White House using base-closure process to extort Nelson’s vote on ObamaCare?

posted at 1:36 pm on December 15, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

How desperate has the White House become to get anything passed under the name of health-care reform?  According to Michael Goldfarb’s source on Capitol Hill, the Obama administration has targeted the last remaining Democratic holdout, at least among moderates — and they’re willing to damage national security to extort his support.  The White House has threatened Ben Nelson (D-NE) with the closure of Offutt Air Force Base in Nebraska if he opposes Reid’s latest version, despite its status as the headquarters of US Strategic Command:

According to a Senate aide, the White House is now threatening to put Nebraska’s Offutt Air Force Base on the BRAC list if Nelson doesn’t fall into line.

Offutt Air Force Base employs some 10,000 military and federal employees in Southeastern Nebraska. As our source put it, this is a “naked effort by Rahm Emanuel and the White House to extort Nelson’s vote.” They are “threatening to close a base vital to national security for what?” asked the Senate staffer.

Indeed, Offutt is the headquarters for US Strategic Command, the successor to Strategic Air Command, and not by accident. STRATCOM was located in the middle of the country for strategic reasons. Its closure would be a massive blow to the economy of the state of Nebraska, but it would also be another example of this administration playing politics with our national security.

The Obama administration has little left to use for leverage.  Why not national security?  After all, if we’re going to bring terrorists into Illinois, what does it matter if we put the US Strategic Command on wheels for a few years?

One reason for the extortion attempt is that the latest version still hasn’t won any converts among the GOP.  Susan Collins (R-ME), once considered a likely supporter of ObamaCare, announced today that the elimination of the public option and the Medicare buy-in isn’t enough to rescue the bill:

Today Collins told reporters that the bill under consideration in the Senate is “too deeply flawed for me to support it.”

“I don’t see voting for the current bill that is on the floor, even with the improvements that have been made,” Collins said. “I’m very leery of the impact of nearly $500 billion in Medicare cuts, particularly the cuts in home health care, which are completely counterproductive to the goal of lowering costs.”

Collins explained that she is continuing to work on the bill not because she intends to vote for it but because, “I think something is going to pass, and I would like to make that bill as good as possible, even if ultimately it’s not a bill that I can support.”

Collins’ colleague from Maine, Olympia Snowe, is not likely to contradict her, and no other Republicans will cast a vote for this monstrosity.  Without the language prohibiting abortion funding, Nelson’s not likely to go for it, either, which leaves Reid at 59 votes — maybe.  He may face some rebellion from the progressive side of his caucus, several of whom pledged not to vote for a bill without any kind of public option.  Getting Lieberman on board may wind up creating just another problem for Reid … unless the White House intends on threatening more base closures and disruption for national security.

Update: Matt Lewis reported this first on his Twitter feed, apparently with a source other than Michael’s.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Closing Offutt is a pure bluff.

NO WAY the military would allow that much upheaval to such a central resource during active military conditions.

No. Way.

sultanp on December 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM

People need to send this story to Drudge. More people need to hear about it.

tetriskid on December 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM

This is downright shameful! Stong arm tacits right out in the open. What a ‘tool’ that Obama dud is. No moral leadership here…..grade given him by me for this is a full F…a solid F too!

Stand by your elected man, Nelson, NE folks!

Muskoka-Eh on December 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM

This just goes to show how tenuous this whole deal still is. Even after the command performance at the royal court, the Dems are not willing to spread rose petals and worship Obamacare. They know that they are being compelled to take one for the team. And by team I mean to corrupt radical socialist coward in the White House.

Oh! And BTW trolls like old Jimbo can go to hell.

highhopes on December 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Hey, let the bastards close the base! Can Barry guess what color the state will turn into? And it ain’t BLUE.

GarandFan on December 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Say, what IS an offense that gets the ban-hammer around here??

Allah, when someone says to nuke a city, especially an American one, is that not over the line??

Who is this Jimbo3 jacka$$?

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Nelson . . . if you have any character and courage at all you won’t give in to that shyster, Obama.

rplat on December 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM

kfisch on December 15, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Great story… I remember those days… and the change in mindset when we no longer feared the Bear…

Kinda like the end of WW1, the war to end all wars… or was that WWII…

Eternal vigilance is the only way to peace… but we seem to have to relearn that lesson every generation.

