James Cameron: Oh yeah, “Avatar” has environmental themes too

posted at 4:56 pm on December 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

A three-hour lecture on war and imperialism can be safely skipped, but a three-hour lecture on war, imperialism, and green awareness? Punch my ticket.

I’m almost inclined to go at this point just to see what other fun little messages are in there. Smurf heroine selflessly aborts her baby so that she can return to battle against the evil Marines? Elderly Smurfs gloriously volunteer to forgo medical treatment to conserve precious social resources? This trainwreck will run me 15 bucks at a theater in Manhattan; if I’m going in for that much, I want that train totaled. Click the image to watch.

cam-green

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I have no intentions of going to the theatres to see it. I may see it eventually, but I’m not giving him money for it.

Enoxo on December 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

No way no how will I give any of my hard earned $ to this clown .

bbz123 on December 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Ok, now you’ve gotta go. Expense it…blog research. I want to read the Allah review!

AUINSC on December 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I’m torn, if I don’t pay to watch this movie, how is Rupert Murdoch gonna get paid?

Apologetic California on December 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I REALLY want an Avatar online game…

So I can play the Mercenarys!

Romeo13 on December 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I don’t wanna waste my time with that interview, but he’s not lying about all his previous movies(with the exception of T2) being chick flicks:

The Terminator – love story
Aliens – story about surrogate mother and daughter
The Abyss(either version) – love story
True Lies – husband and wife rediscover the spark in their marriage
Titanic – do I have to even go there?
Aquaman – just kidding

Doughboy on December 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Buy a ticket for another movie and sneak into Avatar.

portlandon on December 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Im gonna go see it in 3D…I may not agree with the message but that movie does look badass :)

deepinthought on December 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Oh yeah, “Avatar” has environmental themes too

Who cares … I just wanna know why you keep most of the money you make instead of buying people health insurance.

Why do you have a huge house? Sell it and buy people some homes.

Be a good little Marxist.

darwin on December 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Ah AP, one of your funnier posts.

the evil Marines?

Really? Cameron and his ilk have warped, demented worldviews.

conservative pilgrim on December 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Smurf heroine selflessly aborts her baby so that she can return to battle against the evil Marines? Elderly Smurfs gloriously volunteer to forego medical treatment to conserve precious social resources? This trainwreck will run me 15 bucks at a theater in Manhattan; if I’m going in for that much, I want that train totaled.

I love you, man.

MadisonConservative on December 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

What’s not to love about a man that pisses on the very country that has made him millions?

Daddy-O on December 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I have no intention of seeing it, precisely because I am tired of being preached to by Hollywood glitterati.

Mutnodjmet on December 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM

If I want a sermon, I’ll go to church.

Meric1837 on December 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Preachy movie, heavily recycled plot, effects that were already done and done better in the Star Wars prequels…pass.

clearbluesky on December 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

If you go, bring some of these in to mix with your drinks to ease your pain.

WashJeff on December 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I think this one goes up there with AP’s Yankee-bashing quotes for comedy gold.

fiatboomer on December 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I’m good for $5 to cover a ticket for Allah…anybody else in? I’m not seeing sorry mess of a movie, but it seems Allah is willing to take one for the team.

Only one string…we have to get a review.

AUINSC on December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Why do rich Hollywood liberals refuse to give up their mansions and millions to buy health care for the poor?

What are they waiting for? An invitation?

Good Lt on December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

This is for those of you who think watching liberal trash has no effect on anything bcs as you say “it’s just a movie”:

Bcs after all, popular culture never affects the morals & beliefs of the young in any way shape or form.
Steeping yourself in things like that, well let’s admit one thing:
If you take a flea dip in a vat of $hit, you are NOT going to come out smelling like roses.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I said it on the other thread & I still mean it.
I know boycotts don’t mean as much as they used to, but dear God we have to start somewhere.
I may be curious about methamphetamines (which I’m not, BTW), but that doesn’t mean I need to seek them out.
Trash in = trash out.
So you watch enough trash, & pretty soon, you become trash yourself.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

The giant Smurf leadership wins the day, then starts beheading any of their people that look sideways at them, while consigning the heroine to a rape room.

michaelo on December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

If some of the smurfs in the smurf army aren’t gay, braver than their straight comrades and plan to get married when the war is over, then there’s still a few wheels on track. We can’t have that, James, can we?

trubble on December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Dude, careful! You don’t want to be called a candy ass by BlackFive…again.

SouthernGent on December 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Our popular culture is quickly becoming neither.

ronsfi on December 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I wonder how many trees were killed or how much carbon dioxide was spewed into the air during production? Not to mention, he expects lots of people to go see it, right? And they’ll all be driving cars, or flying private jets, which means more pollution! *gasp* You’re killing the Earth, Mr. Cameron! You’re slaying trees! Can’t you feel their PAIN???

TheQuestion on December 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

If you go, bring some of these in to mix with your drinks to ease your pain.

WashJeff on December 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

LMAO!
I prefer my vodka in pill form.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

This trainwreck will run me 15 bucks at a theater in Manhattan

Can you bring your cat? The purr may keep your blood pressure down …

darwin on December 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Not my kind of movie so I will forgo without feeling any pangs. I might also add that I am probably the only living human who has never seen even a smidgeon of Titanic

Cindy Munford on December 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

If some of the smurfs in the smurf army aren’t gay,
trubble on December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

They don’t need females to reproduce. Think of them as sponges.
Smurfette just looks like a girl, but she probably has both parts, like a sponge.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

when it makes it to the library, I may check it out, or may not.

tarpon on December 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Cindy Munford on December 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Watched it on DVD.
The only part I like about it is when the bodies go THUNK as they hit the railings when the ship’s upended & going down.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

The nude scenes weren’t bad. :)

darwin on December 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I’ll see this just for the spectacle. But I’m going in on a ticket to “The Blind Side”…

AttilaTheHun on December 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I prefer my vodka in pill form.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Sh*t works good according to my wife. She brought some into to ease her through Twilight: New Moon.

WashJeff on December 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I’ve never seen Titanic and I NEVER WILL! Take that.

- The Cat

MirCat on December 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

You almost convienced me to rent it with that stirring description, but I think I will try to hold out.

Cindy Munford on December 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Thundercats of Fern Gully.

darclon on December 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

If I want a sermon, I’ll go to church.

Meric1837 on December 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

all movies preach a worldview, some more subtle than others.

jp on December 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

So you watch enough trash, & pretty soon, you become trash yourself.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Have to agree about that. It is tough enough without inviting garbage into your life.

fourdeucer on December 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Cindy Munford on December 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I envy you. My mom took me to see that crap on Christmas Day. The only part I enjoyed was seeing the little people bounce off the smokestacks as the ship was going down.

I have no desire to see this drek, and I’m a big sci fi fan – even though it’s often liberal and cheesy (sometimes, the cheese it what makes it fun). Dances with Smurfs just sounds awful.

Anna on December 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Cindy Munford on December 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Giddy-up…me too!

WashJeff on December 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM

If he had glasses he could be Ed Beagley Jr.

Oil Can on December 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM

MirCat on December 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM

We should start a club. Kind of a flimsy foundation but what the heck.

Cindy Munford on December 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Why is the business of people who wouldn’t piss on any one of us who was on fire being discussed here?

Doorgunner on December 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM

This actually could have been a good movie if he didn’t take any sides. You could have had the Mercenaries whose natural resources are dwindling on Earth needing to mine on the planet of the smurfs. The smurfs have do not utilize these resources but don’t want the Earthlings mining on their planet either so they resist. A decision has to be made, war with the smurfs to preserve yourselves or bow out of existance and let the smurfs be. Obviously War starts, the viewer can choose which side to be sympathetic with, and the lecture can be avoided. That would have made it a watchable movie and much deeper.

Daemonocracy on December 14, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I’m gonna have to hear it on word of mouth that its really good before I see it.

jp on December 14, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I don’t mind politics in my movies, not even conservative politics (just saw Dirty Harry for the first time in years — what a great flick), but I do mind James Cameron in my movies. Even I found the poor=good/rich=bad motif in Titanic to be grotesquely heavy handed. It was like talking politics with an impassioned drunk at a bad party: “I got it. Now, can we change the subject?”

