Finally: The complete Shatner/Limbaugh interview

posted at 6:33 pm on December 7, 2009 by Allahpundit

I called the teaser on ObamaCare surreal, but you know what the most surreal part of this ended up being? The sheer chumminess of it. Not that I expected a kal-if-fee between them over, say, cap and trade, but Shatner could have gone the provocateur’s route here and picked a fight if only to drum up buzz for his show. Instead, they spend very little time talking politics, just a few minutes or so on what conservatism means and how it applies to health care starting at around 5:45. The rest is devoted to growing up and personal struggles, with Rush delving into the agonies of withdrawal near the end.

If you’re pressed for time, I’d suggest watching at around 9:30 for their commiseration on hearing loss. A nice job here by the captain; if he’s smart, he’ll have on other political guests.

Comments

Mountain vs. molehill

mountain wins………

Janos Hunyadi on December 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Not that I expected a kal-if-fee between them over

AllahPundit,

Treker or Trekie? I am thinking the later of the Trek’s. But the real question, do you dress up and go to the conventions? And if so… what or who do you dress as?

upinak on December 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I still can’t get over that chair. It feels like they should have their right arms locked, serving each other a glass of champaign.

BadgerHawk on December 7, 2009 at 6:38 PM

One of the things I have liked MOST about Shatner as he has gotten on in years, is that he has never taken himself too seriously.

I hope he doesn’t start letting me down. From the sound of things, he has not.

…Rush has seemed to imply that the two of them have a friendly relationship and get together socially.

singlemalt_18 on December 7, 2009 at 6:39 PM

They have watched football together.

Spirit of 1776 on December 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Someone tell Rush the Sonny Crockett look died 20 years ago.

wdmdoug on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

The problem with the interview is that it was too short. I like Rush and Bill. I wish they were having a nice cigar and sitting on a balcony ala “Boston Legal” and had an hour or so.

What would they be drinking?

AnthonyK on December 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Someone tell Rush the Sonny Crockett look died 20 years ago.

wdmdoug on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

LOL, when one of my best friends got married back in those days, he, the Best Man and his ushers were all decked out in Miami Vice pink tuxedos.

I always was grateful to him for sparing me the embarrassment of being one of his wedding party. But of course, he had nothing to do with it, as his wifey arranged the whole thing, down to who he “picked” for his Best Man and ushers and what they wore.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Instead, they spend very little time talking politics

Of course. Shatner was in way over his head on the subject. He’s not going to let himself look like a fool on his own show. The most profound thing he could think of to sum up his position was “But how do you know?” – as if research and experience in the field were beyond his comprehension.

Ronnie on December 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM

The problem with the interview is that it was too short.

Rush said that they talked for like two hours! He hadn’t watch the show, but he talked about very briefly today.

Spirit of 1776 on December 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Wasn’t James T. Kirk from Iowa…?

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Spirit of 1776 on December 7, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I heard that. Now it is just a matter of time before the edited parts start to trickle out as needed for effect. I want to see the edited parts!

AnthonyK on December 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM

That was,to coin a British sitcom,Absoluetly Fabulous!!!

canopfor on December 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Aww man, I thought you had the unedited version.

BobH on December 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM

The kitsch and buffoonery is part of the Shatner charm, and because he has a good sense of humor and doesn’t take himself seriously, it works for him. If it wasn’t for the buffoonery, his career would be long dead, and he understands that.

RBMN on December 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I liked the previous caption of “Set phasers to dude” better.

disillusioned on December 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM

That was a GREAT interview.

therightwinger on December 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Great interview. It would be so cool to be invited to Bill Shatner’s house to watch Monday Night Football when Rush is in town…

Seven Percent Solution on December 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Who knew? Well done, Mr.Shatner. A good tone set throughout the interview. I hope he does more.

princetrumpet on December 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM

“Reverse Repo Man”: Bernanke’s Plan To “Re-Rob” The Last $1 Trillion From Ordinary Americans And Hand It To The Oligarchs
By Mark Ames

There was a leak yesterday to Bloomberg that the Fed is making plans to “drain” $1 trillion from the US economy. Because supposedly our economy is overheating with too much money—not that anyone you or I know has seen a penny of it. It doesn’t seem to make any sense to suck money out of a cash-strapped country when the economy’s in ruins: unemployment is reaching Third World levels, foreclosures are hitting new record highs, and lending is still contracting at an alarming rate not seen since, yep, the Great Depression. So why would the Fed talk about pulling $1 trillion out of the economy, as if that’s the medicine it needs?

KentAllard on December 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Very good interview. Two men I’ve admired for years. Age, though, hasn’t been kind to Bill. Wish (maybe he wishes, too) he’d lose 50 pounds. Been a Rush fan since ’91 and a Trek fan since its inception “long, long ago and far away”. No, wait. That line’s from Star Wars…sorta. I, too, wish they’d had an hour…

Roger Brown on December 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I watched it last night. Thought it was one of the better Rush interviews. I know his politics, of course, and it was refreshing to hear his personal stories, the bit about his grandfather and his agony through withdrawal, something I hadn’t heard before.

Socks might’ve also helped.

JammieWearingFool on December 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Someone tell Rush the Sonny Crockett look died 20 years ago.

wdmdoug on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Rush is vogue. If he’s wearing it, it’s not in style. It is style.

JellyToast on December 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Cap’n, I’m a doctor, not Mr. Blackwell!

OkieDoc on December 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM

It wasn’t at all what I expected, i.e. two guys shouting.

I was quite moved by some parts, and loved childhood gift Rush brought out the very end. Some people really do have a “destiny” I guess…

fivefeetoffury on December 7, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Someone tell Rush the Sonny Crockett look died 20 years ago.

wdmdoug on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Who’s that ??

cableguy615 on December 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM

BadgerHawk on December 7, 2009 at 6:38 PM

It looks like it’s a Modern Courting bench – er, ew.

batterup on December 7, 2009 at 7:43 PM

The chair is because Shatner does interviews with his zipper down.

OkieDoc on December 7, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Call Starfleet command….the Capt has just failed his mission!. Thinking for a moment on trying to prove ElRushbo is wrong on Healthcare.

hawkman on December 7, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Seriously, that was one of the better interviews I’ve ever seen. Shatner did a nice job.

pugwriter on December 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM

That was,to coin a British sitcom,Absoluetly Fabulous!!!

canopfor on December 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Cheers! Man do I miss my dose of AbFab! One the funniest shows to run, evah!

Archimedes on December 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM

That was a great interview!

BetseyRoss on December 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I enjoy watching the raw nerve. Bill talks on a personel level and the geust isn’t there to plug thier latest product. I was impressed the first time I saw it.
I didn’t think the captain had it in him!

crazy texas on December 7, 2009 at 8:11 PM

That’s sweet. Really really sweet. thanks all around.

John E. on December 7, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Is there anything Shatner can’t do?

Except appear in the last Star Trek movie. )))

Mister Ghost on December 7, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Age, though, hasn’t been kind to Bill.

Well considering that he is not too far from 80..

firepilot on December 7, 2009 at 8:34 PM

If i had Rush’s dough I would likely push the boundary line between eccentric and nut case further into the crazy zone . But the no socks and bare chest ? Is he running for City council from the Castro . Sorry , left coast reference . I mean a section of a city predominately populated by the extremely tidy . He does not like socks ? I bet he wore the socks his mom told him to wear in Cape Girardeau and liked it fine .

borntoraisehogs on December 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Best Rush interview I’ve ever seen.

I didn’t care for the chairs but you know Shatner (can’t believe he’s what 78?) is a really good interviewer. He doesn’t come across as full of himself. Shatner also seems to really be interested in the guest, not trying to make the guest look like an idiot (hello Stewart, Colbert, Letterman).

Thank you Rush for taking the time to do it.

PappyD61 on December 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Great interview. Two of my favorite people. Love Shatner, love Rush. Great segment on the hearing loss. Nice end to a hard day.

catlady on December 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM

PappyD61 on December 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM
I agree…. Shatner really seemed into his guest, not just looking for the next one liner. Can’t believe he is 78!!! Man, where did those years go? Seems like yesterday my sisters and I were watching his shirt get torn off every episode….

catlady on December 7, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I think that chair is called an eiderdown. At least that’s what it’s seatings were stuffed with back when they were produced.

I watched this on Rush’s 24/7 site. Fan of Rush since 92, fan of Star Trek since 68. Good to see Kirk and Rush talk about the sound of seawater as it retreats from the shore, always been on the top of My mind. Rush said on air that it took about 2 hours and was cut down to 22.5 minutes. I could sense that in how political topics were abrupt. I know Rush would go on a lot longer with political answers.

Coronagold on December 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I had not expected to like this.

As James Doohan supposedly said to a fan who couldn’t believe he did not get along with Captain Kirk, “I like Jim Kirk just fine. It’s Bill Shatner I can’t stand.”

So, I thought I would see something very different from what I saw. I was impressed with both men.
__________

RJGatorEsq. on December 7, 2009 at 9:17 PM

One of very few interviews with Rush that I truly enjoyed. The Capt. may have found his true calling.

Helloyawl on December 7, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Ya gotta know, since Limbaugh is my age, that Limbaugh was watching Shatner on Star Trek as a Junior in highschool.

I agree with the commenters that Shatner is completely sharp at 78. I knew someone who had his complete mental faculties at 101 (the guy end played my eight with his nine offsuit — that’s Bridge talk for you people in Rio Linda… anyhow, when I asked the old fellow how he did it, he simply replied he keeps track of every card played, and knew from the bidding what suit I was likely long in)

I think Shatner is of that ilk. He’s in complete command, and between Rush and Shatner, I am utterly humbled by these two giants. I give Shatner a pass politically, because as I now live in Hollywood, I know the environment Shatner has been surrounded with his whole career. Few survive with any common sense left at the end of the day.

I moved here from more sane areas of the planet (that narrows down where I am from to, well, the rest of the planet) so I am commenting from a more reasonable perspective. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this, but I am certain not half as much as Rush enjoyed sharing a conversation with THE Captain Kirk.

Danzo on December 7, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Someone tell Rush the Sonny Crockett look died 20 years ago.

wdmdoug on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Who’s that ??

cableguy615

Duh….got a youngin’ on our hands…Sonny Crockett of Miami Vice fame.

starman on December 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I’ve seen several episodes of Shatner’s RAW. The show’s name fits; the interviews frequently hit raw nerves, touch on deeply personal issues, but in a good way. In this context, Shatner is like a masculine Oprah.

The episode with Kelsey Grammar was particularly moving.

sulla on December 7, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Coronagold on December 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I’d have said that it’s a “flirtation settee,” the original intent of which was to let Victorian couples do their courting in a properly separated manner. It’s a bit coy and precious for my taste.

KyMouse on December 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM

That was a pleasant reprieve from the sound of marching footsteps of Socialism.

Saltysam on December 7, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I’d put Shatner right behind Dennis Miller on the interviewer prowess list. It would be a close second at that. They both have a way of connecting in a short amount of time asking all the right open-ended questions, and shepherding the interview along an interesting and informative path.

daesleeper on December 7, 2009 at 10:10 PM

daesleeper on December 7, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Yes. What you said. ;-)

itzWicks on December 7, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Someone tell Rush the Sonny Crockett look died 20 years ago.

wdmdoug on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Who’s that ??

cableguy615

Duh….got a youngin’ on our hands…Sonny Crockett of Miami Vice fame.

starman on December 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Is that the Colin Farrell – Jamie Foxx movie?

tunakermit on December 7, 2009 at 11:17 PM

That was,to coin a British sitcom,Absoluetly Fabulous!!!

canopfor on December 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Cheers! Man do I miss my dose of AbFab! One the funniest shows to run, evah!

Archimedes on December 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Archimdes: The episode where they go out to do some shopping
and they discuss,that 2x 40oz.bottles just might
be enough to get by,gawd,I nearly died laughing!
-:)

canopfor on December 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM

In the immortal words of Dr. Spock, this interview was “Fascinating, Captain.”

Great job, not the usual dopey questions.

DTogo on December 8, 2009 at 1:41 AM

I didn’t think I’d like but, I did.

boomer on December 8, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I’m glad that they could share this intimate moment on the love toilet. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/clips/the-love-toilet/1056587/

GrammarPolice on December 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Rush and an empty would have made more sense.

dthorny on December 8, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Wow. That was really something.

spmat on December 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I had one of those Carvel radios.

J_Crater on December 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM

That was great. I love Rush, but I like Shatner alot more now too.

echosyst on December 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I remember Shatner from an early (Comedy Central days) episode of Politically Correct with Bill Maher, back when Maher wasn’t such a turd. I got the distinct impression Shatner was fairly conservative in the way he mocked Robert Reich by suggesting that the way to fix income disparity in America was for the govt to create a department of impressive salaries. Funny stuff.

runawayyyy on December 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I so surprised at that. I really enjoyed the interview.

SarahW on December 8, 2009 at 7:08 PM

William Shatner has the gift of self-awareness. I think one of the points of his show is to expose celebrities as ordinairy people, with the same sorts of life experiences that many of us have had. He did an excellent job of that here.

It’d be nice if more of today’s talk shows and interview shows followed suit. Instead, we mostly get setup questions that lead to the talking points for whatever movie, sitcom, Senate bill, Presidential primary is the cause celebe of the guest.

hawksruleva on December 14, 2009 at 11:39 AM