Obama warns GOP: Stop trying to frighten Americans about my policies

posted at 8:58 pm on December 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

The highlight, or lowlight, of today’s rare bipartisan meeting with Congress on the economy. Consider that progress: Remember, this is the same guy who once invited “the folks who created the mess” (read: Republicans, and only Republicans) to stop talking and get out of his way.

President Barack Obama told House Republican leaders to “stop trying to frighten the American people” even as he and Democrats said they see a possibility for bipartisan cooperation on job creation legislation.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) told reporters that Obama made the admonition during a bipartisan meeting at the White House on Wednesday, producing a chart to show Republicans that “things are a lot better.”…

House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) pushed back on Obama’s request for an end to Republicans’ scare tactics by saying that Obama’s policies have led to a hiring freeze, and the GOP is simply telling constituents what is happening.

“[E]mployers are sitting there and they’re frozen because they don’t know what’s really going to happen here,” Boehner said. “And the president wants to blame us for informing the American people about what’s happening here and how it will affect them, but it’s not what we’re doing; it’s the policies that they’re promoting here in Washington.”

Remember when he made this same accusation about health care? It’s amazing how effective he seems to think the GOP is in shifting public opinion considering that every last poll taken this year shows congressional Republicans less trusted and less popular than both congressional Democrats and The One himself. But never mind that. Since he wants to talk about fearmongering, riddle me this: Is there any domestic initiative undertaken by the White House thus far that hasn’t been premised explicitly on looming catastrophe? The stimulus was needed to defibrillate a dying economy, requiring $787 billion to be pushed out the door ASAP; ObamaCare had to be taken up right away because, supposedly, the health-care industry is in a “crisis” that can’t wait another moment to be solved (remember, he wanted a bill passed by August, before any debate had taken place); cap and trade is coming soon because if we don’t dial down emissions immediately, we’ll pass a climatic “tipping point” and the planet will melt. In fact, the only policy items he’s acted on with less-than-peak urgency are … Iran and Afghanistan, one of which he dithered over for months and the other of which he’s still dithering over. I guess there’s, ahem, less to be frightened about in those two cases.

Exit question: Does he seriously think it’s the GOP’s fault that Americans are terrified about the economy? Or is he just doing what he does best?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

There is nothing more gut-wrenchingly terrifying than the prospect of Obama flying off to Copenhagen.

The healthcare gyrations are bad enough, but the whole EPA/Copenhagen thing is the real deal.

I hope, wish, pray that the GOP can take back the House next year, just on the off chance they might show enough guts to bury Obama’s EPA in craprains of subpoenas.

JEM on December 10, 2009 at 3:34 AM

JEM on December 10, 2009 at 3:34 AM

Stop coming up with wackie frightening policy’s!

DSchoen on December 10, 2009 at 3:41 AM

Tyrants of all kinds, have never liked Truth.

Army Brat on December 10, 2009 at 5:15 AM

dear leader must think he has the biggeset cajones this side of the mississippi to say this crap AGAIN
jeez!

cmsinaz on December 10, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Gosh, Obama, you ask why? Becaus we’ve heard a similar sales pitch back in the 1930s

Why is everyone so excited about nothing, I’m just taking back the Sudentenlan? You people are scaring Europe for nothing. Stop being so evil.

Don L on December 10, 2009 at 6:34 AM

“I hope, wish, pray that the GOP can take back the House next year, just on the off chance they might show enough guts to carpet-bomb Obama’s EPA in subpoenas.”

Why just the EPA? Try every czar, Al Gore, Hillary’s $6 million dollar payoff, every ACORN person alive, a few generals, the entire state dept, drug companies, GE, it’s a long list just to scratch the surface of this travesty against freedom.

Don L on December 10, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Message to Bozo: You’re the one scaring people. We’re just telling the world what you’re doing and exposing your LIES.

Which seem to be escalating in number. You lie every damn day. That speech the other day was merely one lie after another, sentence after sentence of pure, deliberate deception.

Lucifer must be very proud of you, Bozo.

dogsoldier on December 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM

Don L on December 10, 2009 at 6:39 AM

my fear is, once they gain power again, they won’t do squat…it will be ‘play nice with the(D)s time’

cmsinaz on December 10, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Obama’s policies truly are frightening. The Republicans don’t have to embellish the truth for any thinking person to have the soup scared out of them.

MJBrutus on December 10, 2009 at 7:11 AM

STFU, Barack

drjohn on December 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM

the GOP is simply telling constituents what is happening.

I am not sure Boehner or most any other Republican knows what’s happening “out there.”

drjohn on December 10, 2009 at 7:17 AM

I’m the President. I won. You lost. Only I am allowed to frighten Americans!

olesparkie on December 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Worst. President. EVER.

Good Lt on December 10, 2009 at 7:40 AM

The TRUTH scares me you POS.

Oink on December 10, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Communism must wither. Truth is the disinfectant. I still say somewhere in Kenya a village is missing their idiot. Missing their communist as well……

Republican REFORMERS are needed. Not Republican politicians.

adamsmith on December 10, 2009 at 9:26 AM

The Won is in Copenhagen and he’s got the head of the EPA with him. The GOP didn’t tell me but it scares the heck out of me.

Kissmygrits on December 10, 2009 at 10:06 AM

“stop trying to frighten the American people”

Too late, Barry! You’ve done a remarkable job all by yourself.

evergreen on December 10, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Yes there is: the prospect of him coming back.

nerdbert on December 10, 2009 at 11:43 AM

STFU, Barack

drjohn on December 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM

My thoughts exactly.

la.rt.wngr on December 10, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Liam
Yes, I meant THEM!!!! Proud to have you beside me any day!

huskerdiva on December 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Everytime Obama says people are being “frightened” into believing blah-blah-blah, we pound some vodka Pendleton whiskey?

mjk on December 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM

I’m game.

Badger40 on December 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Obama produced a chart?

Is this clown for real?

David2.0 on December 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM

That’s what he’s been doing with all that time he was supposed to have been making a decision on AfPak.
It’s hard to make chart when you have nothing but crayons and an old ruler on craft paper.

Badger40 on December 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Wow, I wonder what was on the chart… I wonder

stoutcat on December 10, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Obama complaining about the use of fear as a poltical tool. That’s rich! He seems to alternate between that, declaring that we’re in a desperate crisis , and calling us racisits.

hawksruleva on December 10, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Obama is not fit to serve as president. It is that simple. Some folks made a big boo-boo in their diapers when they voted for this dangerous imbecile. Even the ones with proper drawers got skid marks. And now Obama is trying to skid all over the Constitution and my Liberty. The tracks and spore he leaves behind are most unpleasant along with his socialist wake. The man is a traveler of the worst sort, so let him travel on . . . . somewhere else. If the Taliban caught Obama they would have a feast. After all, they must just love the guy!

Sherman1864 on December 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I still remember the CBO report at the beginning of this year that said the economy would recover on its own if we had just done business as usual. Hell, it would be better IMO.

Heftyjo on December 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM

The people don’t need the GOP to be frightened.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 10, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I have just one simple thing to say to you, “Obama, go f*ck yourwelf”!

Winebabe on December 10, 2009 at 7:29 PM

No one has ever supported Obama unless they were deluded or evil. No other choices.

proconstitution on December 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I have it on good authority that a Russian Sub-launch went terribly bad. Course, I can NEVER EVER go to that 7-11 EVER again.

44Magnum on December 10, 2009 at 9:33 PM

The truth sets us free and locks Obama up. What we need is more truth and less Obama. Much, much less.

BottomLine5 on December 11, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Well I might consider that when you and your goons stop trying to frighten Americans with your “global warming”, “climate change” crap.

hopefloats on December 11, 2009 at 9:16 AM

ESAD, you vile jug-eared sh*t stain.

SKYFOX on December 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Want to talk fear mongering? How do those suspected terrorist phone taps look, now that the exhaust from the act of BREATHING will be regulated by the EPA! WTF! We have a guy who tries to teach kids about fisting and anonymous gay sex in public parks as a “Safe Schools” Czar. Everytime I think, “OK if this is as bad as it gets with Obama we can hang on for another year…” Then he just makes things worse.

I’ll admit that I was wrong about him after the election last year. He is way more dangerous then I ever imagined.

drocity on December 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM

The only thing the GOP has done that scares me is wimp out.

darktood on December 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Post racial, post Obama.

Angry Dumbo on December 11, 2009 at 1:18 PM

What are we waiting for?

rayra on December 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Mr. President, I remind you that you were elected President not DICTATOR.

The GOP is not frightening me about your policies, you do that just fine.

The Rock on December 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM

You know, I wonder if he has any idea of what people really think of him and his “policies” or if he’s totally insulated by his enablers.

For the record, I was scared when I saw and listened to him on TV the first time in 2008, and my level of disgust and hatred for everything he stands for has done nothing but increase every day since. It has taken a long time for the level of awareness of the evil of this man and those who think like him to break through into the consciousness of many of those who so stupidly got taken in by him, but it is happening, and for that I am thankful to God.

That he was incredibly bad news was one of those self-evident things that needed nothing but a single encounter with his manner, his mind, and his manipulative deviousness. I could not and still cannot believe that such a person was elected president. It totally boggles the mind; it’s just not believable.

tanarg on December 12, 2009 at 8:38 AM