seen by many as a setback, following two years of intense negotiations to agree on new emissions reductions and financial support for poorer nations. …

Delegates filtering out of the predawn discussions Friday sounded disappointed.

“It’s a political statement, but it isn’t a lot,” said Chinese delegate Li Junhua.

“It would be a major disappointment. A political declaration would not guarantee our survival,” said Selwin Hart, a delegate from Barbados speaking for the Alliance of Small Island States, many of which are threatened by seas rising form global warming.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Haiku Guy

Write Congress: FESTINA LENTE!

“Rush slowly” (festina lente) and “Whatever is done well enough is done quickly enough” (sat celeriter fieri quidquid fiat satis bene; see, for both, Suet. Aug. 25.4). These are the mottoes of a patient and careful planner.

As consul in 28 BC, Octavian had annulled all the “illegal” acts of the triumvirate, effectively wiping the slate clean in that department (Dio 53.2.6); his behavior in this year, with Agrippa as his colleague, was generally traditional, generous, and exemplary (Dio 53.1-2). A new beginning was being heralded, support for it organized, and its nature indicated: later, Augustus himself considered the events of 28 and 27 BC as part of a single process of transferring “the republic from my power to the dominion of the senate and people of Rome” (RG 34.1).

maverick muse on December 18, 2009 at 11:05 AM

All Obama has left is debt, and he intends to build his utopia by making more debt

Mine, mine, all mine!–Obama

maverick muse on December 18, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Where Midas’ touch turned all to gold, Obama’s turns all to debt.

maverick muse on December 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM

NEVER has there been a worse president and some of us knew this Afirmative Action recruit would live up to his full unaccomplished potential!

Time to snip this puppets strings Mayor Daley, George Soros!

dhunter on December 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Each time he says “the time for talk is over” I get my hopes up that he will stop giving speeches. Then the next hour comes along and …..

GnuBreed on December 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Epic GINORMOUS Fail

NoFanofLibs on December 18, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Halliburton?

Does that still work?

mankai on December 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Now he’s on his way to Hawaii or soon will be for a vacation. I guess he’ll need one after he failed again.

Brat4life on December 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Copenhagen has not been kind to Pinnochio he best come back to the States and go before the down on their knees, drolling, State Run Media, give a couple of HealthScare speeches and throw down the guantlet for the 39th time!

Thats’ the ticket come home Pinnochio and give a Christmas Eve speech on the benfits of a HealthScare bill NO-ONE has read.

Halp us Pinnochio!

dhunter on December 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM

It’s so beautiful when the proud and haughty fall, and fall hard.

Epic. Fail.

enoughalready on December 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Brat4life on December 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I think the year should end with him wiping out while surfing.

nitzsche on December 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I think the year should end with him wiping out while surfing.

nitzsche on December 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Or getting eaten by a soon to be extinct Great White Shark!

Oh the irony a Great, WHITE, soon to be extinct mammal, does in the A.A. Presidente!

dhunter on December 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM

What an idiot. “I’m Obama, here to save the day so enough talking and get it done. I don’t how you do it just get it done”.

jaboba on December 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM

jaboba on December 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM

mighty mouse 2.0?

cmsinaz on December 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM

From Odumbo’s speech:”the inequality and injustice of climate change”
Let the titanic idiocy of that iconic ,vapid,typically leftist cant reverberate through your brain cells and tell me that the inmates aren’t running the asylum.
That’s real nice going, 52%

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on December 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Obama!

STFU!

enoughalready on December 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM

If I were China, the last thing I’d want to do, is sit and listen to the man/child preach to me about alleged global warming, when he’s not smart enough to know, when to say when on the spending.

It’s rather insulting, in my opinion, to have Obama try and tout himself as a player on the world stage, when it’s blatantly obvious, he’s inept. He knows how to destroy, not to save.

Bravo to China, and Russia. I’m sick of other nations trying to hold the U.S. hostage for money. They hate capitalism, but have no problem putting their hands out, taking money from what capitalists money. Hypocrites. The lot of them!

capejasmine on December 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM

China snubs Obama in Copenhagen

China, A communist country, is politically to the right of our National Embarrassment who deserves a number instead of a Nobel Peace Prize.

MaiDee on December 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Is it wrong to want to thank China for all this?

Goldenavatar on December 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM

For an Update at the bottom of this story you should insert the video from Saturday Night Live with Obama and the Chinese President. “I like to get kissed while you are sexing me.”
I swear, that is all I can think of.

Repubtallygirl on December 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Wen Jiabao: We want our money.

Obama: But, we’re here to save the planet.

Wen Jiabao: Do I look like Mrs. Obama?

Speakup on December 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Gee, I wonder how long it will take for the cigarette smoke to be cleaned out of Air Force One by the time this epic failure is done joy riding around by the time 2012 rolls around?

Winebabe on December 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Now President Obama should realize that the only supporters he has is the one he wears when dribbling around a BBall Court and when posing with his court, nose held high.

MSGTAS on December 18, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Well, that supporter happens to be empty.

Yoop on December 18, 2009 at 1:25 PM

So Obambi gets back to the White House and he GW.

Hi George. Listen, I’ll cut to the chase. I have no idea what the freak I’m doing. I thought all I had to do was run around and give speeches and look presidential and the waves would part, you know what I mean? But people keep talking about “being prepared,” and “having done the work.” I’m kind of lost here–what is this “work” they are talking about?

Hey Barrack (he pronounces it with accent on the first syllable)! Yeah, you’re getting your a$$ kicked all over the place. Not doggin’ you or anything, I just kinda noticed, you know what I mean? We all go through that “waves” phase, to some extent, I figure. Listen, come down to Crawford, we’ll clear some brush, smoke up some barbeque, and I can tell you how I got through being the dumba$$ of the world, no thanks to your party, of course. No recriminations, I’m just saying. I’ll help you out, don’t worry. So yeah, come on down! Oh, but, uh, no wives, ok?

Wow, George, you’d do that for me?

You bet Barrack. Heck, I may be a sinner, but I am Christian man.

Uh, yeah, uh, me too.

Oh. One other thing Barrack. Ya gotta be willing to give up on the idea of being popular. Think you can do that?

Barrack, are you there?

Uh, yeah, I’m here. Hey listen I gotta run this Crawford thing by my wife, you know what I mean?

Hey sure Barrack! Gotta cross the I’s and dot the T’s, heh, heh. Give me a holler!

Uh, yeah. Will do.

GW chuckles to himself.

Poor guy. Well I guess that’s what happens when you like yourself too much. He ain’t gonna call. Not this month anyway. Heh heh. Hey Laura, anything good on TV tonight?

smellthecoffee on December 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Sheesh. This is what we get for electing a guy who never even managed a Burger King prior to coronation as World President.

olesparkie on December 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM

All they needed was a scapegoat. Now they have one. It’s over.

nottakingsides on December 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Wen Jiabao: We want our money the keys to AF1. You’ve been joy-riding around the planet way too much lately — it’s time you actually did some work.

Speakup on December 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM

ya2daup on December 18, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Disgusting and our own fault that we ever got to the point that the Red Chinese: infanticide killers, forced aborters and killers of freedom, have displaced us as a manufacturing and economic superpower. They own the once great USA. obasoros is just a gnat that they will crush as they move onward and upward, as they buy up and develop energy hotspots throughout the world as well as in their own nation while we continue, again through our own fault, to let obasoros sit one more second in the Oval Office, destroying our chances to recover with every minute he “serves”.

obasoros wants to collapse the USA, it may hurt his ego a bit more to have the Chinese, Russians and Iranians do it, but to him, however it gets done is all good.

Here’s a great clip from an ex USSR KGB spy and inflitrator who “converted” and talks about how the politicians that the Soviet puppetmasters used while overturning and collapsing their own governments were discarded, most times executed, after the collapse occured and their time of useful idiocy was up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMZGGQ0ERk

tigerlily on December 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM

what does Pookie think!?

ted c on December 18, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Hu Jintao is po’ed that they didn’t get dinner and a movie…

nor a *kiss*….

kiss me?

ted c on December 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Rush just read some of this Thread on the air and gave Ed and Hot Air a shout out. Alright, Ed!

kingsjester on December 18, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I imagine that “private meeting” between Jiabao and Bambi was similar to a 14 year old getting yelled at for wasting his allowance on pop rocks and Pepsi, while letting the yard go unmowed and refusing to do their homework.

Odie1941 on December 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Love it!

ya2daup on December 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Isn’t this irony on a historic scale. It appears our capitalistic system is to be saved from the rapacious march of world socialism – by communist China. The world is on its head.

Wolf Howling on December 18, 2009 at 10:09 AM

And who ought to be thanked for helping China get started on this path?

… wait for it …

Nixon and Kissinger!

(I love the sound of leftists’ heads exploding in the morning… it reminds me of… victory.)

ya2daup on December 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM

With two you get eggroll (on Hussein’s face).

leftnomore on December 18, 2009 at 4:33 PM

MSGTAS on December 18, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Well, that supporter happens to be empty.

Yoop on December 18, 2009 at 1:25 PM

BARES repeating!

leftnomore on December 18, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I sense Obama is about to lose his cool in a public way with some outburst or other angry outburst….once that happens, it’s all over.

tatersalad on December 18, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Friday, December 18, 2009
Don Surber: Obama should have listened to Palin

Charleston Daily Mail columnist Don Surber:

Boycott Copenhagen, she told him.

But did he listen?

Nooooooooo!

He’s a big smarty pants with degrees from Columbia and Harvard who is surrounded by a bunch of other smarty pantsed people with degrees from the Ivy leagues.

So what did he do? He braced a blizzard to speak on global warming.

That makes no sense.

And it won him no friends.
FAIL

idesign on December 18, 2009 at 11:25 PM

This POS is damaging even the bulwarks of what has made Soros rich and has made Daley rich. This guy is screwing eveyone in the process of his filthy corrupt way of managing this incredible machine called the USA. Even the lousy puppeteers of this scum are losing. Not to mention the true Americans and the true patriots. Dear God what would the likes of Washington and Jackson and Adams and all of the supporting dudes such as Revere and Tocqueville say about the impending destruction of our lives and our country as we have known it. This is true destruction. What does the proletariat and the middle class and the upper class have to say….. sadly… NOTHING. I’m now looking into history where there has been the indifference shown that has worked to destroy the way of life of the country. There are many examples and I notice that they are all due to FREAKIN INDIFFERENCE AND an unwillingness to take up positions against the gangsters that are attempting to rule. Please, this is not from a foolish revolutionist or silly hippy type or anything of the sort…. I am an American and I adore my country. It is going down before my very eyes. Now what?????????? He is taking us apart piece by piece……….. Let us understand the facts and make the proper and appropriate actions……. vote the sob out of office please……… We MUST care about our country.

highninside on December 21, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I DO NOT WANT TO EAT CAKE…..

highninside on December 21, 2009 at 12:49 AM