Romeo13 on December 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM

If you think about it, it’s really a disaster for the administration.

They have threatened.

They are probably not going to be able to ultimately deliver on threat.

They have thus made themselves hated, as well as seemingly weak, both at the same time. Never do that. Never. It is what leads to downfalls.

These are not good politicians. Been carried by the media too long.

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Or Ed…sorry… Someone in charge needs to pay attention.

Comments like that idiot’s are what get repeated in the media as example of why sites like this are bad, no??

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Say, what IS an offense that gets the ban-hammer around here??

Who is this Jimbo3 jacka$$?

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM

–Right. I’m kidding (clearly) and Ronin and others are treatening to kill commenters and the President and they’re not getting banned.

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I don’t know if the Whitehouse can close Offut but I’d bet Offut can close the Whitehouse!

dhunter on December 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Nelson had to LOL when he heard that.
He might have actually ROFLMAO’d.

rollthedice on December 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM

When does Nelson get the dead fish?

d1carter on December 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM

mankai on December 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Then isn’t every city based on a false economy? If Motorola moves out of Schaumburg because they might start property taxes- it will get ugly.

If Frito Lay moves out of a town, or Outboard Motor, or Chevy, or GM moves out of a town, or American moves its home out of Minneapolis, or, or , or.

journeyintothewhirlwind on December 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

What is the point of BRAC if the white house can just decide to close a base without the approval of the commission?

The Congress established the 2005 BRAC Commission to ensure the integrity of the base closure and realignment process. As directed by law, the Commission will provide an objective, non-partisan, and independent review and analysis of the list of military installation recommendations issued by the Department of Defense (DoD) on May 13, 2005. The recommendations provided by DoD are extremely complex and interrelated and will require in-depth analysis and careful attention to detail. The Commission will follow a fair, open, and equitable process, as set forth by statute. The Commission’s mission is to assess whether the DoD recommendations substantially deviated from the Congressional criteria used to evaluate each military base. While giving priority to the criteria of military value, the Commission will also take into account the human impact of the base closures and will consider the possible economic, environmental, and other effects on the surrounding communities.

fourdeucer on December 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Hon, there isn’t any “clearly” about it. There was no sarc tag, no indicator that these were jokes.

As to “Ronin and others”, I’ve not seen these threats and if I did, I’d be hollerin’ just as loudly.

No need for the martyr ploy. If you’re joking, you’d better be more clear.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Actually, ol’ Jimbo, you seemed pretty serious, but it matters not. I think you failed in the aim you had. Enjoy your day.

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Hey Jimbo3…how about we nuke your dumb a** now?

People like you amaze me with your stupidity.

Gothguy on December 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I don’t believe the administration could add Offutt to the list of bases currently on the 2005 BRAC list even if they wanted. The BRAC process is a case of no additions/no deletions once it is signed into law. If they were to open the door on that list now they would face challenges from other sites based on changes. I don’t know when/if the next review is scheduled but hopefully Obama and his coven won’t be around then.

katiejane on December 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM

They took a granite contract from a local company here that was going to be used in the 9/11 memorial. They sent the contract to a company in Italy because Virginia Fox was the rep. We don’t really like Fox down here anyway. . . but this is how this administration rolls. . . Chicago politics.

It should be shameful. . . but I don’t know that this country has a shame button.

ThackerAgency on December 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM

When does Nelson get the dead fish?

d1carter on December 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Fredo! Don’t go fishing!

Oink on December 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM

dhunter on December 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Really? Care to take a bet on which gets closed first?

Hey Obama Bin Lyin, have a great big FU from a resident of beautiful Nebraska. You really are a product of the s***ty city you grew up in.

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM

C-SPAN is showing Lieberman and Collins as they try to explain that they are holding out for the best health-care bill.

Collins will basically vote for any bill–even more so if its written by Democrats.

Lieberman is almost as enamored of himself as Obama is of himself. He is only worried about himself here and wants it to be known that he played a role, regardless of what the role was. In the end, he is a Liberal and will vote with the Liberals.

ConservativeTony on December 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Hey Jimbo3…how about we nuke your dumb a** now?

People like you amaze me with your stupidity.

Gothguy on December 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Now, I really gotta love a commenter called “Gothguy” – no joke – as a closet goth, myself. But don’t you think suggesting nuking him is just as bad as what he said?

Just sayin’:)
-Tickleddragon

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Destroy thousands of real jobs and substantially weaken our national security, just so Obama can say that he passed a historic bill (that will destroy our economy). What a nightmare!

LASue on December 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM

B+ is the new F-

JonPrichard on December 15, 2009 at 2:45 PM

katiejane on December 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Basically, they would have to lean on SecDef to get Offutt on the initial list of bases for the BRAC commission to look at, then they would have to “pressure” (behind the scenes) the BRAC commissioners to keep Offutt on the list, then they would have to get some kind of squeeze going in the Congress to get the list approved.

As a practical matter, they would need to stack the BRAC deck with friendly commissioners beforehand, or change the BRAC process, and now that this is out in the open, neither is likely.

So basically, it’s an empty threat and a self-inflicted shooting in the foot at the same time. Bravo.

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 2:46 PM

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 2:39 PM

No, no. Defense against aggression is part of just war theory. No equivalence.

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Just when you thought the Obama Administration could not get any lower…..

portlandon on December 15, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Why on Earth did you think that? What evidence is there that they are close to “bottoming out” on the moral outrage scale?

jwolf on December 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I was under the impression that once the BRAC list was finalized, there couldn’t be any changes – i.e. adding or deleting by either Congress or the President.

At least that’s how the past two or three BRACs have gone.

iamsaved on December 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I can’t believe a Big Red Cornhusker would knuckle under to such an obvious extortion attempt, without any real teeth, especially when its coming from a Chitown punk!

Buck up Nelson, tell the Extortion Party to fly a kite or be retired by your constituents.

dhunter on December 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Nelson: ‘I’m not on the bill’
The White House meeting Tuesday between President Barack Obama and Senate Democrats has raised expectations that they have nailed down 60 votes for the health care bill.

But as he prepared to leave for the White House with other senators, Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) told POLITICO the deal wasn’t done.

“I’m not on the bill,” said Nelson, who spoke with Obama earlier Tuesday. “I have spoken with the president and he knows they are not wrapped up today. I think everybody understands they are not wrapped up today and that impression will not be given.”

Obama is scheduled to make a statement after the meeting, which is expected to last more than an hour.

Nelson said he still has concerns about the abortion language, as well as other issues.

Schadenfreude on December 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 2:46 PM

The last approved BRAC dates from 2005. Some of the base closures from that “exercise” still haven’t shut down.

As I said – don’t know if another one is in process but it would be a long and ugly attle to force feed a base onto the list and as you said – now that this is out in the open it would be very hard.

katiejane on December 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

No, no. Defense against aggression is part of just war theory. No equivalence.

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Understood, except we’re in the Comments section of HotAir, not in a war currently. Tho. I get your point.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I’m in favor of whatever it takes to get this bill passed. Hell, I’d be in favor of nuking Omaha and Offutt if Nelson doesn’t cave. (emphasis added)

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I admire your zealous dedication to improving the nation’s health.

jwolf on December 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM

It isn’t necessary to threaten senators. All the administration has to do is put together a bipartisan bill, pass it, declare victory and go on with the next three years. Busting chops is just plain dumb at this stage. Dumber than dumb.

MTF on December 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM

No need for the martyr ploy. If you’re joking, you’d better be more clear.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I knew he was kidding and I still find his post disturbing. I’m doubting he knows what will even happen when/if this bill goes through, but keeps on with his personal obsession with universal healthcare in his own little unicornland.
And anyone who threatens to kill the president should be banned on here. So should simplesimon for insulting a soldier. Welcome_Ghosts was banned for the same thing. But then again we don’t decide who gets banned.

NathanG on December 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Wow if the WH is threatning this it’s unbelieveable. Now the troops are pawns in this unconstitutional piece of shit. I just don’t know what to say. FUBO FUBO. The troops have nothing to do with this. Leave the Military out of it. You @$$holes up in Washington DC.

But wait you won’t hear this in the MSM. This needs to be pushed out there so people can hear about this. This is pure BS.

Brat4life on December 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM

This was leaked by Democrats to embarrass Democrats.

The bullets are flying in the Democrat circular firing squad.

pedestrian on December 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Excellent point.

jhffmn on December 15, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I don’t see any of those examples as direct threats. If you do, you need some help.

What you quote there are not threats. What you quote there are statements that if this turns to a civil war – which it might – this is what would happen.

It’s a little different from saying “nuke nebraska”. Even you can’t honestly compare the two.

Now, as I said, if I saw something like “nuke XY” , I’d be saying the same thing to them as I’m saying to you.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:01 PM

NathanG on December 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM

No, we don’t get to decide. However, if saying “nuke xy” doesn’t get you a stern talking to, and merely insulting someone does (even a soldier – tho I love them)…the rules aren’t getting applied consistently.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM

You know what… I drop my argument. Idiot statements just show us where idiots are.

Nevermind.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:06 PM

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM

I agree. Too bad we don’t get to decide, or Grow Fins and Simplesimon would go bye-bye.

NathanG on December 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Thanks Romeo13. Whenever someone asked me for which group I worked, there was always a snicker. “Penetration Analysis”

kfisch on December 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM

This is one of the most despicable political tactics I’ve ever heard of.

CP on December 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Well, Jimbo3, then it appears an irrepressible conflict is in the offing, doesn’t it? Too bad-the Republic did show such promise once.

Say, how do you propose we stop it? I mean, you just proposed to nuke a state, so you aren’t going to be able to claim a particular moral high ground about abhorrence to resorts to violence here. At least, I would think not. Claude Rains, maybe. You, not so much…

So the question stands–how are you going to stop what I think actually is a process in the making? And with this consideration–with passions like these, cheap political tricks performed by one’s media accomplices do not often change the temper of men’s hearts–but merely make them angrier. I think a phrase about the tired dogmas of the past being inadequate to the present comes to mind…

So, yep, we seem to have a problem on our hands, don’t we? Oh, well. Good luck seeing if the “politics of personal destruction” in any way, shape, or form solves it. I don’t think it will, so perhaps another solution is going to have to be found. But then, what do I know?

But I strangely feel that if we are moving to Civil War, which we very well might be, them most, if not all, of the likely attempts by the Left to keep it from happening will probably make it happen. But once again, what do I know? But, on the off chance I’m right, perhaps another way should be found. And I really doubt threats to monkey with national security because one has to ram down a bill most of America does not want are part of that way, but once again, I am a somewhat simple man and not a sophisticate of Washingtonian wisdom. So, once again, what do I know?

Oh, as a final note. There is no search engine on this site for reader comments. You or someone you are in collaboration with have been stockpiling them, most likely with attempts at “politics of personal destruction” in view against some target at some appropriate time.

And once again, good luck in thinking that is going to solve the problem, because it won’t. But it may make it worse.

Have a nice day.

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Every Senator should stand with Nelson. They may not agree with his stand, but penalizing him for making it weakens all Senators. Congress has the power to make laws, not the White House.

4of8 on December 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I just tweeted a message to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Admiral Mike Mullen, about this asking him to tell the president that, if true, this sort of thing is inappropriate. Admiral Mullen’s account is twitter.com/thejointstaff

paxlibertas on December 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM

–That looks like a direct threat to me, tickledragon.

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:06 PM

It’s incendiary. There. Does that make you happy that I personally chide Ronin? Bad, Bad Ronin.

As I said, tho. I’m dropping the argument.

You go ahead and say nuke whoever you want. It’s pointless and stupid and everyone will go on assuming the person saying it is an idiot.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Don’t worry guys, the MSM is hot on the trail of real news. CBS hot topics include gay marriage in WDC, Arnold disses Palin on Climate, and so on.

Extortion? They’re not aware of it…go back to sleep

r keller on December 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Dear Leader is on TV again(surprise). His chin is getting higher and higher…he thinks he has won. Sounds as if he is whipping another boogeyman.

d1carter on December 15, 2009 at 3:17 PM

NathanG on December 15, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Funnily enough, I don’t want the power of the ban-hammer. I believe we should be able to say anything we want. But I also rely on the human ability to reason out what is best said and what is not. That’s asking too much for some, I realize.

But something about seeing the words “nuke nebraska” made me sit up and wonder who’s watching the store. Maybe it was just an emotional reaction… And I take responsibility for that reaction.

Seeing quotes about what would happen if the civil war happens, don’t phase me. Considering, I would be doing the same as patriots before me did to fight for Liberty. So, Ronin Edge talking about killing folks – namely the folks that stand in the way of our Liberty – just doesn’t elicit the same response as an offhanded comment about randomly nuking a state. Call me crazy.

My apologies to Jimbo3 if I don’t see the correlation.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Nelson could have a seat for life from this state if he were to stand up to Obama. He should find the nearest open mic and rip Big Ears to shreds over this threat.

NebCon on December 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Have a nice day.

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 3:11 PM

–Google plus a few key words does a passable job at finding this stuff.

–And I agree with you. I think there is likely to be a Civil War again at some point. Perhaps some form of very relaxed Federalism is the solution.

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Jimbo3, why are you spending so much time quoting others? Do you think that it makes what you said any less offensive?
Take responsibility for yourself, and stop trying to make excuses.

If Ronin or others make incendiary remarks, they should take responsibility, like I’m asking you to do.

Grow up.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM

My apologies to Jimbo3 if I don’t see the correlation.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM

–So you think anyone in the US would seriously consider for a nano-second nuking Omaha/SAIC command simply because Nelson doesn’t vote for this bill? Are you from Nebraska by any chance?

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Perhaps some form of very relaxed Federalism is the solution.

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Now THAT’s a thoughtful statement. I’ll pretend it’s the only one I saw. :)

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Nope. North Carolina. I just thought it was a hugely ridiculous statement. And I didn’t see “sarc” or anything. And yes, I was surprised someone could BE that stupid.

Should I apologize again?

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Should I apologize again?

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

–No apologizes needed. I just didn’t think anyone could think I was serious.

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM

You might want to hope so.

Horatius on December 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM

–No apologizes needed. I just didn’t think anyone could think I was serious.

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Actually if this is just a case of my mistaking a joke for seriousness, I’m sorry. But the launch into quoting others as an argument…threw me off again.

Should I call us square now?

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM

mankai on December 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on December 15, 2009 at 2:35 PM

So are you suggesting that Frito Lay, Motorola, etc. exist because they were created by the government? Taxing one group of citizens to create and sustain them?

mankai on December 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Did folks see that Howard Dean now says Kill the Bill?

Also, was at the Code Red Rally. Maybe 2k+ people there. It was either Coburn or DeMint that said they still don’t think Reid has the votes and were URGING people to go to their district offices, call, etc.

Bachmann is fantastic btw, she really rallied the crowd.

Firefly_76 on December 15, 2009 at 3:41 PM

The gall and extent that this administration to get what they want. They don’t care about this country, all they care about is what they can steal from us

ConservativePartyNow on December 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM

“Look Nelson, you gotta play ball or else, see? I’m gonna’ send Cass and the boys in the poiple shoits ovah for a talk, see? You get da pictuh? Either youh signature or youh brains will be on da Health Care Bill (and da boys will work over your wife so bad she’ll look like Nancy Pelosi) .You jes sign youh name on the dotted line and da boys will make sure da payments come in right on time.”

MaiDee on December 15, 2009 at 3:48 PM

mankai on December 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Not trying to suggest that at all. But I believe most of the major military installations were chosen with care based on military needs at the time they were set up. When people saw that it was going to be a long term deal they were willing to locate there and start businesses taking advantage (not in the negative sense) of military personnel with steady paychecks.

Many businesses do get generous tax breaks to (re)locate or remain in an area so you are being taxed to support and sustain businesses locally or statewide. Again, once people felt that a large employer had made a long term committement to an area they were willing to relocate and start businesses there taking advantage of (again, not in the negative sense) workers with steady paychecks. And while you were taxed to give a business tax breaks, the community had higher employment so you weren’t being taxed to support welfare.

Nothing false about them.

journeyintothewhirlwind on December 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM

–No apologizes needed. I just didn’t think anyone could think I was serious.

Jimbo3 on December 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I didn’t think you were serious. Stupid — yes. Insensitive — yes. Attention-seeking — yes. Sort of like William “Bill” Ayers, circa 1970.

You just can’t be too careful with leftists espousing violence.

trfogey on December 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM

You just can’t be too careful with leftists espousing violence.

trfogey on December 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM

That’s pretty baldfaced hypocrisy, seeing as how only a few minutes on Google turns up enough revolt sentiment on HA make most reasonable people hope that somebody in law enforcement is keeping close tabs on certain posters.

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Will Nelson represent the will of Nebraskan’s or Obama?

tommer74 on December 15, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Um, “revolt sentiment”?? What you refer to as revolt sentiment, to many of us, is validation that we are willing to fight, kill and die for our freedoms under the Constitution.

And sir, that is self-defense.

Hypocrisy, my a$$.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 4:14 PM

And sir, that is self-defense.

tickleddragon on December 15, 2009 at 4:14 PM

‘Self-defense’ in this case would be opening fire on law enforcement (or the military, God forbid!) if they were engaging in obviously unconstitutional activities. The firearms confiscation after Katrina would definitely have qualified.

But what is being proposed is a full-scale ATTACK, unless you happen to think replaying Waco and Ruby Ridge a few dozen times each will accomplish much. And not even the hardcore right is that ignorant. “Civil disobedience” and last stands aren’t going to cut the mustard with the sentiment I’m picking up.

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM

OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!
I double dog dare you!!!!!

Cybergeezer on December 15, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Call their bluff Ben. Make him sign an exord to close Offutt and put egg on his face when he can’t get ‘er done. STRATCOM is a smidge important.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Skin that smoke wagon boy and see where it gits ya!

/tombstone off.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM

This is a bombshell (which the media will naturally ignore) and if Nelson had any balls (which he doesn’t) he’d go public with it. In any case, we have reached the end days of this political culture. It’s finished. Obama was supposed to be the alpha but in fact he’s the omega.

rrpjr on December 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM

First, most reasonable people think that people who plotted to bomb government buildings belongs in jail, not hosting political coming-out parties for ambitious community organizers.

Second, I addressed a specific poster and his specific stupid, insensitive, and attention-seeking remarks. I was not addressing the remarks of any other posters. Since you do not know how I feel about what other posters may or may not have said, accusing me of hypocrisy is simply a projection of your inadequate cognitive processes combined with the involuntary motion of your lower extremity that led to your fingers typing unfounded inanities into the comment box. The a** assumes and you spoke through it — and I am not surprised.

Finally, let me congratulate you for choosing such an appropriate handle for your activities here at Hot Air. Much gaseous mass with little light emitted — a perfect representation of the average Hot Air troll and worthy of a salute for appropriateness, if not originality.

trfogey on December 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM

STRATCOM is a smidge important.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I’m not the sharpest on military matters, can you clarify a bit for us civilians? It sure LOOKS darn important from what my Google-fu has turned up for me…but what precisely will we lose if Obama cripples it by closing Offut?

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Seconded.

But this administration wouldn’t jail that mad bomber unless it was politically expedient…professional courtesy to fellow crooks, you know.

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Glad that I dropped in today. Reminds me of my shopping list:

Magpul butt-stocks
30-60 ammo for hunting rifle…
bury some .223 in the yard and buy a few more rifles…
more MREs

any idea what color the enemies uniforms will be, don’t want to show up at the ball in the same dress, know what I mean?

gotta run now, dig,dig,dig.

rgranger on December 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Ben Nelson????? Ndomakong Suh he ain’t!!

PappaMac on December 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM

…what precisely will we lose if Obama cripples it by closing Offut?

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Strategic Air Command. We can’t just throw it away; barring a sudden revolution in technology it would be essential in any major war. There is no way Obama can simply scrap it. However, he could threaten to move it out of Nebraska — say, hypothetically, to Illinois. I presume that is the real threat being implied to Senator Nelson. I am admittedly skeptical that Obama could actually deliver on such a threat, but making it is certainly consistent with his “I won” governing philosophy.

jwolf on December 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM

gotta run now, dig,dig,dig.

rgranger on December 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Literally?

I once looked into helping dig a backyard bomb shelter for my family, but here in the city there’s so many pipes running just underneath the surface we might as well try to burrow into a bowl of spaghetti. And heaven help you if your shovel cuts the wrong ‘noodle’!

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Back in the day (when real patriots roamed the land), something like this would have forced the Senator to hold a press conference, announce the Obama administrations extortion attempt and resign in protest. Is there not one true patriot left in this country’s political class?

glennbo on December 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM

jwolf on December 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Jumping catfish!

I suppose I should have known that since I’ve been to the SAC museum multiple times. (although not recently)

jwolf on December 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Gotcha. I’m skeptical as well, but only a bit. This would hardly be the first time a ‘disobedient’ governor has been bullied into compliance by threats of financial hardship for his/her state.

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I’m not up on all that goes on at StratCom, but lets just say, Military communications would be wanting.

PappaMac on December 15, 2009 at 4:51 PM

It would take years, literally, to move StratCom out of Nebraska.

PappaMac on December 15, 2009 at 4:52 PM

No. Way.

sultanp on December 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Would they have a choice?

hawksruleva on December 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Pure PAP. I know people that work there and they think it’s folly that Offut would be on the block. It just goes to show you how little this president knows about Strategic command. Where was it that GWB went when 9/11 happened? yep. Ben had to laugh in their face if in fact that news was delivered to him.

Husker_red on December 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM

No. Way.

sultanp on December 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Would they have a choice?

hawksruleva on December 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Of course. They could either follow their foolish, petty, but lawful and valid orders or face severe punishments for not doing so.

That is, after all, the thing most soldiers do best after their primary job of killing people and breaking things, and for those who aren’t usually in combat situations it’s often their best skill. That’s the kind of person that any army worth a rat’s patootey has to have in spades.

Husker_red on December 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM

We’ve got a POTUS who’s chock full of Grade-A folly.

It’s an option. The only question is if he actually has the balls to try it at a moment when his polls are nosediving and the health’care’ bill is on wobbly legs.

Dark-Star on December 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Ed –

You need to do some research before spreading these kinds of rumors.

The current 2005 BRAC list was locked in several years ago and additions cannot be made at this late date. I do not see where Offutt AFB is on the list.

If the White House is making this kind of threat, it just shows how dumb they are.

slp on December 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM

jwolf on December 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Heck, why not put it on the new Gitmo lite facility and have the Achmeds run it for us.

Husker_red on December 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Husker_red on December 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM

You’re a genius! I was just thinkin the same thing. Work release for the terrorists! Wait by your phone for the call from the White House to be in charge of this new gov’t program. More jobs saved or created! They could even use Porkulus money for it.

tims472 on December 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM

The ex-Air Force guys that usually post here are not speaking up for a reason.

They shouldn’t say what the word “Strategic” means.

This is where we have a very large very secure facility with a stockpile of nuclear munitions that can be placed on aircraft.

You can’t just “move” this facility very easily. It would take years if not a decade to build a comparable facility.

barnone on December 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM

We are in big trouble in America when rebuilding what is the greatest nation in the world into a Marxist failure is so easily accomplished -merely by buying one senator for a paltry 300 million and threatening another with a local issue. We are talking the take over of our freedom and hardly a statesman exists to counter the movement. The GOP has set the stage for these shennaigans as well. If there is a free election, I will work to throw them all out! But I doubt it will matter much, as so many have been successfully indoctrinated already.

Don L on December 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM

What sort of recourse do we have for this criminal behavior besides the 2010 elections? By then they will have spent all our money and bought all the votes they need- leaving us powerless and broke.

Seriously, this is serious.

NTWR on December 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM

and they’re willing to damage national security to extort his support.

The Obama administration has little left to use for leverage. Why not national security? After all, if we’re going to bring terrorists into Illinois, what does it matter if we put the US Strategic Command on wheels for a few years?

A few Democrats ought to just tell Obama, unless he leaves them alone they will switch parties and become Republicans. A few smart Democrats may want to look a little further ahead, read the tea leaves or notice the writing on the wall. Whatever metaphor works for you. It is not Obama who has all the leverage. He might be captain but the ship is sinking.

JellyToast on December 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Skin that smoke wagon boy and see where it gits ya!

/tombstone off.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM

+100 and I didn’t even need the reference!!!

ucantbserious on December 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM