Planned Parenthood: “That’s not a baby growing inside of you”

posted at 2:20 pm on December 9, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Live Action has a new series of videos that launches today called the Rosa Acuna Project. Their new effort aims to expose manipulation by Planned Parenthood counselors intended to pressure women into having abortions, or at the very least, provide dishonest information to support false rationalizations for the procedure. In this clip from the Appleton, Wisconsin clinic, a counselor tells the woman that what’s growing inside her uterus isn’t a baby at all, or “anything like that” — and the doctor agrees:

In the undercover video, when the two women ask a Planned Parenthood counselor if the pregnant woman’s 10-week-old unborn child has a heartbeat, the counselor emphasizes “heart tones,” and answers, “Heart beat is when the fetus is active in the uterus–can survive–which is about seventeen or eighteen weeks.” On the contrary, embryologists agree that the heartbeat begins around 3 weeks. Wisconsin informed consent law requires that women receive medically accurate information before undergoing an abortion.

The counselor then says, “A fetus is what’s in the uterus right now. That is not a baby.” Dr. Polhaska, the abortion doctor, insists, “It’s not a baby at this stage or anything like that.” Polhaska also states that having an abortion will be “much safer than having a baby,” warning, “You know, women die having babies.” …

The investigation is organized by Live Action, a nonprofit student group. Lila Rose, the 21-year-old UCLA student and Live Action president, says medical lies and manipulative counseling are routine at Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion chain.

“They will do or say anything in order to sell more abortions to more women, whether it is covering up sexual abuse or lying to women about medical facts,” says Rose. “Our team has visited dozens of Planned Parenthood clinics undercover. Planned Parenthood, while claiming to support patient self-determination, operates with an ‘abortion-first mentality.’”

The explanation of “heart tones” is particularly dishonest. The counselor says it can’t be a heartbeat because the baby clump of cells isn’t viable, but that it becomes a heartbeat at 17-18 weeks.  But a child isn’t viable at that point, either.  It does come closer to corresponding with the legal limitations of Planned Parenthood’s abortion services, however.

As for a fetus not being “anything like” a baby, well, that’s hardly a shocking statement coming from PP, but it does demonstrate the depths of deception to which they’re prepared to plunge to rake in that abortion cash.  Of course it’s a baby growing inside of the uterus, one with its own DNA and independent biological functions that start within minutes of conception.  Unlike global warming, the science on human reproduction actually is settled.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

What is it, then? A puppy fetus?

kingsjester on December 9, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Good grief. Straight-up, bald-faced lying. Reprehensible.

Edouard on December 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Sick and twisted. No other way to look at that.

4shoes on December 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

*cringe*

God cannot be happy with us.

turfmann on December 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Evil.

Cicero43 on December 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

And if you come in later in your pregnancy, deliver a baby and find that its got a disability, PP will arrange for a nice closet into which the baby can be thrown until it dies.

Bishop on December 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Kibbitzing on definitions.
OK-so all politicians are fetuses.
LEt’s abort Congress.

Sheez. How evil can people get?!
When I went with my daughter to hear her 10 week old ‘fetuse’s’ ‘heart tones’, it was an amazing thing.
So it isn’t a viable human being bcs it can’t survive outside the womb?!
OMG what POSes.

Badger40 on December 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Repost: Just the Facts

Shy Guy on December 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

turfmann on December 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

agree

cmsinaz on December 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

A famous phrase about “a special place” springs to mind.

LibTired on December 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Bishop on December 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I know maybe I shouldn’t LOL at that, but I almost did-and cried at the same time.
Honestly, I see it happening.

Badger40 on December 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I weep.

SouthernGent on December 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM

At approx. 28 days after conception, the heart begins to beat and blood begins to flow. That’s long establish Obstetrics gospel.

Abortion = BIG bucks. Follow the money.

locomotivebreath1901 on December 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Out, damned spot!

The Ugly American on December 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Good to see the left respects science.

theCork on December 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM

God cannot be happy with us them.

turfmann on December 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I am in no way part of this.

Badger40 on December 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM

This is just sickning. I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks when I was pregnant with my second child. I saw the heartbeat. This is just sickning.

Brat4life on December 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM

It’s frightening how many don’t know any better than this and believe it (or want to believe it). Back in the day I used to teach natural childbirth and I was always shocked how little people knew about how they got preggers (beyond the obvious) and about fetal development. No wonder they fall for these lies.

How many circles of hell are there, again?

Bob's Kid on December 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Mmm hmm. Special place in Hell waiting for these people. Wow.

Battlecruiser-operational on December 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM

The science of global warming, applied to early childhood.

unclesmrgol on December 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Honestly, I see it happening.
Badger40 on December 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Hey, if President Ogabe doesn’t have a problem with treating “burdensome” babies as trash, why should average citizens?

Don’t ask him directly about it though, answering is above his paygrade.

Bishop on December 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Another reason why we need to start teaching Latin in school again.

CurtZHP on December 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM

God has a plan for the planned parent hood bunch.
Don’t pack a bunch of sweaters. Thats the only travel tip I am going to give you today.

Old Texan on December 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Please people. If the abortionist has no problem dismembering a live human being–and who knows the baby is sentient–that person is not going to have any problem lying.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on December 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I wish Lila Rose were my sister. She’s just spectacular.

Abby Adams on December 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

To you hateful baby-murdering libs:

I used to be one of you. I was one of you when my bride came to me and told she might be pregnant. I told her we couldn’t a kid, so she’d have to abort.

A week later, she came home and said she was pregnant for sure. I had to make a decision right then and there.

That decision is my 29-year-old son, who has a lovely wife and my perfect second granddaughter, who is 17 months old.

You baby-murderers will never know the beauties of life. You will never know the Majesties of Who God is.

Keep your sick demented politics and mock me all you want. You can’t hurt me. I rather cling to my God and keep His blessings of children and grandchildren.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Oh Yeah, you’re just pregnant with excess fetal tissue. Nice try, baby killers, but your top man, Obama has already killed all your phoney arguments about when a baby is a living human when he argued to kill them after they’re out of the womb, based on his new Harvard Law School deceit of “intent” replacing that silly choice. He failed to tell us how long after the baby’s been born that the right to kill it under intent continues.

Don L on December 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Nazism at it’s finest………
repugnant, disgusting, foul, perverted, lying mo fo’s….
honest to god…i have less that zero sympathy for these people….none….
they get what they get and deserve it…
i will never shed a tear for abortionists…..never

JJKRN on December 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM

this saddnes me.

deidre on December 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Remember the President of the United States of America doesn’t want his daughters to be “punished” by having a baby.

Johnnyreb on December 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Planned parenthood and acorn are one in the same…..

SHARPTOOTH on December 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

How many circles of hell are there, again?

Bob’s Kid on December 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Don’t worry, there is a place in Helheim called Nastrondir reserved for them.

Holger on December 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

“…women die having babies…”

It’s a miracle any of our mothers survived at all, apparently…

Kensington on December 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

This is all head games. Just like that “brave/strong” video Wilkow had on his show from that clinic. They can’t acknowledge its a child. I doubt any of them would be doing this if they actually did. They couldn’t live with themselves.

liquidflorian on December 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

These people are sickly perverted by the grotesque “abortion debate” this country has been having for 40 years.

“Privacy”, “choice”, “heart tones”, “clump of cells”, these are all buzzwords of death.

Brian1972 on December 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Libs are people full of hate, those who seek only to destroy. All in the guise of ‘caring’

I hate libs with the passion with which I love my children and my granddaughters.

I’d easily and willingly give my life a thousand times over for my son and daughter, their spouses, and my granddaughters.

But wait! GF, simon, and all the other libs here will attack me for not saying a MILLION times. And if I said ‘a million’, they’d b*tch I didn’t say ‘ten million’!

See what I’m driving at about the baby-murderers?

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Why don’t they just quote directly from the Constitution where it describes when it’s a fetus and when it’s a baby? Our founding fathers covered that didn’t they, along with government subsidizing the cost of abortions.

fogw on December 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM

It’s a miracle any of our mothers survived at all, apparently…

Kensington on December 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Anyone who has an older brother or sister owes their life to such miracles…

Steve Z on December 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM

On the bright side, it appears this issue is not above the good doctor’s paygrade.

