Bombshell: Crist 43, Rubio 43

posted at 7:41 pm on December 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

I figured Rubio would catch him eventually as his name recognition grew, but 11 months before the election? When his opponent is the incumbent governor?

Amazing:

Crist’s support has fallen from 53% in August to 49% in October. Rasmussen Reports noted at the time, “The fact that Crist has fallen below 50% in a primary against a lesser known opponent suggests potential vulnerability.”

Crist, well known throughout the state, has seen his ratings go in the opposite direction. Just 19% now have a Very Favorable opinion of him, a figure that represents a double digit decline since August.

Remember, the dKos poll in November of 600 Florida likely voters had Crist by 10, with 26 percent saying they view Crist “very favorably” compared to just 10 percent for Rubio. Behold the numbers a month later. Even when Crist was leading, Kos argued that he was a sitting duck in a closed primary against a tea-party hero like Rubio and would eventually either have to switch to the Democrats a la Specter or run as an independent and take his chances in a three-way race. It’s hard to see how he wins in the latter scenario with conservatives united behind Rubio, so I assume a switch is in the offing sometime soon. The question is whether Obama and the DNC will back Crist over the current Democratic frontrunner, Kendrick Meek. Given that Rubio already led Meek head to head in the dKos poll last month, I assume they will, which means the left will be asked to go to the polls for not one but two opportunistic RINOs turned DINOs in next year’s Senate races. Exit question: Whom will McCain endorse? Crist helped swing the Florida primary to him last year, don’t forget.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nelsa,
Missed ya :)

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:15 PM

PappyD61 on December 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM

I’m from Florida and Jeb is not George and his son isn’t either of the three. Rubio is talking to more and more people every day. If you hear him speak, you believe him.

CC

CapedConservative on December 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Too bad you guys are getting rolled. But, I guess silver tongued pols with no substantial accomplishments are OK as long as they are telling you what you want to hear, huh?

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Squiddly! How are and how are thing in P’cola? I knew you would show up.

Here is what Crist said about Cap and Trade.
“It’s great!” Crist exclaimed in an interview Tuesday. “Of course it’s great. Are you kidding? We’ve finally moved Florida and the Southeast to the forefront on climate change!”

I don’t thnk I can argue with you for 8 more months. I’m trying to pace myself. LOL Hope you are doing well and dont start name calling again…. :):):)

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Unreal…this fast. Rubio has white house written all over his face.

Dritanian on December 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM

No, he might have Naval Observatory written all over his face.

Lanceman on December 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM

No, he might have Naval Observatory written all over his face.
Lanceman on December 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM

That is more likely at this point.

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Sounds exactly like some current president we have, O what’s his name. O BUMMER.

oldwino on December 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Nelsa,
We know what Charlie said about climate change, but what do you think about brooding Marco’s support of carbon restriction as speaker?

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:30 PM

oldwino on December 15, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Really, I NEVER noticed the similarities between Marco Rubio and Barack Obama.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Squiddly! How are and how are thing in P’cola? I knew you would show up.

PENSACOLA? No way.

tree hugging sister on December 15, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Really, I NEVER noticed the similarities between Marco Rubio and Barack Obama.

There aren’t any. You’re just confusing the two.

This was O BUMMER’s whole campaign strategy last year.

oldwino on December 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM

have you guys seen this LTC(R) Al West guy from FL? He’s running for Congress for some FL district and is giving a *helluva* good interview on Hannity right now.

Simply outstanding!

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Don’t be so hard on Obama.

PackerBronco on December 15, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Nope… none…. except he actually beat real opponents in elections and was actually a leader in the Florida legislature. Maybe he needs to write a book and community organize… or maybe have a lovefest with Omoron.

CC

CapedConservative on December 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Simply outstanding!

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I drove to the other coast (east from west) an saw him speak at a 912 event in West Palm… another very sharp candidate…

CC

CapedConservative on December 15, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Simply outstanding!

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM

A little leary about him because of the circumstances under which he left the Army.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Simply outstanding!

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I was wondering what happened to this guy. I heard him a few times during the last election.

Spectacular candidate.

Saltysam on December 15, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM

What would you have done, under the same circumstances?

Saltysam on December 15, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Great…but don’t forget the Dems and RINOs in the various state legislatures.

These Florida RINOs have been pretty adept at tax and spend policies, but at the same time let potential tax revenue slip through their fingers due to being bought off by lobbyists, special interest groups (namely companies like Disney and land developers), and their buds in general.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 15, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Yes, Virginia, there is an American people who knows what’s going on.

argos on December 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Whom will McCain endorse?

Who cares

KeepOhioRed on December 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM

CC

CapedConservative on December 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM

How was he a leader in the FL House? As Speaker, the most powerful man in budget discussions, was he able to enable ANY meaningful cuts or did he kick the can to his successor? Did he engage in any leadership on ethics enforcement and reform or was his time as speaker marked by ethics scandal after ethics scandal? Which opponents did he beat, he was the chosen son of the S Fl Cuban Tammany Hall, he was unopposed in 2006 (primary and general), he won the 2004 general 66/33 and was unopposed in his primary. He was unopposed in the 2002 primary and general as well. In the special election that got him into office in 2000 was barely contested.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I have heard Rubio speak.

While more telegenic than the Oranged Guv to me he seems a little Jindalish (boring). Maybe I’m wrong and haven’t heard him enough. However getting the praise of ROMNEY’S “National Review (RINO headquarters)” doesn’t impress me.

I’ve heard Rubio on Laura Ingraham, watched him on Fox a couple of times, etc. While competent and saying the right things (I contributed to his campaign early on). When I heard that the Bush family (Jeb Jr is doing the Jeb Sr. work that Jeb can’t bring himself to do right now and everyone knows that) was behind Rubio, supporting him etc. I just couldn’t give him money after that. I like Rubio’s story, I think he’s a great possiblity but after having the Bush family run the GOP FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS……ENOUGH ALREADY…

If it smells like a Bush, talks like a Bush, has Bush Family backing and has any fingerprints on it from the Bush Family then it is KRYPTONITE TO THE CONSERVATIVES if they want to retake the GOP.

I hope I’m wrong……..I hope Rubio is his own man and not being put forward for Romneys’ consideration in 2012.

Think what Rubio could do running in 2012 against Palin in the GOP (now that Huckabee has been neutered by the Clemency issue)? Rubio could split the GOP Conservatives just like he’s doing here with the HotAir breathern.

Maybe Palin and Rubio both won’t run in 2012 and we’ll be stuck with Mitt anyway. I hope I’m wrong.

PappyD61 on December 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Good NEWS! Still no wire stories on Rubio’s tie with Crist!
That means they are hoping it will go away… ;)

Everyone knows that this is at least “National” news with implications for the 2010 elections.

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM

He is a waffle fry if I have ever seen one. Anyone who has been watching his political career knows what a laughable joke his “credentials” are. In short, he has none.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Thought this thread was about Rubio not Obama.

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I also not how the “new media” (including Ed, much to my dismay) is not covering the substantial pushback coming from the Crist Camp.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

The bigger question is who cares who McCain endorses?

cadams on December 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Thought this thread was about Rubio not Obama.

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM

All the same to me.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I’ll ask again ~ Squid, you from Pensacola?

And there is no “Jeb Jr.”.

tree hugging sister on December 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM

“leader” (lower case) in Legislature not Leader in House… read.

Those results sound like what will happen in 2010… Who are you “trolling” for? Crist or Omoron?

BTW, you failed to respond to the question to you about what YOU would have done in West’s circumstances… you just threw out a remark about his “circumstances”. I don’t think you know exactly what they were…. just a troll reading a script.

CC

CapedConservative on December 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Rubio is HOT!

sweet92169 on December 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM

So is Russell Crowe in “Robinhood”!!!!

GAH-RROOWWWLLLLLLLLLLL

Um. Sorry.

tree hugging sister on December 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Thought this thread was about Rubio not Obama.

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I guess you thought wrong!
What say you, Sqiddley Diddley?

Lanceman on December 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Sqiddley = Squiddley

Lanceman on December 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Sorry I didnt see, that. I am not sure what I personally woudl have done, but I know officers who have been in similar situations and it did not end in them pulling a gun on a prisoner or having an Article 32 brought against them followed by “encouraged” retirement.

“leader” (lower case) in Legislature not Leader in House… read.

Not seeing the difference. He was not a leader in the lower case, he was an “upper case” leader in the sense that he had the title.

Who are you “trolling” for? Crist or Omoron?

Neither, would never vote for Obama, and am not really a Charlie cheerleader.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM

I’ll ask again ~ Squid, you from Pensacola?

And there is no “Jeb Jr.”.

tree hugging sister on December 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Jacksonville, but I have been in Pcola in the past.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM

The bigger question is who cares who McCain endorses?

cadams on December 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Heh.

But seriously, that’s a great question. I’m not sure the man holds sway over anyone anymore, at least not enough people to make a difference in a neck-and-neck battle.

Maybe in Arizona, but I don’t know because I don’t live there. But there’s a good chance McCain’s endorsement of an establishment republican will mean precisely dick in terms of influence.

We can only hope.

russcote on December 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM

PappyD61 on December 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Anything but Romney. The GOP must rid itself of the Rockefeller Republicans for good.

alliebobbitt on December 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Jacksonville, but I have been in Pcola in the past.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM

He’s in the Navy. Whatever.

alliebobbitt on December 15, 2009 at 10:20 PM

He’s in the Navy. Whatever.

alliebobbitt on December 15, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Why you gotta hate? :)

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I guess you thought wrong!
What say you, Sqiddley Diddley?

Lanceman on December 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I say “Sqiddley Diddley?” probably = definition of your brains but I do not really know you.

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Ah, ‘splains it.
We’re in P-cola. Marines of the retired variety now. Good for you, Squid, wearing the swabbie blue.

But you’re still a contrary fella.

tree hugging sister on December 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM

This is who Charlie is up against. I promise you it is worth the 4 minutes to watch.

When you have “principles” you know where they came from and you stick to them.

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Rubio has just appeared on the scene and already he’s a candidate for president? I don’t think he’s ready for that big a promotion.

silvernana on December 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM

It should be noted that Kos is extremely stupid and knows nothing about Republicans. Crist is practically Ronald Reagan compared to Arlen Specter.

Speedwagon82 on December 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Speedwagon82 on December 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM

The KOS poll was accurate and the last poll before the Ras results today. They showed only a 10 point lead by Crist on 11-18. Many seemed surprised. Looks like their data was correct at the time.

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Why this Rubio fella would be historically historic. Historic I tell ya.

Mojave Mark on December 15, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Mojave Mark on December 15, 2009 at 10:53 PM

MM-I get it…LOL
BTW-Victorville or Barstow?

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 10:56 PM

A Dem supported a Dem and now the Dem will return the favor and support his fellow Dem.

angryed on December 15, 2009 at 10:57 PM

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Cute, ad hominem really advances your argument.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Never seen the source but like the story:

This poll will embolden those forces, energize an already excited base eager to show the national party that they made a huge mistake backing the ho-hum, moderate, old white guy instead of Rubio.

Tonight in Florida, the hope for an diverse, youthful, and conservative Republican party springs anew. Marco Rubio is man of the hour, and if he can keep his momentum going, look for support from conservative and Tea Party type activists outside Florida to pour into the state as we approach next year’s primary. A win for Rubio would be a real shot heard round the Republican world and serve as an unmistakable wake-up call to the GOP leadership that they ignore their base at their own peril.

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM

As I have said before, I know another guy who gives a great speech.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Vomit break.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:08 PM

tree hugging sister on December 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Being a right of center guy on these boards will turn you into a pretty contrary fella.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Being a right of center guy douchebag on these boards will turn you into a pretty contrary fella.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:10 PM

FIFY

angryed on December 15, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Crist is not a right minded conservative. He was a big disappointment as gov.

ironmonk on December 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

FIFY

angryed on December 15, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Sounds like another winning argument!

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Squiddley-Just tell us all, Who DO you support? Not Rubio,not Crist, not Meeks. WHO!!!!!????? Gotta go now. Up at 5:30am as usual….

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I guess you thought wrong!
What say you, Sqiddley Diddley?

Lanceman on December 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Cute, ad hominem really advances your argument.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I should answer him with what argument?

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Nelsa on December 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Right now, I am voting for Crist. I was thinking about a protest vote for Smith, but that one would be even worse.

Rubio will not get my vote in the primaries, Crist is the known quantity, we don’t agree all of the time, but at least he has made a vague attempt at leadership over the last 4 years.

You know this, Nelsa, we have had this discussion in every Crist-Rubio board.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I should answer him with what argument?

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 11:19 PM

I have no clue what he was even talking about.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM

I have no clue what he was even talking about.

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Exactly, that was his whole post, there was no argument. I have never spoken to him before nor did I address anything he has said tonight. He was posting to me in response to what you and I were talking about, I am guessing. Quite honestly you and I had not really said much. So, that was why I said what I said, he made no sense. Same with your post to me about ad hominem.

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Chalk it up to confusion then

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Chalk it up to confusion then

Squid Shark on December 15, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Fair enough, good by me.

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Love Ace’s comment on this at Ace of Spades:

RINO Hunt! Rubio Ties Crist In Rasmussen Poll
—Ace

It’s on.

Governor Charlie Crist and former state House Speaker Marco Rubio are now tied in the 2010 race for the Republican Senate nomination in Florida.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of likely GOP Primary voters finds Crist and Rubio each with 43% of the vote. Five percent (5%) prefer another candidate, and nine percent (9%) are undecided.

…Rubio’s name recognition has grown in recent months and he is now viewed Very Favorably by 34% of Likely Primary Voters. That’s up from 18% in August. As his name recognition increased, Rubio’s support in the polls has jumped from 31% in August to 43% today.

Rubio’s website, including donation page, is here.

No doubt David Frum is lying in the fetal position bemoaning the death of the GOPs big tent.

Muwahahaaa!!! Take that, Frum!

manofaiki on December 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Muwahahaaa!!! Take that, Frum!

manofaiki on December 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM

It would be nice if he would stay in that fetal position and quit spewing his diatribe.

bluemarlin on December 15, 2009 at 11:34 PM

This is both wonderful and horrifying if Crist does what we would all expect a buttsniffing liberal Republican to do, a la Scuzzyfava. Kendrick Meek is a total clown who couldn’t win this race against a ventriloquist’s dummy, but if Crist runs from outside the party and splits all the voters with functioning brains, that still leaves the Democrats for Meek.

Yikes. Someone needs to lock Crist in his tanning bed overnight.

Jaibones on December 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM

What will the Latinos do?

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Whom will McCain endorse?

Don’t know, don’t care. I do know that I’m sick of seeing and hearing McCain in the media almost constantly lately.

Suddenly McCain sounds like a real Republican and is pointing his barbs at Dems instead of Conservatives as he has for the last so many years. Amazing how McCain’s coming reelection campaign is focusing his mind.

He’s an old back-stabbing idiot that hates most of his political Party, why doesn’t he go home to his rich wife and leave us alone?

RJL on December 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Muwahahaaa!!! Take that, Frum!

manofaiki on December 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Anything that will keep Frum in the “mother thumb-sucking, need my diaper-chaged” position gets my vote. Wish is would count.

lovingmyUSA on December 16, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Wish it would count–jeez!

lovingmyUSA on December 16, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I don’t care who McCain endorses.

Lets not forget that thanks to Crist, we got John McCain instead of Mitt Romney in 2008. Romney was expected to win that state but the last minute endorsement by Crist changed all that.

There are many reasons why Crist has to go…but giving him the boot for endorsing McCain is a good reason to shove Crist out of office.

Conservative Samizdat on December 16, 2009 at 12:52 AM

LOL I think you’re feeling a few tingles in your leg, Allah. Before making wild predictions that Crist will switch parties, I’ll wait to see how it plays out.

Not that I’m a RINO/Crist fan by any stretch. I’m just saying.

voxpopuli on December 16, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Don’t any politicians take defeat like grown adults any more?

The changing parties and running as independents strikes me as “It’s my ball, and I’m taking it and going home”.

Bunch of crybabies!

patch on December 16, 2009 at 3:47 AM

It’s all part of the Tea Party Wave and people wanting to turn the dying GOP into a Phoenix.

- The Cat

MirCat on December 16, 2009 at 4:10 AM

In reading the posts above, it seems much of the vitriol is coming from those who have not reviewed Rubio’s history, nor have they listened to the man talk about what he believes. The majority seem to want Charley–a known political entity–rather than Marco. However, if you put your listening ears on, you may find that Rubio has much to say that resonates with the past values of the formerly conservative Republican Party. Rubio is the genuine article, unlike our current governor. Has he made concessions to obtain important changes? Of course. That’s politics. But in his heart, I think he knows what he believes. I’m an early retiree and a 25-year Florida resident, and he’s earned my support.

Crusader Rabbit on December 16, 2009 at 7:51 AM

silvernana on December 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Certainly more experience than the current liar-in-chief.

Crusader Rabbit on December 16, 2009 at 7:55 AM

What will the Latinos do?

Schadenfreude on December 16, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Start a propaganda campaign against Rubio, calling him a “Gringo” and a race traitor, then vote for Kendrick Meek, pandering liberal nitwit.

Jaibones on December 16, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Crusader Rabbit on December 16, 2009 at 7:51 AM

I will give you the challenge that I give to all of the Rubio supporters, then, what in Rubio’s record is so gosh darned wonderful.

As for listening to what he has to say, I have heard him support a carbon-reduction scheme on the house floor, I have heard his rail against “truck nutz” during a special session where the House was allagedly going to address our failing budget, I have heard him say he would have taken the stimulus money (using essentially the same argument as Crist) not 3 months after trying to beat Crist over the head with it.

Squid Shark on December 16, 2009 at 10:47 AM

He is not Crist, and the most basic reform we can bring to the Republican Party is an end to automatic support for incumbents.

Chris_Balsz on December 16, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Chris_Balsz on December 16, 2009 at 10:55 AM

So you will put an ineffective legislative underachiever in the Senate to represent your state because he is “not the incumbent”.

Squid Shark on December 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM

alliebobbitt on December 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM

I still don’t understand people’s opposition to Romney. So far, he’s the only person who has the skills and knowledge on how to fix the economy and that’s gonna be the main issue in 2012.

I’m open to other candidates (except for Huckabee) in 2012 but so far…Romney is the only person who has any private and public sector experience which is relevant to fixing a broken economy.

Conservative Samizdat on December 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I still don’t understand people’s opposition to Romney.
Conservative Samizdat on December 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Mitt is a RINO who has flipped on just about every issue necessary to win the GOP nomination. I agree that Mitt is a smart capable guy but I don’t trust him not to flop back to his RINO positions when push comes to shove.

jpmn on December 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM

jpmn on December 16, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Sounds like Rubio.

Squid Shark on December 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Rubio deserves some money; send it now.

He’s still a politician but better than Crist. I just can’t agree with Crist’s lifestyle – Tolerate me, you can only be tolerant if we disagree. You just learned something.

father on December 16, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Sounds like Rubio.

Squid Shark on December 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Exactly.

Lets not forget that Reagan flipped flopped on issues but went on to become a strong conservative President.

Besides…flip flopping is so 2004.

Conservative Samizdat on December 17, 2009 at 4:36 AM

Squid Shark on December 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I’m not in Florida, but if I gotta pick between an “ineffective legislative underachiever” or a proamnesty, proglobal warming, probailout hack who “made a vague attempt at leadership” then I’ll go for the choice that undermines RINOs nationally.

Chris_Balsz on December 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM