Audio: “I don’t want to have to kill this man, but I’ll kill him graveyard dead”

posted at 5:56 pm on December 7, 2009 by Allahpundit

I’d call it a palate cleanser except that it’s too riveting and simply … too sad for that. Not only is this poor woman put through the wringer, it sounds like the guy breaking in was out of his gourd: They didn’t know each other, yet he was screaming threats and resorted to throwing patio furniture through the back door to get in. Reportedly, when the cops found his sister to let her know, she was so high she was nearly unconscious, so that’s the theory for his behavior at the moment. No word yet on what he was on.

I hope the NYPD would have been as supportive as the dispatcher is at the end here, but New York ain’t Oklahoma, needless to say. Exit quotation from the sheriff: “This was nothing more than a home invasion and Mrs. Jackson was defending herself.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

AWESOME.

blatantblue on December 8, 2009 at 9:39 AM

cibolo – You reminded me. When you are approaching someone’s house in the country, always honk your horn. Try to get their attention before you enter their property. Most important: Never climb over their gate. If you do, there may just be a new garden spot in the back yard named in your honor.

Old Country Boy on December 8, 2009 at 9:44 AM

The lust to take away our guns has nothing to do with “safety.” The lust to impose universal healthcare has nothing to do with health. The lust to impose the “stimulus” had nothing to do with jobs. The lust to impose cap-and-trade has nothing to do with the environment.

It is about control and power. It is always about control and power. These people are better and wiser than we are — they are the good and enlightened ones — and they cannot tolerate any form of government or social organization that does not give them the authority and prerogative to impose their superior vision on the rest of us.

rrpjr on December 8, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I’m charmed at all the Mossberg owners. Me, too!

Although my .40 Sig Sauer is my choice of outside the home defense, a shotgun is best at home. I don’t want a slug to go through my house and into my neighbors if I miss. A shotgun will take out the bad guy and maybe some sheetrock, and you don’t have to aim perfectly.

I pray for this woman, but I think she’s in good Hands already. She’s been traumatized by this criminal, but she’s going to be okay. What a woman! I’m so proud to be an American.

bonnie_ on December 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Yeah right – the NYPD would be there in seconds to handcuff you – for protecting yourself and your property.

In NYC if you shot him you would have to drag him out on the fire escape or the hallway and then call the cops.

Good for her and good for OK, they have it right.

AprilOrit on December 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I’m charmed at all the Mossberg owners. Me, too!

bonnie_ on December 8, 2009 at 9:52 AM

A shotgun will not penetrate an exterior wall of a well built home, no worries there. Get hollow point slugs and the expansion will provide tremendous drag as well as a wound channel that is horrendous in diameter.

Shotgun slugs travel as fast as pistol bullets.

Holger on December 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I have 2 12-Gauge shotguns and a 9mm Smith & Wesson.

One 12-G is a semi-automatic that holds only 3 shells (A bird gun).

The other belongs to my son which belonged to his Great, Great, Gandfather. It is nealy 100 years old and still works great. We take it out once a year to shoot clay targets. This pump action kicks like a mule.

The 9 mm I got just to have before you can’t buy a hand gun anymore. I took almost 25 years to justify getting one. Thanks Pres. Obama for helping me make this decission.

The only real problem I have is that my son is legally to young to use the 9 mm. He must be 17 and with an adult to go to the indoor shooting range here. And if I have this gun in my house, for safety sake all family members will need to know how to handle and use it.

mechkiller_k on December 8, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Holger on December 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM

On an earlier post you mentioned the Taurus Judge, having carefully looked at the Judge for a LEO friend, it may be wise to consider that the .45 long colt is between 1.55 inches to 1.6 inches in OAL. The 3 inch cylinder leaves about 1.4 inches of smooth bore travel before the bullet engages the lands and grooves of the barrel. The cylinder that I looked at had an inordinate amount of travel and did not lock into battery very well. As far as firing the 410 shotgun shells it can’t be beat for a hand gun. Not ever going to disparage some ones choice of protection but am firmly of the position that a weapon is a precise instrument and doesn’t lend themselves to firing more than one round or caliber.

fourdeucer on December 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Regarding the comments about this being treated as a homocide, by definition it IS a homocide. The question is, is it justifiable? Absolutely! Most likely, the police will do their investigation and turn the results over to the DA. The chances of him even presenting it to the grand jury are slim to none. Even if he does, I just can’t see the grand jurors voting to indict her. I don’t know if OK has a specifically stated castle doctrine in their law, but the concept is pretty well established, going back to British common law. I just can’t see her having any legal issues.

Dan859 on December 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Wow! Sheriff Mangion is our brand new Sheriff. I like living in Oklahoma where doing the right thing far out weighs being politically correct!

fbcmusicman on December 8, 2009 at 10:42 AM

mechkiller_k on December 8, 2009 at 10:23 AM

That is pretty much like our story – we didn’t get a hand gun until Oboma and the rest of national socialists came along.

Most likely this story has been repeated many times over the past year.

Insert witty screen name here on December 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I went through a similar situation. A lot goes through your mind and you have got to immediately decide if you are going to become a victim or a survivor.

Johan Klaus on December 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Thank God I live in Oklahoma, where I can defend myself and my family without fear of reprisals by law enforcement. I don’t have a shotgun, but I do have an AR-15 with a full 30-round clip of M855 penetrator rounds on the shelf next to it. And yes, I bought it post-election.

I hope nobody ever breaks into my house. If someone ever does, I hope that seeing the business end of my AR puts the fear of God into him so I don’t have to punch him full of holes. But if I do have to shoot, there will be no question of my family’s safety or of undue punishment from the law, only of how big a mess there will be to clean up afterwards.

Anyone who thinks the 2nd amendment is about hunting and shooting skeet is a fool.

Beo on December 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM

OK probably doesn’t have a castle law because what reasonable person would question it? In MA during the Dukakis reign however you had to flee your home. It was against the law to stand your ground. That was finally changed.

roy_batty on December 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Beo on December 8, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Magazine“, notclip“, Beo!

pseudonominus on December 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

fourdeucer on December 8, 2009

As befits a handgun made for shotshells, the rifling is notably shallow. This, combined with your valid point, suggests this weapon is no tack driver with .45 LC ammo. Taurus advertises this weapon as best at close range. I would heed that warning.

SKYFOX on December 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM

The founding fathers knew exactly what they were doing when they created the 2nd Amendment. This woman was scared out of her mind. Kudos to the dispatcher who reassured her on the phone.

closetgop on December 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM

“Magazine“, not “clip“, Beo!

pseudonominus on December 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Break into my house and say that to my face. :-)

Beo on December 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I will do the same thing if somebody breaks in on me. Thank goodness I live in Tennessee.

ladyingray on December 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Prayers of comfort to the shooter. She has her heart in the right place.

I really can’t believe there is any discussion on a case like this.

doginblack on December 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM

fourdeucer on December 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM

The cylinder didn’t lock in battery? Was it used? If so the previous owner probably flicked their wrist to slam the cylinder back into battery which can destroy the locking mechanism.

Personally, I stay away from Revolvers. They rarely malfunction but when they do, it is bad.

Holger on December 8, 2009 at 11:38 AM

In the world according to liberals, this woman shouldn’t have had a gun, because the laws will protect her and the victim in all this is the poor man addicted to drugs who had no choice but to break into a home to find stuff to steal to feed his debilitating habit, for which we should all be ashamed at not having helped cure by now.

Thunderstorm129 on December 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM

You never want to think twice when a drunk/drug addict is breaking into your home. Remember to ask forgiveness later is better than asking permission when there’s no time to ponder. Guns are my new hobby since Bo got in.

Nalea on December 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM

The lust to take away our guns has nothing to do with “safety.”
The lust to impose universal healthcare has nothing to do with health.

It is about control and power.
It is always about control and power.
rrpjr on December 8, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I for one am getting pretty fed up with the myth that the Statist Left cares about people.

Just examine some their past Big government schemes and tell me any of those actually helped people.

LBJ’s great Society – yeah right.

Gun control (aka Disarming the Law-abiding) – Can they ever cite a place where it HAS worked, NO.

Socialized medicine - Can they ever cite a place where it HAS worked, NO.

The fact is, the Statists can never cite a place where their scheme HAVE worked – the best they can do is say they and “Good Intentions” or some other BS, just before going back and coming up with some new power grabbing scheme – which will have the same exact results.

Why do we put up with this?

Juno77 on December 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Holger on December 8, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Actually it was a factory demo with less than 20 rounds fired from it. The scoring in the cylinder from the 45′s left a tell tale ring indicating the length of the brass. Shooting Times, in their fall Personal Defense issue had a nice write up about the Judge. 3 inches of cylinder with a weak rear lock up mechanism just lends itself to a host of problems. Anyone with the bad habit of flicking a revolver cylinder closed would exacerbate the out of battery condition. My observation was based on the amount of travel the cylinder had in the closed position and I figured after a couple hundred rounds it may not be safe for the 45 colt.

fourdeucer on December 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

This is terrible. She acted stupidly.
What did she do to make that man hate her?
Kensington on December 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM

ROFLOL

Nalea on December 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM

fourdeucer on December 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

When was this?

As for the problem of the .45 LC not engaging the rifling. I wonder if the Nagant M1895 might be an idea how to solve it.

Holger on December 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM

This is has got to be trolls. Check out some of these comments on a local tv station’s site:

If you only knew the whole truth. My cousin Pat had a prescription for pain medication for arthritis in her purse. This is where the opiates became involved. The couple was stuck, and Billy was trying to get help for his sister who almost died of hypothermia. We as the family do not blame this lady for what she did. We too would protect ourselves against an intruder. I pray that God will give this lady a peace of mind. That she will not be taunted by this forever. I as a cousin just wanted to add this, for Billy is being protrayed to be a major druggie here, when he did not have any drugs in his system. Please those of you who are bashing Billy, please remember he has alot of family still living. Your harsh words here only makes them hurt worse.

Dec. 6, 2009 3:05pm CST | from sharlahuckabey

Mrs. Jackson did what she had to do to protect herself. Mr. Riley was my foreman at work, he was a family man, with four childern, his wiife is in ou medical center in critical condition . Billy had been under alot of stress lately, his wife is not expected to live, he was a recovering alocholic, this is not the man I knew, he made poor judgement that night, i’m sure he didn;t even know what he was doing, but he was a decent man, with a good heart and not this criminal that the news has portrayed he made a mistake and it cost him his life

Dec. 5, 2009 7:15pm CST | from johnniem

teffertoes on December 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM

When was this?

Holger on December 8, 2009 at 12:15 PM

September this year, and I hate to say it, I was totally ignorant about the Nagant M1895 but after reading about it thank-you for the interesting information. Those darn Ruskies.

fourdeucer on December 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM

pseudonominus on December 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Ha! Good catch…so few seem to realize the difference between a magazine and a clip…

M-1s use clips, ARs and most semis nowadays use mags. The difference is the spring!

Miss_Anthrope on December 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM

ourdeucer on December 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I’ve wanted a Judge for a long time, and fondled several at our range for months (a business associate actually bought 2 of them)…finally got to fire a rental there a few months back.

Not a fan of a titanium short-nose .45, but it handles well with the .410 shot shells instead. Me likey.

Miss_Anthrope on December 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM

They didn’t know each other

This link doesn’t work very well, I don’t trust it

Dollayo on December 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I heard this yesterday. It is sad. This lady did not want to have to shoot anybody, that was plain.

Terrye on December 8, 2009 at 1:04 PM

fourdeucer on December 8, 2009 at 11:55 AM

You know, we actually had some expansion issues with certain .357 ammunition…we’d resort to shooting .38. When you take into account the rounds kick less as well, it made .38 rounds a good choice.

Miss_Anthrope on December 8, 2009 at 1:05 PM

It looks like the quote “I’ll kill him graveyard dead” is being noted as the most powerful moment.

To me it was the last whispered quote, “Oh dear Father, I’m so sorry.”

The dispatcher was so supportive of this woman. I hope if I’m ever in the same situation I’ll be just as clear thinking and get the same sort of emergency support.

caygeon on December 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Miss_Anthrope on December 8, 2009 at 1:00 PM

You did the right thing in making your choice, don’t rely on what anonymous people tell you, do your research, be informed, be comfortable, confident, and competent and enjoy your right to keep and bear arms.

fourdeucer on December 8, 2009 at 1:14 PM

be polite, be professional, be courteous, but have a plan to kill every single person you meet

seaniep on December 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM

seaniep on December 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Isn’t that rule four of handgun self defense? I find myself time to time imagining self-defense scenarios and what I’d need to do to come out on top.

Holger on December 8, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I worked a similar case where three juvies with long records broke into a woman’s house. They thought she was gone when she didn’t answer their pounding on the door. They kicked in the door made it to the bedroom, where she was hiding, and that was about as far as they went. She was crouched behind her bed with a .25 auto. She ripped a clip across the doorway just as they walked through. One kid caught a round in the shoulder. The rest darn near killed themselves running away.

When I caught the kid he was explained what happened and said his shoulder was sore for about a week but healed up. He thought is was a ricochet and had bounced off him. We ran a metal detector over his shoulder and it sounded off. He still carries the slug, sadly with some pride.

She should have had a Glock 17. If a person breaks into your home, crazy or not, he should die. If he’ll do it once, he’ll do it again and again until he kills someone else. Better to nip it in the bud.

archer52 on December 8, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Yeaaahhhh, so we should legalize drugs because why now?

cynccook on December 8, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Maybe if this happens more often and the word gets around then the criminal element will think twice no matter how high or desperate they are.

I suspect that this creep probably had a criminal record and probably shouldn’t have been out on the streets anyway.

Seriously doubt he was an upstanding citizen.

The sad thing is this lady who was blissfully ignorant of this yahoo and minding her own business had to go through this and it will be with her the rest of her life.

Dr. ZhivBlago on December 8, 2009 at 11:47 PM