LibTired on December 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Come on, AnninCA, defend this crap. You always write that you want to preserve the right of a woman to choose. Is this what you want? Misinforming a young woman regarding “a clump of cells?” Do you consider this an “informed choice?”

*applauds the morality*

mossberg500 on December 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The Nazis also claimed that the Jews were not human as well.

stackedeck on December 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM

It’s a miracle any of our mothers survived at all, apparently…

Kensington on December 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM

And if we just kill all the mothers and potential mother, we wouldn’t have to worry about abortion, would we?

Just ask any lib who posts here.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM

REDRUM,REDRUM!

faol on December 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM

And to prove it, we are not going to give you an ultrasound.

Spirit of 1776 on December 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

It does appear that PP tries very hard to convince women that abortion is little more than flushing out an “inconvenience.”

Anyone know the cost of a PP abortion?

katiejane on December 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

We are such despicable creatures.
Some more than others.

YoungAmerican on December 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Saddening.

A nation without hope indeed.

Goody2Shoes on December 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM

“You know, women die having babies.”

Yes they do. Current maternal death rate in the U.S. is about 8 per 100,000. So lady, you need this abortion to avoid your 0.008 chance of death by delivery!!!

/sarc

cs89 on December 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM

So we can now abort Congress. Woo Hoo.

faol on December 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I dare any lib troll to tell me I made the wrong decision.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Anyone know the cost of a PP abortion?

katiejane on December 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I do.

A baby’s life.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM

OK geniuses at PP, then what is it exactly? Something other than homo sepians?

Lila Rose is the original James O’Keefe and Hannah Giles, playing gotcha with the left because they are so gullible.

They are levels above M. Moore because they give it to you straight.

thebrokenrattle on December 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Hide the baby.

LibTired on December 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM

“It’s not a baby-baby.”

- Dr. Whoopi G.

red winger on December 9, 2009 at 2:54 PM

You know, I used to be pro-choice (as I call it now pro-murder). But when I saw a heartbeat in my son at EIGHT WEEKS, I was a changed man. If you see your own child or someone else’s struggling to live, and you still think abortion is not murder, then you are either immature or evil. Or both. This is why those on the pro-murder side are usually unmarried and childless, they’ve never grown up.

Andy in Agoura Hills on December 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Like Hitler’s Nazis, libs are ALWAYS willing to kill off the weakest among us.

Their concept of ‘love’.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Someone should notify PETE and get them to protest.

People
for the
Ethical
Treatment
of
Embryos

faol on December 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Again, I challenge all libs to tell me I’m wrong.

Grow Fins? simplesimon? Bleeds Blue?

Where are you?

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM

God cannot be happy with us them.

turfmann on December 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I am in no way part of this.

Badger40 on December 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Point taken. Being here in Massachusetts I don’t know if I’ll be able to get out of the way of the lightning bolt.

I figure I’d be safe with in a few hundred yards of Trig Palin, though.

turfmann on December 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM

And if you come in later in your pregnancy, deliver a baby and find that its got a disability, PP and 0bama, will arrange for a nice closet into which the baby can be thrown until it dies.

Bishop on December 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM

FIFY.

Rebar on December 9, 2009 at 3:00 PM

10-week-old unborn child

Its the only way these fools can sleep at night.

canditaylor68 on December 9, 2009 at 3:00 PM

And to prove it, we are not going to give you an ultrasound.

Spirit of 1776 on December 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Exactly, one only need listen to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from these people at the mere suggestion that an ultrasound be required to know all you need to know.

Informed choice my big toe

Renae on December 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM

And people wonder how a loving God could unleash the plagues and devistation promised in the Bible that herald the Second Coming of Christ – its because WE DESERVE IT!

Fatal on December 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM

And you’re not a doctor.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 3:02 PM

And to prove it, we are not going to give you an ultrasound.

Spirit of 1776 on December 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Exactly, one only need listen to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from these people when the mere suggestion that an ultra-sound be required before an abotion to know all you need to know.

Informed choice my big toe

Renae on December 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Fatal on December 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Not all, Friend. God stays His Hand because of people like us.

We’re safe. The Majesty of Creation has our back.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Did anyone else notice the snide and impatient tone of the doctor when he had to answer questions?

Renae on December 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM

The morality of abortion aside, I think it is widely accepted in the United States that a doctor is responsible for fully informing a patient about a procedure and any potential risks before the procedure is performed. That responsibilty increases when the procedure is a surgical one that has an increased risk of death.

This is a gross violation of that responsibility (and, in this case, legal obligation). The doctor gives the patient false information and says that child birth is dangerous while implying that abortion is perfectly safe.

If this were a video about any other procedure besides abortion, it would be on the nightly news and everyone would be demanding that the doctor lose his license. The fact that people think this is o.k. because it’s abortion instead of a tonsillectomy or a tummy tuck is ridiculous.

JadeNYU on December 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM

What does he claim it is, exactly? A f*cking armchair??

Scott P on December 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM

It’s a blob – of cash.

The Zoo Keeper on December 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I think we’re ignoring the real story here: who made this undercover video, do they have any skeletons in the closet and can they be charged with a crime for doing this?

/MSM spin

Kensington on December 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Some time ago my sister-in-law came to my wife and I and told us she was pregnant. She went to Planned Parenthood. They told her that it was mere tissue, but would NOT let her see the screen of the sonogram, which she specifically requested. The counselor told her, and I quote, “White trash have babies, smart women have abortions.” I kid you not. She was devastated.

In spite of all this, she decided to keep the baby. The father, having found out, dumped her because she wouldn’t abort. Another doctor’s office told her the baby was farther along than she expected… farther along than what Planned Parenthood told her.

Anyway, my nephew is now 12, and no one can imagine life without him… even his father.

Planned Parenthood is flat out evil.

Daddy-O on December 9, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Look Barry, a “greedy doctor”! What’s that, you’re busy and can’t talk right now? Very well, then…

LibTired on December 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM

The morality of abortion…
JadeNYU on December 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Not to give you a hard time, but there’s NO ‘morality’ about abortion.

People are murdering babies, or they’re not. End of story.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM

What is it then? A sea-monkey?

Track-A-'Crat on December 9, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I just had an ultrasound last week. At that point I was 9 weeks along in my pregnancy, and it was incredible to me just how obvious it was that the little tiny baby inside me is human. The heart was clearly beating, and the cute little guy/gal was already moving around testing out his/her budding limbs! I actually almost cried as I watched it and thought how many people in the world are trying to convince us that something so miraculous is just a clump of cells of no value. It’s truly disturbing.

Eclectic on December 9, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Funny–Obowma whined about doctors cutting off feet but he ignored the mass murder of unborn infants.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I had my first child at 27 weeks gestation, or 3 months early. She was a baby when I had her, and now she is a 14 year old with a 4.0 GPA.

Then again, that’s probably just anecdotal. In fact, my baby was probably the exception to the rule that you’re not carrying a baby when you’re pregnant… if it’s not yet full term.

Good Lord, what do they think it is? Jell-o until it pops out fully formed.

Evil. Stupid. And Sick. What a combination!

UnderstandingisPower on December 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Again, I challenge the libs who post here to debate me about my children and my granddaughters.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Pardon my language…but what the HELL?!?

Left unmentioned is that having a baby is much safer than having an abortion…..FOR THE BABY.

And the person saying that is a doctor? Is that the “doctor” from The Simpsons?!? Criminy.

JohnTant on December 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Never doubt the existence of Satan. He lives and breathes inside these PP vermin, just as he did inside Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and other tyrants and mass murderers.

If you can kill a baby, fetus or whatever you want to call them — or if you can harm a child, your soul has died and there is no evil you will be incapable of.

And you belong in Hell, for eternity.

TXUS on December 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM

locomotivebreath1901 on December 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Exactly right. Abortions are about the money, nothing more or less. What I find so ironic is the fact that a majority of abortions are by black Americans. Eugenics theorist Sanger would be proud that her ideas are being implemented.

catlady on December 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM

JadeNYU on December 9, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Playing Devil’s advocate for a minute…

A doctor may completely avoid the moral considerations completely, assigning no more relevance to the fetus than he might to your liver or kidney, just another undifferentiated mass of cells impeding the proper function of the host, a disease that needs to be cured. Please be sure to stop at the receptionist’s desk and pay your co-pay. Thank you.

Now that I’ve finished playing Devil’s advocate, I’m going to shower.

turfmann on December 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

It’s a blob – of cash.

The Zoo Keeper on December 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM

That’s funny.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on December 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Eclectic – congratulations, great news.

Track-A-'Crat on December 9, 2009 at 3:15 PM

/PP: Fetus sounds like feces. That’s what you have inside of you. Abort, excrete. Nothing could be more natural./

Not funny. But that’s how it’s meant to come across. “Deep down you know you want to get rid of this before it becomes a bigger problem than it already is. That’s what’s growing inside of you, a big problem that you just don’t deserve.”

Deserve’s got nothing to do with it.

maverick muse on December 9, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Yeah, Eclectic, best of luck to you.

catlady on December 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM

And you belong in Hell, for eternity.

TXUS on December 9, 2009 at 3:13 PM

The libs who think themselves so ‘enlightened’ are going to be in for a terrible surprise.

Liam on December 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Just think how foolish we’ve been for all these years, saying “I’m going to have a baby!”. NOW, we know it’s nothing of the kind….Sooooooo, all you youngsters out there – enjoy yourselves in the sack, knowing that when that sperm fertilizes that egg, it won’t result in a BABY or anything like that.

/sarc off

GoldenEagle4444 on December 9, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Bearing in mind how aggressively Democrats hound every potential voter group there is, I’m surprised that they’re actively killing off one (even though it does preserve another of their blocs).

Who knows, they could even reverse the history of abortion, as they have successfully done with the history of race relations, and claim in the future to be the party that represents everyone not aborted out of existence.

Track-A-'Crat on December 9, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Eclectic – congratulations, great news.

Track-A-’Crat on December 9, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Thanks, my husband and I are awfully excited for our son to have a sibling. :0)

Eclectic on December 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM

This is a sidebar, but what really chaps me is that organizations like Susan G Komen give money to PP. Even though it is a medical fact that abortions increase the incidence of breast cancer, local Susan G races still give a bunch of money to their PP chapters. That is just so sick.

catlady on December 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM

…..Your money will fund murder too. Lot’s of “splainin” to do.
So if you don’t fight this until you can no longer fight will you receive the same justice….or will we all say, well don’t blame me, they said it was cool.

nondhimmie on December 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Abortion – Because You’re Worth It.

Track-A-'Crat on December 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I consider myself to be pro-choice on the legality of abortion but this type of thing makes me so irate. How can clinics get away with this? They need to be told it is a baby, point blank.

I agree with almost every restriction that the pro-life movement wants to enforce on abortion yet I am pro-choice. The irony is that even though I have my stance I would support a pro-life cause because of this reason. Ultrasounds, sidewalk counseling, parental notification are things that would help women make a better decision. Studies show that over 99% of the abortions are a form of birth control (i.e. unwanted pregnancies). Incest and rape account for less than 1%.

The other thing I hate is the use of certain words or phrases to paint a better picture of the abortion, “fetus” or “heart tone” or “terminate the pregnancy”. Is there such thing as a pro-life/pro-choice movement like me? Either way I will give my money to pro-life groups any day. Planned Parenthood or its ilk will never see any of my money.

closetgop on December 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Hey, remember earlier this year when Judy Blume was singing the praises of Planned Parenthood on Mother’s Day? Somebody send that twit “Dr.” Polhaska’s contact info, will you?

JohnTant on December 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM

As the father of a special 22 year old daughter and grandfather (by marriage) of a wonderful 2 year old who was born 6 weeks early (almost killing him and his diabetic mom), these cold blooded killers make me so mad I can’t see straight. And now Mr. President and the idiot Congress want us to pay for killing babies? They have lost any moral compass they ever had.

kingsjester on December 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Hmmmmm……

And our resident trolls are always telling us that it’s the pro-lifers who lie all the time.

CDeb on December 9, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Abortion – Because You’re Worth It you cost too much. We need the money to send to the DNC.

Track-A-’Crat on December 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM