Obama: I’d give myself a B+; Update: Video added

posted at 11:36 am on December 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The problem that has afflicted Academia for decades has now moved to the White House: grade inflation. When Oprah Winfrey asked Barack Obama to grade his first year in office, to which Obama replied, a “good, solid B-plus.” Jake Tapper covers the story for ABC, while a local Fox affiliate in Rhode Island has a good roundtable discussion. Click the first image to watch:

On her Christmas in Washington special on ABC last night, Oprah Winfrey asked President Obama to grade himself.

“Good, solid B-plus,” the president said.

Explaining, he said, “we have inherited the biggest set of challenges of any president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

“We stabilized the economy, and prevented possibilities of a Great Depression or a significant financial meltdown. The economy is growing again.

“We are on our way out of Iraq. I think we’ve got the best possible plan for Afghanistan.

“We have reset our image around the world.[“]

First, as one of the commentators notes in the clip, Obama doesn’t get to grade himself. That comes from the electorate, which will use the academically-nicknamed midterm elections as its first opportunity to grade Obama and his agenda. So far, the indications are that Obama is about to get a big failure notice, and the march of Democratic retirement suggests that some of Obama’s school buddies are already aware of that.

If anything, Obama gets an incomplete. His legislative agenda is still stuck at his first project, health-care reform. Obama himself has basically shoved responsibility for this shared project onto his lab partners Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, showing up only to do classroom presentations and hog the credit. Cap-and-trade has fallen off the table altogether. And only belatedly did Obama return to the issue that most concerns his actual graders, jobs.

And on math, Obama gets a big, red F. After all, it was his team that missed the 10-year deficit projection by over 22% and two trillion dollars. His Porkulus project was supposed to result in limiting unemployment to 8%, and his estimate that it would reach as high as 9% without out the stimulus turned out to be wildly incorrect.

Hot Air readers are more qualified to grade Obama than Obama himself. After all, he works for all of us. What kind of grade would you give Obama?

Update: Added the link to the video clip from the interview, courtesy of Mediaite and Allahpundit.

Comments

I’m glad to see he still has a great sense of self-esteem. Like all the kids who aren’t learning diddly squat at school–but still feel like they are.

hoosiermama on December 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Did you notice he still found a way to blame Bush?

He is a loser as a leader and his poll numbers bear that out.

CWforFreedom on December 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM

How modest.

He should give himself an “A” for “Bull$hitting”.

Danny on December 14, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I’m sure he thinks it is an “A”, but he was setting up Oprah to jump in and say, “Oh, no, no it’s an “A”, an “A++”!”

Then he could grin and try and look humble, but not correct her.

reaganaut on December 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Mr. Obama, as a teacher, I have been grading your work since 2007. I have reviewed all submitted paperwork, which is very small. There are blank spots in my gradebook for work you won’t turn in, depsite court cases against you.

Based upon the work you have submitted, I HAVE CAREFULLY CALCULATED YOUR GRADE:

Academics: FAIL
Citizenship: FAIL

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

cane_loader on December 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM

..I gave the POSOTUS a Fail because I could not see a check box for “Sub-Blutarsky F minus”.

What I really wish would happen next year (aside from his having a nervous breakdown and leaving office early) would be that he goes to a decent dentist and fixes his goddam annoying whistling teeth.

VoyskaPVO on December 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Well, let’s see. He went to an Ivy League school. The Ivy League is notorious for grade inflation. By coming from that culture and giving himself anything less than an A, he’s actually saying he did a pretty crummy job, right?

flutejpl on December 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Someone probably already said this; I haven’t read the comments.

But no doubt 0bama DOES really believe he deserves a B+. Just like his Columbia and Harvard days. With enough epidermal melanin content, you get a B+ just for showing up for at least half your classes. An A if you actually turn in a paper, regardless of its content.

LegendHasIt on December 14, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Must have been a real pain in the ass for Bleedsblue to get 17 different IP addresses so he could give his hero the A votes he got in the poll.

By the way, it’s marvy the way these three commentators hammer this Clown Prince. They really make mincemeat out him.

VoyskaPVO on December 14, 2009 at 7:10 PM

flutejpl on December

14, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Heh, I knew I wouldn’t be the first to make that allusion. You posted while I was typing. GMTA

LegendHasIt on December 14, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Obama probably also thinks that 493 is a high Math SAT score.

MB4 on December 14, 2009 at 7:15 PM

CWforFreedom on December 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM

When I saw this on FOX this am–I was screaming at the tv…

lovingmyUSA on December 14, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I would rate the mountains in Kansas a good, solid B-plus.

I would rate Kalifornia’s budget situation a good, solid B-plus.

I would rate Helen Thomas’s looks a good, solid B-plus. OK, well maybe just a good, solid B.

MB4 on December 14, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Barack Hussein Obama….. C-/D+, see me after class…..

Rick554 on December 14, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Obama has done some good things.

1) No global warming while he has been president, even a bit of global cooling.
2) Little or no inflation while he has been president. OK, well that’s in large part because without jobs people usually spend less, but never mind that.
2) Little or no rise in the crime rate while he has been president. OK, well that’s in large part because his Attorney General isn’t prosecuting anyone in ACORN or SEIC or Goldman Sachs, but never mind that either.
4) No invasion from Mars while he has been president.

MB4 on December 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM

FAIL.

bluelightbrigade on December 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM

O/T – Note to Oprah: Fat ppl shouldn’t wear red.

bluelightbrigade on December 14, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Many in the younger generation have been lulled into thinking that a B is average and that a C is failing.

Obama does not even deserve a gentelman’s C in the old-school grading curve.

Obama: “We have reset our image around the world.[“]

Whatever in the world does that mean? Our “image” under Obama suggests that we are toothless in negotiating with Iran, Russia, and North Korea, that we do not stand by our allies (Poland and Israel) or fellow democracies (Honduras), that we cannot build a coalition to fight the Taliban/al Qaeda in Afghanistan, that we snub our good neighbor (Canada) but bow before Saudi Arabia or Japan and buddy up to Venezuela’s and Cuba’s leadership, that we fail to identify the human rights abrogations and flawed election in Iran, that we are cavalier about the economic debt that we owe China, that we do not promote the democracy in Colombia via the passage of a trade agreement, etc. Shall I go on? All of these issues add up to a FAIL. Nothing positive has been accomplished.

Every economic initiative and policy that Obama has taken on will lead to a deeper recession and/or out-of-control debt and inflation. Maybe Obama sees the growth of government jobs as commendable. I give him another F.

To be charitable, I gave Obama a D in the poll. However, in thinking about what I have listed above, his grade should be an F. I truly do not see our country as being in a better position since he took office.

onlineanalyst on December 14, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Typical democrat…They put soooooo much stock in what school they went to and what grades they got. They never quite figure out that results the only thing that matters in the real world…And, he has zero results other than subsidizing the pockets of the UAW, ACORN, and a cast of thousands like Van Jones and Kevin Jennings…Setting government on schedule to double the National debt on his watch, pandering to third world dictators and terrorists. Allowing the Pan Am bomber to go free. Dithering while troops died in Afghanistan. Attempting to destroy the best medical care in the world thru government takeover and mismanagement…Did I mention putting America’s kids at risk by having a pedophile as “safe schools czar”…Wasting hundreds of millions of dollars to close Gitmo and bring the scum of the earth to this country because, they got their rights too!!! Some record…I say this guy stands a good chance of leaving office in handcuffs. Or maybe, the first President since Lincoln to deal with secession.

Nozzle on December 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Didnt Bill Oreilly give Obama a B plus? Gag, I think he did.

mobydutch on December 14, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I think he more than deserves his grade of BS+ !!!

bayview on December 14, 2009 at 7:59 PM

A good solid B+, huh? Man, if only my college used his standards, I’d would have been on the Dean’s list every semester.

Rightwingguy on December 14, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Steven Crowder should have new material for a Peace Prize-esque rap:

Doin’ my laundry, that’s a B+
makin’ a sandwich, that’s a B+

C’mon Crowder!!! We expect to hear it within a week :)

Mike in GB on December 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM

I give Barack H. Obama an “F” on his conduct:

1. Buzzing of NYC in AF1.
2. “The Cambridge Police acted stupidly”
3. Asking Americans to turn in people to Fishy.gov
4. Getting private emails of Americans
5. Bowing to a Saudi King
6. “I won, so I trump you”
7. Saying nothing as the Iran goverment slaughtered people
8. Spatting with Fox
9. Hiring Van Jones, Kevin Jennings

TN Mom on December 14, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Nobody gives themselves a grade….the instinct to do so is narcissistic and self absorbing.

The correct answer would have been ‘My job is to do what I think is in the best interests of the American people, both in terms of economic expansion and protecting our freedoms. I will let the American people grade the job I am doing. That is why we live in the greatest Country ever…the people get to grade and replace the teacher if they don’t think he is doing a good job’.

No, what we got was ‘a B+ but once I pass health care, it will bump up to a A-‘….

Classless.

tatersalad on December 14, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Bamster has made mockery of self. Love it.

petefrt on December 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM

What a complete toad. I don’t get (once again) how his political skills are so embarrassingly poor. This guy is a trained lawyer? How does he even consider answering this question? I think maybe he just couldn’t resist. He just set up every one of his opponents for three days of telling us what his grade really is.

This stuff is trivial, except for the fact that he is walking around in a very dangerous world with a ‘kick me’ sign he stuck on his own back.

2ipa on December 14, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I’d expel him for not doing any work, and tell him to go get a real job. Something involving actual WORK. If he’s unfamiliar with the word, he can Google it. He might be surprised.

bradley11 on December 14, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Here’s a question, what were his real grades?? In any school,….EVER????? HMMMMM. Even the freedom of information act can’t seem to crack that battery of lawyers. That in itself should really tell you a lot about someone.

Bikerken on December 14, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I like Brit Hume but he gets in the common problem right of center types have—the “too fair” problem, where someone tries so hard to be nice they completely miss the truth.

Today appearing as pundit on O’Reilly he was asked to grade Obama on various topics and first was temperament and he instantly gave O an A. Even O’Reilly was taken aback and asked why where upon Brit lauded Obama for calm and cool and that’s good for the country.

O’Reilly (of all people) correctly noted Obama’s thin skinned tendency to blame Bush, take too much credit, whine and so on didn’t strike him as signs of a good temperment.

I do think Brit might rethink it and I have to say, his claim Obama’s demeanor is good for the country is 180 degrees the opposite of truth. His demeanor actually perpetuates false notions against Republicans and GWB in particular, not to mention his complaints about the country in general do a grave disservice.

I was glad O’Reilly strenuously took issue with that absurd grade.

KittyLowrey on December 14, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Obama may have “reset” our image in the world. But when he hit ctrl-alt-delete instead of a nice new clean desktop screen our reboot keeps hanging on the blue screen of death.

Hard to give a grade when he can’t finish a single assignment. He’ll be lucky if he gets an incomplete.

ray on December 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Brit Hume needs to retire…He is smart enough to know that we have a communist revolutionary in the Whitehouse and he shouldn’t be providing cover for him. Obama can destroy this Republic in his time. We are in deep $hit as a nation. My god he has the temerity to select a pedophile for “safe schools czar”. Whatever that is supposed to be as a job description I couldn’t tell you. But, a man who keynotes a conference that instructs underage kids in the finer points of homosexual sex needs to be hanged. A hundred years ago he would have been hanged. Obama knows it and he is laughing at the fools who can’t figure him out. Republicans, Independants, and even Democrats need to join together to save this Republic. It won’t get better until we educate the folks who voted this trash into office. The time for kind words expecting that all will conduct themeselves as gentlemen is ridiculous at this point. Brit Hume should be ashamed…

Nozzle on December 14, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I also would give Barry an A for his first 11 month in the White House— for awful.

bayview on December 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Obama has done some good things.
3) Little or no rise in the crime rate while he has been president. OK, well that’s in large part because his Attorney General isn’t prosecuting anyone in ACORN or SEIC or Goldman Sachs, but never mind that either.
MB4 on December 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM

His Attorney General isn’t prosecuting those Black Panthers in Philly with night sticks intimidating voters during Prez election.

Bikerken on December 14, 2009 at 9:15 PM

This was my first thought when I heard the question. He has no grade record – at any school at all. How is this possible? Better yet – WHY is this?

On top of that – I’d like to know his medical records. McCain released 900+ pages – Obama released one – it said he was healthy.

This is the most unknown, secretive President ever – He has no history – except what Ayers wrote for him – about him – in “Obama’s” books about himself when he was a child.

How’s the transparency thing working out for y’all?

Oopsdaisy on December 14, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Breaking: Obama to Contest His Grade in Prime Time Address http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/12/obama-to-contest-his-grade-in-prime.html

Mervis Winter on December 15, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Wait, this is much better than his college grades… what gives?

scotash on December 15, 2009 at 3:38 AM

When discussing concern for fallen military heroes during the debates, ol’ barry interjected “I..I’ve got a bracelet too!”

When discussing his performance in the first year of his POTUSness, “A solid B+…yeah, B+”

he thinks that he can be the one who determines the results of his actions.

well, nope. We don’t care about your bracelet until we see that you care about what matters about your bracelet. We don’t care about the grade you give yourself, until we start seeing some B+ work. I think you need to park the damn plane, turn off the teleprompter, cancel your vacashuns, and park your butt in the oval office and do some constitutional and federalist papers studying.

ted c on December 15, 2009 at 7:40 AM

Obama gives himself a B+ for his first year.

This is exactly the reason people are not allowed to grade themselves in college.

That sophomore year when I bailed out the entire year, went to almost no classes, screwed off so much I had a .8 GPA –
Would have been much better if I was allowed to grade myself.

Now I am too smart to give myself an A for the total lack of accomplishment, that would have drawn too much attention.
No, if given the opporunity, I would have given myself a B+ for that entire semester of goofing off.

It seems Obama thinks the same as I do on this issue.

gonnjos on December 15, 2009 at 8:58 AM

That was a terrible question to ask and even more stupid to answer.

He’s getting creamed everywhere on this one.

AnninCA on December 15, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Did you notice he still found a way to blame Bush?

He is a loser as a leader and his poll numbers bear that out.

CWforFreedom on December 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM

He’ll still be blaming Bush when he gets evicted from the WH in Jan. 2013.

CrazyFool on December 15, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Forget the grades, he needs suspended from class! Thrown out of school, actually!

JellyToast on December 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM

My grade for Obama… a Z-minus.

ZK on December 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

If you give him above a D- , you lie. Why do you lie?

proconstitution on December 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM