Always remember: 68th anniversary of Pearl Harbor

posted at 8:48 am on December 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Before there was 9/11, there was Pearl Harbor.  Both attacks had their similarities.  In both cases, we had a deadly enemy arrayed against us, but most Americans remained — or better put, willfully ignored — the threats both enemies posed.  Only after thousands of Americans died did the US awaken to the true nature of those enemies.

Sixty-eight years ago today, the Japanese Empire attacked our naval base at Pearl Harbor without warning or a declaration of war.  Within hours, their navy attacked American positions throughout the Pacific, including the Philippines, destroying our outposts and claiming the entire Pacific Ocean as their possession.  With the fortunate exception of several aircraft carriers that had been on an exercise that morning, the US had almost no Pacific Fleet, and many feared an invasion of the West Coast.

It took hundreds of thousands of American lives to defeat both Japan and Nazi Germany in the war that followed — a war that had already enslaved China years before on one side of the US, and half of Europe on the other side.  We thought we had learned a lesson on December 7, 1941 ,which was that we had to be prepared to fight a war in order to keep from getting surprised like that again.  Of course, we shouldn’t have been surprised at all by Japan’s attack in the first place.  They didn’t suddenly become warlike and aggressive on December 6th, 1941, as the Chinese, Manchurians, and Koreans could attest.  They had been attempting conquest (and succeeding) for several years in the Pacific Rim.  We just preferred to keep our eyes closed in order to keep from doing anything about it.  When we attempted to cut off oil to Japan, we discovered that negotiations and sanctions don’t keep war-drunk, expansionist powers from increasing their expansionism.

The lesson from that war is that appeasement and complacency doesn’t keep one from having to fight a war.  It usually forces one to fight from an extreme disadvantage.  That’s a lesson we have not remembered in dealing with expansionist powers in our own time, even after a second shock like 9/11 after years of complacency in dealing with al-Qaeda.  We’re falling back to treating radical Islamist terrorism like a Law and Order episode, and allowing one of the main drivers of radical Islamist terror, Iran, to arm itself with nuclear weapons with no consequences whatsoever.

On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Never forget.

Pray for the future.

thebrokenrattle on December 7, 2009 at 8:53 AM

I’m always worried about using the word ‘victory,’ because, you know, it invokes this notion of Emperor Hirohito coming down and signing a surrender to MacArthur.
Barack Obama July 25, 2009

gwelf on December 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

68th anniversary of Pearl Harbor..
It’s a good day to remind Americans to watch their backs.

philly_PA on December 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM

We need to look into the climate of poverty, ignorance, helplessness and despair and that caused the Pearl Harbor attack.

LibTired on December 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM

That scrap steel we sold to the nips in the 20s and 30s came back to haunt us.

Fletch54 on December 7, 2009 at 8:56 AM

No we won’t but our CIC will apologize to the world for us fighting back.

bluegrass on December 7, 2009 at 8:56 AM

The pictures always make me cry.

tree hugging sister on December 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM

My parents, like all men and women alive, remember that day perfectly.
Just like we remember JFK assasination, or 9/11…something transcend history, they become a part of the culture.
The irony is of the three one is constantly fighting to be remembered…9/11 seems to be the only nation shaking event that so many try to ignore, undermine, minimize, or disregard as being significant.

right2bright on December 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Never Forget

My grandfather was a Pearl Harbor survivor. He was stationed at NAS Kaneohe that day, one of the first locations struck. He served in the USN until the mid-60s and passed away in Kaneohe in 2001 at the age of 84.

DarkCurrent on December 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM

We just had locally one of the survivors of the attack die about a week ago. He was a Marine.

He said that when he ran out of the barracks all he could grab was a “damned shotgun”. Wasn’t much use.

As most of us know, that our carriers weren’t there was a quite a bit of luck. Had we lost them, that war would have continued probably another 2-3 years until we could get back up.

SteveMG on December 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM

I was wrong. I thought Obama had a 9/10/01 mindset. Now I realize his mindset is 12/6/41…

Kafir on December 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM

And we detained potential saboteurs without trial. And we won. Jus sayin.

Akzed on December 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Remember the Alamo.
Remember Pearl Harbor.
Never Forget 9/11.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS.

maverick muse on December 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM

On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?

It already happened. November 4, 2008.

csdeven on December 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM

In both cases, we had a deadly enemy arrayed against us, but most Americans remained — or better put, willfully ignored — the threats both enemies posed. Only after thousands of Americans died did the US awaken to the true nature of those enemies.

Sadly, this seems to be a recurring theme in America and it’s happening again, only from within this time.

I pledge my everlasting gratitude to those at Pearl Harbor and to those who fought in WW2. I lost one uncle in Europe and had another wounded on Iwo Jima. The “greatest generation” nearly gone, and sadly, nearly forgotten.

It’s my brothers birthday. He was born 2 years after Pearl Harbor. I’m calling him right now.

donh525 on December 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Last year’s election was a Pearl Harbor moment for conservatives. We got blind-sided. Now, the democrats are flying kamikaze missions on our land in a desperate attempt win at any cost with these “health care” votes.

We will win. They will lose.

SouthernGent on December 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM

My son has been stationed on a DDG at Pearl since 2006. I always look forward to his recounting of the days activities.

God bless that greatest generation and the current greatest generation that serves today.

csdeven on December 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM

And the current party in power is busy trying to tuck everyone back in and too many are willing to comply. Imagine if the brave men who were at Pearl Harbor just pulled the covers over their heads, rolled over, and went back to sleep rather than rushing to battle stations and mounting some form of defense. One poster mentioned the carriers, imagine if the Japanese had not received significant damage during their second wave what would have happened if the planned third wave had gone on to bomb the repair yards and oil farm.
But this is what is happening now. Since the previous administration was unwilling to name the true enemy, the people have become complacent. And the new administration wants nothing more than to just roll over and go back to sleep.

TQM38a on December 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM

There’s a sneak attack going on in the Senate as we sleep. Your government is preparing to take over your health care and how it’s delivered. And they won’t even have to fire a shot.

Rovin on December 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM

A little known fact about WWII is that we created more Japanese soldiers by our unwise willingness to fight them.

Had we simply listened to them and tried to understand their point of view instead of marginalizing them, they would have become productive members of the global society.

Bishop on December 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Where does Jesse Ventura stand on this?

Disturbed – Indestructible

Thank you fellow countrymen, past and present, for defending our freedoms and maintaining the United States as the shining city on a hill.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

It already happened. November 4, 2008.

csdeven on December 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM

You read my mind. Given which side Zero truly sympathizes with (hint: not ours), your time stamp is very eerie

ZeeMI on December 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

God Bless and RIP to those who didn’t make it through the day on December 7, 1941. Remember all who spent the next almost 4 years dealing with its aftermath in a war against national ideology and racial strife.

JoeinTX on December 7, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Wasn’t December 7, 1941 a time in which few would have foreseen the day when America would be led by a man of African descent?

Cicero43 on December 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

” Let’s remember Pearl Harbor as we go to meet the foe. Let’s Remember Pearl Harbor like we did the Alamo.
We will always remember how they died for liberty.
Let’s remember Pearl Harbor and go on to victory!”
-Remember Pearl Harbor

annoyinglittletwerp on December 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

It took September 11, 2001 to help me appreciate what December 7, 1941 meant to those who experienced it. My flag’s out now. It will be out every year for both.

artlover on December 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Thank you to those who served in WWII.

Mr. Joe on December 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Dec 8 1941 Japan occupies Guam.

Poking fun of Guam is typical of how we get mentioned in the media. Before the next joke goes out about my island, do some reading up on the atrocities the Japanese performed on my people. The citizens of Guam have been one of the most loyal of any people of the territorial lands of the U.S. and deserve to be recognized for remaining to be loyal to the U.S. throughout the Japanese occupation. Loyalty even today (despite very vocal opposition)with the build up of Marine troop levels transferring from Okinawa to my tiny island.

Right now a number of our senators along with some survivors of the occupation are petitioning for such recognition and duly owed reparations (that which other groups have already enjoyed). While I do not agree with awarding reparations for descendants of the survivors (which the majority have already passed away) I strongly feel that such is in order.

All due respect to the many lives lost at Pearl Harbor, but Dec 8 is the day I hold over December 7th for many innocent civilians were massacred for love of the United States and not because of their military service.

National Park Services: War in the Pacific, Massacre sites on Guam

(btw My father is a retired career soldier (U.S. Army) and a veteran of the Vietnam War. Despite the hardships his family endured during WWII he loved his country and defended her honor till the day he passed away last year.)

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:23 AM

ZeeMI on December 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Wow. I didn’t catch that. That is eerie.

csdeven on December 7, 2009 at 9:24 AM

csdeven on December 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM

That time stamp is creepy…you could not have planned that.

right2bright on December 7, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Good job, Ed, thanks for posting.

Tony737 on December 7, 2009 at 9:27 AM

“America is the second largest Japanese nation,” -President B. H. Obooba, Dec. 8th, 1941.

Akzed on December 7, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Cicero43 on December 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Wow. Ouch.

LibTired on December 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM

On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?

And will the NYT report it?

faraway on December 7, 2009 at 9:29 AM

On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?

The Russians, they’re so far away and have nothing to do with Iran so lets invite them to a strategy meeting. /Obama

- The Cat

MirCat on December 7, 2009 at 9:30 AM

FDR….

But always will our whole Nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory. I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory, and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces—with the unbounding determination of our people—we will gain the inevitable triumph, so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.

BHO….

I’m the only major candidate who opposed this war from the beginning. And as president I will end it.

Second, I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending.

I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems.
I will not weaponize space.

I will slow our development of future combat systems.

And I will institute an independent “Defense Priorities Board” to ensure that the Quadrennial Defense Review is not used to justify unnecessary spending.

Third, I will set a goal of a world without nuclear weapons. To seek that goal, I will not develop new nuclear weapons; I will seek a global ban on the production of fissile material; and I will negotiate with Russia to take our ICBMs off hair-trigger alert, and to achieve deep cuts in our nuclear arsenals.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM

While I do not agree with awarding reparations for descendants of the survivors (which the majority have already passed away) I strongly feel that such is in order…

…All due respect to the many lives lost at Pearl Harbor, but Dec 8 is the day I hold over December 7th for many innocent civilians were massacred for love of the United States and not because of their military service…
geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:23 AM

So which is it…do you agree with reparations for not? You say you do not agree, then you say it is in order.
On the second paragraph, nobody has a corner on misery and suffering…unfortunately their was enough during the war for most everyone to feel it’s effect.
Every child killed, for the sake of a political statement, is a shame…every “innocent” person killed because some dictator wants to own what isn’t his to own has brought misery on his people…relish your Dec8th, tomorrow, we will remember Dec7 today. It doesn’t diminish your weird obsession with being the most miserable…

right2bright on December 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Akzed on December 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM
According to their own cultural traditions, those American potential saboteurs proved their innocence and loyalty, having taught their children to retain their dignity and yet cherish our Constitution and to forgive and get on being within e pluribus unum.

Their traditional concept of “honor” wished forgiveness for being related to those who attacked Pearl Harbor. They bore the unfair but deemed necessary in its day brunt in America for Japan, for the industrial lords of power (Mitsubishi in particular), modern warlords who bought generals and owned the wealth of the nation, and manipulated their young emperor.

Whereas, Americans do not witness Muslims in the US doing their part to expose radicals in their midst, castigating radicals from their communities. On the contrary, they all claim to see no evil, hear no evil, and do no evil, contrary to evidence of established terrorist ties.

Where Japanese and Americans melded, the Muslims retain their sense of vigilante supremacy eschewing Americans and murdering “with honor” those in their midst who would associate with Americans.

maverick muse on December 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Geckomon, I served on Guam from 1976 to 1978. I’ll always have fond memories of that beautiful island, its people, and its food. And you’re right; the atrocities on Guam and through the rest of the Marianas should never be forgotten.

As for Pearl Harbor, I’ve been there, and arrived in the most stylish way possible, in uniform, aboard a US Navy warship (CGN-11, USS Chicago).

To all servicemen and veterans, my heartfelt thanks.

NeighborhoodCatLady on December 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

“Remember the Pearl” says an old metal pin with a pearl surrounded by the red,white and blue.

Not to be glib – but today’s my b-day and I do my part in keeping Pearl Harbor day alive. When asked when my b-day is? I say Pearl Harbor day and if they don’t know I give them a little lesson.

It seems like since Obama got elected their are less and less WWII movies on these important days. I know their movies (40′s & 50′s) but they tell the history of what happened.

hotdax on December 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Bishop on December 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

You’re in wicked form today. ;)

I shudder to think how President Barack Hussein Roosevelt would have reacted to the Pearl Harbor attack. For that matter, he probably would have blamed us for Germany’s DOW a few days later.

jwolf on December 7, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on December 7, 2009 at 9:32 AM
Bravo.

maverick muse on December 7, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Cicero43 on December 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I think other more important things were on peoples minds that day…and we still aren’t being led by a man of African descent (whatever that means).
You should learn to focus on the important things of life…and not regaling in victimhood,

right2bright on December 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

America’s greatest generation starting earning that title 68 years ago today. Remember the past or be doomed to repeat it. Beware the liberal that tells you the world loves us.

They don’t.

Hog Wild on December 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM

In other news Obama announces on this day that he is defunding radar stations.

- The Cat

MirCat on December 7, 2009 at 9:38 AM

right2bright on December 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Your comments are inappropriate. I am not taking any moral authority or demanding such. I honor those who lost their lives for their country on any day including Dec 7th. I just wanted to express my own personal connection. Way to crap all over my comment.

You are an a$$.

To clarify, I do not agree with reparations paid to descendants of survivors.

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Speech of American president who refused bow to Japanese emperor.

Ted Torgerson on December 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

A tribute:

Tom

marinetbryant on December 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

God bless the precious few WW11 vets alive today. My uncle was on the Utah when it was bombed. He survived, but many did not. I honor with all my heart all who are alive and died on Dec. 7 and their families.
I pray for our wonderful Republic.
L

letget on December 7, 2009 at 9:43 AM

NeighborhoodCatLady on December 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Our family was stationed at Ft. Shafter in the 80′s and we lived in Pearl City for a time as well. I am very familiar with the USS Arizona Memorial and of the history of Pearl Harbor.

Glad to know of someone who has served on Guam too!

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?

It will probably be coordinated to provide the next “crisis” that the current occupant of the white house depands on to get re-elected…or uses as an excuse to declare martial law and postpone elections.

Call me crazy but I truly believe something like this will happen. I think we witnessed one of the LAST peaceful transfers of power that we will see for some time. Soros won’t give up his very expensive prize easily.

Wine_N_Dine on December 7, 2009 at 9:47 AM

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Before certain miserable people point out in glee that Ft Shafter is in HI and not GU, I guess I was just too eager to post my comment and hence the confusing transition between the sentences.

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:23 AM

The only thing that I associate with Guam is the torture so many endured at the hands of the Japanese in WWII. Our American territories are beloved members of our nation and our loyal allies abroad are yet beloved.

Memorials should never be trivialized as “not enough” or insignificant in comparison to the hardship endured. Put your efforts in lending community respect and awareness to honor all that the Memorial commemorates.

Reparations in Guam are NOT in order from the USA. And to demand is the equivalent of starting a new conflict.

Take your complaint to Japan if you must. But consider well that it’s best after all is said and done in a war that’s over to let bygones be bygones and make your alliances as best you can today to face the enemies confronting you today.

/How’s Guam dealing with their growing Muslim population these days?

maverick muse on December 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Amen. We’re going to have to answer for that someday, I’m afraid. And let’s see how oppressive the little tyrant gets this week with the protesters. He’s already arresting women mourners.

God bless all our brave service men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice 68 years ago.

scalleywag on December 7, 2009 at 9:53 AM

right2bright on December 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Cicero was cuttingly referring to the self-talkabouter-in-chief. Look up his Berlin Wall speech.

LibTired on December 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I lived in Pearl City for most of a year back in high school (late 70s). Being able to see the Arizona Memorial from our front door during the Carter years is part of what helped to make me a conservative.

When were you there?

DarkCurrent on December 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

We are losing the last of the WWII vets at a rapid pace. Pray for them and their families! Never forget that we are vulnerable. Show respect and gratitude to those who help defend us! Demand an end to the injustice being done to the 3 Navy Seals being court-martialed for doing their job.

LonelyMassRepublican on December 7, 2009 at 10:03 AM

The US prevented that from happening with the language in the surrendering documents. I too expressed the same opinoin you have, but there is always more to the story, that which really shouldn’t be discussed in this thread.

For the most part, the older citizens just want formal recognition. The demeanor of the people of Guam is hard to explain in few words. It’s always better to experience it.

/How’s Guam dealing with their growing Muslim population these days?
maverick muse on December 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM

We do not have any degree of fanaticism here on Guam as elsewhere (at least to my knowledge). Again, Guam’s social environment is interesting. It is so very welcoming to others that interaction with anyone is usually very amiable. I do not think we have a “growing” population in a sense that there are not overwhelming numbers. It’s our neighbors to the west (Philippines) and their Muslim population which exhibit violent behavior that concerns me

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Never Forget

DarkCurrent on December 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Most of the accounts I’ve read state that Kaneohe was in fact the first location struck. I remember going to the Kaneohe PX when our family was stationed in the Islands in the mid 1960s-we could still see the bullet holes in the sides of some of the buildings there.

Last visited Pearl in 2003-we wanted to visit the Arizona but would have had to wait in line for hours. So we took the Battleship Missouri tour instead. Strangely enough, when my brother and a friend and I went to the Arizona Memorial one Sunday in 1964, we were the only 3 people on the boat.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM

A dastardly and clever attack caught us unaware. We fought back and won.

today, we continue to fight back and will win the current battle against our enemies, foreign and domestic.

Remember Pearl Harbor Day.

ted c on December 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM

So thankful the Allies chose absolute victory as their goal. Had the objective been merely “a successful conclusion”, WWII would have ended much differently.

varnson on December 7, 2009 at 10:08 AM

BTW let’s not forget that some 70 or so civilians died in the December 7th attacks.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I remember back in 6th grade, my geography teacher had a Pearl Harbor survivor come and speak to us about his time of year. He talked about the attack and how he had to help wash down the deck and clear off the human remains after the attack. Obama’s anti-American stance and his callous regard of our fighting men and women in no way honors the memory of days like today and the memory of the Americans who perished.

kingsjester on December 7, 2009 at 10:10 AM

DarkCurrent on December 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I was there as a kid ’79 to ’84. We lived in the crater (Aliamanu) near Red Hill then lived in Pearl City for a time before rejoining my dad who was procuring housing for us when he was transfered. We lived literally behind the Pearl Ridge Mall in some very modern apartments. Three circular towers is what I remember. Sound familiar?

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Sixty-eight years ago, America saw a great evil and, in near unison, rose up and removed that evil’s shadow from the face of the Earth.

That was nearly a lifetime ago, and in a very different America. I fear we shall never see the likes of that America again.

Dave R. on December 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM

God bless those soldiers who died that day. Obama should heed wisely this advice if you harm america you will feel true anger from americans.

bessex on December 7, 2009 at 10:13 AM

my great uncle was on a ship that was NOT in the Harbor that day. he told the story that when his shipped steamed back into the Harbor on 12/8 (or 12/9), the oil slick was as big as anything he had ever seen. and bobbing in the oil slick were thousands of thawing turkeys that had been in the freezer on one of the sunk ships.

that is the curious vision I carry when I think of Pearl Harbor.

kelley in virginia on December 7, 2009 at 10:13 AM

On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?

Here’s hoping it is November 2nd 2010 when the Democrats experience a sneak attack that puts them all out on the street! What I would give for a picture of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi standing on K street with a “will legislate for food” sign!

highhopes on December 7, 2009 at 10:18 AM

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I went to Pearl City High School in 77-78. I think I lived further up in the hills if I remember where the mall was.

DarkCurrent on December 7, 2009 at 10:23 AM

\”On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?\”

5 November, 2009, Ft. Hood, Texas.Same circumstances- the enemy was ignored when all indications were that there was a danger.

Amendment X on December 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Copenhagen strikes today and has the potential to cause more damage to the world’s economies than WWII. Another sneak attack.

Socratease on December 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Amendment X on December 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM

For the next attack, using your critera above, is going to be during the GITMO detainee trials in NYC. We all know that it makes zero sense to try these criminals in this venue in a civil trial but the filthy lying coward and his criminal AG have decided to get these terrorists off and back on the streets in as public a manner as possible. It is just one more charge when the rat bastard traitor is finally impeached for treason.

highhopes on December 7, 2009 at 10:38 AM

I took my dad (WWII Vet) to Arlington/WWII memorial. Amazing the number of people that came up and thanked him. One lady, with tears in her eyes, came up and took his hands and said “Thank You; you boys went through so much for us”

The greatest generation ever! Thanks Daddy!

Larry
USN (Ret)

Larr on December 7, 2009 at 10:46 AM

On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?

Before the end of 2012.

manwithblackhat on December 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM

BTW the Pearl Harbor attack could have been much worse as far as damage. As Ed notes, all of the carriers were at sea at the time, and the Japanese for some reason never hit the sub base and fuel farms. The battleships were singled out because Japan envisioned a final battle between US and Japanese battleships, a battle which never took place. But the battleships, as well as the other ships, were moored in relatively shallow water in Pearl and were easily raised and repaired.

The Japanese had considered launching a 3rd attack wave of planes, but concluded it would be too risky, as the second wave had encountered improved ack-ack from out side, and a third wave would also had to return to the Japanese carriers at night. At the time, only the RAF had major experience in nighttime carrier ops.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 10:49 AM

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:23 AM

My later father served in the liberation of Guam with the Third Marine Division. Were he alive, I think I know what he would say about the notion of reparations.

tgharris on December 7, 2009 at 10:57 AM

If Japan had not done a “Sneak Attack”, one wonders how we would have responded, especially in Europe.

May God grant all who suffered in WWII peace. May he also grant those that suffered 9/11 peace.

But 9/11 was not a sneak attack and our enemy has not surrendered. They long ago declared war/jihad on us and some of us are reacting like we are merely being inconvenienced.

barnone on December 7, 2009 at 11:06 AM

To that, I’ll add Red China. They seem to fit the role of Imperial Japan a bit better than the Islamists:

- They have designs on Taiwan and the South China Sea.

- They have a financial weakness that the US has the ability to make very painful; the government debt.

While they are not as aggressive as the Japanese were, they do have very large and rapidly-modernizing armed forces. Is it more likely that they’ll roll over or try to improve on the 12/7 results of the Japanese if the federal government defaults on some of that massive and growing debt?

steveegg on December 7, 2009 at 11:06 AM

If Japan had not done a “Sneak Attack”, one wonders how we would have responded, especially in Europe….

barnone on December 7, 2009 at 11:06 AM

A lot more Lend-Lease, further “encouragements” for volunteers to serve as “privateers” (e.g. Flying Tigers, American citizens serving in British and Canadian armed forces).

steveegg on December 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Here’s the Pearl Harbor front page headline from 1941, compared with a modern headline on the terrorist trials in NYC: Crime! Declared on al-Qaeda and Other 9/11 Terrorists http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/11/crime-declared-on-al-qaeda-and-other.html

Mervis Winter on December 7, 2009 at 11:14 AM

My girlfriend’s dad was on the USS Nevada the morning of the attack, and was listed as missing and presumed dead for almost 2 days. He ultimately served on destroyers for the remainder of the war. Now deceased, h would be interviewed by local media every year and we have many tapes of him talking about his experiences that day. We will listen again today.

G-d bless all of the victims and gallant soldiers, sailors and airmen who died that day. Lest we forget.

J.J. Sefton on December 7, 2009 at 11:16 AM

On what date will the next “sneak” attack occur?

On that date the members of congress and the President should all board a couple of 747′s that have just enough fuel to ditch in the very cold North Atlantic. It will be a better way to go than having to face teed Americans for their treasonous behavior of allowing the attack to happen.

chemman on December 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM

As usual, our Leftist friends at Google would rather no one remember this day. Totally blank logo.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM

from al-AP; easily searchable.

Ed Johann will always remember the sound of planes diving out of the sky to bomb U.S. battleships, the explosions and the screams of sailors. He still recalls the stench of burning oil and flesh.

The 86-year-old retired firefighter is due to return Monday to Pearl Harbor for the first time since World War II to attend a ceremony marking the 68th anniversary of the Japanese attack.

“I really don’t know how I’m going to handle it,” said Johann, from his home in Oregon. “When I think about it, all I have is unpleasantness. I’m sure it’s not like that now.”

Johann was a 17-year-old apprentice seaman on Dec. 7, 1941. He had enlisted in the Navy only five months earlier so his parents, who picked and packed tomatoes and other crops in California’s San Fernando Valley, wouldn’t have to support him.

He and two other sailors were waiting to ferry passengers on a small boat to and from the USS Solace, a hospital ship that was moored in Pearl Harbor, when they saw the Japanese planes.

Del Dolemonte on December 7, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I hear us snoring yet again.

faol on December 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I’ve never known anyone who was there that day, but I did have the good fortune of visiting the Arizona about 5 years ago.

What a surreal experience: getting on the boat for a short ride to the site…seeing the oil still bubbling up(!) from the wreckage…seeing the names of all those who perished…setting a lei down in honor…nobody saying a word.

Seeing the recorded footage of the attack while growing up made it all larger than life. It’s a strange feeling knowing you’re right where it all happened.

Tak_Bulgogi on December 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM

The lesson from that war is that appeasement and complacency

Anyone ever hear the term “Isolationist”? America was not asleep Dec 5th, 6th or 7th. You were wide awake and adamant that there would be no blood for Europe. American Industry was still trading with Nazi Germany and you were taking that last of Englands liquidity to pay for her war materials as well.

History is messy and dirty, it isn’t just to cherry pick symbols from.

BL@KBIRD on December 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I served at Andersen AFB, Guam from early 1982 to late 1984. My family and I loved the Island and it’s people. You are right about the loyalty of the people of Guam. I have always felt that if the population reached a size sufficient to vote for statehood, Guam would be our 51st state.

I give a salute to your dad for his service to this nation. My condolences for your loss.

chemman on December 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Cicero43 on December 7, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Led?

Johan Klaus on December 7, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Thanks for the post, well done.

I also am not a fan of Newt’s desire to run for President (if he does) but his “alternative history” with William Forstchen (sp?) is very good.

As with other conflicts, so many “coincidences” (e.g., carriers not in harbor, choice not to do the “third wave” of attacks) literally changed the course of history.

God bless those who fought to defend our liberties.

cs89 on December 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM

The Oboob might want to pay attention to this qoute:

“I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.” [upon learning of the success of the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor]

Admiral Yamamoto
Blackhawk45
Born 12/7/44

Blackhawk45 on December 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM

One of my relatives said she is bored and has no idea what she could do today.

God….I want to puke!

csdeven on December 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM

geckomon on December 7, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Get a copy of the book “The Thousand Mile War.” It is about the invasion of Alaska by the Japs during WWII. The Aleut people were rounded up by the Americans and sent to SE AK to live in old canneries “for their safety.” Many of them died, not least of which because they were not used to the diet, the lifestyle, the culture or the diseases they were exposed to. I grew up with some of the survivors’ kids.

The Japanese were responsible for many tragedies during the war. Guam was only one of them. The American Military was and is doing what they can with what they have. To blame America for mistakes during war is to blame them for liberating Guam as well.

tcn on December 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM