Is there a category for “jobs ended” by Porkulus?

posted at 1:36 pm on December 14, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The Obama administration makes plenty of noise about its risible “saved or created” accounting for jobs, but how much of Porkulus goes to ending jobs?   In Iowa, over $43 million in stimulus funds will pay the salaries of outgoing professors in three universities:

More than $43 million of federal stimulus money meant to save or create jobs is being spent on salaries and benefits for outgoing employees by Iowa’s three state universities.

The University of Iowa has directed $33.4 million in stimulus money to the salaries of employees taking early retirement or otherwise leaving the university by June 30. Iowa State University will use $5.9 million and the University of Northern Iowa $3.6 million on the salaries and benefits of employees who took early retirements.

University officials defended their use of the money, saying the one-time cash infusion is wisely spent on temporary costs, as opposed to ongoing expenses that would have to be somehow funded or cut in the future.

“The money truly is saving jobs,” University of Iowa vice president and treasurer Doug True said. “I know that. I believe it to the bottom of my feet.”

And to think that some academics scoffed at the notion of faith-based initiatives in government.  It’s the new religion!  True believes that funding early retirements creates jobs, even if the evidence shows that these universities will have spent tens of millions of dollars to reduce staff.

In other words, the stimulus is funding downsizing. That may or may not be good policy — it probably is — but it isn’t job stimulation.  It’s not even “saving” jobs.  It’s doing what Iowa needed to do anyway, which is to pare down the staffs at its state-run universities.  They didn’t need federal money to do it, either, and this kind of decision-making should have been the norm rather than a crisis response.

Iowa joins the states where media has discovered that “stimulus” means anything but, and that jobs “saved or created” is largely a fable:

Comments

Obama’s

That’s ONE!

marklmail on December 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Early retirement is now a saved job?

Ogabe would do better to outline what isn’t a saved job to cut down on time lost in explanations.

Bishop on December 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Profligate ***tards aren’t they.

For these people money really does grow on
trees.

thgrant on December 14, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I’m shocked Maryland isn’t on the list.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on December 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Can I get some Obama stash if I retire early?

Knucklehead on December 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

“I know that. I believe it to the bottom of my feet.”

He believes it all the way down through his feet. That sounds like the guy I want to put in charges of finances at a major public university.

BadgerHawk on December 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I think the correct terminology for the job category you are talking about, would be Jobs Prevented.

singlemalt_18 on December 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Can I get some Obama stash if I retire early?

Knucklehead on December 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

He has surely already smoked it.

WashJeff on December 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Is there a category for “jobs ended” by Porkulus?

Racists.

portlandon on December 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Hate to defend it, but retirement takes some out of needed positions so others can be placed, and doesn’t allow the retirees to file for unemployment, so won’t boost unemployment numbers… it’s a net gain, in my opinion.

CLaFarge on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

OT: The White House press corp just laughed out loud at Gibbs’ stupid statement on the meeting with bankers. What a maroon!

d1carter on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

He doesn’t have a heart?

darwin on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

My gosh these people are in the ‘fat cat’ category aren’t they?
L

letget on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

how much of Porkulus goes to ending jobs?

The number should tick up in Nov 2010.

WashJeff on December 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM

My gosh these people are in the ‘fat cat’ category aren’t they?
L

letget on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Don’t worry, “climate change” will get them in the end. Academics can’t hunt or gather.

darwin on December 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM

See the glory of the Royal Scam!

forest on December 14, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Hate to defend it, …
CLaFarge on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

You should. Federal money used to fill in budgets of State schools is ridiculous.

WashJeff on December 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Okay, maybe I can give a pass on the “saved” idea here. In early-retiring these people, they have contractural obligations for the payouts. The money would have to some from somewhere. Maybe the “saved” job is the additional person whose layoff didn’t have to happen because required payout money came from elsewhere.

Too generous?

eeyore on December 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Having recently graduated from law school without any job prospects, I credit Obama for helping me find work – as a bankruptcy attorney.

Dead Hand Control on December 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM

darwin on December 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Shoot, they are going to want free refrigerators too.

WashJeff on December 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM

d1carter on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

They laugh at him on a daily basis. Only problem, the so called press corps never reports any of it.

Knucklehead on December 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM

What about funding something like an endowed chair which would target adding temporary faculty on a long-term basis so that they wouldn’t have to hire so many slackers in the first place? What about improving infrastructure to save energy costs?

I’m sorry but for academics, Iowa sure has a bunch of dummies.

highhopes on December 14, 2009 at 1:59 PM

When will the Commonwealths discover this fact?

Tommy_G on December 14, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Why are my federal tax dollars going into the pockets of a bunch of liberal professors in Iowa?

I wonder if they’ll be sending me any thank you notes.

Dear Sucker,

Your government, who spends money like there is no tomorrow, sent me a rather large check so that I can sustain my customary $100K per year, even into retirement. Having done nothing to contribute to the productivity of our nation other than send a few thousand libtard puppetheads out into the real world every year to try and destroy the Constitution and what it stands for, I can’t thank you enough. And you live in Pennsylvania? How incredibly f*cked up is that? I feel like I just won the lottery. Thanks for your contribution, and the extra presents we can now afford to put under our tree this year, and every year.

With heartfelt thanks,

The University Professors of Iowa

fogw on December 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM

And to think that some academics scoffed at the notion of faith-based initiatives in government. It’s the new religion! True believes that funding early retirements creates jobs, even if the evidence shows that these universities will have spent tens of millions of dollars to reduce staff. that global warming is real and due to man’s existence, even if the evidence points to the contrary…

I’ve been thinking the same thing goes for global warming and this was well written, thanks! The same bleeders that scoff at religion and “faith” truly believe in global warming. I know, off topic, but the analogy is the same…

yubley on December 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM

It’s jobs destroyed or prevented, silly!

ParisParamus on December 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM

CLaFarge on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

People not contributing to the economy are people not contributing to the economy, retired or not.

Count to 10 on December 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM

What is needed is a category for jobs endangered by Porkulous, Obamacare, and Cap and Trade or, simply, by Obama.

My scientific research, based on the scientific methods used by the venerable AGW community, indicates the Endangered Jobs number is between 100 and 200 million.

TXUS on December 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Of course all this takes is a belief that good is being done.
Reality is inconsequential.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

it’s a net gain, in my opinion.

CLaFarge on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Still borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.
There’s nothing positive in that scenario.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I’m shocked Maryland isn’t on the list.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on December 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

No way. O’Mally has been repaving perfectly good roads. That’s how we keep the unions humming along. Just don’t ask about layoffs of stateworkers, hiring freezes, cutting commuter services, and anything else that might affect hard-working, productive taxpayers.

I’m sure our increased property, corporate, and sales taxes (and doubled tolls) got chipped in their somewhere to “create” jobs for flagmen.

Laura in Maryland on December 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Damn the torpedoes facts! Full steam ahead!

Liam on December 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Can I get some Obama stash if I retire early?

Knucklehead on December 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

*ack* *gag* *barf*

I’m picturing Geraldo’s mustache. Must you ruin my snack time?

Laura in Maryland on December 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM

What about improving infrastructure to save energy costs?

highhopes on December 14, 2009 at 1:59 PM

In our dinky rural school in SW ND (K-12 students number ~215 kids) they hired an energy savings company to come in & evaluate our buildings & then came up & implemented a plan to save energy by installing various devices etc. to cut down on our energy spending.
In my room there is an air conditioner I asked them specifically NOT to buy a few years before & now that air conditioner has an energy saving device on it that regulates the temp.
I do not use the air conditioner ever, until I have to that is bcs it blocks one of 2 windows in my classroom that I need for ventilation when dissecting.
But lo & behold they never installed anything like motion sensors etc. for lights.
I turn off my lights whenver I leave my classroom, a bathroom, etc.
And yet, they had to hire these guys for tens of thousands of dollars to do NOTHING IMHO.
What a joke.
Your tax dollars at work.

Badger40 on December 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Must you ruin my snack time?

Laura in Maryland on December 14, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I hope that snack isn’t full of calories not approved by government, or anything that causes you gas. And surely no MSG (Madison Square Garden?). LOL

Liam on December 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Doug True said. “I know that. I believe it to the bottom of my feet.”

With a name like True, how could we not believe him?

DrStock on December 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Just think of the martyrdom creds he’d get if he stepped down using some reason like ‘he couldn’t get the job done because of all of the critical wingnuts out here arrayed against him.’ Now that I turn this incredibly fictional idea over in my mind, I plainly see that it is the only way for the Dems to win in any near future elections. Would make a good plot for a book though. The thing is, we’d end up with Joe, for a short time anyway. There’s no one good in that hierarchy.

jeanie on December 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM

“I know that. I believe it to the bottom of my feet.”
He feels it in his sole

jgapinoy on December 14, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Whats’ the MISERY INDEX?

Heard over the weekend,(Greenspan?), said this will all get better when 900,000 temporary census workers are hired!

Now that right there is an economist he out to be head of the fed or something important like that!

No wonder we’re in trouble the clowns are runnin the circus!

dhunter on December 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Spin that one, POSOTUS!

VoyskaPVO on December 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM

A friend of mine told me one way the Government was manipulating “created jobs” by the stimulus package. A Government agency has many temp employees. What happens is that all the temp employees are let go at the agency, reinterviewed, and rehired again. These jobs are now considered “newly created jobs” and CNBC cheers the good news. Then the next Government agency is selected for the same process. That’s what I’ve heard anyway . . .

markytom on December 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM

The aspect I personally resent?

I do not see why gov’t jobs need to be so protected. My career wasn’t.

AnninCA on December 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM

POSOTUS!

VoyskaPVO on December 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM

LOL
*snort*
*chuckle*
*chuckle*

I am soooo stealing that!

Laura in Maryland on December 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM

“I know that. I believe it to the bottom of my feet.”
He feels it in his sole

jgapinoy on December 14, 2009 at 2:33 PM

lol

What about jobs frozen? In VA there are untold amounts of frozen government jobs. We had about 100 job openings at my org before the stimulus…then came the hiring freeze and the postings were deleted. I guess if they ever get put back up those too will be jobs created! I see how this works!

scalleywag on December 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Spoken like a true public-sector employee.

BuckeyeSam on December 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Yea, in my organization they’re saving the government jobs all right, saving them for later.

scalleywag on December 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I do not see why gov’t jobs need to be so protected. My career wasn’t.

I think the only government jobs that are “protected” are political ones. I don’t know anyone in my org who is protected, even ones with tenure.

scalleywag on December 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM

CLaFarge on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

THAT worked out well for GM didn’t it…

Jeff2161 on December 14, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I am retired and will gladly stay that way if it means a job for someone else. Where do I go to collect my stim check?

Kissmygrits on December 14, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Saving jobs by paying people to retire?

So you paid three to retire and are gonna hire 6 to replace em?

You used taxpayer dollars to pay off retirees?

See there’s a dirty little secret here that hasn’t been commented on. The IPERS fund which is the state employees retirement fund is in a shambles, paying only a fraction of the benefits it is supposed to for a “while” until it is solvent.

Just like the Union funds the money isn’t there so they just used some taxpayer money!

Is it legal? Don’t ask the governor he’s a lyin, Dem crook too.

dhunter on December 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM

don’t worry, 60 minutes will be on the story momentarily…or Brian Williams…or Steph…or Tapper?

anyone?

r keller on December 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Wow, so my tax dollars went to funding the retirement accounts of private sector liberal college professors. And this after the Obama Administration diverted billions in theater operational funds for Afghanistan to stateside pork projects even as he’s increasing the troop levels here. Fez tents for everyone!!!

Nice payback for your support of him Academia.

Rush called the whole process the biggest redistribution of wealth of all time. People laughed.

hawkdriver on December 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM

hawkdriver on December 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Political paybacks! Cronyism! Our futures given to other people because we’re too stupid to not see how truly dangerous this movement is.

hawkdriver on December 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Suppose a rich benefactor of the University of Iowa was willing to provide $10 million in order to buy out, for $400,000 each, 25 senior faculty who are largely gathering moss. Each of them currently makes $125,000/yr. I replace them with 25 young faculty who are productive in the classroom and in research. Each earns $75,000/yr. For my $10 million one-off investment I get $1.25 million per year return, a nice 12.5%. Hard to find investments making that much money. In future years I make less as the new faculty begin to work up the wage scale, but still I get something valuable for many years.

One problem: What donor would ever give you money to do this? They like stuff they can put their name on. The Bob Farmer Buyout Plan just doesn’t cut it.

So this might not be the most foolish use of money ever, as it would probably be public dollars used to finance these buy-outs. It might save the public money in the long run (though most of the benefits happen in one state with the costs spread over fifty.)

King Banaian on December 14, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I know that. I believe it to the bottom of my feet.”

BadgerHawk on December 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Odd phrase, eh? Seriously, have you ever in your life heard anyone use this phrase?

Bottoms of feet are VERY significant in the Muslim world. This Obama is one weird guy.

marklmail on December 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM

CLaFarge on December 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Great. So now more universities in Iowa can pay out-of-work grad students, lecturers, and adjunct professors less than minimum wage to teach the same courses the overpriced tenured profs taught.

As a recently underemployed adjunct, I’d like to say how wonderful it is to get paid peanuts, with no benefits, and absolutely zero job security while “emeritus” octogenarians get paid $100k plus just so universities can still list them as members of the esteemed faculty. Thanks, porkulus.

Meezles on December 14, 2009 at 4:08 PM

The governor spent the state of Iowa into a hole and the result was a ten percent acroos the board cut. the colleges have either this:

Or IPERS as retirement funds. Both are in trouble as my step mother collects IPERs and her check has been reduced for at least the next three years in an effort to stabilize the program. There was investment problems with the TIAA-CREF program at University of Iowa prior to the ten per cent governors cut.

Someone with more knowledge than I should investigate this I just remember from the MSM newspapers!

Sounds like a good deal for retiring profs if their funds are depleted to grab some Obama Stash to shore them up!

dhunter on December 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM

“Prevented or destroyed.”

Barnestormer on December 14, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I thought that using government money to fund big, fat retirements was eeeeeeeeeevil.

29Victor on December 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

4 million jobs lost or depleted.

When will this end?