White House using base-closure process to extort Nelson’s vote on ObamaCare?

posted at 1:36 pm on December 15, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

How desperate has the White House become to get anything passed under the name of health-care reform?  According to Michael Goldfarb’s source on Capitol Hill, the Obama administration has targeted the last remaining Democratic holdout, at least among moderates — and they’re willing to damage national security to extort his support.  The White House has threatened Ben Nelson (D-NE) with the closure of Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska if he opposes Reid’s latest version, despite its status as the headquarters of US Strategic Command:

According to a Senate aide, the White House is now threatening to put Nebraska’s Offutt Air Force Base on the BRAC list if Nelson doesn’t fall into line.

Offutt Air Force Base employs some 10,000 military and federal employees in Southeastern Nebraska. As our source put it, this is a “naked effort by Rahm Emanuel and the White House to extort Nelson’s vote.” They are “threatening to close a base vital to national security for what?” asked the Senate staffer.

Indeed, Offutt is the headquarters for US Strategic Command, the successor to Strategic Air Command, and not by accident. STRATCOM was located in the middle of the country for strategic reasons. Its closure would be a massive blow to the economy of the state of Nebraska, but it would also be another example of this administration playing politics with our national security.

The Obama administration has little left to use for leverage.  Why not national security?  After all, if we’re going to bring terrorists into Illinois, what does it matter if we put the US Strategic Command on wheels for a few years?

One reason for the extortion attempt is that the latest version still hasn’t won any converts among the GOP.  Susan Collins (R-ME), once considered a likely supporter of ObamaCare, announced today that the elimination of the public option and the Medicare buy-in isn’t enough to rescue the bill:

Today Collins told reporters that the bill under consideration in the Senate is “too deeply flawed for me to support it.”

“I don’t see voting for the current bill that is on the floor, even with the improvements that have been made,” Collins said. “I’m very leery of the impact of nearly $500 billion in Medicare cuts, particularly the cuts in home health care, which are completely counterproductive to the goal of lowering costs.”

Collins explained that she is continuing to work on the bill not because she intends to vote for it but because, “I think something is going to pass, and I would like to make that bill as good as possible, even if ultimately it’s not a bill that I can support.”

Collins’ colleague from Maine, Olympia Snowe, is not likely to contradict her, and no other Republicans will cast a vote for this monstrosity.  Without the language prohibiting abortion funding, Nelson’s not likely to go for it, either, which leaves Reid at 59 votes — maybe.  He may face some rebellion from the progressive side of his caucus, several of whom pledged not to vote for a bill without any kind of public option.  Getting Lieberman on board may wind up creating just another problem for Reid … unless the White House intends on threatening more base closures and disruption for national security.

Update: Matt Lewis reported this first on his Twitter feed, apparently with a source other than Michael’s.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

When Dr. Utopia escalates, they need to escalate right back. We’ve all seen him cave again and again internationally. I like to think Americans can learn how to play him too.

perries on December 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Yea; Keep your eye on Dark Star; Seems to show up after he finds some good crack. Not too often, thankfully; The DEA is doing a good job.

Cybergeezer on December 15, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I have lived a few miles from Offutt for over 12 years. My take is that the base would not close, Obama is probably threatening move some of the missions to another base and reduce its importance. As far as I know, there are no nuclear arms at offutt (no aircraft stationed at offutt has the capabilities to deliver them them)

tommer74 on December 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Artist says it all: (see below)

“If Nelson was a statesman, he’d say F you and join the GOP.”
artist on December 15, 2009

If Nelson were to go on t.v. and explain El Presidente has NOTHING to say regarding base closures, point out the extraordinary import of Offut AFB to the security of the nation (plus 10,00 jobs for NE), say he’s switching to the GOP as opposed to bowing to this Chicago style intimidation – Hey! Nelson would be Senator For Life.

alwyr on December 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Interesting note: Offutt Air Force Base is the location where Bush was originally going to address the nation from on 9/11. It was also the location of his first major strategy session on that day. Here’s a pic.

amerpundit on December 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Excellent! Close it and Barry Boy won’t have any place to hide after the next terrorist attack!

Cybergeezer on December 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM

And they call the tea party people the MOB! LMAO sounds like projection to me……

xler8bmw on December 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Ahem, a few clarifications on ‘Closing Offutt” and what the purpose of STRATCOM really is. . .from someone who lived/worked there for over 9 years of an AF career (but not as a member of either SAC or STRATCOM – figure that one out, kids. . .)

Anyway, Skippy wants to close Offutt? Sure, what the hell, go for it, big guy. No, it wouldn’t cause our military deterrent to crumble to dust, and no, it would not clog the interstates or airways of the central midwest with a traffic jam of nukes being shuffled around.

Offutt was/is the ‘home of the button’, not of the bombs. It is a Headquarters facility, in large part, with an operational flying wing the operates unarmed C2ISR resources (Command, Control, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance). All of these functions could be relocated or re-aligned if need be, with little or no lasting impact to US military preparedness. As an interesting by-product, it also used to be Air Force Global Weather central, a by product of the SAC Headquarters in the days before the internet. That’s one of several activities housed in the old Martin Bomber factory, building D, one of those structures large enough to have its own self generating micro-climate.

Although I spent as little time as absolutely possible inside building 500 (the HQ building, with its under-the-front-lawn underground bunker), and have absolutely no idea if or how it still may or may not fit into the overall nuclear surety scheme currently in place, the reasons the location was selected in the first place, well, they were probably good ones at the time, but they’re not likely to be ‘deal makers/breakers’ at this point. C2 facilities can be relocated. The aircraft can be home-based elsewhere (which the ground crews would probably appreciate – being, much less working, on an Offutt flightline in January, in sub-zero cold, with anything more than a breath of wind, really, really SUCKS, aside from being hell on the equipment), and in fact carry out the bulk of their operations at forward deployed locations, as they have for decades.

Omaha itself would probably survive the demise of Offutt with only a moderate impact – it is a vibrant enough city to stand on its own without the presence of the Air Force 15 miles south of their city limits. The smaller bedroom communities that serve as the the ‘burbs for both Omaha and Offutt would probably take it in the keister pretty hard, particularly the base’s biggest neighbor, Bellevue. Bellevue would most likely become almost a ghost town as an entity, initially, and would probably be annexed/absorbed by an expanding Omaha metroplex that already shares a common border.

Still, threatening Nelson with putting KOFF (ICAO for Offutt) on the BRAC list is a pretty bullsh*t move, but what does anyone around here really expect from a Chicago Machine politician?

In this case, however, it’s a threat that doesn’t really assault our military readiness or capabilities directly, unlike some of jug-ear’s other doofus activities.

Wind Rider on December 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM

What’s funny is Hot Air keeps taking the position that any American who believed that this nit wit Marxist Liar of a Messiah couldn’t possibly LIE about being born in America. Really? When he “deals” American Security and Strategic Air Command Base closures like he’s dealing crack on the South Side of Chi Town? This guy would do, say, and plan anything. Anything. Lying about where he was born is of no importance to him – he’s a total creep! Got that Hot Air!!

Cinday Blackburn on December 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM

This is evil.

ladyingray on December 15, 2009 at 5:47 PM

White House using base-closure process to extort Nelson’s vote on ObamaCare?

Another jewel from our Commander Extortionist in Chief.

Johan Klaus on December 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM

tommer74 on December 15, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Whether a military site has or doesn’t have nuclear arms is not generally public knowledge. And lack of aircraft suitable for deliver doesn’t mean they don’t have them.

katiejane on December 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Offutt Air Force Base. This is most likely the location for the president and his cabinet if DC is ever threatened with an attack. Most recently used by Bush in 2001.

Seems appropriate that BO’s minions would use it as a extortion ploy to get Ben Nelson’s vote. They don’t give a flying piece of cow dung for anything military. Nebraskans will rise up over political heavy handedness.

jbh45 on December 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM

katiejane on December 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM

um, not to get in a pissing match but usually they keep the weapons at the same base as the aircraft. And at offutt there is only recon & command and control aircraft stationed there. Please see Wind Rider’s comments above

tommer74 on December 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

The Democratic Party is now officially the party of extortion. I will now exhort all my democrapic friends to consider what they are supporting…and I may have to give up some friendships by the time the smoke clears…
This is a shot across the bow…

lovingmyUSA on December 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

It might be time to offer Nelson a chance to switch parties.

elduende on December 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM

tommer74 on December 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

No pissing contest – just my opinions but I wonder if the local Navy site that has no aircraft or ships knows that?

katiejane on December 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM

All that will become of this is Gibbs will deny it, Nelson will deny it, Nelson will support the bill, and anything else will be blamed on crazy right wing blogs, and Bush.

cntrlfrk on December 15, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I have worked in HQ SAC since 1980. I am a senior enterprise architect and am well aware of USSTRATCOM’s importance in the defense of the US. First and foremost, I believe this is a veil threat. The complications of losing USSTRATCOM would be crippling to a vital part of the DoD mission and to the President of the United States. It would be contrary to significant Executive level and DoD governance. This being said, I believe that this rouge Dem leadership is so vain, that they would try this ploy to try to keep Nelson in line. However, they will find that saying they will close it, is a lot easier than closing it.

Passionate-Conservative on December 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM

If Nelson has any balls he will tell Bozo to go to hell. Bozo is a bully and a punk. I guess there aren’t any men left in DC.

I just read that Burris announced he’s voting no on the bill and some others will as well because Reid yanked the public option. The personal mandate is still in there though, to the tune of $15,200 per family.

dogsoldier on December 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Redstate: A Defense of Erick’s Endorsement of Rand Paul

ps- Rand Paul’s money bomb is tomorrow.

Spathi on December 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM

He will do anything to get his health care passed. If he doesn’t, he fails on his main objective of being president.

Since 1944 the communist/socialist have been saying the the only way to move America into socialism was through health care, pointing out how hard it would be for a citizen to let someone die because they could not get health care. Frank Davis probably drilled that into Obama’s head over and over. Obama is a socialist. Health care is the foundation he must have to push his other socialist changes. He only needs anything called health care to pass. Once that is done, it will be easy to restore what ever was taken out to get it passed. With its ability to reach into every corner of goverment and the peoples lives, it will be difficult if not impossible to kill it. He knows that and if he does not get it, he will not get another chance.

Franklyn on December 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Gangsters. But then, who’s surprised.

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Jimbo3 as you probably have noticed, there are quite a few proud Nebraska posters here at HotAir. Your remark was not appreciated!

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM

JIMBO,, why are you treating this like a civil war? On abortion issues you claim to be the big Christian that is for abortion and how you trust Christ in all of your cares which you are suppose to do. Why is some man made act so important to you? Your concern should be saving souls instead of worrying about politics. See you at the next abortion story.

garydt on December 15, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Too bad this can’t be proved since it amounts to criminal threatening as well as extortion. Even if it isn’t true there will be those who’ll be sure it is. Folks from Neb.,remember this when you walk into the voting booths in 2010. I know I will and I’m not a Nebraskan.

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM

“Move over, Mary.” Landrieu is a piker compared to this guy. Just proves that dear leader doesn’t care a crap about the military or the security of the country.

Kissmygrits on December 15, 2009 at 7:21 PM

jimbo, I didn’t word that right you are one of the few guys I know who claim to be a Christian and still be pro abortion. You seem to like abortion on both sides of birth, nuking the ones in Nebraska and the ones in the womb. I don’t believe you are joking on the “nukeing Nebraska” anyway.

garydt on December 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Ben Nelson will be voted out and there are already some groups working on it for 2012. We’d sure take your vote if you lived here. ( :

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM

When are these Senators going to stand up and show some backbone? These pussies keep getting pushed and shoved around, arm twisted and extorted for votes, then demand bribes on the other end once they get them. Don’t vote for my bill–lose your bases—conversely–vote for my bill, and I’ll give you $300 million.

Tyranny. This is not what Mr. Jefferson and Mr. Adams fought for….

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM

So, the military is not only a photo op, but now a poker chip to be traded away for political purposes. The hell if we have the money to move STRATCOM somewhere else… where the hell else is it cheaper to house a military base than in Nebraska. California–no, Florida–no, Nebraska is likely a bargain, but this administration would do it as a personal vendetta against Nebraskans for standing up and making their voices heard to Ben Nelson.

Tyrant.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Do you live close to where the new Gitmo is going to be located?

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Do you live close to where the new Gitmo is going to be located?

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM

No, *will you kiss me?*

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM

No, *will you kiss me?*

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM

lolz

artist on December 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM

The Great Uniter strikes again.

Scrappy on December 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Ted I thought you lived in Iowa….sorry. My relatives lived in Iowa and won’t too far from the prison.

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Ohhhh–yeah, I’m from Iowa, don’t live there any longer. Sorry for the shocka. I can only assume that this Thomasville place is somewhere near eastern Iowa.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:41 PM

all my relatives still live in Iowa, mostly Cedar Rapids and Iowa City area.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM

I was at Offutt for 1.5 years, most of that down in the Command Center, and I was also not a member of SAC, Wind Rider. I was in the WSU, which is MAC.

I’ll be honest with you. I don’t think that Obama has the pull to close Offutt. If it was for a good reason, he might be able to line up enough support for it to actually get it done, but I’m not betting on that either. As it is, as petty extortion, I don’t think so. I don’t really think any president could.

Immolate on December 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:41 PM

It looked like it was close to Clinton.
* *?
Hey, at least I’m a female…..well, the last time I checked I was.

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

The sour smell of desperation seems to have permeated the oval office. Part of me hopes it’s not true since it’s a new low even for this administration and leaves me sick to my stomach.

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

check again tomorrow… you never know what could happen! :)

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

At least the O can’t use that one on Snowe and Collins. Our two bases (sac base in Limestone and Navy base in Brunswick) already got shut down. Thousands of jobs at each one gone.

aceinstall on December 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Out of the 60 dems not one honest person .No honer no belief in the people of this country just in it for there own damn self.I will tell you the day will come when these traders will be held to account for what they have done to this country.Revolution is coming very soon!!!

thmcbb on December 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I’ll have my husband check that one out first thing in the morning.( :

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Imagine the idea of closing a base, putting hundreds(perhaps thousands) whose livlihood centers around the base out of work not to mention the expense of re-locating everything and everybody just to list the primary fall out. They’d do this for politics? They’d do this for spite? They’d do this just to get their own way? What kind of folks have we got in that WH? And, if our elected officials cave in and are for purchase like Landrieu—then what kind of folks have we got in DC? I’m not sure whether to get angry or just cry!!!

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM

I’m from Bellevue, Nebraska, and spent ten years of my life living no more than a couple miles from Offutt. This threat has to be a bluff; the base’s roots go too deep here to be uprooted over something this trivial. It is very much the livelihood of this community, and if taken away, this town of 50,000–and smaller towns around it–would be nearly destroyed. This town is what it is because of Offutt. At least half the town has direct connections to the base, whether they’re active duty, retired military, or civilian workers on the base. My own family would be directly affected: my father works at USSTRATCOM, and my mother is a teacher in the Bellevue Public Schools district, which receives a substantial amount of federal impact aid due to the base’s presence. In their own neighborhood, every single one of their neighbors would lose their job.

On top of that, Offutt is one of the largest employer in the entire state of Nebraska–if not the largest! Washington would be insane to even think of trying this, especially with unemployment the way that it is.

KellyBomelly on December 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM

This is how this administration works–either they’ll pull something you need out of your state (a base), or they’ll conversely put a hot, steaming pile of sh!t there as a means to piss people off. Case in point, KSM trial–didn’t tell the governor, the mayor, or the NYPD. Second, threatening to pull stimulus funds from AZ because SEN Kyl pissed them off. Third, Gitmo in Illinois.

Piles.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM

KellyBomelly on December 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Above there’s poster from Maine about the bases up there. We spend a fair amount of time in Maine since we own property up there and I recall the terrible toll the closing of Loring in Limestone took on the County. If this threat is real…well, I’m having a hard time believing that it could be!!!It’s just that nasty.

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Its pretty sad when our leader is willing to significantly weaken our national security for the sake of a political gain.

JeffVader on December 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

JeffVader on December 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Sad? Yes, definitely sad, but completely revealing. Revealing insofar as it demonstrates priorities. Politics take priority over security and this threat–even if it were empty–clearly reveals that the administration would be willing to uproot SAC to fulfill a Gotti-like vendetta. Second, the KSM trial demonstrates the exact same thing. Politics over security and common sense.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM

And except for Susan and Olympia–Maine continues to vote Democratic…much like poor little damaged RI. Do these people not understand cause and effect?

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Cause and effect will be the ensuing revolution as a result of all this crap and the extortion coupled with the POS bill that does nothing to enhance healthcare – The folks here in Nebraska are already gearing up to address the state sovereignty issue — Ben could be such a hero to our state by just standing up to these thugs- they’re really creeping me out big time!!!!!

huskerdiva on December 15, 2009 at 8:53 PM

For me the issue of national safety, while important, is not the main issue. The horror here is the cavalier way the WH and the Hill would trample the folks in Nebraska without a backward glance or a pang of remorse, just to prove how powerful they are. Sold out for ONE vote. If Nebraska can be crushed in the name of Obama’s goals, whose next?

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM

There is no such animal as a Moderate democrat .The next time i hear the people at Fox calling these liberal ,socialist to the core jerks moderate i think i am going to throw up.A moderate is someone like McCain.These people are drunk with power and don,t give a damn what the people want .The only way to stop them short of a full fledged revolution is to throw every last one of these bastards out of office and take there power away and i do mean every last one of them.

thmcbb on December 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Obama seems to be missing something. Carter and Clinton have BOTH tried to use closing the base as a club as leverage, and the response from the people of that district has always been the same…. “DO IT”. It would take the government $300 BILLION to rebuild the Strategic Command anywhere else, and the people of the district will get the Electrical and Communications grids the Federal Government has built to support the command.

Apparently, companies such as Volkswagon have already inquired on occasion on assuming the land for a massive new production facility that would employ 10X as many people as the Air Force currently does……

Scubafreak on December 15, 2009 at 9:14 PM

And fellow conservative friends of mine wonder why I don’t think “obama doesn’t agree with us, but I still believe he wants what is best”

TTheoLogan on December 15, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Extortion and bribery. It’s the Chicago way.

TN Mom on December 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Revolution is coming very soon!!!

thmcbb on December 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Oh goody! I will be sure to set my DVR!

simplesimon on December 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM

(simplesimon) If this health care bill and cap and trade pass you will be very lucky to have 2 sticks to rub together in your 1 room shack much less a DVR and if you had one there would be no place to plug it in.Wait a min. you could plug it in your green energy windmill .

thmcbb on December 15, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Oh goody! I will be sure to set my DVR!

simplesimon on December 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Be sure to catch the plethora of crackdowns that will be announced on the news for the rest of us after the revolutionists are smart-bombed/machinegunned/bombarded into chunky salsa. We’ll want to be able to show future generations exactly why there’s now a national curfew, soldiers are doorcrashing American homes and businesses looking for arms and fighters, and the “Patriot Act” has been expanded sevenfold.

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM

–My neighbor (and good friend) is a native Cornhusker as well. Some year I need to understand what Cornhuskers have to be so proud of. At least in the 70s and early 80s, they (usually) had a great college football team.

–And by the way, Republican Presidents also close bases, with political reasons being part of the criteria. If I remember correctly, a majority of the bases that Bush closed upon recommendation of a commission were located in Democratic states like NJ, Michigan and Illinois.

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Putting socialism above national security…. I am so mad, I gotta be careful what I say. So I’ll just leave it at that.

WannabeAnglican on December 15, 2009 at 10:53 PM

dogsoldier on December 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Wow….the return of the “debtors prison”. How progressive!

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Yeah……Bush thought that allllll up by himself and did it. I seem to remember he went over to the BRAC commission personally and threatened them at gunpoint to close only bases in Dem districts. It was in all the papers….

98ZJUSMC on December 15, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I’m not a native Nebraskan and not really into college football, but the majority of the state is and they are some of the most devoted fans I’ve ever seen in the three states that I have lived in.

I realize Presidents from both parties close military bases down because of cost but my problems is from the quote below.

Closing Offutt because Ben Nelson won’t toe the line is pretty sad and I think you would share the same thought if this was your state and your Senator.

By the way, you’ve got pretty good taste in friends.

yoda on December 15, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Central Command is not required if you give up all of your nukes unilaterally (Nobel appease pries).

AZCON on December 15, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Were you in a coma in the 90s?

KellyBomelly on December 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Sorry, Jimbo, but you must be a newbie at trolling, and a slow one at that.

Simply referring to Bush as closing bases in blue states has absolutely nothing to do with Obama blackmailing a U.S. Senator.

Embrace education, or you will quickly end up in the same situation as the rest of the trolls around here.

Huskers.

cntrlfrk on December 16, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I can think of no other politician in the history of the U.S. that would make such a threat…I truly believe that following through with that threat would start a nation wide campaign to force Obama to resign. He would show that he is incapable of being an effective commander in chief…what a disgraceful threat, I am ashamed that he is our president…words can’t describe my feeling of disgust with this simple minded fool.
I gag at having to ever state that he is any kind of president…he is a two bit street thug…

right2bright on December 16, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 10:22 PM

A Defense Department plan to close hundreds of facilities that it says are obsolete has infuriated prominent Republican lawmakers

Jimbo, you are not to bright…he kept bases in Virginia, Ca open, and closed and downsized bases in Texas…Texas, hardly a stronghold for dems.
President Bush closed one facilities in Michigan, two in New Jersey, six in Illinois, but increased two in size for a net loss of about 600 jobs total.
Alaska and Texas combined lost more then most…of the 26,000 jobs lost, they lost 10,000.
You weren’t even close…so now you will post that you were wrong and you apologize for presenting false information.
Right…I doubt it…but we will see.
Here then click on continued reading and you will get an excel spreadsheet detailing the closings…it is apparent you have no idea what you are posting…either out of ignorance or you were just plain telling a lie.

right2bright on December 16, 2009 at 1:06 AM

This is truly despicable. Shame on Obama.

capitalist piglet on December 16, 2009 at 1:39 AM

This is truly despicable. Shame on Obama.

capitalist piglet on December 16, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Well, he said he would be transparent.

vicarious on December 16, 2009 at 3:17 AM

I have been reading up on the roots of the term, “high crimes and misdemeanors,” and I believe that if it were shown that Obama was using the closing of an important military base to blackmail a Senator to advance a bill that did not have anything to do with national security (read: Health Care Bill), that that is CLEARLY an impeachable offense.

I am beginning to think that our energies might be well spent in collating impeachable offenses and really bringing the pressure by organizing them like a sharp spear that Obama can’t ignore – so that he’ll knock off the B.S.

The downside is that he might spaz out and outlaw the Republican Party or legalize all illegals by executive order or something dumb like that.

cane_loader on December 16, 2009 at 3:28 AM

BRAC decisions are supposed to be independent of political influence, but even if Barry has the juice to get the base on the list, that doesn’t mean the commission would select it for closure, especially if a cheaper alternative for its mission were not readily available.
`
If it were true that Obama threatened Nelson with the loss of Offutt to obtain his vote, it would constitute bribery under federal law, an impeachable offense.
`

Adjoran on December 16, 2009 at 4:16 AM

My take on Obamacare: (Think, used car lot)

And for you (because I like you) Mister (potential) Customer: These are your benefits: You get to pay up front for four or five years before you actually get to use this pre-owned clunker. (Ignore that hammer and sickle emblem on the door – we’ll cover that up as we usually do) After you finish paying, you still don’t own the car because the government holds the title papers, always will…what’s that? You say you can’t drive it because it’s unsafe…keeps pulling to the left? That just feels that way because of the slant in the…er…government roads. Say, you look a tad old…62 you say? I’d not worry, this car has a special side panel to take good care of older drivers with a marvelous bit of technology -it actually has a sick sensor in it and if you start to get sick, it ejects you completely and you won’t even have to finish those perpetually rising payments. Would you care to see our sale rates on headstones?

Now, if you know any friends or relatives that need a clunker, I could knock off a few bucks or even give you a steering wheel to go with it…

Don L on December 16, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Wind Rider on December 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Thanks for that.

maverick muse on December 16, 2009 at 6:41 AM

If Obama is making a threat, you can bet that he’s already planned to close the base. Giving Obama what he wants won’t stop the base from being closed. Nelson won’t be saving the base from closure by caving in to Obama’s threat.

Obama depends on suckers.

maverick muse on December 16, 2009 at 6:44 AM

maverick muse on December 16, 2009 at 6:44 AM

you are right on that point…

cmsinaz on December 16, 2009 at 7:23 AM

How galactically stupid to make such an idle threat. Apparently the Messiah doesn’t understand BRAC, nor has he heard of Congressional involvement in base closures. Obama can propose any base he wants for BRAC, but the BRAC Commission comes up with what’s going to be closed and what’s gonna stay open. I can hear them now saying in response to such an Obama proposal, “Are you E’ffing kidding me? No Way!” Hell, by making such a threat that can’t be backed up, the Messiah has probably assured Offut will stay open forever.

olesparkie on December 16, 2009 at 7:51 AM

Maybe Senator Arlen Spector (D-PA) should threaten withdrawing support for the bill unless Obama re-opens the Philadelphia Navy Shipyard? How about threatening support withdrawal unless NAS Willow Grove is kept open? Hell, why not ask for the Frankford Arsenal as well?

olesparkie on December 16, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Rand Paul Tea party money bomb today!

Spathi on December 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Ok, I forgot about the Cornhusker’s wins in the mid 90s and it does look like a majority of the bases closed were in Blue states. My apologizies. I did say I was working from memory.

Jimbo3 on December 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Sen. Nelson it,s one thing to lie to the people in your state and the rest of the American people.But you sir made a promise to all the unborn children that you (WOULD NOT SUPPORT A BILL THAT DID NOT HAVE A PROVISION ) that no taxpayer money could used for an abortion . Your word is no good how can you ever be trusted again on anything.

thmcbb on December 16, 2009 at 9:28 AM

RandPaulGraphs graphs Rand’s Tea Party. He’s raised about 50 thousand so far. That’s pretty good.

Spathi on December 16, 2009 at 9:28 AM

journeyintothewhirlwind on December 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM

OK… just to clarify… I believe that military spending is necessary and I have no problem with either bases or the businesses that grow around them (I live in NC, ’nuff said)… but the point was secondary… that is… I support military bases because they are necessary (especially THAT one)… I don’t support them for the sake of creating an economy where one did not exist. That is not the role of the government nor the military.

mankai on December 16, 2009 at 9:32 AM

garydt on December 15, 2009 at 7:16 PM

This caught my eye. A Christian supporting abortion – contradiction in terms if ever there was one.

I recommend some thought on that, senor Jimbo. The right to terminate the existence of a child at any time was not included in any of God’s ideas for mankind that I remember in the Bible.

Actually, Matthew 7:23 says something along the lines of “I will say to them, I never knew you – depart from me, you who practice lawlessness.”

It doesn’t get much more lawless than supporting infanticide.

KinleyArdal on December 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Hey here\’s notion for you all to chew on. Is Bozo putting this threat out there to giver Nelson COVER to allow him to vote yes and blame Bozo (due to the threat)?

dogsoldier on December 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM

It doesn’t get much more lawless than supporting infanticide.

KinleyArdal on December 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM

–I’ve explained my reasons last week–with cites to an Old Testament verse–if you’re interested. I do believe the Bible says a fetus is not the equivalent of a human being in God’s eyes.\

–And yoda, I do think highly of my ex-Nebraska friend. But I don’t think what Obama is doing is any different than things other presidents have done in the past to get measures passed.

Jimbo3 on December 16, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Nelson has enough on them to bring them down if he tells all. It depends on how much personal integrity he truly has. Whoever does the right thing here is doing God’s work. Heaven help us.

Nalea on December 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM

and they’re willing to damage national security to extort his support.

Our national security depends on passing Obamacare before Christmas Winter Holiday.

petefrt on December 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Arrogance and self aggrandizement has become a hallmark not only of lefty pols but some of those on the right. I was reading on Drudge this AM about Schumer’s behavior on the NY to DC shuttle where he argued with the flight attendant and eventually called her a b—h behind her back. He is typical of all of them. He’s above the rules and the mores of the rest of us, including common courtesy. Time to teach these pols a lesson and remind them that they work for us. They seem to have forgotten.

jeanie on December 16, 2009 at 1:30 PM