Beeler on debt limit increase

posted at 6:37 pm on December 16, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a while since we checked in with editorial cartoonist Nate Beeler at the Washington Examiner, and if his entry today is any indication, it’s been too long. With Barack Obama spending money we don’t have and a Democratic Congress attempting to impose a massively-expensive progressive agenda, it’s no wonder we’re awash in red ink.  Beeler’s take thinks of it in terms of pressure, and notes the Democratic response:

Democrats want to raise the ceiling.  Conservatives need to raise the roof.

Comments

It’s ok, we owe it to ourselves.

Akzed on December 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM

The federal government desperately needs to cut their budget, but like California, they are powerless to do anything while the unions own the liberal politicians. If they keep spending at the current rate, the unions will have to deal with new owners that won’t be so forgiving, China.

ClanDerson on December 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Like the cartoon, but the explosion of red ink looks more like a mushroom cloud to me.

TXUS on December 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Other peoples’ money, other peoples’ debt. You’ll never get Congress to worry much about debt. They might worry about the bad press involved, but 80% of them never worry about debt. Personally they’re doing okay, and that’s the important thing.

RBMN on December 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Thank goodness this can all be fixed if Congress just produces a health care bill.

/s

Cicero43 on December 16, 2009 at 6:50 PM

It’s ok, we owe it to ourselves the Chinese.

Akzed on December 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM

FIFY

fossten on December 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM

It’s ok, we owe it to ourselves.

Akzed on December 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Not quite true at this point, but, eventually it will be. I’m still wondering how I’ll be able to pay for my daily ration of potato soup and buy US Government bonds out of my Government work-stipend, but I imagine my “betters” in the Socialist-Democrat Partei will be able to figure it out for me…..

dmh0667 on December 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM

OT: Olbieman is doing a “Speshul Komment” on the collapse of ObamaCare. Should be “speshully” entertaining.

Marcus on December 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Looks like Congress is going for a $300 billion temporary increase in the debt limit. Originally they wanted to raise it by $1.8 trillion — enough to last past the next election cycle (barely). With the $300 billion increase, Congress will have to deal with raising the debt limit again by February or March. This should make for interesting kabuki as the primary season heats up.

GnuBreed on December 16, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Democrats want to raise the ceiling. Conservatives need to raise the roof.

Bumpersticker!!!!

lovingmyUSA on December 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Marcus on December 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM

he’ll probably blame W and the (R)s…nothing special

cmsinaz on December 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM

TXUS on December 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I was thinking blood.

They’re bleeding us dry and pretending to themselves that they’re doing us some big favor in doing so.

I’d pull my hair out over this if I weren’t bald already.

Yakko77 on December 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Extended Time Interview:

Did you see the part where Bernake had to refi into a 30-year mortgage, because his extended ARM mortgage exploded. The guy running the US central Bank!

Oil Can on December 16, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Marcus on December 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM

he’ll probably blame W and the (R)s…nothing special

cmsinaz on December 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I’m not so sure. I’m finding MSNBC strangely entertaining tonight. Howard Dean just lit into Mary Landrieu with guns a-blazin’ on “Hardball” . Although I did choke on some wine when Mary said “for the first time in history, certain aspects of healthcare will be free!” She’s not saying “bye-bye” to the 300 million dollars promised her. 300 million she’s trying to get FREE!

Marcus on December 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM

this cartoon foretells what 2010 is going to look like for congressional incumbents…. a bloodsport.

ted c on December 16, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Marcus on December 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Hmm good point. If Obamacare dies I’ll have to watch MSNBC for a week or so.

jhffmn on December 16, 2009 at 7:56 PM

This out-of-control spending has got to stop. Fire congress in 2010.

TN Mom on December 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM

TXUS on December 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Then it would be entirely appropriate as a metaphor, dontcha think?

I also saw blood, and I think it said more for my state of mind than it should have. Please don’t tell DHS!!!

runawayyyy on December 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM