Olbermann: I’ll go to jail before I comply with health-insurance mandate

posted at 1:55 pm on December 17, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Hey, I actually agree with Keith Olbermann in this clip — although not for the same reasons. I think a federal mandate to buy health insurance from a government-selected list of choices is “heinous,” too, but that doesn’t rely on whether the same government offers its own health-care plan in the exchange. It’s heinous when the federal government dictates to its citizens far outside the constrained powers granted it in the Constitution, and it’s also illegal (via The College Politico):

I want to address this point:

“We must not buy federally-mandated insurance, if this cheesy counterfeit of reform is all we can buy. No single payer, no sale. No public option, no sale. No Medicare buy-in, no sale. I am one of the self-insured, albeit by choice, and I hereby pledge that I will not buy this perversion of health-care reform.”

What Olbermann says here is that while he’s self-insured by choice now, he doesn’t think that’s a choice other Americans should be able to make if the federal government offers a public plan along with the mandate. Does that make any sense at all? Would Olbermann dump his self-insurance, presumably taking advantage of HSAs and market-based competition for his health-care dollars, in favor of a Medicare buy-in or a public option? After all, Olbermann seems blessed with good health, and withholding himself from the risk pools could be arguably skewing costs upwards (infinitesimally) for other Americans. And if that seems like a silly argument, well, that’s the argument for insisting on a mandate in the first place.

Olbermann would be better off insisting that other Americans get the same choice he already has, rather than demanding a single-payer system or its precursors (public option and Medicare buy-ins) that would strip us all of those choices. Americans should join Olbermann on his call for civil disobedience on federal health-care mandates, but ironically in order to allow Olbermann to continue choosing to eliminate third-party payers from forcing themselves between Olbermann and his medical care.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Keith in jail. He’d last about 4 nanoseconds before his uhhh…. “mouth” was torn to shreds.

Key West Reader on December 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Looks like I will take the honors…

RACISSSSTTTT!!!!!!

Eprider on December 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Keith in jail. Yah, that’ll happen. Obamunism’s last stand.

Mojave Mark on December 17, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Poor Keithy, he just want’s to hang out with his good buddy Bernie Ward again.

DSchoen on December 17, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Either you think he’s relevant or not.
Pick.
AnninCA on December 17, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Of course he is relevant!

Olbermann speaks for the entire Dem party!

DSchoen on December 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Olberman says:

“Brand me a lawbreaker if you choose.
Fine me if you will.
Jail me if you must.”

Well, it’s an original way to get people to vote for the health care bill, Keith.

Danzo on December 17, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Yup, well it’s official Keith, I cant stand you even when I agree with you…hahaha

oped01 on December 18, 2009 at 3:45 AM

I feel the same way about going to jail instead of paying the govt any fine or whatever.I was not looking forward to it until I found out I might be able to get in a cell with Olberman.I want to see if he is half as bad as his mouth is.Also, would enjoy watching Olberman playing drop the soap with Bubba in shower.

jarhead0311 on December 18, 2009 at 5:21 AM

I really like the idea of libbies getting upset that they might be forced to buy health insurance. Private health insurance.

I’d like to think they’d understand now why so many around them are agitated at being forced to buy into anything..

Ho ho ho.

Reaps on December 18, 2009 at 5:34 AM

Not clicking.

fossten on December 18, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Oh Keithy Wiethy, a nice young man named Spike would like to talk to you, alone, in his cell on D block tonight. I know you’ve been a bit shy since coming here but I think a little quality time with Spike is just the thing to get you out of your shell. I’d start off by complimenting his swastika tattoos, he quite a few you know.

One more thing, he’d like you to bring a toothbrush and a tube of vasoline.

Bubba Redneck on December 18, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Evidence that even Mr. Ogerman has his limits to being a leftist.

MSGTAS on December 18, 2009 at 9:18 AM

All of this goes to show just what a bunch of high school amateurs the Democrats are. They are headed for a tremendous train wreck …

Of their own doing.

There’s a point when most professional, competent politicians back off and take their losses to save face and avoid disaster.

The Democrats hit that point about three months ago.

Still they steam on!

Oh well – I’ll enjoy the train wreck!

This bill will be so watered down – President Palin will repeal it the first week she’s in office.

It’s MILLER TIME!

HondaV65 on December 18, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Snicker..he said perversion.That means he’s holding out for fisting kits,as in change you can believe in sweety.

inevitable on December 18, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Doesn’t he have health insurance already? Not such a brave claim I think.

federale86 on December 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Hmmm, Olberdouche in jail instead of polluting the airwaves. I’m down with that.

Hey Keith, in the immortal words of Blondie (singing with the neccessarily exaggerated Noo Yawk accent):

Don’t go away sad
Don’t go away mad
Just go away!

BlueStateBilly on December 18, 2009 at 10:04 AM

the court has simply stopped following the Constitution, and he would be correct.
runawayyyy on December 17, 2009 at 4:20 PM

This is our main problem.
And if the courts are allowed to do it, why would the POTUS do any different.
Justice has become a travesty.

Badger40 on December 18, 2009 at 10:12 AM

He’ll go to jail- umm, will he give up his insurance? Cuz he’d need to do the latter before he’s at risk of the former.

hawksruleva on December 18, 2009 at 10:28 AM

We need a Supreme Court that will overturn Wickard v Filburn. It’s the travesty that allows many of these other travesties.

To me, it’s one of the first decisions that really turned the Constitution on his head. By defining commerce as anything that is done that could affect anyone else, they basically render the Commerce Clause meaningless. If growing food to give to your chickens is commerce, then pretty much ANYthing can be considered commerece.

hawksruleva on December 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I think Olby sees the writing on the wall (gasp!), that he won’t have to give up his current coverage. It will be taken away and then he will be willing to go to jail.

Also, I keep reading stories of jails being overcrowded- where is the gov going to put all of us that refuse to have to buy the govt insurance? I guess building new prisons will add to job growth.

Geez, this is all so sick!

cibolo on December 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I never listen to K.O. because I cannot be sure when he is using sarcasm or when he is serious. I won’t make fun of the helpless.

The problem is I do not believe he is talking down to his audience. I think he is trying to elevate them. Does anyone else see the contradiction?

entagor on December 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Sure you will, Olberdouche.

/Lying Coward.

Machiavelli Hobbes on December 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I can’t look at him without the word “douche” coming into my head.

uptight on December 18, 2009 at 2:21 PM

1: Its not jail, its prison.

2: he should put his money where his mouth is, prove his convictions (no pun intended), and just GO to prison. I recommend Attica or Riker’s Island, but if he goes to Fulsom, maybe he can start a new career in music.

Better still: Sing-Sing.

Virus-X on December 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Hot Air and Olbermann agreeing?!?! 2012 COMETH!!!

abobo on December 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM

With a little touch here and their Olbermann`s suit is quite suited to prison. At least back in the old days. I like the bars–I mean, stripes.

He does have a failure to communicate. But he ain`t very cool.

Sherman1864 on December 18, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Olbergoebbels will end up in prison, just he’ll be there for treason and sedition long before any healthcare dust up.He’s a failure of Shakespearean proportions. Tool….

adamsmith on December 19, 2009 at 6:33 AM