Rasmussen: Obama “passion index” hits new low

posted at 12:00 pm on December 13, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama may have hoped that a resolution to the question on Afghanistan would improve his political standing.  Instead, on Rasmussen’s daily tracking poll “passion index,” he has plunged to new lows on two successive days.  Those who strongly disapprove of Obama’s performance now have 19 points over those who strongly approve, and his overall approval rating has dropped to 46%:

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Sunday shows that 23% of the nation’s voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty-two percent (42%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -19.

Today is the second straight day that Obama’s Approval Index rating has fallen to a new low. Prior to the past two days, the Approval Index had never fallen below -15 during Obama’s time in office …

The 23% who Strongly Approve matches the lowest level of enthusiasm yet recorded. Just 41% of Democrats Strongly Approve while 69% of Republicans Strongly Disapprove. Among voters not affiliated with either major party, 21% Strongly Approve and 49% Strongly Disapprove.

The flight of independents continues, in other words.  They’re more disillusioned than the electorate as a whole, with a -28 on the index and more than a 2-1 showing for strongly disapproving to strongly approving.  Among seniors, it’s -29, and even the under-30 crowd has him at a -2.  According to Rasmussen, Obama has also lost the middle class, noting that his weakest income demographics come from earners between $40K – $100K per year.

This sample includes one polling day on a weekend (yesterday), which normally would have given Obama a boost.  It will be interesting to see what happens by Thursday of next week, when they poll likely voters on three weekdays instead.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I hope they repeatedly say that they inherited this mess from dear leader during his/her entire 1st year in office as well

cmsinaz on December 14, 2009 at 7:13 AM

It is far better to follow a complete screw up than it is to follow a success. The next president will have a clear path for victory and governing following this mess. The only way to go will be up.

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 8:53 AM

dude–drudge is headlining a new low 44% approval rating for the 0ne from rasmussen…..

cue Tom Petty—and I’m free…. free fallin’

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 8:55 AM

That giant sucking noise you hear is a giant sucking noise.

Akzed on December 14, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Rasmussen has proven themselves to one of the best, if not the best,polls for politics because of their reliability, honesty, and respondent construction. Besides these traits, what makes Rasmussen so valued is that they have learned to ask the right questions at the right time. Therefore, trust their results.

Other pollsters appear to be heavily influenced by a political party, and are generated by persons/groups with a point to make and their poll results support their viewpoint. This is like asking yourself, “am I a beautiful person?” while looking in a mirror.

MSGTAS on December 14, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Nevertheless, The One will persevere in the face of adversity…

And plummet to ever-new depths.

This is going to start hurting Mr. Ego eventually.

Track-A-'Crat on December 14, 2009 at 9:32 AM

“Strong opinions” bear out in elections.

Obama’s Atrocities of Fraud How do we FEEL?
Let me count the ways
I rescind thee from the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I impeach thee to the level of everyday’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I rebuke thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I confound thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I despise thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I condemn thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, — I redact thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! — and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death

maverick muse on December 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Obamalot: Mirror, mirror on the wall…

maverick muse on December 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Obamaspasms

Michelle Obama sealed their unpopularity by her unprecedented neglect of the White House Christmas Tree theme that First Ladies respect. How simple would the theme of world peace have been to decorate? Having canceled unalienable rights for US Citizens, the Obama antipathy for “white” doves is met by their elitist spite for goodwill towards human rights.

LOSERS! Green does not tolerate evergreen. And decorating the White House Christmas Tree with any theme was simply inconceivable; easier to ban than to decide. There’s not even a “present” vote for Christmas from the intolerant Obamas. THAT degree of selfishness is simply unforgivable from the White House.

Mr. Potter personifies Obama’s administration, thieving to strangle the likes of the Baileys.

maverick muse on December 14, 2009 at 10:27 AM

cue Tom Petty—and I’m free…. free fallin’

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Dude you stole my thunder. I was gonna say all that stuff.

pseudonominus on December 14, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Dude you stole my thunder. I was gonna say all that stuff.

pseudonominus on December 14, 2009 at 10:32 AM

dude–you need to get your thunder rollin’ just a wee bit earlier!
/s

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 10:33 AM

this is the first job that Obama has ever had where he’s really been evaluated by people who expect results. Prior to this–failed at being an author, failed at being a lawyer, failed at being a professor, and failed at being a student apparently since we can’t see his grades that are probably propped up by some AA “hide the decline” fuzzy math grade inflation that floated his boat to where he’s at now.

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM

exactly, and then he gives himself a B+ (yikes)

cmsinaz on December 14, 2009 at 11:03 AM

jeepers creepers, Ed just barely gets this column out and he has to rewrite it ‘cuz today’s approval rating is like 2% lower than this one.

What’s the 0ne going to blame it on after the “Blame Bush” strategy finally gets tossed aside.

Oh, wait! I know –he’ll scapegoat something else. From another group of frauds that the 0ne ought to know well.

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Passion of the Messiah

faraway on December 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Surely monitoring sites like this will be high on the agenda for our Administration?

And the purpose of leaking this “information” to the Times would be for?

Peoples these polls don’t matter. The Caliph is in da house!!

PappyD61 on December 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM

This is good news.
Couldn’t happen to a nicer, more deserving guy.

The Rock on December 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM

d

cue Tom Petty—and I’m free…. free fallin’

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I wonder how low he will go?

Terrye on December 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

maverick muse on December 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM

That USED to be one of my faavorite poems…*sigh

lovingmyUSA on December 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM

ted c on December 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Jeez, THAT took me back in time!

lovingmyUSA on December 14, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Obama’s going down like a sweet muffin.

PappaMac on December 14, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Given the absolutely fawning media coverage the Messiah gets, this figure is astounding. Could you imagine how big the disparity would be if Obama got the kind of media coverage Bush got?

olesparkie on December 15, 2009 at 7:46 AM