James Cameron: Oh yeah, “Avatar” has environmental themes too

posted at 4:56 pm on December 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

A three-hour lecture on war and imperialism can be safely skipped, but a three-hour lecture on war, imperialism, and green awareness? Punch my ticket.

I’m almost inclined to go at this point just to see what other fun little messages are in there. Smurf heroine selflessly aborts her baby so that she can return to battle against the evil Marines? Elderly Smurfs gloriously volunteer to forgo medical treatment to conserve precious social resources? This trainwreck will run me 15 bucks at a theater in Manhattan; if I’m going in for that much, I want that train totaled. Click the image to watch.

cam-green

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Thankfully, Real America and their HS edumacations don’t have the $10 needed to see this in the movies. They will be spared.

simplesimon on December 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Shouldn’t your enlightened self be experimenting with little vietnamese boys?

Daemonocracy on December 14, 2009 at 7:08 PM

simplesimon on December 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM

And that would be how Ho’wood and the rest of the left actually does feel about humanity. Thank you for the elucidation yet again, Simp!

Keep your $10, America.

Doorgunner on December 14, 2009 at 7:12 PM

but I do mind James Cameron in my movies. Even I found the poor=good/rich=bad motif in Titanic to be grotesquely heavy handed. It was like talking politics with an impassioned drunk at a bad party: “I got it. Now, can we change the subject?”

Bleeds Blue on December 14, 2009 at 5:19 PM

That reminds me of something funny from this weekend. I was at a bar, and next to me was a single girl who was friends with the bartender, next to her was a single guy.

Everyone was having a good time watching football, and eventually the two of them hit if off. About 5 minutes into a mostly-centered-on-football conversation he starts going off about how evil bankers are ‘soulless’. That was pretty much the end of that love connection.

BadgerHawk on December 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Shouldn’t your enlightened self be experimenting with little vietnamese boys?

Daemonocracy on December 14, 2009 at 7:08 PM

No, simply because such behavior is acceptable among you trailer-based folk doesnt make it ok.

simplesimon on December 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM

simplesimon on December 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Is it fun projecting like that?

BadgerHawk on December 14, 2009 at 7:21 PM

It’ll have to wait till after The Princess and the Frog.

kurtzz3 on December 14, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Whoa guys…

Look, I live in Hollywood, and I am beginning to grasp the mindset. People like Cameron are told all day long how wonderful they are, and it goes to their heads! If people don’t take themselves lightly in this town, they warp out.

James Cameron has come to the epiphany that his mission is to save the world! He just needed a cause! So he took a little Al Gore, Che Guevara, and who knows who else, fashioned himself into their likeness, and voila! Super Hollywoodman! It’s all too typical around here really…

Danzo on December 14, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I’ll skip this dog and wait to see Battle Angel Alita. Cameron may be good at what he does but he’s supposed to be a really nasty jerk to work with/for. Orson Scott Card, who worked with him on The Abyss book, was quoted as saying he hoped Cameron never directed anything he wrote.

Deanna on December 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Gay.

bluelightbrigade on December 14, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I’d rather watch paint dry then give this idiot a dime.

I ***PAY*** to be entertained, not lectured too!

If I want to be lectured too I’ll just dial up my ex.

gdonovan on December 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM

simplesimon on December 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Yet your leader’s safe school czar pushed for teaching fisting to school kids. Obviously it was approved of in your family.

Sit down kid, you are out of your league…

ClassicCon on December 14, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I hope this thing makes “Heaven’s Gate” look like a mega-hit.

Django on December 14, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Ace called this one right. Dances With Smurfs.

newton on December 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Alternate title for Avatar:

Millionaire Lectures People on Greed by Making $200 Million Dollar Movie

SnakeintheGrass on December 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I so want this to flop.

DFCtomm on December 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Whoa guys…

See, this is where you uber-capitalists have screwed things up even for yourself. The idea that markets are moral, wise or just and that those who profit from them are moral, wise or just is simply wrong. Not that people who profit from the market systems are necessarily immoral, unwise or unjust, it’s just that when people start to conflate profit with superiority, people like James Cameron have (after Titanic) about 1.8 billion reasons to think they are more wonderful than you.

Bleeds Blue on December 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM

For “Avatar “, Claymation might have been a better choice.

Considering the MANIPULATIVE level of the storytelling.

profitsbeard on December 14, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Bleeds Blue on December 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM

You people have no idea what you’re talking about. We don’t think the free market system is moral, wise or just. The system has no moral characteristics at all. The system was designed to take advantage of a basic human impulse, self interest, and turn that impulse to the good of society. It has proven again and again to be the only system that has been even marginally effective in lifting the average citizen out of poverty, while the alternatives have created poverty and oppression. Cameron is an ass but he probably would have been an ass regardless of what economic system he is involved with.

DFCtomm on December 14, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Glad I checked the earlier posts:

Expense it…blog research. I want to read the Allah review!

AUINSC on December 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I’ll second that, but better yet, pull the right strings and you can get on the list of reviewers who go to the private screenings.

When you go, try to get a seat near Frank Rich. (And leave his popcorn alone.)

DuffBeer on December 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Howzabout instead of flocking to the box office in droves, we all get together and make this the most expensive crap sandwich Jim Cameron has ever had to eat, instead?

Seriously, why not stay home and play Modern Warfare 2 instead? That sounds like a much better use of my time and money.

Cylor on December 15, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Why spend $10 to have my intelligence insulted? I can get that for free when Rush Limbaugh or Mark Levin go to commercial break and I listen to AP network news, ABC radio news, Zapper “credit special” commercials, etc.

olesparkie on December 15, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Bleeds Blue on December 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Why do you feel the need to lie about everything?
Nobody ever said that markets are moral. They are ammoral. We just object to your sides claims that making money is evil.

MarkTheGreat on December 15, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Markets are not moral, immoral or amoral. They are disintrested.

mojo on December 15, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I’ll skip Avatar, They just don’t look real. Look more like Gumby characters.

The movie I’m waiting to go see is Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood.

BDU-33 on December 15, 2009 at 1:21 PM