Did NPR sign up for Obama’s war on Fox?

posted at 2:00 pm on December 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

When Barack Obama went to war with Fox News, other media organizations eventually rebelled against the heavy-handed attacks.  The White House got the message, and began giving interviews once again to Fox, with Obama himself and Gen. David Petraeus over the last couple of weeks.  However, it looks as though one news organization attempted to wage a quiet war on Obama’s behalf with its own left flank:

Executives at National Public Radio recently asked the network’s top political correspondent, Mara Liasson, to reconsider her regular appearances on Fox News because of what they perceived as the network’s political bias, two sources familiar with the effort said.

According to a source, Liasson was summoned in early October by NPR’s executive editor for news, Dick Meyer, and the network’s supervising senior Washington editor, Ron Elving. The NPR executives said they had concerns that Fox’s programming had grown more partisan, and they asked Liasson to spend 30 days watching the network.

At a follow-up meeting last month, Liasson reported that she’d seen no significant change in Fox’s programming and planned to continue appearing on the network, the source said. …

Liasson defended her work for Fox by saying that she appears on two of the network’s news programs, not on commentary programs with conservative hosts, the source said. She has also told colleagues that she’s under contract to Fox, so it would be difficult for her to sever her ties with the network, which she has appeared on for more than a decade.

Give Mara Liasson a big cheer for reportorial independence — and some guts.  After all, when network execs tell a reporter to “reconsider” her work with another entity, that’s a big signal to cease and desist.  Liasson could have easily folded and taken the easy way out by joining a chorus of Fox critics.  Instead, she held her ground and essentially outlasted them.

But what is NPR doing by pressuring Liasson anyway?  Unless they want to offer her an exclusive contract and compensation for breaking her pact with Fox, it’s really not any of their business what she does with the rest of her time.  Besides, as a taxpayer-funded news organization, NPR also has no business getting involved in government attacks on Fox News.  They reveal themselves as the toady of the Beltway, and especially this administration, by attempting to join Obama’s war on Fox.

The choice of Liasson is no accident, either.  Her presence on Fox shows that the network welcomes liberal points of view (which no one can doubt Liasson holds), more so than some networks welcome conservatives.  The presence of Liasson and Juan Williams demonstrates a balance on its news programming and analysis (apart from the commentary shows, which Liasson rightly pointed out to NPR) that one rarely sees on MS-NBC, CBS, or at times even CNN, although the latter does employ the formidable Bill Bennett.

Liasson demonstrated what independence means.  Maybe NPR should observe Liasson more, and learn what that means.

Full disclosure: I have appeared twice on Liasson’s NPR show in the last few years.  She’s professional and represented my point of view fairly in the editing process both times.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why do the leftists always refer to Fox News as faux???. Do they think NPR, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC are flawless in their newsreporting or they have a blind eye when there is so much evidence of bias? I actually believe these leftists desire to have a one state controlled news media like they have in stalinist USSR.

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Mara Liasson and Juan Williams are class acts.

I don’t agree with them very often, but they help make Fox News Sunday the best news show on the weekend.

Good for Mara in standing up here.

jaschenb74 on December 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Ahhh, NPR. Some 20 years ago, I returned (unpledged) a beg-o-gram back to them, and encouraged them to consider hiring libertarians, conservatives, and perhaps some folks familiar with such popular activities as hunting and self-defense.(All Things Considered, You Know). I actually got a reply, essentially denying their biases, and suggesting that additional funding would perhaps support more of my interests.

One of the things I did enjoy, were the news shows with little snippets of whatever non-English language appropriate to the area they were reporting on. (so the listener could feel like they were “Citizens of the World”?)

I read that they were strongly opposed to our involvement in WWII even up through the end of the war.

Tax supported crap.

trl on December 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Really? I’ve never seen her over there.

Have I missed something?

AnninCA on December 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM

She’s been on the panel at Meet the Press about a hundred times.

Wake up dear.

fogw on December 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM

She’s been on the panel at Meet the Press about a hundred times.

Wake up dear.

fogw on December 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Oh, OK. I thought you meant on MSN news deals.

AnninCA on December 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM

10. In appearing on TV or other media including electronic Web-based forums, NPR journalists… should not participate in shows electronic forums, or blogs that encourage punditry and speculation rather than rather than fact-based analysis.

faux news, in other words.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Why the “…” little tardlett?

10. In appearing on TV or other media including electronic Web-based forums, NPR journalists should not express views they would not air in their role as an NPR journalist. They should not participate in shows electronic forums, or blogs that encourage punditry and speculation rather than fact-based analysis.

“faux news” Think that one up all by yourself, did ya?

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 3:53 PM

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Yes. That’s exactly what they think.

Here is my own personal take. All the stations are incredibly biased.

So, you want to get a well-balanced viewpoint?

Tune in to a variety. I do that on-line, even.

That will flip-flop your perspective around so that you get a semblance of objectivity.

Most of all, know that none of these TV people are even remotely tuned into the real story, not even the pundits.

I guess they had to fire all the researches.

It’s truly embarassing, no matter which network, what’s passing as news.

And don’t think the blogs are better, either. Same thing.

Remember, news is just like a restaurant.

Nobody has any room for the waitress these days.

AnninCA on December 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Really? I’ve never seen her over there. Have I missed something? …

AnninCA on December 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Yes Ann. Judging from the comments you have made on Hot Air, I would estimate you have missed a good portion of your life. You are entertaining and I think well intentioned. I just think you played hookey from the school of life.

To everybody else, Mara and Juan are so much better than the illiterate hacks on the McLaughlin Report, it upsets me to mention this in one sentence.

Old Country Boy on December 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Love that sentence. It admits that NPR doesn’t want its reporter to appear on Fox because of NPR’s bias. “The network” clearly refers to NPR. :)

malclave on December 7, 2009 at 4:01 PM

OK. Thanks for sharing.

AnninCA on December 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Ann,, where I live the MSM seems all the same in their nightly news reporting. Fox seems to be the exception to the rest. I don’t know about anyone else but they all seem like little carbon copies. I do agree you can get alternate viewpoints on the net and AM radio. I disagree with finding diveristy in viewpoint in the nightly news as I have already said.

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 4:05 PM

faux news, in other words.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 3:26 PM

But the part I cited was #2, which states

2. NPR journalists must get written permission for all outside freelance and journalistic work, including written articles. Requests should be submitted in writing to the employee’s immediate supervisor. Approval will not be unreasonably denied if the proposed work will not discredit NPR, conflict with NPR’s interests, create a conflict of interest for the employee or interfere with the employee’s ability to perform NPR duties. Supervisors must respond within seven days of receiving a request.

She’s obviously gotten written permission.

BTW, can you give us some examples of “Faux News” breaching the SPJ Code of Ethics comparable to the true journalistic malpractice committed by their “competitor”, CNN?

And nothing from Media Matters, dear. I already know how Carl Cameron was punished by Faux for his false article about the Boston Turd Pie Jean Kerri, and I also know about the complaints about the Terry Schiavo case.

But can you find any breaches comparable to CNN’s lying about Americans dropping nerve gas on Laotian civilians? Or CNN’s not reporting the atrocities by Saddam Hussein for a decade just so they could keep their Baghdad Bureau open, or their CEO having to resign in disgrace after falsely accusing US troops of “murdering” Iraqi reporters?

No, you can’t, because Faux has never stooped that low. But please feel free to amuse us with examples. Just remember, no Media Matters as a “source”.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I think this YouTube will give a flavor of NPR as done by SNL .. brings a new meaning to teabagging and captures Joe Scarborough’s intent.

J_Crater on December 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Why the “…” little tardlett?

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 3:53 PM

because brevity is the soul of wit, you twit.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM

because brevity is the soul of wit, you twit.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM

LOL, you left exactly ONE WORD out. Try again.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM

i don’t watch cable news.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM

fail.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Ever since I first saw Mara on Fox,I’ve had a great deal of respect for her,although like so many others here,I don’t agree with her.Her stand on this issue increases my respect for her.Good going Mara!
A couple people have mentioned Juan Williams in reference to NPR’s tactics.I read somewhere today that NPR did try something similar to Juan.It appears from the timing that Juan’s response was to not only continue on Fox,but to increase his presence by filling in for Bill O’Reilly.So kudos to Juan,also.
By the way,is it just me,or does Juan seem to be moving to the right lately?Just asking.

DDT on December 7, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Here is my own personal take. All the stations are incredibly biased.

So, you want to get a well-balanced viewpoint?

Tune in to a variety. I do that on-line, even.

AnninCA on December 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM

:-)

I’m chuckling because the room at my gym with the elliptical machines has two flat screens. Many times I get there first before the crowd so I put the left tv on CNN and the right tv on FOX. No one ever asks to change the channels…

I suppose I could tune the left tv to MSNBC but then I would feel queasy and not be able to finish my workout.

yubley on December 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I like Mara, always have.

Perhaps NPR took its marching orders in turn from the Phil Jones cabal over at CRU.

rogersnowden on December 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM

i don’t watch cable news.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM

But surely, little one, you’d have examples to back up your truncated posting of the ethics.

I can’t imagine that one of the rent-a-tards that infects these boards would ever just pass a talking point along, without checking it out for themself.

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM

It is an organized effort, led by the usual suspects.

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Considoring that FOXnews and conservative radio were they ONLY outlets to discuss climategate for over a week, I’d have to say that claiming to get your news from a “variety” of sources is overrated. The MSM is determined to avoid the truth at all costs- anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves.

anniekc on December 7, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I would point out that they are ankle-grabbers for the left, not just this administration. During the Reagan administration, NPR was rabid supporter of the communist Sandinista’s in Nicaragua, as well as the Soviet Union.

In other words, she could actually be labeled a “reporter”, not just a parrot.

oldleprechaun on December 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Why is there even a debate about RNC TV aka Fox News? They make a lot of money. They should be proud of what they created. No one in his/her right mind actually thinks Fox News is “Fair and Balanced”. Why are they upset when they are called on it?

Decider on December 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM

i don’t watch cable news.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Then how do you know Faux News is biased?

F minus.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 5:17 PM

fail.

sesquipedalian on December 7, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Why would you bother to cut and paste the entire passage, then leave just 1 word out? Inquiring minds want to know.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 5:18 PM

. No one in his/her right mind actually thinks Fox News is “Fair and Balanced”.

Decider on December 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM

As evidenced by their ratings.

Now, kid, can you give us credible examples of Fox News being more biased than, say, CNN? And no citing Media Matters.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 5:20 PM

DDT on December 7, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Seems that way to me also. I think Juan does a great job when he fills in for Bill.

silvernana on December 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I always thought Juan Williams was there for the comic relief. Some of the looks on Brit Hume’s face after a Williams statement are priceless.

duggersd on December 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I’m not so sure I would say Mara is a liberal, she is definetly to the right of Juan, she is sort of center left.

kangjie on December 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM

The real problem with Liasson appearing on Fox, from the article:

One complaint from NPR executives is that this very perception that Liasson and [Juan] Williams serve as ideological counterweights reinforces feelings among some members of the public that NPR tilts to the left. “NPR has its own issues in trying to convince people that, ‘Look, we’re down the middle,’” the source said. “This is a public and institutional problem that has nothing to do with Mara. Obviously, you can’t give Mara a hard time for what’s coming out of her mouth. … She’s very careful. She isn’t trashing anybody.”

To put it another way, the Fox News Sunday panel often features two clearly conservative voices such as Brit Hume and Bill Kristol (three, if you count Chris Wallace) along with Williams and Liasson. They clearly position Williams and Liasson as if they are the lefties. But they are not liberal ideologues, like Kristol is for the right. So Fox wins on all levels: they get to have people seen as defending the left who aren’t actually interested in defending the left, so they don’t strongly articulate the positions of the left. And at the same time, they get to tar NPR as a leftist organization by having their putative leftie voices both come from NPR. It’s very clever positioning by Fox.

And it’s easy to see why NPR would not want to be played this way.

orange on December 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 5:18 PM

It was more than one word.

should not express views they would not air in their role as an NPR journalist.

I imagine going through life, such a coward, reduced to accusing people of breaking rules, all the while, being too much of a coward to simply copy/paste the full rule I’m accusing someone of breaking. I just can’t imagine it.

Still waiting on what’s Mara’s said on Fox, that she wouldn’t have on NPR. And waiting…

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Decider on December 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Which, of course, why studies have shown that Fox leans less to the right, than any other network does to the left.

Try again?

Really, rent-a-tards. It would be so much easier for you types in life, to just embrace an ideology that you could be proud of espousing. Your President wouldn’t have to wet his “O” branded Huggies whenever confronted by plumbers, you wouldn’t be embarrassed whenever passing talking points from Master George at mediamattersfortards.com, and getting owned for the effort. But, I guess it was never meant to be.

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Hmm… were those the studies commissioned by the competition?

malclave on December 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM

The only reason they want her off of Fox News is to make their untrue statement true. The fact that she is there undermines thier very arguement.

MichiganMatt on December 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM

As we’ve already noted, Mara’s been on Faux News for 10 years now. NPR never had a problem with her appearing there 4 years ago, or 8 years ago. Why now?

And as I noted in my reply to the Faux News “expert” who then admitted he never watches cable news (so has no idea whether Fox is balanced or not), NPR’s Code of Ethics requires that the NPR person get written permission from NPR before appearing elsewhere. She’s obviously got permission in writing from NPR.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Hmm… were those the studies commissioned by the competition?

malclave on December 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Nope. The Left-leaning PEW group did a survey confirming that. It also had some other interesting findings, such as that consumers of Faux News are better informed about the news than consumers of…NPR.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

So if all the leftists think Fox is not balanced then they must think NPR and the rest of the abc’s are balanced, what a joke. For the guy who never watches cable news I can’t see much difference between CBS, NBC, ABC, then their lefty counterparts on the cable. My belief is that the leftists only want a state media that is totally under the leftist control.

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Nope. The Left-leaning PEW group did a survey confirming that.

Can you provide a link?

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM

You have that exactly backwards.

51% of NPR listeners has a “high” level of knowledge about the news. Only 35% of Fox News viewers did.

orange on December 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I quit listening to NPR about ten years ago in Chicago, when I realized the program (All Things Considered) was “considering” anal cleansing for an entire afternoon’s programming. I haven’t listened to NPR since….

bradley11 on December 7, 2009 at 2:25 PM

LMAO (no pun intended)

Django on December 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Orange,,, Its true that 51 percent of NPR listeners are informed as you say but how many news stories does NPR leave out as does the rest of the media?. Talk radio and other outlets provides news stories that the MSM either ignores or belittles it.

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Perhaps they finally realized they were being played.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 6:39 PM

As you say, she’s been at NPR for a long time. If she got permission 10 years ago, it’s not unreasonable to think that things might change.

orange on December 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM

If NPR was omitting a great deal of information, then their audience wouldn’t be as well-informed as they are.

If you’d like a rebuttal, perhaps consider pointing out that Rush Limbaugh’s listeners are at about the same level as NPR’s.

orange on December 7, 2009 at 7:00 PM

You think they are informed but they are only informed of MSM news. I agree with that with no problem. My leftists family is very informed but they only are informed on what the MSM feeds them. Other stories that the alternate media provide are not known to them unless I tell them. When I tell them they say “where do you get this infor or how”?. My mom only listetns to NPR and MSNBC.

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Given the politically calculated questions and methodology of such polls, they are all bulls— until proven otherwise as far as I’m concerned.

Pew…The Same “non partisan” organization that’s closely affiliated with Madeleine Albright and the staff of Albright Group LLC. Blech….

Django on December 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I agree Django but the leftists can’t deal with all the ignored stories that their beloved MSM omit. They are hungry for total control just as they did back in the USSR.

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 7:11 PM

And now they’ve found a way to tax air. What next?

Django on December 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Django on December 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM

So when Del Dolemonte says that Fox News folks are better informed according to the Pew study, you take it as legit. When the facts show the opposite is true, you suddenly doubt the source.

Not very consistent. You seem more interested in holding on to your preconceived notions than in gaining information.

orange on December 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Um, 83% of O’Reilly viewers have a high to moderate level of knowledge, 78% of NPRers, 65% of Fox News. There’s a disconnect, there.

The question I’d like to see, is, “how many newspaper readers think carbon dioxide looks like something ugly, coming out of smokestacks.”

How many newspaper readers can state the basic principles of the scientific method? How many NPR viewers? How many Rush Limbaugh listeners?

Who is Gerald Walpin?

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Orange you still can’t come up with why your beloved media ignores and rallies around stories that advances their agenda. What drives me crazy is how the MSM ignores the fact that any day the gov’t will tell them exactly what to print, publish, and air daily. They don’t realize how close they are to this point. Like Lenin said they will sell the rope that hangs them.

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Does not follow.

NPR could be leaving out 99% of what is newsworthy, and they would rate as well-informed as long as what’s in the poll is in the remaining 1%.

I did find your link interesting though. It had a link to a news IQ quiz, which I followed. It’s obviously updated, since some of the questions refer to President Obama’s cabinet and policies. The two questions I got wrong on the quiz… I actually got right. :)

malclave on December 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM

garydt on December 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM

My beloved media? Amusing.

orange on December 7, 2009 at 8:13 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 7:00 PM

A lot of NPR listeners (myself among them) who also get news from other sources. Conservatives are far more likely to listen to/watch/read lib outlets than the reverse.

Anyway, how informed are NPR-only listeners about ACORN?

ddrintn on December 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM

OK, you have two people. One watches Fox and listens to Limbaugh only. The other watches MSNBC and reads the NYT only. Which one is better-informed?

ddrintn on December 7, 2009 at 8:53 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Pot meet kettle

If you need a daddy get one like everyone else

We don’t want government as our dads or big brothers.

You pussi*s kill me . Such little children.

CWforFreedom on December 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM

ddrintn on December 7, 2009 at 8:53 PM

About whether chest hair is in fashion, or, say, basic economic principles?

MNHawk on December 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM

my bad I meant listeners of Rush Limbaugh.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 10:37 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM

PS, why are you citing a 2 year old Pew survey? They have done another one since then.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM

orange on December 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Translation: “The folks whe run NPR are idiots”.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 10:44 PM

All Things Considered

NPR’s a joke.

Kini on December 7, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Here are a couple of ideas for liberals:
1. NPR shouldn’t exist at all as a government-funded entity (albeit partially).
2. Fox News is conservative. MSNBC is liberal. CNN and the alphabet networks news outlets are a little less liberal. Get over it.

NathanG on December 8, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Oh, and I love Orange’s response, “Maybe they finally realized they were getting played.” Riiiiight. Yeah. Like pigs will fly out my a$$.

NathanG on December 8, 2009 at 12:46 AM

I respect Liasson and Williams. These are two people I could disagree with and still talk politics.

- The Cat

MirCat on December 8, 2009 at 8:22 AM

The real question about this is… Did the Whitehouse pressure NPR to ask Liasson not to appear on Fox?

If there were any real transparency we would have a HUGE expose on Whitehouse control of media.

If this was Bush it would be front page everyday until someone resigned!

I certainly hope that America has learned it’s lesson and will never trust Democrats to run things again. They are fascists!

petunia on December 8, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Anyway, how informed are NPR-only listeners about ACORN?

ddrintn on December 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Pretty well informed.

orange on December 8, 2009 at 11:42 AM

ddrintn on December 7, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I believe we’re discussing NPR. I’m not interested in defending MSNBC. Cable news tends to be pretty awful, in my opinion.

orange on December 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

my bad I meant listeners of Rush Limbaugh.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Even though we were discussing the relative merits of NPR and Fox News (the two outlets on which Liasson appears)? Even though Limbaugh listeners scored slightly lower than NPR listeners? That makes no sense.

orange on December 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM

That was the first one I found in Googling. Feel free to link a more recent one. Like this one that shows NPR listeners beating FOX News viewers by 25 points.

Or you could also link that survey Pew allegedly did showing that “Fox leans less to the right, than any other network does to the left.”

orange on December 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Anyway, how informed are NPR-only listeners about ACORN?

ddrintn on December 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Pretty well informed.

orange on December 8, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Uh, those stories would indicate that ACORN is just a troubled anti-poverty group being unfairly grilled just because of a few bad apples.

ddrintn on December 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM

ddrintn on December 7, 2009 at 8:53 PM

orange on December 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Oh well, you can answer it anyway.

ddrintn on December 8, 2009 at 12:50 PM