Bleeds Blue on December 14, 2009 at 5:19 PM

CAMERON: Oh yeah. All of my movies are chick flicks. I can’t, I can’t help it. Aliens was a chick flick. So was, so were the Terminator films, you know? And this film is no different because I love strong female characters.

Ripley killed illegal aliens in droves. Sarah Conner was big time pro-gun. So far all his movies have starred conservative women. I guess that’s one difference with this latest movie.

Guardian on December 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Isn’t this just a remake of an NBC miniseries?

thirteen28 on December 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM

You can keep Palin’s appearance on Conan on the front page forever (she looks HOT). but can we get rid of that blue thing?

alliebobbitt on December 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Apologetic California on December 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Rupert will be fine without the money from your ticket. Instead, donate that money to your local VA hospital or other wounded warrior organization.

ScottMcC on December 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM

The nude scenes weren’t bad. :)

darwin on December 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I guess if I were a lesbian-but I can’t remember seeing DeCraprio naked.
Maybe I just blocked out that memory.
The brain does such things in response to trauma.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM

If I want a sermon, I’ll go to church

Then skip this vat of left-wing crap. Not only is it a “a three-hour lecture on war, imperialism, and green awareness”, the 3-D makes you queasy and

IT

IS

LOUD!!

And we only saw the previews! (As my wife points out, the previews are the parts they think will make you want to see the rest.)

Go see “A Christmas Carol” if you MUST see a 3-D film. And, since we get “Senior Matinee Pricing”, I’m taking the wife to see “Blind Side” tomorrow.

oldleprechaun on December 14, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Although I am a quite disappointed he went the environmental preachy route with Avatar, one simple fact remains: This dude makes great movies and I will watch whatever he puts out there. Its guaranteed good entertainment.

In my opinion he is batting 1.000 with films. Spielberg be damned, Cameron has not make a single bad movie. This guy is the best movie-maker of our generation. His “worst effort” was Strange Days and I love it. No filmmaker has the batting average he has.

titus_pullo on December 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I can stand to wait until it hits the bargain bin, myself…

mojo on December 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I hope the studio loses their ass on this nonsense.

echosyst on December 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

mojo on December 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM

It will be available on Graboid within a couple of days of it’s release.

Guardian on December 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

interesting how Drudge isn’t linking any of the reviews showing its a far-left hit piece.

He must be on the marketing payroll for this one

jp on December 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Even though it’s Libtarded, I’m still going to see it in IMAX 3D.

Sometimes it’s good to take off the Political hat and just go out for a movie.

District 9 had some pretty heavy themes, but they didn’t really bother me.

YMMV

RarestRX on December 14, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Apologetic California on December 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

screw Murdoch he is part of the problem

unseen on December 14, 2009 at 5:31 PM

titus_pullo on December 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM

well just on that fact alone he is due for a dud

unseen on December 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Isn’t this just a remake of an NBC miniseries?

thirteen28 on December 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM

the smurfs all grown up!

unseen on December 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM

So, what? Now were supposed to save the planet for the skinny blue people. Cause one day we too might evolve into sexy blue elves. I\’d rather watch a hundred polar bear guzzling Coke commercials.

Heftyjo on December 14, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Oh yeah. All of my movies are chick flicks.

Guess that explains the need for that lesbian eroticism between two designated victims in Piranha II: The Spawning (1981)….

apostic on December 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM

If I want a sermon, I’ll go to church.

Meric1837 on December 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

If this is the sermon at your church, maybe it’s time to join a different church.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on December 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Shoot. I would love to go see Avatar, but I’m washing my hair that day.

rbj on December 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I have been watching more older movies as the years go by. Like John Wayne, even as little as 20 years ago the Political correctness wasn’t as in your face. Action movies were action movies. Like Raiders of the lost ark. Now they rape indy in front of our eyes and make him an idiot. Comedies were actually funny like Abbott and Costello or Tim conway and Don Kots. Now its Scary movie stupid comedy with alot of fart jokes and bathroom humor. Movies before relied on acting, and a storyline now the storyline is whatever the PC correct theme is and the movie relies on nudity and cussing to sell. And for the love of God can someone tell me why in every movie and Tv sitcom you have to have a gay character, a woman character, a white male (usally the bad guy), a black character and a hispanic character? Is this part of the union contract or something?

unseen on December 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I love you, man.

MadisonConservative on December 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I felt the same way after reading this…Now he just needs to do a Sarah-bashing post so I can hate him again ;)

SoxNation on December 14, 2009 at 5:45 PM

This movie looked like crap from the trailers.

I rather watch some DVDs I have like “Patton”, “Up”, “It Happened One Night”, and “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.”
I save money, and my blood pressure won’t go through the roof.

cubachi on December 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM

This trainwreck will run me 15 bucks at a theater in Manhattan

Dude, go with Ace…

… and drink some Mad Dog 20/20 just before you go in!

Seven Percent Solution on December 14, 2009 at 5:50 PM

15$??For that i can go to my local surplus store,and get 2 or 3 video games with better graphics and storyline.

theTarCzar on December 14, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Only one string…we have to get a review.

AUINSC on December 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I’ll pay $5 to get AP to the theater. Least I can do after he linked me for the QotD yesterday…

Nethicus on December 14, 2009 at 5:51 PM

After hearing all there is to hear about this flick, aside from the bang-bang-boom-boom motion-sickness inducing 3D effects and the fact that Roger Ebert practically got all wee-wee’d up giving this thing 2 thumbs and 2 big toes up, I think I will be giving this epic a pass as far as handing over my $9 for the ticket and 3D glasses rental and just wait for the DVD.

There is just something about this film that doesn’t sound like it would be worth handing over 3 hours of my life for.

pilamaye on December 14, 2009 at 5:51 PM

unseen on December 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I actually don’t think there’s enough nudity in movies, so we differ there. And while I share your affection for the classics, I’d suggest that, rather than PC, it’s special effects that have ruined movies. Why bother with a plot when you can just have things explode (or flying smurfs)?

Bleeds Blue on December 14, 2009 at 5:55 PM

not goona see it

and I’m a huge sci-fan, too

pseudonominus on December 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Any word on Avatar’s box office numbers yet?
Just out of curiosity, how much of Cameron’s work is original? It looks like he does a lot of remakes of other people’s work or historical events.

Arbalest on December 14, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Thundercats of Fern Gully.

darclon on December 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Go ya one better:

Captain Planet and the Pocahontas Thundercats of Fern Gully Battle for Terra

in 3D!!!

Movies will never be the same.

somewhatconcerned on December 14, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Nethicus on December 14, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Cool, we’re 2/3rds there…anybody else? Got a paypal link Allah?

AUINSC on December 14, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Bleeds Blue on December 14, 2009 at 5:19 PM

On this, we can definitely agree. Bi-partisanship!

On the other hand, it looks like an effects smorgasboard. They had me at “power armor.” Floating islands are just icing on the cake.

TheUnrepentantGeek on December 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Doughboy on December 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Most of his leading actresses hate his guts and refuse to work with him again.

Blake on December 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Who told these idiots that this is a good marketing strategy? Americans don’t want to go to movies to be lectured.

And I’ve never been prouder of our shallowness.

evergreen on December 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Bleeds Blue on December 14, 2009 at 5:55 PM

well two cases:

The first transformers and the remake of godzilla. both had the best special effects for their time. The transformers actually had a good plot and some good acting. It was probably one of the better films of its year. Godzilla had a stupid plot and some very bad acting.

One was a major blockbuster success the other was a dud. Some can be said with X-men vs the first Hulk remake. Or Iron man vs the stupid Superman remake.

Plot does matter and so does acting.

As far as nudity I enjoy it when the movie calls for it. Just flashing breasts for the thrill when it has no bearing on the movie is what I’m talking about.

for instance an intense sex scene in the middle of a movie on Tiger woods life would be ok. but one in the middle of a movie on Neil Amrstrong’s life would not. Not that he didn’t have sex it just has nothing to do with his life’s accomplishments whereas Tiger’s is and will have a profound impact on his.

unseen on December 14, 2009 at 6:13 PM

And I’ve never been prouder of our shallowness.

evergreen on December 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Well in all fairness to hollywood the Facists and marxist have always used mass media to get their point across. hollywood use to sell the AMerican dream just by showing real life. No lectures where needed when you just showed the avg mall in the Usa as a backdrop in a movie to people waiting in line to buy bread and voodka

unseen on December 14, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Even if it was the greatest movie ever made, I would loathe to see it. One, I hate blue people Detest smurfs. Two, it’s too long.

Blake on December 14, 2009 at 6:20 PM

titus_pullo on December 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM

So you really liked Strange Days then?

Daemonocracy on December 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM

LOL, LOL, LOL. I love you, AllahP. If you weren’t such a beta male, rowr…….

And I’ve never been prouder of our shallowness.

evergreen on December 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Why this chick never goes to movies but once or twice a year….

mjk on December 14, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Bwah ha ha ha ha!!! Have you seen Titanic? It make a metric crapload of money, sure, but it’s a horrid movie.

The continuous yelling of “Jack!!!!” and “Rose!!!” and the idiotic rambling of old Rose… Oy vey.

mjk on December 14, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Strange Days was directed by Kathryn Bigelow. James Cameron is credited with the script, which probably means someone ghost wrote it and he merely attached his name to the project.

Mike Honcho on December 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Hah! Ok now that made me laugh.

elduende on December 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Nba-Player looking smurfs killing white americans. I will just watch some Orlando Magic games.

PrezHussein on December 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Buy a ticket for another movie and sneak into Avatar.

portlandon on December 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Brilliant!

KS Rex on December 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I’m not clicking on the image, thank you very much. I’d rather watch Frisky Dingo and A Charlie Brown Christmas in Blu-Ray, which BHO bumpbed for his snoozer at West Point.

madmonkphotog on December 14, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I can no longer stand any of this homogeneous hi-tech eye candy. It does nothing for me. No matter how much it’s hyped, no matter how excited everyone gets, I see the clips and think meh, more of the same. I got interested in computers back in about 1983, loved video games and graphics and used to fantasize about what it would be like in the future when computers could throw around lifelike 3D models with depth and shading. The first time I saw that classic old computer animation with the two desk lamps playing with a ball, I was beside myself. Wow. Then of course we had Tron, The Last Starfighter, Jurassic Park etc. I think beyond that I realized that yeah, the technical side of graphics isn’t really impressive any more, it’s the artistic merit that counts. And every movie I see clips of I get the same impression – technique over substance, the same style, the same modeling, the same movement. Soulless crap that looks like it was done by a bunch of brainy D&D playing nerds. The same guys who have dominated the computer scene back in the days of the Amiga and the early graphics demos.

This isn’t what movie making is all about. You grow up, your tastes become more subtle, sophisticated and acquired. Whiskey tastes good, Coke not so much. And for the life of me, I would rather sit in the comfort of my own living room with a nice malt watching “On The Waterfront” than see a thousand hours of banal visual bubble gum in a modern movie theater.

Sharke on December 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I’ll wait till it’s out on DVD so I can get it at NetFlix for no extra money.

Mojave Mark on December 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Yeah, we really need more moralizing from Hollywood, kind of the way it did in making GI Joe and internation (UN?) soldier instead of a USGI.

Maybe it will contain the same fake (i.e. digital) imagery of the iceberg melting into the sea that Al Gore’s movie and Michael Moore’s green movie used.

molonlabe28 on December 14, 2009 at 6:52 PM

For a sci-fi film maker he doesn’t know much about the science of scifi, does he?? Pretty much anything you can get in a planet is available in a planet’s solar system. If you can fly to another star, you can certainly figure out how to mine stuff from the asteroids, comets and kuiper objects in that solar system. So unless he’s created “Super Element X” that’s only found on the planet, you can get everything you need from asteroids and comets — and if the planet has “Super Element X” chances are there’s some of it in that solar system.

Did he invent a new biological element you can only get from the planet that cannot, for some reason, be isolated an fabricated by a technological culture that can fly between star systems and create hybrid human-alien clones into which they can download your consciousness as a personality matrix??

EasyEight on December 14, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Thankfully, Real America and their HS edumacations don’t have the $10 needed to see this in the movies. They will be spared.

simplesimon on December 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM

This trainwreck will run me 15 bucks at a theater in Manhattan;

You can still see a movie in some theaters in Alabama for $5.

simplesimon on December 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Thankfully, Real America can structure a sentence properly.

BadgerHawk on December 14, 2009 at 7:07 PM