PPP: Obama 50, Palin 44

posted at 4:37 pm on December 10, 2009 by Allahpundit

Actually, the real scoop is that Huckabee has crawled to within one thin point of The One at 46/45. But I already teased the good news for him a few days ago, so here’s the Palinistas’ chance to feel encouraged. She trailed The One by 12 points in late October. Six weeks later, thanks to the book tour and the debacle that is ObamaCare, she’s cut it in half.

It’s interesting to note that Huckabee’s share of the Democratic vote is up from 11% a month ago to now 16%, but his share of the Republican vote is down from 87% to 83%. There’s a similar trend in his favorability numbers. Although they’re pretty much unchanged overall from 36/37 a month ago to 35/35 now, he’s dropped from 65% of Republicans seeing him positively to 57% but has increased from 13% to 17% with Democrats. We’ll want to see if this trend continues before making any definitive conclusions, but it appears there’s some possibility the publicity about his commutation of Maurice Clemmons brought a side of Huckabee out in the national spotlight that made him more popular across party lines but less popular within his own…

Palin has her top showing against Obama, trailing 50-44. That’s quite an improvement from March when we first tested the Obama-Palin contest and found her trailing 55-35. What’s interesting is that there’s been almost no change in her favorability numbers over the course of the year. She was at 39/50 then and she’s at 41/50 now. That’s a pretty clear sign the tightening has had little to do with her and almost everything to do with Obama’s declining popularity.

Actually, I think Huck’s numbers are an even better indicator of The One’s sagging popularity. Check out the “not sure” column here:

huck-fav

And then head to head:

huck-o

The fact that he’s pulling 16 percent of Democrats even as a relatively unknown commodity means there’s a lot of unhappy Blue Dogs out there right now. In fact, Sarahcuda, the left’s eternal hate object, does well with Democrats too: She pulls 15 percent, but loses 12 percent of Republicans compared to Huck’s seven.

As for Mitt, he’s hanging in there by trailing Obama by five, but his favorables among Republicans are just 51 percent. Unless and until universal health care is off the right’s political radar, RomneyCare is a ball and chain around his ankle.

Update: Obama/Palin 2012?

Sarah Palin and President Obama don’t agree on much, but last year’s Republican vice presidential nominee just gave the president’s defense of “just wars” a thumbs up in an interview with USA TODAY. In fact, she said that the president’s address in Oslo, where he accepted the Nobel Peace Prize today, reminded her of what she wrote on the same subject in her hugely successful memoir, Going Rogue.

“I liked what he said,” Palin told us in a phone interview. “I talked too in my book about the fallen nature of man and why war is necessary at times.” For Palin, that view strikes close to home: Her eldest son, 20-year-old Track, is an Army infantry member who recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 8:52 PM

point taken

disillusioned on December 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM

At least at HA you can post a difference of opinion and not get banned or deleted, unlike some “blog” sites. I think they welcome discourse. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and thank God we live in a country where we won’t get beaten or our families threatened for saying what we think. Jenfidel is entitled to think that Palin is the best candidate for the GOP and I respect that. I just disagree.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM

BTW, while scalleywag’s comment didn’t contain an ad hominem comment against one single poster, he basically implied that ALL posters here that disagreed with him were ad hominem attacks, which they were not.

I didn’t mean to imply that at all, so forgive me if that’s the way it came across. Someone implied that I must be a troll or a sock puppet, which I am not. Nor am I a he.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM

I respect that. I just disagree.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM

One questions your respect when you can’t come up with one cogent reason why I’m incorrect.

My opinion is informed.
Yours is not.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:11 PM

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM

You may not have meant to imply it, but your words were easily construed that way.

So you’re a woman who’s bitter and jealous of Governor Palin?

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Well, your arguments are good, and because I disagree with you does not mean you are incorrect. I just don’t see her in the same light as you do. To say that my opinion is not informed is false. Do you base that on the fact that I don’t follow her on facebook? That I am not a registered fan of her site? I am informed by reading her articles and based on her news coverage. I don’t base it on what Chris Matthews or Letterman says about her. Give me a break. And no, I have not read her book. I may, though.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:16 PM

So you’re a woman who’s bitter and jealous of Governor Palin?

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Oh that’s rich. Veiled insults are always amusing. I said, in case you missed it, that I admire the woman for her courage and convictions. I don’t think that’s enough to elect a president. Remember, people elected Obama based on his rhetoric and speeches and promises of change. How’d that work out?

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM

My opinion is informed.
Yours is not.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Hmmmm . . . does your information include Palin’s college GPA?

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Why don’t you find a new obsession? All you seem to do at this site is spam Palin threads. That’s creepy.

pseudoforce on December 10, 2009 at 7:43 PM

You first.

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Hmmmm . . . does your information include Palin’s college GPA?

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I could care less about Palin’s college GPA.
She got the degree.

If she’s like me–and she clearly is–most of her education and wisdom has been acquired in the years since her formal education took place.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:24 PM

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I didn’t mean it to be veiled.

Sarah Palin has a record of public service.
She has a resume with experience.
And she has visibly taken a position on current issues in the MSM and Social Media.
Read her Facebook.
Watch her feet and her hands.
This is all she can accomplish right now out of power to oppose Obama’s Far Left Democrat juggernaut of controlling the White House, House and Senate.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Well let’s agree to disagree then. You think Palin is the one. I’m looking for someone more substantial. May the best candidate (who hasn’t shown up yet IMHO) win.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Then I’ll remember you for your insults, not your discourse.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:28 PM

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM

“Substantial” meaning what, besides not being Palin?

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Then I’ll remember you for your insults, not your discourse.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Boo-hoo.
You’ve got to take the bitter with the sweet here at HA.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Watch her feet and hands? Are you serious?

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:32 PM

That has to be the most ridiculous statement I’ve read on HA. Watch her feet and hands. She has a nice hairdo and cute glasses, maybe that should be a factor in basing my opinion.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Substantial: fairly large; “won by a substantial margin”
having a firm basis in reality and being therefore important, meaningful, or considerable; “substantial equivalents”
having substance or capable of being treated as fact; not imaginary; “the substantial world”

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Your candidate is not substantial.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I sincerely try not to resort to ad hominems unless I’m driven to it.

So you’re a woman who’s bitter and jealous of Governor Palin?
Jenfidel on December 10, 2009

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: “argument toward the person” or “argument against the person”) is an argument which links the validity of a premise to an irrelevant characteristic or belief/nonbelief of the person advocating the premise.

disillusioned on December 10, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Watch her feet and hands? Are you serious?

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Now this is a turn of events that I wasn’t expecting.

disillusioned on December 10, 2009 at 9:46 PM

haha, took me by surprise. Maybe he/she has a fetish.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:51 PM

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Probably just a poorly articulated thought. Jenfidel is a good and opinionated poster from comments I’ve read previously. I’ve always enjoyed the Ron Paul thread comments.

disillusioned on December 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Watch her feet and hands? Are you serious?

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:32 PM

What I meant to say is “Watch what she both does and says.”
They are of a piece, i.e. Conservative and successful.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Boo-hoo.
You’ve got to take the bitter with the sweet here at HA.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 9:32 PM

LOL Physician heal thyself.

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I would especially wash my hands if I was eating over at her place, what with the moose guts and such flying everywhere.

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM

LOL Physician heal thyself.

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I’m not complaining, troll king.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I find it curiously intriguing that all the liberal bloggers saying “I really hope Palin runs for President” (snicker) Well I can’t wait till they have to call her “President Palin”

royzer on December 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I’m not complaining, troll king.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 10:32 PM

. . . And it’s a refreshing change of pace. I’ll give it an hour.

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM

royzer on December 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I find it utterly frightening that the left has a clearer view of this loser than the right.

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM

What was Sarah Palin’s millitary service record, again?

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

You know, I’m not sure you are even smart enough to be considered a useful idiot.

Dave R. on December 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Hey, everybody, I think PopTech underwent a sex change!

Dave R. on December 10, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Dave R. on December 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Well, that’s because you’re “a linear-minded guy attempting to navigate [his] way through an increasingly non-linear world.” Let me know when you work your way up to multi-variate reasoning, I’ll give you a few pointers. LOL

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 11:10 PM

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Hey, everybody, I think PopTech underwent a sex change!

Dave R. on December 10, 2009 at 11:06 PM

And you, sir, are an idiot.

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Surely just an affectation. Fingers crossed though.

disillusioned on December 10, 2009 at 11:26 PM

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 10:40 PM

That can’t be right or you Leftoids would realize there’s nothing you can attack Palin about that’s not as bad or worse when you put Obama in her place.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Which brings us back full circle to my first comment in the thread. Ironically, due to the cut throat nature of politics, I doubt the Leftoids will cast the first stone here when thinking of possible primary races. I bet Huck will be the first sell out if given the chance.

disillusioned on December 10, 2009 at 11:49 PM

disillusioned on December 10, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Huckabee is toast after the Clemmons debacle.
I have no idea who’s voting for him in this poll, but it’s no Conservative and/or Republican I know.

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Jenfidel on December 10, 2009 at 11:57 PM

surprised by the poll myself. Substitute Clemmons here with Nadal Hasan and would the polling be as friendly? goes to show the Faux News coverage and treatment of the debacle.

disillusioned on December 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM

voxpopuli, you have asked about Sarah’s GPA and her military service. Think obama, right about now. Along with every other aspect of his life that he has sealed tight as a drum. btw, your screen name is latin for “voice of the people”, I believe. But you really should change it to voxpopulirabidus, or “voice of the crazy people”.

tigerlily on December 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM

lol at my own post.

tigerlily on December 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Substantial: fairly large; “won by a substantial margin”

scalleywag on December 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM

You know, other than observing, I’ve kind of stayed out of this. But you are clearly a troll, a sock puppet, or, just incredibly and completely the most ignorant human being alive.

There is NO more substantial candidate in America than Sarah Palin. We have had no more substantial a candidate in America since Ronald Reagan.

You could line up every other politico in America, in BOTH parties and add up their “substantial” all together, and it wouldn’t match hers.

Lets see loser. Your “won by substantial margin” Well,every single election victory she has ever had was won by a landslide.

She won her first office, a seat on the city council by a landslide.

She won both terms as mayor by huge landslides.

When she was elected Governor, she won the 3-way Republican primary with over 60 percent of the vote. She won the general against a popular former democrat/communist Governor in a landslide.

The fact is, every single election she has ever won was a blowout.

As Governor she had approval ratings in the mid-80’s right up until Obama’s thugs took up residence in Alaska. She was by far the most successful Governor in America, and the most popular.

That’s a tough nut in Alaska, as most voters are independents. They are very proud of it too.

Lets see, she took down major corruption in her own party. When she served as the state’s chief energy regulator she found corruption, and eventually resigned when the Governor wouldn’t take action. As a private citizen she took the whole mass down. Some still sit in prison.

As Governor she balanced budgets, reformed government, and of course you have AGIA, the largest construction project in North American history. That’s her baby, and no one else’s.

You have no earthly idea what you are talking about. And you obviously either don’t care to, or don’t the mental capacity to learn more.

You making me tired with this nonsense.

Sarah’s record is very public. In fact, pretty much everything she does is public.

gary4205 on December 11, 2009 at 1:00 AM

gary4205 on December 11, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Now that post is what I call substantial.

tigerlily on December 11, 2009 at 1:11 AM

You making me tired with this nonsense.

lol

disillusioned on December 11, 2009 at 1:32 AM

tigerlily on December 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Why tigerlily. Thank you for making my point, namely, that setting left/right ideology aside, Obama and Palin are basically the same politician — empty suits who know how to rouse their particular brand of rabble.

voxpopuli on December 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM

voxpopuli on December 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Palin’s record in public office shows that she’s anything but an empty suit!
She is the anti-Obama, which explains why she is so wildly popular.
And as the ObamaNation limps along, her popularity will continue to grow.

Jenfidel on December 11, 2009 at 6:23 AM

pseudoforce on December 10, 2009 at 7:43 PM

You first.

voxpopuli on December 10, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Ah, witty! But then I’m not the one posting 300-some-odd snarks at every Palin thread, so don’t really see what your point could be. Not that there has to be one, of course. Don’t want to expect too much of you, I know your range is quite limited.

pseudoforce on December 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM

voxpopuli on December 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Name one thing Palin would want to take away from you.

darwin on December 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM

tigerlily on December 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM

voxpopuli on December 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM

No, voxpopuli, the point I was making was summed up brilliantly by gary 4205; he did a much better job than I, so I am sending you a cc. See below:

She won her first office, a seat on the city council by a landslide.

She won both terms as mayor by huge landslides.

The fact is, every single election she has ever won was a blowout.

You making me tired with this nonsense.

gary4205 on December 11, 2009 at 1:00 AM

tigerlily on December 11, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Sarah has to convince a lot of people about her credibility.

She has 3 years to do so.

Not a bad running start.

AnninCA on December 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I like the RCP admission that they have been trying everything they can to hide the decline… Well they didn’t actually admit it. But that’s what I’ve been saying for months… and now the headlined an artcle that way! Too funny. And really they have no excuse to include Bloomberg in any average.

petunia on December 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I must say that if the choice is Palin or Huckabee… Palin wins in hands down. But I still question her experience. I wish she had more experience.

petunia on December 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM

voxpopuli on December 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Hardly. I can’t imagine anyone more diametrically opposed to Obama on every issue, up to and including love of country.

Oh, and you are an empty bladder.

tcn on December 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM

voxpopuli on December 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Not quite. Palin definitely has some creepy and/or braindead fans, but what presidential hopeful hasn’t?

There several true differences:

Palin actually governed a town and then a whole state before she quit. How well is up for debate, but she did. Obama has never been much more than a seat-warmer and puppet for his entire ‘career’.

The whole Trig-pregnancy kerfuffle, while a big fat question mark, really does nothing in the end that would legally disqualify her from public office. Obama’s ever-elusive birth certificate, however…

I have yet to see Palin’s fans practicing any meaningful amount of thuggish behaviour on their opponents, and keyboard commandos don’t count.

Palin’s fiscal gaffes are purely from incompetence. Obama and company are Marxist-loving sleazeballs who’d love nothing more than to have the entire US economy answer to their whim.

Dark-Star on December 12, 2009 at 12:01 AM

tigerlily on December 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM

voxpopuli on December 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM

She won her first office, a seat on the city council by a landslide.

She won both terms as mayor by huge landslides.

The fact is, every single election she has ever won was a blowout.

You making me tired with this nonsense.

I admit that, just like Barack Hussein Obama, Sarah Palin refuses to provide her college transcripts.
gary4205 on December 11, 2009 at 1:00 AM