Party crashers, the sequel: Tourists surprised to find themselves admitted to WH breakfast with Obama

posted at 8:14 pm on December 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Actually, this was a prequel: It happened two weeks before the Salahis crashed the Indian state dinner. But no matter. A la Pee Wee Herman, the Secret Service insists that they meant to do that.

The Dardens mistakenly showed up a day early for a tour scheduled through their congressman.

The White House and Secret Service both said the Dardens went through the appropriate security screenings and were allowed into the breakfast as a courtesy because there were no public tours the day they arrived…

Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said agents performed the same screening procedures on the Dardens that were used for other breakfast guests: They checked the Dardens’ names and did a criminal background check — steps that were not taken for the Salahis at the Nov. 24 state dinner.

Because the Dardens were able to pass Secret Service vetting, they were allowed to attend the breakfast for veterans as a “nice gesture,” White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said. He added that it’s not unusual for White House staff to take people who are cleared in for tours to other events if there is space, including Marine One arrivals, East Room events and Rose Garden ceremonies.

Shapiro said the White House Office of Public Engagement, which Obama created to engage citizens in White House activities, was responsible for clearing in the Dardens, as well as the other breakfast guests. The social office handled admittance to the Indian state dinner.

Follow the link and read to the end to see how close they got to The One. Presumably there’s more to the screening than the AP’s letting on, but the way this reads it sounds like the only thing stopping a tourist potentially from getting within arm’s reach of the president is whether he has a rap sheet. Whether the Service is telling the truth about letting them in as a courtesy or just covering its own ass, they need to rethink this policy. Because the more media coverage there is of people stumbling their way into Obama events, even in cutesy-poo stories like this, the greater the risk that some lunatic is going to try to take advantage. In this as in everything else, weakness invites aggression. And right now, in the public’s eyes, the Service is looking unusually weak.

Comments

Follow the link and read to the end to see how close they got to The One.

Were they carrying any tomatoes or small ceramic statues? Did they have on mom jeans? Were they wearing easily removable sandals?

j.k

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I think the Secret Service deserves a B+… Don’t you all agree?

Dire Straits on December 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

A la Pee Wee Herman,

an empty grey suit?

upinak on December 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Not sure this bothers me as much as the other, this was something arranged through a Congressman. The Salahis actually crashed a party and did come within arms length.

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I think the Secret Service deserves a B+… Don’t you all agree?

Dire Straits on December 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

all that money for nothin’ and those chicks fo’ free…

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Heads need to roll!

deidre on December 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

The tour was arranged, not the breakfast invite.

Allahpundit on December 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM

In Dec 2007, the family and I toured the WH for Christmas. We had to supply our application and security questionaires, IIRC, in March or April of that year. It was the third year we tried.

So, no, you don’t just walk up and get on the tour.

Of course, that’s back under the Evil Bush Administration. Things are apparently different now. I hear if you ask, you might be able to touch his robes……

BobMbx on December 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Someone on the inside is doing this. The question is who before Obama had access to the Secret Service that is now serving in his administration. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

SouthernGent on December 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I wonder if they would let me in and walk around if I just walked up and rang the door bell? I’m guessing that’s “protocol” these days.

Watch out for that landshark. He’s a sneaky little bastard and not afraid of lying. HMMMMMMMMMMMM?

milwife88 on December 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM

The social secretary strikes again!

cubachi on December 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I don’t blame the Secret Service…

I blame Obowma and his White House Office of Public Engagement. Just look at all the Czars that surround Obowma and what he is purposely doing to the economy, armed forces, and intelligence agencies of this country.

I am sure there is a picture of Che hanging in the Oval Office…

Seven Percent Solution on December 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Epic Effin’ Fail.
This CANNOT be Secret Service.
It HAS TO BE the obama administration and their limp security.

HornetSting on December 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM

The tour was arranged, not the breakfast invite.

Allahpundit on December 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM

my question is, how much of this happened under bush or clinton (but especially bush post-9/11?)

if this sort of “head of the hicksville allowed to watch a rose garden press conference” was common this decade, then no matter now, right?

BUT– my understanding is that in the bush years things were tight

look, i’m no fan of obama. but as our president, it CREEPS me out that people can just get ‘close’ to him. it’s not right; otherwise why have a secret service?

i knew something was up when bush had those shoes pelted at him…. wth was the SS doing???

battleoflepanto1571 on December 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I guess I can now disclose that I was on a tour of the White House four months ago and I got called into a meeting with Axelrod and Emanuel. Obamacare? It’s all mine, baby.

Cicero43 on December 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM

The adults are truly in charge…

Realist on December 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM

When you elect Bart Simpson to run the White House inevitably some idiocy will follow!

Amateur Hour(s) at the White House!

IntheNet on December 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Careful with that Pee Wee Herman reference when talking about BHO…

d1carter on December 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Obama deserves a Heisman for this.

SirGawain on December 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM

The tour was arranged, not the breakfast invite.

Allahpundit on December 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Granted, my point was that they were actually on a list with an invite from a Congressman and were checked out, at least minimally. I just think the Salahi episode was worse. That being said, if proper protocol was broken, off with their heads! Better?

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I think ODS is starting to set in a little too deep. I am sure most of you have read Reagan Diaries. There is a little story about a lady who mis-read a fund raising letter and showed up to meet Reagan, and he took her into his office and met privately with her. Now if these people, who I am sure hold Obama in high regard, get to have a similar experience with the Pres I see no harm as long as protective measures have been taken care of. The crashers raised concern because they got by security that was supposed to protect the President, that’s why that was a concern. Even though we disagree with Obama, we don’t want our President harmed.

lwssdd on December 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I wouldn’t have breakfast with Obama.

Just sayin’.

bluelightbrigade on December 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Has to be a phony side to this. There’s always a phony side to everything the WH does.

jeanie on December 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

When dining with the Devil, make sure you have a long spoon.

pilamaye on December 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM

We might as well go right up front and ring the doorbell, Bible-thompin’, gun toting extreme right-wing nuts.

We’ll have BUFFET!!!!

ProudPalinFan on December 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Cicero43 on December 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Made me laugh out loud. :)

acasilaco on December 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Back in the day you could walk up to the front door of the Whitehouse, knock on the door, present your card & request a visit with the President.

Oh for simpler times…

clancy_wiggum on December 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I wouldn’t have breakfast with Obama.

Just sayin’.

bluelightbrigade on December 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Arugula waffles not on your list of faves?

SouthernGent on December 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

The tour was arranged, not the breakfast invite.
Allahpundit on December 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Exactly the point. In my experience, pre- Obama, even if you were cleared for one meeting or social event at the White House, you had to do it all over again for the next one. And this goes back through the Carter administration. SOP.

I know it’s not a Secret Service issue. The SS is more anal about this stuff than you can believe. But, here, they have the almost impossible job of protecting a bunch of amateurs who think of themselves as invincible, godly.

TXUS on December 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I’ll just pass and wait till the Palin administration to apply. Flyin’ colors, baby!

ProudPalinFan on December 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Oh for simpler times…

clancy_wiggum on December 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

My MIL told me that when my husband and his brother were little, they went to DC and had a pic of the kids; they propped them up and my husband sat on the Lincoln monument’s knees.

ProudPalinFan on December 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Arugula waffles not on your list of faves?

SouthernGent on December 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Lol.

Call me old fashioned, but I just don’t like eating with someone who is trying to get me up the butt.

arrgg!

bluelightbrigade on December 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Somebody needs to let the Secret Service do their job before we end up with Binden as President.

Browncoatone on December 15, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I hope this doesn’t say anything about our national security.

jhffmn on December 15, 2009 at 8:53 PM

If this is what’s happening at the White House, I really wonder what’s going on at the borders…..?

/s

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I think we’re stumbling upon what was really meant by “the most open administration, Evah”. Y’all come on in now. Take your shoes off, set a spell.

Just don’t ask any questions.

Robert17 on December 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Can I just eat my waffle?

blatantblue on December 15, 2009 at 8:56 PM

TXUS on December 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

And that may be what’s happening. 0 an his staff may be too “good” to keep the security types advised or put their good buddies through the Secret Service anal probe.

Sekhmet on December 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Question: Does anyone know if turnover for the SS is standard when a new President is sworn in? And regardless, does anyone know if that occurred last January?

I just wonder why this is happening now and not during the previous 8 years (or ever, at least to my knowledge…)

BKeyser on December 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Shapiro said the White House Office of Public Engagement, which Obama created to engage citizens in White House activities, was responsible for clearing in the Dardens.

I wonder if it was Jarrett, Wicks, or Penn?

Joe Caps on December 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

separation of powers…..again?

jbh45 on December 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Well, it seems nice to me. I don’t think the problem lies with the SS regarding the intrusion into the state dinner, though. What that was about was a bad administrative choice to eliminate the guest oversight role at the door.

That one, actually, belongs with Michelle. She approved the change. And why nobody really brings that up and focuses on the SS is beyond me.

AnninCA on December 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Someone on the inside is doing this.

SouthernGent on December 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Ding!

But I think that some someones are trying to make the Secret Service look incompetent, racist, whatever. Why? Perhaps so that Obama can replace them with his nascent “National Force.”

Disclaimer: BO (Before Obama) I was not a conspiracy theorist.

baldilocks on December 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Why put your big donors through so much hassle for some face time, when the Secret Service is populated by clones of Miss Cleo?

Sorry about the dripping sarcasm. Too many years of unrealistic customer expectations has me suspecting this is the case.

Sekhmet on December 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM

“Office of Public Engagement?”

Jobs “saved or created,” yo!

MrScribbler on December 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Did Obama get to eat his waffles?

Joe Caps on December 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Allah contributes to the media blackout… leaving Beck to still be alone in covering the convicted felon husband of a completely government run health care promoting congresswomen who attended the same State Dinner as the Salahis… A felon who wrote a book in jail that has been praised by mainstream Dems, including Axelrod who called it a “blueprint for success”. A book that lays out a strategy that Obama seems to be following to a T.

But hey, did ya hear about that the Salahis want to be on reality TV? How many broads did Tiger bang? When do we get to hear about another unimportant Palin poll?

RightWinged on December 15, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Oh for simpler times…

clancy_wiggum on December 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Then people started using Presidents for target practice, of course no President was shot in the White House.

thomasaur on December 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Waffles all around!

hillbillyjim on December 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM

It’s official, Obama incompetence is a communicable disease. We must immediately seal off the city and shut down the airports before it gets out!

boomer on December 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I attended a reception at the GHWB White House. Had to provide info in advance. SS did their magic over the course of about a week and with a reasonably close check, let me in. Fools! I swiped a whole stack of White House cocktail napkins for my Super Bowl party. My guests were very impressed. I also got a photo with a very gracious Mrs. Barbara Bush. What a nice, dignified and yet warm lady. Bring those days back. Not to mention I’m out of cocktail napkins. I also had a great on camera interview with a very professional woman from CBS news who was then was a principal White House reporter on a topic important to me. Security at CBS News, Washington was tighter. Great trip, great time. I’m glad it was then.

Mason on December 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Disclaimer: BO (Before Obama) I was not a conspiracy theorist.

baldilocks on December 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I’m glad that I am not alone.
I have dealt with Pres. Secret Service security details 3 time and they are not incompetent, neither the advance teams or the actual security details. These people are very anal and detail oriented.

thomasaur on December 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Disclaimer: BO (Before Obama) I was not a conspiracy theorist.

baldilocks on December 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

‘Tis a pity this theory seems very plausible.

SouthernGent on December 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Did Obama get to eat his waffles?

Joe Caps on December 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Nah. Their serving ACORN cookies at all the white house parties. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm.

TN Mom on December 15, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I think the Secret Service deserves a B+… Don’t you all agree?

Dire Straits on December 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM

A- if they keep Obama alive.
I agree, if the One gives himself a B+(A- if he gets health care).

IowaWoman on December 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Tis a pity this theory seems very plausible.

SouthernGent on December 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Not to me. I think they just want the story to go away. It reflects badly on the first lady.

And that’s all. Security lapses have happened in the past, too. This is a kerpluffle.

AnninCA on December 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Disclaimer: BO (Before Obama) I was not a conspiracy theorist.

baldilocks on December 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

‘Tis a pity this theory seems very plausible.

SouthernGent on December 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Your disclaimer saves the comment, baldi. I don’t do conspiracy, either. To me this sounds more like the Secret Service hasn’t figured out how to handle the Obama “you’re a racist!!!” White House yet, and they are walking on egg shells.

This might be a good time to clear the air and get the damn White House secured again before something very stupid happens. All the blame goes to Obama, of course, for putting a bunch of imbeciles from Michelle’s Chicago lunch-bunch in charge of important things.

Jaibones on December 15, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Don’t they give the breakfast guests eating utensils? Like knives? A would be assassin need not try and smuggle a weapon in. The White House will gladly supply the shanks.

Guardian on December 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM

In this as in everything else, weakness invites aggression.

Truly. When I saw the foxnews sub-headline “Georgia pair at White House for a tour wound up at invitation-only breakfast — with the president and his wife,” my immediate thought was “Wait, are we talking Savannah or Tbilisi?”

Tanya on December 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Jaibones on December 15, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Something stupid happens?

At the rate that stupid is going, I’m sure that at least 48% of us are willing to give the guy who walks up on a tour and eats breakfast a fighting chance at running the country than we are to allow the current crop of brainstems to keep doing it.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I’m as not-down with Obama and his plan for America as anyone else here, but I really think this constitutes a big fat “eh, who cares?” People visit the WH every day and they’re vetted and they go through several security checkpoints and no one gets in with weapons and blah blah blah. People do get to go to the south lawn and see Marine One arrivals and departures – that’s nothing new. When Clinton was there he used to show up unannounced to public tours and greet people and take them on little personal tours. It’s fine. There are tons of secret service people all over the grounds with machine guns and if someone with bad intentions did happen to make it on the WH grounds they would have nothing but their bare hands. I’ll leave to your imagination who would win. This whole story really is a big to do about nothing.

t.ferg on December 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on December 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Getting ready for the rise of their Sturmbannfuhrer to the White House on January 20th, 2009?

dmh0667 on December 15, 2009 at 9:53 PM

In this as in everything else, weakness invites aggression.

You mean like electing an incompetent radical terrorist-loving socialist as President? You don’t think the KSM trials are the sine qua non of showing weakness in the face of terrorism. In all honesty, and I don’t advocate it, the filthy lying coward deserves to have terrorists attack him personally at some media event. It would give the rat bastard traitor a teachable moment he has yet to understand.

highhopes on December 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM

t.ferg on December 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM

That’s true to an extent but the Salahis got way too close to the President, and more importantly, the Prime Minister of a foreign nation, for this to be completely ignored. I honestly think that security wasn’t as lax as it appears and the SS is taking the heat for the filthy lying coward’s social secretary who got the Salahis in “under the velvet rope” and it only became a big deal because the idiots were tweeting the fact they crashed the most coveted invite in DC- from the event. There were plenty of sharp objects that could have been used as a weapon available for this to be ignored.

highhopes on December 15, 2009 at 9:59 PM

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

bill30097 on December 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Prelude… This is a set up for something. Cover.

suzyk on December 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM

arrgg!

bluelightbrigade on December 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM

So, you won’t be dining anytime soon with our Safe Schools Czar, then?

tigerlily on December 15, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Heads need to roll!

deidre on December 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM

The Secret Service seems to agree, they just disagree whose head, so they keep letting surprise people get close to the head that needs to roll…

doriangrey on December 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Or is a Republican and/or conservative. These folks along with the Salahis are, after all, Obama supporters.

This is all—-from the POTUS with an ego two miles high and a mile wide to the lax security issues in the WH to the catering to donors/dissing of non, to disinterest bordering on hostility to the military—Clinton redux. Anyone who says Clinton (either) would be better has amnesia or is sugar coating what happened back during that era.

KittyLowrey on December 15, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I

think ODS is starting to set in a little too deep. … Even though we disagree with Obama, we don’t want our President harmed.

lwssdd on December 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

People are expressing concern that a POTUS would be vulnerable, exactly the same thing you’re saying. The exact opposite of “Derangement Syndrome”.

KittyLowrey on December 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

HEY! Give the Secret Service a break! It’s not like they’re protecting something of REAL VALUE.

GarandFan on December 15, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I hope one of the next party crashers is an escapee from the new prison in Illinois.

cane_loader on December 15, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Anyone notice how Obama is traveling all over the world, but avoiding almost all contact with the American people? Any time he’s out and about in America, it’s in carefully controlled environments such as West Point, or the baseball All-Star game. or on a late-night show.

One wonders if he’s afraid of the American people

cane_loader on December 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Joe the Plumber should crash Obama’s party….
Turnabout is fair play

cane_loader on December 15, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I give this one a big ‘meh.’

Thousands of people show up to the White House for tours every day. These people have all scheduled their tour through their Member of Congress, and their personal information (Name, DOB, and SSN) were submitted to the WH weeks in advance for security processing.

If the guy was cleared in for a tour, he was cleared in for anything else. I know this because I’ve been cleared in for: The standard public tour (East Wing), a West Wing tour, and a Marine One departure. On my regular ol’ tour, President Bush (43) showed up at random and shook hands, including mine.

As much as I disagree with Teh Won, I’m not about to call him or his people onto the carpet for a breach of security on this.

wv619 on December 15, 2009 at 11:39 PM

I don’t think I communicated my point accurately, which is this:

Any private citizen cleared into the White House is expected by the Secret Service to have the possibility of contact with the POTUS or any other protected person at any point in time, regardless of the event. Yes, you will have to be cleared separately for each event, but if your name and personal information are already on the list, and you produce identificaion, it is entirely within the realm of sanity that you may be placed on a cleared list for another day.

Therefore, if one is cleared for a regular public tour, one might as well go ahead and see a Marine One departure or, hell, have breakfast with the POTUS. It doesn’t matter. At the end of the day, you’re still going to be denied if the SS turns up convictions or a shady past, and you’re going to be shot and/or arrested if you try to get through security with a weapon.

wv619 on December 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Obama is a man of the people. There are no terrorists any more.

This is a kerpluffle.

AnninCA on December 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM

What exactly is that?

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2009 at 12:00 AM

wv619 on December 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I concur.

t.ferg on December 16, 2009 at 12:11 AM

So far the only thing open about this government is the WH buffet.

HotWeaver on December 16, 2009 at 12:43 AM

I keep thinking back to the toxic handshake scene with the evil Mandy and the real president back when 24 was good.

publiuspen on December 16, 2009 at 12:58 AM

This is one president I actually DON’T wish to ever meet!

I find him repulsive for his lack of humanity, his deceptiveness, his leftist tendencies, his dishonesty, his spinelessness, and his absolute amateur status and performance.

A chimpanzee could do a better job as “POTUS” than this underwhelming poster child for someone with an overinflated ego, and no talent to go with it.

William2006 on December 16, 2009 at 2:39 AM

William2006,

Yeah, but you gotta give credit where credit is due.

2,000 chimpanzees banging away on 2,000 typewriters for 2,000 years couldn’t have come up with that humdinger of a 2,000-page ObamaCare bill….

cane_loader on December 16, 2009 at 2:59 AM

I was in middle school when Jimmah Carter was bumming out the nation, so I saw it from that perspective. I remember seeing the gas lines, hearing about the hostages and the killer rabbit, and feeling how fundamentally lame it was to have a lame president.

I even knew he was lame when I was 12!

So it’s interesting to see it from an adult perspective.

I wonder – was it like this under Carter? Did Carter screw up EVERY move he made? I’m not sure even Carter had such a low batting average?

cane_loader on December 16, 2009 at 3:05 AM

This seriously doesn’t sound at all unusual, I don’t know what the big deal is.

Somehow I doubt a congressman is going to setup a white house tour for a terrorist cell, but that’s just me.

triple on December 16, 2009 at 3:08 AM

Fauxbama’s mother-in-law has been out of the news for several months. I question the timing.

BHO Jonestown on December 16, 2009 at 3:31 AM

Cicero43 on December 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Hilarious.

Reminds me of the film “The Party” (1968) with Peter Sellers.

Plot: A clerical mistake results in a film extra from India – Peter Sellers as bumbling Hrundi V. Bakshi – being invited to an exclusive Hollywood party instead of being fired. Sellers’ character innocently navigates through a high-tech mansion filled with members of high society and inadvertently makes a shambles of everything.

Trivia: The only Blake Edwards – Peter Sellers collaboration that was not a Pink Panther film.

ReagansRight on December 16, 2009 at 5:00 AM

One wonders if he’s afraid of the American people

cane_loader on December 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

It is natural to fear that which one does not understand.

The filthy lying coward was not raised as an American, he does not identify himself as an American, he has not lived as an American. He has no business being the American president.

highhopes on December 16, 2009 at 6:56 AM

With Michelle and Barack’s background, it’s the TOURISTS who should be worried!

marklmail on December 16, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Just think how ‘secure’ the white house network is.

As I recall when the OBumbles came into the white house they were all “I’m a uber-geek because I use a Mac” and all (never mind the blackberries…

CrazyFool on December 16, 2009 at 8:25 AM

…Look, i’m no fan of obama. but as our president, it CREEPS me out that people can just get ‘close’ to him. it’s not right; otherwise why have a secret service?…
battleoflepanto1571 on December 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Excuse me while I adjust my tin foil hat…
You hit on something there panto. Why have a Secret Service? I think the plan is to get the Secret Service off of the presidential detail and replace them with oh, I don’t know…a civilian national security force? Now, why would the White House want to get rid of the Secret Service? Well, think about it. Obama wouldn’t even pass a secret service security check if he was trying to get a job as a White House aid simply because of his ties to Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dorn, Frank Marshall Davis, etc. You know that Van Jones didn’t pass the Secret Service clearance but their decision was overridden. That can only come from the POTUS. Same with Bob Creamer, and who knows how many more people that work in the white house.
The Secret Service has become a bother to this administration. They are holding up security checks of people that Obama wants in the white house (notice that not all of his cabinet and czar positions are full after a year in office). It would be a whole lot easier if Obama had his own security force that he has more control over than what he has now. But in order to get rid of the Presidential Detail of the Secret Service, they first must be discredited and considered too incompetent to care for the safety of the first family.
It may sound like a half-baked (or fully baked depending on your perspective) theory, and I would probably agree with you too but for the fact that history has shown us this scenario time and again. Name any random dictator, Hitler, Castro, Noriega, Mussolini, etc. and think of the special police that surrounds/surrounded him. How did that special force get appointed to that task? What kind of protection did the rulers of these countries have before the dictators took over? I hope this isn’t what is happening but I just don’t put anything past this administration.

mizflame98 on December 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM

William2006,

Yeah, but you gotta give credit where credit is due.

cane_loader on December 16, 2009 at 2:59 AM

Actually, they might be able to come up with a shorter healthcare bill that makes more sense.

mizflame98 on December 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM

You can walk up, knock and gain entrance if with SEIU.

Knuterockne on December 16, 2009 at 1:45 PM