Inevitable: Sanford’s wife files for divorce

posted at 3:57 pm on December 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

An affair followed by sincere repentance might have been forgiven, but once he started babbling to reporters about soulmates and love stories or whatever, the writing was on the wall. Sad:

Jenny Sanford’s statement says: “As so many of us know, the dissolution of any marriage is a sad and painful process. It is also a very personal and private one. Because Mark and I are public figures, we have naturally had less privacy with which to deal with our difficulties than do other couples. Indeed, I know it will soon become known so I choose to release this brief notice that I am now filing for divorce. This came after many unsuccessful efforts at reconciliation, yet I am still dedicated to keeping the process that lies ahead peaceful for our family.

“I remain thankful to so many across this state and nation for their words of encouragement and prayers during this difficult time. Please know the boys and I are doing well and are blessed with the incredible support of friends and family and bolstered by our faith and the unfailing love of our God above.”

Sanford was saying that he held out hope for a reconciliation as recently as, er, yesterday. Via the Right Scoop, here’s Jenny Sanford’s quick yet riveting interview from Wednesday’s “Most Fascinating People of 2009″ special, in which she says she wouldn’t have stood next to Sanford during his freakshow press conference admitting to the affair even if he had asked her to. One interesting note on the timing of today’s divorce announcement: It comes just three days after the South Carolina’s impeachment panel voted not to throw Sanford out of office. I wonder if she purposely waited until that was over with, lest a divorce announcement stir up public opinion against him and tilt the panel against him. If so, then even at this late date and under these circumstances, she was looking out for him.

Comments

I have never understood women like that. In love or not.

upinak on December 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM

He needs to go.

AUINSC on December 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Wow that’s rough, considering all he did was go camping in the Appalachians.

fogw on December 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM

She could probably take Grahamnesty in a primary. 2014, anyone?

Jorge Bonilla on December 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Who cares ?

borntoraisehogs on December 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Don’t cry for me Argentina

Kini on December 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Sanford was saying that he held out hope for a reconciliation

Why? He hasn’t done anything to earn it.

Tommy_G on December 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

He is father to her children and the will need to get along as parents. She’s just being dignified & classy.

rbj on December 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I have never understood women like that. In love or not.

upinak on December 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Maybe having a healthy paycheck, so he can be assured of paying a healthy alimony is more important then revenge, which nets you nothing.

right2bright on December 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

My respect for Mrs. Sanford just doubled.

Now The Governor needs to finish out his term and disappear, or resign & disappear.

portlandon on December 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

That was a great piece. Thanks for putting it up AP, I can’t imagine I would have seen it otherwise. Compelling stuff.

3 points:
I completely get forgive yes, forget no.
30 days without your kids would seem plenty of time to evaluate your priorities.
She still has pain from the event (when asked about soul-mate). Sad.

She sure showed a lot of class through the whole time in the spotlight. All the best.

Spirit of 1776 on December 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

A $3 dollar bill says that Sanford’s girlfriend dumps him in a few months…

right2bright on December 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM

He should just be glad no one had to call 911.

sammypants on December 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Because she is a woman of integrity and class. She wouldn’t engage in a freak show, but she needs to show her sons how she still can behave decently towards the father of her children.

Wethal on December 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM

While my heart goes out to this lady for the humiliation she has had to endure from her lout of a soon-to-be-ex-husband, I do admire her for taking the stand she is taking here, which is more than I can say for the likes of others like Elizabeth Edwards and Tiger Woods wife, both of which have yet to reach the place where they have exceeded their threshold of pain.

pilamaye on December 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

right2bright on December 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I guess men are pettier then women are.

upinak on December 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Gee, I wonder if Max Baucus’ wife will be as fascinating to the SCM.

mankai on December 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Wow. I’m impressed with her. I think one of the Republican presidential candidates should hire Jenny to manage their campaign since she herself doesn’t want to run for anything.

terryannonline on December 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Sad story. Selfishness and stupidity from the XY in that group there.

ted c on December 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

SCANDALOUS!

/msm

LibTired on December 11, 2009 at 4:07 PM

That’s one classy woman. No one would have blamed her had she gone the vindictive route and stuck it to the lying POS every chance she got. She proved she wouldn’t stoop to his level and certainly deserved a lot better than that jaska$$.

Roc on December 11, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Stay away from the Appalachian Trail….that one will never work again.

d1carter on December 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Please, Jenny, run against Lindsey Graham in 2014!!! Or Bob Inglis for his House seat!!!

SouthernGent on December 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Wow that’s rough, considering all he did was go camping in the Appalachians.

fogw on December 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Nice. Now you’ve initiated the Sanford Truthers movement. New motto? “Vi@gr@ can’t melt steel”

TexasDan on December 11, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Tiger Woods has reportedly sent a text to Jenny Sanford. It reads:

“Sup boo. I know you ain’t a skanky ho like the dozens of chicks I been with, but you can come help me hit some balls anytime.”

More details to come…

nickj116 on December 11, 2009 at 4:15 PM

And in more important news, I’ve just added an SL500 to my car collection. Bought it off of ebay sight unseen. This is my third car I’ve bought on ebay.

ThackerAgency on December 11, 2009 at 4:16 PM

right2bright on December 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I believe that Jenny is wealthy without the Sanford, I could be mistaken.

thomasaur on December 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Its not sad. Some people are just not meant to be together. If two people have found they are ‘soulmates’, then go with God. Life’s too short to pretend everything is OK when it isn’t. Could have been more tactful, but that deed is done.

Punditpawn on December 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Sanford should have married Elizabeth Edwards. She’ll put up with anything as long as the fame, power and money don’t stop.

Cicero43 on December 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM

terryannonline on December 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

It would be someone like Palin or Rubio. She won’t do it for fiscal RINOs.

SouthernGent on December 11, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I believe that Jenny is wealthy without the Sanford, I could be mistaken.

thomasaur on December 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Yes, she is loaded. Her great-grandfather was co-founder of the Skil electric power saw company. She was also a high-powered lawyer before she met him.

Del Dolemonte on December 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM

She won’t do it for fiscal RINOs.

SouthernGent on December 11, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Explains Sanford’s affair.

Zing!

lorien1973 on December 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Jenny will not be expecting any paycheck from Mark. She is a wealthy heiress, also was head of mergers/acquisitions at Lazard Frere.

I admire the way she’s handled this. Must be difficult trying to raise 4 sons and teach them the right values in light of their father’s very public shenanigans. I hate men who father a bunch of children and are then just ready to walk out on the family, as he obviously was. (The same goes for women who do this, but that is a less frequent occurrence.)

chris999 on December 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM

She could probably take Grahamnesty in a primary. 2014, anyone?

Jorge Bonilla on December 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Sooner would be great, but I know these things take planning. However, she knows the local apparatus and has Clintonian sympathy on her side.

alliebobbitt on December 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I could be mistaken.

Nah, she’s rolling in it.

thomasaur on December 11, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I believe that Jenny is wealthy without the Sanford, I could be mistaken.

thomasaur on December 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I think you’re right. She was rich long before him

ted c on December 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM

If you wanted privacy maybe you wouldn’t have done all of those interviews.

Bill C on December 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I guess men are pettier then women are.

upinak on December 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

No I don’t think it is petty, by any means…revenge is useful (yeah, skip the “best served cold”), especially against a politician.
Just that with taking the high road, she is the one in power…the attack will come later, she won’t not get revenge, it will just be in another way.

right2bright on December 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

thomasaur on December 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Nope, you are correct. Her family has money. Her family owns Skil tools. Much money.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Cicero43 on December 11, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Funny and sad but true. Her meal ticket is an ambulance chaser that she needs to have out chasing ambulances when he’s not chasin’ skirts. She also needs him to sue the pants off the ambulance that carries her off when she’s sick.

what a position….sheesh.

ted c on December 11, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Bill C

Uh, horse? barn?

chris999 on December 11, 2009 at 4:27 PM

“Its Private. Its Private. Its Private”

I’m sick of these people who think its all private. Every Relationship has an effect on other relationships.

Will Smith, Tiger Woods, and Matthew Brodericks cheating ways have a great effect on relationships in general. Its not Private.

PrezHussein on December 11, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I’m sorry, lady. But your husband is a snake. You are right to divorce him.

argos on December 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM

She could be looking out for South Carolina. She’s a Conservative and knows if Mark Sanford gets kicked out of office, Andre Bauer takes over. Since she’s already endorsed Nikki Haley for next years’ Governors race, she wouldn’t want that to happen.

LibertarianRepublican on December 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM

ThackerAgency on December 11, 2009 at 4:16 PM

You are brave. I hope it continues to work out for you. I am in “I hate cars” mode right now.

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM

So I guess they’re no longer handling this ‘privately’? They BOTH need to STFU and go the F away.

Monica on December 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM

This gal’s a class act.

ncborn on December 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM

This is a private matter. Nothing to see here, move on.

Falz on December 11, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Me thinks,this is no real surprise!!

Consider,telling the wife,your on a trip,and
she finds out,you were busy,boinking your new
girlfriend in Timbucktoo,and your bragging that
she’s soul mate!
—————-

And,after almost 2 days,I’m 404 free!!

canopfor on December 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM

A Lass with class. A governor who is now even more classless!

chickasaw42 on December 11, 2009 at 4:36 PM

And,after almost 2 days,I’m 404 free!!

canopfor on December 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Welcome back to the upper Tier.

thomasaur on December 11, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Classy lady. Not vindictive (at least publicly), but not a pushover either.

Mark? From what I can tell, you chose… poorly.

cs89 on December 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM

She would have done a service to get him impeached. Having him still in public promotes the behavior.

PrezHussein on December 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Bout d@mn time. He would have been kicked to the curb after the sickening “soul mate” statement.

ihasurnominashun on December 11, 2009 at 4:38 PM

ThackerAgency on December 11, 2009 at 4:16 PM

ThackerAgency:Sweet,does the SL fit in the garage,or on
a coffee table!!:)

canopfor on December 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Why are idiots the only people motivated to run for public office?

Not to marginalize the adultery here but, what a mental midget Mark must be. He decides to have an affair with someone half a world away. Then he disappears to go see her drawing tons of attention to himself. Then he starts pontificating on the whole sordid affair.

Dumb guy

watson007 on December 11, 2009 at 4:40 PM

ThackerAgency on December 11, 2009 at 4:16 PM

My ex-boyfriend sold used cars on Ebay. I’m sure there are honest sellers on there, but he wasn’t (isn’t?) one of them.

vermillionsky on December 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM

And,after almost 2 days,I’m 404 free!!

canopfor on December 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM
Welcome back to the upper Tier.

thomasaur on December 11, 2009 at 4:36 PM

thomasaur: I was starting to wonder,if Homeland Security
was curtailing my nasty comments about Hopey!!

Ya,upper tier,I remember that thread,*Shudders*!

Oh and thanks!:)

canopfor on December 11, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I’ve read she even campaigned behind the scenes to the South Carolina GOP not to impeach Gov. Sanford.
Jenny is such a good woman and does not deserve the crap against her and her sons.
She is one classy lady.

cubachi on December 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM

The problem for Mark Sanford is that the mistress only loves him while he’s the married governor of South Carolina.

DaydreamBeliever on December 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I have never understood women like that. In love or not.

upinak on December 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM

And I don’t understand why the Messiah would give His life for a worm like me, either. But things happen and I’m sure glad they do.

platypus on December 11, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Explains Sanford’s affair.

Zing!

lorien1973 on December 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Funny…I see where you’re goin’, but Sanford is definitely not a fiscal RINO. The SC Supreme Court (with the hefty push of racist Jim Clyburn and the drunk (literally) Chief Justice) ruled he had to take the money.

SouthernGent on December 11, 2009 at 4:53 PM

The best thing to happen to Sanford was the Tiger Woods’ scandal.

technopeasant on December 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM

When we hear this talk of ‘reconciliation’ it always appear so fanciful, filled with redeemning rhetoric, and then suddenly it hits you right between the eyes, it’s all about the pillow talk and sexual intimacy, isn’t it?

technopeasant on December 11, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I have never understood women like that. In love or not.

upinak on December 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM

He is the father of her children and she was probably doing what is best for her children rather than what is best for Mark. Trashing Mark, throwing him under the bus, whatever you want to call it…is not good for her children. Regardless of what he has done, he is still their father whom I sure they love…even if they don’t like him very much right now.

ramrants on December 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Had I done what that dufus did to his wife mine would have graciously planted a .357 slug in my head. She doesnt forgive. Thats hot!

faol on December 11, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Anybody in a leadership position that is unfaithful to their spouse should go. That includes all the Democrats that seem to be immune to a higher standard held to Republicans….. by Democrats.

Hening on December 11, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Anybody in a leadership position that is unfaithful to their spouse should go.

Ironically, a view J. Edwards expressed.

Spirit of 1776 on December 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Remarkable woman. I’m sure this is very painful, but I can’t imagine how it could have gone any other way.

Jaibones on December 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Oh, and Mark Sanford is a complete and total douchebag.

Jaibones on December 11, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Cindy Munford on December 11, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I look at it as a hedge against inflation. This car will retain its value and be a good daily driver. Plus I wanted a convertible for this spring. It’s a 1998 with just 65,000 miles. I won the bid at 5500.

Now I gotta ship it here for about 500 bucks and probably spend 3,000 on a rear fender and bumper and have a nice ride. When inflation raises prices, this could go up in value.

ThackerAgency on December 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM

vermillionsky on December 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I figure if you get a good quality car, there is only so much damage that can’t be repaired. Good cars are made to last forever. I’ve got a VERY good mechanic. It could be a bust. But it’s like Christmas and it was on sale. This car will last forever and hold its value.

I bought my Hummer from there and another BMW. I got financing for my BMW and the girl at the credit union laughed when I told her how cheap I got the car. You can get taken by a dealer online or in person.

I get good quality and a ridiculous price. I could lose out, but I don’t think I’d ever say ‘I hate cars’. Cars are sweet! I like taking care of them and seeing how long they will last. I use premium gas and keep them maintained. If you do that to good cars, they’ll last forever. No car payment! w00t! I wasn’t expecting to win, but I’ll take it!

ThackerAgency on December 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Don’t look back. Hillary shoulda bailed but lacked the guts.

BHO Jonestown on December 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Dude was a freakin’ a$$. Power and liberal atheist culture corrupts.

ray on December 11, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I’m torn about the divorce. There are many factors and variables to the disrupted relationship but the wife isn’t totally blameless. Often the man or the woman that had been neglecting the cheating spouse sits on a high horse – emphasis on neglecting.

“I did nothing wrong, she or he did”

What dishonesty … You wouldn’t not leave a starving child to die would you? What about laws for spouse neglect?

It’s in the realm of possibility that she neglected him, that’s all I’m saying. He may have been sexually frustrated, no?

As I once heard, at Thanksgiving time you don’t crave a banana split with nuts on it – when you just finished with Turkey, Gravy, Ham, Dressing, Cranberry, Corn, Greenbeans, Mashed potatoes, Rolls, Butter, and Pies.

O, I’m sorry – he didn’t bring her roses and say sweet things. It’s his fault.

At $125 for delivered roses, 10 times per year that’s over $1,000 just for some intimacy.

Anyhow, one thing is true that family is ripped apart because of 2 selfish parents (or 1). We don’t know the details.

One last point, some people are married for 60 years and only death splits them.

father on December 11, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Enuf is enuf.

He’s a total jerk.

AnninCA on December 11, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Better late than never.

I hear there is a beautiful Swedish blonde who is/was married to some golfer who may be entering the single scene soon. Now that he will be single again soon, perhaps he should check her out.

guest77 on December 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Enuf is enuf.

He’s a total jerk.

AnninCA on December 11, 2009 at 6:01 PM

If only he had killed his unborn kids than he would have been cool.

CWforFreedom on December 11, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I don’t have any opinion, one way or the other.

I think it’s up to the parties involved.

BTw, CWforFreedpom.

I’m not too impressed by his choices to support these kids.

Are you?

AnninCA on December 11, 2009 at 7:02 PM

SARAH/JENNY 2012 !!!!

victor82 on December 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Mark Sanford responds

Governor Sanford then released a statement in response:

“While it is not the course I would have hoped for, or would choose, I want to take full responsibility for the moral failure that led us to this tragic point. Jenny is a great person, and has been a remarkable wife, mother and First Lady. She has been more than gracious these last six months and gone above and beyond in her patience and commitment to put the needs of others in front of her own. While our family structure may change, I know that we will both work earnestly to be the best mom and dad we can be to four of the finest boys on earth.

“I will join with her in asking the press to respect our shared desire for privacy as we quietly move forward. We respectively ask for your prayers.”

SouthernGent on December 11, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Uh, how can you walk away from a “soul mate”?

Funny how that term always seems to imply a need for a romantic relationship with most people. Point is, romantic attraction isn’t necessarily part of the equation as a soul mate can be of the same gender. Without getting into the When Harry Met Sally (oh so deep) discussion, people can form friendships without exchanging bodily fluids…well, I think so anyway.

There again, maybe I’m thinking of “twin souls” or some other sort of New Age thingy…LOL.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM

If so, then even at this late date and under these circumstances, she was looking out for him.If so, then even at this late date and under these circumstances, she was looking out for him.

Most family folks behave like that. When it doesn’t work they prefer to walk away quietly and without causing damage.
I was expecting this from her. She did it in such a dignified manner.

Gov. Sanford,
You are a despicable character.

antisocial on December 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM

He needs to go.

AUINSC on December 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM

GOP men are like bull. They are tough. They don’t quit .. no matter what.

Well, that’s true for all elected officials in 21st Century, Dems or Reps. They cling to their positions like there’s no tomorrow and they will do everything to stay in power regardless of the implications to the governance of the state or nation. Evidence of the astounding corruption and loss of integrity is immaterial to them.

Eeekkkkkkkkk…. I know one politician that is totally an exception to the above SOP …. the name is … tsk tsk tsk.

TheAlamos on December 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM

It amazes me when these public figure men get outed in messy affairs. And then see what beautiful women they are married to. What the hell are they thinking? Obviously, engaging genitals w/o engaging brains. Example of Elliot Spitzer, his wife Silda is a beautiful woman. Tigar Woods’ wife Elin, beautiful woman. Mark Sanford’s wife Jenny, again, a beautiful woman, slim, fit, and a savvy business woman. WTF is with our fellow males? Granted, a woman can put out a beautiful facade and be an absolute shrew to live with but I’d bet that’s an extreme exception. The only exception known publicly would be Billy Jeff and Hillary. It came out what a b-i-zitch she is behind closed doors, but that doesn’t excuse his stupidity and arrogance and abuse of other women. He’s just your basic jerk/moron/idiot. OK, they’re an exception. The others just don’t wash. Sanford, Spitzer & Woods married to beautiful women and they go boinking what? No evidence the other women were anything but bimbos, far below the caliber of their wives. Must coin a new malady…Erectile Stupidity.

Roger Brown on December 12, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Or maybe “Erectile Dementia”.

Roger Brown on December 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Gee, I wonder if Max Baucus’ wife will be as fascinating to the SCM.

mankai on December 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Of course not, but in fairness to the state media a guy flying off to Argentina while saying he’s on a hiking trip does spice up the story a bit.

ddrintn on December 12, 2009 at 12:02 PM

The “soulmate” comment certainly couldn’t not have helped matters, but when Sanford said that he was going to “try to fall in love with his wife again” I suspect that Jenny wrote him off right then and there.

ya2daup on December 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM