Gibbs: Obama’s crappy poll numbers are Gallup’s fault or something

posted at 4:05 pm on December 8, 2009 by Allahpundit

A predictable update to yesterday’s Change. Every time I post a poll that’s bad news for conservatives, some denialist will show up in the comments to insist that (a) all polls are bunk and/or (b) this particular pollster is particularly bunk-ish. You and I call that person a troll. Obama calls him his press secretary.

No video, but I like to imagine that he punctuated this with the fingers-in-the-ears “la la la la” routine while reporters shouted follow-ups. The punchline? Gallup’s numbers, at 47/46, were actually better than the numbers The One’s been pulling at Rasmussen and CNN lately.

The president’s job approval rating is below 50% in several other polls, but White House spokesman Robert Gibbs today, when asked about the Gallup results, called them meaningless.

“If I was a heart patient and Gallup was my EKG I’d visit my doctor,” Gibbs said. “If you look back I think five days ago we were, there was an 11 point spread, now there’s a one point spread.”

Gibbs continued, “you know, I mean I’m sure a six year old with a crayon could do something not unlike that. I don’t put a lot of stake in, never have, in the EKG that is the daily Gallup trend. I don’t pay a lot of attention to meaninglessness.”

If you were a heart patient and your EKG was this flat, you’d already be in the hospital, champ. A simple “polls change all the time, we don’t place much stock in them” would have worked wonders here, but why go that route when you could insult a respected professional by comparing them to a child — for the second time this week? Can the famously disciplined Hopenchange message machine seriously do no better than this guy? Or is he simply emulating the whining and bad faith that’s lately been coming straight from the top?

Update: Frank Newport, Gallup’s EIC, responds with much greater politeness than Gibbs deserves.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Remember when the MSM constantly derided Bush for dismissing polls?

Speedwagon82 on December 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I would love some examples-as I note in my 5:12 post, Google is useless with this stuff.

Del Dolemonte on December 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I do so look forward to the day when this inspipid troll is unceremoniously thrown under the bus.

pilamaye on December 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Allah, you crack me up.

Cindy Munford on December 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, I deleted Google off of my computer months ago. I use Bing now.

Notice I don’t just use Bing. I deleted all Google programs from my computer.

jaime on December 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Gee, champ. You really know how to win friends and influence people…

CynicalOptimist on December 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM

That my friends, is a money line… :)

JusDreamin on December 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Notice I don’t just use Bing. I deleted all Google programs from my computer.

jaime on December 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Seriously, how do you DO that? I’ve been trying but some remnant is always left over, and somehow the whole Google machine gets back on my ‘puter in a few days.

Gibbs is such a farce. And yet so many still think he has credibility.

NTWR on December 8, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Wow. If scientific pollsters are crayon wielding children whose mission is meaninglessness, what does that make Gibbs? The secretary of snarkiness?

scalleywag on December 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Again, I sure miss Tony Snow.

scalleywag on December 8, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Oh. F***ing. Snap.

Allah is IN THE HOUSE!

MadisonConservative on December 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM

UPDATE: I just took the oakpack poll and Obama got a 0%.

oakpack on December 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

There are strange parallels between ACORN’s spokes-weasel and Gibbs. They both have that creepy, sleazebag aura about them, always deflecting when they SHOULD be explaining.

TampaBayBull on December 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM

It would be nice if someone in the “courageous” White House Press Corps would just once say to Gibbs: Hey, cut it out already. You don’t have to be a smart-ass on every single question. Try to act like a professional.

P.S. Dear God: Can we have Tony Snow back for just five minutes to show this fool Gibbs how to conduct himself with class and dignity?

JohnInCA on December 8, 2009 at 5:49 PM

There’s no reason to have any press briefings in this administration. What little they do say are lies.

oakpack on December 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Pillsbury Doughboy
Doesn’t like reality…
He makes up his own.

Reality intrudes…
He whines like a spoiled baby.
Worst. Press. Sec. Ev-er!

This guy is so bad
He makes McClellan look good.
That is hard to do.

Haiku Guy on December 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Yeah, I deleted Google off of my computer months ago. I use Bing now.

Notice I don’t just use Bing. I deleted all Google programs from my computer.

jaime on December 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Have to admit that I gotta give credit to Google’s logo today. I am still furious with them for again ignoring Dec. 7th, but today they pay tribute to remember the 1894 birthday of E.C. Segar, the creator of Popeye.

Del Dolemonte on December 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM

You want polls? Check this out.

Guardian on December 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Gibbs continued, “…I don’t pay a lot of attention to meaninglessness.”

In other words, he pays no attention to The Unprecedented

ya2daup on December 8, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I don’t call that person a troll, because they’re often right.
FloatingRock on December 8, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I have a broken watch in my dresser drawer at home; it’s right twice every day… trolls, not so much

ya2daup on December 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM

mwdiver wrote:

Makes you wonder whether Gibbs and Biden were separated at birth.

Yes; they were Siamese twins. Apparently they were joined at the head and the brain they shared had to be halved to separate them.

noblejones on December 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM

So like a lib to throw out the insults when they don’t have an answer.

4shoes on December 8, 2009 at 7:21 PM

The Manchild in Chief is no better than Peter Griffin up there.

spmat on December 8, 2009 at 7:21 PM

If you were a heart patient and your EKG was this flat, you’d already be in the hospital morgue , champ.

fify

ElectricPhase on December 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Gibbs is a fool. He is also immoral like our evil president.

proconstitution on December 8, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Okay I have a very fitting name for this d—k head Gibbs??

I have been trying to think of a good nick-name for him!

How does “Opie” sound ??

cableguy615 on December 8, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Sorry improper punctuation on the first line!

cableguy615 on December 8, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I don’t think they’re just whistling in the dark. Their arrogance telegraphs the fact that even if Dear Leader’s favorables were only 10% they would still be able to carry on their Socialist agenda.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 9, 2009 at 12:01 AM

You and I call that person a troll.

AP, I repeatedly try to tell you that polls ARE rubbish, because they all are rubbish. If you want to call me a troll for trying to be helpful all I can say is, anyone who believes polls is a moron.

There are many ways to make polls come out the way you want them and all pollsters have motivations for their work product to come out a given way. The motivators fall into classic categories.

Bozo’s actual real approval number is probably down around 30% if its that high. Remember these pollsters use a supremely screwed sample and ask skewed questions.

We’re a center right country and yet their sample is routinely 30% more libs than conservatives. One recent poll used more indies than conservatives.

dogsoldier on December 9, 2009 at 6:41 AM

The Omnipotent One – Allahpundit

You really crack me up, Allah. You are on a roll this am.

Subsunk

Subsunk on December 9, 2009 at 8:00 AM

And this thread is ever more hilarious as we go.

You guys all deserve a round of applause this am. Keep up the good work, folks.

Subsunk